Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Gone but not forgotten...


77 comments:

puddle said...

Howard's still very most first like. . . .

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/11/opinion/the-bush-white-house-was-deaf-to-9-11-warnings.html?_r=2&ref=opinion

whitznd said...

And Bush is last.

Shirlee in NC said...

That was a horrible day--and I do remember several NPR news reports about Bush getting the warnings and brushing them off.

Brenda and I spent this afternoon at Greensboro Orthopedics
consulting about a funky toe problem--from RA etc.
Now,I need to decide if I want to have that second toe amputated to prevent a more serious infection problem. I have already had several foot surgeries-and I remember nothing but
pain for weeks. Not jumping into it--anybody here ever have a toe amputated? Well, I guess this can be a medical advice place also??

puddle said...

But, but, but. . . .
'Eight years was awesome, and I was famous and I was powerful. But I have no desire for fame and power anymore,' said the ex-president to the Hoover Institute's Peter Robinson.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2175516/George-W-Bush-Being-president-awesome--wants-quiet-life-now.html

puddle said...

I haven't, Shirlee, but I did have a very good friend, with a very good podiatrist, who had many removed. She had spina bifida, and the way her toes reacted with the world, she had constant infections. They were very concerned about gangrene. . . . She didn't seem to be in great pain, but that was part of the problem to begin with: reduced feeling allowed her to get them in trouble all the time. It did affect her balance though once she'd reached a certain point. Do not rush. Try a couple of consults with docs you trust. . . .

puddle said...

Jo, hope your Mom is doing better, and it gets settled for the good. Hard stuff.

Shirlee in NC said...

Thanks, Puddle for the foot info--this must be the week for daughters tending to aging Moms, Jo, Brenda, and her work partner, Peggy.
Many thanks to them all!

puddle said...

Totally pooped. Off to bed. Love you all.

puddle said...

Boy, talk about negative bounce. . . .

The Republican National Conventional appears to have turned voters off. That’s the result of a CNN/ORC poll that asked, “Does what you saw or read of the Republican National Convention in Tampa make you more likely or less likely to vote for Mitt Romney?” The “less likelies” were ahead of the “more likelies” by ten percentage points.

http://www.mahablog.com/2012/09/10/a-new-age-of-liberalism/

puddle said...

Romney: It’s their administration. Their administration has spoke.


***HAS SPOKE***? Good Lord.


Something about those kids who get into college because their daddies give big bucks to the schools. . . .

Shirlee in NC said...

Entitlement, arrogance
and just plain out of it seems to be the Romney way. (In addition to not paying attention in English class.)

Cranbrook has a beautiful campus--but I sure don't remember any great Michigan leaders coming from there.

Anonymous said...

Popping in.

The following is important citizen action:

http://action.firedoglake.com/page/s/debate-call

Call the CPD Now:
Let Third Party
Candidates Debate

There are only a few weeks before the first presidential debate.

Unfortunately, without third-party candidates to push President Obama and Mitt Romney to address many critical issues that they would rather avoid, these debates will likely lack any real substance to the American voter.

The presidential debates are critical moments in the campaign that should give voters a real chance to scrutinize each candidates' vision for the country. The Commission on Presidential Debates has a responsibility provide voters with the fullest picture possible by including third party candidates to force those who can win to publicly answer tough questions.

Can you call the Commission on Presidential Debates and ask them to allow third party candidates to debate?

Can't call now? Chip in $10+ and we'll run online ads recruiting supporters to our call campaign.

FYI

"Obama and me went..." Good Lord! (quote by Michelle, and I got hammered on the old blog for pointing out her flawed grammar.

Anonymous said...

Correction:

It was: "Barack and me went..."

Jo_in_Vermont said...

I am assuming (hah!) that this is seashell. and I would ask, what questions has Obama ever avoided? bet you don't have a fricking clue, you're just reposting fdl's plea. me, I wouldn't mind third party candidates in the debates but I think it's really up to the moderator to 'ask questions' and push them for answers.

and by the way, everyone makes mistakes when typing, not so cool when they're talking, lol! it's all in the intent. speaking of which, what is your intent for coming here with yuor plea? don't you have enough like-minded individuals you can go to? since you are so SURE that we all have nothing on common with you or that I'll delete your messages (never done that) or all of the other dastardly things you have accused me of. you had a chance when I set up this blog to be a kind person, join in and see what happens. instead you insulted me day after day. GO AWAY SEASHELL.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

sorry for being harsh my friends but that dumb bitch can't post once w/o insulting the President or his wife. she has a problem and I don't plan on feeding it.

(yeah, that's a personal insult. so sue me!)

puddle said...

Here ya go, sea:

We have a campaign for Presidency of the United States that are speaking

Most of America is confused about the X and I, X and me. Always has been. I gave up on it years ago.

puddle said...

Hi, Jo, didn't see you there. Well said. ♥

puddle said...

Google's not helping you, sea:

No results found for "Barack and me went...".
Results for Barack and me went... (without quotes):

puddle said...

On the other hand, there's *this* which is correct usage. . . .

. . . .and a date night for Barack and me was either dinner or a movie, because as an . . . .

Sure you got your quotes straight?

puddle said...

Voice of the Tea Party. . . .

"What else turn our country into what kind of government they have in Russia and that is communisiom."

puddle said...

BTW, as for third parties at the debates: just sound and fury on the public dime. See neither need nor reason.

puddle said...

Finally reached 70ยบ -- first time in about a week. Nice to be able to have the door open.

whitznd said...

Sunny, but cold here. :o(

puddle said...

Gonna be warmer tomorrow, Barb, cheer up!

Can't believe it's *full dark* at eight!! And then I remember that equinox is next week -- why would I be surprised? The Great Wheel of the Year. Just that as I age, I deal less well both with the rotten heat AND the rotten cold, alas.

Shirlee in NC said...

I sure agree with you about the weather, Puddle--although I can tolerate heat more than cold. This mid-east coast climate seems to be a compromise. But here in GSO, at least both spring and fall allergy seasons last for months!

Interesting that anon can't stay away!

puddle said...

My dad used to point out that for the Norsemen, it was impossible to imagine Hell as too hot. . . . So of course, *theirs* wasn't. . . .

As for anon -- shirt stirrers like to stir shit?

listener said...

My strongest memory of the attacks in New York is watching it unfold on television and when the second plane hit the second building, I went weak in the knees and fell to my knees...which immediately seemed the appropriate place to be.

I had an exhausting day! Whoo! Got up early to meet the fence guys, weeded ahead of them under the fence area, which my neighbour had not tended. Met the compost and mulch delivery guy when he came. Got some work done around the house, then went to work at the Library. Came home and shoveled compost, moving 8 wheelbarrows full of it to the garden. Sweetie did the rest. Tonight we went out for supplies, then I came home to a gift from my dearest friend. Though she has been in the throes of starting breast cancer treatments, ahe made time to knit me a gorgeous thin, blue shawl! The gift is all the more amazing as it's the first thing she had knitted in months, having had to stop for awhile (doctor's orders) due to a muscle issue. I am so deeply grateful, I'm in awe!! ♥

puddle said...

Funny, really -- I try not to go to bed before midnight, because the righties rule radio till midnight (when the space alien peeps take over). All things considered, I prefer the space alien peeps. . . .

Shirlee in NC said...

For Listener--I have from the GSO library--
'The Founding of America'--It is a 5dvd set which was originally a History Channel series. Excellent--a great refresher course for any of us. There is also Benjamin Franklin's autobiography on audiobook. That classic work seems even better when someone is reading it TO you!

And good morning to
everyone--looks to be a lovely day here.

puddle said...

*Love* librarians, lol! Go to it, you two! And thinking what a BIG place libraries have played in my life -- from book loving grandparents and parents to a house with too many books. Being little, and discovering THE Encyclopedia at the library, and then discovering that *we* had one at home, too. . . . heaven! Places to *find out stuff* -- same reason, really, I love computers and google, et al.

One of the things I *loved* about being Mormon was the concept that one never ever stopped growing and learning; not for all of eternity. Never quite got the stasis theory of heaven -- where one just goes and sits still loving Godde and being loved. Forever. Loving/learning/doing will forever be coupled in my head/soul.

Beautiful day here -- bright, sunny, cool. I'll take it!

Pat said...

Good Morning, well, actually it's noon here.

We went to the opening of the Democratic Headquarters in Estes Park last night, and there were so many people, we had to stand outside. People brought food, casseroles, cookies, soft drinks, tea, and it was thrilling to see the numbers. Yea! We didn't stay long because it was so crowded, but I did get my Women for Obama sticker.

This Saturday, I will go into Estes Park and canvas. I still don't want to make phone calls, but I don't mind going door to door.

There's so much misinformation, distortion, lies, and hatred pervading blogs and other media outlets that it gives me chills. To think that our government couldn't become as evil and oppressive as Nazi Germany, Franco's Spain, Mussolini's Italy, Mao's China, Stalin's Russia and others is to be blind to how much damage hatred, lies, and prejudice does.

Another note: as my husband remarked, Romney is sounding more and more like Sarah Palin. Hopefully, that will be a detractor, but who knows.

Have a good day, folks.

whitznd said...

Some good advice for folks when they are taken in by Romney's smile is to put your hand over the smile and just look at the eyes. They look like snakes. They are NOT smiling.

Shirlee in NC said...

Thanks, Barb--I had wondered WHAT there is about his face that was--odd!

puddle said...

Maha's take, today, on Mitt ~~

He wanted to portray the President as alien to America. I think we should demand Mitt’s birth certificate to be sure he’s from planet Earth.

Via Kevin Drum, Andrew Sprung writes,

You do not have to be expert in anything to assess the merit of Romney’s reaction — or his fitness for the presidency. You need only be a social mammal of the human species.

In response to everything Obama does or says — or, for that matter, anything his primary opponents did or said — Romney’s reaction is so knee-jerk condemnatory, so extravagantly worded, so predictably self-serving that the instinctive response for most listeners or readers not themselves besotted with hatred for the target has got to be, “this guy is faking it.” His condemnations have the rote extravagance of a Soviet communique.


At the very least, Mitt appears to be very, very bad at “reading” people and situations and responding appropriately. And this points to something very deficient in basic socialization — I started to say “character,” but it’s something even deeper than character. I don’t know if there’s a name for what Mitt’s problem is, but he appears to be miswired somehow.

puddle said...

Some poems of Phil's at baby

puddle said...

Lol!

Anonymous said...

Shirley, please don't flatter yourself. I come here once every month or two to post s/t I think all of us can agree on.

OTOH, puddle posts frequently on our new blog, which is designed for people who want something other than the corrupt duopoly.

Keeping the debates closed to just two parties is a death knell for democracy.

CU in a month or two. :-)

Sea

Shirlee in NC said...

Love Phil's poetry--thanks Puddle.

Early love for books came for me from my Grandmother's chock-full, old fashioned bookcase. A very easy going Grandmother--she let us do whatever we wanted. I pulled those old books out and paged through them by the hour. I know now most of them came from her grandparents who were only a couple of generations out of Ulster--good Presbyterians!!!
When I discovered as a kid in Dearborn Mi that there were LIBRARIES--I was hooked forever.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

"... OTOH, puddle posts frequently on our new blog, which is designed for people who want something other than the corrupt duopoly."

are you saying that you only want people who agree with your opinions to post there. so much for your oft-screeched comments about stifling free speech! lol!

GO AWAY - you can't even comment w/o insulting Shirley. be gone witch.

Shirlee in NC said...

Oh-ho!!!!!

Shirlee in NC said...

Good night all--back to Ben Franklin!

puddle said...

It's *Rich's* blog. He and I have a history that goes back to the First DeanFest. He's honest. We don't agree on many things, but I always respect him. He *asked* me to join, so I did. I try pretty hard not to be disruptive or rude. Though guess who's already accused me of attacking her because I suggested that a link she'd posted didn't go where it claimed to go? Interestingly, I don't hear *him* using words like "corrupt duopoly" or "death knell." But that's Rich.

And ya, Shirlee, my grandparents too. I don't remember them at all, or hardly at all. My grandfather died when I was four, and I have a couple of memories, but Grandmother Larsen died the year I was a year old and I don't have any of her. What I do have is their Encyclopedia, and my father's love of books, and "right" knowing. Read pretty much everything in their book case, and branched out from there. Remember me and my next brothers in bed with Mama while she read books we'd picked out at the library. And that was when a trip to the library meant a bus ride. But REAL libraries, with floor to ceiling books! Heaven. . . .

Political grandfather story: he was walking toward the polling place to vote when he was approached by someone in attempt to get him to vote for X. He was *pissed*! He said, If I didn't already know who I was voting for and why, I shouldn't BE here at all!

puddle said...

Night, Shirlee, under the wing. I'll be joining you shortly, lol! The kid's coming tomorrow, and I've a big clean up day ahead. He should visit more often: I wouldn't get so far behind. . . .

Shirlee in NC said...

Good (late) Morning, All. Question--who are the evangelical Christians who believe that the Mormons are a cult going to vote for this year? Will be interesting to see of politics trumps religion or not.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

good morning Shirlee! good question! my guess is that since they think Obama is the anti-Christ they will vote Mormon or stay home.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

good luck with your projects today puddle! and how are those muscles feeling today listener? that sounds like a marathon!!!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

haha puddle the internet is now my encyclopedia as well. I wore out some pages on ours - according to my Mom I was pulling them out to read up on things as soon as I could read - at 5 yrs old! and I do remember them being really heavy when I was that small so I dragged a book to where I wanted to sit on the floor and read. it was a bit of a struggle when I used the one that had the translations to different languages - it was huge!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

and the maps! I loved the maps!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

lol! and as I think back I remember a period when I kept looking at the nude people in the section on artwork - very risque, I must have been about 10!

Shirlee in NC said...

Thanks, Jo--logical answer. Didn't think of that possibility.

Love your story about books--did you have brothers and sisters who were the same?

puddle said...

One of my favs was a set of see-throughs of the human body. The main/first one was printed on paper, was the skeleton, followed by the heart and arteries, the various internal organs, and then, at last, the skin. Took that sucker apart and put him back together endless times.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

no, I have an older and a younger brother and they were good students but not very curious - too busy with other things. they are quite curious now tho, not as much of a google freak as me but fascinating people for sure. my younger son inherited that old 1956 set of encyclopedias and he and his daughters still pull out a book now and then to review something. of course a lot of the info is obsolete now, especially the maps. much of the ME shows the worng names of countries now so they usually use the internet for more current info!

puddle said...

Our first set of encyclopedias was a mid 1920's one. My dad, and his siblings would have been teens. Takes my breath away to consider what it might have cost a struggling dirt farmer. That was about the time he traded his farm for a location in a better/closer to town school district. . . .

Our second set was a grocery store, one a week, set. Which when I was doing a senior paper on Greece, I discovered was actually based on the first!! Just reprinted, and without the great illustrations. Not even updated.

Third set, when *my* sibs were mid-teens was an ACTUAL Britannica! Paid on the installment plan, like a new car. We never had a NEW car, though, lol!

Shirlee in NC said...

A group of inquiring minds we have here--
now do we Google for questions/informationthat not so many years ago we would hardly have thought to ask?

Do you think this means a whole expansion of the thought process--now and even more in the future?

puddle said...

To a degree, I think we do. Because we can. Or at least some of us do. The things that have interested me most in the past, I acquired a pretty good reference section on -- owner of a Merck Manual, and a Physicians Desk Reference, for instance, lol! Also lots of do it yourself/back to the land stuff. But the *possibility* of finding out nearly anything in a few seconds, or minutes, is definitely intoxicating.

But I also find that if that curiosity *isn't* there, google won't make much of a difference. . . . My Ex remains pretty astonished at what you can find on the nets, because he, personally, never looks. . . . Forbes, WSJ and live stock quotes are pretty much the only use he makes of the nets.

But I also wonder how it's actually changing the brain structure of the young ones. Feedback is powerful. We know, for instance, that those part of our brains we use the most get "heftier" -- and those we don't, begin to wither. The sections of the brain that deal with fear, for instance, are much larger in the Righties than in the Lefties. . . . Guess they'd argue that we have no common sense, while we argue that they are paralyzed with fear of change. . . .

Shirlee in NC said...

Thanks, Puddle. I am wondering about the change also and really think it is happening--and for the good of all. I have a few friends and relatives in their 60's and 70's who have refused to have anything to do with a computer. They may be interesting people--but have a narrower range of interests--and yes, usually more fearful or dismissive of anything new.

The young people-mostly anyone 50 and under seem interested in a wider range of things. I wonder if the current Republican gang can keep the few young people they have given this difference? Hah!

puddle said...

Shirlee ~~ to answer your earlier question, lol!

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/392113_468407313181974_1835927717_n.jpg

Shirlee in NC said...

Thanks, Puddle--
That would certainly get them out of the way! Thanks for the searching--I am not a fb'er--could not deal with the first deluge.
Looking at the link it looks as though it could be from there?
Love it!!!!

Shirlee in NC said...

Puddle--were you able to keep your son busy today :) Hope you had a wonderful time. We need to add him to the Helpful Kid list!

GSO is building a walking, biking trail circling the whole city--in phases. Tomorrow is
a celebration of the opening of another portion. They call these Walk for the Greenway. Brenda and the planners will be busy tomorrow making sure all goes smoothly. There are more runners and dedicated walkers here willing to be in races, etc. than I could have imagined. In Palacios we just went down to the seawall and strolled along the bay!

Good night, now. Love to all.

puddle said...

Yep, it's facebook. My first try didn't take. Tried again a couple of years later when I good friend died, and his other friends were using a facebook page to coordinate the funeral/memorial. After that, it was too late, lol! Right at this moment, it's mostly political.

Was funny, and a little nervous making joining on-line friends from several venues with life long friends and family. Informative, too. Without it, I wouldn't have a clue as to the workings of the teabagging "mind."

puddle said...

No word from the kid yet. He'd said he'd *try* for tonight. Maybe I get a bit of a reprieve, lol!

puddle said...

Looks like I misunderstood the EST arrival. So I have at least another morning to finish the cleaning (yay).

puddle said...

Kid pooped out, completely, last night. On his way now.

puddle said...

Tea Baggin' Birther. . . .

Well not really surprised after all it's Obama you're talking about right. Obama is a muslin anyway.

And I thought he was a calico! Live. Learn.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

g'morning puddle. the birther guy has withdrawn his complaint - too much kickback from peeps that aren't that krezzy. but the committee that was going to go ahead and investigate further 'cause they thought there might be cause to take O off the ballot. edoh!

add to that Walker's union-buster being thrown out by the courts, Mitt' bad week and things are looking up for democracy imo! still a long slog before things are much better, but I can't say how happy I am that some lower courts seem to have a level of integrity that some of the supremes have whored away to their repub masters.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

gee, crappy typing skills this mornin. time for another cup-o-joe I guess!

puddle said...

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/09/why-is-the-gop-so-furious-at-ben-bernanke/262385/

puddle said...

You know, I'm beginning to think that maybe, just maybe, this election may begin to prove that money as power *may* be limited. That you have to have something else besides just BIG BUCKS going for you to win. . . . Right now, the Republicans have what ought to be the biggest and best chance: lotsa money in the coffers, and a biggol rich businessman running. And slowly, slowly, sanity is winning over both. . . .

puddle said...

Kid's due to arrive momentarily (he emailed from the grocery store in HRG about an hour and a half ago). Yay!!!

puddle said...

Arrived!

Shirlee in NC said...

Hurrah!! Have fun Puddle and Kid!

Shirlee in NC said...

Things are looking up a bit, I think--
DLCC generic polls show Ohio and Wisconsin favoring Dems by a few percentage points--and this--as they called it potential blockbuster--MI Speaker of the House is on the verge of losing the most Republican district in the state! This is the guy who refused to let female representatives participate in a bill on abortion because they used the correct terms for parts of the female body.

Shirlee in NC said...

...and my own polling at the recycled jewelry store below.
The employee is African American AND a committed, committed, very conservative Baptist.
She says NO WAY is she or those she knows voting for Romney/Ryan. Whew!

Things may be different further south. NC has always been a border state--and the last map I saw had it in pink--toss up.

Fingers are crossed and will keep talking to folks.

puddle said...

Buried Stevie about an hour ago. Just as we had the first shovel of dirt in, and both of us were crying, a Great Blue Heron flew almost over our heads. I've seen them fly up and down river, never had one or seen one fly across my field in 17 years. Felt like a blessing.

Shirlee in NC said...

Thanks, Puddle for telling us about Stevie..and the Heron.
I am so glad your son is with you.

Love to you both--

puddle said...

Not a good night. Pushed the ol' bod yesterday more than I should have. Max dose of pain meds before bed. Not enough. Major cramping in major muscles, all night. Kept adding calcium and heat every time I got up. Very tired right now, but muscles fine. Go figure.

puddle said...

Shiny new thread!!!