Jo and I had a fun visit today, with good food, good conversation, and a deepening friendship. We thought of all of you!
I was very happy to come home with some Bee Balm for my garden! It is already planted. I am so grateful!! ♥
And Jo! I finally found my Library paycheck tonight! It was hidden under a flap in my bag. The irony is that I had it with me all day and didn't know it. LOL!
Barb! I just read your post at the bottom of the last thread. You've really had a lot going on lately, haven't you?
Having been a chaplain on the cardiac units at the medical center here, I must say I'm glad you will soon be seeing the cardiologist. And good for you keeping notes! Atrial fibrillation can be so scary. Take it easy and please keep us posted! ♥
Thank you, Puddle, Jo, Listener, and Barb. Beautiful photos.
Barb, thoughts your way and a prayer. Yes, to find out what's going on and a remedy. Also, empathy here regarding the scar, but good to know it will fade. Darn, our bodies get our attention just like or much more than the weather.
But, we're here, and we care.
Rain yesterday and last night. Some places have flooding, though we're okay.
Here's a quote I promised to send Jo, and thought you all might appreciate:
"Don’t ever apologize for what little you have and what little you are. Don’t ever apologize for that. God is well apprised of who we are and what we bring to the table of life. That is our offering."
-Br. Curtis Almquist, SSJE
Br. Curtis is a contemplative's contemplative. When he takes your hand in greeting, he doesn't let go.
there was a shooting one street over from me this week, on the street that my son and his family live on. they happened to be away at Old Orchard Beach this week and when I spoke to them today they confirmed my fear - this was their next door neighbor Tom. had they been home not only would the shooting and the massive police response have traumatized my grandsons, my son most likely would have gone over to see what the fight (prior to the shooting) was about. Tom is elderly and Derek looks out for him, I shudder to think what might have happened if he were there at the time. http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/2014/07/15/burlington-man-shot-gun-struggle/12663005/
What lovely photos. Thank You to both. You both look very happy! Thanks, Puddle for giving the to us on a new thread. Now if we could get Pat and Barb--- together:). Howard Dean surely planted the seeds for some beautiful friendships.
Barb is your scar still open and healing? If so I can vouch for calendula cream it healed a bad laceration on my son's face and left no scar. you may know of some of these already, but here's a link with some good herbal suggestions: http://www.livestrong.com/article/415716-natural-herbs-to-heal-scars/
sending love, light and healing thoughts your way!
I am shuddering with you! I know it's not a good feeling at all.
Last year when the police shot a young man outside his parents' home, my son (who lived half a block away) was passing by just before the shooting started! He got quoted in the BFP.
So sad for Tom. So glad your son was away, and I'm holding him in my heart for any sorrow he might feel about not being there to help.
I'm with Nancy! you shouldn't have to put up with such crappy service. What would happen if there were a medical emergency????
Jo, scar is a couple of months old, I'm just surprised at the size since he took out such a small piece. there is bigger left to go. But, i'll check out the link for the future scar.
Dr was less than no help today. Referred me to yet another dr. Oh (waves her hand in a dismissive fashion) "I don't do knees, just backs. And we've already done injections and if they didn't help, there's nothing else i can do." Grump Grump. So now I wait until August to see the newest dr. sigh...
Jo, I just read the BFP article you posted. It almost sounds like Tom's son Matthew was attempting suicide and Tom managed to keep him from accomplishing the deed. Maybe. Gosh. I am so glad no one died! I couldn't tell from your earlier message.
puddle, I too stand with Nancy! Frontier needs to run a new line up there! Enough is enough!
Last night the first night in a week, at least, with no rain.
I'm sorry, Barb, and the insensitivity of your physician. That shouldn't be. I've known about four women who had knee surgery which was very successful. They are back walking the mountain roads with all of us.
It seems that there's nothing we can take for granted, and having lived long enough, we know how precious and precarious life is. I'm glad your son is okay, Jo.
If people are hard-wired physiologically and genetically, what hope is there for the world?
Well, the research I've read over the years on children who have near-death experiences may offer some clues. Of course, I'm not sure how to apply this to the general population. Ha! But see what you think:
Quoting: The New Children and Near-Death Experiences is the first book to provide--from the view of the child--an in-depth study of children who have experienced the near-death phenomenon and its aftereffects. Atwater notes that the child who returns from a near-death experience is not the same child as before, but is a “remodeled, rewired, reconfigured, refined version of the original.” Presenting data to support her contention that these children have experienced structural, chemical, and functional changes in the brain, she also shows how their greater empathic abilities as well as dramatically higher intelligence are qualities that are also present in children born since 1982--enhanced abilities that cannot be tied to simple genetics. Atwater shows that understanding the near-death experiences of children can help us prepare for a quantum leap in the evolution of humanity.
I remember a friend when I was in 8th grade. He was a free spirit, and we sat on an old army blanket on the lawn, reading Rabindranath Tagore's poetry. He was years ahead of me in knowledge, sensitivity, understanding. The last I read, on Google, was that he was a fisherman. He was brilliant and Michigan State University offered him a full scholarship in the honors program when he hadn't graduated from high school. I don't believe he accepted.
There are wonderful people among us, and perhaps someday, we as humans can find a way around our aggression, our greed, our lack of understanding ourselves and the planet we live on. I hope.
Here's some poetry from Tagore, found on Krista Tippitt's On Being website.
Rabindranath Tagore:
"Joy is everywhere; it is in the earth’s green covering of grass; in the blue serenity of the sky; in the reckless exuberance of spring; in the severe abstinence of grey winter; in the living flesh that animates our bodily frame; in the perfect poise of the human figure, noble and upright; in living; in the exercise of all our powers; in the acquisition of knowledge; in fighting evils; in dying for gains we never can share. Joy is there everywhere."
I've been thinking that life is so busy, so frenetic, that it's easy to lose the sharing of our stories. I'm thinking of writing now an then for a category, I'll call Generation Chronicles.
Yesterday, the 17th of July, I made a trip to Nederland. Here are some thoughts:
With all the rain, I was feeling cabin bound, so took a trip with Molly to Nederland. Traveling on Highway 72, I once again recognized the spectacular scenery of the mountains and valleys, in particular a few miles before Nederland, a vista opens up that seems to go forever into the Rocky Mountains. In the fall, it is dimensions of spruce and aspen, a blue green and gold, an embroidery of colors and shapes. Highway 7 before 72 is in bad shape with potholes, erosion, and ditches.
Nederland was buzzing and booming with tourists, cars everywhere, walkers, shops that before had been houses. Much like Boulder, the increasing population has been the source of infill, and there's a sense that it's very urban, maybe a smaller, less developed Estes Park.
I walked to the reservoir where there's a teen center. The Pioneer Inn is still there, newly painted. Our old rented house on 2nd and Northwest Streets is a business, connected to a feed store. It looked rundown, but then it's easily over 50 years old. Master Goldsmiths is a coffee shop. The used clothing store on First Street at the corner of 119 is a Gift Store. There are new and renovated buildings, most with tourism as venues. There's even a sidewalk along 119 for a ways.
In the mall where B & F Supermarket is, the Carousel, built over 30 years by Scott Harrison offered restrooms, and I needed one. I saw Scott standing in front of the moving carousel and looked at the amazing carved animals. A dolphin, rhinocerous, there must be a variety of two dozen. I thought of the Grand Girls and how much fun it would be to ride the carousel someday. It's really a unique and incredible work of art.
I drove past our old house on Pine Street. The roof had been repaired, large aspens at the edge of the driveway were new, the spruce trees gone, and the next door neighbor had built a huge house, practically on the property line. There was a truck in front of another neighbor's, but I didn't stop, since my purpose was just to look.
I drove to Eldora, and so many new houses, up on the mountain as in Nederland. The population had increased there as well. There has to be affluence to support so much building. But, again, the area is stunningly beautiful with mountains, forest, valleys, streams.
I stopped at the new Nederland Library and offered them as a gift, Gaia's Garden. They said they were thrilled to have it, since they want publications of local people.
How much has changed and grown, from 1971 with a population of 325 people, to well over 1500 in town and 10,000 in the valley. We learned so much, participating on the Planning Commission, the Town Council, the Zoning Board, the Library Committee and others. It was a nice balance between government institutions and local participation and volunteering. It was a picture of how towns and places grow.
So, I just wanted to share this with you. Time moves so fast. It feels like a century since we lived there.
I really am sleepy. Just got in from work and had lunch. Now I need to run some errands… but then a nap is in the plan. Definitely. Grandson comes tonight! :-D
When rested, I want to read your thoughts, Pat. Always so pithy. ♥
We may have had the same weather pattern here in GSO. Yesterday was sunny, mostly clear and low 80's. Today has been gray, damp and chilly--again low 80's. Yesterday. I went out walking and doing errands--today too damp and cool-- uncomfortable for all aching body parts!
How is everyone today? Still a gray day here, but fine enough to wander down to the book store and see what Is going on. They encourage just 'hanging out' if one-- or several--feel like it. Anyone here who is a fan of hobbits, rings and Tolkien? A number of new titles are out about the author and/or his world of hobbits, magical rings, journeys etc. Once hooked, that is it for life I am finding!
Tanner's in a lot of pain. It's new, and no one seems to be able to get a handle on what is causing it. This is from his mom, and heartbreaking: it is just incredibly discouraging when your child hurts and no one can tell you why and no one can help him. at times it gets so bad he wishes I had let him die when I had the chance.
Son and Grandson stayed overnight Saturday night and after a Sunday morning visit Bill and I drove to and from NH for a gathering of my cousins.
Very tired, but a good weekend. Grandson started off wondering who I am, and by the time they left he was giving me HUGE hugs and not letting go!! I could get used to that! :-)
so sorry to hear about Tanner - love and light to him and the family. I wonder if they have tried hemp oil, it I is amazing what it can do for so many ills.
puddle someone should call fish and wildlife about that bear, an injured animal can be very dangerous for people, pets and other wildlife.
Jo, good idea, but that was more than a month ago, and she hasn't seen him since she hung bacon on the chickies electric fence two weeks ago. He's really just a cub (first year alone). Hope he's fine.
I've never seen a bear down here (except crossing the road sometimes), but Nancy really does live with them. A couple of years back she had a cub who loved to use her SUVs roof as a trampoline.
I echo Jo's suggestion about contacting Fish & Wildlife…or any other Wildlife peeps in the area. If Nancy sights him again, they can come up and tranquilize him, check him over, stitch him up, and give him a powerful dose of antibiotic. My son has done that for lynx in Maine. There was one old Lynx that would come by every so often hoping to get trapped because the nice meat laced with tranquilizer was so yummy and getting your teeth cleaned and your ailments tended made such a nice spa! :-)
It's been hot here. We've been busy. This year still doesn't feel like normal. After the Sept. floods, evacuation, return, restoration of the post office,and work on the roads, it feels like we're still slightly out of tune, off rhythm. If this is how it feels when the problems at least for us were minor, how must it be for people dealing with wildfires in Washington and Oregon, people being displaced in time of war?
Just a quick question: why would Nancy hang bacon on top of an electric fence? It would seem to attract every critter from crows, to rats, to bobcats, to bears? I'm puzzled.
Sorry to hear of Tanner's pain. I've thought of him ever since you mentioned it. I hope the cause and amelioration can be found. I've been reading Nexus, a yoga/New Age newspaper distributed free to libraries and other public places. This issue was on homeopathic healing, and an internationally known healer, John of God from Brazil was mentioned. Certainly healing has been a major effort in humanity.
About the bacon. . . . Bears are pretty insulated by fur, so I'm gathering the fence wasn't really keeping him away from scaring the chickies, even if he wasn't getting in (she has a chainlink). However, with the bacon, mouth or paws would be involved, and the shock of the fence would make it through.
Drop-in: seems to me more than counter intuitive to draw the animals with bacon. Bears don't like ammonia, and there are other things that might keep them away, but to draw them to electric wire??
It's a balance, definitely to live with wildlife and domestic livestock, and there must be some guidelines that would help.
Well, we're cleaning the camper. Huge turds, much too big for mice. I wonder.
How do we respond to this really horrible day? http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5596930
My answer is to never cast another vote for people who have a war mentality and for people who insist that Israel is "our special friend." Our tax dollars built their Iron Dome etc.
We also need to vet pols backgrounds. All children of addicts, unless treated, can't run. That would have removed, Bushie, Clinton and Obama. Hillary is the co-dependent, also needing help. JMO
I will vote for Greens, Indies...not Repugs or Dems, unless they are exceptional.
The reason a parent's addiction is a factor in a child's development is because of *interaction* with the child. Obama's father was not a parent. He was a sperm donor.
I didn't know that Barb or BushDaddy were addicts. URL please.
The bear was *not* leaving despite all the actions being taken by a bear savvy lady. (She had one bear skinny up a 12 foot deck support up onto her deck, and grab the bird feeder outside her bedroom. That one was a grown up bear.)
She needed to convince him that scaring the chickens out of laying was a bad plan. Seems to have worked, lol!
I didn't know Obama's father was a sperm donor. lol Did that come out in his book? Link please. The Minority Report is a rightie rag trying to discredit Obama. So was Obama's mother artificially inseminated with his father's sperm instead of having sex? I'll bet the righties would love this to be true. Or maybe O's father just ran about impregnating women. That's another kind of sperm donor.
We do know that Barack's brother was into drugs and booze and now is sober and helping others.
Barack Obama Sr. Barack Obama, Father Feedback Barack Obama, Sr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama,_Sr. Wikipedia They had two daughters and a son together, Barack Obama (Sr). After Akumu separated from her husband Hussein and left the family in 1945, the three children ...
Background checks include the person running as well.
Bushie, drugs and booze, Clinton, sex addiction, Obama, family addictions, Hillary...Co-dependent with addict. There are many forms of addiction. Power, money, anger, pride, even cigarettes help repress emotions.
Now gone to avoid the I/P hot topic. I bet that woman who spoke up for the Gazans on MSMBC lost her job! sea
Hot still. I love this quote: "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." Bernard Baruch
I don't know of anyone who hasn't been hurt, wounded, changed by living. I know that humans are prone to addictions, whether it's an ideology, a habit, a substance, how we interact in relationships, even our own expectations. It's hard to be a human, and I don't know of any easy way to become our best selves. In fact, some of the hardest things are the best teachers.
So, let's keep trying, keep discussing, keep reflecting. Things look awful right now, but there may even be a purpose in that.
Puddle, from my perspective, I'm uneasy with luring a bear to eat bacon and get shocked. I do know we have the same problems here: people are raising chickens, have bee hives, and compost. A bear finally got into our compost barrel this year, tore out the thick plastic barrel top.
Well, I don't have the answers. I'm glad we can discuss. Good night, time to watch Covert Affairs on TV
Genetics and environment both play a role in Addiction. You cannot become addicted solely by your genetics. I'm not sure if you can solely by environment.
Thanks, Listener for the link. Not surprising that genes would play a part. I think "culture" does as well. I didn't start smoking until I was 20 and was facing a geology test I knew I would probably flunk. That Marlboro was a relief. 20 years later, I quit for good after Thanksgiving dinner, sleeping for 20 hours. Knowing what I know now, I'd never have started. Yet, if you were to offer me a cigarette, and if I took it, I'd probably smoke the rest of my life. Such are addictions.
However, to judge people on their families, on the difficulties they've overcome seems to me terribly unfair. We should celebrate people for their successes. I think Hillary Clinton's refusal to condemn Bill was heroic. She chose not to put the country into turmoil, and she forgave and supported Bill. That's a virtue, in my opinion.
A bear story: A few years ago, a bear broke into a chocolate shop one night in Estes Park. He (She?) did no damage to the store, but took away a lot of chocolate candy. That was a resourceful bear! But, living with wildlife is an ongoing complication since we have become so urban ourselves.
Well, more cleaning the camper, and maybe one of these days we'll go camping!
I'm not sure when the Dems abandoned Israel, but when I grew up, politically Israel's support was *our* issue. Somewhere along the line, the Republicans took it up and we, for the most part, have given it up.
For me, personally, most of it come from a TV show I saw in my early teens. NBC or someone was doing a "white paper" kind of thing on the Palestinian refugee camps. The interviewer asked a Palestinian man *why* they were insisting on staying in the camps. Why didn't they accept offers of homes/jobs from some of the other Arab states who were offering? The answer sort of burned itself into my heart/soul/mind: he didn't want his children to grow up healthy and happy, he *wanted* them to grow up deprived and hungry and HATING JEWS.
Not much in my sixty years since is at odds with that man's desire/wish/hope/plan. I've seldom ever seen a Palestinian admit that they left Israel because their leaders *asked* them to leave so they'd have a clean battlefield to destroy all the Jews the UN had deposited on that bit of soil.
The intent of Israel now vis a vis Palestine is VERY different from what the German/Poles desired and accomplished in Warsaw.
Jo! I haven't forgotten that you were interested in my nutritionist's information. Here it is, below. :-)
Her name is Morella Devost. Check out her website for a gold mine of healthy info and tips, including recipes. Her seminars are offered ONLINE for minimal cost. $15! Once you have signed up for a seminar, you can join in on the live seminar and ask questions live and/or go to the link any time all week.
puddle, I responded to your thoughts on Israel-Palestine over at HEP, including the link to NPR's story in which the UN folks are saying they believe Israel targeted Palestinian children on a beach. They are saying this appears to be war crimes. Ya think?
Golda Mier said once, to paraphrase, "When the Palastine people love their children more than they hate us, we will have peace."
Putting their munitions in schools, even if some are actually abandoned, makes it look like the Israelies are specifically targeting the children. Yes, they target homes of Hammas, but they call ahead to warn the families to get out.
Palastinians have vowed to kill every last Jew. Period.
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but facts are facts.
Hot and windy here, the grasses chest high, waving, and the bee balm everywhere.
About Israel and Palestine. I understand the emotion of hatred, but not the policy, not to live for revenge, not to oppress, not to murder, not to deceive and manipulate people. War, revenge, hatred has never brought peace. "When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?"
In France, now there's hatred being fomented against Jews by African-Middle Eastern Muslims. France has the largest groups of both Jews and Muslims. And to think that this is religion? What a species we are!
I don't know. I haven't the answer for hatred. We have an African-American President, in his person, someone who represents the American dream of peace, of White and Black as brothers and sisters, who grew up in a Midwestern, White culture, and Congress has never been more obstructionist and dysfunctional. The castigations, denigrations, accusations against this brilliant and principled President have never stopped.
"When will we ever learn?" And you can finish the chorus.
Is there anyone else here who is a fan of Hobbits? I have read and re-read all of Tolkien's tales but now the print seems to be getting smaller:) So, I had our new book store order the audiobook for me. Love it. T. wrote The Hobbit originally as bed time stories for his children. The story and his use of language is a delightful listening!
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
A smile at the quote. Too True! I've read the Tolkien trilogy five times; we have the movies, which we've seen at least twice. We called our Nederland home, Lothlorien (because of the golden aspens), and here on Storm Mountain there is a hobbit house. It looks just like Bilbo's house in the movies. As we drive on Snowtop, we pass through Cedar Springs subdivision, and I think of Hobbitown with the flowers, the hills, the log homes.
I guess the mythology has been with me since I was 20 years old. I met David on Mackinac Island. My college roommate had recommended The Fellowship of the Ring. David was reading The Two Towers. So, yes, an iconic and powerful story that has stayed. I was also reading Ayn Rand, but as you point out, Puddle, it didn't hold up to reality very well.
Well, camper cleaned, two celebrations today on the mountain, so two pots of baked beans cooked.
Very discouraged about politics. As long as it's about money and influence, it feels inauthentic, artificial, on the wrong track.
I forgot to add that we named most of our pets after the characters in the trilogy: Gollum, a Siamese cat; Gandalf, another cat; Strider, a black Manx cat; Pippin, a Pekingnese; Shadow, a mixed breed dog, and so it went.
Truly, except I had only one kitty and then cat and named her Caroline Elizabeth-- fit her regal personality perfectly! I had not been aware of the impact Atlas Shrugged had until a cousin I had always thought an interesting person began to talk about "everyone taking care of themselves." I was truly disturbed and shocked. My first thought--aren't you and your husband Democrats? I sure missed that one by a Michigan country mile!
kimmy's on facebook committing hari kari because she jumped the tracks in best kimmy fashion on an important test. Which put me in mind of a piece of my own history. . . .
When I graduated college in 1970, the economy was booming, and most of my friends went directly on to grad school. I dissolved my marriage instead. The next year, I'd had a bellyfull of private sector work and applied to grad school. But the economy was in trubble and they'd cut way back on funding for grad school, making admission way tougher. Time travel: as a young undergrad in my third year I was in the process of becoming Catholic out of a Mormon family. There was quite a bit of sturm and drang in my life at home, and I failed virtually every class that quarter. Took quite a hit on my GPA. . . . Later, they changed the rules, so if you retook a class you'd failed, you could erase the failing grade (I retook everything and got A's, but that didn't erase the fail on the GPA). Anyways, I got into grad school *provisionally* because I had a 3.4 instead of a 3.5 that year (the year before, 3.0 was the cutoff). Provisional status meant I had to keep a 3.5 for my first twelve hours (as opposed to a 3.0, required of non-provisional students).
My summer classes that year were "Bibliography & Methods" required of all, and taught by the most mediocre mind I was to encounter in grad school. I got a C for doing exactly what he asked (providing references for a paper he was writing for publication). The other was a seminar on Jane Austin, taught out of his area by a truly brilliant fella. Both of them told me they didn't think I had a mind that would fit in easily with what most professors were going to be expecting of me. The second guy gave me an A--not because he got a critical paper on Jane Austin, which somehow I couldn't do, but because he felt my writing was so brilliant be couldn't give it less that an A, even if that hadn't been what he was looking for.
I now had a 3.0 for my first six hours, and thusly required 4's for the next six. Very tempting to look for easy classes, eh? Except that the "easy" class was already my C, and my tough one was my A. So I went for the two toughest seminars I could find. Dr. Panichas's seminar on 20th Century literary critics had 12 people sign up. The second week, six had dropped it (rumor was they were terrified, lol!). I additionally lucked out that my critic was E. M. Forster, whom I adored. Dr Panichas wrote me a long critique on the paper which mostly pointed out I hadn't written a critical paper, rather, a "celebration" of Forster. And gave me an A, anyways.
I only got the one C in grad school; everything else was an A. I can look like I'm writing a critical paper; do the research, take the notes, provide the footnotes in acceptable form. I evidently cannot keep my own nose out of such an examination, lol!
Dr. Meyers of the Austin Seminar left me with a saying that has stood me in very good stead: There is nothing as nervous as mediocrity.
This is very interesting, Puddle. Thanks. Sorry about that "Bibliography and Methods" course-- it should have been MUCH more! Is it too late to ask for your money back;)!
Just came back for helping clean up from one of last night's parties. Great food, conversations, energy for getting together. Sockeye salmon and barbecued chicken, even some cocoanut shrimp. Second party was great also, a roasted pig and other dishes. Potlucks are the American Gourmet, I think.
Puddle, glad you had teachers that recognized your creativity. Creative people like to make their own ways, and when teachers recognize it and encourage it, that's what they should do.
It brought to mind as a freshman in college, I took a team taught Humanities/English course. I wrote a paper from the point of view of the blind story teller in Athens. My English prof, gave it a C, criticized it. My Humanities professor called it art and gave it an A+ and praised it.
I think in the olden days universities were much more rigid, much more lecture-recitation-do-it-my-way rigid. When I monitored courses as a visiting scholar and took courses in Library Science, I saw much more flexibility, creativity, and variety in methods.
Funny--when I was little, the thought of coloring outside the lines never occurred to me. By grad school, I could no longer discern *where* the lines were, lol!
Yes, Puddle. I'm hoping that Kimmys professor is a broad minded one. Kimmy says what's in her heart. I would love to get ahold of that test and her answers. I'm hoping that the comments help get her out of her hari kari mode. She is SO brilliant. And that husband of hers, too! Kids are right up there too. fantastic family.
At work so can't write much. Seems everyone has been busy with stuff. Typical summer, I guess. Catching up on what didn't get done in the winter because of the weather.
We're getting ready for our annual Summer Garden Party. Finally broke down and hired a truck to come and haul away 20 years of accumulated junk, old tires that were supposed to be growing potatoes except there wasn't enough sunlight where we had them, parts of canopies that collapsed under the weight of snow because someone didn't get them down after the summer, etc. Good feeling to have it all gone.
Now, just get the food all cooked and prepared to go into the freezer to be taken out in time and put into the warming trays. Lots of vegan stuff as we do have vegan friends.
Amazing, Barb--it seems you do this every summer. Bless Your Heart is what The Texans wold say.
Sad news from my family this morning. Expected great grand baby lived only an hour after birth. She was due, but sometime yesterday less movement in the womb, emergency c-section. Her parents were able to hold her for an hour as her vital signs weakened. Docs think a hemoglobin problem. Autopsy will be performed. This is the family in Kansas who had a mighty healthy little boy last summer. My son and his wife are on their way down. The mother's parents have been there for the last week. A blow,a blow-- because I know what good parents my son and his wife have been and how much they were looking for this little grandgirl to go with the grandboy.
Shirlee, I send my love and join my bit of ache to your great ache. This grandmothering business has rough sledding sometimes. Holding you all in the Light! ♡
We were away in Maine the last few days, where our little family was celebrating our 40th Anniversary (which was a month ago today, but PhD*Son was on remote Coates Island at that point).
The party the kids threw for us (immediate family only, at our request) was very nicely thought out. The space was lovely, the food scrumptious, and all 14 of us were present! We got THE BEST PHOTO EVER of us all together…every person looks good in the photo, no eyes closed, and all but Grandson were truly smiling (and he was cute). Amazing!
Some were over-tired and one snapped at another, which was almost the undoing of the event. But cool heads prevailed in the end. Mah*Sweetie and I are effecting some just damage-control, and I am so pleased that it's working great. We feel rather mature. ;-)
Our daughter-in-law, who is an artist, made a black and white drawing of a family tree, complete with names on branches. She brought a red stamp pad and had everyone make a heart by their name, using their index finger's fingerprint. It looks amazing and will hang in our entryway!
As I mentioned, the photo came out great, and our daughter and one son conspired to have a copy made for us locally and had it all framed to give us before we left! Pretty sweet! Others gave gift certificate to eat out, cash to get a big frame to hang a collage of the day's photos later on. We also received a framed watercolour of two chairs at the beach titled "Just the two of us." Very sweet! Another brought us a stone egg made of the original birthstone of the month in which we were married. And ALL we had asked for was a photo of everyone together, and some strawberry shortcake. Another daughter-in-law made buttermilk shortcakes from scratch. :-)
The ride home was a bit eventful. We offered to take some stress off a son and daughter-in-law by bringing VT*Grand home with us for an overnight. Good thing, too. Her parents (driving two cars, due to schedules) got caught in bumper to bumper traffic on the interstate, where our daughter-in-law got a claustrophobic panic attack. It all worked out, but was easier to manage without a 6 year old in the car. Plus, we were a half hour behind Root*Center*Son when his car overheated. So we got to do a road rescue. All got home safely. Yayyyy!
Ten more years before the next event of this type. LOL!
Not only that, but a lot of Dems are eager to stab
Obama and Kerry in the back if Bibi winks at them. They did exactly that when Obama pushed for a settlement freeze. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/23207.html
We could smell the charge. I wondered: Did Hamas just fire a rocket? But it was the sound of an incoming round. We saw a small fisherman’s shack on the quay, churning with gray smoke.
Then we saw a gang of kids running from the shack, down the breakwater and onto the sand, hurtling toward al-Deira. A couple of waiters, the cook and a few journalists started waving at them. Run here! Then a second strike landed right behind them.
I'm not sure this sounds like anyone was "targeting" children.
Israel gave Gaza/Hamas a ceasefire over the weekend, which Hamas did not keep. Israel finally resumed.
I was in a demonstration in 1970. The experience (though not the truth) was that gunfire broke out, and we ran like hell. NO ONE STOPPED TO PHONE THE NEWSPAPERS. Who exactly tweets in the middle of an attack?
The UN just reported finding rockets at two of their schools. Who do you imagine put those rockets there?
I feel like I'm a ping pong ball these days when reading the news and the subsequent points and counterpoints. Meanwhile, innocent people are dying. I find myself wishing that the people in power would get their sh!t together. Then I remember that we, the people, have the power. But can that also be said of the Palestinian people?
25 July 2014 from The Nation: Five Israeli Talking Points on Gaza — Debunked
The whole world needs to figure out how to give up automatic weapons and missiles and war. What causes people to be really cruel, determined to be in power over others? What can be done when those people have power and weapons? We need the best minds to come together. We need the best hearts to be a strength for good.
War never solves anything. At best it delays the problem for awhile. Only to the extent that people are able to rise up and not be intimidated by cruel people, will lasting peace be possible.
"The UN just reported finding rockets at two of their schools. Who do you imagine put those rockets there?"
According to the article I posted, the UN says that the two schools that had missiles were empty schools. Any word on that from another independent source?
And do you know what? If Hamas is hiding missiles in schools and hospitals, that is NOT a reason to bomb the schools and hospitals where innocent people may be!!! Hit the rocket launchers, not the missiles! DUH!!!
The article I posted, which was written on July 25th, mentions that the UN schools where missiles were hidden were empty.
I hadn't yet read that there was another attack on a school today! The school was targeted because it might have missiles? So it's Hamas' fault that the people died and not Israel's? Seriously? I think there's plenty of fault to go around.
Just off the top of my head: The Palestinian people currently have two groups who wish to lead them--Hamas and Fatah. After elections a few years ago, Fatah won. On the West Bank, Fatah is leading, and Palestinians are relatively safe. In Gaza, after Fatah won the elections, Hamas murdered and expelled Fatah. After the last Israeli incursion into Gaza, a few years ago, Hamas was going around killing and kneecapping Gazans it claimed were cooperating/supporting Fatah.
change of subject. I just saw the eye doc. I have 3 cataracts in one eye, growing fast, should be taken care of. trouble is that surgery will most likely make my corneal dystrophy worse and require a corneal transplant. I am most certainly going to need both so he scheduled me for 3 months and we'll see how things look then - unless things get much worse before then. sigh.
back to the conversation, I don't think Bibi and the Zionists nor Hamas have any moral authority whatsoever. they're wrong, they are hateful and truth be known they don't give a crap about the people that they are 'leading', not one bit. I'm glad to hear Obama speaking out against Bibi's actions for a change. it's all just so wrong.
Ah, Jo--eye sight is so precious.. Best, best wishes for you.
Our little, lost baby was baptized during the hour or so she had. So, the funeral will be Friday. In the parent's church. I am glad this can be done while both sets of Michigan grandparents are still in Kansas. I did not realize until today that it can take months for autopsy reports to be completed. Partially due to funding cutbacks in state medical examiner's offices around the country due to Repub. budget cutting.
"No longer will older Americans be denied the healing miracle of modern medicine. No longer will illness crush and destroy the savings that they have so carefully put away over a lifetime so that they might enjoy dignity in their later years. No longer will young families see their own incomes, and their own hopes, eaten away simply because they are carrying out their deep moral obligations to their parents, and to their uncles, and their aunts.” - President Johnson, signing Medicare into law, 49 years ago today
It is good that there can be a funeral, a way to mark the reality that this child lived and moved and had her being. In her brief hour she has changed the family forever, deepened the love and grew the hearts that were open to her.
A dear friend of mine was pregnant when I was, only her baby died in the womb at 5 months gestation. She had been planning a home birth, so, with her doctor's blessing, she waited for her body to birth the child on its own, which happened at the 6 month mark. I tell you that to tell you this: She kept a baby journal from that time onward, for about a year. It helped her so much as she reached the due date, recording not only the struggles she experienced but the little positive things that had changed in her outlook, because of the baby's presence in her life, however fleeting. I was given the privilege of reading the journal, and remember especially where she realised that the baby was teaching her so much about life and what matters. *IF* you think something like that could help your loved ones, you might give them a nice blank journal. Just one idear.
Jo, thoughts your way about cataracts. The technology for surgery on eyes is superb. I hope all works well for you.
Shirlee, yes, it must be a shock, a deep grief, and whatever comfort there is, I hope they can find it. My aunt lost a child to spina bifeda and said that it's a hole in your heart that is there forever.
About the Middle East, as David said, quoting Shakespeare, "A pox on both your houses." As is usual, it's the common, ordinary people who suffer the most. It seems to me Israel had a choice when the three teenagers were murdered: to handle it like an incident or go to war. They chose war as did Hamas. Just what is gained from war?
Rachel Maddow devoted her hour on Tuesday to what the Republicans have done to the Obama campaign for president and his presidency. I had forgotten that only 39% of whites voted for Obama. That explains the racism that has been unrelenting.
What to do? It's as if we were still primitives in our clans, hating, fearing, and using whatever methods we have to destroy the enemy. What to do?!
But, today is another day. Hopefully, the House vote to sue him will backfire. Where is the country I knew in the 60s and 70s with hope, a sense of adventure, a spirit that said we can make things better, can have a just society?
Ah, such intelligent conversations. Thank you ladies. I've been super busy getting ready for our party and taking time out for political things.
Took the voters guides around to my people. the walking list they gave me only covered about 1/4 of the homes I normally visit, so I grabbed a bunch of extras and did my own list. People appreciate getting the guide that is put out by the 46th LD Dems. it highlights the candidates and other things that the district voted on to endorse. Endorsement meetings are fun. We make the candidates bring a dessert and we sell dessert for all you can eat for $5 including coffee or other beverage.
I do know how to make money for this district.
Much love and light to all. Boss is here, so have to go.
why do you come and post here Judy? don't you have any friends? have you worn out your welcome with everyone else as you have with us here? you have never joined this conversation for anything but complaints about Obama. go away, you aren't welcome here. even when I agree with you I am disgusted that you aren't a friend here, just an agitator.
"I don't think Bibi and the Zionists nor Hamas have any moral authority whatsoever. they're wrong, they are hateful and truth be known they don't give a crap about the people that they are 'leading', not one bit. I'm glad to hear Obama speaking out against Bibi's actions for a change. it's all just so wrong."
Well said, Jo. All day I have been thinking: The end does not justify the means.
Jo, until just now I missed your post about cataracts. I'm so sorry there's yet another struggle for you. What is it like when cataracts grow? Is it clouded vision? Or? I ask because I have them too, and need to know how to tell when they'e getting to the point of needing to be taken care of. I'm thinking of you!! XOXOXXX
listener I wasn't aware that I had cataracts at all. with the corneal dystrophy my vision is very cloudy when I first wake up - the problem is that my corneas 'hold' moisture that is usually regulated and doesn't build up. in the morning it is worse because my eyes have been closed for so long and evaporation hasn't been happening. as it has gotten worse I have times off and on throughout the day that my vision gets cloudy and there is nothing that I can do about it, some people have relief by using a blow dryer and waving it back and forth in front of their eyes to 'pull' the moisture out - for some reason all this does is make my eyes hurt. it appears that my cataracts are very fast growing so we are going to check them in 3 months. in order to have the surgery I need to get my A1C blood sugar lower, so that will be part of the decision re: surgery. the good thing is that I really like this new doctor, he is at FAHC and would do both surgeries, cataract and corneal transplant. I checked into him last night and he has a 5 star rating with a lot of people who have responded positively about him and he has had wonderful results. I have known for a long time that the condition could lead to blindness - my Mom had it, it is hereditary, but hers wasn't as bad as mine and she died at 86 with pretty good eyesight so I have just been hoping that I wouldn't go blind. if my eyesight starts to get really bad my only option would be transplants - well I am much closer to that and now that I have this doc I have a confidence that I didn't have with the old doc so I am feeling much better about it overall.
I'm sad that the truce between Hamas and Israel only lasted 4 hours. I'm sad that two Israeli soldiers were killed and another kidnapped when the Israelis tried to destroy a tunnel. I'm sad that the Israelis were trying to destroy a tunnel during the truce. I'm sad that Hamas built tunnels. I'm sad that Israel has blockaded Gaza. I'm sad that Hamas has launched rockets. I'm sad that innocent people are caught between warring groups. I'm sad that people seem bent on destroying people who are different than they are. And all over a really small and crappy stretch of land.
The air quality is very poor tonight. We can smell the smoke from the wildfires as though someone in our neighbourhood had a bonfire going. Our throats and eyes hurt. I never imagined I'd be considering buying my first ever air conditioner because of smoke.
Writing in the Guardian, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg stated: "It is difficult to deny that Israel's military action appears disproportionate and, combined with the Gaza blockade, is resulting in the collective suffering of the Palestinian people."
He also criticised Hamas, saying it used its tunnels to "terrorise Israeli civilians".
Mr Clegg said even if Israel defeated Hamas, a "similar movement will undoubtedly emerge from the destitution and despair" of Gaza, so people on both sides must "find the courage" to call for an end to military action.
"Modern history teaches that you can't shoot, occupy or besiege your way to lasting security," he added.
"Peace only ever flows from sustained and stubborn engagement."
Labour MP Richard Burden, chairman of the Britain-Palestine all-party parliamentary group, said there must be a renewed drive for peace.
"That means a ceasefire now, and tackling the blockade - which is one of the root causes of the escalation in conflict we have seen over the past weeks," he said.
Jews were taken off their land and dispersed across the ancient world. They submitted to nearly two thousand years of being target practice for Christians. Not allowed to own or farm land. Forced to live in cities. When they accumulated capital because they became merchants, and financed various Christian monarchs, the solution was to kill them rather than pay them back. Whenever any scapegoat was needed for any reason, Jews were called up, and villages, communities slaughtered. After two millennia, and after the worst genocide attempt in history they were offered a way out. A people who had been denied the right to own land took the offer.
The blockade in NOT total. It filters out what may be made into weapons for use by a people who clearly mean to use those weapons to kill them. In the interim, every attempt to help the Gazans -- greenhouses, water, electricity -- has been spurned, destroyed or ignored by the Gazans.
Half of the Palestinians are living in peace with Israel. Why is that?
Do I think Israel should sit still and agree to be target practice for yet another group intent on killing them? I'm sorry, I do not.
Sunny day today. A tragedy, a dilemma, a history, human aggression, I don't think any of us can disagree about the horrors of the Holocaust. I read a book this year, can't remember the title, that documented how we were complicit in the discrimination against Jews as our anti-Semitic diplomats dealt with Nazi Germany.
In many ways, the institution of slavery, Jim Crow, the aggression and killing of Blacks haunts us today as well.
What can we do as ordinary citizens, feeling compassion, distress, sorrow for violence, fear, and hatred? Perhaps, whatever acts and thoughts of kindness and generosity we can make will contribute in some way to peace, to reconciliation. I don't know of any other way.
A week ago, I drove to Nederland, about an hour and a half drive, listening to Pete Seeger's folksongs. It felt wonderful, hopeful, communal. So many repetitions made it easy to sing along, and he advocated for prisoners, civil rights, the environment, and the down and out, despite the House Un-American Activities Committee censuring him.
Maybe it's person by person, like the honey bee pollinating flower by flower. I'm beginning to think that the most hostile, the angriest people, the most violent are the most wounded, the most hurt. How to heal? If we can find the ways, maybe humanity won't destroy itself and the planet.
So we discuss, make suggestions, reveal feelings, and try.
I think you have it, Pat. With that let me tell you all how proud I am of my son. Understanding the need for a small relief from grieving and while his family is still together in Kansas he decided to take them to the rodeo. Funnel cakes and all. Today, they are off to a cattle drive. I am happy he is helping them have some good memories and helping his son and wife have a bit of respite. Grieving will go on for all forever.
Adding to your beneficent note, Shirlee, this from our mountain network along the Big Thompson River where so many homes were destroyed in the Sept. floods.
This makes me smile as I picture it.
"Coming home this evening just about 1 mile west on 34 towards Estes Park I spotted a bear. At the Roughenit Wright cabins – the small brown ones that the bottom fell out and the washer and dryer are still hanging on the wall – there were lots of cars pulled over and sitting on the roof was a bear.
He was looking around like “Now how do I get down”. The ranger was there so I’m sure he will be taken care of.
You are where you belong Pat, I can tell from the love I hear in your tales of life in the mountains.
Shirlee I am not sure if you have ever seen a candle page. puddle created this one so that we can say prayers and share our thoughts of love for you as you and your family grieve.
Well, I am not a computer whiz, got the general site, made a couple corrections suggested by the site. Not sure if this can be made a live link--if not will get Brenda to help when she comes by tomorrow. Thank you all for your love and thoughts which I know are always there :)
So we discuss, make suggestions, reveal feelings, and try.
Well said, Pat. Yes, we can each only do our small part. But each small part matters. As Madeleine L'Engle reminded us, when we stomp our foot the vibrations go out into the Universe.
When I was a chaplain intern at the medical center, I was called to the E.R. one day, as a baby was brought in not breathing. The baby died. The mother worked at the medical center and had just gone back to work the week before. I was with the mother when she was told, and present when the father arrived to the terrible news. I baptised their baby. Then I kept in touch with the young couple for five years. Little Lindsey was their firstborn, and the most perfectly beautiful china-doll infant I have ever seen. Over those next five years they had another child, a son. He was robust and a SIDS death was not repeated. This young couple, so far from closest family members, did something so wonderful. Each year, on the anniversary of Lindsey's death (her "feast day"), they took the day off and did something with and for children, to help children in need, or bring all their nieces and nephews together…that sort of thing. They decided to honor and celebrate the bit of joy she was in their life, rather than allowing the sorrow to have the upper hand. They kept her birthday as a private holiday, but her death day they gave to others. I remain incredibly impressed by that. Such wisdom! Remembering her death would be so much harder on them than remembering her birth. How wise they were to allow others to share that day with them.
Two more little things to mention about the loss of little ones.
It really helps to massage a grieving mother's shoulders. A midwife might say, it helps to keep her present on this Earth, when her spirit might want to fly away with her baby's.
The most compassionate thing was said to my dearest friend after she miscarried her baby. Her pastor took her hand and said, "I'm glad we still have you."
That last is so incredibly wise, because a mother, at that loss, feels such a deep sense of failure, disappointment in her body, and lack of motivation to move forward.
My prayers are with the baby's mother especially. Love to all. ♡
137 comments:
I see Dean People! ♥
Dean and Deaniacs are First!
Thanks so much, puddle! ♥
Jo and I had a fun visit today, with good food, good conversation, and a deepening friendship. We thought of all of you!
I was very happy to come home with some Bee Balm for my garden! It is already planted. I am so grateful!! ♥
And Jo! I finally found my Library paycheck tonight! It was hidden under a flap in my bag. The irony is that I had it with me all day and didn't know it. LOL!
Barb! I just read your post at the bottom of the last thread. You've really had a lot going on lately, haven't you?
Having been a chaplain on the cardiac units at the medical center here, I must say I'm glad you will soon be seeing the cardiologist. And good for you keeping notes! Atrial fibrillation can be so scary. Take it easy and please keep us posted! ♥
For those who don't know what being in FIB is about, here's a link:
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/af/
By the way, Jo's yard is a bower of flowers with a nice pathway to her wooded area beyond. I put me in mind of an English garden.
What a lovely time you two had. That's so great! and, yes Listener, I'm hi-tailing it to the dr.
XOXOXOXXO
Thank you, Puddle, Jo, Listener, and Barb. Beautiful photos.
Barb, thoughts your way and a prayer. Yes, to find out what's going on and a remedy. Also, empathy here regarding the scar, but good to know it will fade. Darn, our bodies get our attention just like or much more than the weather.
But, we're here, and we care.
Rain yesterday and last night. Some places have flooding, though we're okay.
Here's a quote I promised to send Jo, and thought you all might appreciate:
"Don’t ever apologize for what little you have and what little you are. Don’t ever apologize for that. God is well apprised of who we are and what we bring to the table of life. That is our offering."
-Br. Curtis Almquist, SSJE
Br. Curtis is a contemplative's contemplative. When he takes your hand in greeting, he doesn't let go.
thank you!! <3
there was a shooting one street over from me this week, on the street that my son and his family live on. they happened to be away at Old Orchard Beach this week and when I spoke to them today they confirmed my fear - this was their next door neighbor Tom. had they been home not only would the shooting and the massive police response have traumatized my grandsons, my son most likely would have gone over to see what the fight (prior to the shooting) was about. Tom is elderly and Derek looks out for him, I shudder to think what might have happened if he were there at the time. http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/2014/07/15/burlington-man-shot-gun-struggle/12663005/
What lovely photos. Thank You to both. You both
look very happy! Thanks, Puddle for giving the to us on a new thread. Now if we could get Pat and Barb--- together:). Howard Dean surely planted the seeds for some beautiful friendships.
Barb is your scar still open and healing? If so I can vouch for calendula cream it healed a bad laceration on my son's face and left no scar. you may know of some of these already, but here's a link with some good herbal suggestions: http://www.livestrong.com/article/415716-natural-herbs-to-heal-scars/
sending love, light and healing thoughts your way!
{{{ JO! }}}
I am shuddering with you! I know it's not a good feeling at all.
Last year when the police shot a young man outside his parents' home, my son (who lived half a block away) was passing by just before the shooting started! He got quoted in the BFP.
So sad for Tom. So glad your son was away, and I'm holding him in my heart for any sorrow he might feel about not being there to help.
Wonderfully cool weather last night, today and for the coming week. Blessed, blessed, blessed.
Phone line's once again been crappy for days, and Nancy is urging me to find a pro bono attorney to sue Frontier.
I'm with Nancy! you shouldn't have to put up with such crappy service. What would happen if there were a medical emergency????
Jo, scar is a couple of months old, I'm just surprised at the size since he took out such a small piece. there is bigger left to go. But, i'll check out the link for the future scar.
Dr was less than no help today. Referred me to yet another dr. Oh (waves her hand in a dismissive fashion) "I don't do knees, just backs. And we've already done injections and if they didn't help, there's nothing else i can do." Grump Grump. So now I wait until August to see the newest dr. sigh...
Jo, I just read the BFP article you posted. It almost sounds like Tom's son Matthew was attempting suicide and Tom managed to keep him from accomplishing the deed. Maybe. Gosh. I am so glad no one died! I couldn't tell from your earlier message.
puddle, I too stand with Nancy! Frontier needs to run a new line up there! Enough is enough!
Good Morning,
Last night the first night in a week, at least, with no rain.
I'm sorry, Barb, and the insensitivity of your physician. That shouldn't be. I've known about four women who had knee surgery which was very successful. They are back walking the mountain roads with all of us.
It seems that there's nothing we can take for granted, and having lived long enough, we know how precious and precarious life is. I'm glad your son is okay, Jo.
Off to Nederland on a trip of nostalgia.
Pat
http://www.elixirindustry.com/ezorb/
**********************
http://balancedgreen.org/
The testimonials are startling as are the products. Read about the Fulvic Acid Minerals
***************************
And this too:
http://balancedgreen.org/dr.-note.html
**********************
I overlooked the biblical reference and I hope this helps some or all of you.
sea
Yep, Puddle--I join the call for cracking the phone company. Phone service is a contract--they provide the
service, the customer pays--right?
Keep us posted, Barb.
Sooo, have you all read the article about why conservatives are conservative and liberals are liberal?
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/07/biology-ideology-john-hibbing-negativity-bias
If people are hard-wired physiologically and genetically, what hope is there for the world?
Well, the research I've read over the years on children who have near-death experiences may offer some clues. Of course, I'm not sure how to apply this to the general population. Ha! But see what you think:
http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Children-Near.../dp/1591430208
Quoting:
The New Children and Near-Death Experiences is the first book to provide--from the view of the child--an in-depth study of children who have experienced the near-death phenomenon and its aftereffects. Atwater notes that the child who returns from a near-death experience is not the same child as before, but is a “remodeled, rewired, reconfigured, refined version of the original.” Presenting data to support her contention that these children have experienced structural, chemical, and functional changes in the brain, she also shows how their greater empathic abilities as well as dramatically higher intelligence are qualities that are also present in children born since 1982--enhanced abilities that cannot be tied to simple genetics. Atwater shows that understanding the near-death experiences of children can help us prepare for a quantum leap in the evolution of humanity.
Good Morning,
I remember a friend when I was in 8th grade. He was a free spirit, and we sat on an old army blanket on the lawn, reading Rabindranath Tagore's poetry. He was years ahead of me in knowledge, sensitivity, understanding. The last I read, on Google, was that he was a fisherman. He was brilliant and Michigan State University offered him a full scholarship in the honors program when he hadn't graduated from high school. I don't believe he accepted.
There are wonderful people among us, and perhaps someday, we as humans can find a way around our aggression, our greed, our lack of understanding ourselves and the planet we live on. I hope.
Here's some poetry from Tagore, found on Krista Tippitt's On Being website.
Rabindranath Tagore:
"Joy is everywhere; it is in the earth’s green covering of grass; in the blue serenity of the sky; in the reckless exuberance of spring; in the severe abstinence of grey winter; in the living flesh that animates our bodily frame; in the perfect poise of the human figure, noble and upright; in living; in the exercise of all our powers; in the acquisition of knowledge; in fighting evils; in dying for gains we never can share. Joy is there everywhere."
Good Morning,
I've been thinking that life is so busy, so frenetic, that it's easy to lose the sharing of our stories. I'm thinking of writing now an then for a category, I'll call Generation Chronicles.
Yesterday, the 17th of July, I made a trip to Nederland. Here are some thoughts:
With all the rain, I was feeling cabin bound, so took a trip with Molly to Nederland. Traveling on Highway 72, I once again recognized the spectacular scenery of the mountains and valleys, in particular a few miles before Nederland, a vista opens up that seems to go forever into the Rocky Mountains. In the fall, it is dimensions of spruce and aspen, a blue green and gold, an embroidery of colors and shapes. Highway 7 before 72 is in bad shape with potholes, erosion, and ditches.
Nederland was buzzing and booming with tourists, cars everywhere, walkers, shops that before had been houses. Much like Boulder, the increasing population has been the source of infill, and there's a sense that it's very urban, maybe a smaller, less developed Estes Park.
I walked to the reservoir where there's a teen center. The Pioneer Inn is still there, newly painted. Our old rented house on 2nd and Northwest Streets is a business, connected to a feed store. It looked rundown, but then it's easily over 50 years old. Master Goldsmiths is a coffee shop. The used clothing store on First Street at the corner of 119 is a Gift Store. There are new and renovated buildings, most with tourism as venues. There's even a sidewalk along 119 for a ways.
In the mall where B & F Supermarket is, the Carousel, built over 30 years by Scott Harrison offered restrooms, and I needed one. I saw Scott standing in front of the moving carousel and looked at the amazing carved animals. A dolphin, rhinocerous, there must be a variety of two dozen. I thought of the Grand Girls and how much fun it would be to ride the carousel someday. It's really a unique and incredible work of art.
I drove past our old house on Pine Street. The roof had been repaired, large aspens at the edge of the driveway were new, the spruce trees gone, and the next door neighbor had built a huge house, practically on the property line. There was a truck in front of another neighbor's, but I didn't stop, since my purpose was just to look.
I drove to Eldora, and so many new houses, up on the mountain as in Nederland. The population had increased there as well. There has to be affluence to support so much building. But, again, the area is stunningly beautiful with mountains, forest, valleys, streams.
I stopped at the new Nederland Library and offered them as a gift, Gaia's Garden. They said they were thrilled to have it, since they want publications of local people.
How much has changed and grown, from 1971 with a population of 325 people, to well over 1500 in town and 10,000 in the valley. We learned so much, participating on the Planning Commission, the Town Council, the Zoning Board, the Library Committee and others. It was a nice balance between government institutions and local participation and volunteering. It was a picture of how towns and places grow.
So, I just wanted to share this with you. Time moves so fast. It feels like a century since we lived there.
I really am sleepy.
Just got in from work and had lunch.
Now I need to run some errands…
but then a nap is in the plan. Definitely.
Grandson comes tonight! :-D
When rested, I want to read your thoughts, Pat.
Always so pithy. ♥
Funny how chilly a 60º day in mid July can feel, lol!
We may have had the same weather pattern here in GSO.
Yesterday was sunny, mostly clear and low 80's. Today has been gray, damp and chilly--again low 80's. Yesterday. I went out walking and doing errands--today too damp and cool-- uncomfortable for all aching body parts!
How is everyone today? Still a gray day here, but fine enough to wander down to the book store and see what
Is going on. They encourage just 'hanging out' if one-- or several--feel like it. Anyone here who is a fan of hobbits, rings and Tolkien? A number of new titles are out about the author and/or his world of hobbits, magical rings, journeys etc. Once hooked, that is it for life I am finding!
I had a big black Jeep Cherokee named Shadowfax--does that count?
Tanner's in a lot of pain. It's new, and no one seems to be able to get a handle on what is causing it. This is from his mom, and heartbreaking: it is just incredibly discouraging when your child hurts and no one can tell you why and no one can help him. at times it gets so bad he wishes I had let him die when I had the chance.
Prayers requested.
♡ T ♡ A ♡ N ♡ N ♡ E ♡ R ♡ ! ♡
{{{ {{ Prayers flying!!! }} }}}
Son and Grandson stayed overnight Saturday night and after a Sunday morning visit Bill and I drove to and from NH for a gathering of my cousins.
Very tired, but a good weekend. Grandson started off wondering who I am, and by the time they left he was giving me HUGE hugs and not letting go!! I could get used to that! :-)
Love to Tanner. I hope the cause of the new pain can soon be found.
Love and light to Tanner. so sorry, I have no words to express my sorrow at this news.
This is a pic of a young bear who lives up by Nancy's chicken house. He seems to have been hurt. Ma Nature's a tough lady. https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/q71/s720x720/10561541_678571745569630_5043596643595977782_n.jpg?oh=09d436dee3154bd431d44efbf8f3f3dc&oe=544C1F07&__gda__=1415141762_72d9d141f9dad269f30483ba9bbd1010
so sorry to hear about Tanner - love and light to him and the family. I wonder if they have tried hemp oil, it I is amazing what it can do for so many ills.
puddle someone should call fish and wildlife about that bear, an injured animal can be very dangerous for people, pets and other wildlife.
Jo, good idea, but that was more than a month ago, and she hasn't seen him since she hung bacon on the chickies electric fence two weeks ago. He's really just a cub (first year alone). Hope he's fine.
I've never seen a bear down here (except crossing the road sometimes), but Nancy really does live with them. A couple of years back she had a cub who loved to use her SUVs roof as a trampoline.
Poor guy, hope he's ok. looks like a bad slash, though.
I echo Jo's suggestion about contacting Fish & Wildlife…or any other Wildlife peeps in the area. If Nancy sights him again, they can come up and tranquilize him, check him over, stitch him up, and give him a powerful dose of antibiotic. My son has done that for lynx in Maine. There was one old Lynx that would come by every so often hoping to get trapped because the nice meat laced with tranquilizer was so yummy and getting your teeth cleaned and your ailments tended made such a nice spa! :-)
Quick hello,
It's been hot here. We've been busy. This year still doesn't feel like normal. After the Sept. floods, evacuation, return, restoration of the post office,and work on the roads, it feels like we're still slightly out of tune, off rhythm. If this is how it feels when the problems at least for us were minor, how must it be for people dealing with wildfires in Washington and Oregon, people being displaced in time of war?
Just a quick question: why would Nancy hang bacon on top of an electric fence? It would seem to attract every critter from crows, to rats, to bobcats, to bears? I'm puzzled.
Sorry to hear of Tanner's pain. I've thought of him ever since you mentioned it. I hope the cause and amelioration can be found. I've been reading Nexus, a yoga/New Age newspaper distributed free to libraries and other public places. This issue was on homeopathic healing, and an internationally known healer, John of God from Brazil was mentioned. Certainly healing has been a major effort in humanity.
Well, I hope your day is good.
About the bacon. . . . Bears are pretty insulated by fur, so I'm gathering the fence wasn't really keeping him away from scaring the chickies, even if he wasn't getting in (she has a chainlink). However, with the bacon, mouth or paws would be involved, and the shock of the fence would make it through.
Drop-in: seems to me more than counter intuitive to draw the animals with bacon. Bears don't like ammonia, and there are other things that might keep them away, but to draw them to electric wire??
It's a balance, definitely to live with wildlife and domestic livestock, and there must be some guidelines that would help.
Well, we're cleaning the camper. Huge turds, much too big for mice. I wonder.
How do we respond to this really horrible day?
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5596930
My answer is to never cast another vote for people who have a war mentality and for people who insist that Israel is "our special friend." Our tax dollars built their Iron Dome etc.
We also need to vet pols backgrounds. All children of addicts, unless treated, can't run. That would have removed, Bushie, Clinton and Obama. Hillary is the co-dependent, also needing help. JMO
I will vote for Greens, Indies...not Repugs or Dems, unless they are exceptional.
sea
The reason a parent's addiction is a factor in a child's development is because of *interaction* with the child. Obama's father was not a parent. He was a sperm donor.
I didn't know that Barb or BushDaddy were addicts. URL please.
The bear was *not* leaving despite all the actions being taken by a bear savvy lady. (She had one bear skinny up a 12 foot deck support up onto her deck, and grab the bird feeder outside her bedroom. That one was a grown up bear.)
She needed to convince him that scaring the chickens out of laying was a bad plan. Seems to have worked, lol!
I didn't know Obama's father was a sperm donor. lol Did that come out in his book? Link please. The Minority Report is a rightie rag trying to discredit Obama. So was Obama's mother artificially inseminated with his father's sperm instead of having sex? I'll bet the righties would love this to be true. Or maybe O's father just ran about impregnating women. That's another kind of sperm donor.
We do know that Barack's brother was into drugs and booze and now is sober and helping others.
Barack Obama Sr.
Barack Obama, Father
Feedback
Barack Obama, Sr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama,_Sr.
Wikipedia
They had two daughters and a son together, Barack Obama (Sr). After Akumu separated from her husband Hussein and left the family in 1945, the three children ...
Background checks include the person running as well.
Bushie, drugs and booze, Clinton, sex addiction, Obama, family addictions, Hillary...Co-dependent with addict. There are many forms of addiction. Power, money, anger, pride, even cigarettes help repress emotions.
Now gone to avoid the I/P hot topic. I bet that woman who spoke up for the Gazans on MSMBC lost her job!
sea
Family addictions? Really? From people who lived half a world away? His father left when he was two, which fits my definition of a sperm donor.
Hot still. I love this quote:
"If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."
Bernard Baruch
I don't know of anyone who hasn't been hurt, wounded, changed by living. I know that humans are prone to addictions, whether it's an ideology, a habit, a substance, how we interact in relationships, even our own expectations. It's hard to be a human, and I don't know of any easy way to become our best selves. In fact, some of the hardest things are the best teachers.
So, let's keep trying, keep discussing, keep reflecting. Things look awful right now, but there may even be a purpose in that.
Puddle, from my perspective, I'm uneasy with luring a bear to eat bacon and get shocked. I do know we have the same problems here: people are raising chickens, have bee hives, and compost. A bear finally got into our compost barrel this year, tore out the thick plastic barrel top.
Well, I don't have the answers. I'm glad we can discuss. Good night, time to watch Covert Affairs on TV
Genetics and environment both play a role in Addiction. You cannot become addicted solely by your genetics. I'm not sure if you can solely by environment.
http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/topics-in-brief/genetics-addiction
(Double post deleted.)
Thanks, Listener for the link. Not surprising that genes would play a part. I think "culture" does as well. I didn't start smoking until I was 20 and was facing a geology test I knew I would probably flunk. That Marlboro was a relief. 20 years later, I quit for good after Thanksgiving dinner, sleeping for 20 hours. Knowing what I know now, I'd never have started. Yet, if you were to offer me a cigarette, and if I took it, I'd probably smoke the rest of my life. Such are addictions.
However, to judge people on their families, on the difficulties they've overcome seems to me terribly unfair. We should celebrate people for their successes. I think Hillary Clinton's refusal to condemn Bill was heroic. She chose not to put the country into turmoil, and she forgave and supported Bill. That's a virtue, in my opinion.
A bear story: A few years ago, a bear broke into a chocolate shop one night in Estes Park. He (She?) did no damage to the store, but took away a lot of chocolate candy. That was a resourceful bear! But, living with wildlife is an ongoing complication since we have become so urban ourselves.
Well, more cleaning the camper, and maybe one of these days we'll go camping!
Thank you, Puddle Pat, and Listener .
I'm not sure when the Dems abandoned Israel, but when I grew up, politically Israel's support was *our* issue. Somewhere along the line, the Republicans took it up and we, for the most part, have given it up.
For me, personally, most of it come from a TV show I saw in my early teens. NBC or someone was doing a "white paper" kind of thing on the Palestinian refugee camps. The interviewer asked a Palestinian man *why* they were insisting on staying in the camps. Why didn't they accept offers of homes/jobs from some of the other Arab states who were offering? The answer sort of burned itself into my heart/soul/mind: he didn't want his children to grow up healthy and happy, he *wanted* them to grow up deprived and hungry and HATING JEWS.
Not much in my sixty years since is at odds with that man's desire/wish/hope/plan. I've seldom ever seen a Palestinian admit that they left Israel because their leaders *asked* them to leave so they'd have a clean battlefield to destroy all the Jews the UN had deposited on that bit of soil.
The intent of Israel now vis a vis Palestine is VERY different from what the German/Poles desired and accomplished in Warsaw.
Jo! I haven't forgotten that you were interested in my nutritionist's information. Here it is, below. :-)
Her name is Morella Devost. Check out her website for a gold mine of healthy info and tips, including recipes. Her seminars are offered ONLINE for minimal cost. $15! Once you have signed up for a seminar, you can join in on the live seminar and ask questions live and/or go to the link any time all week.
http://transformationone.com/
puddle, I responded to your thoughts on Israel-Palestine over at HEP, including the link to NPR's story in which the UN folks are saying they believe Israel targeted Palestinian children on a beach. They are saying this appears to be war crimes. Ya think?
Here's a link to Morella's calendar of online nutrition seminars:
http://transformationone.com/calendar/2014-07-05/
Golda Mier said once, to paraphrase, "When the Palastine people love their children more than they hate us, we will have peace."
Putting their munitions in schools, even if some are actually abandoned, makes it look like the Israelies are specifically targeting the children. Yes, they target homes of Hammas, but they call ahead to warn the families to get out.
Palastinians have vowed to kill every last Jew. Period.
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but facts are facts.
This whole thing is such a sad
OOPs, pushe the button too soon,
...state of affairs.
Much love and Many hugs to my favorite family!
sigh... pushed, not pushe
I give up, fingers are not working right and I gotta get to work.
Good Morning,
Hot and windy here, the grasses chest high, waving, and the bee balm everywhere.
About Israel and Palestine. I understand the emotion of hatred, but not the policy, not to live for revenge, not to oppress, not to murder, not to deceive and manipulate people. War, revenge, hatred has never brought peace. "When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?"
In France, now there's hatred being fomented against Jews by African-Middle Eastern Muslims. France has the largest groups of both Jews and Muslims. And to think that this is religion? What a species we are!
I don't know. I haven't the answer for hatred. We have an African-American President, in his person, someone who represents the American dream of peace, of White and Black as brothers and sisters, who grew up in a Midwestern, White culture, and Congress has never been more obstructionist and dysfunctional. The castigations, denigrations, accusations against this brilliant and principled President have never stopped.
"When will we ever learn?" And you can finish the chorus.
Have a good day today.
We need DEAN!!
Could we at least go back to "an eye for an eye?"
UN shelter in Gaza hit by Israel
http://m.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28468526
Where have all the flowers gone?
http://online.wsj.com/articles/thane-rosenbaum-civilian-casualties-in-gaza-1405970362
Puddle, unfortunately one is required to log in to read the article.
Heck! I got a free view. Maybe cause I tried it from google.
Try this
Tonight, a Luna moth on the french doors on the sun deck. Haven't had one for years and years--since Edwin was alive. Rare and beautiful.
Wonderful, Puddle!!
Is there anyone else here who is a fan of Hobbits?
I have read and re-read all of Tolkien's tales but now
the print seems to be getting smaller:) So, I had our
new book store order the audiobook for me. Love it.
T. wrote The Hobbit originally as bed time stories for
his children. The story and his use of language is a
delightful listening!
I loved the stories he wrote about Hobbits, the language is indeed very interesting!
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
LOL, exactly right puddle!
Love the quote,Puddle It is a Keeper! Thank you.
Good Morning,
A smile at the quote. Too True! I've read the Tolkien trilogy five times; we have the movies, which we've seen at least twice. We called our Nederland home, Lothlorien (because of the golden aspens), and here on Storm Mountain there is a hobbit house. It looks just like Bilbo's house in the movies. As we drive on Snowtop, we pass through Cedar Springs subdivision, and I think of Hobbitown with the flowers, the hills, the log homes.
I guess the mythology has been with me since I was 20 years old. I met David on Mackinac Island. My college roommate had recommended The Fellowship of the Ring. David was reading The Two Towers. So, yes, an iconic and powerful story that has stayed. I was also reading Ayn Rand, but as you point out, Puddle, it didn't hold up to reality very well.
Well, camper cleaned, two celebrations today on the mountain, so two pots of baked beans cooked.
Very discouraged about politics. As long as it's about money and influence, it feels inauthentic, artificial, on the wrong track.
Well, enjoy the weekend.
I forgot to add that we named most of our pets after the characters in the trilogy: Gollum, a Siamese cat; Gandalf, another cat; Strider, a black Manx cat; Pippin, a Pekingnese; Shadow, a mixed breed dog, and so it went.
Guess we're book mates on Tolkien, Shirlee.
Truly, except I had only one kitty and then cat and named her Caroline Elizabeth-- fit her regal personality perfectly!
I had not been aware of the impact Atlas Shrugged had
until a cousin I had always thought an interesting person
began to talk about "everyone taking care of themselves."
I was truly disturbed and shocked. My first thought--aren't you and your husband Democrats? I sure missed that one by a Michigan country mile!
kimmy's on facebook committing hari kari because she jumped the tracks in best kimmy fashion on an important test. Which put me in mind of a piece of my own history. . . .
When I graduated college in 1970, the economy was booming, and most of my friends went directly on to grad school. I dissolved my marriage instead. The next year, I'd had a bellyfull of private sector work and applied to grad school. But the economy was in trubble and they'd cut way back on funding for grad school, making admission way tougher. Time travel: as a young undergrad in my third year I was in the process of becoming Catholic out of a Mormon family. There was quite a bit of sturm and drang in my life at home, and I failed virtually every class that quarter. Took quite a hit on my GPA. . . . Later, they changed the rules, so if you retook a class you'd failed, you could erase the failing grade (I retook everything and got A's, but that didn't erase the fail on the GPA). Anyways, I got into grad school *provisionally* because I had a 3.4 instead of a 3.5 that year (the year before, 3.0 was the cutoff). Provisional status meant I had to keep a 3.5 for my first twelve hours (as opposed to a 3.0, required of non-provisional students).
My summer classes that year were "Bibliography & Methods" required of all, and taught by the most mediocre mind I was to encounter in grad school. I got a C for doing exactly what he asked (providing references for a paper he was writing for publication). The other was a seminar on Jane Austin, taught out of his area by a truly brilliant fella. Both of them told me they didn't think I had a mind that would fit in easily with what most professors were going to be expecting of me. The second guy gave me an A--not because he got a critical paper on Jane Austin, which somehow I couldn't do, but because he felt my writing was so brilliant be couldn't give it less that an A, even if that hadn't been what he was looking for.
I now had a 3.0 for my first six hours, and thusly required 4's for the next six. Very tempting to look for easy classes, eh? Except that the "easy" class was already my C, and my tough one was my A. So I went for the two toughest seminars I could find. Dr. Panichas's seminar on 20th Century literary critics had 12 people sign up. The second week, six had dropped it (rumor was they were terrified, lol!). I additionally lucked out that my critic was E. M. Forster, whom I adored. Dr Panichas wrote me a long critique on the paper which mostly pointed out I hadn't written a critical paper, rather, a "celebration" of Forster. And gave me an A, anyways.
I only got the one C in grad school; everything else was an A. I can look like I'm writing a critical paper; do the research, take the notes, provide the footnotes in acceptable form. I evidently cannot keep my own nose out of such an examination, lol!
Dr. Meyers of the Austin Seminar left me with a saying that has stood me in very good stead: There is nothing as nervous as mediocrity.
This is very interesting, Puddle. Thanks. Sorry about that "Bibliography and Methods" course-- it should have been
MUCH more! Is it too late to ask for your money back;)!
Happy Sunday all.
Good Morning,
Just came back for helping clean up from one of last night's parties. Great food, conversations, energy for getting together. Sockeye salmon and barbecued chicken, even some cocoanut shrimp. Second party was great also, a roasted pig and other dishes. Potlucks are the American Gourmet, I think.
Puddle, glad you had teachers that recognized your creativity. Creative people like to make their own ways, and when teachers recognize it and encourage it, that's what they should do.
It brought to mind as a freshman in college, I took a team taught Humanities/English course. I wrote a paper from the point of view of the blind story teller in Athens. My English prof, gave it a C, criticized it. My Humanities professor called it art and gave it an A+ and praised it.
I think in the olden days universities were much more rigid, much more lecture-recitation-do-it-my-way rigid. When I monitored courses as a visiting scholar and took courses in Library Science, I saw much more flexibility, creativity, and variety in methods.
Well, off for some rest.
Funny--when I was little, the thought of coloring outside the lines never occurred to me. By grad school, I could no longer discern *where* the lines were, lol!
Yes, Puddle. I'm hoping that Kimmys professor is a broad minded one. Kimmy says what's in her heart. I would love to get ahold of that test and her answers. I'm hoping that the comments help get her out of her hari kari mode. She is SO brilliant. And that husband of hers, too! Kids are right up there too. fantastic family.
At work so can't write much. Seems everyone has been busy with stuff. Typical summer, I guess. Catching up on what didn't get done in the winter because of the weather.
We're getting ready for our annual Summer Garden Party. Finally broke down and hired a truck to come and haul away 20 years of accumulated junk, old tires that were supposed to be growing potatoes except there wasn't enough sunlight where we had them, parts of canopies that collapsed under the weight of snow because someone didn't get them down after the summer, etc. Good feeling to have it all gone.
Now, just get the food all cooked and prepared to go into the freezer to be taken out in time and put into the warming trays. Lots of vegan stuff as we do have vegan friends.
Much love and many hugs to all.
Amazing, Barb--it seems you do this every summer.
Bless Your Heart is what The Texans wold say.
Sad news from my family this morning. Expected
great grand baby lived only an hour after birth.
She was due, but sometime yesterday less movement in the womb, emergency c-section. Her parents were able to hold her for an hour as her vital signs weakened.
Docs think a hemoglobin problem. Autopsy will be performed. This is the family in Kansas who had a mighty healthy little boy last summer. My son and his
wife are on their way down. The mother's parents have been there for the last week. A blow,a blow--
because I know what good parents my son and his wife have been and how much they were looking
for this little grandgirl to go with the grandboy.
I'm sorry, Shirlee. Thoughts and a prayer.
Thank you, Pat. I am still trying to get my head around this.
Shirlee, heartbreaking! HugZ!
{{{ ♡ Great Grand Girl! ♡ }}}
Shirlee, I send my love and join my bit of ache to your great ache. This grandmothering business has rough sledding sometimes. Holding you all in the Light! ♡
We were away in Maine the last few days, where our little family was celebrating our 40th Anniversary (which was a month ago today, but PhD*Son was on remote Coates Island at that point).
The party the kids threw for us (immediate family only, at our request) was very nicely thought out. The space was lovely, the food scrumptious, and all 14 of us were present! We got THE BEST PHOTO EVER of us all together…every person looks good in the photo, no eyes closed, and all but Grandson were truly smiling (and he was cute). Amazing!
Some were over-tired and one snapped at another, which was almost the undoing of the event. But cool heads prevailed in the end. Mah*Sweetie and I are effecting some just damage-control, and I am so pleased that it's working great. We feel rather mature. ;-)
Our daughter-in-law, who is an artist, made a black and white drawing of a family tree, complete with names on branches. She brought a red stamp pad and had everyone make a heart by their name, using their index finger's fingerprint. It looks amazing and will hang in our entryway!
As I mentioned, the photo came out great, and our daughter and one son conspired to have a copy made for us locally and had it all framed to give us before we left! Pretty sweet! Others gave gift certificate to eat out, cash to get a big frame to hang a collage of the day's photos later on. We also received a framed watercolour of two chairs at the beach titled "Just the two of us." Very sweet! Another brought us a stone egg made of the original birthstone of the month in which we were married. And ALL we had asked for was a photo of everyone together, and some strawberry shortcake. Another daughter-in-law made buttermilk shortcakes from scratch. :-)
The ride home was a bit eventful. We offered to take some stress off a son and daughter-in-law by bringing VT*Grand home with us for an overnight. Good thing, too. Her parents (driving two cars, due to schedules) got caught in bumper to bumper traffic on the interstate, where our daughter-in-law got a claustrophobic panic attack. It all worked out, but was easier to manage without a 6 year old in the car. Plus, we were a half hour behind Root*Center*Son when his car overheated. So we got to do a road rescue. All got home safely. Yayyyy!
Ten more years before the next event of this type. LOL!
I am so sorry Shirlee. sending love and light to you and all of the family, that is such a heartache.
listener that was quite an eventful weekend! glad that it all turned out okay, congratulations again!
So sorry to hear, Shirlee. Love and light your way to share with the parents.
Listener, another eventful day,eh?
I'm off to work, have to stop and have my protime tested and then stop at the kitty dr to drop of a specimen.
much love and many hugs to all.
Thank you all for your thoughts and love. It helps tremendously. This is a wonderful group.
Not only that, but a lot of Dems are eager to stab
Obama and Kerry in the back if Bibi winks at them. They did exactly that when Obama pushed for a settlement freeze.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/23207.html
And negotiations with the Palestinians:
http://m.washingtonpost.com/politics/democrats-join-republicans-in-questioning-obamas-policy-on-israel/2011/05/24/AFkEJpAH_story.html
We could smell the charge. I wondered: Did Hamas just fire a rocket? But it was the sound of an incoming round. We saw a small fisherman’s shack on the quay, churning with gray smoke.
Then we saw a gang of kids running from the shack, down the breakwater and onto the sand, hurtling toward al-Deira. A couple of waiters, the cook and a few journalists started waving at them. Run here! Then a second strike landed right behind them.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/07/16/dispatch-israeli-strike-kills-four-children-at-a-gaza-beach/
I'm not sure this sounds like anyone was "targeting" children.
Israel gave Gaza/Hamas a ceasefire over the weekend, which Hamas did not keep. Israel finally resumed.
I was in a demonstration in 1970. The experience (though not the truth) was that gunfire broke out, and we ran like hell. NO ONE STOPPED TO PHONE THE NEWSPAPERS. Who exactly tweets in the middle of an attack?
The UN just reported finding rockets at two of their schools. Who do you imagine put those rockets there?
Thank You, Puddle for tracking down the accuracy of the previous posts.
I feel like I'm a ping pong ball these days when reading the news and the subsequent points and counterpoints. Meanwhile, innocent people are dying. I find myself wishing that the people in power would get their sh!t together. Then I remember that we, the people, have the power. But can that also be said of the Palestinian people?
25 July 2014
from The Nation:
Five Israeli Talking Points on Gaza — Debunked
http://www.thenation.com/article/180783/five-israeli-talking-points-gaza-debunked#
The whole world needs to figure out how to give up automatic weapons and missiles and war. What causes people to be really cruel, determined to be in power over others? What can be done when those people have power and weapons? We need the best minds to come together. We need the best hearts to be a strength for good.
War never solves anything. At best it delays the problem for awhile. Only to the extent that people are able to rise up and not be intimidated by cruel people, will lasting peace be possible.
How can we help them have the courage?
"The UN just reported finding rockets at two of their schools. Who do you imagine put those rockets there?"
According to the article I posted, the UN says that the two schools that had missiles were empty schools. Any word on that from another independent source?
And do you know what? If Hamas is hiding missiles in schools and hospitals, that is NOT a reason to bomb the schools and hospitals where innocent people may be!!! Hit the rocket launchers, not the missiles! DUH!!!
Sorry for the confusion:
The article I posted, which was written on July 25th, mentions that the UN schools where missiles were hidden were empty.
I hadn't yet read that there was another attack on a school today! The school was targeted because it might have missiles? So it's Hamas' fault that the people died and not Israel's? Seriously? I think there's plenty of fault to go around.
FREE THE PEOPLE!!
Yet another voice:
http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/who-is-the-real-enemy-2/
Ping! Pong!
What is underneath all the rhetoric?
What would cause the hatred and fighting to cease?
Just off the top of my head: The Palestinian people currently have two groups who wish to lead them--Hamas and Fatah. After elections a few years ago, Fatah won. On the West Bank, Fatah is leading, and Palestinians are relatively safe. In Gaza, after Fatah won the elections, Hamas murdered and expelled Fatah. After the last Israeli incursion into Gaza, a few years ago, Hamas was going around killing and kneecapping Gazans it claimed were cooperating/supporting Fatah.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0897333594/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=33568956927&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3437506478416059466&hvpone=15.26&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3i39cvc3i4_e
This book was gifted to me by the same woman who gave me The Hobbit and The Ring.
change of subject. I just saw the eye doc. I have 3 cataracts in one eye, growing fast, should be taken care of. trouble is that surgery will most likely make my corneal dystrophy worse and require a corneal transplant. I am most certainly going to need both so he scheduled me for 3 months and we'll see how things look then - unless things get much worse before then. sigh.
back to the conversation, I don't think Bibi and the Zionists nor Hamas have any moral authority whatsoever. they're wrong, they are hateful and truth be known they don't give a crap about the people that they are 'leading', not one bit. I'm glad to hear Obama speaking out against Bibi's actions for a change. it's all just so wrong.
Ah, Jo!! Enough rain, already!! Love, light, prayers.
thanks puddle. my body is giving me a pretty hard time right now.
Ah, Jo--eye sight is so precious.. Best, best wishes for you.
Our little, lost baby was baptized during the hour or so
she had. So, the funeral will be Friday. In the parent's
church. I am glad this can be done while both sets of
Michigan grandparents are still in Kansas. I did not realize until today that it can take months for autopsy
reports to be completed. Partially due to funding cutbacks
in state medical examiner's offices around the country
due to Repub. budget cutting.
Oops, sorry for double post.
Shirlee, double posts are no problem, lol! If you just leave them, I delete one of them, usually within an hour or so, and no sign.
"No longer will older Americans be denied the healing miracle of modern medicine. No longer will illness crush and destroy the savings that they have so carefully put away over a lifetime so that they might enjoy dignity in their later years. No longer will young families see their own incomes, and their own hopes, eaten away simply because they are carrying out their deep moral obligations to their parents, and to their uncles, and their aunts.”
- President Johnson, signing Medicare into law, 49 years ago today
{{{ {{ ♥ Shirlee ♥ }} }}}
It is good that there can be a funeral, a way to mark the reality that this child lived and moved and had her being. In her brief hour she has changed the family forever, deepened the love and grew the hearts that were open to her.
A dear friend of mine was pregnant when I was, only her baby died in the womb at 5 months gestation. She had been planning a home birth, so, with her doctor's blessing, she waited for her body to birth the child on its own, which happened at the 6 month mark. I tell you that to tell you this: She kept a baby journal from that time onward, for about a year. It helped her so much as she reached the due date, recording not only the struggles she experienced but the little positive things that had changed in her outlook, because of the baby's presence in her life, however fleeting. I was given the privilege of reading the journal, and remember especially where she realised that the baby was teaching her so much about life and what matters. *IF* you think something like that could help your loved ones, you might give them a nice blank journal. Just one idear.
Good Morning,
Rain all day yesterday. Today, clear mostly.
Jo, thoughts your way about cataracts. The technology for surgery on eyes is superb. I hope all works well for you.
Shirlee, yes, it must be a shock, a deep grief, and whatever comfort there is, I hope they can find it. My aunt lost a child to spina bifeda and said that it's a hole in your heart that is there forever.
About the Middle East, as David said, quoting Shakespeare, "A pox on both your houses." As is usual, it's the common, ordinary people who suffer the most. It seems to me Israel had a choice when the three teenagers were murdered: to handle it like an incident or go to war. They chose war as did Hamas. Just what is gained from war?
Rachel Maddow devoted her hour on Tuesday to what the Republicans have done to the Obama campaign for president and his presidency. I had forgotten that only 39% of whites voted for Obama. That explains the racism that has been unrelenting.
What to do? It's as if we were still primitives in our clans, hating, fearing, and using whatever methods we have to destroy the enemy. What to do?!
But, today is another day. Hopefully, the House vote to sue him will backfire. Where is the country I knew in the 60s and 70s with hope, a sense of adventure, a spirit that said we can make things better, can have a just society?
Another day. Hope yours is good.
Ah, such intelligent conversations. Thank you ladies. I've been super busy getting ready for our party and taking time out for political things.
Took the voters guides around to my people. the walking list they gave me only covered about 1/4 of the homes I normally visit, so I grabbed a bunch of extras and did my own list. People appreciate getting the guide that is put out by the 46th LD Dems. it highlights the candidates and other things that the district voted on to endorse. Endorsement meetings are fun. We make the candidates bring a dessert and we sell dessert for all you can eat for $5 including coffee or other beverage.
I do know how to make money for this district.
Much love and light to all. Boss is here, so have to go.
why do you come and post here Judy? don't you have any friends? have you worn out your welcome with everyone else as you have with us here? you have never joined this conversation for anything but complaints about Obama. go away, you aren't welcome here. even when I agree with you I am disgusted that you aren't a friend here, just an agitator.
go away.
Jo, check your gmail addy. xox
Same things went through my mind, Jo, lol!
Been cold here this past week--scary more than comforting.
"I don't think Bibi and the Zionists nor Hamas have any moral authority whatsoever. they're wrong, they are hateful and truth be known they don't give a crap about the people that they are 'leading', not one bit. I'm glad to hear Obama speaking out against Bibi's actions for a change. it's all just so wrong."
Well said, Jo.
All day I have been thinking:
The end does not justify the means.
Jo, until just now I missed your post about cataracts. I'm so sorry there's yet another struggle for you. What is it like when cataracts grow? Is it clouded vision? Or? I ask because I have them too, and need to know how to tell when they'e getting to the point of needing to be taken care of. I'm thinking of you!! XOXOXXX
thank you puddle - trying! ;-)
listener I wasn't aware that I had cataracts at all. with the corneal dystrophy my vision is very cloudy when I first wake up - the problem is that my corneas 'hold' moisture that is usually regulated and doesn't build up. in the morning it is worse because my eyes have been closed for so long and evaporation hasn't been happening. as it has gotten worse I have times off and on throughout the day that my vision gets cloudy and there is nothing that I can do about it, some people have relief by using a blow dryer and waving it back and forth in front of their eyes to 'pull' the moisture out - for some reason all this does is make my eyes hurt. it appears that my cataracts are very fast growing so we are going to check them in 3 months. in order to have the surgery I need to get my A1C blood sugar lower, so that will be part of the decision re: surgery. the good thing is that I really like this new doctor, he is at FAHC and would do both surgeries, cataract and corneal transplant. I checked into him last night and he has a 5 star rating with a lot of people who have responded positively about him and he has had wonderful results. I have known for a long time that the condition could lead to blindness - my Mom had it, it is hereditary, but hers wasn't as bad as mine and she died at 86 with pretty good eyesight so I have just been hoping that I wouldn't go blind. if my eyesight starts to get really bad my only option would be transplants - well I am much closer to that and now that I have this doc I have a confidence that I didn't have with the old doc so I am feeling much better about it overall.
Jews and Arabs who refuse to be enemies:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28439551
That is really good news, Jo! Thanks for explaining it. It makes me feel better knowing that you have a competent surgeon to trust…! Keep me posted.
I meant to ask what you thought of the sugar free fudgsicles. I'll bet the Grands liked the ice cream, too. ;-)
I love the fudgsicles! they are as good as the old fashioned ones that I loved so much!
Jo thought a candle page for the great grand would be a lovely idear:
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=ggran
She's having some trubble getting on the blog and sends her love.
Thank you, Puddle and Jo. Love to you all.
I lit a candle.
Warm day here today. We're having our house restained and the trim painted. We're calling this year, the Fix It Year.
Glad you are here.
Thank you for thinking of the candle page. ♡
So glad to hear you like the fudgsicles, Jo! :-)
I'm sad that the truce between Hamas and Israel only lasted 4 hours. I'm sad that two Israeli soldiers were killed and another kidnapped when the Israelis tried to destroy a tunnel. I'm sad that the Israelis were trying to destroy a tunnel during the truce. I'm sad that Hamas built tunnels. I'm sad that Israel has blockaded Gaza. I'm sad that Hamas has launched rockets. I'm sad that innocent people are caught between warring groups. I'm sad that people seem bent on destroying people who are different than they are. And all over a really small and crappy stretch of land.
The air quality is very poor tonight. We can smell the smoke from the wildfires as though someone in our neighbourhood had a bonfire going. Our throats and eyes hurt. I never imagined I'd be considering buying my first ever air conditioner because of smoke.
Lake Champlain at 3pm on a beautifully sunny day…
http://hazecam.net/archive.aspx?site=burlington&h=15
Drat. After midnight the photo reset. I should have saved a copy of it. But don't worry. There is likely to be another tomorrow. Heh.
'Ceasefire now'
Writing in the Guardian, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg stated: "It is difficult to deny that Israel's military action appears disproportionate and, combined with the Gaza blockade, is resulting in the collective suffering of the Palestinian people."
He also criticised Hamas, saying it used its tunnels to "terrorise Israeli civilians".
Mr Clegg said even if Israel defeated Hamas, a "similar movement will undoubtedly emerge from the destitution and despair" of Gaza, so people on both sides must "find the courage" to call for an end to military action.
"Modern history teaches that you can't shoot, occupy or besiege your way to lasting security," he added.
"Peace only ever flows from sustained and stubborn engagement."
Labour MP Richard Burden, chairman of the Britain-Palestine all-party parliamentary group, said there must be a renewed drive for peace.
"That means a ceasefire now, and tackling the blockade - which is one of the root causes of the escalation in conflict we have seen over the past weeks," he said.
More: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-28602017
Jews were taken off their land and dispersed across the ancient world. They submitted to nearly two thousand years of being target practice for Christians. Not allowed to own or farm land. Forced to live in cities. When they accumulated capital because they became merchants, and financed various Christian monarchs, the solution was to kill them rather than pay them back. Whenever any scapegoat was needed for any reason, Jews were called up, and villages, communities slaughtered. After two millennia, and after the worst genocide attempt in history they were offered a way out. A people who had been denied the right to own land took the offer.
The blockade in NOT total. It filters out what may be made into weapons for use by a people who clearly mean to use those weapons to kill them. In the interim, every attempt to help the Gazans -- greenhouses, water, electricity -- has been spurned, destroyed or ignored by the Gazans.
Half of the Palestinians are living in peace with Israel. Why is that?
Do I think Israel should sit still and agree to be target practice for yet another group intent on killing them? I'm sorry, I do not.
Good Morning,
Sunny day today. A tragedy, a dilemma, a history, human aggression, I don't think any of us can disagree about the horrors of the Holocaust. I read a book this year, can't remember the title, that documented how we were complicit in the discrimination against Jews as our anti-Semitic diplomats dealt with Nazi Germany.
In many ways, the institution of slavery, Jim Crow, the aggression and killing of Blacks haunts us today as well.
What can we do as ordinary citizens, feeling compassion, distress, sorrow for violence, fear, and hatred? Perhaps, whatever acts and thoughts of kindness and generosity we can make will contribute in some way to peace, to reconciliation. I don't know of any other way.
A week ago, I drove to Nederland, about an hour and a half drive, listening to Pete Seeger's folksongs. It felt wonderful, hopeful, communal. So many repetitions made it easy to sing along, and he advocated for prisoners, civil rights, the environment, and the down and out, despite the House Un-American Activities Committee censuring him.
Maybe it's person by person, like the honey bee pollinating flower by flower. I'm beginning to think that the most hostile, the angriest people, the most violent are the most wounded, the most hurt. How to heal? If we can find the ways, maybe humanity won't destroy itself and the planet.
So we discuss, make suggestions, reveal feelings, and try.
I hope today is good.
I think you have it, Pat. With that let me tell you all how proud I am of my son. Understanding the need for a small relief from grieving and while his family is still together in Kansas he decided to take them to the rodeo. Funnel cakes and all. Today, they are off to a cattle drive. I am happy he is helping them have some good memories and helping his son and wife have a bit of respite. Grieving will go on for all forever.
Adding to your beneficent note, Shirlee, this from our mountain network along the Big Thompson River where so many homes were destroyed in the Sept. floods.
This makes me smile as I picture it.
"Coming home this evening just about 1 mile west on 34 towards Estes Park I spotted a bear. At the Roughenit Wright cabins – the small brown ones that the bottom fell out and the washer and dryer are still hanging on the wall – there were lots of cars pulled over and sitting on the roof was a bear.
He was looking around like “Now how do I get down”. The ranger was there so I’m sure he will be taken care of.
Love living in the mountains.
You are where you belong Pat, I can tell from the love I hear in your tales of life in the mountains.
Shirlee I am not sure if you have ever seen a candle page. puddle created this one so that we can say prayers and share our thoughts of love for you as you and your family grieve.
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=ggran
Oh my, yes I have seen candle pages and remember a
Mention of a new one. Did not realize it was for my
family. Thank You all --
Hi Jo,
Yes, I love the mountains, but the whole earth is beautiful. How fortunate we are to be where we find beauty, peace, friendship, and home.
Here's the book I read on the Anti-Semitism of the diplomats.
Thank you, Google.
In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson
Well, I am not a computer whiz, got the general site, made a couple corrections suggested by the site. Not sure if this can be made a live link--if not will get Brenda to help when she comes by tomorrow. Thank you all for your love and thoughts which I know are always there :)
So we discuss, make suggestions, reveal feelings, and try.
Well said, Pat. Yes, we can each only do our small part. But each small part matters. As Madeleine L'Engle reminded us, when we stomp our foot the vibrations go out into the Universe.
When I was a chaplain intern at the medical center, I was called to the E.R. one day, as a baby was brought in not breathing. The baby died. The mother worked at the medical center and had just gone back to work the week before. I was with the mother when she was told, and present when the father arrived to the terrible news. I baptised their baby. Then I kept in touch with the young couple for five years. Little Lindsey was their firstborn, and the most perfectly beautiful china-doll infant I have ever seen. Over those next five years they had another child, a son. He was robust and a SIDS death was not repeated. This young couple, so far from closest family members, did something so wonderful. Each year, on the anniversary of Lindsey's death (her "feast day"), they took the day off and did something with and for children, to help children in need, or bring all their nieces and nephews together…that sort of thing. They decided to honor and celebrate the bit of joy she was in their life, rather than allowing the sorrow to have the upper hand. They kept her birthday as a private holiday, but her death day they gave to others. I remain incredibly impressed by that. Such wisdom! Remembering her death would be so much harder on them than remembering her birth. How wise they were to allow others to share that day with them.
Two more little things to mention about the loss of little ones.
It really helps to massage a grieving mother's shoulders. A midwife might say, it helps to keep her present on this Earth, when her spirit might want to fly away with her baby's.
The most compassionate thing was said to my dearest friend after she miscarried her baby. Her pastor took her hand and said, "I'm glad we still have you."
That last is so incredibly wise, because a mother, at that loss, feels such a deep sense of failure, disappointment in her body, and lack of motivation to move forward.
My prayers are with the baby's mother especially.
Love to all. ♡
Bright new shiny thread!!
Post a Comment