Monday, December 22, 2014

Mo Meer. . . .





76 comments:

listener said...

Howard Dean is no mere politician!

listener said...

Just had a few painful twinges in my shoulder after none all day. I wonder what that means.

puddle said...

Prolly means you're tired. . . .

Jo_in_Vermont said...

so sorry to hear about your pain listener. I missed what you did to your shoulder - hope it feels better soon!

whitznd said...

Greetings all. Kid and Grand come today and I did not get done all I needed to. Oh well, it is what it is.

Much to do today before they arrive.

Thank you for the new thread. the Meercat is wonderful.

XOXOXO

puddle said...

Happy Festivus eveyone!!

puddle said...

I urge you to google "Festivus" -- the results begin with: A Festivus miracle! AND, there's a Festivus pole on the left hand side of the page, lol! Those google-rats are too funny by half!

listener said...

Jo, it's my 8th bout of shingles, centered this time in my left shoulder. That was the last of the twinges, at least.

But what a rough day today. Ironically enough, I was woken before 9am by my doctor's office calling to let me know that the prescription for extra anti-viral had been called in, and oh by the way, the doctor isn't inclined to renew my maintenance dose of antiviral medication beginning soon.

As I have been taking this for 12 year and get shingles if I'm off it for three days, that kind of freaked me out a little…! I explained my concern and she went off to talk with my doctor. Later she called back and said the doc will give me one more month of it, but during the month we need to meet and talk about other alternatives.

So I'll find out on January 16th what that's all about. I did ask if she meant go to see an Infectious Disease Specialist and she said that is actually one of the alternatives.

Sigh. Been there, down that. They said they can't help me unless I get a full blown case of shingles that they can culture, to ascertain exactly what medication works best for it. But, uh, as long as this medication works, I'd rather not go through that to find out. If it ain't broke, why fix it? I only got shingles this time because I got a stomach bug and couldn't keep the medicine down. The same would have been true for any other medicine.

I guess this is what has to happen to educate my newish doctor about shingles. It must be fairly strange to have a patient who has had shingles 8 times. She wants to be of help and do her job well, and maybe there's some new information I don't already know about. But I hope I'm not just being asked to be guinea pig or to go through all the same tests and steps I've already done.

The long and the short of it is that there is no underlying condition, it's just that I was born with a low-normal immune system. That is, notice, still normal. But when I get sick and my immune system dips below normal, I come down with shingles ~ unless I am on the antiviral medicine.

So you can imagine it's unsettling to have my doctor say she may not prescribe it any more. No what? All I can do is go hear her out and see what the options are.

Oh, so she called in the prescription and my insurance company rejected it. Even though my doctor specified it's for a "current outbreak" the insurance doesn't comprehend why I need more of the medication when I recently got some. Argh! My pharmacist said that if I run out of it before that gets straightened out, he'll fill my January prescription first. Bless him. Something tells me he sees too much of this crap.

listener said...

"No what?" should be "Now what?"


I went back to work today for the first time in two weeks. Tonight I'm having a bit of a physical setback. Must rest some more.

But I'm still doing better than I was!! I am looking forward to these days of Christmas.

My best friend's mother died this morning. She had been taking care of her most of the time for the last five months. She loved her mother and is deeply saddened, but also greatly relieved to no longer need to be 5 hours from home and constantly caregiving.

"There's no great loss without some small gain."
~ Laura Ingalls Wilder

puddle said...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/1920201_880224908679080_3506817495956809173_n.jpg?oh=f0f9e3d3d4e7f53ecd0e67ed3919e30e&oe=553203EB&__gda__=1425631170_5dd35d25437dbc87a7d515459e44a72e

Shirlee Murphy said...

Ah, I guess I am the slowest of the slow-- just GOT
the new mere cat! Love it.

Listener, I'm sorry to hear of your continuing health
problems. This may not help for you, but do you
know there is now a shingles vaccine available?
My primary care doc asks me about it every year
at my Medicare Annual Wellness Visit.

Today at Apt. 216 we will be starting a three day
Christmas celebration. Tonight and tomorrow
the two of us and then on Friday my oldest
daughter Marla arrives on her way from Baltimore
and her beloved grand daughters back to winter
quarters in Florida. Happy Christmas to all.




listener said...

♥ THANK-YOU, PUDDLE!!! ♥

The fir scent arrived today (perfect timing!) and it's wonderful! I first sprayed some on our wreath out front, just to test the scent. It smelled nice, but not strong. So when I sprayed it inside I used 4 short sprays, and it's really strong! Ha! I recommend 1 short spray for a small room and one ing or two short sprays for a large room. So I have the nearby window cracked open and all's well. LOL! The can says you spray it to the center of the room. But I wanted it to seem to be coming right from the greens adorning our window. They were so fast! I only placed the order on Sunday!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BECPNYG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

listener said...

"one ing or two short sprays" should read "one long or two short sprays" :-D


The scent is accurate, just concentrated. I look forward to going out then coming back into the house again, as it is best noticed that way.







puddle said...

Oh, good, I'm glad it hasn't changed that much. It smelled more like a fresh tree than anything else I've ever tried! Delighted it worked!!

Shirley, it took me a bit the first time I saw it, too, lol! I think it's just a lovely job! I know it's photoshopped, because meerkats are about the size of big squirrels.

AND. . . . kiddle called today--he's coming on Boxing Day and bringing his father and my grands! And stopping by the post office to pick up Tonio's present, which was delivered there this morning.

Pat said...

I Wish You a Merry Christmas, I Wish You a Merry Christmas and all the music, joy, beauty of the day.

We'll go into Fort Collins and celebrate with son, daughter-in-law, grand girl, parents of daughter-in-law. We'll all bring food and gifts, and it will be fun and memorable.

I'm glad we're all here. It's a gift.

whitznd said...

Wishing all of my bloggie family a most Happy Christmas.

Love to you all!

puddle said...

Love and light and joy to everyone here I love!!

Shirlee Murphy said...

Yes, Pat is right, This blog is a gift--every day. Thank you Jo and Puddle for making it possible. It is THE place to come to--for advice, be comforted, to share our triumphs and joys! Festivities continue today at 216!

I am glad your KIddle will be visiting , Puddle. Have fun,
enjoy, ..rest up later! (Well, I am assuming you may need to because I will!! Happy, Happy to all!!!!!

listener said...

A sweet and Merry Christmas to you one and all.

We went to a beautiful church service last evening, during which the man who sang the solo gave the best rendition of O Holy Night that I have ever heard live. Jane the priest spoke of how in Pashawar they are not celebrating Christmas in the wake of the slaughter of innocent children this past week. On the way home, as we rounded a bend in fog, there sitting on the line in the center of the road was a huge female Snowy Owl, who remained undeterred as we approached. Wonder-full!!

puddle said...

I've often wondered about the draw our roads seem to have for animals. The deer who caucus mid road, the squirrels endless and deadly fascination with them. All the bad decisions made by woodchucks about when to cross. Owls, hawks and eagles sitting on that yellow line. . .

Quiet and sunny and cold day here. Me pretty much just doing pickup for tomorrow.

Facebook's been a pleasure all day: getting to see the littles with their rocking horses (gift of choice this year!), and good food, and good friends. Bless Al Gore (and Darpa for the nets!) And had to laugh at Moira's mum calling them smallies vs my use of littles. . .

puddle said...

END OF YEAR BUMP IN VIEWS OF ECONOMY, OBAMA - Kevin Liptak: "Improving views of the economy have helped hike President Barack Obama's approval rating to a 20-month high, a new CNN/ORC poll showed Tuesday, as markets climbed to record levels at news of an economy in overdrive. More Americans still disapprove of the job Obama is doing as President. But at 48%, Obama's approval rating is at its highest point in CNN polling since May 2013. The gains were driven by newfound backing among women, independents and millennials — groups where Obama's approval numbers jumped 10 percentage points from a month ago….Tuesday's CNN/ORC poll showed for the first time in seven years, a majority of Americans — 51% — have a positive view of the economy, a sharp increase from the 38% who felt that way in October. The jump was present in every demographic group — men, women, whites, non-whites, urban, rural — and was largest among Americans who earn less than $50,000 annually."

Jo_in_Vermont said...

Merry Christmas Ladies! Love and light to you all!

Nice to see O's ratings rise, he deserves more credit than he's been getting. Perhaps a few of those teabaggers in Congress will implode from the news of it, LOL!

Hope you're feeling better soon listener.

listener said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
listener said...

[Same message I just deleted, but with a better link…]

Here's a little Christmas present!

This site makes a snowflake out of the letters of your name. So beautiful!

http://snowflake.thebookofeveryone.com/specials/make-your-snowflake/

puddle said...

Happy Boxing Day!!

listener said...

Ah, puddle, the animals think of roads simply as open spaces. An owl can see 360 better from the middle of a road than the side. The animals were there first, and we have invaded their wilds. Even a squirrel needs to get from the local feeder to it's nest. It's all about food supply and our obsession with having roads everywhere.

listener said...

Just to add, puddle, that a deer stops in our headlights because instinct tells it to freeze when danger aporoaches. A squirrel that darts in front of it's for often confuses the foe...unless it's a car. Etc. They are just doing what comes naturally. We are the aberration.

listener said...

*approaches

listener said...

Among other things, Daughter gave me a metal, mini-Nativity for Christmas. I set it up on a small chest of drawers in the hallway and it looks really sweet there. The pieces are so small, about the size of those lead soldiers our grandparents played with, and fairly heavy for their size. So we set behind them the book *A Very Small Miracle* by Peter Collington…which is an Orthodox tale of a starving gypsy woman who saves a Nativity set from a burglar and in return they come to her aid. It's a wordless book and gorgeously illustrated.
But this morning I noticed one of the Kings was missing. Then I found the Archangel under the dining room table. Later I caught the bandit white-pawed! Spinnaker is the Abominable Nativity Monster, who cannot resist doing gravity experiments with the figures and seeing how many she can hide under the chest! Silly kitty! =^. .^=

puddle said...

Such a lovely day!! I have water, a fixed drain, a new heater, long conversations about computers with a grand son, hugs and grins from a grand daughter, and good old timey convo with their grandfather.

I am exhausted, as is the Boy. Have to report that my guests had a weenie roast, complete with S'mores.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Sounds like a lovely day, Puddle! Brenda and I had a fine time on Christmas Eve and day. Our guest for Friday, daughter Marla had a horrible virus, was recovering, but
by-passed us on her way back to the sunshine state.
Bless her heart--don't need that stuff here! Brenda will
pack up her gift and mail it. She has recently shown an interest in my favorite author Wendell Berry. Am sending her one of his short story collections on CD. Blue skies, sunshine and 50's in GSO today! Happy after Christmas
time to all. Be good, stay well, enjoy this lovely quiet week between the holidays, Love to all.

puddle said...

Only president in my lifetime that could have pulled this off: http://images.politico.com/global/2014/12/24/141224_obama_tiara_wh_1160_956x519.jpg

Jo_in_Vermont said...

LOL, that is priceless! thanks for sharing puddle!

puddle said...

Obama had a cardinal rule: “...You don’t put stuff on your head if you’re president,” "That’s politics 101. You never look good wearing something on your head."

Shirlee Murphy said...

Love this. Thanks, Puddle. I have sent it off to Brenda.
This is a Prez who loves children AND comes out tops on the economy!

Pat said...

Hi Friends,

We got about 8 inches of snow on Christmas Day, left before dessert to make it home. Even then, cars off the road. A Jeep ahead of us on our access road stopped at the top of the switchback, began to roll backwards, swerved and just missed us as he went into the ditch.

We made it home and the snow continued all night and the next day. We heard via our Storm Mountain network, there were a number of cars off the road, and the fire department couldn't get to them. Ah winter.

Today as yesterday, cold, snowy, and more snow tonight and tomorrow. Winter seems a high price to pay for the loveliness of spring, summer, and fall, but okay.

I read Stephen King's new novel, Revival. He's a master at using contemporary culture, places, and expressions to entice the reader. Nederland our old hometown is in the book, and true to King, the story is scary. I think that may be my last Stephen King novel. Scary impacts me more than ever.

Yes, Barack Obama is extraordinary. I am convinced he'll go down as one of our greats. The prejudice, vituperation, obstruction used against him hasn't worked. He's accomplished so much, albeit incrementally. But these last three things: low unemployment,
changed status of Cuba, and protection of families in staying deportation, as well as an accord with China on carbon emissions has Republicans flummoxed. I haven't heard much screaming lately.

Take care, stay warm, and I'm glad that the holidays were happy for you.


puddle said...

They're not screaming right now 'cause they're still celebrating. And licking their lips about wrecking the economy so a dem can't get elected. It hasn't dawned on them yet that IF they do--there's not enough time for the voters to forget who did it. . . .

whitznd said...

Right-O on the repubs not having enough brains to realize that us US citizens DO have brains!.

Love the Prez with the tiara. How joyful he is.

Daughter and grand back safely in San Jose. A whirlwind trip. Hit Pike Place Mkt AND the Ferris Wheel on one day. other days were devoted to shopping as that is daughter's favorite thing to do. Had to loan her an extra suitcase to get all her stuff back home.

Sounds like Christmas was grand for everyone. I go into the hospital tomorrow for my ablation and don't come home til New Year's Eve. Here's hoping all of your New Year's are wonderful and healthful.

Much love and many hugs to all my blog family.

listener said...

Pat, I'm sorry you've had so much snow that it has been treacherous there. Seems you're overdue for a nice thaw. We got a very rare Christmas thaw this year, then a soft dusting overnight. The snowflakes were a mix of small flakes and large pellets. The snow cover has the looks of polyester quilt batting!

Even though we haven't had a problem with snow this week, I still had car trouble. I pulled out into traffic, heard a loud *POP!!* and suddenly my car could not drive forward or backward. Luckily, I was able to roll back out of the way! So my cute little ice blue Mini Cooper, with only 18K miles on it, got towed to the dealer. Sigh. Transmission? Waiting to hear.

listener said...

{{{ ♥ Barb ♥ }}}
May all go well for your ablation and recovery. I hope you have a few good movies planned for the first day or two home. Take care and let us know how you fare, once you are able. Meanwhile, prayers ensuing! XOXOXXX

Pat said...

Hi,

Barb, yes, we'll be thinking of you, hoping all goes well and that your recovery is quick. I'll say a prayer for you.

Thank you, Listener, for your sympathy, also my sympathy for your car trouble. I remember driving up Boulder Canyon one spring night is a whiteout. There was a rock in the middle of the road, and I had a choice, hit it or go into the side of the mountain. I hit it, took out the transmission, but made it up to the top of the canyon and an auto shop at the entrance to Nederland. I left the car there and walked home, only a couple of miles. I was grateful it wasn't worse.

Right now, more snow, temperature at 10 degrees F. But, we have a fire in the fireplace, the room is cozy, and I'm reading The Best Poetry of 2014. Much of it confuses me, makes me wonder what I'm supposed to understand. I think there's lots of experimentation in literature today, probably a good thing, but I look to poetry and music to answer some longing, to affect me emotionally. Much of it does not.

Well, back to my chair in front of the fire.

listener said...

Ah, Pat, yes; I completely concur with you about modern poetry. Most modern art has a similar effect on me. I prefer something which speaks to the longing and verve of living, something which challenges and encourages, inspires and makes me go deeper. Give me poets such as Mary Doty, Rumi, Li Ang Li, Madeleine L'Engle, Charles Simic, Maren Tirabassi, Rilke!

Well, we should know by midday tomorrow whether the issue is with the axle (2 days to fix) or the transmission (7 days to fix). We like fixable problems, especially when they are completely under warranty! And it could have been so much worse. 20 minutes before I was driving 65-70mph on the interstate!

listener said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
listener said...

LOL! Let me try that again…



((( (( ♥ ♡ BARB! ♡ ♥ )) )))

puddle said...

Pat, glad you're surviving your snow!!

Barb--Medical Mercies!!

listener, so sorry about your teeny tiny bebe. Hope it's swell soon!

listener said...

"You can't ride in my red wagon..."

Pat said...

Good Morning,

I don't know what I'm going to do about all this global warming! Just kidding: It's below zero, have about 3 more inches of snow. Living in Alaska has never appealed to me. Coming from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, I remember walking to school in the cold, going into the bathroom and turning on the hot water to warm my frozen hands.

But, we have shelter, warm clothes, a gas furnace that if you stand with your backside facing the fire and then sit in a chair, ah, the warmth.

Thanks for the comment, Listener. I'm with you with respect to seeking values in poetry. I think we are in a revolutionary time with respect to technology, communication, multi-cultural awareness, individuality, and the arts. What I'm seeing (that puts me off) is almost no regard for the reader. It's all about self, individual experiences, awareness, imagination, but no access for the reader.

I think of the 1940's through the early 1960's as a time of conformity, homogeneity, and authoritarianism. I think that's gone (thank heavens), but individuality without awareness of others is not a virtue, in my thinking. Too much poetry I read is incomprehensible. I don't know what the writer is talking about, can discern no rhythms, sounds, images that bring me into the poem. It frustrates me and sometimes makes me annoyed.

I think of the music business and how no one buys CDs or single records anymore. It's all downloading. I think that will be true of books as well, though I've read some parts of books on my Kindle and I don't enjoy it much.

Well, have a good day. We're supposed to stay about zero all day. Ah, Hawaii, the tropics, spring!

Shirlee Murphy said...

Good health, weather and vehicle wishes to all! Books and CDs-- most of my family are still buying. Nobody has informed our new bookstore! They are doing very well.
Indeed!

Gray, damp day here in GSO. Have a lovely one all!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

So much going on! Love and light to you Barb! Let us know how you're doing as soon as you can.

listener I had that happen to me one time, it was the timing belt, what an awful feeling that was! It took almost as much work for the mechanics to get to it and replace it as changing the engine would have, it was hidden away so.

I wish you all a wonderful new year - good health, much love, resolution for troubles, new things to stimulate your minds and your senses. Thank you for being here, you make my life so much happier and filled with care and kindness. <3

Pat said...

Hi, BRRRR. Below zero, but we have heat.

Jo, I'm glad this blog brings you joy. I think it's true as well for all of us.

Shirlee, I'm glad your bookstore is doing well, and hope bookstores everywhere are. I read a while ago that amazon sells more ebooks than paper books. I am most comfortable with paper books, and online used paper books at such sites as Amazon, Biblio, Alibris and others are very cheap. I've bought used books on Amazon for a penny and shipping.

With respect to my comments about the conformity and authoritarianism of the 40's through the early 60's, I read the psychologist Rollo May's Man's Search for Himself. He was the one that labeled those years as conformist, and I was persuaded. I thought of my growing up: I was told what to wear, when to wear it, what to say, what to believe, how to use tableware, how to talk to grownups, and the list goes on. I hadn't thought of it that way, but I think he was right. After WWII, there was a tremendous need for stability, safety, domestic and community tranquility. Maybe all that conformity contributed to it, I suspect it did. But I remember when my friend and I shortened our skirts to our knees, and the principal of our school, a nun, ripped out the hems, and we had to walk around all day with hanging threads and hems.

Well, maybe this wasn't true for anyone else here, but it was true for me. I hope I didn't give offense. If so, I apologize.

Well, back to hovering near the furnace.

puddle said...

Don't know Pat--in my culture: school, church, friends, neighborhood, there was certainly a lot of it. In my *home* very little. I had parents totally disinterested in being masters. What seemed to be required is that we think, and think about consequences, and make new things, and be kind. I'm under no illusion that I was anything other than lucky in my parents and siblings. I took my parents' politics, my sibs all took the church instead. But even there, they're a more open kind of Mormon (mostly) than one would normally meet.

I too am very grateful for this place that Jo made, and for all of us who come to share!

xox

listener said...

"individuality without awareness of others is not a virtue"

So true! I agree about the lack of access for the reader, in too much modern poetry.


Thanks Jo, and all. As you may have surmised from my "red wagon" quote, the issue turned out to be the axle. The tech asked me if I hit a snowbank. I did not. And anyway I would hope that a car's axle would withstand a few snowbanks, here in Vermont! LOL! The tech said it could be a "bad part." Ya think?! The Mini has just 18,000 miles on it. My husband's 17 year old pickup had over 160,000 miles on it and still had its original axles! Ha!

listener said...

Holy moly, I had to go toe to toe with the insurance people on Tuesday, but I stood my ground and got my prescription filled at last! Did I tell you about this mess?

Last week after I got the shingles, my doc prescribed a higher dose of the anti-viral. My insurance rejected it! The explanation was that I already had some antiviral and it wasn't time to refill it yet. DUH! What I already had was the maintenance dose (250mg x 2/day) and what was prescribed was the Outbreak dose (500mg x 3/day). So my doc tried again, clearly specifying the reason for the prescription. It got rejected a second time! Then it was Christmas and everything was closed. So I kept using up my maintenance dose at a fast clip, doubling it up, as my pharmacist said he would refill my maintenance dose early if need be, until this could get straightened out, God bless him!
So, next the insurance needed the broomstick of the wicked witch of the west, er, a reauthorization form signed by my doctor. So she faxed one to them. And it was rejected a third time!!!
That's what I had had all the crap I was going to take. The pharmacist gave me a number to call, but the person there tried to say I have an outdated member number, that became outdated in 2009. That's NOT POSSIBLE since it's a card with my husband's employer's company name on it and he didn't start working there until 2012! So I hung up and called again, to a different representative and got that much straightened out. I spoke with yet a third person who said the best thing is for the doctor to call them with a voice authorization since the faxed kind takes 3-10 days to process. 3 to 10 days to process a prescription request?!!! I told her I don't have 3 to 10 days because if I go 3 days without the anti-viral I will have shingles again!!! Argh!! This last person had a brain and said that it's just that they get so many faxes, but a call would expedite it. So my doctor made the call and her nurse called to let me know it should be good now. And it WAS!!! When I called to make sure the pharmacist had been successful this time, he said, "That was all you. I know how long it can take to get these things worked out, and you did it really quick. Well done!" I told him it was raw determination! The threat of shingles is a great motivator!

But, oh man, our healthcare system needs The Doctor!!!

listener said...

Oops: "reauthorisation form" should read "PREauthorisation form"

It's kind of dumb that that call it PRE- when it's already AFTER the fact of when it was needed!! Ha!

whitznd said...

Thank you for all your good wishes. Seems my INT (blood coagulating time) was 4.7 WAYYYYYY too high. so they've post phoned the operation for two weeks. DANG! wanted this over and done with.

I take a blood thinner and I take calcium chews that have vitamin K in them. Seems with all the stuff going on with daughter here, I neglected to take my chews for the entire week. vit. K helps to thicken your blood, so if I'm not taking it, I also have to cut down on my Coumadin. but this hasn't come up in the past as I've been taking the calcium chews for years and years and never put it together with the vit. K. Oh well. lesson learned. Burt really did not want Kimberly to come up because of my procedure coming up and he just KNEW that something would happen. Boy howdy, was he right!

Anyway, will be at work all day today and half a day Friday. opposite of what I should be working, but I have a bunch of tests that need to be done on Friday so can work only a half day.

A joyous New Year to all of you however you decide to celebrate tonight.

XOXOXOXOXO

Pat said...

Thanks for the update, Barb. Hope that your situation improves quickly. As bodies, we're a lot more complicated that I ever knew!

Warmer today, a balmy 20 degrees.

And here's a poem that illustrates my frustration, was on the American Poetry Society's Poem A Day page.

Speaking Is
Cara Benson

A trapezoid. Piano keys fill soup bowls.
The moon wreaks havoc on the dandy
in a field of proclamations.

A chamber pot. Walk-in closet rife
with used jackhammers. I find a helmet
by the washer-dryer for my free

free-speech call. The power dips
during dinner, sends every clock protesting.
I am reminded I do not declare

enough. Not customs—accounting.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Awful! Back to books-- apparently Etsy is a good site for
vintage books. Brenda gave me an older edition of Tolkien's 'The Father Christmas Letters ' as well as two
titles on folk-song collecting in the fifties. Love to all!

puddle said...

Pat. I get that poem, but it's really *ugly*--in a way so so-called ugly poems like Howl weren't. I wonder if it's something she's actually after, or just what she can't see that does it?

Here's a gift that should make you happy (does me, anyways).



The Waking
By Theodore Roethke
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I have to go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.

Light takes the Tree; but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.

This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.

puddle said...

Barb, really thinking with you. I let myself get way too tired just before Christmas, and the boxing day soiree kicked me over. My a-fib (never diagnosed) kicked in, big time. Funny, it makes not a bit of difference that you know it's not going to kill you: that sense of not getting enough air, and the heart doing it's little Help me! I'm dying dance is just SO real when it's happening.

Mine's been going on, off and on, since 1998. It'll happen for weeks, and then just be gone for years. I don't think I can count on its just going away any more. The oils seem really to help--Omega3s, GammaEs, CoQ10. But it's pretty clear I don't have the luxury of taking them when I remember. . . . Also, I think I let my potassium get low. Putting them all back in, religiously, for the past couple of days, and I can feel the tide turning. Very very scary chit!

HugZ, hugZ, and more hugZ!!!

Shirlee Murphy said...

Scary, indeed Puddle. Once in a while my sodium level
will drop. The first thing my doc wants to do is stop my
supplements for a while. Always need to remind him we tried that once it didn't work and I felt horrible. Just need to up my sodium intake and it always comes back!
Take care all!!!

Pat said...

Yes, take care of yourselves. You are very knowledgeable about what works for you. That's the best.

Yes, thanks, Puddle. I love that poem. I confess I don't get the other one. It seems to me a depiction of how she feels about speaking (in public?) but so what, is my thought. And yes, it is ugly.

Oh well. Took Molly for a short walk. A friend who has just spent months recovering from knee surgery fell on her other knee. These bodies, sort of like old cars that need tuneups, replacements, and lots of loving care. We can do it.

puddle said...

Was thinking about the body as transportation last night. And that we only get one. Would we have taken better care of it when younger if we'd *really* understood there was no new body store? It helps me that I've always loved my old cars--treasured their quirks, been tickled at their antics. My body, not so much, lol! But it's served me pretty good as an attitude. My primary prayer has been: Let me keep my mind! So far, so good.

puddle said...

Pat, I think she likes words in her head. It's the out-loud thing she finds dicey. Big enough subject it might have taken. But I like more tune, less drum.

puddle said...

This is interesting: https://www.poetrysociety.org/psa/poetry/crossroads/red_white_blue_poets_on_politics/cara_benson/

When I was young, I adored a poet named LeRoi Jones. He became a poet named Amiri Baraka. He became a terrific activist. And a very bad poet. I think you can do both, but I honestly think you have to keep them separated. Poetry as a tool works very badly.

Pat said...

I've enjoyed this. Thanks, Puddle. I'll read the link carefully a little later. Right now, we're having a glass of champagne and listening to NPR.

Happy New year and a wonderful year ahead of all of us. With love to you.

Pat said...

Should be For all of us, not of all of us. A grin.

listener said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ONE AND ALL!

Barb! So sorry for your delay! Sounds like a good idea to wait, under the circumstances and I suppose it's good that folks are careful. May all be behind you soon.

Grand is here at Grammie & Grandad's overnight. Enroute she lost a tooth. Jackpot! :-D

My car is all fixed and home! Yayyy! And it cost $0 thanks to being under warranty.

Sweet dreams! ♥

whitznd said...

Sorry to hear you've had a bout of fib during the holidays, Puddle. Thanks for the advice on the oils. I do take them regularly. I have potassium in my daily multi.

Lots going on here. So good to see you all.

XOXOXOXO

listener said...

Thanks to Barb's note, I went back and read your post I'd missed, puddle. That sounds pretty scary. I'm glad the oils help. Would there be any other help if you were to get a diagnosis? Take life slow and enjoy the beauty of the new year. Love you. ♥

Shirlee Murphy said...

Good advice Listener,

especially as we get older.
My helper lady and her family have all had the flu
so Brenda was just here and carried away my laundry
to do at her house. Easier for her than using our laundry
room. She is a wonder, that girl!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

puddle said...

Not sure if an actual diagnosis would help. Watching Nancy go through the process a couple of years ago would steer me clear of trying if there's any way I can manage this without dealing with cardiologists, lol! Things I know for sure about my heart: right bundle branch blockage, and a mitral valve murmur. Neither of which keeps one from having major surgery. And one of the most important things to know about a-fib for me is to keep it from turning into a panic attack.

Nancy was scheduled to go in for an ablation, when she, reading on her own, and experimenting discovered it(hers) is an allergy caused by an additive used in chicken feed. She swore off of commercially raised chicken and eggs, and voila! it's gone.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

puddle has your doctor ever discussed the increased risk of strokes with a-fib? or that it is often caused by a high amount of calcium in the blood? hope it levels off soon! xo

Pat said...

Thinking of you as you talk about conditions, hoping you will be well, find the solutions needed.

I read the link, Puddle. It's honorable that poet Cara Benson conducts writing workshops in prisons. I admire that very much.

I've read that many poets have received awards, fellowships, have had books printed. I think there must be thousands of poets, a situation very different from the 30's through the 60's. When I was at the U. of Michigan, there was only one creative writing course I could take. Creative Writing wasn't a major, not even a minor at that time.

I think creativity is everywhere as is variety. The WWII babies, Baby Boomers, Generation X are about a third of this country. Creativity in technology, the arts, crafts, video is evident.

The superstars of yesteryear is a whole other ethos. I think of Shrilanka where when it is time for a festival people compose songs, poems, sculptures, ornaments, paintings, and flower arrangements. It's a given that everyone contributes creatively. That may be what is happening here. It would explain that fact that lots of poetry doesn't have much appeal for me, that it's an individual thing.

Well, still cold here, but the sky was a cobalt blue and full of light, just beautiful.

Take good care of yourselves.

puddle said...

Nope, but I read it. And I'm not taking calcium (which was high, so my doc recommended I quit, which I did). Also, am taking big dose, relatively, of vitamin K2 complex, from my fav cardiologist, Wm Davis, who promises that it pulls calcium from your blood and deposits it in your bones. I'm also going to assume that since my parathyroids were damaged during the thyroidectomy, and have been pulling calcium from my blood for three decades and tossing it into my bones, that there's not much calcium plaque bfloating around my blood stream. Plus I love cheese which has stupendous amounts of K2.

It has settled back to *my* normal. Like I said, I just need to understand that I don't have much wiggle left in how much room I have to play with my supplements. Like Shirlee said--there's a point at which it isn't any kind of game any more, it's necessary. I seem to have crossed that line.

And yes, if it ever got to the point I was having these more than quarterly, I'd let my doc point me towards a specialist. Like to keep that from happening. And also from falling into hyperventilating while it IS happening. . . .

And Shirlee, tell Brenda that I truly love her for honoring your wish to live on your own, and doing what needs to be done to make that happen!!

puddle said...

My mother used to describe my grandmother's raising/upbringing as being raised on a chair. It was because she had a heart murmur. My grandmother died at 86. . . . But she really never knew how to do anything, or help anyone, despite having 11 children. My second son was diagnosed with a heart murmur before he was two. *His* doctor said basically--Don't bother him about it. Let him play as he wishes. There's no evidence that it hurts. I wonder now if my mother wasn't told the same about me. It would explain a certain noticeable watchfulness I felt from her. I was nearly 60 before a doctor mentioned to me that I have a heart murmur. And he didn't seem to think it meant a thing.

When we were doing the pre-op heart stuff, I asked one of the techs where a bundle branch block would be (we had a heart on a screen) between us. She grinned and pointed. I said: You have that in your papers, eh? She laughed, and nodded. So I kinda figure if it's not scaring them, I'm not gonna let it scare me. My doc does check for crackles every time I go in, and I'm staying Krinkle-free, so. . . . For her, that's when to worry. BTW, stopping smoking for 6 months didn't make the krinkles go away. They went away after I'd restarted.

What I need/want/desire/dream of right now is losing weight. I'd hoped getting on the very low carb/anti-diabetes diet would do it. It has not. I'm stonewalled. I can't get too much lower calorie without putting myself into starvation response, which I truly have no desire to do.

puddle said...

NEW THREAD FOR A NEW YEAR!!