Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Hell, YES!

TIME's PERSON OF THE YEAR:  BARACK OBAMA

 



 http://poy.time.com/2012/12/19/person-of-the-year-barack-obama/

  

119 comments:

Jo_in_Vermont said...

Howie's sharing firsties with Barry this time!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

"For finding and forging a new majority, for turning weakness into opportunity and for seeking, amid great adversity, to create a more perfect union, Barack Obama is TIME's 2012 Person of the Year," Stengel explained in his note this year.

puddle said...

woºT!!!

puddle said...

Line's fading again. Don't know when I'll be able to get back on. Don't send Sheriff Chuck, lol!

Pat, glad for your snow--hope you get the maximum available. And more later. White Christmas, indeed!

Shirlee in NC said...

Wow! So there to all the greedy, hateful right wingers--congrats to OUR PREZ!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

glad that you're okay puddle! so happy to see people here as they can be.

I have been so impressed with our Prez - I am pleased with the way that he has moved into this second term. America has his back and man oh man does that make a difference.

Shirlee in NC said...

Thanks to you Jo for keeping us all together. I love finally getting to know some of the active Deaniacs!!!!

I think the RW showed their true colors during the election--and Americans didn't like what they saw.

Shirlee in NC said...

Good Morning all,a little gray here today, but I am going out to check out the 'hood for some last minute Christmas shopping. It is lovely to be able to just walk and do some errands.

whitznd said...

Thank you for this joyous picture of our lovely First Family. I'm so proud of our President.

And so happy to be here with all my "peeps".

Pat said...

Me too, Me too, thanks Jo and everyone. It's been a raucous 7 years or so since the bush disasters, the Howard Dean energizing and commitment, and so many good, reasonable, and giving people were part of the Dean Movement.

It's cold here: we got about 6 inches of snow. I'm so hopeful we'll have a snowy winter (It's hard to believe, I who love the tropics, would say that!), but mother earth and all the critters need it so badly.

It occurred to me that we require a license for driving a car, information for being able to vote; yet, people can go to a gun show and buy ammunition and guns with nary a requirement. And, there's no other purpose for guns except to maim and kill. Still, idiots insist that if everyone has guns, these massacres will be prevented.

One of the Newtown panelists talking to PBS said if that were true, the mother of the killer, (who must have been mentally ill herself with her thousands of rounds of ammunition and guns), would have prevented this tragedy. It didn't happen.

Well, have a good day, friends.

Pat said...

I should have capitalized Bush, but then maybe not.

puddle said...

This is worth passing around: http://www.niemanwatchdog.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=ask_this.view&askthisid=491

puddle said...

High for tomorrow: 28º wooooo. . . . . And this is how the world ends. Plus a whole inch of snow. Though why when we've missed on the 6" predictions do I think they might get it right on this one, grin?

Shirlee in NC said...

Whoo-Hah! Looks like Boehner has lost his
game--Teapartiers wouldn't go along with his deal with the PBO.

Things start over after the break. Seems that our prez may hold the winning cards. HA--so much for greed!

puddle said...

Today is the first day in our modern world that we've had to function without the aid of the Mayan calendar. Wonder how we'll do?

So glad the rePublicans are not being able to pull this one out. If it weren't for the unemployment stuff, I'd rejoice to let us go off the curb. I'm so bloody sick of them, and that's the truth.

Going to be chilly here today, and after a day of rain yesterday, we got just a skiff of snow. Maybe half an inch.

Love this: So the world is supposed to be ending today huh? That's bad. I never have found out Who let the dogs out, the way to get to Sesame Street, why Dora doesn't just use Google maps, why we don't ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery", why women can't put on mascara with their mouth closed, why "abbreviated" is such a long word, why lemon juice is made with artificial flavor yet dish washing liquid is made with real lemons, why they sterilize the needle for lethal injections, why do you have to "put your two cents in" but it's only a "penny for your thoughts"? Where's that extra penny going? Does the alphabet song and twinkle twinkle little star have the same tune? Why did you just try to sing those two previous songs? And just what is Victoria's secret? You see, the world just has to keep going. I have too many questions!!!

AND The light is coming back! (Again.)

Tomorrow will be 0m 3s longer.

Shirlee in NC said...

Love it, Puddle--your whole post! So glad to know about the 3 seconds--have been waiting....like putting pennies in a jar...every little bit helps.

Cold and windy here--and Brenda has the day off-doing errands for Mom and coming back this evening for our usual Friday evening dinner together.

i can't see the Republican party in anything but a bind--couldn't happen to nicer people :)

puddle said...

Playing The House of Cards again as I work on the spirit trees. Am struck, as I was last time at the Tory rhetoric--very very teabagger! And it was filmed 20 years ago, and in another country. . . . fascinating!

Beau worked his cable (it's losing its plastic coating, and has been knotting) and got himself free this a.m. By the time I discovered, and went to get him, he came right home--covering in mud and ice, and delighted to come in. Sound asleep and very happy just now. Now I have to figure out how to cobble a couple of broken cables together to get one we can use till I get to town to get a new one. I should know to always keep an extra, lol!

Shirlee in NC said...

Friday evening with Brenda--she came prepared to decorate my apartment for Christmas and serve dinner. I always loved decorating for Christmas--with whatever we had at the time.

I am sick, sick of (all) R's--is there a decent one left?

They are having a hissy fit now because PBO and family are going to Hawaii--his home--for Christmas!
And where are they going--home--and for a longer period of time. Petty!

puddle said...

Presidents' vacations seem to be a big item for both sides. My family used to take the Democratic Digest, and I remember it seemed very concerned about Eisenhower's vacations. Wish I could see tactics had changed much in fifty years, lol!

Making what feels like, but likely isn't, huge headway on the spirit trees. Actually *most* of the work was done almost two years ago: finding the ornies, and acquiring them, and sorting them, and keeping track of them. NOW what's left is pretty much making forty gazillion teeny tiny wire ornie hangers, and putting them on the trees. And I have until next weekend to do so. Having a delayed Christmas. I'm either driving up to Northern VA, and spending a day and night and driving back. Or the kid'll come get me, and same (get me has to do with car brakes).

puddle said...

Kinda laughing at the Republicans: they so thoroughly gerrymandered the House of Representatives districts, that they can not now get rid of the Tea Party. Which looks to be doing a very good job of bringing them down as a viable party. Sweet irony.

puddle said...

Oh, yikes! My grandson just announced on facebook that he has his first college acceptance. With scholarship. Did I mention I'm not *old* enough to be the grandmother of a college student?

puddle said...

THIS is interesting: http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/study-booze-damages-brain-pot-does-not

In Al-Anon, we used to say that alcohol killed brain cells: because that's what you *observe* when dealing with alcoholics. . . .

From the article: The researchers found that, after the year and a half was over, kids who had drank five or more alcoholic beverages twice a week had lost white brain matter. That means that they could have impaired memory, attention, and decision-making into adulthood. The teens that smoked marijuana on a regular basis had no such reduction.

Shirlee in NC said...

Puddle--you DO find the most interesting information to pass on.

And yeah--I'm not old enough to have 4 ggs--the oldest is a lovely girl of 10!

Cold, but sunny day here in GSO.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

soooo, the end of the Mayan calendar brought true beauty to my neck of the woods... yesterday facebook was plastered with pictures of a gorgeous rainbow, mostly blue sky and puffy white clouds - SO many people saw it! but then I find out that there were numerous rainbows, they weren't all seeing the same one. I don't remember this happening before, so many in one day! how lovely!

puddle said...

Was playing The Last Waltz last night and again today. The finale with Bob Dylan was I Shall Be Released, so I googled the lyrics while it was playing, replayed it, and sang along. The innertubes are what I *always* wanted: Britannica, World Atlas, Great Books, NYT and more.

Posted my comment about the Tea Baggers above on facebook, and my nephew, who worked for Romney, commented that *he* thinks they're what's keeping the party alive. Think I'm not going to try to disabuse him of that notion: unskewing the polls did them SO much good. . . .

Jo, the rainbows sound lovely--blessing on the New Age?

Pat said...

Hi folks,

Off to a poetry reading tonight for the new issue of Improv, the Green Fuse Press here on the Front Range.

It should be fun. Do you suppose we are headed for a new consciousness? How much it is needed. I hear that gun dealers are having a banner day. EWWW.

I'll drop in later.

puddle said...

Got to John's for supplies--he was totally out of flour. Got some cake mix. I have some interesting waffles in my future, lol!

Pat said...

Good Morning,

Windy here today, screeching, blowing up snow wraiths, power flickering.

Thank you, Puddle, for that excellent and scary article. Yes, we've been bamboozled, cheated, been violated as a society by these crazies, and that they've had as much power as they have had and do is up to us to correct somehow.

We'll see what our society is made of. Hopefully, the majority are sane, responsible, thoughtful people.

The poetry reading was lovely: about 40 people in a Victorian Bed and Breakfast: high walls, wainscotting, round tables with linens, coffee and desserts. A feeling of community, appreciation, and sharing. Just lovely.

It made me think of how we can appreciate all the creativity of our communities. It doesn't have to be Hollywood, national star publicity. It was very gratifying.

Shirlee in NC said...

Cool and a bit drizzly here today--last of the laid back preparations for a laid back Christmas here in GSO. Brenda and I will be celebrating tomorrow and on Christmas day.
On the 29th we expect the Master and Mistress of The Rock to be in town for an afternoon and overnighter--will be good to see them.

Shirlee in NC said...

Happy Christmas Eve Day to all!!!!

puddle said...

Got a little weather event going on here, involving sleet, snow, ice pellets. Dusting of what looks like extra sparkly snow. So glad I don't have to travel for the next fews. Just sitting it out with the dancing dawg.

And a blessed holy day to each and every!

And special thanks to Jo for making this place for us to be together, in warmth, and love, and caring!!

puddle said...

Wow! Really thick, heavy snow coming down! Looks just like a Christmas card out there. First snow like this in a couple of years, I think!

whitznd said...

Thanks Puddle, for the wishes. I wish for fine Christmas for each of you here. Thank you Jo, for making it so.

Today is also the 19th Anniversary of the Magical Kiss that awoke Burt and me to the realization that we were destined to be together forever.

puddle said...

Phil Specht


Shelter

It is from Herod's horror
I recoil somehow this Sandy Hook
holiday
threatened enough
to kill babes
what kingdom his?

animals sharing space
silent night
silent closet/ manger
shielding babes

comfort dogs?

We ask the donkey
to bear our burden
the dogs to comfort us
animals knowing better
than we who argue over seasons greetings

I will not be "merry" then
nor "happy" so as not to partake
in mean frivolity, banal argument.
Is that more satisfactory?

No.

But eyes that see
ears that hear
Peace and Love
for all God's creatures.
All. And you.
Comfort and joy.

Pat said...

Good Christmas Eve Morning,

Yes, thoughts, wishes, gratitude for friendship sent your way.

As always, I appreciate Phil's poetry. Thank you for posting it, Puddle.

Shirlee in NC said...

What a beautiful, sad poem from Phil. Many thanks to him and to Puddle for posting it here.

And yes, Jo--thank you for letting us get to know one another better! And feel safe--YES!

puddle said...

Our snow's mostly gone, and it's a toasty 40º, but memories of yesterday's big fat storm will do.

Busy needle felting a tiny dog for a spirit tree. These are my first needle felting projects, so slow, but the first one is just darling! And then *that* tree will be done. And five to go before next Sunday when my kiddle and the grands arrive. I *needed* the extra time, lol!
ReplyDelete

puddle said...

Snowing again for this fine feast of St. Stephen.

Cold out; toasty in.

Almost finished my grandson's tree last night (about five more ornies to hang, one more to find (know I've seen it around here recently). Verra purdy! Not sure a 17 year old boy *wants* purdy thangs, but that's the nature of Christmas, eh?

Jo_in_Vermont said...

puddle it all sounds wonderful but honestly I have no idea what your 'trees' are or what they look like, what an ornie is, but I'm guessing 'ornament'. got any photos to share or a link so I have a clue?!!

puddle said...

Jo ~~ project I started two years ago, with plans to gift them last Christmas. Spirit Trees: the idea is to capture at least some of the life of the recipient in concrete form. I had hoped to do them on faux feather trees, but haven't been able to manage that yet, though I know how it should be done--so it was either wait for another year, or go with what I've got. So, the project has been to replace, and personalize the base, of some tiny railroad/Christmas trees (plan was to take them apart and use the parts for the faux feather trees). With the new two inch bases, they're 14". So the ornaments (ornies) need to be to that scale. Jewelery findings turned out to be the place to look. . . . beads, pins, wire, charms, brass stampings, some astonishing stuff out there.

I've had some enormous fun, lol! Thankful, as you know, is a great fan of Thanksgiving, so she has a number of turkeys -- beads, pewter charms, etc of roast turkeys. Also, two Turkish flags, lol! The base of her tree is an old Wild Turkey bottle holder (likely made for a liquor store to display 'em) with two beautifully detailed reliefs of wild turkeys.

This gives you an idea of about where I was two years ago before I lost that year and more: http://puddleriverstudios.blogspot.com/2011_01_01_archive.html If you follow to the last entry, you can see where the Achalasia (and Beau) pretty much halted everything for about 18 months.

At any rate, Tonio's has a red earth colored base, a black angel (bead from Peru), and a filigree giraffe on the base. The ornies are gold rhinos, and leopards, silver lions, and tiny sandalwood elephant beads. Also, a football helmet, a skier, a computer mouse, a tiger, another giraffe, and a couple of pewter crocodiles. Tree's so full now, I decided to give him the African trade beads for his birthday in March.

At the end of the week, I'll be taking some pictures of all the finished ones (many to go that won't be done this year), and maybe posting them on facebook since google won't let me on any more (damn their eyes).

puddle said...

Realized I'd been talking a lot about the spirit trees at HEP (think *some* at the BBB, too, but not in as much detail). Originally, I was planning on putting tiny hand dipped candles on, and even acquired the bayberry wax. listener, our candle maker thought they needed some other kind of wax to keep them from being quite so brittle. And blessedly send me some of her beeswax candle ends that her church saves for her.

Still would like to do the faux feather trees with the tiny candles, but it's not likely to be in time for any of the spirit trees.

puddle said...

sent

Shirlee in NC said...

Thanks for the link and photos, Puddle.
they are lovely.

I am always amazed at crafters who start time-consuming, patience-needing projects and actually stay with it--know a good many who have tried :)
Happy Day after Christmas to all--always love it. It is a 'stay in a warm robe and relax' day for me. House is still decorated, Christmas goodies to be consumed,etc.

whitznd said...

Puddle, I have some chicken feathers and can collect more if you'd like. I saved a huge bag of them on year then realized that we'd soon have enough feathers to make a couple more Chickie Pies, so stopped saving.

I turned one of my macrame hangings into a piece with her feathers. It's beautiful.

Started with a beached piece of ammo box from Gitmo, nicely patinaed. Added a nice macrame piece done on a headlight rim found at the dump at Gitmo (we called it "Sears"). Added a beautiful 1/2 shell that I bought in Jamaica. the 'fringe' (about 14 - 18" long) ended with some ceramic resistors also found at 'Sears'. So after we got Mz Little, I started adding her feathers. It's quite a piece now. I'll take a pix and send it to Jo and/or Puddle to display. Also will put it on FB, but I know not everyone goes there.

whitznd said...

Made a really cute email belated Christmas card with Mz Little as well. The picture we used we put up on fb. We have the cutest chickie pie ever.

puddle said...

So glad Mz Little is having a good Christmas. My neighbor lost her favorite from the brood last summer, for no good reason anyone could see, and she said she was amazed how attached she'd become.

Her tree has six plump little chickees on it, lol! And a bunch of eggs. I feel bad that the eggs aren't nice brown speckled ones, but didn't have the time to do more with them. Still have on ebay some wonderful raku beads that would have done nicely, but in two years, they've never gone on sale. . . .

For the most part, chicken fathers are way too big a scale for what I do. I did save some from a baby blue jay one of the cats took care of a few years ago.

The macrame hanging sounds *wonderful* ~~ send the pic to both Jo and I, but I can almost promise that I won't be allowed to post it.

listener said...

whitznd, sweet congratulations on your anniversary of kiss!

On Friday, Bill and I will observe the 40th anniversary of our engagement!

Time sure flies when you're with the right person. ;-)


We had a very nice Christmas, having been with all three Grands.

puddle said...

We've got a bright gray day going on here. When I saw the moon last night on my way to bed at two, I figured we weren't getting any more snow, so will have to settle for yesterday's four inches, I guess.

Guy, unknown to me, came by in a pickup to plow the hill for Nancy, my uproad neighbor, I imagine, who's coming home from Tennessee tomorrow. He did fine till he hit the first hill. . . . (worst on the road to her place). Don't know if he'll call in the big guns or not. If not, she's in trubble.

whitznd said...

Yes, Listner, time surely does fly when you're with the right one. And it seems to be the natural order of things. Seems we've been together forever, yet I spent 30 years in a marriage with NOT the right person. To unsure of myself to take the big step of letting go of the known and stepping into the unknown.

Puddle, sent two pictures via your FB message/email. Did them WAY too late last night and did not edit (turn 90degrees) any of them. Hope you can see them. Chickie's wing feathers are 4 - 6" long, but some of her under feathers are soft and fuzzy and between 1/2 - 2". I'll try to send you some more pix via FB if you say ok, otherwise, I'll find another way to get them to you.

puddle said...

Barb, they were turned around by the time I got them. But they won't open on facebook (well, one did for about a minute, lol!). Sent you my home email.

You might could think about making a feather bed, lol! My sister just stuffed a bench cushion with feathers: looks altogether fetching.

puddle said...

Finished my granddaughter's tree, am well into my daughter in law's. They're ALL gorgeous, even if I say so myself, but I think I like my grandson's best, so far. Biggest disappointment: the wonder little iridescent glass fish bead almost disappear into the green.

Also finished up the needle felting on the 1" tall dogs for Nancy's tree. The chow is a whole lot oranger than the actual dog, but the so-called rust roving I got was puce, so I didn't really have a choice, lol! Finding out interesting things to do with all the roving I know own is a winter's project on it's own. Can't imagine trying to do it in hot weather.

puddle said...

Well, finished my DIL's tree, and it is SO pretty! Maybe I just like the one I'm working on best?

Finished the tree whilst waiting for Beau (who made a great escape) to come home.

All's well that ends well, eh?

puddle said...

Didn't get to bed till five--after I finished *really* repairing the cable. Wrapped the knot with wire, aluminum tape and more wire. Asking Cooter to bring a new one with him, as this is clearly no permanent solution, but should hold till Sunday, Lord willing and the crick don't rise.

Sometime, someone came and plowed the road all the way up the hill, as far as I can see, so I assume all the way to Nancy's place. With luck, she won't need her chains. I love her house, I love her view, and could *never* do her road. Guess there's price for everything.

Pat said...

Just a quick hello, then downstairs to read by the fire. It's COLD here, about 6 degrees F. today, though it went up into the 20s.

A nice Christmas: we took the children and their families to Sofia's Bistro for Christmas dinner. It felt like all had a good time.

As I get older, I feel the chill more. Haven't walked Molly for three days. Even though the rest of me is warm, my nose is cold. Do you suppose someone can die of a cold nose?

Anyway, glad you are here. I've enjoyed reading about your Spirit Trees, Puddle. They are beautiful, I'm sure, both in spirit and in art.

Well, off to the warm. Take care of yourselves.

puddle said...

Another sprinkling of snow. Then sun. Then a little more snow. Don't think we'll get 2". . . .

Beginning to feel a bit pushed. A feeling I don't like at all. Back in the day, I used to see want ads for workers who "thrived on deadline pressure"--all I could think was why would I want to work in a place that prides itself on being disorganized, lol!?

My nose is fine, Pat, but some nights, the feet make me wonder about the same thing.

Shirlee in NC said...

Same trouble with cold feet here--try to wear socks to bed--but the best are some felted knit wool slippers my Cinci daughter Dana makes--wonderful!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

ladies these are the last socks you'll ever have to buy - they have a lifetime guarantee. the US military wears them because they are so tough - Darn Tough Vermont socks, I am wearing a pair now. My feet are never cold running around in my sockfeet and they never sweat. I can't wear boots right now (nerves are still healing in my heel) so I wear these socks with clogs and the snow doesn't even cling to the socks, my feet aren't cold or wet at all and I jusr came in from a trip to the store. I had to brush snow away from my ankles where it stuck to my pants but the socks were clean as a whistle! They were a gift and are probably expensive but I would pay mquite a bit for a pair!

this link will list stores that carry them near you: http://darntough.com/getem.php

Shirlee in NC said...

Thanks, Jo--they sound great. What is the texture against bare feet like?

Shirlee in NC said...

I found 'em--thanks Jo--merino wool looks wonderful. Good prices also. You all must love cool socks.
My favorites right now are re-cycled cotton, mix n match colors from socklady.com --somewhere in Vermont!

puddle said...

Gorgeous socks, both places. I've tried sleeping in socks: keeps me awake. Don't know why. My best bet is to make sure they're warm when I go to bed. And then make a little nest of my quilts around the bottom of the bed so they don't lose that heat.

Just finishing the last tree. The *star* for the last tree. Heating bathwater. Going to try for an early night tonight, and then up early and get pictures. And try and figure out how to wrap them. And do some straitening up.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

Shirlee the socks are sooo soft and comfortable! when it's really cold for a few days straight my kitchen floor gets chilly and these socks keep me warmer than anything I own inclusing a couple pair of slippers! the temp never changes whether I'm in a warm room or on cold floors.

puddle how exciting that you are celebrating Christmas and the new year together! may you rest well and may the boy not go running tonight! xo

puddle said...

Numbers hadn't changed in a long time, so I was GLAD to see *this*:

Obama 51.06% Romney 47.21%

whitznd said...

Good morning all. Spent "New Christmas" with daughter Kristy and my grandson Brenden yesterday so was busy cooking and cleaning all day yesterday. Today will be a day of getting all Christmas decor back into the attic.

Much love to all.

puddle said...

Very cold today. Well, pretty cold. But blessedly, they've brought the prediction for the overnight temps up from minus five to plus ten. MUCH more liveable.

Took my first nap in *weeks* today. Relief at being done.

Shirlee in NC said...

Lovely Sunday, here in GSO at 216. Brenda suggested, planned a visit from our young friend Rachelle who now has a full time job. She is much fun to be around--and full of stories about her family, etc.

Stay warm y,all up there. It seems cold here to me and not THAT far from Puddle but we seem quite a bit warmer than she reports. Altitude maybe--we have rolling hills, she has some mountains.

Sleep well.

puddle said...

Doesn't look like we got negative temps overnight. It's 20º -- which I don't consider toasty but it's sure not minus five!

For me this year's been almost totally dedicated to recovery. May that continue in the next, but take a back seat to other more interesting endeavors, lol!

Kiddle and grands arrive in a few hours for an abbreviated Christmas. Our one and only local motel has come up with a review which includes bed bugs, so they skipped the overnighter, and I'm grateful to them for not carrying the critters here: I don't have that much energy! Fifteen years ago, a neighbor brought her flea ridden dog along on a visit, and I still cannot believe what it took to get rid of those fleas!! Months and months, and hundreds of bucks.

Still haven't figured out how to wrap the trees. Maybe I won't: just put them in another room and bring them in, one at a time? Now, off to take pictures of them.

puddle said...

Phil Specht

Older and wiser.

Tending not to have time
for fantasies (change especially)
Incrementalism might be today’s word;
love a little more, give a little more.
Patience with self, others. Every time.
No illusions of radicalism (even for an old radical).
But action, yes! Steady and in the right direction.

whitznd said...

Wow. What a great poem. Yes, we all are a bit older and wiser.

Shirlee in NC said...

Love Phil's poem--wish we could entice him to stop in here.

Have a wondeful day with the kiddle, & gkiddles?

Happy New Year's Eve Day to all.

Pat said...

Happy New Year Friends.

Thanks for posting Phil's poem, Puddle. A good way to start the new year.

May the people of the world be peaceful and happy, and we all continue to grow in understanding and good will.

puddle said...

Remarkable Christmas the kiddle and giddles (thanks Shirlee!). AND I have a new phone, programed, with two handsets, charging. My 110 gallon water tank is plumb full, my kitchen 20 gallon water keeper is, too, and I have five additional five gallon buckets with about four gallons each sitting, waiting for me to wash something, lol! Beau's cable has a master repair on it; he has 30 pounds of dogfood, my trash is burned, and into the bargain had a really great time with everybody, who seemed to love their trees.

Snow still frozen crunchy, so no problems with slipping or sliding either coming in or leaving, though the kids were marshaled to do pushing if needed. Not needed, but he did pause after getting across the bridge to let them in.

Tired and happy, and not even going to try waiting up for the witching hour!

Glad the cliff has been averted.

Shirlee in NC said...

Night owl here wishing everyone a Happy New Year!!!!

It has been a wonderful 2012 getting to know some bfa'ers--Thank you again JO!!!!!

listener said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
listener said...

❄ . ❄ .❄ ❄ . ❄ ❄ . ❄. ❄ ❄ ❄ .❄ . ❄ . ❄. ❄ ❄ . ❄.❄
HAPPY ❄ NEW ❄ YEAR ❄ DEAN ❄ LOVERS!!
❄ ❄ ❄ .❄ . ❄ . ❄ . ❄ ❄ ❄ .❄ . ❄ ❄ . ❄ ❄ . ❄ ❄ ❄ .❄

listener said...

That was my delete. ;-) Must remember to Preview! Ha!

listener said...

puddle, I can hardly wait to hear what they think of the trees! I loved your idear of bringing them in one at a time! How'd it go?

Happy Happy!

Shirlee in NC said...

Happy AFTER THE HOLIDAYS holiday, folks. I have always loved this time--house still decorated, a few goodies left to be eaten, time to relax and savor the memories--as well as read new books, etc :)

puddle said...

They voted on who got to go in which order. Son commented that only the first would be surprised, as everyone else would then know what they were getting. He was right--approximately. It's pretty clear that each was pretty delighted with what was on their tree. Then brought out their mother's tree, and their grandfather's, and talked a bit about what was on each. And why. I was pretty happy with the reactions.

Said to Sam: please tell me you still want to be a dolphin trainer. She grinned her shy 14 year old's grin, and said, no not really: just some kind of marine biologist. . . . So even though she had more dolphins than anything else, she also had seahorses, and fishies, several kinds of shells, a stingray and an octopus. . . . and some musical notes, 'cause she plays the clarinet.

Pat said...

Good Morning and Happy 2013.

I've enjoyed your telling us of Spirit Trees, Puddle. Thank you. I'd love to see a photo of each of them.

We've been watching C-SPAN, the convening of the House to vote on the amendment passed by the Senate last night. There is really a divide in logic and intelligence between the two parties. How is it that the Democrats have intelligence and the Republicans have, well, what do they have? It isn't intelligence or logic.

We heard from Issa of California, Bachman from Iowa, need I say more?

And the 8 Democrats who voted against the bill in the Senate are the following - from the Wall Street Journal online.

"Despite concerns raised by some Senate Democrats, the bill was approved by a strong 89-8 vote, with a majority of both parties in support.

One of the most strident opponents was Democratic Sen. Tom Harkin of Iowa. Speaking on the Senate floor shortly before the vote, he declared the compromise benefited the wealthiest Americans at the expense of those who could afford it the least.

"Maybe now we are all believers of trickle-down economics. Not I," Mr. Harkin said, declaring he would vote against the legislation.

The other seven senators voting against the bill were Democrats Tom Carper of Delaware and Michael Bennet of Colorado and Republicans Charles Grassley of Iowa, Mike Lee of Utah, Rand Paul of Kentucky, Marco Rubio of Florida and Richard Shelby of Alabama.

The delay in approval meant that the U.S. technically went over the fiscal cliff at midnight, but with U.S. markets closed Tuesday, the impact of missing the deadline could be minimal. What damage the wrangling has caused—to the 2013 tax-filing season and consumer confidence—is already done."

puddle said...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-J2E0kSgoCO4/UOMHIG0bg_I/AAAAAAAAHSY/Iclb6jANrmk/s1600/26.PNG

Picture of my ex's tree, along with Mr. Beau, the ever curious. . . .

AND: http://puddleriverstudios.blogspot.com/2013/01/some-pics-of-finished-trees.html

And praise be, blogger let me upload and post pictures!! May it be the sign of the coming year!

puddle said...

Phil's with Harkin. But I don't mind that kind of vote since it was expressing a personal opinion in a situation where it wouldn't do any harm--sort of like most of Kucinich's votes, lol!

Pat said...

Thanks, Puddle, what a log of thought, effort, and memory in the Spirit trees. Thank you. Your first URL didn't have a match on Google, but the activated one brought me to the trees.

I was Suprised at Harkin and Bennetts' votes, but if they weren't destructive, then I'm okay with them, a personal protest knowing that the bill was going to pass.

Pat said...

typo, excuse please. Lot of thought, not log of thought, though they are trees. ; )

puddle said...

Pat, doesn't matter, the first link is included in the second (also don't have a clue why it didn't go live).

With Waterfox, if you highlight a link, and right click, it offers you an option to just open in a new tab or window.

I wish the pictures were better, but the taking of them was so late I didn't have time to find another site once I realized that the height of that one made it impossible for me to shoot with still hands. SO I took a few extra which were just as bad, alas.

I should prolly get about finishing the rest of the planned trees before the impulse fades.

puddle said...

House just passed the Senate bill.

Now we can rest for approximately two minutes before the next battle begins.

Anyone else deathly tired of Republicans?

Shirlee in NC said...

Looks as though the
fiscal bill will come to a vote in the House. Always good to see that cocky, mean spirited Cantor upset :) If it doesn't pass think the TP and Boehner are DONE!!!!

listener said...

It passed in the House WITHOUT Amendments!

It's a start.

puddle said...

Glad that one's over. Guess it's not to worry for two months, since they don't do anything till the last 48 hours any ways.

THIS is interesting and important: http://www.calitics.com/diary/14774/what-california-can-teach-america-about-stopping-extremist-obstruction

listener said...

You know it's cold outside when you have to wear a fleece vest to bake in the kitchen! I made Rugelach tonight!

Currently -11F on the back porch.
Builds character. ;-)

How's it at your house, Jo? Take care!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

hi listener - it's chilly - about 8 below zero, light wind. yes, it builds character for sure, but I'm glad this won't be a long deep-freeze!

will try to get a new thread up soon... ;-)

Shirlee in NC said...

Well, you northern folks just keep building character!
This my third winter as far north as North Carolina--and apparently we are having a pretty "normal' winter--a little colder. However, my body has not adjusted from the lovely, mostly blue sky January of the TX gulf coast.
Have no idea what is happening to my character--too busy trying to keep warm :)

Jo_in_Vermont said...

LOL, I think more than building character this type of weather builds an appreciation for the other 3 seasons which are typically much kinder to we frail human beings.

Shirlee I would rather have the coldest winter than the heat and humidity of the south. I know we can adapt to our climate but I think it would take me a long to to (if ever) adjust to that hot stuff. it makes me weak and tired and grumpy when we have temps in the high 80s or 90s for even a few days in a row. I hate air conditioning but will use it, am thankful that I have it but I don't like it one bit. give me fresh air and most times we have plenty of that at decent temps. my other 3 seasons give me enough days of perfect temps, cool breezes and beautiful landscape to keep me here forever. grin!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

when I was growing up - youth to oh, about 30 yrs old or so - we could almost tell you what day the first snow would fall, when the temps would rise or drop - it was nearly the same every year. we might have a slightly warmer or dryer summer, more snow from year to year but the seasons usually began within the same time of the month each year.

Between them Jan and Feb had at least 3 weeks of temps below zero and fierce winds, often with a light, dry, blowing snow. In March it thawed and if we were lucky (this still holds!) we would have many days of temps above freezing with it dropping below freezing at night. that's what makes the sap flow well and makes for a great maple season. In April it rained and warmed a bit more, in May it leveled off and we saw few nights below 40 degrees. The sun came out more often and the leaves and flowers suddenly appeared and the landscape turned from brown and grey to green, green, green - every shade of green! In June it started to really warm up and in July and August we had our hottest weather - and by late June the lake was a refreshing 60+ degrees and we'd swim moe often. but do you know that it almost never hit 90 degrees in Vermont and if it did it was just for a day or two each summer. Now we are apt to see 90s in May, June, July and August, sometimes in September and it appears that this has become the new norm. In September things cooled off quickly, the first leaves started to turn color and you could smell that crisp, cool scent in the air. In October the last of the hardy vegetables had to be picked and prep for winter had better happen soon, it's getting cold at night! Mid-November brought our first snows and frosty weather, becoming constant enough to freeze the ground and December had plentiful snow and cold but the solstice with it's gift of more light gave us hope as we headed into the deep of winter again.

That's my memory of the seasons in Vermont, I wonder how accurate my memory really is!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

I need to clarify - those cold weeks in Jan and Feb were typically 10 - 20 degrees below zero for what seemed like days on end. it was dark and depressing and hard to get through, whether just getting out for errands or fighting to keep your car starting day after day to get to work and back in that weather. The greatest fear for many I think was to become stranded on some side or back road and with cell phones still decades away we were dependent on the hope that some stranger would come by to save us. Reed has a story about doing just that a few years ago for 2 ladies (from NYC, I thnk) who turned the wrong way and ended up stranded on a back road that he was plowing.

The lake froze over solid, which it seldom does now and we fished out on ice so thick that there would be little cities of shanties with trucks and cars full of people meeting at the best fishing spots. Many would sell their perch or smelt and there is nothing tastier than a perch caught from cold water and there is nothing easier to clean than a frozen fish! They would have snowmobile races on the lake, we would all park on the ice like a big parking lot and it would hold us all.

I think we were tougher then, we do what we have to do and as it becomes a bit more temperate here we are 'softer' I think. The cold hurts more, it takes longer to adjust to it when it comes, but then we have had one of the warmest autumns in a long time and when it goes down to 30 for a day or 2 and then back up to the 50s for days it is hard to adjust!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

follishly (?!) the adult drink of choice whether ice fishing, skating or watching a race seemed to be peppermint schnapps, chilled by nature1 ;-)

Shirlee in NC said...

Jo--thanks for your delightful description of life in Vermont--now and then.
I spent a little time in New England during a couple of summers of the late 70'. Finishing up photography and note
taking on early grave stones for a research project.
I remember enjoying Vermont because folks were so laid back and friendly.
We were there in late summer--had Brenda and Dana in tow--ages 13 and 17. Headed for Mass. to find the origins of symbols used in mid-MI whose early settlers came from there.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

That sounds like an interesting trip Shirlee. one of the facebook pages that I like is Green Mountain Graveyards, they have a photo blog you might be interested in checking out:

http://greenmountaingraveyards.tumblr.com/

Please come back to Vermont sometime and be sure that it's in warmer weather!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

ha ha - I just checked it out and the first page is all photos of a cemetary in CA - it's beautiful!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

ha ha again - I knew that I spelled that wrong as soon as I hit enter. cemetery!

Pat said...

Just a wave by. I've enjoyed the discussions of weather and place.

A nice day, but cold here. We went to Les Miserables yesterday. It was wonderful, haven't cried at a movie in years. What a bounty of outstanding films: The Life of Pi, Lincoln, Cloud Atlas, The Hobbit, and Les Miserables. We've become movie junkies, haven't seen these many in years and years. Then Anna Karenina, Parental Guidance, and others coming up, just superb. David says he's getting sick of popcorn.

If I were still teaching Film Studies, what a feast to add to the curriculum.

Take care, friends.

puddle said...

Yesterday day got swept away by the Waltons. Today we have a helio tree trimmer. A helicopter with a hangydowny boom with a saw and claws attached. Working in aid of the electric company. Clearing the right of way for the power lines. After last summer's outage, a welcome sight. Beau is fascinated.

They just did a tree across the river. And then six guys in the ground crew picked up branches and tossed them off the road. Moved up the hill. If it keeps the electric on next time, I kin wit dat.

listener said...

♡ AWESOME ALLY UPDATE!!! ♡

Happy New Year!

We have had a great month since the last time I updated. Ally's medication is going well. She takes half a pill in the morning and half a pill in the afternoon. She chews them up, no problem, and washes them down with juice or milk. We have already noticed her gaining weight. She is starting to look really good. We can still see her ribs, but we can't count them individually anymore. It is nice to hear her say she is hungry all the time.

Christmas was a magical day! Santa brought her everything she truly wanted (mostly a Vet Kit, followed by a princess dress and a sleeping bag). She played with her vet kit, and only her vet kit for 2 days straight. She has moved on to the other toys and games she received, but her favorite is definitely the vet kit. She did get to use her sleeping bag at Grammie and Grampa's house. She had a successful sleep over, with no trips to the ER! Grammie and Grampa were very diligent in making sure she ate, ate, ate...and had lots of fun. I am pretty sure she did not want to come home.

We also had a nice visit with other family members. I attempted to teach a few of them how to knit, and Ally entertained everyone. Again, she didn't want to leave. We had other adventures over vacation, including LOTS of fun in the snow, Polar Express Hot Cocoa, and a couple of play dates.

My favorite part (and a highlight for Ally) happened this past Wednesday night. She and I went to the Capitol Center for the Arts and saw the Broadway production of Beauty and the Beast. I would say it was in my top 5 lifetime experiences. The show itself was fantastic, and watching Ally watch the show was just as entertaining. I am still smiling about it 2 days later. I can't wait for us to see it again. (Check out the picture insert to see the beauty-ful dress Grammie and Grampa got for Ally to wear to the theater.)

We are now back in our regular work/school routine. Ally is glad to see her Grandparents (I think she was getting tired of me), and make them do her bidding! (At least, that's what she tells me on the way home from picking her up.)

Ally does have a scan coming up this month, and we have a follow up with the endocrinologist. We are hoping to coordinate those trips. We also have 2 birthday parties to attend and Ally turns 6 on the 30th! I'll be sure to update about scans and her birthday.

We hope that 2013 is as awesome as 2012 was!

listener said...

If this works right, this will be a photo of Ally and her Mom as they left for "Beauty and the Beast."

http://www.caringbridge.org/tres/images/photos/6/2/5/62522/l.McPqCrSpgEeHlxmN.jpg

puddle said...

Tale of two children. So glad to hear that Ally's doing so well; devastated to learn that Tanner has a new cancer: leukemia. Started in hospital chemo before Thanksgiving. It didn't take, so they gave the family a break and let him go home for Christmas. Whole process is complicated because of the drugs he takes because of the transplant. They could use some prayer if you're of a mind to.

puddle said...

Nancy put up some pictures of the tree guy yesterday. I don't know if they're public or not, 'cause I can see 'em, but I'm a friend. In case you can, this is my country, taken uproad between my place and hers: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=389147607845380&set=pcb.389150927845048&type=1&relevant_count=3&ref=nf

Turns out I was wrong: no claws--this one doesn't cut whole trees, just branches. There's a large saw at the top, and a row of smaller saws underneath. Amazing technology

whitznd said...

So glad Ally is doing well,that indeed is good news. So sorry to hear about Tanner. Thoughts and well wishes out to both children and their families.

Shirlee in NC said...

Duke Energy is going through Greensboro on a rampage. Not just trimming where need be--but taking huge, old lovely trees without thought--and leaving the property owner with the expense of cleaning up. GSO is proud of its trees, the city does a good job of disposing of fallen leaves, etc.
Duke has WAY too much control in this area. Happy Saturday!!!!

puddle said...

Am working my way through the Waltons again. Funny: '73 was forty years past the opening year, 1933; and now we're another forty years past that. That first forty seemed like light years, these second forty, like a blink of an eye.

puddle said...

Shirlee, when I was first getting my electricity, the number of trees the power company took was astonishing to me. I got the notion that what I think is innocent is clearly not *their* view of it. They seemed under the impression that ANY tree was a threat to their wires. Even ones ten feet *below*. . . . Their theory was they'd GROW. . . .

One of my favorite hemlocks here was "toothbrushed" -- one side completely shaved, leaving just a plume on the top. It of course died, and then about five years later went down during a flood, and subsequent floods ate even further back into the bank, leaving me the giant hole that I have now. . . They look ahead into their wires' futures, not the land or the rest of us's futures. . . .

Had a friend who worked in the legal department of the power company when Maryland passed the law forbidding any but buried cables for new power. The company fought it for years, saying they couldn't afford it. When they finally got about it, turned out that it was cheaper, long run, to bury the lines, because that ended the continual maintenance that I'm experiencing now. . . .

puddle said...

"our" futures. . . .

Shirlee in NC said...

I guess it is time to put away the Christmas decorations--but I always want to keep them longer--so do it in stages. Shiny red and gold balls got taken down and put away. LED lights on my branches in big jug stay until this last set of batteries gives out. Small clay Mexican nativity scene stays up all year--just because I love it.
Hope everyone had a lovely Sunday.

listener said...

My heart aches for Tanner and his Mom.
I want to see a photo of him in three years and see his cheeks plumping up a little bit, like Ally's are now. ♡

Shirlee, I'm the same. I waited until midnight tonight to turn off the outdoor Christmas tree. When January feels dark we sometimes turn it on each evening all the way to Candlemas (Groundhog Day on Feb 2nd), and the neighbours thank us!

Indoors, we didn't do a tree this year, but we have had a Kissing Ball hanging in the corner where the tree usually goes. It's made of spruce branches and is adorned with red ribbons. We added a string of battery operated LED lights and it has an old-fashioned Tasha Tudor look. We hate to see it go, so we'll hang it on the front porch, at least until Ash Wednesday. The great thing is that even though it's intended as an outdoor decoration and has had no source of water, it has lost very few needles! The florist said if it lost a lot of needles we could bring it back and she'd give us a new one...! But it was never a problem. I have vacuumed exactly ONCE under it, since mid-December!!

We were glad to not need to cut down a tree this year. I just read a children's book about a family that did its Christmas tree a different way. For weeks they would make special ornaments. Then they'd go out into their woods and select the perfect Christmas tree. But they didn't cut it. Instead they'd decorate it right there in the woods, bringing along a thermos of hit chocolate and some Christmas treats and they have a little feast there, and sing around the tree. All the ornaments were items that would feed the wildlife, from strings of popcorn to seed balls to apples and other fruit. They made sure to spread some on the ground around the tree, too, for the creatures who cannot climb. I want to start this tradition with our grandchildren next year!

listener said...

hit chocolate = hot chocolate

puddle said...

Lol! Ally will have to go a long way for cheeks as full as Tanner's. His are the effects of the prednisone he takes. . . .

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151347317297107&set=a.10150538866102107.424251.314489567106&type=1&relevant_count=1 The hat is to obscure the fact that he's bald from the chemo.

puddle said...

Tanner on the way back to the hospital today for the next round.

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=tanne

puddle said...


http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=tanne

Pat said...

Thank you, Puddle, for providing the candles. I'm so sorry to hear of Tanner's recurrent cancer.

I'm happy for Ally and her parents and grandparents. How hard it is to see children suffer.

Have been busy here working on a manuscript called Storm Mountain: Where We Are Home. I have to laugh though, I'm thoroughly sick of my own voice. I have about three days to complete it. We'll see.

Otherwise, very quiet here, have been reading Sherman Alexie's Blasphemy, an anthology of his short stories. While is a vibrant, humorous, accomplished writer the overall effect for me is sadness at the terrible conditions of the Indian Reservations and the loss of something intrinsic to self esteem, cultural validity. It feels hopeless to me.

Well, glad you are here, glad to be able to join in now and then.

puddle said...

Oh, ugh! Knees decided to act up today: I feel ninety, and not a young ninety, either. Far's I can see nothing different today from yesterday: same weather, food, sleep, rest, reading. We ARE coming into a warm patch at the end of the week. Which doesn't seem like it could explain what my damn knees are doing today. Ick, ack, and awk.

puddle said...

New thread!!!