Good Morning, I hope your day is pleasant, sunny, relaxing.
We've had on and off rain showers, some hail. Weird May weather. I'm reading Elizabeth Strout's "Anything Can Happen" a series of linked short stories that continue from her novel, My Name is Lucy Barton. What a writer she is! I'd compare her to Anne Tyler. She's right there, brings the reader into her world, and the characters are complex, recognizable, and with the emotions and experiences, we relate to them. Just outstanding.
I continue on with downsizing. Fifty years worth! If I'd known, I wouldn't have been so collecting, but I've certainly enjoyed my life. It does seem that life moves faster, or maybe getting older, I think more slowly. How different the stages of our life are.
Again, glad to be here with you and to hear of your activities, families, and thoughts.
Alan on the HEP blog suggested sending a Thank-you to Angela Merkel. I love that idear! Here's the address:
Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany 4645 Reservoir Rd NW, Washington, DC 20007
He also suggested one for Macron, though if it's just for his handshake, that seems excessive. But Merkel has been such a tower of strength and wisdom in the world, and that's so needed!
Wow. Moving in the midst of a Severe Thunderstorm Watch is interesting! We went with the rental truck to Son's two storage facilities and picked up his stuff. Stopped briefly at our house, but got moving pretty fast when we heard a rumble of thunder from the west! Son and I (Bill had to work) zoomed east to Son's new house, and got the couches off the truck first. Unloaded to the house (including one very pesky futon frame that gave a hassle getting it through a tight hallway area; but with enough geometrics we did it! Ha! Then I unloaded my car while he swept out the truck. Just as he shut the big door on the back of the truck we had the first loud clap of thunder overhead!! It really matters to check the radar on a day like this!! Whoo hoo! VICTORY!!! So then we sat on his new super-comfy couch and rested for about a half hour before I headed home. And guess what. The sun came out and that was that! No hail...which was a VERY good thing!! 😀🌻
Congratulations on the big and successful move, Listener! We are looking forward o having Rhiannon Giddens (local girl made good) in town next week. She is on tour with her band and new cd 'Freedom Highway'.....slave narratives turned to music and in her voice with her banjo --which is a replica of a 19th century instrument played by slaves. Tickets are another Mother's Day gift from Brenda.
Well, my "June First" day went rather catawumpus. I had an eye doc appt, after which I would have my snow tires changed over to Summer tires and get a software update for my car. After that I was to go on to setting up our new composter. Whoo. So exciting. Well... It turns out I kind of need a new eyeglass prescription. Then I was sitting waiting for my car to be ready, with my eyes so dilated I had to wear sunglasses indoors, and they found a huge mouse nest in my engine, but fortunately no wires were chewed!
Later I got the yard area ready for the composter, but still need to set up the new one.
Apparently, I suck at planning a personal holiday! 😜
Oh! But I did buy a red-lined black and white checkerboard tote because it matches my Mini and I am always having to fish around for a good size bag. So the day was not a complete loss. LOL!
listener, your celebration day sounds lovely! Now you can see, the mice have been rehomed without damage to you or yours, you're up to date, and have a fine new checkerboard bag!
The thought has occurred to me that der turnip is here for the purpose of shepherding us from super-power to ordinary citizenship amongst the world's nations. I've thought, off and on, in my lifetime about the subject. Once sitting in a small cafe in Greece, set in a field of 3,000 year old ruins, I noted that life goes on. . . . And given that I adored Greeks, went on very well indeed. A bit later, had, in China, that conversation with a Brit student, whose parents had lived with it post WWI. Italy, Portugal, Spain all survived. Even the Soviet Union seems to have, sort of. Wonder if we'll manage it with the Grace of Great Brittan, or the ugliness of the Russians?
I'm saying this because I'm beginning to hear the musings from Europe about our uselessness since der turnip's trip there. . . .
T. Did his best to make himself and his country look like fools.
Meanwhile at the bookstore today I met George Lakey..a Quaker author...who was about to hold a session in the back of the store. Our bookstore has books, scrumptious food and an open space at the back for formal or informal talks. Perfect hangout place!
Had to find solace someplace.....learned that an old friend just died ..we met when we were nine ....died a few days ago. She had not been very well for a few years....but always cheerful. Remembrances to go to an Herb Study Group. She always wanted to be a farmer...but there we were living in a very new suburb of Dearborn, MI. Life goes on .....stay well all.
I'm sorry about your friend. Life is complex, seems to have its own directions, but the gift of having a friend that stayed a friend for life is special.
Your bookstore sounds delightful, perfect: open space, good food, a place for conversation and talks, and good books. I wish we had that here. Our independent stores seemed to have closed.
So tired of Trump and right wing zealots. I hopeful their awfulness will reinvigorate our democracy, revitalize our values and participation. It's life or death for our democracy, I think.
Beautiful day here, warm, sunny, wildflowers everywhere.
Thank you, Pat.....one would think as we got older it would not be such a surprise to lose a dear one....but that does seem to be the way it is. Cherish those we have left...and continue to make new friends.
I wish that you could visit our bookstore...guarantee you would love it. I feel very lucky to be just across the street and half a block away.
Puddle, thanks for the link to Dear Leader's atrocious actions. I hope Mueller tears him apart.....on Russia...and whatever else turns up.
Ah, Shirlee, I join in sending you condolences at the loss of such a long time friend. ❤️ Nothing makes that come 'round right...except to keep on loving them.
Oh that we could all meet up at Shirlee's bookstore!!
If we ever have to create a new blog, we'll have to name it "Shirlee's Bookstore: Where people of good heart gather to blog"
Pat! I'm so happy that you got a beautiful day with Wildflowers! It reminds me of the cross-stitch I did for Bill's sister when she got married. It was done with embroidered flowers too, all done on yellow gingham cloth, and read:
🌷🌾Wishing you Butterfly Mornings and Wildflower Afternoons 🌿🌻
I have wanted to be the owner/operator of a bookstore called The Great Virtue Sitting Parlor and Greasy Spoon for a long long time. Chili and coffee are free.
Oh Puddle, this brings me to tears. It's so true, so exquisitely said, just beautiful, beautiful. Thank you.
Yesterday afternoon on my walk with Molly I met a bear walking down our road. Luckily, our confrontation was polite, discerning, and about 100 yards apart. This is what I sent to our Storm Mountain Yahoo network: Good Morning,
Yesterday afternoon about 3 PM, I was walking on Green Ridge, back to my house from the cul de sac, and about 100 yards west, almost in front of my house, I saw a bear, a juvenile, probably a couple of hundred pounds, walking down the road. I stopped, looked at him, (Oh Darn and other expletives) and waited. He waited as well. After a few minutes, he turned and ran off into the woods, north. I was definitely relieved, but I think it's important to be aware that the bears are out walking just like we are. It was a polite confrontation, and there was a sense that neither of us wanted it to be otherwise. Be careful out there.
Utterly beautiful poem, puddle, sent right down deep into the heart of the soul.
You did well, Pat, to not advance or retreat, but just to wait. Both of you did very well.
Black bears usually don't want trouble. Just don't come between Mama and cubs. And don't carry food when you walk.
The general wisdom is that if there is a bear in your yard, you make a heap of noise by banging pans or whatnot and they saunter off. But to tell you the truth, I've never had a desire to use that method. For one thing, what if it made the bear feel threatened enough to attack (at least attack your house or porch screens)? For another, what if it simply rattled a bear who ran off upset then happened upon someone out walking?
That said, the time in college that our (now PhD) son took a group of college Freshman camping in the Adirondack Mountains, a big black bear came into camp nosing about for their food. Son banged pans and scared it off, while the Frosh watched in amazement. He says they never failed to do anything he asked after that. LOL!
“Pity the nation whose people are sheep, and whose shepherds mislead them. Pity the nation whose leaders are liars, whose sages are silenced, and whose bigots haunt the airwaves. Pity the nation that raises not its voice, except to praise conquerors and acclaim the bully as hero and aims to rule the world with force and by torture. Pity the nation that knows no other language but its own and no other culture but its own. Pity the nation whose breath is money and sleeps the sleep of the too well fed. Pity the nation — oh, pity the people who allow their rights to erode and their freedoms to be washed away. My country, tears of thee, sweet land of liberty.” ― Lawrence Ferlinghetti
So, here's what I sent to Chancellor Angela Merkel:
Dear Chancellor Merkel,
Gross Gott!
I am writing from Vermont in the United States to thank you for your leadership on Climate Change. Today, Vermont joined the Climate Alliance. This may not be too surprising, given that Vermont is home to Senators Patrick Leahy and Bernie Sanders, and Representative Peter Welch, all of whom stand with the Paris Accord. However, it is good to note that the Climate Alliance is also supported by Vermont’s Republican Governor Phil Scott. Vermont leads the United States per capita in renewable energy.
Your words to Americans, having noted our good will and the good will of so many of our nation’s businesses, was received as relief and encouragement. United States citizens, coming together in support of the Paris Accord, are eager to move forward with you. Your wise and kindred leadership is much appreciated.
"Right now this is a president behaving extraordinarily badly. But if it becomes clear that the president is trying to obstruct justice and Congress does nothing, that moves us towards a constitutional crisis. If Congress cannot fulfil its role as a check on the president, that's a real problem." ~ Pamela Karlan, Stanford Law School professor http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39902108
Did you all watch the Comey testimony? I thought he did remarkably well. I appreciated that he called DT a liar under oath. And I hope he doesn't come to harm for having leaked the info to the NYTimes. He wanted to make sure the world found out what happened. Between DT first saying he fired Comey because the FBI is a mess and has no good leadership, then telling the reporter it was about Russia and he wanted the pressure off, then adding that taunting tweet about "He better hope there aren't any tapes" Comey woke up in the middle of the night and realised tapes would be great, because tapes would prove him (Comey) right. So he sent the notes of his meetings with DT to the NYTimes through a professor friend at Columbia U. I hope he comes out as a hero for that. At any rate, when one of the Senators (a R?) asked why they should believe his word against the President's word, Comey responded with the ways investigators can tell. The chief way is that one looks at the WHOLE of what an individual has said and done and sees whose word is the more credible. At one point, near the end, I think it was Burr who declared that Comey had today shown himself to be truthful, or something of that ilk. I suuuuure wish I knew what was spoken in the closed door questioning afterwards!
Well, dear friends, I'm leaving in the morning for Retreat! I'll be away though Sunday, and am very much looking forward to having some quiet.
ALONE by Carly Simon
My goin' has nothing to do with you I'm planning a trip all alone And all I want is a room with a view Where the sight of the sunset full blown Makes me ache with feeling alone.
And I'll think about you there If I do some thinkin' And I'll care about you there As it's love I've know It's not to leave you that I'm goin' I'm just goin' to be alone
It seems that I'm hearing those noises again The voices, once small, now have grown. Flashbacks keep sending me way back to when The sounds of the waves on the stones Make me ache with feelin' alone
And I'll think about you there If I do some thinkin' And I'll care about you there As it's love I've know It's not to leave you that I'm goin' I'm just goin' to be alone
Martin is WONDERFUL! He was superior of the monks in Cambridge, MA (Society of St. John the Evangelist, Episcopal Cowley Brothers) for 9 years before leaving the monastery and continuing his ministry as a priest in DC. When I chaired the Diocesan Spiritual Direction Committee here, he came up and did a retreat for us. I've also been to a previous retreat with him at Adelynrood. ALWAYS he has something fresh to offer, some deep, well-honed, thoughtful reflection, some wisdom that rings utterly true and leads one to something vital inside. I am so crispy and ready for an ALL STOP...!!!
Thank you, Listener, for "Alone", for sharing your Retreat, your letter to Chancellor Merkel, and your love and attention.
Hot, hot, windy day here, but because of our two foot snowfall in May, the wildflowers are exuberant.
I barely listen to the news anymore. It's so repetitious, so pared down, so negative. After about a half hour, I've had enough. How do we get the big picture back, the values, the ethics, the respect, the recognition of complexity? And when will we stop wasting money on wars? Oh well, you can see why I'm discouraged with the news.
I don't know what will come of the Comey testimony with all the polarization. I have hope that somehow the pragmatism of the American people will will return, make itself felt. It's tough being a human critter. Hello to all.
I arrived home from Retreat last evening. It was deep and useful, hopeful and challenging...and a question I have had for 21 years was responded to. So glad I went!
CDs of the Retreat "Becoming a Godsend" will be available as of next month at: www.Adelynrood.org/
Pretty much hot and muggy in GSO this week ".some rain. Local bookstore owner delivered two books I had ordered... Inckuding one edited by Christopher Tolkien..... 'Beren and Luthien.' Story of a mortal man and an elf maiden. Lovely bookmaking also. Not sure how I got so lucky as to spend my late retirement years within walking distance of two live theaters and an independent book store!
I watch some Trump evil doings...but not too much....sleepless nights ensue. My one wish now is that he is out of our life before I die!
57 comments:
Today is Memorial Day.
Oh, that we could keep from war.
So, I changed my profile pic. We'll see when it shows up.
Testing...
Ah, there I am. LOL!
Good Morning,
I hope your day is pleasant, sunny, relaxing.
We've had on and off rain showers, some hail. Weird May weather. I'm reading Elizabeth Strout's "Anything Can Happen" a series of linked short stories that continue from her novel, My Name is Lucy Barton. What a writer she is! I'd compare her to Anne Tyler. She's right there, brings the reader into her world, and the characters are complex, recognizable, and with the emotions and experiences, we relate to them. Just outstanding.
I continue on with downsizing. Fifty years worth! If I'd known, I wouldn't have been so collecting, but I've certainly enjoyed my life. It does seem that life moves faster, or maybe getting older, I think more slowly. How different the stages of our life are.
Again, glad to be here with you and to hear of your activities, families, and thoughts.
Pat.....I so agree with your comment about the stages of our life.
I would not give up the memories of any ...even the painful ones.
Thanks for the new thread, Puddle. When we get one almost full
I begin to wonder what you will do for the next one...and always
love them.
Love to all......
Boyz gone--left at last light yesterday. Me n beau have been recovering since. Enormous amounts of work done, and a good time was had by all.
http://samuel-warde.com/2014/03/scientific-proof-liberals-smarter/
Because I've spent so much time trying to grok conservatives, and really can't. I am unable to go where they are, and evidently, vice versa.
Alan on the HEP blog suggested sending a Thank-you to Angela Merkel.
I love that idear! Here's the address:
Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany
4645 Reservoir Rd NW,
Washington, DC 20007
He also suggested one for Macron, though if it's just for his handshake, that seems excessive. But Merkel has been such a tower of strength and wisdom in the world, and that's so needed!
Good idea, Listener.....I love A.M.....classy all the way....
Wow. Moving in the midst of a Severe Thunderstorm Watch is interesting! We went with the rental truck to Son's two storage facilities and picked up his stuff. Stopped briefly at our house, but got moving pretty fast when we heard a rumble of thunder from the west! Son and I (Bill had to work) zoomed east to Son's new house, and got the couches off the truck first. Unloaded to the house (including one very pesky futon frame that gave a hassle getting it through a tight hallway area; but with enough geometrics we did it! Ha! Then I unloaded my car while he swept out the truck. Just as he shut the big door on the back of the truck we had the first loud clap of thunder overhead!! It really matters to check the radar on a day like this!! Whoo hoo! VICTORY!!!
So then we sat on his new super-comfy couch and rested for about a half hour before I headed home. And guess what. The sun came out and that was that! No hail...which was a VERY good thing!! 😀🌻
Congratulations on the big and successful move, Listener!
We are looking forward o having Rhiannon Giddens (local
girl made good) in town next week. She is on tour with her band
and new cd 'Freedom Highway'.....slave narratives turned to music
and in her voice with her banjo --which is a replica of a 19th century
instrument played by slaves. Tickets are another Mother's Day gift
from Brenda.
Love to all..
Well, my "June First" day went rather catawumpus. I had an eye doc appt, after which I would have my snow tires changed over to Summer tires and get a software update for my car. After that I was to go on to setting up our new composter. Whoo. So exciting. Well...
It turns out I kind of need a new eyeglass prescription. Then I was sitting waiting for my car to be ready, with my eyes so dilated I had to wear sunglasses indoors, and they found a huge mouse nest in my engine, but fortunately no wires were chewed!
Later I got the yard area ready for the composter, but still need to set up the new one.
Apparently, I suck at planning a personal holiday! 😜
Shirlee! What a great opportunity for you. You sure seem to have good entertainment nearby a lot. Wonderful!!
Oh! But I did buy a red-lined black and white checkerboard tote because it matches my Mini and I am always having to fish around for a good size bag. So the day was not a complete loss. LOL!
Cold. C.O.L.D. Yikes!
I'm helpless/hopeless--just started West Wing for #15. . . . Can't help it--smart, funny caring people running the country. Who could ask for more.
Found this funny--
AVG PROTECTION PROVIDED ON THIS PC
LAST 30 DAYS SINCE INSTALLATION
Computer Protection
Files scanned 0 496494
Infected files found and healed 0 1
listener, your celebration day sounds lovely! Now you can see, the mice have been rehomed without damage to you or yours, you're up to date, and have a fine new checkerboard bag!
Well, the idear of the day is lovely. Not so sure this actual day was so lovely. Today I was wiped out. About to take a nap!
Vermont to Join "Climate "Alliance" ...
Hurrah for Vermont!
(Note that our *Republican* Governor supports this.)
http://www.wcax.com/story/35576948/vermont-to-join-climate-alliance-after-us-pulls-out-of-paris-accord
The thought has occurred to me that der turnip is here for the purpose of shepherding us from super-power to ordinary citizenship amongst the world's nations. I've thought, off and on, in my lifetime about the subject. Once sitting in a small cafe in Greece, set in a field of 3,000 year old ruins, I noted that life goes on. . . . And given that I adored Greeks, went on very well indeed. A bit later, had, in China, that conversation with a Brit student, whose parents had lived with it post WWI. Italy, Portugal, Spain all survived. Even the Soviet Union seems to have, sort of. Wonder if we'll manage it with the Grace of Great Brittan, or the ugliness of the Russians?
I'm saying this because I'm beginning to hear the musings from Europe about our uselessness since der turnip's trip there. . . .
T. Did his best to make himself and his country look like fools.
Meanwhile at the bookstore today I met George Lakey..a Quaker
author...who was about to hold a session in the back of the store.
Our bookstore has books, scrumptious
food and an open space at the back for formal or informal talks.
Perfect hangout place!
Had to find solace someplace.....learned that an old friend just died ..we met
when we were nine ....died a few days ago. She had not been very
well for a few years....but always cheerful. Remembrances to go
to an Herb Study Group. She always wanted to be a farmer...but
there we were living in a very new suburb of Dearborn, MI.
Life goes on .....stay well all.
Hi Shirlee,
I'm sorry about your friend. Life is complex, seems to have its own directions, but the gift of having a friend that stayed a friend for life is special.
Your bookstore sounds delightful, perfect: open space, good food, a place for conversation and talks, and good books. I wish we had that here. Our independent stores seemed to have closed.
So tired of Trump and right wing zealots. I hopeful their awfulness will reinvigorate our democracy, revitalize our values and participation. It's life or death for our democracy, I think.
Beautiful day here, warm, sunny, wildflowers everywhere.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/06/01/pulling-out-paris-climate-agreement-death-knell-american-leadership-column/102400368/
Thank you, Pat.....one would think as we got older it would not be
such a surprise to lose a dear one....but that does seem to be the
way it is. Cherish those we have left...and continue to make new friends.
I wish that you could visit our bookstore...guarantee you would love it.
I feel very lucky to be just across the street and half a block away.
Puddle, thanks for the link to Dear Leader's atrocious actions.
I hope Mueller tears him apart.....on Russia...and whatever else
turns up.
Love to all.
Ah, Shirlee, I join in sending you condolences at the loss of such a long time friend. ❤️ Nothing makes that come 'round right...except to keep on loving them.
Oh that we could all meet up at Shirlee's bookstore!!
If we ever have to create a new blog, we'll have to name it "Shirlee's Bookstore: Where people of good heart gather to blog"
Pat! I'm so happy that you got a beautiful day with Wildflowers! It reminds me of the cross-stitch I did for Bill's sister when she got married. It was done with embroidered flowers too, all done on yellow gingham cloth, and read:
🌷🌾Wishing you Butterfly Mornings
and Wildflower Afternoons 🌿🌻
I have wanted to be the owner/operator of a bookstore called The Great Virtue Sitting Parlor and Greasy Spoon for a long long time. Chili and coffee are free.
5/3/2007
Lost in the Forgetmenots tonight
A night I never imagined
A night without you in it.
Somewhere, real, in the world.
Drowning in the blue of their little faces
In memory that begins to hurt
refuses solace
And I want, forgive me, to pry
my eyes loose of the memories
my fingers from around the neck
of your soul
If you once were not
Not one thing I could have imagined
Why now that you are not
Can I not just let you fly
free of me, my longing?
.
Oh Puddle, this brings me to tears. It's so true, so exquisitely said, just beautiful, beautiful. Thank you.
Yesterday afternoon on my walk with Molly I met a bear walking down our road. Luckily, our confrontation was polite, discerning, and about 100 yards apart. This is what I sent to our Storm Mountain Yahoo network:
Good Morning,
Yesterday afternoon about 3 PM, I was walking on Green Ridge, back to my
house from the cul de sac, and about 100 yards west, almost in front of
my house, I saw a bear, a juvenile, probably a couple of hundred pounds,
walking down the road. I stopped, looked at him, (Oh Darn and other
expletives) and waited. He waited as well. After a few minutes, he
turned and ran off into the woods, north. I was definitely relieved,
but I think it's important to be aware that the bears are out walking
just like we are. It was a polite confrontation, and there was a sense
that neither of us wanted it to be otherwise. Be careful out there.
Pat, you DO have an adventurous life.....right in your
own backyard.....I am glad you knew what to do.
Thank you, Puddle..for your beautiful, meaningful words.
Does anyone hear from Jo...and Barb. I am always so
thankful that Jo started this.....and hope she is well and
happy in her new home.
Love to all.
I'll be getting together with Jo later this month!
Feel free to post messages I can bring to her. 😀💖
Utterly beautiful poem, puddle, sent right down deep into the heart of the soul.
You did well, Pat, to not advance or retreat, but just to wait. Both of you did very well.
Black bears usually don't want trouble. Just don't come between Mama and cubs. And don't carry food when you walk.
The general wisdom is that if there is a bear in your yard, you make a heap of noise by banging pans or whatnot and they saunter off. But to tell you the truth, I've never had a desire to use that method. For one thing, what if it made the bear feel threatened enough to attack (at least attack your house or porch screens)? For another, what if it simply rattled a bear who ran off upset then happened upon someone out walking?
That said, the time in college that our (now PhD) son took a group of college Freshman camping in the Adirondack Mountains, a big black bear came into camp nosing about for their food. Son banged pans and scared it off, while the Frosh watched in amazement. He says they never failed to do anything he asked after that. LOL!
Lawrence Ferlinghetti, wrote decades ago:
“Pity the nation whose people are sheep,
and whose shepherds mislead them.
Pity the nation whose leaders are liars, whose sages are silenced,
and whose bigots haunt the airwaves.
Pity the nation that raises not its voice,
except to praise conquerors and acclaim the bully as hero
and aims to rule the world with force and by torture.
Pity the nation that knows no other language but its own
and no other culture but its own.
Pity the nation whose breath is money
and sleeps the sleep of the too well fed.
Pity the nation — oh, pity the people who allow their rights to erode
and their freedoms to be washed away.
My country, tears of thee, sweet land of liberty.”
― Lawrence Ferlinghetti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpQhO35P5W8
Historian Timothy Snyder: “It’s pretty much inevitable” that Trump will try to stage a coup and overthrow democracy
http://www.salon.com/2017/05/01/historian-timothy-snyder-its-pretty-much-inevitable-that-trump-will-try-to-stage-a-coup-and-overthrow-democracy/
I've read his book "On Tyranny." This man is no lightweight or conspiracy theorist! He teaches at Yale.
Come to testify before Congress on Thursday 10am to 1pm ET
CSPAN, CNN, ABC, CBS and NBC, and more, are airing it live. NPR will broadcast it.
It’s a big deal that broadcast networks will air the Comey hearing live
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/06/06/its-a-big-deal-that-broadcast-networks-will-air-the-comey-hearing-live/?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.b74b75c1b3b3
Seven Questions for Comey
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40166679
Comey told Sessions not to leave him alone with the President
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/06/us/politics/comey-sessions-trump.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0
Come to testify should read COMEY to testify, but apparently Autocorrect doesn't know who the FBI Director is.
Or shall I say, WAS. Heh.
So, here's what I sent to Chancellor Angela Merkel:
Dear Chancellor Merkel,
Gross Gott!
I am writing from Vermont in the United States to thank you for your leadership on Climate Change. Today, Vermont joined the Climate Alliance. This may not be too surprising, given that Vermont is home to Senators Patrick Leahy and Bernie Sanders, and Representative Peter Welch, all of whom stand with the Paris Accord. However, it is good to note that the Climate Alliance is also supported by Vermont’s Republican Governor Phil Scott. Vermont leads the United States per capita in renewable energy.
Your words to Americans, having noted our good will and the good will of so many of our nation’s businesses, was received as relief and encouragement. United States citizens, coming together in support of the Paris Accord, are eager to move forward with you. Your wise and kindred leadership is much appreciated.
With Deep Gratitude,
"Right now this is a president behaving extraordinarily badly. But if it becomes clear that the president is trying to obstruct justice and Congress does nothing, that moves us towards a constitutional crisis. If Congress cannot fulfil its role as a check on the president, that's a real problem."
~ Pamela Karlan, Stanford Law School professor
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39902108
Cool to cold. Cloudy. Muggy. Dreary. Ugh.
Warm, grasses so green, wildflowers everywhere, and I have a terrific sinus infection. Wouldn't you know, as my mother used to say.
Did you all watch the Comey testimony? I thought he did remarkably well. I appreciated that he called DT a liar under oath. And I hope he doesn't come to harm for having leaked the info to the NYTimes. He wanted to make sure the world found out what happened. Between DT first saying he fired Comey because the FBI is a mess and has no good leadership, then telling the reporter it was about Russia and he wanted the pressure off, then adding that taunting tweet about "He better hope there aren't any tapes" Comey woke up in the middle of the night and realised tapes would be great, because tapes would prove him (Comey) right. So he sent the notes of his meetings with DT to the NYTimes through a professor friend at Columbia U. I hope he comes out as a hero for that. At any rate, when one of the Senators (a R?) asked why they should believe his word against the President's word, Comey responded with the ways investigators can tell. The chief way is that one looks at the WHOLE of what an individual has said and done and sees whose word is the more credible. At one point, near the end, I think it was Burr who declared that Comey had today shown himself to be truthful, or something of that ilk. I suuuuure wish I knew what was spoken in the closed door questioning afterwards!
Let me try that again...
Well, dear friends, I'm leaving in the morning for Retreat!
I'll be away though Sunday, and am very much looking forward to having some quiet.
ALONE by Carly Simon
My goin' has nothing to do with you
I'm planning a trip all alone
And all I want is a room with a view
Where the sight of the sunset full blown
Makes me ache with feeling alone.
And I'll think about you there
If I do some thinkin'
And I'll care about you there
As it's love I've know
It's not to leave you that I'm goin'
I'm just goin' to be alone
It seems that I'm hearing those noises again
The voices, once small, now have grown.
Flashbacks keep sending me way back to when
The sounds of the waves on the stones
Make me ache with feelin' alone
And I'll think about you there
If I do some thinkin'
And I'll care about you there
As it's love I've know
It's not to leave you that I'm goin'
I'm just goin' to be alone
Alone. Alone.
I'm all alone...
Silent Retreat here:
http://www.adelynrood.org/Becoming-a-Godsend2017/
Martin is WONDERFUL! He was superior of the monks in Cambridge, MA (Society of St. John the Evangelist, Episcopal Cowley Brothers) for 9 years before leaving the monastery and continuing his ministry as a priest in DC. When I chaired the Diocesan Spiritual Direction Committee here, he came up and did a retreat for us. I've also been to a previous retreat with him at Adelynrood. ALWAYS he has something fresh to offer, some deep, well-honed, thoughtful reflection, some wisdom that rings utterly true and leads one to something vital inside. I am so crispy and ready for an ALL STOP...!!!
Oh, I just noticed that the lyrics I snagged had a typo:
As it's love I've known
That was me who deleted and rewrote a message. All thumbs tonight! Ha!
See you on the other side! ✨💖✨
Good Afternoon,
Thank you, Listener, for "Alone", for sharing your Retreat, your letter to Chancellor Merkel, and your love and attention.
Hot, hot, windy day here, but because of our two foot snowfall in May, the wildflowers are exuberant.
I barely listen to the news anymore. It's so repetitious, so pared down, so negative. After about a half hour, I've had enough. How do we get the big picture back, the values, the ethics, the respect, the recognition of complexity? And when will we stop wasting money on wars? Oh well, you can see why I'm discouraged with the news.
I don't know what will come of the Comey testimony with all the polarization. I have hope that somehow the pragmatism of the American people will will return, make itself felt. It's tough being a human critter. Hello to all.
5/12/2007
at 17. . . .
Dark. A street lamp. Early morning.
Stone. Cold. Sober.
Oneness. Being a tree. Tree is me.
Nothing nothing nothing
is ever the same again
Oneness
That we are never anything
but that one who is us
There is no time
all clocks melt
Be still
feel it
The trout creates itself, for instance,
feels every single scale
and chooses rainbows
Your hand resting against my neck
as you read over my shoulder
I feel the warmth of your unseen smile
.
Puddle, OOOHHH, so true, just beautiful. Will save and reread.
Just had long convo wit da kiddle about der turnip. We had sum fun! Sad.
I arrived home from Retreat last evening. It was deep and useful, hopeful and challenging...and a question I have had for 21 years was responded to. So glad I went!
CDs of the Retreat "Becoming a Godsend" will be available as of next month at: www.Adelynrood.org/
Photos from Retreat:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10155940313471754.1073742398.637766753&type=1&l=8ae83566eb
Much rain, which, blessedly, dropped the temps a goodly bit. Firefly time is upon us, without much of a peeper or maybug season. Elder in bloom.
Pretty much hot and muggy in GSO this week ".some rain.
Local bookstore owner delivered two books I had ordered...
Inckuding one edited by Christopher Tolkien.....
'Beren and Luthien.' Story of a mortal man and an elf maiden.
Lovely bookmaking also. Not sure how I got so lucky as to
spend my late retirement years within walking distance of two
live theaters and an independent book store!
I watch some Trump evil doings...but not too much....sleepless
nights ensue. My one wish now is that he is out of our life
before I die!
Love to all....
New thread!
Post a Comment