I survived the first day of the Library open with the new software! :-D
Having been closed the last three days, we got about three days' worth of patrons and books today! Y.I.K.E.S.!! Trial by fire for our Go Live! without benefit of Dress Rehearsal! WILD!! It was so intense that whenever we had to pause to do something normal (like make a phone call) it felt strange! Ha! It was like working in an alternate universe!
But we did it! :-D We all ended the day standing! wOOt!
glad it wasn't too bad for the team listener. it's often the 'not knowing', the fear that we won't handle it well that is much worse than the actual outcome. may the hew system work well.
Barb, it looks like the captcha thang (I saw it too) was a google glitch. I was also signed out. And couldn't get the sign in page to come up. Finally, rebooted due to other problems I was having, and we seem to be back to normal.
AND I'LL BE VERY GLAD WHEN THIS MERCURY RETROGRADE IS OVER (ON THE 25TH)!!!!
I have a friend who drove a big rig in Toronto and environs. Periodically, I'd get an email inquiring if it was Mercury Retrograde, because, in his view, that was the *only* time he'd see these particular kinds of driver krezziness. He was always right, and early.
Lovely coolish day here in GSO. Saw my very favorite dentist of that small practice. Still have all my choppers but dealing with a dry mouth problem for years--he had some other suggestions and need to have three small cavities along the gum line repaired. December.
This fall has been extraordinary. The days in the 70s and even the 80s. When in my lifetime has October had such mild and warm weather?! The colors of the leaves, shrubs, and grasses more intense than I've ever seen before.
Great Listener, that your changeover to digital went so well. And yes, I've experienced that kind of tension, and what a relief and sense of satisfaction when all goes well.
Well, we mailed out our ballots today. I'm praying that we keep our Governor and Senator. The Republicans are simply nuts, and until they regain some sanity, the republic is not safe in their tenure.
Shirlee, good for you getting your choppers tended to! My parents got dentures in their 20's, which made me really take good care of my teeth. All good.
Would you mind sharing what your dentist recommends for dry mouth?
There is one thing the new software does not do that the old software did well. The old software retained the names of the last two people who checked out an item. The new software only shows the most recent person, and ONLY until you close the check-in screen..! So if, like yesterday, you go to shelve a book and discover by its spine label that it's supposed to have a cassette and zippered pouch as well, you cannot discover who must still have the cassette and pouch at home. Therefore you cannot call them and ask them to hunt for it, nor can you charge them for it if they never find and return it.
But I may have thought up a work-around, which I will test-drive tomorrow. I plan to open TWO tabs and use the first one ONLY for check-ins. As long as I don't close that tab, I'll have the list of all the items I checked in that day, with the name of who brought each back. That means I'll have at least until the end of my shift to discover a mistake that could still be rectified.
This is what we'll need to do until the software folks create an upgrade with the feature we need. Other users have asked for it already.
Cool pretty day, holding in its arms the promise of winter.
Nancy made a mercy run today on her way to/from her flu shot--dropped off some Imodium and Vaseline; picked up in town some PeptoBismol. That's the last 48 hours of my life; hope it's not the next.
Today was my second day with the new software. i like the look of the layout much better than our old system. But there are some hefty down-sides to integrate. For example, as I think I mentioned, we can no longer see WHO brought any particular book or item back. Once it's checked in and the screen is closed we no longer have the ability to call that person and let them know they left one of the CDs in their player, or that we noticed water damage and a book needs to be paid for, etc.. We HAVE TO notice any problems before we close the screen. With our old system we could see the last two patrons' names.
Also, the new system only allows a few people to have access to the cataloguing. I have never catalogued books, but part of that function is to create spine labels or change the designation from Juvenile to Young Adult, or to add new magazines, all of which I did do. Now only the director and head clerk may do those tasks. I'm okay with that, though it feels a little like a demotion. Ha!
What I feel less pleased about is that the way the software is touted is that all the people using it are invited to blog their concerns, questions and tips. On Monday a librarian from another VT library came to be with us as we began to use the software. She wanted a photo of our mascot pig (not a live pig, she's fiberglass), and I was asked to do the deed with my iPhone. So I did. She then emailed me a thank you and reiterated that we are all invited to contact her with any questions as they arise. So I asked her if there is a work-around to the "can't see the previous patron" conundrum and she assured me there isn't, that no one likes that issue, and that it is supposed to be fixed in a future upgrade. She then asked how our workshop for patrons turned out. So I told her and thanked her for helping us feel supported. It was a nice exchange.
Well today the head clerk told me that she asked the same question of this woman and the woman told her she had already told that to me. I was informed that all questions must go through the director and head clerk. Egads. How silly. It's fine with me, as they have so much responsibility. But it does make it less friendly.
Well, I need to close and dive for my pillow! Grandson and his parents are here overnight, so we'll be having an early morning. In the afternoon, Mommy and I are taking Grandson to the Echo Center so he can run and run and see fish and dinosaurs and run and run on what promises to be a chilly, rainy day. They are up here for a wedding on Saturday.
I was dismayed to hear of the "control" in the library situation, but how real that is. We humans are control freaks, I think, and some more than others. But, we go on, do the best we can with it.
I think I misunderstood, Listener, that your situation was an upgrade to computer software instead of an introduction to a new system that hadn't been there before. I smile, though, at your humor, dressing up and braids, a good way to lighten a situation, and I'm sure the people loved it.
Hope you are feeling better today, Puddle. Keep us informed.
Again, supposed to be a warm sunny day here. Our letter was published in the Reporter-Herald yesterday. Also, Michelle Obama was here campaigning for our senator and governor.
Shirlee, try refreshing by hitting control and f5 at the same time: it forces the browser to try a new reload instead of using the saved copy.
Feeling much better. Not out of the woods yet, but seeing daylight between the tree trunks! Been so long (ten, twenty years) since I had the trots, it took me a while to figure out what to do about it. Kinda reminds me of my 30s when I switched from headaches as a stress symptom to tummy aches. I *knew* how to deal with headaches--hadn't a klew as to what to do about an upset stomach!
"Also, the new system only allows a few people to have access to the cataloguing. I have never catalogued books, but part of that function is to create spine labels or change the designation from Juvenile to Young Adult, or to add new magazines, all of which I did do. Now only the director and head clerk may do those tasks. I'm okay with that, though it feels a little like a demotion. Ha! "
Well, today I have realised I am NOT okay with it. Nearly everything I do will now be things I cannot complete. Since the feeling of a job week done comes from seeing the work completed, my job satisfaction is going to suffer. I am the only person who repairs books and I can't even finish that job myself anymore.
I had expected every thing to be done a different way, but no one had explained that there would be a number of key things I would no longer be allowed to do. If I can't even renew book for a good number of patrons, then why am I even there?
I'm afraid I had something of a meltdown about it tonight. I can't really bring my concerns to the director yet, as she has been putting in long days all week, while fighting migraines, then learned that the new shelving wasn't shipped on time. So now we have to wait for January for that, since that's the next time we have a week free, with no already-scheduled programs in it.
Do folks here have any suggestions about how to deal with intense frustration for the short term? I know getting good rest and taking walks and so on. But how to deal with it in the moment? I want to scream and throw things and it's such a PITA to have to be an adult instead!
my suggestion is to let it go for a week or so, very nicely letting them know when they need to complete something that you should be able to do. I'm betting that they will tire of having to finish a lot of these jobs for you and will give you access to that level fairly soon. this has happened to me and to others who I have worked with and it 'almost' never fails - when it is discussed prior to going live it seems like a necessity to keep the number of people with higher access to a minimum, then reality strikes and they find that they are stuck doing a number of things that they really don't want to do!
Aw, Jo, I could never ever beat up a teddy bear!! I never had one as a child, so I only have dear Spencer and he has been with us through thick and thin. He has even been to the hospital when a Son was in a car accident and when a Grand was in hospital for respiratory issues.
The sticking point here is that it wasn't the director and head clerk who made the call on who gets access and who doesn't. It is a requirement of the group of libraries who are offering this software. So it may well be that we are stuck with it.
I would be able to let it go for a week if I weren't working. But how to let it go when I have to work there tomorrow 10am to 2pm as well as Tues and Thurs and next Saturday, etc.? That kind of keeps it in my face, and there may yet be other issues I haven't tripped across yet.
I wrote a letter about all of this to the Director tonight, but haven't sent it. I don't know what she can do about it. But it's sure difficult that we weren't prepared for this.
Pretend you are in a different country and it's a brand new culture. Try not to be frustrated or show impatience; in short, just do what you can to the best of your abilities. I think Jo's advice is good in the sense that let them feel the frustration, and then maybe they can effect changes for a more realistic and individually responsible system.
There's a relief in being in a strange culture because you get to be an observer as well as a participant.
You have our sympathies, Listener. I'm sure it's difficult, but you are so capable and compassionate, you can do it.
Thanks, Pat and Jo, for your caring and kind words. I don't think I'm feeling impatient, but my frustration level is through the roof!
I went into this expecting everything to be different, and different is not a problem. But not being able to function is like trying to serve patrons in a straight jacket with tape over my mouth. I came to this with a sense of humor and ended up crying.
I imagine everyone in the group has had a meltdown at one time or another this week. The pressure on the director must be horrible.
It's hitting me hard tonight because I have to go back into the fray tomorrow. Now *I* need some comic relief. Heh.
Thanks for your compassionate words. I cried with relief when I read them. My usually sweet husband is on overload from it all, and I am feeling very pent up.
Sleep, good food, prayer, and good friends. I need to try to stay in present tense. Thanks.
• North Carolina: In-person early voting started Thursday in North Carolina, and 118,000 voters took advantage on the first day. Fifty-one percent of them were registered Democrats, while 29 percent of them were registered Republicans. While Democrats have long enjoyed an edge in North Carolina's in-person early voting, their advantage this year is substantially greater than it was four years ago.
Unfortunately it is hard to compare these numbers to past cycles because state Republicans cut the early voting period by half, making it hard to compare these numbers to what they were at equivalent points of 2010 or 2012. But Democrats should also be satisfied that it took four days for as many North Carolinians to vote during the last midterms. Kay Hagan needs a strong turnout operation to win re-election, and this first wave of statistics suggests Democrats are getting their voters to the polls. Can they keep up this pace? We'll find out soon enough.
Listener--please don't let the dingbat details of library work or personalities frustrate you too much--can drive your Blood pressure up. ACT mouth rinse and lozenges are what my dentist suggested. Working well. Love to all.
Shirlee, glad something's working!! Good on yer dentist!
The little emoticon was a gift for listener, who is our keeper of such nowdays--I couldn't figure out how to do it again, so I just copied it, and that worked fine.
Well, I have a story about work today, and the first thing to tell you is that it ends well.
I got up early so I could mail a package before work. However, just as I was leaving, I discovered my change purse was missing. Mind you, it was made as a change purse, but holds my driver's license, credit card, medical insurance card and check cashing cards, plus it happened to have in it something I never gave: cash... about $100 of cash. So, I hunted for it instead of going to the PO, then had to leave for work without it. Argh! I called the supermarket where I used it last, but they had not seen it. I recalled putting it into my reusable bag, so told myself it must still be in that bag and went to work.
On Saturdays I work with a nice woman who is an old family friend. So I was surprised that she wasn't there, and there was a strange car in the parking lot. It turns out she needed to attend a funeral. So, I got to work with the Head Clerk. So far, not a good day, eh?
It got better.
Shortly after I got home, I found the change purse on the seat of the chair on the far side if the dining table, where it just have fallen while unloading groceries. =Whew!=
On Friday, the head clerk was supposed to attend a Cataloguer's meeting 2.5 hours away. But about an hour from here, driving 70mph on the interstate, a large turkey flew up and into her windshield! It cracked the entire windshield, dented the roof, and sprayed her with glass! Fortunately, she wasn't injured and was able to limp the car a mile to an actual rest stop (Jo, it was at Randolph.) [We sometimes have 70 miles between rest stops.] it was while she was sitting at the rest stop, covered in glass, that our coworker called to ask her to work today. She also called her insurance company, of course, then called the Cataloguers' meeting to explain her absence. While she waited for the tow truck, the other cataloguers answered her most important questions. Guess what! Some of the libraries in our consortium have opted to allow all staff to have access to cataloging! And! As predicted by Jo, the Head Clerk has become a fan of that...! Now to see if the Director is amenable. But that would solve ALL my concerns with the new software!! Hope is alive!
And in the You Learn Something New Every Day department, I learned today that in Vermont the Internet infrastructure had to be put in place using horse drawn wagons! We love how that creative mixing of old and new just makes sense here.
Had an interesting set of dreams last night: was substituting the cast from one series into another series. e.g.--the cast from Downton Abbey into The Waltons. Sopranos --> West Wing. . . .
Yay listener! so glad that you found the purse and that you got to bond a bit with the Head Clerk - I hope they allow access for you and solve all of your problems. I'm guessing that they will and I will also say that I bet you will be the one that they come to when they have questions about the new software! just a thought. I'm also so glad that she wasn't injured, that must have been quite an impact.
puddle your dreams must have been fantastic, I'm having fun just imagining what that jumble might look like! ;-)
listener, looks like it's turning out well for you. Glad about the coin purse. Sorry for your lead clerk's accident, but she's very lucky--that kind of accident kills peeps around here all the time. Did they let her keep the turkey?
btw, I've been getting msgs to backup my hard drive, that there might be a problem with it. I've done a backup to an external device, just wanted to let you know that if I disappear it's 'puter trubbles!
Wonder if it didn't start when I was thinking last night about two real cross-overs from The Sopranos to The West Wing. Jerry Adler (whom I love) played Hesh, a loan shark on The Sopranos, and Toby Ziegler's father, Julie, on The West Wing. Tony's sister's finance and creep ended up as Toby's rabbi. . . .
Thanks for the sweet messages. I am so glad I could bring you good news. As I drove home from work I though, "Wow, those BFAers really know how to use the prayers and vibes! ♥
puddle…what a hoot! Any chance it's an indication you're gulping the TV shows a little too quickly? Gotta gIve your brain more time to take it all in…? LOL!
Forums on my old dating site: 37 year old woman complains she only gets hit on by married guy. Three pages later, genius (me) comes up with solution and goes googling. . . .
listener, she sez she's a "good Catholic girl" and that's how they're supposed to behave towards men. . . . She just wants the married ones to stay away from her, on their own.
Looks like alls well that ends well! Glad for purse found, glad for Head lady being ok, and glad for computer troubles seeming to come to an end.
Puddle, what a lively mind!
I've been going to a local FB site called "Buy Nothing Northeast" that's set up for local northeastern Seattle folk to get rid of stuff. I love it. I put up a few thing that I've been hanging on to for far too long and had wonderful responses. So nice to know our stuff is going to "neighbors". Getting rid of a lot of our chicken/rooster collection that folks gave us over the year as we are slowly downsizing. We'll keep those that we have an emotional attachment to, the rest are GONE! and it's amazing how many chicken/rooster lovers there are out there.
Ah, Barb--Nancy and I were talking about how friends help by adding to one's collections (of things one no longer collects. . . .). I've downsized my giraffe collection several different times, and it's currently just stowed, except for the biggest of all which sits on my stair landing, lol! I also no longer collect hands or boxes.
I'm waiting till my youngest sister turns sixty, and then I'm inundating her with owls.
I'm delighted, Listener, that things are working out, though I was sure they would.
Yes, stuff. Hi Barb. We have FreeNet here in Fort Collins, and everyday, people ask for things they need and offer things they don't need on email. It's terrific. But, I also love Good Will and community thrift shops. It's recycling, it employs people, and it makes things affordable, not to mention a great variety.
Another beautiful day here. We're listening to Living On Earth on NPR right now. Tomorrow snow predicted.
hi all! I'm here but have been busy. the computer is still giving me the message that a hard drive crash is imminent but so far so good!
my furnace stopped working last week so it has been a few very cold damp days - Jasper and I have been sleeping with heating pads, LOL! my son checked it out yesterday and brought a new igniter over today and installed it so we are warm once again. so glad that it happened now and not when it was much colder. the furnace was here when I bought this house so not sure how old it is, but Derek says that the average life expectancy is 15 years and I've been here 16! he says everything else looks good so hopefully it will get me through a few more winters.
I saw my eye doc a couple of weeks ago - did I mention that? he says that the cataracts are growing much faster than he usually sees so he has scheduled first surgery for Nov 24 and next on Dec 15. he thinks my glucose levels are low enough now but I will still need a pre-op exam with A1C, ekg, etc. he decided to do just the cataracts for now, if it worsens my corneal dystrophy we'll do the transplants a bit later.
Shirlee it occurs to me that since you aren't on facebook you've never 'met' my family - these are my 5 grandchildren from earlier this year. the girls are sisters and live about 25 miles away and the boys are brothers and live just around the corner from me.
Jo, don't know if you'll be IN the hospital any length of time, but read a great article about protecting yourself while in hospitals against hospital policy on feeding/medicating diabetics. Gist of which was to have a treatment plan/diet from your own doc registered at the hospital *before* known admissions, and to carry same with you in case of accidents/emergencies.
thank you puddle, that is a wonderful idea! my past and current docs are both in the network of our teaching hospital so all of my records are updated in real time, they will see the latest info from my reg doc and surgeon whenever they access my records. my surgeon Is as well and lucky me it is one of the best facilities in the country. they are awesome about things like that - for my hip surgery they had in place a specific diet, treatment and also any med changes for while I was there.
I just got the surgical pkg/info and it is outpatient, the surgery takes about 30 minutes and my total time in the hospital should be about 4 hours - listener they are doing it at Fanny Allen, not at the main hospital! this is a smaller facility and it's where I had my disk fusion in my neck in 1995. the nurses are primarily nuns and they are wonderful! both hospitals are great imo but I have a fondness for this smaller one. I have to take 3 dif kinds of drops after surgery for up to 6 weeks and the plan I have is specifically for diabetics. fingers crossed that I can get away w/o the transplant for a while but honestly until I have that my eyesight won't be much better and it would be wonderful to see things more clearly.
Jo, good!! The article was by a woman who'd been practically force fed the hospital's regimen, which included "healthy whole wheat" bread. . . . I think she finally checked herself out against medical advice.
I just got slapped down pretty rudely by a nurse (or mebbe wanna be nurse) for suggesting elsewhere that Atkins was not a bad place to start when looking to change over to low carb. Nurse Bluto made Nurse Ratched look like a dream. The thought of such ignorance trying to feed me gives me the willies!
That said, I has ma own food krezzies: my third batch of brownies, made with almond meal and Splenda were, bar none, the best brownies I've ever made or eaten in my whole life. So you'd think I'd learned a thang or two, eh? Na. The FOURTH batch turn out to be the worst of my lifetime. Now the question is: why am I slowly working my way through them? Why not just toss them (they are truly vile!)? Well, you see there's this brown eyed woman who lives in my head who assures me that children will starve in China if I waste food.
But, puddle, you've been to China! ;-) I say, if they're vile, they're OUT. Don't look back.
Maybe you inadvertently left out an ingredient, or the stove was at a different temp?
Jo! So glad about your cataract surgery! Have you noticed anything different in how you are seeing? What does that seem like to you? I have an eye doc appt on the Monday in Thanksgiving week, as he wants to monitor my cataracts. I am noticing that I'm not always reading things correctly from a little distance, such as the spine labels on library books. I've been double-checking myself for awhile. But generally speaking I see okay. Does it become obvious at some point?
Today, I brought a BOX home from the market, for the kitties, and this one was designed for produce, so the top is a fully open side, and the bottom has round holes! Turned on it's side, it is endless fun! =^. .^=
And I was glad, glad, to meet all those people whose lives I had saved as a young child!!
Twas my fault: I'd forgotten (for a long time, evidently) that one must remove the cap of the sea salt before grinding it. I never missed the actual salt in the things I ground it into. . . . This time the cap popped. It didn't seem like that much extra, visually. And it's not just that it's ultra salty--those beloved other natural minerals, etc, at that concentration actually *taste*--not good. . . .
I KNOW I'm very bad with salt: I can barely taste it, so I don't try to cook by taste--because if it tastes good to me, it'll be too salty for everyone else. So I just follow recipes, and put a salt shaker on the table.
listener my eye surgeries are in Nov and Dec. the doc has not seen cataracts growing as fast as mine are, it is quite bad, I have noticed a big change. he's not sure why. the glasses that I was prescribed 3 months ago are useless. when I have the surgery if lucky I will see as well as I was before the cataracts, which was not very good. I won't have better vision unless/until they do corneal transplants. I just want to get on with it.
Same here, Puddle..and those wanna be's just get more officious as time goes on. Love you all and if ANYONe sees this post please let me know here. Iam still having a problem with posts reported as added, but later are not there. Thanks, much!
Shirlee I can see your comments BUT I notice that that your name at the beginning of each of your posts is not blue text so it isn't a live link to your profile like it was before. It's possible that we need to change something on the admin side - if you are using a new gmail for you profile let puddle or I know what that is and we'll see if we need to make changes on our end of things.
I see it, Shirlee. There has been some problem with the same over at HEP. Sometimes it IS actually published, and appears, and several people see it, and then it is gone. I think it's pretty much happened to everyone, but the one it's happened to the most, Bill, just changed his browser from IE to SeaMonkey, and that seems--for now--to have taken care of the problem.
I see your post, too, Shirlee. Only there is no orange B symbol in front of your name, just a renegade space.
Thanks, Jo. One funny thing is that when I first saw your note to me about a nurse, I started scrolling though my comments to see what I'd written about nurses. (Can you tell I'm over 50? LOL!) It wasn't until I finally read your next post that it made sense. :-D
A friend sent me this article today. We both had home births back in the early 80's. It's amazing to read such affirmation now. Sad to see how much what we worked to raise awareness about still needs learning. Change takes so very much time.
77 comments:
{{{ {{ { Howard Dean still ROCKS!! } }} }}}
And Norman Mailer is spot on!!
I survived the first day of the Library open with the new software! :-D
Having been closed the last three days, we got about three days' worth of patrons and books today! Y.I.K.E.S.!! Trial by fire for our Go Live! without benefit of Dress Rehearsal! WILD!! It was so intense that whenever we had to pause to do something normal (like make a phone call) it felt strange! Ha! It was like working in an alternate universe!
But we did it! :-D We all ended the day standing! wOOt!
Glad you survived it, listener!
Nancy had her chemo cath removed today, so it feels celebratory here on the mountain.
congrats to Nancy!
glad it wasn't too bad for the team listener. it's often the 'not knowing', the fear that we won't handle it well that is much worse than the actual outcome. may the hew system work well.
hew = new. LOL!!
Well! Congrats to Listener. Glad it went well.
Glad for Nancy and I hope she continues on the path to wellness.
Too much going on here. Hopefully, I can stop by and chat later today.
What's with the Captcha proving I'm not a robot? When did that start. Has there been trouble with the site? Curious!
Barb, it looks like the captcha thang (I saw it too) was a google glitch. I was also signed out. And couldn't get the sign in page to come up. Finally, rebooted due to other problems I was having, and we seem to be back to normal.
AND I'LL BE VERY GLAD WHEN THIS MERCURY RETROGRADE IS OVER (ON THE 25TH)!!!!
Wondering that myself, Barb!
I was signed out as well, but after I entered the words, I clicked on publish and it blipped and came up signed on with no more captcha.
Yes Puddle, will be glad when Mercury is done screwing with us!
I have a friend who drove a big rig in Toronto and environs. Periodically, I'd get an email inquiring if it was Mercury Retrograde, because, in his view, that was the *only* time he'd see these particular kinds of driver krezziness. He was always right, and early.
Lovely coolish day here in GSO. Saw my very favorite
dentist of that small practice. Still have all my choppers
but dealing with a dry mouth problem for years--he had
some other suggestions and need to have three small
cavities along the gum line repaired. December.
Hi Friends,
This fall has been extraordinary. The days in the 70s and even the 80s. When in my lifetime has October had such mild and warm weather?! The colors of the leaves, shrubs, and grasses more intense than I've ever seen before.
Great Listener, that your changeover to digital went so well. And yes, I've experienced that kind of tension, and what a relief and sense of satisfaction when all goes well.
Well, we mailed out our ballots today. I'm praying that we keep our Governor and Senator. The Republicans are simply nuts, and until they regain some sanity, the republic is not safe in their tenure.
Take care of yourselves.
Shirlee, good for you getting your choppers tended to! My parents got dentures in their 20's, which made me really take good care of my teeth. All good.
Would you mind sharing what your dentist recommends for dry mouth?
.............................. o ............ o
..........*O* ..............\\ .. O .. //
......"==||==" .............\\ .||. //
........... || .......................||
.........//..\\ ............... == \\
.......//....// ...............\\ ... \\
.......=.....= ............= …..=
Happy Dance for NANCY!
Thanks for the Library well wishes! :-)
There is one thing the new software does not do that the old software did well. The old software retained the names of the last two people who checked out an item. The new software only shows the most recent person, and ONLY until you close the check-in screen..! So if, like yesterday, you go to shelve a book and discover by its spine label that it's supposed to have a cassette and zippered pouch as well, you cannot discover who must still have the cassette and pouch at home. Therefore you cannot call them and ask them to hunt for it, nor can you charge them for it if they never find and return it.
But I may have thought up a work-around, which I will test-drive tomorrow. I plan to open TWO tabs and use the first one ONLY for check-ins. As long as I don't close that tab, I'll have the list of all the items I checked in that day, with the name of who brought each back. That means I'll have at least until the end of my shift to discover a mistake that could still be rectified.
This is what we'll need to do until the software folks create an upgrade with the feature we need. Other users have asked for it already.
Cool pretty day, holding in its arms the promise of winter.
Nancy made a mercy run today on her way to/from her flu shot--dropped off some Imodium and Vaseline; picked up in town some PeptoBismol. That's the last 48 hours of my life; hope it's not the next.
{{{ {{ ♥ puddle ♥ }} }}}
Are you headed down the slippery slope again? I'm grateful to Nancy for giving you some rubber shoes!
Please keep me posted. Anything I can send?
I am utterly, unspeakably exhaustified!
Today was my second day with the new software. i like the look of the layout much better than our old system. But there are some hefty down-sides to integrate. For example, as I think I mentioned, we can no longer see WHO brought any particular book or item back. Once it's checked in and the screen is closed we no longer have the ability to call that person and let them know they left one of the CDs in their player, or that we noticed water damage and a book needs to be paid for, etc.. We HAVE TO notice any problems before we close the screen. With our old system we could see the last two patrons' names.
Also, the new system only allows a few people to have access to the cataloguing. I have never catalogued books, but part of that function is to create spine labels or change the designation from Juvenile to Young Adult, or to add new magazines, all of which I did do. Now only the director and head clerk may do those tasks. I'm okay with that, though it feels a little like a demotion. Ha!
What I feel less pleased about is that the way the software is touted is that all the people using it are invited to blog their concerns, questions and tips. On Monday a librarian from another VT library came to be with us as we began to use the software. She wanted a photo of our mascot pig (not a live pig, she's fiberglass), and I was asked to do the deed with my iPhone. So I did. She then emailed me a thank you and reiterated that we are all invited to contact her with any questions as they arise. So I asked her if there is a work-around to the "can't see the previous patron" conundrum and she assured me there isn't, that no one likes that issue, and that it is supposed to be fixed in a future upgrade. She then asked how our workshop for patrons turned out. So I told her and thanked her for helping us feel supported. It was a nice exchange.
Well today the head clerk told me that she asked the same question of this woman and the woman told her she had already told that to me. I was informed that all questions must go through the director and head clerk. Egads. How silly. It's fine with me, as they have so much responsibility. But it does make it less friendly.
Well, I need to close and dive for my pillow! Grandson and his parents are here overnight, so we'll be having an early morning. In the afternoon, Mommy and I are taking Grandson to the Echo Center so he can run and run and see fish and dinosaurs and run and run on what promises to be a chilly, rainy day. They are up here for a wedding on Saturday.
Sweet dreams, all! ♥
Good Morning,
I was dismayed to hear of the "control" in the library situation, but how real that is. We humans are control freaks, I think, and some more than others. But, we go on, do the best we can with it.
I think I misunderstood, Listener, that your situation was an upgrade to computer software instead of an introduction to a new system that hadn't been there before. I smile, though, at your humor, dressing up and braids, a good way to lighten a situation, and I'm sure the people loved it.
Hope you are feeling better today, Puddle. Keep us informed.
Again, supposed to be a warm sunny day here. Our letter was published in the Reporter-Herald yesterday. Also, Michelle Obama was here campaigning for our senator and governor.
Have a good day.
HELP! Mercury Retrogade here! Also still getting the robot check. Get well, Puddle!!!
Shirlee, try refreshing by hitting control and f5 at the same time: it forces the browser to try a new reload instead of using the saved copy.
Feeling much better. Not out of the woods yet, but seeing daylight between the tree trunks! Been so long (ten, twenty years) since I had the trots, it took me a while to figure out what to do about it. Kinda reminds me of my 30s when I switched from headaches as a stress symptom to tummy aches. I *knew* how to deal with headaches--hadn't a klew as to what to do about an upset stomach!
Glad you are feeling better, Puddle.
Yesterday I wrote:
"Also, the new system only allows a few people to have access to the cataloguing. I have never catalogued books, but part of that function is to create spine labels or change the designation from Juvenile to Young Adult, or to add new magazines, all of which I did do. Now only the director and head clerk may do those tasks. I'm okay with that, though it feels a little like a demotion. Ha! "
Well, today I have realised I am NOT okay with it. Nearly everything I do will now be things I cannot complete. Since the feeling of a job week done comes from seeing the work completed, my job satisfaction is going to suffer. I am the only person who repairs books and I can't even finish that job myself anymore.
I had expected every thing to be done a different way, but no one had explained that there would be a number of key things I would no longer be allowed to do. If I can't even renew book for a good number of patrons, then why am I even there?
I'm afraid I had something of a meltdown about it tonight. I can't really bring my concerns to the director yet, as she has been putting in long days all week, while fighting migraines, then learned that the new shelving wasn't shipped on time. So now we have to wait for January for that, since that's the next time we have a week free, with no already-scheduled programs in it.
Do folks here have any suggestions about how to deal with intense frustration for the short term? I know getting good rest and taking walks and so on. But how to deal with it in the moment? I want to scream and throw things and it's such a PITA to have to be an adult instead!
a job week done = a job well done
renew book = renew a book or renew books
(Never type when you're pissed off! Ha!)
my suggestion is to let it go for a week or so, very nicely letting them know when they need to complete something that you should be able to do. I'm betting that they will tire of having to finish a lot of these jobs for you and will give you access to that level fairly soon. this has happened to me and to others who I have worked with and it 'almost' never fails - when it is discussed prior to going live it seems like a necessity to keep the number of people with higher access to a minimum, then reality strikes and they find that they are stuck doing a number of things that they really don't want to do!
oh- and find an old teddy bear to beat up on. it's good to let that frustration out!!!
Aw, Jo, I could never ever beat up a teddy bear!! I never had one as a child, so I only have dear Spencer and he has been with us through thick and thin. He has even been to the hospital when a Son was in a car accident and when a Grand was in hospital for respiratory issues.
The sticking point here is that it wasn't the director and head clerk who made the call on who gets access and who doesn't. It is a requirement of the group of libraries who are offering this software. So it may well be that we are stuck with it.
I would be able to let it go for a week if I weren't working. But how to let it go when I have to work there tomorrow 10am to 2pm as well as Tues and Thurs and next Saturday, etc.? That kind of keeps it in my face, and there may yet be other issues I haven't tripped across yet.
I wrote a letter about all of this to the Director tonight, but haven't sent it. I don't know what she can do about it. But it's sure difficult that we weren't prepared for this.
I cherish all prayers and good vibes.
Hi Listener,
Pretend you are in a different country and it's a brand new culture. Try not to be frustrated or show impatience; in short, just do what you can to the best of your abilities. I think Jo's advice is good in the sense that let them feel the frustration, and then maybe they can effect changes for a more realistic and individually responsible system.
There's a relief in being in a strange culture because you get to be an observer as well as a participant.
You have our sympathies, Listener. I'm sure it's difficult, but you are so capable and compassionate, you can do it.
Thanks, Pat and Jo, for your caring and kind words. I don't think I'm feeling impatient, but my frustration level is through the roof!
I went into this expecting everything to be different, and different is not a problem. But not being able to function is like trying to serve patrons in a straight jacket with tape over my mouth. I came to this with a sense of humor and ended up crying.
I imagine everyone in the group has had a meltdown at one time or another this week. The pressure on the director must be horrible.
It's hitting me hard tonight because I have to go back into the fray tomorrow. Now *I* need some comic relief. Heh.
Thanks for your compassionate words. I cried with relief when I read them. My usually sweet husband is on overload from it all, and I am feeling very pent up.
Sleep, good food, prayer, and good friends. I need to try to stay in present tense. Thanks.
Well, hoping all things are, or have been, smoothed over by the time everyone gets this.
Yes, will be glad when Mercury is done messin' with us.
Much love had many hugs to all!
listener, just keep on keeping on, and taking deep breaths. ♥
from Kos. . . .
• North Carolina: In-person early voting started Thursday in North Carolina, and 118,000 voters took advantage on the first day. Fifty-one percent of them were registered Democrats, while 29 percent of them were registered Republicans. While Democrats have long enjoyed an edge in North Carolina's in-person early voting, their advantage this year is substantially greater than it was four years ago.
Unfortunately it is hard to compare these numbers to past cycles because state Republicans cut the early voting period by half, making it hard to compare these numbers to what they were at equivalent points of 2010 or 2012. But Democrats should also be satisfied that it took four days for as many North Carolinians to vote during the last midterms. Kay Hagan needs a strong turnout operation to win re-election, and this first wave of statistics suggests Democrats are getting their voters to the polls. Can they keep up this pace? We'll find out soon enough.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Listener--please don't let the dingbat details of library work
or personalities frustrate you too much--can drive your
Blood pressure up. ACT mouth rinse and lozenges are
what my dentist suggested. Working well. Love to all.
Shirlee, glad something's working!! Good on yer dentist!
The little emoticon was a gift for listener, who is our keeper of such nowdays--I couldn't figure out how to do it again, so I just copied it, and that worked fine.
Just up: weather prediction for next Saturday--39º/40% chance of snow. . . .
Thanks, Shirlee!
Well, I have a story about work today, and the first thing to tell you is that it ends well.
I got up early so I could mail a package before work. However, just as I was leaving, I discovered my change purse was missing. Mind you, it was made as a change purse, but holds my driver's license, credit card, medical insurance card and check cashing cards, plus it happened to have in it something I never gave: cash... about $100 of cash. So, I hunted for it instead of going to the PO, then had to leave for work without it. Argh! I called the supermarket where I used it last, but they had not seen it. I recalled putting it into my reusable bag, so told myself it must still be in that bag and went to work.
On Saturdays I work with a nice woman who is an old family friend. So I was surprised that she wasn't there, and there was a strange car in the parking lot. It turns out she needed to attend a funeral. So, I got to work with the Head Clerk. So far, not a good day, eh?
It got better.
Shortly after I got home, I found the change purse on the seat of the chair on the far side if the dining table, where it just have fallen while unloading groceries. =Whew!=
On Friday, the head clerk was supposed to attend a Cataloguer's meeting 2.5 hours away. But about an hour from here, driving 70mph on the interstate, a large turkey flew up and into her windshield! It cracked the entire windshield, dented the roof, and sprayed her with glass! Fortunately, she wasn't injured and was able to limp the car a mile to an actual rest stop (Jo, it was at Randolph.) [We sometimes have 70 miles between rest stops.] it was while she was sitting at the rest stop, covered in glass, that our coworker called to ask her to work today. She also called her insurance company, of course, then called the Cataloguers' meeting to explain her absence. While she waited for the tow truck, the other cataloguers answered her most important questions. Guess what! Some of the libraries in our consortium have opted to allow all staff to have access to cataloging! And! As predicted by Jo, the Head Clerk has become a fan of that...! Now to see if the Director is amenable. But that would solve ALL my concerns with the new software!! Hope is alive!
Addenda:
something I never gave = something I never have
far side if the dining table = far side of the dining table
it just have fallen = it must have fallen
Did I mention that the Head Clerk's first brand new car ever was only 5 weeks old? :-(
And in the You Learn Something New Every Day department, I learned today that in Vermont the Internet infrastructure had to be put in place using horse drawn wagons! We love how that creative mixing of old and new just makes sense here.
Had an interesting set of dreams last night: was substituting the cast from one series into another series. e.g.--the cast from Downton Abbey into The Waltons. Sopranos --> West Wing. . . .
Yay listener! so glad that you found the purse and that you got to bond a bit with the Head Clerk - I hope they allow access for you and solve all of your problems. I'm guessing that they will and I will also say that I bet you will be the one that they come to when they have questions about the new software! just a thought. I'm also so glad that she wasn't injured, that must have been quite an impact.
puddle your dreams must have been fantastic, I'm having fun just imagining what that jumble might look like! ;-)
listener, looks like it's turning out well for you. Glad about the coin purse. Sorry for your lead clerk's accident, but she's very lucky--that kind of accident kills peeps around here all the time. Did they let her keep the turkey?
btw, I've been getting msgs to backup my hard drive, that there might be a problem with it. I've done a backup to an external device, just wanted to let you know that if I disappear it's 'puter trubbles!
Wonder if it didn't start when I was thinking last night about two real cross-overs from The Sopranos to The West Wing. Jerry Adler (whom I love) played Hesh, a loan shark on The Sopranos, and Toby Ziegler's father, Julie, on The West Wing. Tony's sister's finance and creep ended up as Toby's rabbi. . . .
Thanks for the sweet messages. I am so glad I could bring you good news. As I drove home from work I though, "Wow, those BFAers really know how to use the prayers and vibes! ♥
puddle…what a hoot! Any chance it's an indication you're gulping the TV shows a little too quickly? Gotta gIve your brain more time to take it all in…? LOL!
Forums on my old dating site: 37 year old woman complains she only gets hit on by married guy. Three pages later, genius (me) comes up with solution and goes googling. . . .
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0363/1393/products/Bunny_Boiler_2_hand_stamped_rabbit_necklace_from_LA_LA_LAND_1024x1024.jpg?v=1406924443
Or maybe I've been alone in the wilderness for too long?
guys. . . . She admits to being passive submissive. . . . .
This explains a few things. Maybe suggest an assertiveness class. ;-)
listener, she sez she's a "good Catholic girl" and that's how they're supposed to behave towards men. . . . She just wants the married ones to stay away from her, on their own.
Looks like alls well that ends well! Glad for purse found, glad for Head lady being ok, and glad for computer troubles seeming to come to an end.
Puddle, what a lively mind!
I've been going to a local FB site called "Buy Nothing Northeast" that's set up for local northeastern Seattle folk to get rid of stuff. I love it. I put up a few thing that I've been hanging on to for far too long and had wonderful responses. So nice to know our stuff is going to "neighbors". Getting rid of a lot of our chicken/rooster collection that folks gave us over the year as we are slowly downsizing. We'll keep those that we have an emotional attachment to, the rest are GONE! and it's amazing how many chicken/rooster lovers there are out there.
Much love and many hugs to all. XOXOXO
Ah, Barb--Nancy and I were talking about how friends help by adding to one's collections (of things one no longer collects. . . .). I've downsized my giraffe collection several different times, and it's currently just stowed, except for the biggest of all which sits on my stair landing, lol! I also no longer collect hands or boxes.
I'm waiting till my youngest sister turns sixty, and then I'm inundating her with owls.
Hi Friends,
I'm delighted, Listener, that things are working out, though I was sure they would.
Yes, stuff. Hi Barb. We have FreeNet here in Fort Collins, and everyday, people ask for things they need and offer things they don't need on email. It's terrific. But, I also love Good Will and community thrift shops. It's recycling, it employs people, and it makes things affordable, not to mention a great variety.
Another beautiful day here. We're listening to Living On Earth on NPR right now. Tomorrow snow predicted.
Take care friends.
Jo, hoping and praying your computer comes through this with a low tech/low cost solution!!
the actual retrograde is over, but that pesky shadow hangs around till November 5.
We have almost 80º predicted for Tuesday, morphing to snow four days later. Nuts!
Hey, Jo, please do check in, if you're still connected! ♥
Here's some entertainment for the week leading up to All Hallow's. Enjoy!!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152989464721754.1073741991.637766753&type=1&l=99cc53563f
hi all! I'm here but have been busy. the computer is still giving me the message that a hard drive crash is imminent but so far so good!
my furnace stopped working last week so it has been a few very cold damp days - Jasper and I have been sleeping with heating pads, LOL! my son checked it out yesterday and brought a new igniter over today and installed it so we are warm once again. so glad that it happened now and not when it was much colder. the furnace was here when I bought this house so not sure how old it is, but Derek says that the average life expectancy is 15 years and I've been here 16! he says everything else looks good so hopefully it will get me through a few more winters.
I saw my eye doc a couple of weeks ago - did I mention that? he says that the cataracts are growing much faster than he usually sees so he has scheduled first surgery for Nov 24 and next on Dec 15. he thinks my glucose levels are low enough now but I will still need a pre-op exam with A1C, ekg, etc. he decided to do just the cataracts for now, if it worsens my corneal dystrophy we'll do the transplants a bit later.
much love to all of you! xoxoxo
Shirlee it occurs to me that since you aren't on facebook you've never 'met' my family - these are my 5 grandchildren from earlier this year. the girls are sisters and live about 25 miles away and the boys are brothers and live just around the corner from me.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=801987946531400&set=p.801987946531400&type=1&theater
Jo, don't know if you'll be IN the hospital any length of time, but read a great article about protecting yourself while in hospitals against hospital policy on feeding/medicating diabetics. Gist of which was to have a treatment plan/diet from your own doc registered at the hospital *before* known admissions, and to carry same with you in case of accidents/emergencies.
thank you puddle, that is a wonderful idea! my past and current docs are both in the network of our teaching hospital so all of my records are updated in real time, they will see the latest info from my reg doc and surgeon whenever they access my records. my surgeon Is as well and lucky me it is one of the best facilities in the country. they are awesome about things like that - for my hip surgery they had in place a specific diet, treatment and also any med changes for while I was there.
I just got the surgical pkg/info and it is outpatient, the surgery takes about 30 minutes and my total time in the hospital should be about 4 hours - listener they are doing it at Fanny Allen, not at the main hospital! this is a smaller facility and it's where I had my disk fusion in my neck in 1995. the nurses are primarily nuns and they are wonderful! both hospitals are great imo but I have a fondness for this smaller one. I have to take 3 dif kinds of drops after surgery for up to 6 weeks and the plan I have is specifically for diabetics. fingers crossed that I can get away w/o the transplant for a while but honestly until I have that my eyesight won't be much better and it would be wonderful to see things more clearly.
Jo, good!! The article was by a woman who'd been practically force fed the hospital's regimen, which included "healthy whole wheat" bread. . . . I think she finally checked herself out against medical advice.
I just got slapped down pretty rudely by a nurse (or mebbe wanna be nurse) for suggesting elsewhere that Atkins was not a bad place to start when looking to change over to low carb. Nurse Bluto made Nurse Ratched look like a dream. The thought of such ignorance trying to feed me gives me the willies!
That said, I has ma own food krezzies: my third batch of brownies, made with almond meal and Splenda were, bar none, the best brownies I've ever made or eaten in my whole life. So you'd think I'd learned a thang or two, eh? Na. The FOURTH batch turn out to be the worst of my lifetime. Now the question is: why am I slowly working my way through them? Why not just toss them (they are truly vile!)? Well, you see there's this brown eyed woman who lives in my head who assures me that children will starve in China if I waste food.
But, puddle, you've been to China! ;-)
I say, if they're vile, they're OUT. Don't look back.
Maybe you inadvertently left out an ingredient, or the stove was at a different temp?
Jo! So glad about your cataract surgery! Have you noticed anything different in how you are seeing? What does that seem like to you? I have an eye doc appt on the Monday in Thanksgiving week, as he wants to monitor my cataracts. I am noticing that I'm not always reading things correctly from a little distance, such as the spine labels on library books. I've been double-checking myself for awhile. But generally speaking I see okay. Does it become obvious at some point?
Today, I brought a BOX home from the market, for the kitties, and this one was designed for produce, so the top is a fully open side, and the bottom has round holes! Turned on it's side, it is endless fun! =^. .^=
And I was glad, glad, to meet all those people whose lives I had saved as a young child!!
Twas my fault: I'd forgotten (for a long time, evidently) that one must remove the cap of the sea salt before grinding it. I never missed the actual salt in the things I ground it into. . . . This time the cap popped. It didn't seem like that much extra, visually. And it's not just that it's ultra salty--those beloved other natural minerals, etc, at that concentration actually *taste*--not good. . . .
I KNOW I'm very bad with salt: I can barely taste it, so I don't try to cook by taste--because if it tastes good to me, it'll be too salty for everyone else. So I just follow recipes, and put a salt shaker on the table.
listener my eye surgeries are in Nov and Dec. the doc has not seen cataracts growing as fast as mine are, it is quite bad, I have noticed a big change. he's not sure why. the glasses that I was prescribed 3 months ago are useless. when I have the surgery if lucky I will see as well as I was before the cataracts, which was not very good. I won't have better vision unless/until they do corneal transplants. I just want to get on with it.
listener soooo sorry about the nurse. methinks the woman chose the wrong profession!!!
I meant puddle - doh!!
good luck with your apt listener.
I've thought for a long time that nurses come in two flavors. Nurse flavor. And, I wanna be around power (and possibly marry it) flavor.
Same here, Puddle..and those wanna be's just get more
officious as time goes on. Love you all and if ANYONe
sees this post please let me know here. Iam still
having a problem with posts reported as added, but later are not there. Thanks, much!
Shirlee I can see your comments BUT I notice that that your name at the beginning of each of your posts is not blue text so it isn't a live link to your profile like it was before. It's possible that we need to change something on the admin side - if you are using a new gmail for you profile let puddle or I know what that is and we'll see if we need to make changes on our end of things.
I see it, Shirlee. There has been some problem with the same over at HEP. Sometimes it IS actually published, and appears, and several people see it, and then it is gone. I think it's pretty much happened to everyone, but the one it's happened to the most, Bill, just changed his browser from IE to SeaMonkey, and that seems--for now--to have taken care of the problem.
I see your post, too, Shirlee. Only there is no orange B symbol in front of your name, just a renegade space.
Thanks, Jo. One funny thing is that when I first saw your note to me about a nurse, I started scrolling though my comments to see what I'd written about nurses. (Can you tell I'm over 50? LOL!) It wasn't until I finally read your next post that it made sense. :-D
A friend sent me this article today. We both had home births back in the early 80's. It's amazing to read such affirmation now. Sad to see how much what we worked to raise awareness about still needs learning. Change takes so very much time.
Obstetricians, Labor Nurses, and Other Medical Professionals are Choosing to Have Their Babies at Home
http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/why-are-medical-professionals-who-deliver-babies-in-hospitals-choosing-to-have-their-own-babies-at-home/#sthash.gNG2FlXN.dpuf
http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/why-are-medical-professionals-who-deliver-babies-in-hospitals-choosing-to-have-their-own-babies-at-home/
Actually, my two home births were in 1978 an 1982.
Wonderful article, listener!
New thread!! Enjoy. . . .
Post a Comment