Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Deaniacs at play. . . .









93 comments:

whitznd said...

OMG Puddle, you're such a scamp! Who is this person you are hugging?

And, Howie, be da firstest.

puddle said...

That's our Mz Shirlee, on our May lunch date!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

hi beautiful ladies! so nice to 'see' you! xoxoxo

Shirlee in NC said...

It was a WONDERFUL lunch date. I am so glad we were
able to do it. Brenda has had these on her phone, but we
have been busy with doctors, surgery and recovery until
just about now. I love these photos. Yeah, that Puddle is
a scamp and many more wonderful thing!

Shirlee in NC said...

....things....

whitznd said...

Wow! So good to "see" you Shirlee! and Puddle, as lovely as I remember.

Big appt. at the dr. yesterday. took MRI and Xrays of my back. and the dr came to the conclusion that maybe my back is having problems because of my bad knees! Thinks I should look into getting my knees fixed THEN work on the back. Sigh... Getting old is not for the faint of heart.

Pat said...

So beautiful the photos and that you could get together.

Yes, Barb, getting old is a shock, but I hope you can get your knees fixed and that will alleviate the back problems. I'm thinking, most of the mountain women I walk with have had knee problems and in some cases replacements.The problems for me are sinus, and I think it's from the particulates in the air from all the forest fires. I guess it makes us aware of our bodies and we have to take care of them as we did children and other responsibilities. The good news is that technology and remedies are amazing.

Cloudy day today, maybe rain. On one of my new aspens I planted, leaves were perky, the next morning, most were chewed. This morning all were chewed, but this is the territory of the deer and rabbits as well. Darn, I'm not complaining, just disappointed.

It's good to be here.

listener said...

&herts; Beautiful women!!! ♥

listener said...

& hearts ; that is. :-)

Yes, Shirlee, getting old is definitely not for sissies!

I like the thought of you feeling better after your knees and back are fixed up.

Shirlee in NC said...

Oops! I think that is Barb who has the bad back and knees. My knees are a little wonky from the RA. But,my back is fine!

listener said...

Oops!! LOL! Thanks, Shirlee. So glad you're doing better than I thought!!

My earlier comment goes double for you, Barb! ♥

listener said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
listener said...

LOL! My "double" comment posted twice, so I removed one of them. Not my day! Ha!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

the kettle came, listener and it's wonderful! it heats quickly and is perfect for what I need! thank you so much!

puddle said...

Barb, the doc may be onto something--Ive been "retraining" myself to lead on stairs with my left leg, and the sciatic nerve on the right has been feeling *much* better.

listener said...

{{{ Jo! }}} I'm absolutely delighted!!!

May it brighten your every day!! ♥

And all because of Howard Dean. :-)

whitznd said...

Good thought, Puddle. I'll do more of that. So one step at a time and lead with left. OK, I'll do it.

In the meantime, I need to fight Humana as they denied my going to a dermatologist to have a spot on my face looked at that turned out to be "pre-cancerous" which means what I don't know. I think it's prolly ok, but taking no chances.

In December, we go back to a PPO instead of this HMO that the slick salesman talked us into. too much trouble trying to get things covered.

Jo, Glad the kettle works, Listener, so happy you were able to send on.

Pat, :( for your aspens. what a bummer!

And Shirlee, you're sure lookin' mighty fine.

Many hugs and much love to all.

Shirlee in NC said...

Barb--do NOT delay in getting "pre-cancerous" spots
taken care of. I have had many,many on my hands, arms,
legs etc. They too easily turn from p-c to stage 1,
Mine have been the side effects of RA meds.

Is this group going to get caught practicing medicine
without a license?:) Love it, we have a nice variety
of ailments.

listener said...

THIS JUST IN:

My son just posted this report from the field complete with photos!

http://shorebirdscience.org/coats-2014-01/

listener said...

We'll stop "practicing medicine without a license" when they start practicing real health care! ;-)

whitznd said...

I do have an appointment to have the rest of it taken off in a few weeks. it's leaving a big scar on my face, but once the pinkness of it goes down, it can be more easily hidden with cover-up.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Pat said...

Thank you, Listener, for posting your son's journal and photos. Beautiful, interesting! What an amazing thing this Internet is that we can share in the experience so vividly.

Yes, Barb, glad you are getting that taken care of. About ten years ago, I had a mole removed from my leg that was precancerous. No problems since.

Wet, cloudy, somber day today.

Yesterday's Reporter-Herald of Loveland published a letter-to-the-editor that was full of hate for Obama. I wrote them this morning saying that hate was not discussion; it was dangerous and a disservice to all of us. Would the editor in the future respond to the writer insisting on evidence and reason before something was published.

I think that Fox News and other ideologically radical media have contributed to the deterioration of our society and government. Hatred is not acceptable as political discussion.

Anyway, enjoy the day.

puddle said...

Such *good* news. . . .

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/politics_now/2014/06/five-takeaways-from-cantors-collapse.html

Especially noted: " With the nation so deeply split now between liberals and conservatives, and with so few independents in the middle, winning an election is now much more about turning out your troops than it is changing minds -- and if you doubt that, take a look at Barack Obama's two presidential campaigns. "

so few independents in the middle

Pat said...

Hi,

Here's a letter to the editor I sent to the Reporter-Herald. I think it addresses the polarization, or I hope it does.

Dear Editor:
It’s a truism and a paradox to say that people don’t like change, and yet, change is occurring constantly. The stalemate in Congress and ideological extremism reflect our inability to recognize the need for change and to deal with it responsibly and reasonably.
The Second Amendment is an example. Two hundred plus years ago, it made sense to allow citizens to protect themselves by carrying weapons. We had defeated a colonial government, and didn’t yet have in place the National Guard nor local police departments nor a 911 for emergencies. Instead of providing protection, the Second Amendment now allows a fanatical minority to put citizens at risk.

According to national news, as of June 11, we have had our 74th shooting occurrence in our schools since the December 2012 massacre in Newton, Connecticut. The first responsibility of our government and families is to protect our children, and we are not doing that. Almost every day we read of and hear about gun violence against ordinary citizens, and yet the thuggish aggression of gun fanatics prevents our elected representatives from enacting laws that are reasonable and address the need for safety of our citizens. The only outcome of weapons is violence, and violence does not bring peace.

Our Supreme Court has chosen to promote capitalism over the participation of citizens by declaring that money is speech. If that were true, the only viable government is a dictatorship of the rich.

How long will we refuse to recognize that changes have occurred in our lifetimes that would not be recognized or understood even seventy-five years ago? How long will we put capitalism over representative democracy? How long will we put the right to amass weapons over the safety of our citizens, and when will reason, good will, and thinking about the future needs of our children and grandchildren let us put aside extreme ideologies?

Sincerely,

Pat Maslowski

Shirlee in NC said...

Thank you Puddle for the link and Pat for your letter to the
editor. Maybe, maybe the RW has gone too far for any
"standard" Republican out there. Here is hoping, etc., etc.

listener said...

Pat! Well spoken! I found your LTE to be very well expressed, and am even more pleased with your comments to the editor!! Hate is not acceptable and is not discussion. Bravo!

Thanks for your kind words about my son's report from the field. I am so impressed with his writing ability. All the photos are not his this time, but he definitely takes photos of that quality himself. I believe they did not make it over from South Harbour to Coats Island today. :-( Hopefully tomorrow.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

yes, Shilolh's blog post is great! I googled for some images to see what he looked like and there are loads of great photos of him and the birds that he cares for so much! ;-)

https://www.google.com/search?q=shiloh+schulte&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=egCbU_frG9KhyATx-IJY&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=783&bih=344

Jo_in_Vermont said...

oops - slipped an extra l into his name somehow - hurrying I guess!

Shirlee in NC said...

Fun times in GSO, ladies! Going back to my apartment
tomorrow. I can now walk a good half block and swallow all my meds with our having Brenda crush them!

I guess downtown is welcoming me back--the restaurant
across the street is sponsoring a summer concert in the city parking lot on Saturday night! With a GOOD band not the wretched, very noisy one from last time.

Across the street and down three stores is a 1902
store which has been empty for several years during the settling of the estate. A team of two young women developers will be restoring that completely. That will be fun to watch, check on etc. They have done other
work around town and have done a good job. It is great fun to watch an old city being restored. Just for Puddle,it all started with The Lofts. When a local banker decided to take a chance on what was the group of buildings making up a large hardware store.
Turned it into different sizes of apartments-- one of which is mine!, Have a happy day!

Anonymous said...

Health update:

For ALL joint problems:

Natural egg membrane

Read everything you can plus the comments. It heals, re-builds and removes pain.

Polls are showing that Indies are still the largest voting block and getting bigger. We're more disgusted than polarized

Many fine thinkers are saying that the country is now dividing into the crazed and crazy Tea Partiers (Cantor and war hawks, many of which are dems....and the new republicans (dems who have moved right.

Midterms: Disenchanted dems will vote for a progressive, and we now know that money and national exposure are not necessary. Cantor's defeat showed us the real truth. The repugs and dems are sick of their own parties. And there's a world of difference between an insane TPer an a progressive who wants to help the people and emasculate the corporations... and end the wars. Many dems now think war is just fine as long as their prez is a dem.

Iraq: It's time to look back and haul bushco to the Hague.

Obama is heavily leaning toward airstrikes. Huge mistake and would fail.

The IRIS is using American weapons we either left there or sent to Syria.

Iran is entering the war.

WE SHOULD STAY OUT COMPLETELY

sea

puddle said...

Shirlee, that is WONDERFUL!!!! Congratulations, I know that progress has a cost. . . .

Uproad visitors left yesterday; will be back for the 4th of July weekend.

Anonymous said...

A new powerful term for progressives....


I have spoken with the offices of both my senators today and introduced them to the term "Cantoring...being Cantored"

I reminded them that disgruntled dems and Indies could "Cantor" any dem pol in the midterms who we don't think is progressive and mindful of the wishes of the electorate.

The guy in Merkley's office laughed at the new term.

I told them both to not allow Obama to involve us in ANY way militarily or they run the risk of being "Cantored."

Remember, you saw this term here first. :-)

This Cantoring is a gift for true progressives, even unknowns and without money, to run against many of our Blue Dogs and even those who dare to let Obama enter Iraq.

We need to get the word out. We can win without $ and recognition. We can "Cantor" people. :-)

And you're all welcome for the news about egg shell membrane.

sea

puddle said...

Zephyr Teachout
30 mins · Edited ·

A handful of you have asked variations of Daria Roithmayr's question: "aside from giving, how can we help?" I really appreciate the question. If you're in New York, send an email to info@zephyrteachout.com with some expression of interest--petitioning for instance!

If you're out of New York, the hardest thing for a candidacy like ours is getting ongoing press coverage. So far, the New York Press Corps has been amazing. But the writers need backup with their editors. So the way you can help is by writing to the New York Times and other New York papers telling them that you want to make this race is covered because it has national implications. Likewise, tweets and Facebook mentions add up. Think of it as a thousand tiny pamphlets blooming!

This is about New York, but also two visions of what it means to be a democrat, the progressive populists v. the corporate democrats.

As all of you who know me know, I believe in people's intelligence and creativity and if you think of things yourself, please do them. Permission-free politics. Thanks.
LikeLike · · Share

Jo_in_Vermont said...

LOL! thanks puddle, that's how she made the Dean campaign so successful and why things tanked when she left... " I believe in people's intelligence and creativity and if you think of things yourself, please do them. Permission-free politics." I love her, we need more people like her running things in this country!!

puddle said...

During the Kerry campaign, we got permission from the local party and local law enforcement to have a gun raffle, proceeds of which were to put up a billboard for "Hunters for Kerry". . . . Never could get the Kerry peeps to agree, it didn't happen, and he was eaten alive by the NRA.

puddle said...

The "we" there were the three Deaniacs in the county. . . .

Shirlee in NC said...

The concert last night was "The Wailers"--the remainder of Bob Marley's band who now tour world-wide. This one I really enjoyed. Pretty much unpacked and back to semi-normal. Brenda will be back for our usual Sunday dinner
together. Grand to be home!

puddle said...

Shirlee, nothing, nowhere like *home*!! Congratulations on the journey!! Gives me hope, lol!

whitznd said...

Good news all around! Love Zephyr! Excellent news.
Washer died. Burt called 15 places - no one works on a Eurotech! Bummer. The dryer was a mismatch Bosch that has a broken front panel (cosmetic damage only) so we opted to get a matching, stacking, set. comes Wednesday. in the meantime, it's laudromat for me. Wash there, dry here.

Have lots to do today to get ready for the regular Thursday meeting. basically restocking my boxes with goodies to sell for folks to eat.

Hugs all around! XOXOXO

Shirlee in NC said...

Appliances are a great help --and a great pain. I am happy to live now where all large appliances are owned and are the responsibility of the owner and management company. One less thing to make life complicated.
Something doesn't work--call the manager. Amazing how
lazy one gets as aging continues!

Hope things work for Zephyr..

puddle said...

Just thinking--the Tea Party is 38% of the Republicans' voters, and 48% of their primary voters. The ultra progs are 10 to 15% of the Dems'. Hard to see how that translates into a viable threat. . . .

Been a beautiful warm green day. Blessed.

listener said...

I've been running from moment to moment the last few days. Today was a very sweet Father's Day here.
Our son who runs the Root Center, and VT*Grand took Bill and me out sailing today. Turns out 6 year old VT*Grand is a natural. She didn't mind that the wind was blowing 12-13kts and waves were splashing over the bow. She took the helm and didn't want to give it back. :-D We had to gently make her give it back in the mooring area, since it's too dangerous so near so many boats, but when we were going to pass the boat of a person Bill races against, we let her take the tiller. She did great. We told her our friend's name was Tom and as we passed his boat she called out "Hi Tom!" I added, "She has no fear. We're all in trouble." (It's rather true!) So that was fun! Ha!

listener said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
listener said...

(Double post deleted)

listener said...

Wow. I had just set out from NW VT for NH for my spiritual guides peer meeting to be followed by a meeting with my spiritual director. Decided to pull off the road to clean my windshield and, since I'd be running late, called my spiritual director, who would be convening our peer meeting, so he'd know and not worry. His wife answered and told me that he fell last night and is at the medical center awaiting surgery for some crushed bones in his face! Yikes! Just sent a teddy bear to him via the medical center's gift shop. Prayers ensuing.

puddle said...

via Kos. . . .



Consumerism and Dystopia

As someone who has worked local progressive politics in various places and gone extra miles to see what is going on at the precinct level for several decades, I think progressives across the US suffer from a variety of deeply psychological heart-level issues.

We are deeply pessimistic, perfectionistic and judgmental when it comes to supporting Democrats. We might just not vote if we feel less than complete enthusiasm.

Republicans seem to be much more eager to beat Democrats and much less perfectionistic.

There is a reason for the term, "Liberal Firing Squad" being a circle firing inward.

Then there is the disengagement of retired baby boomers who are well off and who might contribute more locally.

Suburbanites have fallen prey to the media inspired euphoria of consumerism. They are more concerned with maintaing their flower gardens and yards than engaging with others in the community on issues that matter. Dismissing it all as something to shrug one's shoulders over has become fashionable.

Perhaps My G-Generation never was unified in wanting to change the world.

George Bush was a baby boomer.

I find it harder than it used to be. When I look at a local Democratic club that has a membership with almost no one under 60 and which is largely a shelter from the world rather than an activist effort to move it, I tend to think of disengagement.

Folks who are under 40 are too busy to just sit in meetings with people who are not interested in action. So they stay away.

In many suburban areas there effectively is no Democratic Party where there could be one that takes advantage of experience and skill as well as youthful energy.

People like to talk back to their TVs but this is consumerism, not citizenship. It is hard to persuade people to see this.

People like their comforts and their excuses.

by Stuart Heady on Mon Jun 16, 2014 at 12:42:39 PM EDT

puddle said...

Barb, been meaning to amplify on the lead with the left on stairs. Watching myself, I realized that I now lead with the left going up, and with the right coming down, because both of those actions stress the muscles and nerves on the left side, which I'm NOT having trouble with, and not on the right side, which I AM.

Hope that's clearer. . . .

listener said...

"Folks who are under 40 are too busy to just sit in meetings with people who are not interested in action. So they stay away."

This is true. Some of us who are over 40 feel that way as well. But I think it is important to ask why a certain generation may have disengaged, and why they may mostly be looking for comfort or a good time. I doubt I have all the answers to that. But a few that come to mind are the times they grew up in. If they are over 65 they were strongly affected by WWII and the rebound of the 50's. They were shocked as adults by assassinations and protests and I think may have given up somewhere along the way, especially if they never made a good living. Those who did may have a sense of entitlement based on having perhaps been born during WWI or the Great Depression, and having watched their generation go off to war…and having won that war, they felt entitled to the American Dream in their older years. Their children may have been taught much about those same views and values. I don't think it's so much that they don't care, but that they think they already did their part. Some of them really have.
These are the same people (my generation among them) who got year after year of glorified American History, very little world history, and very little understanding of other peoples.
So how come I don't act they way they do? I grew up on the poor side of town in the Boston area, and had parents who were absolutely delighted about the election of JFK. They were sure that, being from Massachusetts, they would soon be given lots of extras. Ha!

What does it take to nurture a caring spirit? I remember author Walter Wink's image of each country and corporation having an "angel." Ever notice how the entire membership of a group can change over the years, but the group is still doing the same wrong things? That, he says, is because they have an angel that needs redeeming. He said Israel's angel is a red angel of anger. He also said that the USA's angel has one arm in a sling…able to take more than give.

What is needed to redeem the bad angel of the various groups we are unhappy with, I wonder? It might help to imagine what their angel looks like.

Anonymous said...

Grayson, Bernie etc are not ultra left.

The country is much more progressive then the duopoly. Both parties want something/one different.

And how do dems justify this, when they opposed the first invasion? It's time to"Cantor" a whole lot of dems to counteract the TP.
*************************
Breaking: Obama tells Congress U.S. deploying up to 275 troops to Iraq --President notifying Congress under War Powers Resolution 16 Jun 2014 President Barack Obama told Congress on Monday the United States was deploying up to 275 military personnel to provide support and security for U.S. personnel and the country's embassy in Baghdad after militants seized control of the north of the country. "This force is deploying for the purpose of protecting U.S. citizens and property, if necessary, and is equipped for combat," Obama said in a letter to lawmakers. "This force will remain in Iraq until the security situation becomes such that it is no longer needed."

**************
The Sunnis and Shias have been killing each other for centuries. We couldn't stabilize Iraq under bush and won't under Obama. Obama's legacy will be very tarnished at best.

I've threatened to help "Cantor" my critters if they don't stop this insanity.

sea






whitznd said...

Thanks Puddle. I don't seem to have trouble going up unless I'm carrying way too may groceries because I don't want to make two trips. then I hang on to the railing and pull myself up and do, generally, lead with the right.

coming down, I go backwards and have no issues. Of course, not so easy to do in public places and will remember to lead with the left so as not to stress the muscles on that side.

Plus, I do my PT at home. I hate doing it as it takes so much time that I'd rather put to other uses. Sigh...

Obama is doing the best that can be expected. Hate that all the old warriors are coming out and condemning him for not doing what they did - which was so good, doncha know. Blah. They were wrong then and they are wrong now. Thank you Obama for keeping us OUT of war.

Thank you all for being here. Much love and many hugs.

Shirlee in NC said...

Much love to all here--thinking about the steps problem and relating it to broken hips--the technique of stepping up with the best and down with the bad side is exactly what
was firmly suggested after my hip surgeries. Used it for years just to be safe. I had railings added to the porch
of the house I was renting in Palacios. Amazing how
many people used those railings --including my originally disapproving land lady! Those were the days! Now because I am so unstable my three wheeled cart and I
are limited to flat surfaces or ramps. Or the kindness of Greensborians to bump up a ledge or open a heavy
door. Take care all you stair climbers!!!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

seashell you don't know you're talking about, if you worked in that embassy you would want a few troops to show up to protect you or get your ass out of there too.

puddle said...

Bernie's a socialist (bless his heart), how does that make him *not* ultra left, lol!? What La-La Land do you hail from?

Trooth is, sea, you would have hated Howard as president. . . .

Barb, I'm glad you are getting the help needed, but it sure kin be a PIA, eh?

puddle said...

Shirlee, wish I'd figured that out a while ago! This is a muscle rather than a bone problem, but the docs tend to get confused about it. . . . The sciatic nerve runs under or through the piriformis muscle. When the muscle gets agita, it squeezes the nerve (which is huge--biggest nerve in the body). Whichever leg is affected begins to be favored, the rest is history. . . . Mine has acted up so often, and for such duration that I have permanently affected nerves in my feet. . . .

Shirlee in NC said...

Oh, my, Puddle --that is dreadful. Not to be nosy, but does that lead to other foot problems? My toes are so crooked and overlapping from RA that I can pretty much
wear only the sturdy, clunky shoes I had on when we were
with you or in the apartment socks and felted slippers
daughter Dana in Cinci makes. I feel as though I spend
a lot of time doctoring my poor, abused feet:)

Pat said...

Hi Friends,

This from my homepage, from the Los Angeles Times: Obama to Order Major Expansion of Fishing Sanctuary in the Pacific.

An excerpt: "President Obama announced a series of measures Tuesday to protect parts of the world’s oceans, including the creation of a marine sanctuary that would close a large swath of the central Pacific to fishing and energy development.

The plan would require federal agencies to take multiple initiatives to address pollution, overfishing and acidification of ocean water, which is driven by climate change."

'“Rising levels of carbon dioxide are causing our oceans to acidify. Pollution endangers marine life. Overfishing threatens whole species,” Obama said in televised statement to an international conference on ocean policy hosted by the State Department in Washington.

“If we ignore these problems, if we drain our oceans of their resources, we won't just be squandering one of humanity's greatest treasures. We'll be cutting off one of the world's major sources of food and economic growth, including for the United States."'

George W. Bush created the sanctuary which is southwest of Hawaii including uninhabited islands. It is about 50 miles. Obama would expand it to 200 miles.

Yea, Barack!

Beautiful day here, but we've been over busy. With respect to politics, I predict that the Republican Party will implode, that most Americans are pragmatic people and we've had six years of stability in a variety of categories. Health Care enrollment is continuing; we haven't declared another war; and the mastermind of Benghazi has been captured. The Republicans are silent.

We have so much here and if we can find a way to get along, to curb our militarism and greed, agree to protect the environment, to live those values that we believe are worth our efforts and commitment, what joy our lives would reflect.

Ever the optimist I am.

Have a good night.

listener said...

I have been very pleased with the actions of our President this year.

We're having quite the rainstorm tonight, with even a bit of thunder in the mix.

listener said...

It was warm and humid here, today. I was glad to need to drive to a spiritual guidance meeting, an hour and a half each way. Now we have at least 4 cooler days to look forward to, and less humid! Whoo hoo!

Anyone else feeling increasingly concerned about the situation in Iraq, the situation with fracking soon to happen in our national parks and wildlife refuges, and so on? Honestly, sometimes I think that as the planet heats up, people are warping!

puddle said...

Been hot, A/C on all day. Going to start back down for the weekend. And stay there for three or four days.

Not that worried, listener. Aware. But I think it helps to stay away from major media reporting with their heavy breathing tendencies.

listener said...

Well, puddle, I only heard some discussion about Iraq on NPR while driving. Later I found a no fracking in national parks and wildlife refuges petition on Facebook. Minimal media contact there.

I think the disaster in Iraq started with W invading. My own words to the reporter as I protested his impending plan, while nearly freezing my feet, keep coming back to me. I said, "We're talking about destabilising an entire region!"
The Shiites wouldn't include the Sunnis so now the Sunnis are killing the Shiites. And has anyone wondered what's happening to the Kurds?

I will never ever, even after a billion years, comprehend killing people for being ethnically different. Can that really be why they kill, or is it an excuse and the reason something else?

puddle said...

I think our tribal differences do/can actually create fear. I watched a Chinese nanny at a beach in China cover her charge's eyes (a six month old American baby) as they passed an African professor (likely her first African ever), and mutter Bu hao kan. (Not good to see.)

I think it makes it easier for "leaders" to direct the energy of their charges if the fear factor can be called into the the us/them equation.

Pat said...

Good Morning,

I just ordered The Geography of Thought, and examination of differences in thinking among Western and Eastern countries. It was recommended in Shambhala Magazine.

When we were in American Samoa on a small remote island, sometimes young children would cry when they saw our Western faces. Also, I noticed while teaching how many words the English language has for cut. Dissect, separate, divide, carve out, etc. I don't recall what motivated that thought, but I was teaching English as a Second Language, and a comparison must have come up.

There were a variety of experiences that revealed a difference in how we thought about relationships, values, and mores. I was startled and pleased when people offered to come and stay with me when David was off island.

Anyway, should be an interesting book.

A beautiful day here after showers yesterday, almost a perfect June for wildflowers and growing things.

Have a good day, friends.

Shirlee in NC said...

Yep, Listener the human race is a mixed bag. On many
levels and for various reasons we can be frightened, rude,
cruel, demeaning and hateful to others not like us. Can be racial, financial or social status. Witness the RW, the gun-toting idiots in the south (whose basic fear is of The Other, especially immigrants.) Even immigrants with
white skin had problems-- there were the 'No Irish Need Apply" signs across the country when boatloads of starving Irish emptied out into New York, etc.

All of this breeds fear and resentment in the oppressed
and can last for generations. My father who was four generations away from immigrant status would still
In his 70's come into the house, slam his keys down,
and exclaim "that d------d Old Queen"! It took me years to realize he was not talking about then young
Queen Elizabeth. No, it was family memory of Queen
Victoria visiting Ireland, being greeted with respect and festivities by the Irish, promising them relief for food
supples. She then went back and proceeded to order
more Irish cattle sent to England. These hurts can last
for generations. I see it in some of the African-American people here. A tendency to be afraid of making a mistake while doing a job. It is a little like
the fear of the lash is still there.

puddle said...

Shirlee, no just the nerve damage, which makes walking a little dicey because of the missing info--but there is *some* feeling; I just have to index and compare to the other foot which has full feeling. Odd, really.

I used to laugh, really, when I'd hear "Lao wai" (meaning only old outsider; but with a courtesy level of the N-word) from the mouths of two, three, and four year olds, who often spotted me before their parents. Now, a child that age has only 50 or 100 words altogether--and I wondered why one of them had to do with rude words for foreigners. My children certainly had none in theirs that young. . . . And in keeping my family of origin's tradition, none learned at home.

I do remember exiting a Buster Brown shoe store with a four year son, who was pulling urgently on my sleeve: Mom, mom, did you see that *chocolate* man? (The shoe salesman.) And mourn that our culture was such that he'd never seen or maybe noticed a black person until that age. Flip side: shortly before or after that, he'd come to the kitchen asking for orange juice (sorry, out, here, have a glass of water. . . . ). His going to the fridge: bad mommy, no milk, either. He held that glass in his hand, staring as if I'd offered him poison, lol! Finally, after smelling it, he tried tasting it, gingerly. Imagine: you can drink what you bathe in. . . .

listener said...

Stories. Ahhhh. There is nothing so fruitful as the sharing of stories.

Shirlee, I too have noticed people of color who go out of their way to be overly-respectful of me because I'm a white person. (I see less of this demeanor than I used to. Progress.) I have endeavoured, in those moments, to say something which shows that I consider us equal in every way. Occasionally it has elicited a huge smile or at least a twinkle in the eye. Bit by bit.

My great great grandfather came over from Ireland, and even my mother would mention the "No Irish Need Apply" signs. It kind of breaks your heart to mull such things. I'm sad it hardened so many hearts. I think a heart hardens when it has had insufficient protection. How ironic that those who pass on hatred to their children are actually removing the protection that only comes from love.

Pat said...

Good Morning,

I think that the startle and fear that children feel when they see someone who looks different from what they are used to is an atavistic tendency that humans must have had when we were small clans.

I remember being in Hudson's Department Store in downtown Detroit when I was 7 or 8 and looking around at people who looked very different from me. I stood on top of the escalator, unable to move for fear. In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, most people looked just like me.

But, surely in the 21st century we should be able to recognize that the world is various and humanity is global.

I can't help but think much of the anger directed at our President is that atavistic tendency, a fear and dislike of someone who looks different, and ironically, he represents the U.S. in an essential way, a man of African and European heritage, in himself the peace we've needed since our early days of slavery.

Well, lovely day, friends. Enjoy.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

Good morning Ladies! it is another absolutely gorgeous day here, the last few days we've had mostly a lovely a blue sky with temps in the 70s during the day, 40-50s at night and that will hold until Monday. it's heaven to me!

my grandsons who live here in Burlington are blessed to be growing and learning with so many different cultures. more than 60 languages are spoken in their schools. my oldest grandson Riley, who is 11 has been called the class diplomat by his teachers. it seems that he's the one who includes the new students and makes them feel welcome! I am very proud of that young man!

puddle said...

Jo, give him a kiss from me. What a lovely child!!

Warmish today, but not unbearable and should be getting cooler for the weekend.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

I will puddle!

listener said...

How I love coming by the blog here and reading the musings of this wonderful group of wise women!

"They were wrong then and they are wrong now."

"It is a little like the fear of the lash is still there."

"Imagine…you can drink what you bathe in."

"in himself the peace we've needed"

"he's the one who includes the new students and makes them feel welcome!"

Always a feast here!

I sure wish we'd hear something more from Arctic Field Camp. It's been 5 days since they wrote the last report, which said they were delayed.

Our son called here on the satellite phone on Father's day AND WE MISSED THE CALL because we weren't home. He said in the call that they were at Field Camp and catching birds and he was fine. So I assume that meant they finally got the flight onto Coats Island, and that they hit the ground running to make up for the lost time. But it sure would be good to have confirmation of that…and some sign that they're all still present and accounted for. ;-)

Shirlee in NC said...

Good thoughts for your son, Listener. I am a terrible worry-wart when I don't hear from my scattered family as expected. Is that still the protective motherhood gene
still at work--even though they are adults? I reckon so.

puddle said...

listner, bummer about missing the call. At least you know he *can* call, if needed.

Shirlee, some news from facebook about the credit card processor for Hampton Inns (and other hotels) being hacked. Suggestion was that everyone check their statements for fraud purchases. . . .

Rain and cooler temps up for the next ten days.

listener said...

How was Summer Solstice for you?

We were out with VT*Grand as the sun set, and pulled the car over to watch it set. Later we tried to see the Space Station go over, but clouds had invaded by then.

Around 11:30pm we realized that Spinnaker wasn't in the house…anywhere. Then I discovered a hole in the screen on the back porch. She did not come when I called her. A few minutes later, Bill found her under the bench out back. =Whew!= I know she would love to be an outdoor kitty, catching chippys by day and fireflies by night. Unfortunately she is mostly white, and would not long last in the wilds of our back yard.

Shirlee in NC said...

Will do that,, Puddle. Thanks. Listener, I had a kitty once
who was a major escape artist. She never went far-- just round and round the house and it's shrubbery. Finally perfected a technique which headed her back in the propped open door! Caroline Elizabeth-- I had her for
thirteen years.

puddle said...

My most astonishing cat was an INbreaker as opposed to an outbreaker, lol! She'd climb to the second story, and break in the plexiglass window while hanging on the wall of the house. She could push the lower corner in. She broke three different sheets at different times. If you remember the Thurber 'toon of the woman wrapped around the house, she always *felt* like that to me. . . .

puddle said...

http://www.sciencemusings.com/uploaded_images/Thurber-733704.jpg

puddle said...

Thing was: to have located that one weak window, she must have tried and tested every window, every door, every chimney and roof pipe. . . . And it wasn't that I was trying to keep her out--my door was open to any of the cats who chose to be indoor cats. Just seemed that when the urge hit her, she just could not wait. . . .

listener said...

Great cat stories, puddle! Thanks! BIll shored up all the weak spots in the screens today. So the kitties are allowed on the porch again, mostly unsupervised.

A neighbor cat came into our yard today and killed a chipmunk which 6 yr old Grand saw. :-(

Oh those cats.

Then we saw an odd looking item on the back lawn of our duplex neighbor. Upon investigation, it turned out to be something for target practice with a BB or air gun. And there were BBs in it. How brilliant-not!! This is a residential neighborhood and missing the target could send the blast to our next over neighbor's window, or yard…! Shooting in a residential area is illegal and it is also against the rule of our condo Association. I suspect the teenage son of our duplex neighbor's renter (they live there while he is away for a time). We simply picked it up and removed it. Wondering whom to contact first.

We have had the most beautiful Spring and a glorious weekend here. And VT*Grand has been here three nights. We are doing more with her in advance of our vacation, so we don't have to feel guilty spending time with ourselves. ;-)

puddle said...

68º and murky. Feels wonderful. No rain yet. Beau leaped off of the porch, creating some problems with his cable. Solved with minimum problem.

Life is good.

listener said...

Arctic update!
http://shorebirdscience.org/coats-2014-03/

Pat said...

Good Afternoon,

Yes, cats are something else. We have Winter, a white Siamese who yowls his arias beginning at 4 AM. We call him Orpheus. He's quite a curmudgeon, is about 14 years old. He belonged to our son and daughter-in-law, but was hiding in the basement because of the mastiff they got. So we took Winter who loves David, follows him around, sits on his lap, generally has bonded to him, and that worked out well because David was recovering from surgery.

Beautiful day today, and I am determined to clean out books, folders, papers, magazines, in short my house has become a warehouse, totally out of control, and it's my fault. So, vacuum cleaner out, duster, recycle bags, and determination. This may take me a year, but I will do this.

All is well here, hope this is true for all of us.

Pat said...

Wonderful update, Listener. A smile here.

listener said...

Shiloh (wildlife biologist son) just called!!!!!!

And this time I was home!!!

He told me that the report (see link upthread) was written 3 or 4 days ago and was supposed to be posted, but somehow it wasn't until today. The field crew was not pleased about that! Another post may be up tomorrow.

The news is that they have tried hard all week but have found only TWO (2) of the 340 geolocator-tagged birds! They don't know if that's because the birds did not survive or whether they went somewhere else this year. So they are spending part of their time helping the Canadian Wildlife field crew with other important work.

He says they've had only one ten minute rain shower, at night, and the temps have been as high as 50 or 60 when the sun is out. Really cold in clouds, of course, as it's constantly blowing 20-25kts. Also, they haven't seen a single polar bear, as this time of year the bears are over at the coast, harassing the seabirds. I gather that they are in the middle of the island, where a large lake and marshes lie. They leave Sunday and get back home mid-week. It was sooo good to hear his voice!!

Shirlee in NC said...

Pat--while we are talking books --were you able to purchase a copy of "the Arms of the Mountains"?
Interesting article in this weeks New Yorker about the
transition of the Argosy book store in New York from
father to his three daughters who all went to work in the
store as they graaduated from college. When the father
died they had each carved their own niche in the business and the final transition was easy. Happy to see
a book business continue and thrive!

Pat said...

Quick drop in, severe thunderstorms predicted tonight.

Hi Shirlee, Yes, I did purchase a used copy. The transportation from Britain cost more than the book which was pretty beaten up,but I don't care. I'm glad to have it.

It will be fun to reread what I read in 1971 that so inspired me to move to Colorado, even though the book is about North Carolina. Mountains are mountains.

What a June for moisture this has been. My aspens may even make it.

Take care.

whitznd said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! We're back The WA ST Democratic Convention was great. Lovely to see old friends.

The Gala Banquet was Keynoted by Governor Rendell of Pennsylvania. We were fortunate enough to be able to give him one of Burt's Cognitive Biases books. That felt good. Usually, when we give it to someone in a higher office, we see more sales for the kindle version on Amazon.

The convention itself was long and fruitful. The Planks could be modified by removing words, sentences or the entire thing. Burt had a problem with the one on energy and wanted to alter the nuclear one but you could not add a single thing. So next year, he is going to request that whoever has the energy plank committee contact him for exact wording that they need. He could help with all of the planks, but it is a great deal of work and he gets tired of the nit picky stuff when they are not the wordsmith that he is. You can only do so much so he will focus on the nuclear.


Then, we drove down to Richland and checked into a motel right next to the Columbia river then drove on down to West Richland to visit with Burt's brother, Alan and his lovely wife, Jean. We had nice dinner at The Olive Garden and took home enough for tonight's dinner as well.

Drove back home and picked up the "kids" at Cat's Exclusive, came home and let them get re-acquainted with their home. They missed us almost as much as we missed them. Sandy is, as Siamese do, getting darker. Shadow's fur seems to get sleeker. Such wonderful kitties.

But the adventure is over and back to work I go today!

So good to be back here to see my friends and all their adventures. Much love and many hugs to all.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

Hi sweet ladies! Just popping in to say hello and see how you are all ding. Barb you are amazing, Howard would be so proud of you!

it is a nice cloudy day, there's a fresh breeze and the birds were singing away when I woke up, they know that the rain is near. my wild roses stand out so well against all of the bright green - they started blooming Saturday on Mom's birthday and are really starting to pop now. she loved them so. there are light and deep pink flowers, with large droopy, sweet-smelling blooms. I love them!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

lol - how are you ding?! dOing. ;-)

listener thank you again for the hot pot, it works great! xo

puddle said...

Barb, you and Burt remind me SO MUCH of my parents! Yours is the household I was raised in, lol! Hard stuff to shake, grin.

(And thank you!)

listener said...

Jo, I'm so glad that:

♥ The hot pot is helping!

♥ The roses bloomed for your Mom's birthday!!

Shall I pick you up on July 16th for a lunch ramble?
I'd offer for sooner, but we're on vacation next week, then have Eldest*Grand here for a week. Let me know if that works for you, or the 30th of July. XOXOXXX

Jo_in_Vermont said...

the 16th would be good, thank you, it will be good to see you!

Have a nice vacation and loads of fun with your grand!

puddle said...

New thread!

listener said...

It's on my calendar, Jo! :-)

I'll pick you up around 11:15am.

Looking forward to it!! ♥