Monday, February 4, 2013

Yes. . . .

78 comments:

Shirlee in NC said...

OH-this is wonderful, thanks Puddle.
Something to really ponder.

whitznd said...

And... Howard, of course, is first!

Good morning to all. I'm hoping this new morning and new thread finds all in reasonable health!

XOXO

Shirlee in NC said...

Pretty much recovered here in GSO. Waiting for our promised 54 degree day tomorrow so I can wander across the street and pick up a late birthday gift for my Cinci daughter--Dana.

Pat said...

Good Morning,

Thanks, Puddle, a beautiful beginning. Hope you're feeling better today.

The weather is wonderful, 65 degrees, no snow, and how much we need it. We are drying out.

Here's a YouTube presentation of the 50s and 60s. Great music, great dancers, cars, cars, cars. Enjoy.


http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=sDc0ID6PJeg&feature=youtu.be

Shirlee in NC said...

Hope all are well--as can be expected!
Mid-50's here--all body parts seem to be working. Took the opportunity to go down to the street and do my errand and chat with the neighbors!

listener said...

"Things done and left undone" is part of the Book of Common Prayer, in the Prayer for Forgiveness.

I have always loved it because it puts me in mind of the teachings of Reinhold Neibuhr (though the prayer predates him).

Have mercy upon us, most merciful God;
in your compassion forgive us our sins,
known and unknown,
things done and left undone;
and so uphold us by your Spirit
that we may live and serve you in newness of life,
to the honor and glory of your Name...


Reinhold Neibuhr:
Nothing worth doing is completed in our lifetime; therefore, we must be saved by hope. Nothing true or beautiful or good makes complete sense in any immediate context of history; therefore, we must be saved by faith. Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone; therefore, we must be saved by love. No virtuous act is quite as virtuous from the standpoint of our friend or foe as from our own; therefore, we must be saved by the final form of love, which is forgiveness.

listener said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
listener said...

Sorry, deleted the last comment to fix a typo...

As for health, Tuesday was my turn to be ill. :-( My uvula swelled up, my throat got sore, my fever went up to 101.8F, resulting in the usual body aches. I called in sick to work (thankful that my boss is always so nice about it!) and grateful for sick pay. Then I slept and slept and drank water and tea and and slept and drank more water, and eventually my fever broke. Throat is still on fire. Prayerful Vibes appreciated. At least it never bothered my stomach, and for that I am delighted!

whitznd said...

Many healing vibes your way Listener! Glad your fever broke and it never got to your stomach!

~* * ♥ *~ ♥ ~* ♥ *~~* ♥ *~ ♥ ~* ♥ *~~* ♥ *~ ♥ ~* ♥ * *~

Shirlee in NC said...

Best wishes, Listener--seems you know exactly what to do--so maybe no need to say continue to rest, etc. No go backs!!!!

puddle said...

Bad couple of days. Better/worse. But doesn't seem like it's recovering. . . The more I try to lean out of the pain, the more I lean into some other kind of pain. I'm going to try the morphine tonight, and see if that helps, at all.

Pat said...

HI friends,

Thoughts your way, hope that pain alleviates, that we all feel better. Sore throat, fever here. February is just not my favorite month: cold, dark, human pain.

Hold on, things do get better.

listener said...

(((♥ puddle! ♥)))

(((♥ Pat! ♥)))

A round of orange juice for everyone! *clink!*

. . . . . . . . ..o
. . . . . . . o . .
. . . . . . . . o
. . \____________/
. . . \ . . . . . . . . . /
. . . . \ . . . . . . . /
. . . . . \ . . . . . /
. . . . . . \ . . . /
. . . . . . . .| |
. . . . . . . .| |
. . . . . . . .| |
. . . . . .=====

listener said...

When I woke up this morning, my fever was not just down, it was gone! I felt great! Well, if you don't count that my throat still looks pretty bad and is still irritated. I made two pots of soup, which took about 2 hours. By then my fever was going back up, so I took a nap. Woke from the nap and the fever was gone. Got up and an hour later the fever was back even higher. So unless I'm LOTS better by morning, I'm taking another sick day tomorrow. (I called our sub and she is available.) That will leave me with just one paid sick day left until July 1st. Heh. But it's better than going to work at a public library when you're a walking petri dish.

listener said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shirlee in NC said...

Listener--old time saying--takes two days to recover for each day you are sick with something like this. If I were your boss I wouldn't LET you come in! Too much chance of 1) you not recovering as you should and 2) not fair to co-workers and patrons.

P.S. This is an old time saying because I am old and I say so!

TAKE CARE!!!!

listener said...

Shirlee...!

P.S. This is an old time saying because I am old and I say so!

=ROFL=

Yes, Ma'am! :-D

listener said...

The 10:02pm comment "removed by author" was mine. No worries.

Anonymous said...

Important public service announcement,even tho Jo said she would remove all posts of mine:

Contact: Bill Kisliuk
bkisliuk@support.ucla.edu
310-206-0540
University of California - Los Angeles

Scientists create nanoscale vehicle to battle cancer without harming healthy cells

A tiny capsule invented at a UCLA lab could go a long way toward improving cancer treatment.

Devising a method for more precise and less invasive treatment of cancer tumors, a team led by researchers from the UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science has developed a degradable nanoscale shell to carry proteins to cancer cells and stunt the growth of tumors without damaging healthy cells.

more

sea

Jo_in_Vermont said...

see, if you could just be respectful and polite like this all of the time sea. thank you for the post, here's a link for people who want to read mre:

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/tiny-capsule-effectively-treats-243192.aspx

Jo_in_Vermont said...

thank you for the thread, puddle! hope you are feeling better soon, this is scaring me sweetie. xoxoxo

hope you ALL feel better soon! <3

puddle said...

Sweet! Got a full night of GOOD sleep, only waking every now and again to note that I was in no pain at all. Could sleep on either side, and legs in any position. After surgery last year, I got 450ml of Roxicet. I still have 150ml. Dose is 5ml/four hours, and that's a very accurate estimate. Thank you all for all the love and concern: it does help!

whitznd said...

Excellent Puddle. Good sleep is wonderful for healing! And... stealing Listener's graphics:

(((♥ puddle! ♥)))

(((♥ Pat! ♥)))

puddle said...

Wow! Just got a six hour nap! Sleep deficit from five days seems to be pretty deep.

Shirlee in NC said...

Oh--wonderful Puddle!!!!!!!

Pat said...

Yea, so glad you got some catch-up sleep, Puddle, and are feeling better. Thank you Shirlee, Barb, Listener for your good wishes. I'm feeling better today as well.

The Feb. 11 and 18 New Yorker has an article on the woman professor in Alabama who shot six of her colleagues at a department meeting. It's entitled, "A Loaded Gun: A mass shooting and a haunted past" by Patrick Radden Keefe. In brief, this woman shot her brother when she was a child, and her parents called it an accident and covered up her mental illness. There's a photograph of her in the article, blank face, tiny frightened eyes. The father bought a shotgun after the house had been robbed. He and his daughter had an argument, and she brought it downstairs, intending to frighten or kill her father, and instead shot her brother.

So, I sent the magazine to our right wing representative in the Colorado House asking her to please read it or have a staff member read it. My position is all gun owners should be licensed, guns should be registered, and the owners insured against liability.

When more people have been killed by guns in this country than in all our world wars, we have a responsibility to protect our citizens. Research shows that weapons increase violence.

I told the representative that I wanted to see a strong two party system of people with integrity, common sense, and ethics, that the extremes just brought about stalemate and impedance.

So, it's probably useless, but I am trying.

puddle said...

Barb, Nancy did a mail run for me yesterday, so I have Burt's book in hand, and Thank You!! Thank him for the inscription! Any day now, I'll be caught up on my sleep and begin it!! ♥

Jo_in_Vermont said...

good for you Pat! well done!

Puddle you are going to really enjoy the book! I've had a lot going on so am just a bit more than halfway thru it - I love it! it caught me right away! Barb please tell Burt to please keep writing!

whitznd said...

Puddle, SOOOO glad you received it!

Jo! I will tell him! He's about 3/4 done with the 1st sequel and about 1/3 done with the second sequel.

Love all your feedback. Feel free to share your opinions on FB.

XOXO to all

listener said...

Just heard that they've closed Massachusetts ahead of the worst of the blizzard. Everyone is thinking of The Blizzard of '78 when cars were stuck on the interstate for many days, and people had to be rescued from their cars. It was a very bad situation...hitting just as this one, with the heaviest part arriving in time for the evening rush hour commute. My brother was stuck on ill-fated Rte. 128, but was lucky that it happened near enough to his exit that he was able to walk home...arriving like a snowman!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

listener wasn't that one of the storms where the state allowed snowmobiles on the roadways to help rescue people and bring them water and supplies? as I recall that's only hapopoened a couple of times, both with a nor'easter that met up with a storm from the west and got spinning off the coast and just dumped and dumped snow for a few days.

listener said...

Jo...yes, it was. There was no reason not to allow snowmobiles on the interstate, since there was no other traffic possible...it was jammed packed. It took several weeks to dig out all the cars. What a mess!

Pat said...

Good Morning friends,

Another beautiful day here, in the 50s. We already have wildfires, one about 6 miles from us, Alexander Mountain with three acres burning.

I'm off to Daz Bog coffee house to meet with fellow Green Fuse poets. I wrote this this morning.


Life Changes


So much has to do
with hope, the sense
of light, of kindness
and goodness, and beauty
now that we can be
aware, sit for a while
talk to a friend. Before
our lives were a scurrying
racing across the meadow
chased by hawks, searching
for sustenance, a place,
watching, moving, gathering.

What to do now that we
haven't
the need to leap to the
tree
bounding from branch to
branch
finding the nuts and hiding
them.

What's an old squirrel to
do?

Shirlee in NC said...

Pat--I LOVE your poem. Happy to be sitting and pondering :) Glad not to be jumping from branch to branch! Thank you.

Pat said...

Thanks, Shirlee, a huge grin here. It's such a pleasure when someone likes something we make.

Off now to Daz Bog.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

Lovely, Pat! hope you have a nice time today!

you might be interested in this art and poetry, I was just invited to the art gallery opeing by an old friend, thru facebook:

http://www.herondance.org/reflections/heron-dance/

puddle said...

Pat, done stole it for baby

Pat said...

Thank you, Puddle. To be on your site is an honor and a gift.

Snow here. Slow, only a half inch, but maybe, maybe more. I think of the Anasazi in southern Colorado and New Mexico, fifty years of drought.

Pat said...

Link to article about the young woman's funeral in Chicago.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/us/hadiya-pendleton-shooting-victim-is-mourned-in-chicago.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

An excerpt:

CHICAGO — By the hundreds, mourners filed into the pews of a crowded church on this city’s South Side on Saturday, clutching one another, weeping and wearing buttons adorned with the smiling face of Hadiya Pendleton, a 15-year-old girl whose death has come to represent the miserable cost of gun and gang violence.
Multimedia
Graphic
Where 50,000 Guns Recovered in Chicago Came From
Related

Michelle Obama to Attend Funeral for Chicago Teen Slain After Inauguration (February 7, 2013)
Chicago Girl’s Shooting Death Jolts City and Touches Capital (January 31, 2013)
Strict Gun Laws in Chicago Can’t Stem Fatal Shots (January 30, 2013)



Friends and family, along with members of the community, gathered for the funeral service.
Enlarge This Image
Courtesy of Damon Stewart, via Associated Press

puddle said...

Rather nice day, really. Off the big meds for daytime, and made it through remarkably well. Moderate and sunny. Evidently had a BIG wind last night judging from my wash tub being in the river, snugged up against a culvert. Had not the energy to retrieve it howsumevah.

Pat said...

Thanks, Jo, for the link. I checked it out. The art is beautiful, and I like the Eastern poetry also. I bookmarked it and will return.

Glad you had a good day, Puddle. Yes, there must have been a wind to move a tub.

We're getting snow, but it's light right now. How much we hope for a foot.

And so, I'm tired, I get wound up when I'm with people and then have to wind down. I know from whom a relative inherited ADHD.

Good night, friends.

Shirlee in NC said...

Glad you had a good day, Puddle? Question is--how do you retrieve your tub:)

puddle said...

Happy Year of the Snake all!!

puddle said...

Very interesting watching the righties' echo chamber. They dream up an incident, put their spin on it, and claim the left is panicked/pissed, and defend it. And win with blue ribbons.

Latest case: Ben Carson talking taxes at the National Prayer Meeting. I hadn't heard zip, so googled it, and it was all over the right wing sites. Nothing in the national news except the WSJ, which made no mention of the left or comments therefrom at all.

No wonder they lose so often.

Pat said...

Happy Chinese New Year. The snake symbolizes beauty, wisdom, intelligence and anger and pride. How human the snake must be.

My mother had nonstop energy, would probably have been diagnosed as hyperactive. Even in her 70s, and I in my 40s, she ran rings around me. Yet, I have some of her excitable energy. She was also creative, seemed to be able to do anything: garden, cook, decorate, sew, knit, write poetry, dance, sing. I think in her time she was much underestimated, had few opportunities in comparison to now.

She used to sing this to the tune of a marching song: "Be kind to your fair feathered friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother. A duck always lives in the swamp where the weather is so damp. You may think that this is the end. Well it is."

Amazing the things we remember from childhood.

We did get some snow, but only an inch. How much we need it. The drought is frightening.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

thanks for the beautiful description of your Mom, Pat and for the memory, I used to sing that all of the time!

puddle said...

We always did "flat footed friends," lol!

Your mother might have been my sister. She is just totally amazing. Took me till my fifties to stop feeling guilty about being low energy. And accept that's just how I'm built, and work with it.

Glad for at least some snow, Pat!

puddle said...

Feeling MUCH better: actually stood *straight up* for more than a minute and no pain. Just aspirin today, which is taking care of everything except the shin splints.

Pat said...

I'm glad for your relief, Puddle. Pain is a hard thing to deal with.

It's fun sharing the culture we all grew up with. While there are equally complicated and intractable problems today, they are different from those our parents and their parents faced.

We are getting snow! I think of the Anasazi peoples in southern Colorado and New Mexico who had 50 years of drought which destroyed their homelands. So, snow gods, we beseech you.

listener said...

Ah, the tune for that fine song is none other than John Philip Souza's "Stars and Stripes Forever."

"In his autobiography, Marching Along, Sousa wrote that he composed the march on Christmas Day, 1896. He was on an ocean liner on his way home from a vacation with his wife in Europe and had just learned of the recent death of David Blakely, the manager of the Sousa Band. He composed the march in his head and committed the notes to paper on arrival in the United States.[2] It was first performed at Willow Grove Park, just outside Philadelphia, on May 14, 1897, and was immediately greeted with enthusiasm"
~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stars_and_Stripes_Forever

listener said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
listener said...

(I removed a double post.)

Pat said...

Thanks, Listener, for the name of the Sousa March. I absolutely couldn't remember it. It's a pleasure to have knowledgeable people here.

Well, off to listen to On Being on NPR. Night Folks.

whitznd said...

I always said "flat footed friends" as well. Great story. And thanks Listner for the history on Stars and Stripes.

XOXOX to all

puddle said...

Yikes! Sympathies to anyone born in the Year of the Snake: http://chinadigitaltimes.net/2013/02/year-of-the-snake-draws-hisses/

puddle said...

Just talked to the lady at the garage: they came by and looked at the windshield wiper. Needs a part that Ford no longer makes. No substitutes either. She'll be looking for a dead body and a part to be donated. Pray. I *love* this vehicle.

Anonymous said...

Important public service announcement (which likely won't pass the approval test)

If we lose in Hedges v. Obama—and it seems certain that no matter the outcome of the appeal this case will reach the Supreme Court—electoral politics and our rights as citizens will be as empty as those of Nero’s Rome. If we lose, the power of the military to detain citizens, strip them of due process and hold them indefinitely in military prisons will become a terrifying reality. Democrat or Republican. Occupy activist or libertarian. Socialist or tea party stalwart. It does not matter. This is not a partisan fight. Once the state seizes this unchecked power, it will inevitably create a secret, lawless world of indiscriminate violence, terror and gulags. I lived under several military dictatorships during the two decades I was a foreign correspondent. I know the beast. (from Hedges in Truthdig).

Sea

Pat said...

Frankly, I'm a whole lot more afraid of our insane politicians and public who treat politics as religion and the 2nd amendment as a dictate from God. Over a million citizens have died from guns, more than in any of our wars.

The government has always asserted the right to detain people, and yes, it has abused citizens' rights, the Japanese internment, for one example, but in comparison, the gun-happy, violence-prone American people have perpetuated a culture of murder.

In the Jan. 11-18th issue of The New Yorker, the college professor who shot six of her colleges also murdered her brother.

Why on earth did Lanza's mother (Sandy Hook) accumulate thousands of rounds of ammunition, have assault rifles, and a son who's mental problems were severe enough so that he couldn't be left alone?

There will always be abuses, and yes, they should be corrected, but there are far deeper and older problems in Americans' misinterpretation of the 2nd amendment. Our militias are our police forces and National Guard, paid for by the public, regulated, held accountable, and the sheriffs are elected by the citizens.

We have lots of problems, and I, once again, think that Chris Hedges is an hysteric, but that's merely my perception.

Pat said...

correction: son whose mental problems... and Second Amendment.

puddle said...

sea, I know Rich killed the Fourth Way. This is NOT a substitute. And the NDAA ia *still* not a detention bill. Slither on home, now.

Pat said...

For some humor: Remember Tom Lederer and "The Vatican Rag"? Here it is. Off for a bit.


http://youtu.be/pvhYqeGp_Do

puddle said...

Owned that LP, lol!

http://www.lyricstime.com/tom-lehrer-the-vatican-rag-lyrics.html

Shirlee in NC said...

Oh, man--so did I and any others of his I could afford! Think at least some of my young 'uns remember him also.

listener said...

Went to a Managing Cholesterol Naturally seminar tonight offered by a holistic nutritionist. I learned more about my body, how it works, and what it needs in that hour and a half than in nearly 40 years of doctors' visits. And it wasn't a fruits and flakes talk either; it was solid with facts and information about how the liver works, which foods are good for us and more. Why doesn't the AMA offer programs like this? All they do is offer the food table and push exercise...and Statins. I'm going to blow away my AMA doc next visit.

Shirlee in NC said...

Blow 'em away, Listener. More docs --AND the AMA need to be learning more about this,or maybe it is acceptance. I have taken a good regimen of supplements for years--guided mostly by reading,etc--very little by docs--with some exceptions. Good Luck.

My dietitian daughter would say the AMA doesn't offer this because they are hand in glove with big pharma.

puddle said...

Grew up with a medically inquisitive mum, when it was a great deal more uncommon, and much more difficult, to get medical info. Must be at least partly genetic, lol!, because so many of her children acquired the trait: doc's visit, stop at the library on the way home. . . . Coupled with my dad's: trust nothing in print--find out for yourself, they didn't produce children who make good patients.

I knew my mother had crossed some kind of line in her decline when I was asking her about which meds were for what, and after telling me that this one was for blood pressure, I asked what her blood pressure *was* and she didn't know. I.e., she was letting a doctor give her a pill without being aware of exactly when where how and what for. . . .

Jo_in_Vermont said...

3 cheers for good nutrition!

Shirlee I would add that some docs, maybe most docs don't learn enough about nutritional supplements as well. the docs I've had that recc'ed them did their own homework.

puddle said...

Okay, Barb, just one question: What happened to Hatfield's dog?

Jo_in_Vermont said...

I was wondering the same thing puddle. I do believe that Rosa made a promise. I'm not finished yet, so we'll see...

puddle said...

Finished a couple of hours ago, and if he says, I missed it. So keep an eye out. . . .

Would have finished around noon, but dropped out at six this morning, more because the piriformis was starting to protest than any wish to sleep, lol! Got four hours before Beau insisted on going out -- late for him.

Great read!!

Pat said...

Hi Friends,

We'll watch the State of the Union tonight via video streaming on computer. TV bulb is burned out.

Just read on my homepage from Reuters, the Gov. has posted a 3 billion dollar surplus this month, first time in five years. Take that you Republicans!

Finished reading Brian Hall's 2008 Fall of Frost, a fictionalized biography of Robert Frost, but narrated from other biographies, interviews, and his poetry. A hard read. What fame extracted from him! A sister incarcerated for insanity, a father dead in his 30s of alcoholism, a son who committed suicide, a daughter insane, another daughterr dying in childbirth.

Then, so many poets committed suicide: Sylvia Plath, Anne Sexton, Hart Crane, Vachel Lindsey, Sarah Teasdale.

I think that fame and fortune must hollow people out, literally eat them alive. I'm glad to be ordinary, to be able to be the reader.

I think of the radio program On Being and the writer who was interviewed saying that this is the age of creativity, of sharing with our clans, that national fame is a thing of the past. Frankly, that's good if only to save people from the kind of stress and deterioration of so much demand.

Well, back to you after the State of the Union.

whitznd said...

Puddle, will have to ask Burt. I'm sure well taken care of tho. Burt is kind to animals.

Pat said...

Well, I'm happy, proud, hopeful, and grateful for President Obama and those supporters, staff,and citizens who have worked to elect him.

I thought the speech was meat and potatoes and vegetables, a vision of what we absolutely need to happen, straight talk, common sense, inclusion, and renewed infrastructure for a future.

Yea! Well done. Honestly, President Obama is the President I've waited a lifetime for, his ethics, intelligence, vision, understanding of different cultures, support for the middle class and common folks.

We are so blessed in him after two wars, 911, corporate and financial malfeasance, propaganda, deception, and generally an effort to destroy governance since Reagan.

Well, that's my take. Good night, friends.

Pat said...

Good Morning,

Hope you could sleep last night, Puddle, that you are not in pain.

Last night Winter, the crabby cat, and Molly Magee, the timid dog, came into David's study to hear the State of the Union. They have never done that before. I wonder. Do you suppose they know how important it is to all of us? Anyway, they sat there for the whole thing.

I hope your day is good today, Friends.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

Pat that is cool about your animal friends - yes, they do pick up on our emotions so well, I'm sure they knew that it was important to you!

Have a lovely day, ladies! I'm going to try to clean up the snowbanks at the corner of my drive and the street before we get more snow, widen it at the end a bit. I was running out of steam when I got to the end and it was sooo much heavier and deeper that the banks are pretty high!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

they were calling for another nor'easter this weekend but predict now that it will miss us and head out to sea, I hope they are right!!

Shirlee in NC said...

I love your take on our President and his speech--absolutely right from where I sit! Our best since President Kennedy--and he has stronger forces fighting against him in every way--every day.

And frankly, I am SICK of seeing John Boehner's pouting, angry face!

My computer says I have misspelled his name--TOO BAD!!!

puddle said...

No, "Boehner" is the correct spelling. Your spellchecker just needs to increase its vocabulary. One of the options should be to add to dictionary. . . .

Dab of snow here, and all kinds of warnings, but doubting it'll add up to much.

Only heard dribs and bits of the speech last night--radio reception was dismal. And I was drifting in and out of sleep. But I agree with ya'll: we have ourselves one very fine President, and I'm so glad to watch the rePublicans blowing themselves apart because of him.