Saturday, July 23, 2016

for listener. . . .

Dumbledore's Army

70 comments:

puddle said...

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/21/12218136/donald-trump-nomination-afraid

Pat said...

Good Morning,

Yes, Ezra Klein says it clearly, explicitly. Trump is not just a bad candidate--he's a real danger to our country, to civilization, and it's incomprehensible to me that anyone could support him. Thank you for the article. A refusal to vote for Hillary is a vote for Trump, and we have to recognize this. It was Nader and his supporters who gave us George W. It could happen again.

puddle said...

As I was trying to fall asleep this morning (and failing) I was thinking about what should have been the first clue, a key to everything else about the man. THE HAIRCUT. The man is at least a millionaire. He hangs around with educated and rich people. And he looks absurd. Just outright, drunken/drugged absurd. And no one tells him. Why?

Anger. Explosive, abusive, outsized anger. People are afraid to tell him. He'll ruin your career, or really try to. He'll break you, or really try to. So people around him, who "need" him walk on eggshells. It's the only way to survive that personality type.

How much thinking does it take to figure out that this would be a walking noocleear disaster for the nation? For the Presidency? For us?

Pat said...

Hi again,

I think you and I in particular, Puddle, are feeling the danger Trump embodies. It's visceral.

I think those who are angry, disappointed, distrustful of Hillary might deal with this situation by thinking about voting for her as marching in protest against oppression, or passing bucket after bucket of water to put out a fire. It's maybe easier to think of a vote for Hillary against Trump as a way to preserve our representative democracy and make improvements as we go.

We watched Bill Maher last night and a general and another individual (can't remember his name) said they supported Trump, and all I can do is shake my head in incredulity.

listener said...

Awwww, thank you, puddle. ♥ ♡ ♥

I keep thinking the Repubs have nominated Gilderoy Lockhart!

puddle said...

I would have said Voldemort, alas. Thought the vain part fits like a pigskin glove.

Elsewhere someone pointed out that had Bill Clinton done this to Chelsea, there'd be congressional hearings:

http://images.dailykos.com/images/277727/large/trumpivanka.gif?1469317092

puddle said...

For several hundred years, small groups of people have been building their group houses. Bricks have been molded and carted to the sites. Some others slaked lime for the mortar. Children studied at their parents knee to learn to lay brick, to build a fire place that draws, cut down the pear orchard and mill the wood. Women wove and dyed to make the fabric for the curtains and table cloths. Privies were installed and equipped with running water because, well, humans do as humans does. Gaslights were removed, and electricity laid in. Because progress.

The menfolk went bear hunting for the upcoming party. BarBQ's lit, invitations issued, RSVPs responded to. Comes roaring down the road big bikes, with big bikers. Who stop at the houses, open the doors and tell the workers, that they are coming to this party, and please make sure there's enough toilet paper, eh?

And no one expects any of those worker bees to discuss it? To see if they can't distract the bikers, send them on down the road? Rather they're expected to make several more runs to Costco for toilet paper. Meanwhile, Vlad the bat whisperer sneaks into the house and makes recording of the upset workers talking to each other, and takes the tapes to the leaders of the bikers. (Actually, Vlad only bothers with the workers of the house with the blue shutters.)

And the bikers down the road stopped to have a tire fire and called to workers in the houses names because they, the workers, were upset. And said so.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Puddle.....wonderful!

NC is to be blessed with the DT presence today in Winston-Salem.
W-S and a whole surrounding swath of countryside is mostly
Moravian and Quaker. Not sure why he is going there?????
Stirring up these peaceful people.

Love to all.

puddle said...

DWS has resigned.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Hurrah!

puddle said...

When I was in grad school, the teacher of my first seminar (on Jane Austen) pointed out to me that I seemed incapable of writing a critical paper. I followed guidelines, kept notes, footnoted properly, but somehow failed. I just couldn't keep *me* out of the finished work. Note: he thought my work brilliant, just not what was requested. My second seminar (20th century critics--Forster), I repeated the experience with another teacher I revered. I got A's in both.

The lesson I learned was two-fold: first, I have blind spots that it is impossible for me to see or correct, and second, brilliant minds are more forgiving than mediocre ones (!, lol!). From then on, I made it a point to only take courses from the toughest, brightest, and most "unforgiving" peeps. Save for the C from my Bibliography and Methods" prof, my grades were all A's.

Since then, there have been many things I'm aware of not being able to see: the *charm* of Reagan or Big Dawg; the likeability of W; why Hill is so hated; and why anyone sees the Democratic party would be able to pull off a great voter suppression conspiracy. The party at the precinct level and a few levels above is pretty much chaired by local satraps who have been showing up for decades, doing the work, and getting zip credit. I'm sure mistakes are made, by both parties, but I'm not seeing any concerted nor coordinated effort to fix the vote.

The leaked emails only confirm my bias here: "Let's find someone to ask Bernie if he's an atheist" is the essence of a non-conspiracy.

I am distressed at watching people I love and know to have great souls and terrific minds kvetching at each other. It's as if the Huns are breaking down the door, and there's an argument about whether the fork goes to the left or right of the plate at the banquet.

listener said...

Fara Cat
10 June

‪#‎StillSanders‬

This time it's different.

When Dubya Bush was elected, the rest of the World thought the American people had been foolish. When he was re-elected, we thought you had lost your minds entirely. The rise of Trump made us wonder once again what was wrong with you.

But then came Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton. Even from across the great oceans, we saw you being robbed of democracy. For the first time, we realised it's not your fault. This isn't what you wanted.
We watched Bernie Sanders ignite the spirit of millions of people, and we watched Hillary Clinton perverting the democratic process. We saw your voices (and donations) speak up against the establishment, and we watched as the establishment fortified themselves against you.

The rest of the World would surely feel the sting from a Clinton or a Trump, and the free World from Finland to Fiji was hoping for a President Sanders. Those that supported and donated didn't just represent themselves, didn't just represent Sanders, but represented the wider tribe of humanity globally. You fought for all of us, the life outside of the USA is still affected by your president, and even though things are the way they are now, you did us proud.

We don't blame you for Hillary, we thank you for standing up for Bernie. Please keep standing up.
- Bernie fan from Japan

puddle said...

This is from Booman, and echoes what Free Spirit used to say about DFA:

I doubt there are more than a half a dozen people at DFA who will fail to vote for Clinton, but they can't take a single action without being judged on how many new members or donations that action produces. The perverse incentives make committed, idealistic, and genuinely good people do really stupid and insulting things. I know, I worked in that world for a year, and it was depressing to have everything we tried to do fed through a potential-for-outrage metric.

listener said...

Well, puddle, I may be that I have a mediocre mind. For me this is doubly personal. Bernie is my trusted Senator, and I am an election official. In a normal election, there can be as much as 6% voting irregularities. Here in Vermont's primary we had 3%. But there were too many states in this election cycle that had 17% or higher. That in itself is evidence of something dishonest afoot. And it was on the Democratic side, not the Republican. Besides, there is no way my town clerk would change the polling place at the last minute or drop a location, particularly in a Presidential Election year. She would always let a citizen vote and work out any concerns. We always give the benefit of the doubt if someone isn't on the list. There's a simple form to fill out for any unusual circumstance. This isn't rocket science. And Bill Clinton schmoozing inside polling places (necessitating blocking off the parking lot for several hours during prime voting time!!) is about as blatant as you can get for voting disruption. This stuff wasn't just error, it was deliberate. The emails are not to be brushed aside, in by view, because there were 20,000 of them, representing a decided lack of neutrality. As an election official and a citizen, I'm madder than whacked hornet!! The Dems do not get a pass on this. This is much bigger than where the utensils got placed. This is a deliberate thwarting of our right to vote. We don't really know how the primary would have gone had these things not taken place. But given the crowds Bernie attracted, I believe he would be the nominee. Were he the nominee, the election would be a shoe-in.

listener said...

But I definitely hear you about all the swiping people are doing at each other. I asked a simple question on my FB page and the thread kept sidelining into rants about Hillary. I had to keep pulling it back to the original question, which was "How is this (the evidence of voter suppression) supposed to make me feel?" It's okay to be angry. It's okay to be deeply sad. It's not okay to be mean. I love this blog because even when we disagree, we all wish each other the very best! ♥

Pat said...

Morning, Folks.

There's no doubt that elections inflame the emotions. I'm wondering if that's not a destructive thing. These are just people. If we were interviewing them for a job, if we looked at them as our bosses, if we looked at them as neighbors, would we be more critical, more objective?

Remembering my grief over Howard Dean's treatment by the media, by the DNC, I don't want to fall in love with a candidate. They are just people with the annoying personality quirks, rigidities, biases, and faults any human has. As for Bernie, yes, I liked him best, agree with most of his positions, but is he the savior of this country? No. I don't like Hillary, but she's made of iron, has served many years so does know government. I thought she was most appealing on NPR this morning when she said her hair was real, but the color wasn't, in response to a Trump comment about hair. If instead of ranting, she can make us laugh, that will help.

These are public servants with huge egos and ambitions, but with talents we need. We don't need adulation, don't need to believe they can solve all or even many of the problems of an over populated planet, ongoing wars, terrorism, complex economics, greed, an earth that is in need of healing from all the exploitation, resource extractions, extinctions, polluted air, soil, and water. We need hard work, the best thinking available, ethics, and a commitment to the common good and planet earth and its denizens.

Thanks, Bernie. I'm happy for your commitments, your energy and efforts, and some of the changes you've already been able to make in the platform and in the public consciousness. Thanks, Hillary for all your service. I'm sorry that you have been part of the problems of the system, and I hope that you can be a corrective for us in the future.

And so we go on.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Just right, Pat! Thank you.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Just right, Pat! Thank you.

Pat said...

Thanks, Shirley. A smile here.
Pat

listener said...

I couldn't watch the Republican Convention but I am watching the Democratic Convention.

The Dems are holding up "Love trumps hate" signs. I can't help thinking they really ought to have chosen a different verb. (Why all that free advertising?) But let Love win. Love.



"There are all kinds of courage," said Dumbledore, smiling. "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. ~ J.K. Rowling

listener said...

I am bracing myself for hearing Bernie Sanders stand up to his friends tonight.


listener said...

LOVE TRANSCENDS HATE

( ^ No free advertising here. Ha!)

listener said...

Pretty words at the Convention, indeed. It is a far more upbeat message than the Republicans offered.

If only it didn't ring so hollow.

listener said...

Bernie is expected to speak in the 10pm ET / 7pm PT hour, between Elizabeth Warren and Michelle Obama.

listener said...

The best speech of the Convention so far, was the first speech, given by 39 year old Diane Russell of Portland, Maine, a strong Bernie supporter and member of the Maine House of Representatives. She is the person who offered the first amendment, regarding superdelegates. The committee that worked to change the superdelegate rules going forward has reduced the number of superdelegates by two-thirds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMIvp5hVV_A

puddle, this article, from her hometown paper, speaks well to what she said:
http://www.pressherald.com/2016/07/25/rep-russell-takes-center-stage-at-democratic-national-convention/

Pat said...

Wow! Most diverse convention in history, Al Franken, Sarah Silverman, Paul Simon, gay, lesbian, alcoholic, addicted,frank honest, open, inclusive. WOW!

Pat said...

Cory Booker, Elizabeth Warren, Michelle Obama, Bernie Sanders, well done, superlative. Hope, principles, generosity, compassion, efforts, recognition of the good, yes, this is well done. I'm feeling hope again, optimism, unity, pride in our diversity, civility, friendship. What a contrast with the darkness, meanness,fear, hostility, and division of the Republican convention.

And yes, thank you, Bernie. You are a true patriot, honest, committed, fair, and able to work for a movement that unites us all and works toward a future that will be better than what we have now. Thank you.

puddle said...

Poor puppy--stays out about four minutes when I let him out on waking. More late at night. He looks awful: his coat is falling out as fast as it can.

Pat said...

Let's hope that Bernie supporters won't emulate the Tea Party in obstruction, resentment, and hostility. Please, please, I say to myself, let pragmatism, optimism, and efforts to improve, correct, and initiate a vision guide us to a better system of governance.

Have a good day, friends.

whitznd said...

Bernie's speech was electrifying. The audience loved him. over 3 minutes standing ovation when he came out. Lots of people weeping unabashedly (myself included). Hillary supporters stone faced holding their signs.

Apparently, having the last speech is a position of honor. Of course, the media focused on 3 supporters that are not, at this time, ready for Hillary. Don't talk to the ones that are. NO! Make out like Bernie people are jerks that will ensure a Trump presidency. GRRRRRRRRRRR

I loved his message of moving forward with the revolution. Or, as I post on FB a lot, DOWN TICKET! DOWN TICKET! DOWN TICKET! DOWN TICKET! DOWN TICKET! DOWN TICKET! Hoping that folks will get the idea.

much love to you lovely ladies

puddle said...

Lol! Complaint today from the righty blogs was that there were no flags at the Dem Convention. Over and against the fact that last week I kept wondering (as I have for decades) at the rePublican belief that they OWN the flag. . . .

Pat said...

On Facebook, someone posted a photo of an American flag at the convention. Ah well.

puddle said...

Chief among these were false allegations of election tampering and fraud in places like Arizona, Brooklyn, Kentucky, California and Puerto Rico. That these things did not happen in a way that would have favored Clinton did not prevent the memes from spreading like wildfire, turning hoards of well-meaning Bernie fans into outraged lifetime opponents of Clinton.

http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2016/7/26/1129/94621

listener said...

I am quite unsettled by all that has taken place over the past months, but especially this past week and day. [Sarah Silverman was wayyy out of line!] But I think I know why Bernie did what he did. I think he saw this coming long before we did because he saw the corruption moment by moment. He is two or three chess moves ahead of the rest of us. His choices are: (1) to fight against the tide and run third party or (2.) to work to get the Dem Party in power. Why, you ask, would he do the latter? Well, if the Dems are in office, Bernie will have more power in the Senate than if the Republicans are in. Bernie will have more power to help the new Berniecrat Congress members pass progressive legislation. And having gotten the Dems to accept his progressive ideas into their platform, it will be easier to hold their feet to the fire. Of course, if he were to run third party, he just might win. But given that the Dems would throw everything at him to stop him, he just might not, too. Worth the risk? Maybe. Maybe not. But the bottom line is that Bernie ran as a Dem because he didn't want to be seen as a spoiler. In fact, he said that he would back the nominee, and he is a man of his word. Of course, when he said that, he had no idear how powerful his campaign would prove! I wonder if he regrets saying it so early in the campaign. He did it to be honourable, which he remained, despite the fact that the DNC was not.

Tonight he did something unbelievably difficult and really pretty brave. But I think the underlying reason is that he is looking beyond this election and even beyond the coming Administration, to the basic health of our nation, which can only come about by making sure the Berniecrats coming into office are able to get legislation passed. Congress has been mired for too long!! Zephyr Teachout recently reported that new Congress members are actually told they need to spend 4-5 hours per day fund-raising for their campaigns and 2-3 hours serving the people..!!! Not much can happen until we have campaign finance reform. Etc. etc.. If Bernie cannot be the nominee, he is determined to give power and leverage to the Berniecrats coming into office this year and in two years' time. If he were fighting the Dems, they would fight Berniecrats all the more.

But, in the words of Maria Rainer Rilke: "You see, I want it all." I want Bernie now more than ever!
Several hundred Bernie delegates walked out of the Convention after the nomination was made official. My heart goes out to them. The Dems HAVE TO acknowledge that you can't lie and cheat and suffer NO consequences. We lost the race, but we haven't lost all the battles and we haven't lost the long term outcome. Bernie took the high road, fell on his sword in our best interest and showed by example how a REAL statesman behaves.

Mind you. I still plan to vote for him. But I'm not planning to fuss about it any more.

a href=https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/democratic-national-convention-supporters-hope-to-reintroduce-clinton-to-skeptical-voters/2016/07/26/6e8d244a-52ec-11e6-88eb-7dda4e2f2aec_story.html

listener said...

OOPS! Make that Rainer Marie Rilke. (But you knew that.)

listener said...

Where do we go from here? HERE:
http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/07/15/our-revolution-whats-next-bernie-sanders-horizon

listener said...

Perspective: I just learned that my dear friend and peer, who was my spiritual guide for 14 years, until March, is now in Hospice.

puddle said...

Oh, listener!! I'm so sorry! ♥

Pat said...

Good Morning,

A thoughtful piece, Listener, thank you.

I was struck by how many women spoke, were visible last night at the convention. I would guess that at least half the delegates were women. Also, how much our generation and those following have achieved! Strong women, educated women, confident women, women who have worked, experienced a great variety of vocations, avocations, life, family, friendships, government, travel. Compared to generations before ours, we have been given unprecedented opportunities, resources, education, and status.

When I finished my first year at U. of M. in Ann Arbor, Michigan, my family had gone bankrupt, lost our home, divorce, no support whatsoever; yet, I was able to get a college education. There were resources available to me, and from some, at least, an effort to support and encourage me and others like me. Thank you.

Women have come forth in power, status, confidence, leadership unlike anything we've seen in our history. Congratulations. Also, the diversity of the convention was stunning, a visible achievement of equality.

And, Howard Dean spoke. I thought of how much he had given from being a governor, to running as a candidate for the presidency, to Chairman of the Democratic Party whose 50 state strategy was a significant factor in the election of Barack Obama. Thank you Howard. He was funny, ending his speech with his scream of states, Colorado, Minnesota, etc. He laughed as he walked off the stage. He is someone I am grateful for and still admire.

Last night I will remember. It was unlike any convention I've seen.

Pat said...

I was glad to hear of Hillary's accomplishments, wondered how so much negativity had accumulated in the past 30 years, was it the Republican persecution that continues? There's no doubt she doesn't have the amiable personality of Bill, and she comes off as acerbic, ambiguous, prevaricating; still, she has given her life to improving the lives of children, the handicapped, minorities, and the general public. That's admirable.

But, she is driven, has been, and sometimes I think this makes people uncomfortable. Also, there are mistakes that any public figure will make. Can she project her principles and efforts enough to defeat Trump? I hope so.

There was a discussion between Chris Hedges and Robert Reich on Facebook this morning. I pulled this excerpt,Reich speaking:

"Now, we can—but in order to do that, we cannot have—and, you know, I think that Hillary will be a good president, if not a great president. This is not just trucking in fear, Chris. But I do fear Donald Trump. I fear the polls that I saw yesterday. Now, polls, again, this early in a campaign still—we’re still months away from the election, but they are indicative. They show Donald Trump doing exceedingly well, beating Hillary Clinton. And right now, given our two-party system, given our winner-take-all system with regard to the Electoral College, it’s just too much of a risk to go and to say, "Well, I’m going to vote—I’m not going to vote for the lesser of two evils, I’m going to vote exactly what I want to do." Well, anybody can do that, obviously. This is a free country. You vote what you—you vote your conscience. You have to do that. I’m just saying that your conscience needs to be aware that if you do not support Hillary Clinton, you are increasing the odds of a true, clear and present danger to the United States, a menace to the United States. And you’re increasing the possibility that there will not be a progressive movement, there will not be anything we believe in in the future, because the United States will really be changed for the worse."

Shirlee Murphy said...

Condolences Listener...for the death of your spiritual guide. Thinking of you.

Watching the educated, intelligent women speaking at the convention ....I think
we had a triumvirate attack/rebuttal to old Donald. Michelle, Elizabeth and Hillary!
This may be what the men feared all those years when they fought against education
for women. HA!

High 90's today here in GSO....and I am so lucky to find a therapist who comes to
my apartment weekly rather than needing to go out. Working on a cranky neck...the
remains of the last surgery..

Happy day all.

puddle said...

I am so freaking tired of this heat! Jeepers, it's only July. Poor puppy just lives in a stupor/torpor.

My lens cleaner came and didn't work. Or maybe it worked but that's not what was wrong. New DVD player on the way. Went for cheap this time since expensive didn't work. Took three hours of inserting to get this one to accept the disc. AM enjoying Rome.

Trump telling Putin that it would be good to hack Hill's emails. Which he insists are state secrets. Gosh. This man gets security briefings.

Pat said...

Out of the Park: Just outstanding tonight: Joe Biden, Barack Obama, Tim Kaine, and more. Well done. Also, an intriguing musical collage of a variety of people. I am hopeful.

Night friends.

puddle said...

Small joy here. Disregarding techie son's methodology, hooked up the expensive and never working DVD player to the USB port on the front of the computer, and in about 10 seconds, it was working. Perfectly. So much for techies, lol! Glad I didn't throw it in the river, as I was very tempted to do.

listener said...

Bernie is incredibly wise and strong, and makes breathtakingly good decisions. That is what is keeping me calm right now. I find two things give me great hope for the future. First, I am enheartened by the yuge wave of young people who are intelligently engaging the political process now. Second, I am inspired by Bernie's vision through Our Revolution and Brand New Congress. I guess I'll keep working at the polls after all.

Mind you, none of that reconciles me to the shenanigans that went on in this election cycle! Bernie's honesty and grace is such a stark and amazing counterpoint.

I wasn't up to watching the convention tonight.

Y'know, I think that my deepest sense of disappointment is that we aren't going to see needed change in my lifetime…though with Bernie we really could have. His grace to keep on keeping on, and with such focus and caring, inspires me to put one foot in front of the other. I feel now that we older folks are hereby passing the baton to the younger generation, who will be in power within 20 years. Change will indeed take place.

listener said...

Thanks for the kind words regarding my friend. <3

He is in Hospice care. As far as I know, he has not died. Our mutual clergy friend thought it could be soon. But I think she meant sometime in the coming month or so. Not sure. Still.

listener said...

<3 = ♥

listener said...

I stand corrected. Frank died this evening. :-(

While I grieve the loss of Frank in this life, I know his wisdom and humour abide with me, and am grateful that he did not have to endure a long, slow deterioration with Alzheimer’s. He really didn't want that, having seen his sisters and their families go through it. But so much has shifted with his passing. So much.

What a tough week this has become.

Pat said...

I'm sorry to hear of your dear friend's death. I think those we love are in our hearts forever. But, the loss is still felt.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Pat..what a perfect phrase....describing our losses of people we love.
Thank you.

whitznd said...

Condolences Listener ♥ ♥

listener said...

Thanks for the kind words. ♥

listener said...

Frank had a heart attack on the 16th, and last evening he died. Apparently between his diabetes and his recent diagnosis of Alzheimer's he chose not to have treatment. For that reason I am relieved for him that he and his loved ones did not have to endure what they endured through his two sisters' long, slow decline with Alzheimer's. His passing is still a great loss in my heart. ♥ You all would have loved Frank. He was to turn 82 next month, and just a few years ago he was still being arrested for non-violent protest against nukes. A member of the clergy (UCC), a psychologist, and a bee keeper, Frank had a wonderful sense of humour. Having gone bald early in life, he wore a jaunty cap and wire rimmed glasses. With his white mustache, he looked a little like a sea captain. :-) I will miss his soft chuckle so much.

listener said...

Just now, on NPR, on the Convention floor, they interviewed the man in charge of about 2/3 of the Bernie Delegates. He said that the delegates in swing states say they will vote for Hillary, so that Trump cannot win. BUT! They plan to hold her feet to the fire on the issues every day. He said that should Clinton win she should know that there will be NO honeymoon period, as they will hod her feet to the fire on everything from Wall street to Waging War. That was good to hear,..that there is a plan among the delegates to watchdog her presidency, should it happen.

listener said...

hod = hold

puddle said...

listener, so hard to lose those who have touched our hearts, our souls. Still, it sounds like he pretty much got to do it his way, so rejoice for him. So glad you had so much good time with him.

Listened to a good chunk of Hill's speech tonight. Seemed marvelously adequate. Which is both her and Bill's MO. Sad that we're not getting more. But given that the electorate thinks its job is to vote every four years, guess it could be predicted.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Hillary sure seems to have chosen a VP who connects
with people . Loved his speech!

We are in for another two weeks ..at least of mid 90 temps
during the day!!! According to the Weather Channel.

Take care all.

listener said...

This is the best Afterword I've read!

Jane Sanders, interviewed this week by Rolling Stone
"Why Bernie Voters Shouldn't Get Over It"
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/jane-sanders-why-bernie-voters-shouldnt-get-over-it-w431428

listener said...

puddle, you have no idear what a balm it has been for me, in this week of weeks, to come here and see "for listener" at the top of the page. It surprises me every time…that someone thought to do something kind for me. I've needed it more than you could have known, and at least as much as you, in your honed wisdom, suspected. ♥

listener said...

New phrase I've been using lately:

"Yuge Idear"

:-D

Shirlee Murphy said...

Listener, thanks so much for the article interviewing Jane Sanders.
There did not seem to be much reporting on her ..other than a few
photos where she is in the background. I had wondered about her...
she does seem to be his best advisor.

Take care of yourself, now now!

whitznd said...

What an amazing woman Jane is. I loved that article. Thank you!

puddle said...

Whew! Power's been out since three, original fix time was six, then eight. Made it up at 8:30. Got an amazing amount of meditation done, as well as boring sundries like taking garbage out, bringing in water, washing hair, and the like. Because of luck, the weather was gorgeous today, low seventies, so didn't miss the AC at all.

listener, thanks for the thanks, and am glad it worked even better than expected. . . .

One of the thoughts that passed me today during the long down time, was LBJ and what a truly awful man he was, and what a remarkably good president.

Shirlee Murphy said...

PUddle---Perhaps you know there is a. new Harry Potter book just out?
Scuppernong books down the street has been celebrating in advance
and this week-end are having a party. I think the title is Harry Potter
and the Cursed Child. They have a nice children's collection and
every Saturday there is a story hour.

Raising them in the way they should go/ courting new customers!

Happy Saturday Eve all.

listener said...

BIll Maher interviewed Bernie on Friday. Bernie was on from Burlington, so apparently he and Jane slipped home quietly sometime Thursday night or Friday morning. Here's the interview, which is very worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHCe7Muy7MU&feature=youtu.be

listener said...

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child comes out TODAY (7/31)~!! One can get it delivered as an ebook in less than ten minutes, today! The book will be mailed and will arrive later this week. I know this because I have a copy coming, and am giving the ebook version to our granddaughter as an early birthday gift. :-) As i understand it, the book is a little over 300pp long and is about the characters after they have grown up.

puddle said...

Laughing at Amazon always advertising what I've just bought. Purpose? Beats me, lol!

Rome second time through--fun watching Mr Collins, P&P95, turn into a nuanced and believable Cicero; Same for Twister of Lark Rise --> Cato. Kevin McKidd makes a journey less far--Soldier/Doctor on Grey's Anatomy from Soldier of Rome. Not so much swordplay in today's politics, otherwise, not much has changed.

My Dad gave me $20 to read Caesar and Christ when I was 13--best twenty bucks I ever earned!

puddle said...

Forgot Marcus Agrippa morphed into Tom Branson.

puddle said...

New thread!! (And biggol thunder storm outside, so if I disappear again, don't send Sheriff Chuck.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Listener, thanks so much for the article interviewing Jane Sanders.
There did not seem to be much reporting on her ..other than a few
photos where she is in the background. I had wondered about her...
she does seem to be his best advisor.

Take care of yourself, now now!