Wednesday, September 5, 2012

HOW ABOUT WE SPREAD THIS AROUND?



SITES TO HELP PEOPLE REGISTER & VOTE!

REGISTER TO VOTE ON LINE OBAMA SITE - https://gottaregister.com/?source=OM2012_VR_M_vrtest-A_VR-CO-search_Register_

REGISTER TO VOTE ON LINE OBAMA SITE - https://gottaregister.com/?source=OM2012_VR_M_vrtest-A_VR-CO-search_Register_-||subsource=mkwid|oNz70TGT|kw|register%20to%20vote|matchtype|p|pcrid|1600052050

TO VOLUNTEER - https://my.barackobama.com/page/s/become-a-volunteer
https://my.barackobama.com/page/s/become-a-volunteer or http://OFA.BO/wQAtgy

REGISTER & EDUCATION AT ROCK THE VOTE - http://www.rockthevote.org/

VOTE FROM ABROAD - https://www.votefromabroad.org/

FOR PEOPLE IN THE SERVICE, AND CITIZENS LIVING OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES - http://www.fvap.gov/

VOTER ID STATE REQUIREMENTS - http://www.ncsl.org/legislatures-elections/elections/voter-id.aspx

ASSISTANCE WITH REGISTERING AND VOTING - http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/Voting.shtml

All the tools you need to register, if you need a ride to the polls contact your respective party offices in your city, local NAACP, local churches, community centers, senior citizens organizations, etc.

ANY QUESTIONS CALL YOUR LOCAL DEMOCRATIC OFFICE! The FREE information cell phone # (800) 373-3411

JUST PLEASE GET OUT AND VOTE!!!
AND, HELP SOMEONE ELSE... TO REGISTER AND VOTE!

59 comments:

whitznd said...

YES! And HOWARD is the first. Today, Michelle runs a close second after that incredible speach!

Glad to see all the register to vote links. I was very happy to see young people out at Bumbershoot (all three days) with clipboards to register people. There are usually some older women and at that only a few. So I was surprised to see SOOOOO many young people out.

Didn't think to stop and see to which party they were affiliated. Can only hope that it's the good guys.

puddle said...

I think the Republicans don't do too much voter registration any more -- they've gotten in too much trubble in the past for "losing" the Dems' forms, lol! Besides, it's a lot easier just to pass a bill and keep thousands from voting. . . .

whitznd said...

You've got that right!

Shirlee in NC said...

Just had a chance to listen to Michelle's speech--what a REAL person she is---as opposed to any number of--unnamed-- former first ladies.
In a way she reminds me of a 21st century version of Eleanor Roosevelt. Out there--fighting for
the good things. I loved the expressions on the women's faces--they REALLY understood what she was saying.

Had to be off today for a full body scan at the dermo's office--she got quite a few nasty spots--will do more in November. Yeah--ouch for a few days, but better than waiting for what would likely develop.

Love you all.

puddle said...

Ooh! Ouchie, indeed! But you're right, waiting is not a good option.

I was so impressed just *reading* the speech. She's definitely her own woman! And what a terrific model for her daughters! Powerful mums can be so important for little girls. I had one, I know.

Pat said...

Watching again, the convention seems to be going flawlessly. Many women are speaking, the enthusiasm is high, and there are facts and reason. What a change from the other convention.

It's the America I think we all believe in, an America we can love because it's community, respect, aspiration, a belief in fairness, justice and being there for one another.

More and More I read, including in this week's New Yorker, the disaster began with Reagan: outsourcing, letting corporations set the rules, deregulation, ideology, Social Darwinism, etc.

It is, as you've said, Puddle, the election of our lifetime because the choices are very clear. We can't say they were ambiguous or that we didn't know. It's all there.

So, back to the TV. Thanks for the links on registering.

puddle said...

Whew!

Someone Has Romney's Taxes?

by BooMan
Wed Sep 5th, 2012 at 03:29:00 PM EST
If this is true, someone broke into a PricewaterhouseCoopers office in Tennessee and stole records of Mitt Romney's tax returns. And they are asking for a million bitcoins to either release the records or to destroy them. Apparently, they have already sent flash drives containing encrypted copies of the returns to both the local party offices. If Romney doesn't come up with a million bucks before September 28th, they'll tell people how to de-encrypt the flash drives. If someone other than Romney pays a million bucks to them, they will release the records earlier than September 28th.

I do not know if this is a hoax or not.

http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2012/9/5/15290/09018

whitznd said...

I suspect a hoax. But it would be justice if they were released

puddle said...

Great speech!

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/transcript-elizabeth-warrens-democratic-convention-speech/story?id=17164726#.UEg8vd4pDeg

Pat said...

Good Morning,

Bill Clinton still has the same charisma. His refutation of Romney and Ryan was clear, succinct, and easily understood. Well done, Bill

I do think we've headed in a new direction, more ethical, more inclusive, more democratic, more caring of one another. If Romney and company get in power, we're going straight to perdition, in my opinion. It will be the same greedy, privateering, self-centered, easily aroused to anger and hatred ethos that has so poisoned the people climate in this country. People like Rove, Norquist, the Koch Brothers, the Tea Party, the Birthers, the right wing evangelicals, all of them have done damage, and I guess they always will. But, we have to confront them, oppose them, get the truth out, stand with courage for ethical, inclusive, free, responsible, and intelligent governance. And that's my polemic for this fine day.

puddle said...

No sleep till dawn, then puppy got me up at 8. Back to bed. . . .

Shirlee in NC said...

Have a good morning nap Puddle.

whitznd said...

Went to one of my faciities to deliver supplies last night and my friend there was joking around with a customer who turned out to be her lawyer. And he looked at me and said, "Aren't you that lady that does the food at the 46th meeting?"

Well, yep, that's me. So then my friend started to tear down democrats, called Rachel Maddow "Rachel Mad Cow" and just went on and on. I was so stunned that I left without the paperwork I was going to pick up.

She claims that Rachel and her ilk chop up what Romney and Ryan are saying and pick and choose what they want us to hear. Ummm, I don't think so, they play an entire clip or show the entire source of anything and everything they quote.

I don't know whether to just ignore it or press her to deliver to me some examples of what she is talking about. I'm suspecting that that is not a possibility as the right wing commentators will say that just to get them riled up even if they have NO basis in whatever fact they are trying to prove.

Unfortunately, my friend and her husband had a bad experience at my summer party (populated by hard core democrates) and left the party in a huff. Didn't say anything to me, but her attitude was not the warm, friendly person I knew so I wondered if that was what happened. And sure enough, she said that was what happened.

I'm distressed that my friend may start treating me as an enemy and I have to work with her. Any suggestions?


Pat said...

Hi Barb,

You can be upfront, say, we disagree politically. Let's not talk politics and continue to appreciate everything else we enjoy about each other.

We have a family member, as does Puddle, I believe, and we just say, no, we won't talk politics. If it comes up, we temper it, speak politely, say, that's my opinion and change the subject.

True believers tie their identity to ideology. There's no persuading them with reason. That's who they are, and it's just real.

Just some thoughts, hoping they may be helpful.

Shirlee in NC said...

I agree with both Pat and Puddle, Barb. IF you want to maintain the friendship outside of politics--you must just veer away and steer away from any conversations that lead that way. For many of us that IS hard to do because we see political involvement as a total part of life.
Good luck to you--

whitznd said...

Thanks all, I have studiously avoided talking politics with her. Her husband is more reasonable so we can always say, "We won't go there." But she just jumped on how our side was lying and being a big intrusive government. Drove me to ask, "So it is ok for government to invade our uterouses?" and she just exploded. I was so stunned. She has a daughter and granddaughters??? She made is sound like it was Obama that was intruding into our uterouses?

I'll ocntinue to treat her as a dear friend, we'll just see what she does.

puddle said...

This election is reminding me more and more of the Wisconsin recall. And prolly for the same reasons. I think Wisconsin was just a practice run. . . . They seem to have discovered all the *buttons* to push for their side, and it doesn't matter at all what the other side does.

Heard just a bit of Boortz tonight: I used to be able to listen to an hour or two before bailing. Ten minutes tonight. They all seem just this side of real violence. Unhinged.

Pat said...

Hi Y'all,

We're watching. This is the America of the future, or if not, the America that leads to repression, injustice, poverty, violence.

I'm afraid that culture is a brainwashing mechanism. There are people so full of fear, so unable to think for themselves, that they join groups that reaffirm their worst selves. I'm sorry for them, but sorrier for us.

We must re-elect Obama. We must.

I'm reading In the Garden of Beasts, a nonfiction book on Ambassador Dodd who represenst the U.S. in Germany during the time of FDR. What's so terrifying is how normal it all seems as Germany descends into madness. That could happen here, I believe. I believe that the Tea Partiers, the Obama haters, the evangelicals, the Libertarians, the Republicans are already deluded and crazy. Heaven help us.

It starts with violence, political manuevering, and repressive laws. Think repealing Obama Care, think repealing Medicare, think privatizing Social Security, think Arizona's anti-immigrant laws, think tax cuts for the rich, think the Defense of Marriage law,think adding to the military and belligerence, well, you get the idea.

puddle said...


More Buzz About Bill; or, R&R’s Empty Campaign
Sep 6, 2012
maha
-->
Mittens

Interesting observation from The American Conservative, where Daniel Larison admits that the case Clinton made against Romney and Ryan was devastating –

… it was all the more devastating because Romney and Ryan made no concerted effort to make the case for their ticket and their agenda last week. … Part of what made Clinton’s speech so devastating is that he compiled all of these objections, linked them together, and presented them to a large television audience all at once in a way that was easily digestible.

Another reason the speech was so devastating to them was that he gave the sort of speech that Ryanmaniacs might have once imagined that Ryan would deliver and the sort that some Romney supporters still imagine Romney is capable of giving. Romney-Ryan was supposed to be the presidential ticket of the “data-driven” manager and his budget wonk sidekick, and between the absence of any significant policy discussion last week and what happened tonight that has lost all credibility. Clinton outperformed both of them in terms of discussing policy details, and underscored just how meaningless the “campaign of ideas” phrase has been. Ryan fans had been convinced for over a year that the election had to be a contest over “big ideas,” and when it came time to engage in that contest their party leaders didn’t even try.

There are several possible reasons they didn’t even try. It might be that they do have a substantive argument for themselves tucked away somewhere, and they haven’t trotted it out because they think the electorate is bored with that detail stuff. I get that vibe from a lot of the Right, actually; they just want the red meat, not the wonky vegetables.

MOAR AT THE LINK

puddle said...

Boy -- reading the live convention threads over at Kos -- don't think I've *evah* seen this strong of a positive reaction from that crew. . . . Going to be hard to come back down tomorrow and get to work. . . .

Pat said...

I think this was the best convention I have ever watched. The values, the passion, the positive message of who we are as Americans was repeated by every single speaker. I'm proud, hopeful, and feel like the America I believe in, am grateful for, and feel I owe my efforts to make a better society was reborn this night.

This was superb.

Night friends.

puddle said...

First morning in a week with an actual chill in it. Also a bit foggy. Can Winter be on its way?

Have to say, I've been pretty impressed with the Democrats and their convention. More, really, with the whole campaign so far. Candidates and staff have been close to flawless. Gotta remember that two of the biggest memes thus far "Etcha sketch" and "We don't run our campaign on fact" have come from Romney's *staff*. . . . And they are not helped by their own candidates: one who really is just a liar, and one who has been on every side of most issues, and neither of whom seem to have a single clue as to what it means to be in serious want. That set off against a group that clearly does. And who has acted on that understanding.

Additionally, the Republicans are handicapped by the fact that *their* side actually caused this mess, and they can only hope the public is too dim to get that. I don't think you can easily appeal to the actual dim with easy impunity ~~ they are much too easily offended. And to assume that the *entire* electorate is dim (as they have) is fatal. Plus there is the core vote which is so far off in lala land, but which is also very willing to abandon them for one small misstep. A sort of: sharks to the left of me, sharks to the right kind of situation. And those clown shoes make running SO difficult.

My sense is that R/R are *truly* puzzled/bewildered by the fact that nothing but the seats of their own pants have caught fire.

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=235449F3-8173-4580-8BFB-32E1DE70D24E

Shirlee in NC said...

Thanks as always, Puddle, for your comments and links. I watched a good bit of last night on my computer--and was reminded how much I love being a Democrat.

Jennifer Granholm, the former governor of Michigan, was replaced by a gang of really rabid, unforgiving, women hating, Republicans.
Jennifer came into office at about the same time as Michigan State University named a woman for the first time as president.

The old boys in the legislature were having a hard time with that--and it has gotten worse with the rise of the Tea Partiers. I have a feeling their days are numbered--I hope.

whitznd said...

What a beautiful and intelligent woman! Such passion! I can only say WOW!

puddle said...

Just putting this out there now, to ask everyone to keep an eye out, and report. . . . I'm thinking that this, as the first truly budget-without-an-upper-limit election may not give the big spenders what they hope/believe/"know" it will. . . .

I've run into a few very rich men in my life, several millionaires with romantic interest, and I found them *extremely* off putting. Their sense of entitlement absolutely reeked. They truly believed that just having money made them tremendously desirable and that they need not understand anything about anyone beyond that. For all that the Dems have been accused of trying the "throw money at it" meme, the very rich *live* it. . . .

So I'm really curious to see if this is *really* going to work for Mitt, Sheldon, and the Koch bros. I'm suspecting that it may not. That past a certain point, no more adverts/calls/billboards are wanted. . . . And the perpetrator will be punished. . . .

We even had a case here a while back where the one with money was robo calling in the opponent's name at one in the morning. *That* worked. By the time the word got out that he HAD NOT made/created/paid for the calls, the election was over. . . .

Hoping some sociologists somewhere are taking this all in. . . .

puddle said...

Afternoon gleanings: 16 y.o. girl tweets death threat to president. Hatefilled righties bring implied threats to an author's children into it. Maybe because of this?
http://www.politicususa.com/obama-approval-rating-jumps-10-points-democratic-convention.html



http://www.politicususa.com/16-year-old-assassinate-president.html

http://blog.duchessstrollins.com/2012/09/07/will-the-real-duchess-st-rollins-please-stand-up/

These people are mean, hateful, stoopid, and terrified. Think we'll be seeing more of this.

puddle said...

Finally, lol! Got the wash in after four days, and a whole bunch of thunderstorms. Still not *quite* dry, but there's a possible storm again tonight, and I'm taking no chances this time.

Shirlee in NC said...

This is terrifying and sad--surely she learned this hate from parents or other adults. Beef up the SS detail!!!

puddle said...

Cool this a.m., due to be cool today, and then even cooler all next week with highs in the 60'S and lows in the 40's. Winter's on it's way, it appears.

Trying to wean myself somewhat from the pain meds. Error. Got through the night, but didn't get a real good sleep. Maybe just cut back tonight instead of cut out.

puddle said...


http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/sept-7-polls-find-hints-of-obama-convention-bounce/#more-34231

puddle said...

You know, trying to find sanity on the innertubes even is getting harder and harder. And we're still two months out. . . .

Shirlee in NC said...

Does anyone know how Jo is? She hasn't been on this thread at all. Missing both Jo and Listener.

Summer seems to be lingering here in GSO--but allergies are available for all--so guess fall is on the way!

puddle said...

Jo's been on facebook a bit. I think family stuff? Miss her, too.

puddle said...

Heh! Just got my water onto the front porch between storms!! Yay, me!

listener said...

I'm under a Tornado Watch until 10pm and Severe Thunderstorm Warning. Usually storms get me jazzed up but this one has me feeling tense. The storms are flaring up in a big way as they exit NY, and though they've barely made it to Lake Champlain, a half hour west of me, I can already hear the thunder. Heh.

♥ HOW ARE YOU FARING, JO??? ♥

Go to this site, and check the box for "storm cells" www.wptz.com/weather/radar You can zoom in or out as needed...even see your street!...hover over a storm cell symbol and see how long before it reaches you...click on a storm cell symbol to see what that cell contains! HIGHLY useful!!

listener said...

As you can see by the link I just posted, Jo is in the thick of the storm just now.

listener said...

Tornado Vortex signature at the SW corner of Vermont!

puddle said...

Maura just had a buncha big ones pass by her. Jumpin' out there today!

puddle said...

All storms passed. Sweet peach of a sunset. Cool (59º) -- good sleeping weather. Very.

puddle said...


Did Mitt Get a Negative Bounce?

Sep 8, 2012
maha
-->
Obama Administration

According to the Princeton Election Consortium, Mitt actually got a negative bounce out of his convention. The data also show that the Bain/taxes attacks were hurting Romney, while the “you didn’t build that” blather hasn’t helped him.

Other polls also show that President Obama has widened a small lead over Romney.

Although I don’t want to be complacent about Obama’s election chances, I hope this means the Democratic message is resonating with people.

Shirlee in NC said...

Good to see Obama staying ahead of whats-his-name. My thought--what if we just concentrate on widening that gap--by any (legal:) means! Talking it up to family and friends,signs, stickers, positive thinking--as Puddle says--any little bit helps!

Good night all--and sleep well!

puddle said...

Good night to you, too, Miss Shirlee! Think I'll be joining you soon. Was gonna take a bath tonight, but just don't have the energy. It'll wait.

I was thinking about my car sticker -- as rotten as things have gotten, wonder if it'll get my car vandalized the next trip to town. . . . Wish that hadn't occurred to me. Wish it wasn't a possibility. I just keep remembering the girl at the old blog who got a spike driven through her bumper/Dean sticker. And the stakes there weren't as high as now.

puddle said...

Stevie died last night. Nearly as big a relief as sorrow. Why he wanted to hang on like that, I don't know, but he did, and I did it with him. One tough puss cat. Damn.

Good to be able to think of him able to walk and run again. Been one very tough year for us both. Still, I'm glad (sort of) that I let him have *his* choice in the matter.

Shirlee in NC said...

Oh, Puddle--I am sorry about your Stevie. I KNOW you will miss him--but also glad he is not in any more pain. I bet his spirit will be with you for a long time. Love to you and Beau***

Pat said...

I'm sorry, Puddle, for your loss, but also glad you gave Stevie the choice. Our old Lhasa Apso died in my arms at the Vet's before she could give Kiki a shot. I remember that, as if I participated somehow in her going.

Meanwhile, I'm very concerned about this election, that people have bought into the conflation of religion and politics, which whenever the State has been a theocracy, it has been a tyranny. I think Reagan, in his manipulation of the evangelicals, somehow made them think the State could mandate and enforce a particular set of beliefs. It scares me to death.

I told a friend who is very anti abortion and who remarked she/he would vote for Romney for that reason, that States who imposed their belief systems like the Taliban, the Catholic Church in the Inquisition, Sharia Law, and the Roman Catholic Church denying birth control to AIDS victims in Africa did terrible damage to people. That the only thing that makes sense in a diverse world of hundreds of different beliefs was individual conscience.

Well, as much as I don't want to make phone calls, for my grandchildren, I may have to.

puddle said...

Thank you both. Been a kind of rough day, for sure. And the love helps. It does. Doesn't matter how long you get "prepared" I guess. I hadn't thought he could have made it past the last winter, but he did, and got to see some spring. Glad I don't have to think about another winter with him failing.

Something someone said, prolly rephrased, came to mind: To love is to give hostages to fate. . . .

Glad you're going to do the deed, Pat: Colorado is important in this one. I'm really lousy at it, and did it for Kerry, of all people, lol! Unfortunately, WV is not going to move this election. Alas.

Shirlee in NC said...

It seems there is both grief and relief at the death of any living thing we love--whether an ancient tree, an animal who has been a companion or our closest human companions. We miss them terribly, but at the same time there is relief for all. It was a surprise--and a bit of feeling of guilt when I first realized this--especially when my honey died. Finally got it through my head--he no longer had to struggle to breathe. THEN I quit feeling guilty for the relief. A mixed bag we humans are, eh?

puddle said...

Absolutely right Shirlee. Hugz!

Need to mention that the phone's been doing a number -- this morning, no dial tone for about three hours. And then about an hour ago, dial tone but no information capacity. Went up to bed hoping it'd be better in the morning, but got toe cramps so came down for some calcium. And voila! It's seeming not to like the cold. . . . So if disappear, don't send Sheriff Chuck.

Shirlee in NC said...

Thanks for the tip, Puddle, we won't bother Sheriff Chuck--
today:)

puddle said...

Well, line came up, and went out again. Seems good. For now. Joys of country living, I guess.

puddle said...

This is interesting: I'd been wondering why the R's were gloating. . . .

Why Obama Went Low Key in His Democratic Convention Speech
by Howard Kurtz Sep 7, 2012 1:14 PM EDT
The president’s more subdued rhetoric is being derided by pundits—but it was carefully vetted with groups of voters. Howard Kurtz reports exclusively on the Obama team’s decision not to swing for the fences in Charlotte.



Barack Obama’s team wanted an earthbound speech, and they got it.

While the pundits are generally calling the president’s Thursday night address mediocre, Obama and his advisers had taken great pains to avoid soaring rhetoric that might have been derided as empty.

Indeed, they extensively tested the president’s speech in dial groups, a type of focus group where voters twist dials to register approval or disapproval of specific passages, and say it tested off the charts. The reaction, they say, was more positive than to Obama’s 2008 acceptance speech in Denver.

In short, the president deliberately dialed it down, stopping well short of the altitudes he is capable of reaching. Perhaps that will prove to be a mistake, but the decision to go with a less rousing approach was carefully considered.

The campaign’s primary goal at the Democratic convention was to provide a concrete sense of what Obama would do in a second term. That was what independent voters wanted, according to the research, and that was the focus in Charlotte.

The result was a tepid media consensus that after the stirring speeches by Michelle Obama and Bill Clinton, the president had given a B speech at best.

Strategists felt they were in a box, unable to meet the twin goals of style and substance at once.

Strategists felt they were in a box, unable to meet the twin goals of style and substance at once. To be sure, Obama wanted to excite the party’s liberal base. But his brain trust was convinced that they would have gotten killed by going with a red-meat speech that simply bashed Republicans without detailing what Obama would do in the next four years.

The speech was essentially finished on Tuesday, the opening day of the convention, with some last-minute tinkering on Thursday. No Clintonian all-nighters for this crowd.

Tone and delivery aside, Obama did more than lay out a case for investing in energy and education, slashing the deficit by $4 trillion and protecting such entitlements as Medicare and Social Security. He proffered the notion of shared sacrifice and slow progress—a more measured assessment than four years ago and one decidedly less inspirational. It also was to some extent forced by the necessity of defending a mixed record in office.

As if to validate the campaign’s decision to close the convention with a more subdued speech, new figures released Friday show that the economy created just 96,000 jobs last month, unintentionally underscoring Obama’s message that he has no quick fix for the country’s economic problems.

puddle said...

That *also* apropos of sea's endless ranting that he was *eloquent* but nothing else. . . .

Shirlee in NC said...

Daughter Brenda says there are a number of servers down across the country--in case anybody is wondering.
Had a couple of sites I was expecting to get on today--no luck.

Did find Huff Post--where some of THEM are blaming President Obama for the death of a motorcycle policeman who was setting up a road block for the motorcade. Hit by someone in a pick-up--on a FLA interstate. Sad.

Shirlee in NC said...

Good Night, folks--sleep well all.

Ah, when I picked up my mail today THERE was a shiny bit of junk mail! An invitation to register to vote as a Republican!!!! Went straight into the near-by re-cycle bin!

listener said...

Sooo...an interesting birthday, to be sure!

We checked out three garden centers, hunting for Winterberry bushes. One had some that were too small (and would stay too small), and some that were too large (too expensive). The second had some that might have worked, but the leaves looked blighted in some way. We did at least get some Tulip and Narcissus bulbs there, and two Guarda (Wand Flower) plants! The third was the charm.

We pulled in to the third garden center, stopped the truck, got out and started to go in to ask about bushes. Bill turned around and noticed a little smoke around the engine. I thought he was half kidding when he said, "My truck is on fire!"

In Bill’s own words: Apparently I had a power steering leak that sprayed onto something hot and ignited! My wife and I had pulled into a garden center to look for winterberry bushes and we were only out of the truck a couple of minutes when I noticed smoke. I went digging in the cab for the 15 year old fire extinguisher, buried under my boat bag, foulies, bags of recycling, jumper cables, and general junk... all the while smoke's coming out of the seams of the hood. But I wasn't about to open the hood until I had that extinguisher in case there were flames. I found it, popped the hood, and, yes, there were flames!. About the size of a basketball. Had no idea if the fire extinguisher was any good, nor had I ever used one. But one or two puffs and the flames were out.

My hero! We looked at it and quoted, "It's dead, Jim." The guys at the garden center moved the truck by pushing it, while I discovered with a little help that they had exactly the "Winter Red" bushes we wanted! To make the story complete, it turns out that the guy who owns the garden center is also on the fire department! Ha!

I used my cell phone to call two sons who work 15 minutes away. Neither answered, so I left messages. A few minutes later my phone rang. Oh good, I thought, this must be one of the sons! No, it was Daughter calling to wish me a happy birthday. LOL! I had to hang up with her to take a son's call a few minutes later. Turns out he had ridden his bicycle to work today. Heh. But, his boss heard of the situation and said, "Go!" and off he went. He rode home, got his car and came to the rescue! Yay!!

The truck is still at the garden center. Those folks were so nice to us, and we were so glad to be buying the bushes from them...even though we now had no way to get them home! Ha! They'll hold them for us, of course. And the bushes were on sale! 30% off! So even though they were the largest we'd found all day, they cost less than the smallest we'd seen elsewhere!

We called the Good News garage. They are happy to take the truck as a donation! Even though they can't fix it up for a needy family, they can reuse the battery and it has a good cap on the back that would sell nicely and get them some cash with which to make more repairs. :-) So as soon as we get the title to them, they'll go fetch the truck. As Bill says: The inspection on the truck was up next month and there was little chance of it passing inspection again so I was already planning to get something else. Just a little sooner than I planned. Oh well, "all's well that ends." So now Bill can finally allow himself to get a new truck.

In the evening, Daughter called again so that our two Maine Grands could talk with me, and they sang me Happy Birthday! Pretty sweet!! Then Youngest and his wife took us out to eat. That was probably the best part of the whole day!

whitznd said...

Well, happy belated Birthday, June. I'm glad all worked out well. Many good wishes and hugs. And Congratulations on your coming new truck!

whitznd said...

Shirlee, the GoDaddy servers were apparently down. It impacted our business as SiteLink, the software we use to run our storage facilities resides on GoDaddy and we got an email from SL to keep trying the program every 5 to 10 minutes until it was back up.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

new thread.

my Mom has been having some issues lately - will be here more soon I hope! xo

Jo_in_Vermont said...

and sorry I missed your day, listener!

HAPPY LATE BURTHDAY! XOXOXO