Friday, June 30, 2017

I believe this.

56 comments:

Pat said...

Hi Puddle,
I read that but I don't remember the source, but yes. It stayed in my mind, and I look at trees differently now. Thank you for the new thread.

We had rain last night, so needed, and the day is pleasantly cooler, though heat should return in a few days.

puddle said...

I was told by a Park Ranger in Armstrong Woods that the redwoods nurse the baby trees by wrapping their roots around the baby's roots and feeding them until they are tall enough to get their own sunshine.

Pat said...

Hi Puddle, interesting and warming to know that a consciousness and nurture exists throughout nature. Where did the quote for the new thread come from? I remember reading it but don't remember where.


puddle said...

Kiddle comes tomorrow, but leaves before the 4th, lol! Ma has no fireworks. . . .

puddle said...

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/30/world/europe/german-forest-ranger-finds-that-trees-have-social-networks-too.html

Pat said...

Thanks, Puddle. I think I must have read a review of the book and that quote was in the review.

A beautiful sunny day here and quiet.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Sunny and 80's in GSO...rain expected this afternoon.
A non-profit city supported group has taken on our multi
day Fourth of July celebration. Brenda no longer involved..
..big relief to her. Tell your Kiddle to head here Puddle, .
We have fantastic fireworks at our downtown ball stadium.
A local ...developer is building a hotel with apartments
overlooking the stadium. He is a guy with too much money
intent on maling his mark.....

Love to all ....

puddle said...

Doubt he'd do it, lol! I love fireworks, but have a lifetime's to remember, so I'm good. Our local guys were at it last night for almost an hour. Much sound, nothing else from here. Chinese new year: now *there's* a celebration! Twelve hours straight. Every household full up. Twas dangerous to try even cycling down the street--stuff fell on your head! And every doorway boobytrapped with cherry bombs.

puddle said...

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/fundamentalism-racism-fear-and-propaganda-an-insider-explains-why-rural-christian-white-america-will-never-change/#.WVlUcq7R10J.facebook

Pat said...

Thank you for the article. It rings true. There is no changing the mentality that is closed off to change, to facts, to critical analysis of bigotry and a belief system that separates people as superior and others as inferior.

Warm and cloudy. We need rain.

Will visit children for July 4th. Yesterday and the day before and at 10PM at night, someone was shooting guns. The mountains magnify the sounds. So inconsiderate. Some of us complained on our local network, but shooting guns is legal here. Sound can be so disturbing. Why wouldn't people consider neighbors before choosing to do this?

puddle said...

Saturday night, Cooter thought there were gunshots. Not. Guys with fireworks. . . . Though we do have the gun shooters from time to time.

Boy's leaving in "TEN MINUTES"--may make it, too, organized as he is. /so gratitudinous for this kid.

Started Lord of the Rings yesterday. Got the first two. Muting the sounds on the battle scenes helps. Startled that Shadowfax was white. Clear memory of him from the books as a black steed. (Turns out, most likely some kind of gray. Hinges, it seems, on whether you think black can glisten like silver. . . .) For me, I think it was the invisible at night thang.

puddle said...

Just left.

listener said...

Just popping by for sec to let you know I haven't forgotten you! Back full-time on Thursday. ♥

listener said...

PS: We took down our American flag on January 20th. Putting it back up for tomorrow. πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Trying to decide whether to keep it up or not. Thoughts?

puddle said...

Well, the pResident doesn't *own* the flag (or the country. . . . I get very tired of the right pretending that it's theirs.

You've been missed. Hope you're enjoying yourselves! And happy anniversary!

Pat said...

Good Morning,

It's gonna be hot today. About 3 PM I head down to Mead to join my sons and their families for a 4th of July buffet.

Puddle, what's the name for the cakes the Chinese bring to holiday celebrations? It's slipped my mind.

Happy 4th everyone.

Pat said...

Moon cakes. Just remembered.

puddle said...

Ya. Yue Bing. My favs were the ones the street vendors sold--simple crust, and filled with red bean paste. I only saw them there, or here, between mid August to early October.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooncake#Mid-Autumn_Festival

Shirlee Murphy said...

Fun Fourth Festival just winding down here in GSO. at least on Elm.
Music down the street this evening and fireworks....80 plus degrees
and muggy......doesn't stop this crowd!!!! I have two windows from which
to watch the activities!

Thanks for the information on moon cakes ...had heard of them but never
knew how they were made.

Stay cool....

Love to all

listener said...

Well, I guess I'm back. Did you miss me? I'm mulling how back I am. That is, I can honestly say that I really didn't miss most of social media while taking about a week off from it. I could truly wish we all connected through email and phone. But just as I was questioning my future on Facebook in particular, I got whammed by a hard reality. PhD*Son arrived home a few days early from nearly six weeks of field research in the Arctic, and I didn't know it for two days because I wasn't following Facebook. I'm mulling what that will mean going forward. I first got on FB to see photos of my grandchildren. I wish there was a better way to stay in touch with immediate family. Hmmm...

That said, it was a good week, with much to show for it. When I've had chance to create an annotated photo album, I'll post the link here.

Pat said...

Hi Listener, yes, your were missed. Welcome back.

Hot day here. Son came up to help with computer equipment and records. We must have 100 LPs that go back many years. I told him to check with a collector. Should be interesting.

Had a nice time yesterday with family, but got lost getting there and returning home. I think it's probably not a bad thing to get lost, since it teaches me how to find my way, though I admit there's lots of anxiety.

So, after son left, I went into Estes to shop. This downsizing is going to take a while, but it will happen.

I'm very concerned about North Korea and our disastrous President. Whew! How we got here, is something to think about.

Well, off to call my sister and say hello.

And as always, so glad to be here with you. Puddle, how's The Lord of the Rings coming along?

puddle said...

Finished it. Have an extended version of the Fellowship, which I'm not ready to tackle yet. And the three from the Hobbit are coming, after the next payday.

listener said...

{{{ {{ { Thank-you, Pat. } }} }}}

You are finding your way. I admire your reflection that becoming lost in both directions may facilitate finding your way. As one who has at times become lost on the roadways, and definitely does not like that feeling, I send you a hug (or two) and wish such moments would keep their distance. I believe you'd still find your way without those anxiety exercises. πŸ’–

listener said...

Thanks, puddle! We went to put up the flag and discovered it had a tear down one of the silks. So that was that. Having to actually buy a new one might make us wait longer than we would have. But we'll see. I get annoyed seeing people flying huge flags off the back of their pickup trucks. That is actually a desecration of the flag. They may be among those who think the Declaration of the Independence was written about DT not King George and by modern liberals. Well, if King George's shoe fits DT...

puddle said...

You know? I kinda feel pity for the righties--they have no actual information and seem unable to acquire any, either. Everything they know seems to have been installed before they were five, and they don't seem able to change that. Thinking and problem solving is just too hard to do, so they're at the mercy of the first bully in the door who'll tell them what to do. . . . And over and over and over they get well and truly screwed by such bullies.

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/7/4/1677722/-The-myth-of-guest-workers-threat-to-US-jobs-is-coming-home-to-roost-in-Trump-country

puddle said...

Finally! Got a life long wish granted (almost life long--since I was eight or nine). Watching the credits for Fellowship, there were FOUR BEST BOYS. And and one was gurl!!!!

Pat said...

GRIN! That's great.

listener said...

puddle, I love it!!

When we watched the credits at the theatre, when it first came out, I saw the name of someone I KNEW!! Zane Weiner was a student when I worked at UNH in 1974. He was an Assistant in the first film and by the third was in charge of a whole unit! Awesome. He was a really good actor, and I saw his senior project (a one-act play he wrote based on The Last Temptation of Christ) in which he played (wait for it) a Babbling Brook...! At some point along the way he went to sets and other backstage work. Oh, how far he has come.

We ALWAYS watch the credits!!!

Shirlee Murphy said...

Nineties, muggy.off and on rain. Best to stay inside ...for me.
Picked upmy mail yesterday and there was a package. Brenda
said it was from her...my very own copy of the movie 1776!

For several years I have ordered one from Netfix...which my young'uns
pay for ..for me. Bless their hearts...but sooner or later they need to
go back. Now, I have a copy I can keep with my other July 4 entertainment.
Audio books of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn...along with a four disc
Garrison Keillor set he did after 9-11. I love the way he dives into George W.!

About to rain again. In Greensboro!

Love to all.....

listener said...

Shirlee! We watched 1776 for the first time just last week!! I thought it very well done, though I think it would have more impact without the songs. Enjoy!!

Massive thunderstorms here today!!

listener said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
listener said...

Let me try that again...

Oh, what a great read. Don't miss this one!

http://www.bluedotdaily.com/pastor-explains-when-white-folks-say-obama-was-an-embarrassment-here-is-your-response/

puddle said...

Couple very moderate days going on here. Won't last, but good for now. Very good indeed.

Lost a long post last night, and just gave up.

Pat said...

Another hot day here but also some thunder and lightning and some splats of rain. Seven wildfires in Colorado, though none near us this time.

I think it's beginning to rain again. Colorado's the only place I know when it rains when the sun is out. Weird.

But, will get off the computer for now in case of lightning.

listener said...

Today we learned that DT, Jr. met with a Russian lawyer during the campaign to try to get dirt on Hillary.
*BREAKING NEWS* is that Jr. was told (beforehand) in an email (from Rob Goldstone) of the Russian effort to aid the DT Campaign.

listener said...

Pat, it has been known to rain (and even snow!) here under a blue sky! I have been known to quip: "Who needs clouds?" πŸ˜„

I'm sad about the fires in Colorado. A friend of ours just bought a house in CO and is moving there from CA. I don't yet know what town. Stay safe!

listener said...

Sooooo, here are a few pithy articles.

NPR: Who is Rob Goldstone?
http://www.npr.org/2017/07/10/536456901/he-says-he-connected-trump-jr-to-russian-lawyer-put-trump-sr-in-a-music-video

Forbes, March 2017: Exclusive: Powerful Russian Partner Boasts Of Ongoing Access To Trump Family
https://www.forbes.com/sites/noahkirsch/2017/03/20/russian-billionaire-family-trump-ties-ongoing/#5cbd335669b3

puddle said...

Very nasty hot day and three more to follow before some kind of sanity returns.

puddle said...

Spent an hour tonight talking to my ex. He's fully of the view that the media is after der turnip, and it's all fake news. The only reason his supporters would desert him is if he fails to rescind the tax law that keeps corporations from bringing profits home. ( https://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy/2017/05/trump-s-tax-plan-seeks-bring-back-trillions-corporate-profits-held-abroad-ca )

I doubt it. But *he* certainly believes it. Alas. But some times your remember why you got unmarried.

puddle said...

In The Return of The King, there's on battle scene where one of the orcs has a (meager) braid. I flashed, immediately, on the scene of the orcs sitting around their dorms at night braiding each other's hair. Cept it was only the one. . . .

Shirlee Murphy said...

Puddle--I do love your comment about why you goy unmarried...Yep...agree, agree!

In 90's here and will be for awhile...no outdoor walking for me.
Don't feel like it anyway...having a nasty RA flare..doc notified,
updated prednisone script.....thinking she will need to do an
inflammation check. Days like this I am happy for my book and
cd collections.

I am glad you all are enjoying them various versions of Hobbit Lit.
Enjoy...stay safe, well, cool etc.

Love to all

Pat said...

Dear Friends,

I gave a former student my email on Facebook, then realized maybe it wasn't a former student, so deleted the message. I woke this morning feeling like I might be hacked, then got a phone call from someone who said they were from Microsoft and I'd been hacked.

After about 30 minutes on the phone, all kinds of contradictions, I realized they were the hackers, but I'd given them remote control of my computer. I called my son and told him. He came up after work and was able in about three hours to restore my computer. He told me I was lucky. They might have encrypted my computer and destroyed all my data. I had called them back and told them I was going to report them to the FBI and did. They hung up on me. David said that they were amateurs, could really have done some damage.

I'm so grateful. He came up, worked on it, solved the situation, and I'm back up. Never never take a phone call from a technical company, he told me, nor click on links or even addresses of someone you don't know. I am relieved, lucky, and if I hadn't had the premonition, I might have been more thoughtful. We are so linked with each other, the world, information, family.

Anyway, dear friends, a sigh of relief and gratitude.

puddle said...

Ah, Ms Shirlee--FEEL BETTER! Sending love and light from here to there.

puddle said...

Oh, Pat, I'm so sorry. I once had a dream that a former friend called and wanted to make good the damage she'd done. And that morning she called and said that, so I went over. After an hour or so, I realized that not one thing had changed, said world turned too many times and left. With a really awful taste in my mouth. Never would have gone without the dream first. . . .

Howsumevah: When has Microsoft ever called anyone in need? Never. I occasionally get a little help box saying blah blah blah--if it has a link or a phone number, I stop and google. stat. So glad you have a tech savvy son *close*! Grateful it turned out okay. My ex lost a computer to ransomware. Actually, twice. First time he had to reinstall the operating system.

Pat said...

Thanks, Puddle. Yes, something about dreams, intuitions can make us susceptible. It was ironic that I woke up feeling I would be hacked, then received a phone call that would hack me. Sigh! I felt so anxious, and now I'm so grateful. I know there are more serious things in this world, but living alone and who we are, we're very dependent on the computer.

My son told me never to expect a company like Microsoft would call me.

So, we learn, we go on, and I guess I got lucky today.
I'm glad to be here with you. And now, I think I'll turn in for the night. WHEW.

listener said...

Wow, Pat. That was a close one! And how very strange that you had the feeling of being hacked when you actually were...! That's good radar, but the timing was unfortunate, given when the call came. Hurrah for sons who know how to untangle messes! Our youngest is that for us, and I feel your pain and relief...!

listener said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
listener said...

How does the education in your state compare to the rest of the world?
https://education.good.is/articles/educational-state-map-international


Wow, Vermont is like Sweden!

listener said...

House Democrats want to know why a major Russian money-laundering case was abruptly settled
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-was-russian-money-laundering-case-dismissed-house-dems-2017-7
Jeff Sessions ended it and the lawyer involved in the money laundering case was ... wait for it ... Natalia Veselnitskaya.

You really can't make this stuff up!!

puddle said...

Just thinking--one of the main things about evil, besides ugly, is that finally, it just boring. Just starting Two Towers, and dreading three hours of gollum.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Ah, gollum...I am just about to run into him again for the first time...again.
I am listening to my cd collection of the whole series for the ????? time.
I love it dearly...disc 3 of The Hobbit...and Bilbo finds The Ring..and
"It was a turning point in his life...". Narrator is very good on this the
Recorded Books version. Do we all have gollums in our lives..recognized
or not?

Computer hackers are right there with Trump supporters..and maybe one
and the same. Happy you have help, Pat.

Love to all

P.S. Prednisone is working...beginning to feel much better. Thanks all.

puddle said...

Oh. good! So glad you are feeling better!! Weather's enough to deal with, all by itself. . . .

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/07/andy-serkis-donald-trump-tweets-gollum-late-show

puddle said...

Fifty-four years ago, I spent this day in a labor room at Providence Hospital in the District of Columbia. Half hour past midnight I became a mother. Some days you never forget, lol!

He was three weeks early. Doc said, given the size of his head, if he'd been full term, he would have been a cesarean. Smart kid from the beginning.

Pat said...

Hi,
A smile for you, Puddle. Biggest job in the world, kids, and so worth it.

Shirlee, glad you are feeling better.

My computer seems to be fine. I'm so grateful. David Jr. came up after work, spent three hours, cracked the password, deleted the remote connection, scanned, restored my home page, no data lost. I feel so lucky. How stupid I was. The scumsuckers called today giving me a number to call if I wanted my computer unlocked. My last word to them yesterday was I'm calling the FBI, and I did, though I won't follow up. Let the fear do its job.

I bought a new washing machine from Home Depot, to be delivered on Thursday. Today I put in a load of laundry in my old Maytag, and it worked perfectly, put in another load, and it worked perfectly. I called Home Depot and talked to one of their service people, and I may go in on Sunday to either cancel my order or buy a machine that has gears instead of a belt and transmission. I just don't know. Ah, decision making alone.

Beautiful day here. Went on a walk with ten other mountain people, and I felt energized. It's good to be with people now and then. I can stop talking to myself.

About Trump. I just don't know. It feels like we've elected the devil himself.

Take good care, friends.

puddle said...

Oops. It was fifty THREE years. . . .

puddle said...

New thread! (sorta)