I saw your post, Pat! I wish we could give you some of our precip. We are coming close to a new record for snow on the Mountain. Over 100" and more than half of that just in March!!
I'm exhaustified--been awake since seven when the phone rang (often my only notice from the phone company that it's fixed). Then the county called to let me know the courthouse was closed. I got up after about three hours sleep. Had a two hour nap last evening, but tared tared tared jus' now. Night all. Happy snow day tomorrow.
Love you al, ladies...thanks for your wishes and thoughts. Just now fighting an infection at the cancer site.....apparently that happens fairly often. We woke to some snow this morning...gone by noon. We thought of you When snow was reported. Good care by hospice people... Fast reaction.
I hope you have lots of provisions and are just going to let it melt. I imagine it's heavy wet snow, this time of year, so don't go out shoveling, okay?
♡ ♡ ♡ Shirlee, I do not like the sound of an infection at the cancer site. Infections are exhausting and often painful. It does my heart good to hear that you continue to have such good care!! Glad, too, that the snow there didn't stay.
We had blue sky and sunshine for five days straight, then today we had soft silver cloud haze but no snow. They say we could get a dusting to two inches overnight.
My MINI is in the shop. Monday as I headed to NH, about a mile from my house I needed to turn left onto a side street. The oncoming pickup truck went first and I followed, and all seemed well until for no apparent reason the truck slowed way down as I began to turn in behind it, forcing me to make a little bit wider turn to compensate. My front right tire slightly rode up on a snowbank, but it didn't seem any big deal. However, almost immediately my 'low windshield wash' light came on, despite my having filled it the evening before. Sure enough, it turns out the plastic container for the windshield wash needs to be replaced. Sigh. It'll arrive tomorrow, so my poor MINI has to sit outside at the shop all night, and I get to pay $200 because that guy slowed down so much and we've had so much snow. Phooey.
Pretty much plan to let it melt. Neighbor with plow is coming tomorrow to do the road and parking space. *Always* have plenty of provisions, lol! But hope to avoid a kipper snack sammie. . . .
No funsies with infections, Shirlee. Sending light.
Shirlee, it's wonderful to hear from you. I say a prayer for you every day. I read a Wendell Berry article in the April Sun Magazine where he says that love is immortal. Love to you and Brenda.
Hi Listener, how annoying, but glad it wasn't worse. In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, the snow packs were so high after plowing they put flags on top of them.
Hi Barb.
About mid sixties today, and tomorrow, maybe snow. Ah, Colorado.
With respect to Trump's choice of Bolton to replace MacMasters I can't think of a worse choice. He was an embarrassment when he represented us at the United Nations under Bush W. I can't think of more confrontational, inept, repulsive choices than Trump has made, an affront to the whole country. Ugh.
My car is still in the shop, because the storm that just hit New England interfered with transportation. Sigh. Hopefully the part will arrive tomorrow.
We are heading to Montpelier on Saturday for the March For Our Lives. Our son who lives in the area will join us! Instead of bringing a protest sign, I'm going to bring my camera.
No snow overnight after all. Now they're saying maybe Saturday night.
So good to see all of you ladies here. Shirlee, so sad to hear of your troubles. Thankful for Brenda's help. {{{ ♡ Shirlee ♡ }}}
So freaking out about Boulton. those of you who remember JC may remember the graphic she mad of Mz Chickie Pie Little with a Boulton mustache. Was funny. She apologized, but said she couldn't help herself. I printed it out and it still hangs on my political wall with all my friends from way back. I have so much of JC's stuff. Demetrius' too.
Plus I found a "mad bomber" style Hanna Andersson hat on Ebay and it came today in time for the March For Our Lives tomorrow! We are expecting a little snow during the March, so this will really help.
BARB! Check out this website of JC's Designs LIVE! It includes your car. And be sure to note that the IMPEACHMENT bumper sticker would be perfect right now!!
Still lotsa snow. Road that was plowed, melted down to dirt. But two huge piles of snow on my iris/day-lily gardens on either side of the road.
Nice little bit with da boy before I let him out a bit ago. I asked him where his bone was. He stopped, looked around, then looked up the stairs. I said fetch a bone. He looked up again, but didn't move. So I stepped back, and repeated myself. And he ran right up the stairs and brought back the bone, and I let him out, bone in mouth. He wuz soooo pleased wit himownself, I couldn't help but laugh!
Hi Puddle, I don't blame you for being tired of the phone situation. It seems to go on and on, definitely tedious. Hope it's resolved soon. A smile for Beau. It's wonderful when they communicate. I read in an old National Geographic that it took 14000 years to domesticate wolves into dogs. I'm wondering if it's not going to take much more time to domesticate humans.
Hi Shirlee. Thinking of you, hoping you are pain free.
Thanks for the links, Listener, and hope your car will be repaired soon. Three cheers for you tomorrow. Will be thinking of you.
Holy Moly, puddle. Those peeps ought to just start a new line from Telephone Central and run it clean up to your house and have done with it!! They can't seem to keep the current one intact, and that you may tie to!!
Spinnaker sure communicated today! Not long into a spiritual guidance meeting she made it clear by meowing that she wanted to to go out. I ignored her at first hoping she'd nap instead. But she came right up to me, got up on her hindies and insisted! So there was no help for it. Fortunately the seeker I was sitting with has sheep and understands about animals' needs. Silly Spinny was out and in three times and got the kitty zooms into the bargain. It's usually Mizzen who wants attention during meetings, but for all three meetings today she stayed upstairs and slept!
As my granddaughter says, "You can't make cats do stuff." π
“Protest that endures, I think, is moved by a hope far more modest than that of public success: namely, the hope of preserving qualities in one’s own heart and spirit that would be destroyed by acquiescence.”
- A Poem of Difficult Hope, from What Are People For?
On Friday, the Vermont House members deliberated for 10 hours, then passed a Gun Restrictions bill. It didn't go as far as I would have liked, but made some great strides.
Our rally in Montpelier was well attended, and so supportive of our young people! Politicians were asked not to speak, and the focus was on the teens speaking. They did amazingly well! Bernie and Peter Welch were there on the Statehouse steps lending the support of their presence. Our state legislators, who had just passed a bill the day before, were powerfully cheered. At the end of the rally, the crowd chanted "Bernie! Bernie! Bernie!" Bernie simply walked up to the microphone and waved. And it is surely to his credit.
On Sunday I woke with a granddaughter on the premises. Then we went off to visit a Sugar House, and the entirety of The Fam in Vermont came along. So that was good and fun.
My plan is to enjoy temps in the 40's this week, and to watch the weather closely for next weekend. We hope to be in Maine with loved ones, but there is a real chance of a significant storm in New England (yes, another) for Passover, which is also Easter Eve. Heh.
Meanwhile, two more roofers coming to make quotes on our roof. Childcare tomorrow and a spiritual guidance meeting, more of same for Tuesday and Thursday, plus Tai Chi class. A retreat day (no matter what) on Wednesday. And on Friday, if all goes well, packing. Somehow in the midst of all of that, I need to decorate a bunch of candles and think what to bring to the grands.
This was mea culpa. Beau's loose, has been for a bit. I let him out thinking I'd hooked up his cable. I had not. He wandered right past my neighbor clearing my culverts, and on. I hollered to her, but she didn't hear until he was almost to the main road. Asking for prayers, light, good thoughts, whatever ya got.
It gets worse: Oh, cripes. I forgot! His ID bone which usually is on his collar got taken off last week because it got entangled with the cable clip. I couldn't get it back on! Double dirty damn!
Thank Goodness. So relieved. Yes, you deserve a vacation, Listener. Hi Shirlee. I hope your day is good. Hi Barb. Snow coming down here. Take care dear friends.
So happy that Beau is home, Paddle...if wet! Thank you all for your good wishes...good news about the. Infection...it is beginning to heal. Nurse checks it twice a week and they taught Brenda How to clean and care for wound. Good wishes to all.
Ah Beau, you silly Boy! Even if you didn't have the sense to stay home, I'm so glad you had the sense to come back home. There's nothing like knowing where your food bowl and warm bed are! wOOf! πΎ
Beau was still damp at bedtime, but dry this morning. Seems still a bit subdued. I’m guessing the jaunt wasn’t as much fun as he thought it was going to be.
Shirlee, glad glad glad the infection is being handled and is ameliorating. Stay warm and happy. Think about you alla time.
Former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens calls for a repeal of the Second Amendment. Former Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger says, if he were writing the Bill of Rights, he wouldn't include it.
Yes. The Second Amendment is obsolete, doesn't serve, and has become a ground for ideology, aggression, and insanity.
Thanks for posting that, Listener.
After David died, Molly was behaving strangely. I called her one afternoon after I let her out but she wouldn't come to me. I eventually went to her and brought her to the house by holding onto her collar. The next morning when I let her out, she was gone for over an hour, something that had never happened before. I was worried, distraught. It was cold out; it had snowed. She eventually came back though I have no idea where she went. I think she was angry with me and decided to leave, and then returned. I know the feeling of losing a loved dog. I think they know a great deal and have a variety of emotions. I'm glad she forgave me and decided to return.
Hurrah for healing, Shirlee! Sending more healing vibes your way!! ♡
Pat, you are correct that dogs really feel a loss. Maybe Molly misbehaving (and toward you) was a cry for help to the person most available and known. She must have been so confused and sad. How could she understand? You two probably had that in common in some ways.
I have Molly Magee, a Border Collie Bouvier mix. She came from the Humane Society. She'd never been in a house, was one of a litter of 12 belonging to a rancher in Rawlins, Wyoming. She's about 9 years old now and a very sweet, if timid, dog.
Then I have Winter the cat. David was his dude, sat in his office every day and on David's lap when he watched TV. Winter is a Siamese, though doesn't have the brown markings, is all white. He now sits on my lap whenever he can, yowls at 3 in the morning, likes a spoonful of dog food when I prepare Molly's morning food.
So, they are my babies, and I'm grateful to have them
Yes, Shirlee, so glad for healing and hoping your day was good.
Puddle, darn that phone, but you certainly have the persistence and endurance when it comes to the phone situation.
Pat, thank you for the story of your pets! I commiserate about the 3am yowling!! Our Mizzen has been known to come up the stairs in the middle of the night with a toy mouse in her mouth, calling to us all the way, so proud of her catch and wanting us all to come see! Spinnaker's forte is to get so excited when I'm getting in bed that she tramples over poor Bill, meowing in joy all the way. No amount of shushing quells her enthusiasm or volume! They are both beyond me! Ha!
But for all that, or pets are sweet, and cuddly, and soft and ... necessary.
In addition to S.55, which sets restrictions on guns, a "red flag" bill, S.221, received final approval in the House on Friday morning, and a domestic violence bill, H.422, passed a third and final reading later in the day in Senate. Republican Gov. Phil Scott says he will sign all three bills into law after his attorneys review the legislation for possible technical errors.
I LOVE VERMONT!!!
As I understand it, the one thing I really wanted wasn't included, which is an assault weapons ban. But these are huge strides for the state that had the most lax gun laws until now.
Happy Easter. It feels like a new year today of hope, of recognition, of willingness to speak for change, for ethics, for care of the earth and all its inhabitants.
Hello to you, Shirlee, Listener, Puddle, and Barb.
A bit of snow here, but blue sky emerging. Off to join family for an Easter feast in Fort Collins.
We are home from Maine after a WONDERFUL weekend with the kids and grands!! We got to help our eldest granddaughter gather sap from 19 maple tree buckets. 2 of them are in their yard. The other 17 are all over the neighbourhood. With their neighbours' permission, our son and granddaughter gather the sap every day. Then they boil it down to maple syrup over their home made backyard fire ring, in a special evaporator they had made special for them in Vermont. Then they distribute the maple syrup, free, to all the neighbours whose trees they tapped. And we got a big jar of it to bring home too!
We went to the Easter Vigil on Saturday evening. I thought the lay reader/chalice bearer seemed familiar, but we've attended there with family from time to time for many years. But! After the service she came up to me, clearly recalled me from an event many years ago, as we were both at the ordination of her best friend (from age 3!), for whom I had served as spiritual guide. That was sweet. But then she tried to convince me to come and lead a retreat for them. I told her the last 2 retreats I tried to lead I lost my voice, and I considered that "a sign." LOL! But she then told the priest that I am "a renowned retreat leader"~!! I just laughed and explained to him that I have lead maybe 2 retreats. I was also uncomfortable about being contacted to lead a retreat at my daughter's church, not knowing how that would seem to her, and how it might reflect on her, for good or ill. I hope I left that in a good place, but I feel unsettled.
There was a big neighbourhood-wide Egg Hunt at our kids' house this morning. That was fun to observe. And their chickens left a fresh Easter egg as well! Ha!
Hi Listener, thank you for sharing your weekend with us. And, the sap collecting is inspirational. That's community.
About the request that you lead a retreat, sometimes people are so enthusiastic that they don't think about the pressure they are putting on people. I can understand your feeling unsettled, but again, it was a positive image the person held of you.
I had a wonderful time at my daughter-in-law's parents' home. To see and talk to and hug the five grand girls brought joy that I haven't experienced in a long time. They are delightful, so individual, happy, healthy, creative, and I can only be grateful. Our highway was open and it only took a little more than an hour each way.
Today, cool, but no snow. Have a good day, dear friends.
I watched Jesus Christ Superstar on NBC last night. The costuming and stage were really grungy, punky, and the singing, dancing, and staging exuberant, aggressive. It really felt like the bowels of an inner city, and it was powerful. The music is amazing and this production was unlike anything I've ever seen.
Ah, Pat, that you for your very thoughtful messages.
Hurrah for a day without snow! And the road open!!! And hugs from Grand Girls!! How old are they?
You make a good point. I suppose that in a way it was the woman's favourable impression of me that unsettled me. Had she not thought much of me it would have been easier to step back from her request. I felt badly to have to correct her assertion in front of her priest, but I didn't create that scenario, so have let it go.
As a teen, I LOVED the music of Jesus Christ Superstar and I'm sure I still know all the songs. Later, as a seeker then seminarian, I kept seeing how very poor the theology is in that production. It's what happens when highly creative people offer gorgeous music and lyrics about something they know too little about. I think what bugs me most is that assertion that Jesus wanted Judas to do the deed and that he was seeking self aggrandisement. My church youth group got together one Sunday and we were going to listen to the recording with our very learned youth group leader. (He had studied Talmud and more as a Jewish man, then converted to Christianity; so he was far more learned that the average youth group leader.) However, I think his plan was to show us the theological errors in the production. But we were all grooving to the music and not in a listening mode. So he quit the while endeavor in less than a half hour. How I still wish he hadn't.
So, I think I am catching Grandson's miserable cold. Phooey. I don't have wiggle room in which to get sick this week...!
She says "Hi, and never fear, she's still here". Just not feeling up to working on the iPad today.
Still dodging some intestinal issues and tired, but we have some lovely daffodils in our living room to gaze upon. Plus the bird feeder outside the window is very popular with the Cardinals, a red headed wood pecker and several varieties of small birds.
Listener..mom wants to know what do you do as a spiritual guide? Is it one-on-one or with groups? Curious minds want some details!
Wishing you all the best as spring blossoms in your neighborhood.
Thank you most warmly, Brenda! ♥ I heard a White-Throated Sparrow today for the first time this year!! It is my favorite bird call. This means the birds have come back to the valley and are soon to go up into the mountains. So that's showing a little Spring progress!
When I offer spiritual guidance, I usually meet one to one with a seeker who would like to delve deeper in their relationship with the Holy. In the past, I have met with small groups (there is a gentle process for this, designed by the Shalem Institute in Maryland), and for a time I met with a couple.
We begin with silence, then I offer a brief prayer to bridge us from the depth of silence to speaking, but always the idea is to remain prayerful during the meeting. For me, it means leaning into God as I listen to someone tell of their experiences. I'm listening not so much for the details of what they are telling me, but for the Aha that nudges me to pay attention to something in particular. I might ask more about it or highlight it in some way.
The seeker already has the wisdom they need inside them, my part is to bear witness to what is happening in their journey and at times offer a Word or consideration for them to mull. More often than not, my part is to help them trust something that happened as being real and to help them savour it.
It is very different than counseling, as it is not focused on fixing anything or even on offering advice. As my friend Jerry May used to say:
Wondering how to get out of the situation you are in is the realm of psychological counseling.
Wondering what Got would have you learn from this is the realm of pastoral care.
Wondering how to offer yourself to God in the midst of whatever is going on, difficult or joyful alike, is the realm of spiritual guidance.
It's very gentle, amateur (which means "of the heart"), and the seeker ALWAYS owns the discernment.
I hope this helps. Please tell Shirlee I am happy to have more questions. Thank you for keeping Shirlee present in our midst. She is so well loved here and updates really help.
Thank you Brenda and Shirlee. We think of you daily, and the peace in your livingroom is beautiful, and the delight of birds at the feeder. Listener, thank you. What a healing and peaceful practice and how much needed by many of us. I will reread your description of the goals and process.
Windy here again today. Skies pale, a feeling of winter reluctant to be displaced by spring. Molly dog isn't feeling well, walks slowly, won't eat. I'm going to call our vet to morrow. I hope she will be all right. She's 10 years old this year.
Did some reading today and vacuuming. Not much more than that.
Mmmm. I like the sound of a day of reading and some vacuuming. I look forward to more days like that.
I spent Monday and Tuesday marathoning on decorating a candle for my dearest friend who, after 20 years of attending, will be Received in the Episcopal Church on the 15th of this month. I am unable to travel and be present for the service (it's two states away), but she is coming for a flying visit in early June. Meanwhile, I wanted to send her a candle for the service. It is about a foot tall and 2 1/2" wide, created to be an altar candle in a large church of cathedral.
The decoration necessarily takes up half the height of the candle, so to cover the vertical imprint that tells that the candle is made of 55% beeswax. My friend has Eastern Orthodox leanings. So I divided the design into three parts, and began by making three lancets (like little church windows). One lancet has a Byzantine cross with a flowering vine up it, and a yellow Swallowtail Butterfly atop the cross. (Swallowtails are found both in North America and in the Holy Land.) There is a Lily to one side and Clover and a rock to the other. The second lancet has an icon (yes, in wax!), of Madonna and Child with a Christmas Star above them. Mary is holding the Baby Jesus in her arms, and he's a little baby, not a half grown man-child. The third lancet has an icon of Christ Pantocrator, holding an open book. Instead of the usual three Greek letters positioned in Christ's halo, I used the letters "I AM." There is a lamb to the front of him, and above him is a Celtic knot symbol of Trinity. My favourite detail is the last thing I added to the candle. There is a nest built in the valley between the Madonna and Child and the Christ lancets, and in it are three tiny eggs.
I am also sending her a leather Prayer Book and Hymnal combination with her name imprinted on it in gold. So, I'd say she's covered. π
Today I got a much needed haircut and cleaned out the Linen Closet, which needed it even more than I needed a haircut! Ha!
Tomorrow is THE BIG DAY!! I have refrained from overt sugar of every kind for 89 days, and tomorrow on Day 90 is my annual checkup and an A1c test, as well as cholesterol test. I can hardly wait for the results! I probably won't have those until Monday or later, but once that test is done I am free to have one long-awaited small ice cream sundae. Ha! I won't bring sweets into the house and I plan to keep on eating well. But now and then it would be nice to have a treat.
Oh, I do remember at one particularly painful point in my life, looking up, and saying with a good bit of exasperation, Would YOU *please* tell me what I'm supposed to be learning here--I *really* do not want to do this again!
I won't get the results of the cholesterol and A1c blood tests until sometime next week, but I'm optimistic.
On the down side, I'm in the queue for a routine colonoscopy. At least I was able to get a referral to a different doc for that than last time. Last time he wrote "patient tolerated pain well" but I strongly disagree! So she's sending me to a doc everybody seems to love. And she told me to tell them this happened last time, so they will take extra care. Now if somebody could come up with a better prep!! I was told the prep now involves Gatorade and I made it clear that I am unwilling to take a sugar drink after all this time of being so careful! I mean, you clean out your system and the first thing you're going to feed it is sugar and food colouring? Not gonna do it.
HI Friends, We got about 4 inches of snow, and it's still clouded over, but I'm glad that's all we got. I'm sorry that your colonoscopy was painful, Listener, and yes, tell them what happened. Mine wasn't, though it is an uncomfortable exam. So much of our growing up had to do with modesty, and then we have such things as pelvic exams, breast exams, etc. Well, all for the ongoing effort to live and be healthy.
My dog Molly is ill. I cleaned up diarrhea this morning and called the vet. She has an appointment on Monday. I don't know what the problem is.
And so we go on. My love to you Shirlee and Brenda and Listener, Puddle, and Barb.
Ohhh, Pat. I'm sad that Molly is ill. It can be so demoralizing for an older dog to have their gut not cooperate. I hope it's something simple like worms, and easily fixed, and not something more serious.
So true about the immodesties we are subjected to for our well being. How I wish we already had some of the diagnostics and treatments found in Star Trek!!
These past few days have brought much catawumpusness.
Since early February, we've been looking forward to a visit from my cousins from KS and CT, who were to be staying with us Monday through Wednesday this coming week. So we bought tickets, also back in February, to take them to Celtic Woman on Tuesday night. However, CT cousin's husband went into hospital with a potentially serious ailment. So their trip had to be postponed.
So I'm trying to sell the tickets (we wouldn't have been going but for taking them out, and could go but it won't be the same without them). Last night one guy inquired, then backed out. Later last night someone inquired and I was to call them at 10am. I called but they weren't there yet. That person then backed out too. The third person just bought two of the tickets.
So, remember me saying my dearest friend was being received in the Episcopal Church, so I made the elaborate candle for her and had a Prayer Book - Hymnal stamped in gold with her name? An hour before the candle arrived at her home, she got word that the service at which she would be Received has to be postponed...until next February!! [Seriously? Does the Church really treat potential members this way? Has the Church lost its mind?] And I heard the news just after hearing that the newly stamped book was ready. Heh.
Well, at least I got to be on the phone with my Friend while she opened the box to see the candle for the first time! Big hit! I told her that, as it was Eastern Orthodox Good Friday, to go ahead and consider it a gift for Orthodox Easter! Ha! (She has strong Orthodox leanings.)
And I learned that the gold used to stamp her name onto the black leather is 22k gold Wow.
Plus, I got word that the domain name I used for a website and still use for an email address expired yesterday. I had tried several times in the past month to make it through the "menu" of how to pay for another year and never quite managed it. Then I forgot! Anyway, after much trial and error, by some thanks from my computer savvy Youngest, I was finally back up and running by lunchtime. =Whew!=
I hope that all of this at least means that the technology world is giving you a rest, Pat! ♡
The candles are amazing, Listener. What a beautiful and cherished gift.
At this stage, life is before is all its variations, and there are so many. I've been thinking that I will remain calm and recognize that it's all complicated, intricate, and far beyond any control or ability for me to make conclusions. I will try to appreciate every day, even the difficult ones.
"I will try to appreciate every day, even the difficult ones."
Thank you for this, Pat. What a teaching. And so very timely for me. My cousin in CT whose husband is in hospital is my age. My husband and I are healthy. Today we are learning that a SIL on Bill's side of the family, who is also my age, has swiftly worsening medical issues.
There is something about them both being my age that brings a different sort of ache. Prayers redouble. It isn't that I am fearing for my own well being (I am not), or offering gratitude for my well being (though that is understood). It's a deep sorrow that these truly good women have it so hard so young. That they are my age writes it large in my consciousness.
Yes, Listener, I empathize with your sorrow. I too have friends with illnesses and I pray for them every day. I pray to accept our lives and the sorrow and pain that comes with living and try to understand that courage, compassion, love accompany us all the way.
71 comments:
Hi Friends, a nice graphic, Puddle. It's beautiful.
I responded to your question, Listener, on the last thread. We have 19 inches of precipitation at the end of the season and we should have 46 inches.
I hope today was a good day. It was sunny here, cool, windy, and not much melting. I think the roads were probably pretty icy.
Thinking of you, Shirlee.
I saw your post, Pat! I wish we could give you some of our precip. We are coming close to a new record for snow on the Mountain. Over 100" and more than half of that just in March!!
Thinking of you, too, Shirlee! ♥
Thanks for the Stephen Hawking thread, puddle! ♡
I'm exhaustified--been awake since seven when the phone rang (often my only notice from the phone company that it's fixed). Then the county called to let me know the courthouse was closed. I got up after about three hours sleep. Had a two hour nap last evening, but tared tared tared jus' now. Night all. Happy snow day tomorrow.
☁️π☁️ Sweet Dreams, puddle! ☁️π☁️
πPUDDLE ❤️ JO π SHIRLEE π PAT π BARB π BRENDA π
We seem to have 13 inches of snow so far (not ending yet). Funny, I'm glad we all have 911, but never thought I'd think about it so much, lol!
Love you al, ladies...thanks for your wishes and thoughts. Just now fighting
an infection at the cancer site.....apparently that happens fairly often.
We woke to some snow this morning...gone by noon. We thought of you
When snow was reported. Good care by hospice people...
Fast reaction.
Good night alll ...sleep well.
WOW! 13" is nothing to sneeze at, puddle!
I hope you have lots of provisions and are just going to let it melt. I imagine it's heavy wet snow, this time of year, so don't go out shoveling, okay?
* ♡ * ♡ * ♡ * ♡ * ♡ * ♡ * ♡ * ♡ * ♡ *
♡ ♡ ♡ Shirlee, I do not like the sound of an infection at the cancer site. Infections are exhausting and often painful. It does my heart good to hear that you continue to have such good care!! Glad, too, that the snow there didn't stay.
We had blue sky and sunshine for five days straight, then today we had soft silver cloud haze but no snow.
They say we could get a dusting to two inches overnight.
Stay snug! ♡
My MINI is in the shop. Monday as I headed to NH, about a mile from my house I needed to turn left onto a side street. The oncoming pickup truck went first and I followed, and all seemed well until for no apparent reason the truck slowed way down as I began to turn in behind it, forcing me to make a little bit wider turn to compensate. My front right tire slightly rode up on a snowbank, but it didn't seem any big deal. However, almost immediately my 'low windshield wash' light came on, despite my having filled it the evening before. Sure enough, it turns out the plastic container for the windshield wash needs to be replaced. Sigh. It'll arrive tomorrow, so my poor MINI has to sit outside at the shop all night, and I get to pay $200 because that guy slowed down so much and we've had so much snow. Phooey.
But, as life goes, it's small stuff.
Pretty much plan to let it melt. Neighbor with plow is coming tomorrow to do the road and parking space. *Always* have plenty of provisions, lol! But hope to avoid a kipper snack sammie. . . .
No funsies with infections, Shirlee. Sending light.
Elmer came before noon, and I'm dug out. Yay!!! Wish I'd known he was gonna be that late, lol! I was up by nine. Am now exhausted.
Wishing you rest, Puddle.
Shirlee, it's wonderful to hear from you. I say a prayer for you every day. I read a Wendell Berry article in the April Sun Magazine where he says that love is immortal.
Love to you and Brenda.
Hi Listener, how annoying, but glad it wasn't worse. In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, the snow packs were so high after plowing they put flags on top of them.
Hi Barb.
About mid sixties today, and tomorrow, maybe snow. Ah, Colorado.
With respect to Trump's choice of Bolton to replace MacMasters I can't think of a worse choice. He was an embarrassment when he represented us at the United Nations under Bush W. I can't think of more confrontational, inept, repulsive choices than Trump has made, an affront to the whole country. Ugh.
Hope your day is good tomorrow.
Rest all you need, dear puddle. ♥
Wow, Pat! That's too much snow!
My car is still in the shop, because the storm that just hit New England interfered with transportation. Sigh.
Hopefully the part will arrive tomorrow.
We are heading to Montpelier on Saturday for the March For Our Lives.
Our son who lives in the area will join us!
Instead of bringing a protest sign, I'm going to bring my camera.
No snow overnight after all. Now they're saying maybe Saturday night.
{{{ ♡ Shirlee ♡ }}}
lovely graphic, Puddle.
So good to see all of you ladies here. Shirlee, so sad to hear of your troubles. Thankful for Brenda's help. {{{ ♡ Shirlee ♡ }}}
So freaking out about Boulton. those of you who remember JC may remember the graphic she mad of Mz Chickie Pie Little with a Boulton mustache. Was funny. She apologized, but said she couldn't help herself. I printed it out and it still hangs on my political wall with all my friends from way back. I have so much of JC's stuff. Demetrius' too.
Love to you all.
{{{ ♥ JC ♥ }}}
My MINI is all fixed and ready!!! YAYYYYY!!!!
Plus I found a "mad bomber" style Hanna Andersson hat on Ebay and it came today in time for the March For Our Lives tomorrow! We are expecting a little snow during the March, so this will really help.
Good day.
BARB! Check out this website of JC's Designs LIVE! It includes your car.
And be sure to note that the IMPEACHMENT bumper sticker would be perfect right now!!
OOPS! HERE it is:
http://jcdesignslive.blogspot.com
More JC's Designs here:
http://jcdesigns.blogspot.com
Still lotsa snow. Road that was plowed, melted down to dirt. But two huge piles of snow on my iris/day-lily gardens on either side of the road.
Nice little bit with da boy before I let him out a bit ago. I asked him where his bone was. He stopped, looked around, then looked up the stairs. I said fetch a bone. He looked up again, but didn't move. So I stepped back, and repeated myself. And he ran right up the stairs and brought back the bone, and I let him out, bone in mouth. He wuz soooo pleased wit himownself, I couldn't help but laugh!
Main phone line out, this one just up, but shakey. Jebus, I'm tired of this.
Hi Puddle,
I don't blame you for being tired of the phone situation. It seems to go on and on, definitely tedious. Hope it's resolved soon.
A smile for Beau. It's wonderful when they communicate. I read in an old National Geographic that it took 14000 years to domesticate wolves into dogs. I'm wondering if it's not going to take much more time to domesticate humans.
Hi Shirlee. Thinking of you, hoping you are pain free.
Thanks for the links, Listener, and hope your car will be repaired soon. Three cheers for you tomorrow. Will be thinking of you.
Well, off to read a bit.
Holy Moly, puddle. Those peeps ought to just start a new line from Telephone Central and run it clean up to your house and have done with it!! They can't seem to keep the current one intact, and that you may tie to!!
GOOD BOY, BEAU! wOOf!
Spinnaker sure communicated today! Not long into a spiritual guidance meeting she made it clear by meowing that she wanted to to go out. I ignored her at first hoping she'd nap instead. But she came right up to me, got up on her hindies and insisted! So there was no help for it. Fortunately the seeker I was sitting with has sheep and understands about animals' needs. Silly Spinny was out and in three times and got the kitty zooms into the bargain. It's usually Mizzen who wants attention during meetings, but for all three meetings today she stayed upstairs and slept!
As my granddaughter says, "You can't make cats do stuff." π
Sean Cleland > The Wendell Berry Society
Thoughts from a Day of Protest:
“Protest that endures, I think, is moved by a hope far more modest than that of public success: namely, the hope of preserving qualities in one’s own heart and spirit that would be destroyed by acquiescence.”
- A Poem of Difficult Hope, from What Are People For?
On Friday, the Vermont House members deliberated for 10 hours, then passed a Gun Restrictions bill. It didn't go as far as I would have liked, but made some great strides.
https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/2018/03/23/vermont-house-votes-gun-restrictions/33225139/
Our rally in Montpelier was well attended, and so supportive of our young people! Politicians were asked not to speak, and the focus was on the teens speaking. They did amazingly well! Bernie and Peter Welch were there on the Statehouse steps lending the support of their presence. Our state legislators, who had just passed a bill the day before, were powerfully cheered. At the end of the rally, the crowd chanted "Bernie! Bernie! Bernie!" Bernie simply walked up to the microphone and waved. And it is surely to his credit.
On Sunday I woke with a granddaughter on the premises. Then we went off to visit a Sugar House, and the entirety of The Fam in Vermont came along. So that was good and fun.
My plan is to enjoy temps in the 40's this week, and to watch the weather closely for next weekend. We hope to be in Maine with loved ones, but there is a real chance of a significant storm in New England (yes, another) for Passover, which is also Easter Eve. Heh.
Meanwhile, two more roofers coming to make quotes on our roof. Childcare tomorrow and a spiritual guidance meeting, more of same for Tuesday and Thursday, plus Tai Chi class. A retreat day (no matter what) on Wednesday. And on Friday, if all goes well, packing. Somehow in the midst of all of that, I need to decorate a bunch of candles and think what to bring to the grands.
I need a vacation!
Main phone was out for about 14 hours today. On now. Praying this strike ends soon. Solace calls from India are NOT doing it.
This was mea culpa. Beau's loose, has been for a bit. I let him out thinking I'd hooked up his cable. I had not. He wandered right past my neighbor clearing my culverts, and on. I hollered to her, but she didn't hear until he was almost to the main road. Asking for prayers, light, good thoughts, whatever ya got.
It gets worse: Oh, cripes. I forgot! His ID bone which usually is on his collar got taken off last week because it got entangled with the cable clip. I couldn't get it back on! Double dirty damn!
Boy's home, belly full of icicles (so he went swimming!), and upstairs, asleep. Thank you all!!!
Thank Goodness. So relieved. Yes, you deserve a vacation, Listener. Hi Shirlee. I hope your day is good. Hi Barb. Snow coming down here. Take care dear friends.
So happy that Beau is home, Paddle...if wet! Thank you all for your good wishes...good news
about the. Infection...it is beginning to heal. Nurse checks it twice a week and they taught Brenda
How to clean and care for wound. Good wishes to all.
Ah Beau, you silly Boy! Even if you didn't have the sense to stay home, I'm so glad you had the sense to come back home. There's nothing like knowing where your food bowl and warm bed are! wOOf! πΎ
Beau was still damp at bedtime, but dry this morning. Seems still a bit subdued. I’m guessing the jaunt wasn’t as much fun as he thought it was going to be.
Shirlee, glad glad glad the infection is being handled and is ameliorating. Stay warm and happy. Think about you alla time.
Former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens calls for a repeal of the Second Amendment. Former Supreme Court Justice Warren Burger says, if he were writing the Bill of Rights, he wouldn't include it.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/repealing-the-second-amendment-–-is-it-even-possible/ar-BBKMVCX?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=DELLDHP17
Yes. The Second Amendment is obsolete, doesn't serve, and has become a ground for ideology, aggression, and insanity.
Thanks for posting that, Listener.
After David died, Molly was behaving strangely. I called her one afternoon after I let her out but she wouldn't come to me. I eventually went to her and brought her to the house by holding onto her collar. The next morning when I let her out, she was gone for over an hour, something that had never happened before. I was worried, distraught. It was cold out; it had snowed. She eventually came back though I have no idea where she went. I think she was angry with me and decided to leave, and then returned. I know the feeling of losing a loved dog. I think they know a great deal and have a variety of emotions. I'm glad she forgave me and decided to return.
Thinking of you all.
It's snowing. Darn. But, we need the moisture. Spring, where are you hiding?
Hurrah for healing, Shirlee! Sending more healing vibes your way!! ♡
Pat, you are correct that dogs really feel a loss. Maybe Molly misbehaving (and toward you) was a cry for help to the person most available and known. She must have been so confused and sad. How could she understand? You two probably had that in common in some ways.
What pets have you now?
Hi Listener,
I have Molly Magee, a Border Collie Bouvier mix. She came from the Humane Society. She'd never been in a house, was one of a litter of 12 belonging to a rancher in Rawlins, Wyoming. She's about 9 years old now and a very sweet, if timid, dog.
Then I have Winter the cat. David was his dude, sat in his office every day and on David's lap when he watched TV. Winter is a Siamese, though doesn't have the brown markings, is all white. He now sits on my lap whenever he can, yowls at 3 in the morning, likes a spoonful of dog food when I prepare Molly's morning food.
So, they are my babies, and I'm grateful to have them
Yes, Shirlee, so glad for healing and hoping your day was good.
Puddle, darn that phone, but you certainly have the persistence and endurance when it comes to the phone situation.
About 5 inches of wet heavy snow here.
damn. blogger just ate an important, complicated post instead of posting it. I don't have the heart to re-do it.
Awww, puddle. I hate it when that happens!!!
This will lighten your day...
Craigslist DC: Seeking Lead Attorney for Difficult Client
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/lgl/d/seeking-lead-attorney-for/6544195570.html
Pat, thank you for the story of your pets! I commiserate about the 3am yowling!! Our Mizzen has been known to come up the stairs in the middle of the night with a toy mouse in her mouth, calling to us all the way, so proud of her catch and wanting us all to come see! Spinnaker's forte is to get so excited when I'm getting in bed that she tramples over poor Bill, meowing in joy all the way. No amount of shushing quells her enthusiasm or volume! They are both beyond me! Ha!
But for all that, or pets are sweet, and cuddly, and soft and ... necessary.
*our* pets, that is.
Hi Firends,
an old poem I found as I was looking through files:
Life Changes
So much has to do
With hope, the sense
Of light, of kindness
And goodness, and beauty
Now that we can be
Aware, sit for a while
Talk to a friend. Before
Our lives were a scurrying
Racing across the meadow
Chased by hawks, searching
For sustenance, a place,
Watching, moving, gathering.
What to do now that we haven’t
The need to leap to the tree
Bounding from branch to branch
Finding nuts and hiding them.
What’s an old squirrel to do?
π⭐️π YES!!! π⭐️π
The Vermont Senate narrowly passed expansive gun legislation today.
https://vtdigger.org/2018/03/30/senate-narrowly-passes-expansive-gun-legislation/
In addition to S.55, which sets restrictions on guns, a "red flag" bill, S.221, received final approval in the House on Friday morning, and a domestic violence bill, H.422, passed a third and final reading later in the day in Senate.
Republican Gov. Phil Scott says he will sign all three bills into law after his attorneys review the legislation for possible technical errors.
I LOVE VERMONT!!!
As I understand it, the one thing I really wanted wasn't included, which is an assault weapons ban. But these are huge strides for the state that had the most lax gun laws until now.
Happy Easter. It feels like a new year today of hope, of recognition, of willingness to speak for change, for ethics, for care of the earth and all its inhabitants.
Hello to you, Shirlee, Listener, Puddle, and Barb.
A bit of snow here, but blue sky emerging. Off to join family for an Easter feast in Fort Collins.
We are home from Maine after a WONDERFUL weekend with the kids and grands!! We got to help our eldest granddaughter gather sap from 19 maple tree buckets. 2 of them are in their yard. The other 17 are all over the neighbourhood. With their neighbours' permission, our son and granddaughter gather the sap every day. Then they boil it down to maple syrup over their home made backyard fire ring, in a special evaporator they had made special for them in Vermont. Then they distribute the maple syrup, free, to all the neighbours whose trees they tapped. And we got a big jar of it to bring home too!
We went to the Easter Vigil on Saturday evening. I thought the lay reader/chalice bearer seemed familiar, but we've attended there with family from time to time for many years. But! After the service she came up to me, clearly recalled me from an event many years ago, as we were both at the ordination of her best friend (from age 3!), for whom I had served as spiritual guide. That was sweet. But then she tried to convince me to come and lead a retreat for them. I told her the last 2 retreats I tried to lead I lost my voice, and I considered that "a sign." LOL! But she then told the priest that I am "a renowned retreat leader"~!! I just laughed and explained to him that I have lead maybe 2 retreats. I was also uncomfortable about being contacted to lead a retreat at my daughter's church, not knowing how that would seem to her, and how it might reflect on her, for good or ill. I hope I left that in a good place, but I feel unsettled.
There was a big neighbourhood-wide Egg Hunt at our kids' house this morning. That was fun to observe. And their chickens left a fresh Easter egg as well! Ha!
Hi Listener, thank you for sharing your weekend with us. And, the sap collecting is inspirational. That's community.
About the request that you lead a retreat, sometimes people are so enthusiastic that they don't think about the pressure they are putting on people. I can understand your feeling unsettled, but again, it was a positive image the person held of you.
I had a wonderful time at my daughter-in-law's parents' home. To see and talk to and hug the five grand girls brought joy that I haven't experienced in a long time. They are delightful, so individual, happy, healthy, creative, and I can only be grateful. Our highway was open and it only took a little more than an hour each way.
Today, cool, but no snow. Have a good day, dear friends.
I watched Jesus Christ Superstar on NBC last night. The costuming and stage were really grungy, punky, and the singing, dancing, and staging exuberant, aggressive. It really felt like the bowels of an inner city, and it was powerful. The music is amazing and this production was unlike anything I've ever seen.
Ah, Pat, that you for your very thoughtful messages.
Hurrah for a day without snow! And the road open!!! And hugs from Grand Girls!! How old are they?
You make a good point. I suppose that in a way it was the woman's favourable impression of me that unsettled me. Had she not thought much of me it would have been easier to step back from her request. I felt badly to have to correct her assertion in front of her priest, but I didn't create that scenario, so have let it go.
As a teen, I LOVED the music of Jesus Christ Superstar and I'm sure I still know all the songs. Later, as a seeker then seminarian, I kept seeing how very poor the theology is in that production. It's what happens when highly creative people offer gorgeous music and lyrics about something they know too little about. I think what bugs me most is that assertion that Jesus wanted Judas to do the deed and that he was seeking self aggrandisement. My church youth group got together one Sunday and we were going to listen to the recording with our very learned youth group leader. (He had studied Talmud and more as a Jewish man, then converted to Christianity; so he was far more learned that the average youth group leader.) However, I think his plan was to show us the theological errors in the production. But we were all grooving to the music and not in a listening mode. So he quit the while endeavor in less than a half hour. How I still wish he hadn't.
So, I think I am catching Grandson's miserable cold. Phooey. I don't have wiggle room in which to get sick this week...!
Hi ladies! Brenda here writing for mom.
She says "Hi, and never fear, she's still here". Just not feeling up to working on the iPad today.
Still dodging some intestinal issues and tired, but we have some lovely daffodils in our living room to gaze upon. Plus the bird feeder outside the window is very popular with the Cardinals, a red headed wood pecker and several varieties of small birds.
Listener..mom wants to know what do you do as a spiritual guide? Is it one-on-one or with groups? Curious minds want some details!
Wishing you all the best as spring blossoms in your neighborhood.
Love to all.
Shirlee. ( and Brenda)
Thank you most warmly, Brenda! ♥ I heard a White-Throated Sparrow today for the first time this year!! It is my favorite bird call. This means the birds have come back to the valley and are soon to go up into the mountains. So that's showing a little Spring progress!
When I offer spiritual guidance, I usually meet one to one with a seeker who would like to delve deeper in their relationship with the Holy. In the past, I have met with small groups (there is a gentle process for this, designed by the Shalem Institute in Maryland), and for a time I met with a couple.
We begin with silence, then I offer a brief prayer to bridge us from the depth of silence to speaking, but always the idea is to remain prayerful during the meeting. For me, it means leaning into God as I listen to someone tell of their experiences. I'm listening not so much for the details of what they are telling me, but for the Aha that nudges me to pay attention to something in particular. I might ask more about it or highlight it in some way.
The seeker already has the wisdom they need inside them, my part is to bear witness to what is happening in their journey and at times offer a Word or consideration for them to mull. More often than not, my part is to help them trust something that happened as being real and to help them savour it.
It is very different than counseling, as it is not focused on fixing anything or even on offering advice. As my friend Jerry May used to say:
Wondering how to get out of the situation you are in is the realm of psychological counseling.
Wondering what Got would have you learn from this is the realm of pastoral care.
Wondering how to offer yourself to God in the midst of whatever is going on, difficult or joyful alike, is the realm of spiritual guidance.
It's very gentle, amateur (which means "of the heart"), and the seeker ALWAYS owns the discernment.
I hope this helps. Please tell Shirlee I am happy to have more questions. Thank you for keeping Shirlee present in our midst. She is so well loved here and updates really help.
Oopsy! Got = God
Thank you Brenda and Shirlee. We think of you daily, and the peace in your livingroom is beautiful, and the delight of birds at the feeder. Listener, thank you. What a healing and peaceful practice and how much needed by many of us. I will reread your description of the goals and process.
Windy here again today. Skies pale, a feeling of winter reluctant to be displaced by spring. Molly dog isn't feeling well, walks slowly, won't eat. I'm going to call our vet to morrow. I hope she will be all right. She's 10 years old this year.
Did some reading today and vacuuming. Not much more than that.
It's good to be with you.
Mmmm. I like the sound of a day of reading and some vacuuming. I look forward to more days like that.
I spent Monday and Tuesday marathoning on decorating a candle for my dearest friend who, after 20 years of attending, will be Received in the Episcopal Church on the 15th of this month. I am unable to travel and be present for the service (it's two states away), but she is coming for a flying visit in early June. Meanwhile, I wanted to send her a candle for the service. It is about a foot tall and 2 1/2" wide, created to be an altar candle in a large church of cathedral.
The decoration necessarily takes up half the height of the candle, so to cover the vertical imprint that tells that the candle is made of 55% beeswax. My friend has Eastern Orthodox leanings. So I divided the design into three parts, and began by making three lancets (like little church windows). One lancet has a Byzantine cross with a flowering vine up it, and a yellow Swallowtail Butterfly atop the cross. (Swallowtails are found both in North America and in the Holy Land.) There is a Lily to one side and Clover and a rock to the other. The second lancet has an icon (yes, in wax!), of Madonna and Child with a Christmas Star above them. Mary is holding the Baby Jesus in her arms, and he's a little baby, not a half grown man-child. The third lancet has an icon of Christ Pantocrator, holding an open book. Instead of the usual three Greek letters positioned in Christ's halo, I used the letters "I AM." There is a lamb to the front of him, and above him is a Celtic knot symbol of Trinity. My favourite detail is the last thing I added to the candle. There is a nest built in the valley between the Madonna and Child and the Christ lancets, and in it are three tiny eggs.
I am also sending her a leather Prayer Book and Hymnal combination with her name imprinted on it in gold. So, I'd say she's covered. π
Today I got a much needed haircut and cleaned out the Linen Closet, which needed it even more than I needed a haircut! Ha!
Tomorrow is THE BIG DAY!! I have refrained from overt sugar of every kind for 89 days, and tomorrow on Day 90 is my annual checkup and an A1c test, as well as cholesterol test. I can hardly wait for the results! I probably won't have those until Monday or later, but once that test is done I am free to have one long-awaited small ice cream sundae. Ha! I won't bring sweets into the house and I plan to keep on eating well. But now and then it would be nice to have a treat.
* large church OR cathedral
Oh, I do remember at one particularly painful point in my life, looking up, and saying with a good bit of exasperation, Would YOU *please* tell me what I'm supposed to be learning here--I *really* do not want to do this again!
Brenda, I should have added that the way author Jeannette Bakke expresses it is this:
A Christian counselor might say "I will be with you, for God's sake."
But a spiritual guide says, "I will be with God, for your sake."
The difference is vital.
Shirlee and Brenda--keeping you both in my heart, wrapped in my love.
Today was my annual checkup. It went great!
BP 112/70
I had lost 12.4lbs since my last visit.
I won't get the results of the cholesterol and A1c blood tests until sometime next week, but I'm optimistic.
On the down side, I'm in the queue for a routine colonoscopy. At least I was able to get a referral to a different doc for that than last time. Last time he wrote "patient tolerated pain well" but I strongly disagree! So she's sending me to a doc everybody seems to love. And she told me to tell them this happened last time, so they will take extra care.
Now if somebody could come up with a better prep!! I was told the prep now involves Gatorade and I made it clear that I am unwilling to take a sugar drink after all this time of being so careful! I mean, you clean out your system and the first thing you're going to feed it is sugar and food colouring? Not gonna do it.
Sixties today, snow tonight and tomorrow. I remember a lot of April snows as a child, no so much here.
HI Friends,
We got about 4 inches of snow, and it's still clouded over, but I'm glad that's all we got. I'm sorry that your colonoscopy was painful, Listener, and yes, tell them what happened. Mine wasn't, though it is an uncomfortable exam. So much of our growing up had to do with modesty, and then we have such things as pelvic exams, breast exams, etc. Well, all for the ongoing effort to live and be healthy.
My dog Molly is ill. I cleaned up diarrhea this morning and called the vet. She has an appointment on Monday. I don't know what the problem is.
And so we go on. My love to you Shirlee and Brenda and Listener, Puddle, and Barb.
Ohhh, Pat. I'm sad that Molly is ill. It can be so demoralizing for an older dog to have their gut not cooperate. I hope it's something simple like worms, and easily fixed, and not something more serious.
So true about the immodesties we are subjected to for our well being. How I wish we already had some of the diagnostics and treatments found in Star Trek!!
These past few days have brought much catawumpusness.
Since early February, we've been looking forward to a visit from my cousins from KS and CT, who were to be staying with us Monday through Wednesday this coming week. So we bought tickets, also back in February, to take them to Celtic Woman on Tuesday night. However, CT cousin's husband went into hospital with a potentially serious ailment. So their trip had to be postponed.
So I'm trying to sell the tickets (we wouldn't have been going but for taking them out, and could go but it won't be the same without them). Last night one guy inquired, then backed out. Later last night someone inquired and I was to call them at 10am. I called but they weren't there yet. That person then backed out too. The third person just bought two of the tickets.
So, remember me saying my dearest friend was being received in the Episcopal Church, so I made the elaborate candle for her and had a Prayer Book - Hymnal stamped in gold with her name? An hour before the candle arrived at her home, she got word that the service at which she would be Received has to be postponed...until next February!! [Seriously? Does the Church really treat potential members this way? Has the Church lost its mind?] And I heard the news just after hearing that the newly stamped book was ready. Heh.
Well, at least I got to be on the phone with my Friend while she opened the box to see the candle for the first time! Big hit! I told her that, as it was Eastern Orthodox Good Friday, to go ahead and consider it a gift for Orthodox Easter! Ha! (She has strong Orthodox leanings.)
And I learned that the gold used to stamp her name onto the black leather is 22k gold Wow.
Plus, I got word that the domain name I used for a website and still use for an email address expired yesterday. I had tried several times in the past month to make it through the "menu" of how to pay for another year and never quite managed it. Then I forgot! Anyway, after much trial and error, by some thanks from my computer savvy Youngest, I was finally back up and running by lunchtime. =Whew!=
I hope that all of this at least means that the technology world is giving you a rest, Pat! ♡
The candles are amazing, Listener. What a beautiful and cherished gift.
At this stage, life is before is all its variations, and there are so many. I've been thinking that I will remain calm and recognize that it's all complicated, intricate, and far beyond any control or ability for me to make conclusions. I will try to appreciate every day, even the difficult ones.
Thank you, Listener, for your sharing.
"I will try to appreciate every day, even the difficult ones."
Thank you for this, Pat. What a teaching. And so very timely for me. My cousin in CT whose husband is in hospital is my age. My husband and I are healthy. Today we are learning that a SIL on Bill's side of the family, who is also my age, has swiftly worsening medical issues.
There is something about them both being my age that brings a different sort of ache. Prayers redouble. It isn't that I am fearing for my own well being (I am not), or offering gratitude for my well being (though that is understood). It's a deep sorrow that these truly good women have it so hard so young. That they are my age writes it large in my consciousness.
New thread!!
Yes, Listener, I empathize with your sorrow. I too have friends with illnesses and I pray for them every day. I pray to accept our lives and the sorrow and pain that comes with living and try to understand that courage, compassion, love accompany us all the way.
Post a Comment