Tuesday, August 20, 2013

This *isn't* new, is it?

John Stuart Mill’s dictum:
I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it.

hattip to Maha  (here)

118 comments:

Shirlee in NC said...

Oh, thank you Puddle--just fits my mood for the day after a memo from our manager detailing what is happening at the complex. The kicker was that she appended a quote from
John D. Rockefeller, Jr --"...the world owes no man a living
but it owes every man an opportunity to make a living."
Ack--how are those opportunities developed, etc.????

SO good to have you back!!!

whitznd said...

No, Not new! Thanks for posting.

whitznd said...

I have a theory by Burt, but can't post it until later. It's at home, and I'm at work...

But, Howard's still first!

whitznd said...

Ok, here's the really abbreviated version:

Liberals are interested in making a deal (compromise) where everyone benefits.

Conservatives are driven by fear and therefore, are not interested in making a deal (compromise).

Unless the Liberals can reassure Conservatives that their fears are unfounded, we as a country, will not move ahead.

whitznd said...

Here's the short version (Burt will expand on this at some future time to be at least 500 words):

Liberals operate on a gain/loss axis. Conservatives work on a danger/safety axis. These two axes are at right angles to each other. The possibilities for compromise are greater on the gain/loss axis because everyone can get some of what they want.

Unfortunately, powerful, wealthy people have convinced many conservative voters that giving liberals any part of what they want (i.e. compromise) will put conservatives in danger. Therefore they are not interested in any deal that would “compromise” their “safety” even a little.

The only way to move forward is to convince conservatives that giving liberals some of the things they want will make conservatives “safer.” A good way to proceed is to ask conservatives what they are concerned about and then to ask them to explain it in detail. Do not argue. Let them find out that they are not really as sure about what they fear as they thought they were. Then raise the possibility that they could benefit from a compromise without directly attacking their original position. Stress how compromise could make them safer.

listener said...

whitznd! That sounds very much like something Howard Dean would say!

So why is he visiting Iowa and NH??
And what's this about a dye job?

Is something brewing?

whitznd said...

I wondered about that myself, Listener. Thought he was lookin' pretty fine the other night on TV. Fingers crossed!

puddle said...

I think it's possible to talk with conservatives. Unfortunately, I think not with teabaggers. My ongoing "conversation" with my sister in law and niece (no blood relationship with either, nor they to each other-- different brothers, lol!) (one a bit dull and paranoid, the other young, bright, and hopeful) has proved to me that it's possible to live in a world created simply out of choice with zero connection with any fact or reality. Most recent assertions, for instance, have been that Benghazi matters, and that Trayvon Martin had *nothing* to do with race.

Howard, BTW, dyed his hair last year. There were a number of negative comments about it on his facebook page (mine among them). listener's pics from this summer looked like he'd either let it grow out, fade, or got a better hairdresser. . . . https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151539012767505&set=a.448363712504.239588.34668722504&type=1&source=11

puddle said...

Exempli gratia http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/08/21/2503281/louisiana-republicans-blame-president-obama-katrina-response/

whitznd said...

Well, I guess that you could replace "conservatives" with "Teabaggers". But I don't think that you'd be getting anywhere with them.

Not even bright enough to know which Prez was on duty during what disaster.

Looks like a better hairdresser for Howie. He really looked good the other night.

Pat said...

It's gladness that you're back, Puddle.

We visited the Pawnee Grasslands on Monday. The heavy machinery, the dust, the tanks of oil and no pronghorn antelopes nor meadowlarks. They are destroying these amazing grasslands with their drilling for oil shale.

Here's a rough poem about it.

Gas From Shale
In the Pawnee Grasslands


Great turfs of clouds
Rolling hedges
Hills, mounds
A land sky
Leached of sun and rain.
We prayed though
We didn’t talk about it,
Rain, Rain, Rain,
Come to us, we are
Dying here, the land
Gray with dust.
It would take years of
Rain to cleanse
Our greed, the heavy
Trucks, drilling machinery
The liquid that let us
Skim the earth, fill
The skies with killing heat.

listener said...

"Poetry is truth dwelling in beauty."

Especially when you write it, Pat...!

listener said...

People are beginning to talk...

There is speculation about the next election cycle
because Howard Dean is making trips to Iowa and Utah
and next month New Hampshire.

What I recall him saying at the Reunion is that he won't run if Hillary is running,
and he won't run unless he feels the issues aren't being sufficiently discussed and addressed.

So, I don't know if this means he's running, but it must at least mean
he is planning to take part in the election cycle conversation.

If he runs, though, I'll definitely be volunteering at HQ again!!!

listener said...

Wait, wait, here it is:

http://www.radioiowa.com/2013/08/21/howard-dean-most-likely-to-support-hillary-in-2016-audio/

Shirlee in NC said...

Thank you, Listener so much for this link. Howard is the same feisty, dedicated, intelligent leader I remember.
I loved hearing his voice again. I think this is his great strength--getting the troops out and laying out an honest
Path forward. So good to hear his voice.

Banner day on the blog--Puddle is back and a link to H.D.!!!

Pat said...

Quick good night. Hot today again, a few splatters of rain.

Yes, for some reason, probably this blog, Howard Dean has been on my mind. What loyalty he engendered and still does, an honest man, a passionate man, a man of intelligence and inspiration.

Listener, thank you for the compliment. I get so excited when something comes together that I want to share it. It may need some work.

Yes, great to have you back, Puddle.

Since I wake at 4, I'm folding now at 8. Good Night, friends.

listener said...

Howard Dean told the local press today that he is slated to be a visiting professor / lecturer at the University of Vermont this year!

whitznd said...

Whoooo Hoooooo, Listener. Good news indeed.

Shirlee in NC said...

Depressed her in GSO. The International Civil Rights Musem (where the four African-American college students began a sit- in that influenced the whole civil rights movement) needs new leadership and is asking the city for help. What is our city council doing? Refusing to address the problem while they put their efforts to funding a $60 million dollar huge downtown performing arts center. Which would be nice but at what cost to local theater groups.
Apparently they are going ahead with private funding which lets them by-pass the voter. There is appropriate city land near the museum and library so that is not the problem. I find it offensive because making this stark choice between the two seems to me to be the old racial,divide. Most of the tickets for the name groups they hope to bring in would not be affordable to many, many-- if not most of the town.

Puddle, please send your light to The Triad, The historic Carolina and other small venues!!

listener said...

Rise up, citizens of GSO! And when you do, you will discover some leaders among you. And I think I have a Museum job or two to recommend for those leaders.

{{{ Let there be Light! }}}

listener said...

We got .74" of rain today. It came down fast and furious while I was at work at the library. Too bad, too, as one person had a diabetic reaction and had to be ambulanced, and her car was still there at the end of the day, locked, with one of it's back windows open a little bit. I wish we'd seen that before it poured, as we could have spread plastic over it.

listener said...

*its

puddle said...

Cool, gray, rainy day. Muggy. Made it to the store. The Jerusalem artichoke everywhere, and patches of New York Iron weed. Glorious! Contemplative coupe of days all told.

Shirlee, sorry about what's happening in Greensboro. Shame.

Jo, so glad the job process seems going your way. Love and light continue.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

beautiful day here - 70s, great breeze, lots of sun, high 40s tonight - and should be like this for a few more days at least. I love it and will enjoy whilke we have it! it was breezy enough in the kitchen to bake today so I made a new recipe for zucchini bread, made with greek yogurt. I thought it was 'okay' but my 3 year old grandson just gobbled it down - he actually danced when his Dad cut his third piece, LOL!!

thank you puddle, I am still hopeful but haven't heard a word yet. he said that he would get back to me by end of week, so... I don't know what to think. I have been trying to keep busy but I am tired and when I slow down I am thinking too much! if I was a drinker...!

Shirlee in NC said...

Still have fingers and toes crossed here for Jo! Daughter Dana thinks our vibrant small theater community would not be hurt by a larger facility bringing in more well known groups. So-- I am crossing that off my worry list and concentrating on the civil rights museum. Love this place--thanks again Jo.

listener said...

{{{ JO! }}} Waiting is the pits!

I's about stopped hoping before I got the call telling me I got the Library job. So I was really stunned when I was told! I had a fever during the interview and felt worse by the time the call came. It took me a day or so to believe it. (There are only 6 of us on staff.)

Pat said...

Morning,

Yes, waiting to hear is stressful. I can remember that when we moved here to Colorado. I applied to a small film company who offered me $325.00 a month, which was exactly what I needed. Someone else got the job advertised, but the company called back a couple of days later and offered me a different job.

There are things we can't control, but we certainly hope, pray, and try our best, and interestingly, that's usually rewarded.

Cooler today, overcast, my thoughts are with you, Jo.

listener said...

A few weeks ago someone who frequents the Library where I work came in to return some books. She is home schooling her three wonderful teenage daughters and they show such poise and kindness. So, as usual, I greeted her with "How are you today?" ... and learned that her mother had been feeling tired, so came to live with them a few months ago, but had just been diagnosed with cancer and had weeks to live...! They were all terribly stunned.

Today a friend told me that a lovely woman I used to work with at the Bookshop has died. Turns out the lovely woman I worked with is the Library member's mother!! I hadn't put their names together because the daughter has a married last name! I used to have long conversations with my dear coworker about home schooling, because we home schooled and her grands were home schooling.

Strange to discover I now know those very grandchildren...! I will be able to attend her service on Tuesday, just before I go to work.

listener said...

Apparently the nuclear crisis in Japan is far from over.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/world/asia/nuclear-operator-raises-alarm-on-crisis.html?_r=0

whitznd said...

Yes, that's true, Listener. Burt has been writing about the disaster since it started. The blog posts are not all lumped together as he has written about other stuff in between. but you can find them at nucleotidings.com. He's very thorough.

puddle said...

Sorry I've been so quiet today, didn't get much sleep last night: I was laughing too hard. I think the whole conspiracy thang has jumped the shark. . . .

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2013/08/23


http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/01/obama-mars/

Pat said...

Thanks for the links, Puddle. Yes, LOL LOL LOL

Shirlee in NC said...

Good to have some of Puddle's links. That whole other side of the political order in the US of A. has lost it!

Shirlee in NC said...

Party time in GSO!!! Another restaurant sponsored free concert in the large city parking lot. It just happens to be directly across the street from my bedroom. So here I am
with the best spot-- comfortably propped in my bed listening to a whole range of bands and all kinds of music!

Not depressed tonight:)

puddle said...

What a treat, Shirlee! Great fun, indeed.

Shirlee in NC said...

It is indeed! They have just now finished--a bit past the city
rule on outdoor music. I think, however, nobody is complaining--except those souls who move downtown and expect to find absolute quiet!

listener said...

Great nuclear link, puddle. Thanks!! Who is Burt?

puddle said...

That was Barb's nuclear link, and Burt is her honey, lol!

whitznd said...

Good morning (for some it might be afternoon, but morning to me as I just clawed my way out of bed) everyone! Shirlee, what a fantastic "party" they threw just for you. Amazing!

Yesterday was an amazing day for us. I drug Burt to a Progressive Book Club. The book being reviewed was "Collapse" by Jared Diamond. Most interesting book. Burt, of course, already had read it so could dialog at great length with the founder of the club.

Then they talked about many other subjects much to the delight and edification of the two that were sitting at the other end of the table (not part of the book "club", just patrons of the coffee shop. Which, btw, was next door to an LBGT Library, so many interesting people around). The main reason for going was to introduce Burt's "Mindfields" book since it was written specifically for progressive politicians. We recommended it as a selection for group discussion and review.

Then, since we wanted to eat dinner in the general area of where we were, and had time to kill, we explored the area where we were. Many interesting shops and coffee houses. I found a coffee roasting store that actually roasted their own decaf! YAY, now I can get it freshly ground AND local!

Then, since the parking meter was running out, we hopped back into the car and headed up to the place we were going to have dinner and parked again. We still had an hour to kill so went exploring again.

Went to the Theophysiological (spelling???) Book Store/Library that's been in the same place for 47 yrs. Burt has been going there for at least 30 of those. Burt has many Journals of Conscience that he would love to donate. Unfortunately, they just had 4 member pass on and leave they had no more room. They did, however, recommend another place Burt could try.

Then we popped into a new book store that was all about technology. Many programing books and two bookshelves of kits, many of which contained lots of little blinky lights. So Burt (as usual) was talking with the sales lady and was talking about many different kinds of books and how he was thinking about writing a book on technology himself and actually may have some technical books they'd like to have.

So I, as head of marketing) gave Burt's Rare Earths card with the back cover blip and his contact info. She looked at it and asked if he'd like to be "Author of the Month" and come in for a book signing and talk. WHOOOOO HOOOOOOO. I jumped on it! So she's going to pass the card on to the owner. Keep you're fingers crossed!

Then we went to the Metrix Create Space. A place where they do 3D printing. Burt had a lively conversation with a young many that had given up on his physics classes in favor of something that would actually give him a job and an income. That being said, he was so psyched after talking with Burt about a lot of new innovations that he might just go back into physics. Burt is sending him some articles on some 3D innovations that he hadn't heard of and will be very beneficial to his job there at the store.

Then we headed for the Blue Moon Burger place and had some fantastic burgers. THEN we headed to the Dilettante for some chocolate desert. We were going to have dinner there as well, but ran into the burger place and decided to give it a try.

All in all, a delightful and amazing day of exploring and interacting with interesting people.

Today, we clean house and do laundry. But with yesterday's memories, it will be a breeze.

Listener, I'm glad you liked Burt's links for is blog. Feel free to share for the edification of your friends and family.

whitznd said...

Oy, I really should read more carefully when I write stuff, but it's hard to follow in this little box. Yes, I should preview. But I think most of the meanings are easily understood.

Much love and hugs for my blog family.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

well, I've heard about the job. If something else doesn't happen soon I am so screwed.

Dear Jo. I'm writing to thank you for applying for our Online Community Manager position and to let you know that we selected a different candidate. We were fortunate to have many compelling candidates, and your application in particular brought a richness to our discussions, which is much appreciated. Thank you and best wishes with your next endeavors. -Michael

Shirlee in NC said...

Oh, Jo---I am so sorry. I guess potential employers don't/can't say exactly WHY they chose another person.
I think that is too bad-- it might help the person who didn't get the job in future interviews. Soothing, loving thoughts your way.

puddle said...

Ah, Jo! I am sooooooooooo sorry! I had *such* a good feeling about that one. Maybe there's some way to use them as a platform for something else? Maybe irrelevant, but I recall one summer when I was 20 that I didn't get a job as a camp counselor that I really expected, and it seemed like I was a shoo-in for. I was devastated. Wanted to wring my own neck. (My whole next year of college was dependent on that job.) Two weeks later, the housemother called: she'd pleaded with the board for another position, they'd given it to her, and she'd given it to me.

They seem like almost the perfect network for what you need. Shoot me if you don't need to hear any of this. Just know I love you, we love you, and our hearts are with you. And I'm going to have my angels give your angels a talking to. . . .

Shirlee in NC said...

Barb--yes it was fantastic. The restaurant that sponsors this is a local chain and apparently do it at least one of their
other locations. It is great exposure for local musicians and fun for those who want to actually join the large crowd as well as those of us who live near-by.

whitznd said...

Ah, Jo. I'm sorry also. It really frustrates me that they won't say exactly why one wasn't chosen. It would, indeed, help with further applications.

Love your way...

Pat said...

Hi Jo,

Just checking in. I'm sorry. There was so much encouragement from your interview, and he sounded so positive when I talked to him. But, don't give up. If there was one job like that, there are others. You could always ask him to recommend you for another job.

Hang on, I know there is a job just for you that will use your talents and values.

Sigh! Thoughts your way.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

thanks for the good wishes my friends! I'm okay, just disappointed and worried. at least I got further in the process this time. I replied to him with a brief but sweet (I think) and sincere thanks.

listener said...

I got to visit The Glass Flowers exhibit at the Harvard Museum of Natural History today. I visited there when I was a child, but never found the place again until now. I was mesmerised then and even mores now!!

Wanna see?

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151913667116754.1073741867.637766753&type=1&l=c6e5c01c36

listener said...

mores = moreso

listener said...

♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥
Aw, fiddlesticks, Jo. I'm stunned you didn't get the job, because you ARE perfect for it. I know it's achingly difficult to wait past when it's okay to wait. I'll keep my ears open! Maybe they'll need one more person and call you back yet. Sending love, prayers and hugs. What else would help? XOXOXXX June
♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥☆♥

listener said...

Jo, what about this one?

http://jobsinvt.com/seek/resultdetail.aspx?jobnum=886763

Jo_in_Vermont said...

thank you listener! that job would be great except that I can't do a 'lot' of typing, that's why my comments here and on facebook are usually brief or far between. or I spend a good deal of time typing up longer text. as a small part of a daily routine I can get by but things like consistant data entry, regular gardening, even say running items and bagging them at a grocery store are all things that would put me out of service pretty quickly. it limits the things that I can do for work and at home. the job at FPF is mostly automated, the responders have already dome the typing so would have been more tolerable.

and I'm sorry if I made it sound like I was simply tired of waiting, my concern is that if I don't find someting soon I may lose my house. very soon I will have to make up my mind to sell so that I don't lose more than $100k equity - the conundrum is IF I had a job I could tap into that and the fact that my payments for mortgage, taxes and insurance are so low - I can't live in a one room apartment for that amount per month.

listener said...

Ah Jo, I see your job selection dilemma.

Do you not qualify for aid of some sort? It sure seems to me that our nation needs to do more to ensure that good people who have earned a living and worked hard to build a life not lose their assets when they stop being as much a part of the work force! Native Americans honour the grandmothers of the tribe as their spiritual leaders. Part of this country's malaise is that we don't, as a society, truly honour our wise elders.

When I served on the Ecumenical Ministry here in town some years ago, there was a many generations old family farm about to be lost to unpaid back taxes. We (all the local churches banded together) voted to pay their back taxes and saved the farm...which is going strong today. Government is so impersonal it is blind.

What happens to you if you have to sell your home? Where then would you hang your hat and set up your keyboard?

Holding you in the Light! XOXOXXX

Shirlee in NC said...

Wonderful post, Listener. Thanks. I have been wondering the same thing. There should be SOME help for Jo. If not--anyone in the country is at the same risk.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

I applied for disability when I could not walk or care for myself, waiting for my hip replacement surgery. I was not eligible because it was expected that I wouldn't be laid up for an entire year - dumb huh?

as for my wrist, that was an injury at work, they gave me $4000 for a lifetime payment for the permanent injury to my dominate hand. that didn't even pay for what I lost in wages in 6 weeks. I know it doean't seem fair but I have it so much bettre than others that I try not to complain too often. I am grateful for what I have. as for what will I do if I sell the house? find the cheapest thing I can rent so that I don't run out of money too fast and keep prayng for a job that I can do.

puddle said...

http://eatapyzch.blogspot.com/2013/08/life-is-strange-paths-we-take-and-are.html

puddle said...

My friend and neighbor and egg lady starts radiation (breast cancer) today. The friend who's watching the chickens keeps the eggs this week. My mind and heart aren't staying too far from her this week.

Life is such a crap shoot: she's already a breast cancer survivor, and this is a new/different type from last time. She's got the HER2+ gene, so a tiny nodule, caught early, and clear lymph nodes has turned into a major life threatening deal. Been listening to Denise talk about Herceptin for years. Never imagined that it would be needful.

She's very lucky that she's eligible for seed radiation--I remember the huge radiation damage that Edwin walked away with, and lived with, so that's huge relief. But she's going to be in chemo until next summer. Denise is right about the Herceptin: it doubles survivability, but Lord, a year is a long long row to hoe.

Shirlee in NC said...

Oh, Puddle--thank you, thank you for your story and photo of your place on earth! Lovely. I imagined something like this-- but didn't have the color right.

Good thoughts for your neighbor/egg lady/friend. Cancer is such an insidious thing.

Pat said...

What a beautiful story, Puddle, of courage, trust, struggle, heartbreak, and the kindness of people and the universe.

No wonder you are so wise, have such compassion and breadth. Thank you for a story that fills me with admiration and empathy.

Jo, I've been thinking of you all day. Trust yourself, the universe. We love you.

listener said...

Jo...how long before you can collect Social Security? It's just so very WRONG for anyone in the USA to be without the basics. I know you take your sense of home with you, but I'm still sad you may have to consider selling your house. Holding you in the Light in the presence of the Universe. XOXOXXX

puddle, thanks for your story. I rather envy your ability to live okay on so little. If we all did that, there'd be plenty.

listener said...

Trust is good stuff. That said, one thing I learned as a chaplain intern was that outcomes aren't necessarily related to how many buckets of faith someone has. I trust that God wants good for us. I trust that the arc of the Universe bends towards justice. And sometimes bad things happen to good people at times anyway.

As clergy author Barbara Brown Taylor said so well in her book *God in Pain*:
What if God's will for Jesus was long life and success, and his death on the cross wasn't "the fulfillment of God's will" but the [temporary] frustration of it?

I think of God as The God of Contingency Planning. God sees our choices and the things that happen to us day after day and says, where needed, "This isn't what I hoped for you, but we can work with this. Draw near." In so doing, we co-create our lives with God.

listener said...

Jo, I am hoping you find a reasonably good job very soon. I believe that is still quite possible.

If the worst happens, what if you bought a small piece of land and had a dome house built? I know of a guy in MA who lives in one year 'round, with minimal cost of utilities. My son, who runs The Root Center, knows a lot about it. It's very inexpensive to build and maintain, and he may know some folks who would be willing to help with the labor. He felt strongly, when Haiti got hit by hurricane, that the agencies that went in to help with shelter should have put up domes. They go up quickly and withstand the elements well! You can see a dome house at the Root Center's website:

http://www.therootcenter.org

Also, note their mission statement:
"The Root Center is dedicated to the easement of the basic stressors of human life (providing food, water, shelter, energy and community) through the intelligent application of simple technologies, thereby building a cornerstone for a worldwide network of abundance to give every human being the time and dignity to lead fulfilling lives and elevate the quality of life for all."

listener said...

Dear puddle...I am so sad for your friend's life-threatening challenge. My heart will be companioning yours, as yours companions hers. ♥

Tomorrow I will be attending the funeral of a former coworker from the Bookshop. She was tired this Summer, so moved in with her daughter. A few weeks ago she got a diagnosis of Leukemia and a few weeks to live. She died a week ago. So harsh. I know her daughter and her grandchildren who are home schooling.

Everybody take care. ~ ♥ ~

Jo_in_Vermont said...

thank you for sharing puddle! and thank you all for the love and concern.

listener you will laugh but in the 70s that was my goal, to build a dome home! I did a lot of research on it and it was something that my husband could easily have done, he was very skilled in many things.

as it turned out my Dad had a long lean-to barn on his property and he offered to let us have it and 5 acres. I drew plans to redesign it into a home (that was my dream, to be an architect or a designer of something - I designed and sewed a lot of my own clothes too, I LOL now at the memory. (I had a drafting 'studio' in my huge bedroom in our 200+ year old house when I was 12). the house was almost finished when my parents divorced, we couldn't afforsd to buy it so they sold it with the rest of the property.

so we moved to an apartment in Rishmond VT. by then I was 22, my sons were 2 and 3 years old and little did we know that my husband's increasingly crazy and dangerous actions were an aneurism in his brain that was bleeding and expanding and was still almost a year away from making itself known to us. we were still living together but I had filed for divorce, I didn't plan to tell him until I had made plans for the boys and I to get away. I won't even get nto what life was like with him the last few years. I was our sole source of income, he refused to work or file for foodstamps or health insurance or any type of assistance, in those days it was up to the head of household so my hands were tied, it was work or starve, I hated leaving the boys with a neighbor while I was at work but I was blessed that she was there for us! on Dec 8, 1977 his aneurism blew and everything changed once again. anyway, I stayed with him for another two years, the docs still don't know why he survived it. so once again life happened. honest to God, I could write a book, but no one would want to read it!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

sending light and love to your friends who are fighting for life and who have departed. xoxoxo

Shirlee in NC said...

Jo--thank you also for giving those of us who didn't know your background. Some of us would buy your book for sure!!

Pat said...

Jo, what courage you have and had. I would buy your book. I've found that people who have endured tragedies have compassion, wisdom, and great strength. You do.

Isn't there an early Social Security benefit for people who have been disabled? If your hand injury isn't disabled, I'd be surprised.

We took early Social Security, at 62, but then we had our Colorado pensions. We get only 20% of earned Social Security because of those pensions, but no complaints. You might look into it. From my understanding there's an average of $1200 a month, though you'd have to check on that.

I wondered if there wasn't a community group that could use your skills of reasoning, articulation, interpersonal skills.

Thank you, Jo, for your story, and as for Puddle, great admiration and empathy for you.

listener said...

Jo! No kidding?! That is amazing. Well, it may yet work out that your early dream of a dome home could become a reality. I am willing to discuss the prospect with my son, if you like. Domes are fairly easy to build, as they are constructed out of manageable triangles. Very cool.

You are such a wonderful person! I imagine your children are ever grateful for the sacrifices you endured for their sake.

Pat said...

Good Morning,

Hot day predicted. The discussion of a dome house and thoughts of it years ago, so interesting. There are synchronicities, serendipities, and an abrupt turn in the road in our lives, I think.. Sometimes when we embrace them, our lives take on a whole new aspect of optimism, involvement, and rewards. Going to American Samoa was that for us. We gave up our jobs, trusted that everything would work out, and I think it was the most moving and enlightening event of our lives.

Jo, Puddle, listener, Shirlee, Barb, thoughts your way.

listener said...

Vermont Yankee Nuclear Reactor to close at last...
http://digital.vpr.net/post/entergy-close-vermont-yankee

A "Catch Me if You Can" thief has been arrested for specialty silver thefts. Incredible story...
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/27/us/a-finicky-thief-of-the-finest-silver-is-arrested-again.html?hp&_r=0

whitznd said...

Excellent! Good news Listener. I emailed that link to Burt for his blog.

Interesting article on the silver thief.

much love to all!

Shirlee in NC said...

I agree, Pat. A turn came for us when at our eldest daughter's pleading we got in the foreign exchange student program. She--that is Marla the Mistress of the Rock--
went to Japan for a summer to be with the family of a dentist. That following school year we had a Danish student for a year. They were wonderful experiences. That was 1969-70. That year we had six young'uns in the house, I was driving 90 miles each way at least 3 times a week finishing my library degree at U-M. My husband had a factory job and the beginnings of his own business. Not much money.

That was 1969-70. It is now 2013 and we are expecting Kis--our Danish student to arrive in Greensboro next week end. That is a long time connection. Combinations of both families have travelled back and forth over the years. Letters, now e- mail, telephone calls on birthdays and Christmas have kept us close. So we will have a mini family gathering--Cinci daughter and husband are joining us over the week-end. We were with the Youth For Understanding program which did a good job of matching families. Kis was from a farm family where everyone pitched in--fit right in with ours!!!

puddle said...

I've thought for long that humans, being, are truly remarkable, and have astonishing stories if one takes time to listen. Think that's especially true of this crew. Howard still seems like a great soul magnet to me. . . . The group he gathered together is amazing.

Shirlee in NC said...

I love the term 'soul magnet' Puddle. Thank You!
Anyone else here a paper pack rat? I tend to keep the paperwork for everything long after the bills are paid stashed on my desk. A bit of 'what if I need to prove this has been paid' I guess. Looking at my desk as though the visitors would I realized it was a mess. So, I have been looking at them all again--and pitching them into the re-cycle
bag! Whew! Not sure this will make me change my ways:)
Good thoughts for all--especially Jo just now.

Pat said...

Hi Shirlee, I'm your twin, a paper keeper, someone who thinks that paper is essential, connected to knowledge, insight, and security.
Sometimes I think I've made myself a prison of paper. But, a little bit regularly, recycling, giving away, eventually it gets better, I think, I hope. : )

Shirlee in NC said...

Glad to know I am not alone here, Pat! I came home from Michigan with a large box of my deceased sister's diaries, scrapbooks, photos etc. She had no children and left them with my brother to get to me. Poor guy had been guarding them for several years.


Pat said...

A grin here. Shirlee, I have my mother's college diary. She was very social, and as I read it, every day there was some social occasion. There was very little about classes. I have to smile. Her extroversion was a big help to me because I am an introvert. She taught me skills that I probably wouldn't have on my own.

I have boxes and boxes of journals and notebooks, but David, bless him, says that's fine. His repertoire is all digital, thousands of photographs, books on tape, etc.

I guess librarians' practices come with the genes. What pleasure, though, and what experiences we've had through archived journals, letters, books, etc. We are a small percentage of the population, but maybe a crucial one.

I'm with you, Shirlee, I understand the saving of memories, experiences, events, thoughts, a record of our humaneness.

listener said...

Good evening to all. A big hug to Jo.

Tonight my son, currently in Brazil at a Taekwondo event, has successfully completed the Poomsae International Referee Seminar. He is ranked about 12th or 13th in the USA among sparring referees, and is now able to referee forms as well. We are so proud! He is a 5th Don (5th degree black belt).

The memorial service for my friend Barbara was this afternoon. I was very touched that the pastor, who did not know her (this was at her daughter's church), had clearly taken the time to LISTEN to those who knew Barbara and reflect. His words about Barbara were spot on! He even recognised that she had a "pure, uncomplicated" way of loving those around her. So beautifully expressed. I thanked the pastor afterwards and told him I thought he did beautifully. He was sweet and humble and open...rare. And do you know what? Leaning up against Barbara's pretty jade green urn was a small stuffed white kitty, because she leaves behind her beloved white cat (who now lives with her family).

All things considered, a good day.

As for journals! I've kept them over the years and dance with the idea of a bonfire (well, recycling). Mine are spiritual journals, and rather deeply personal. If my kids ever inherited them, they wouldn't believe what's in there. Ha!

listener said...

*typo:

5th Dan

puddle said...

Prolly square in the middle: too much of everything, including books and papers. I do journal. I also burn them, lol! Not wanting my kid to have to worry about what to do with my stuff. I do try from time to time to warn him that something is valuable so it doesn't just get tossed. I prolly never recovered from having to clean up after my mother, who was a pack rat. The story in my family was when we built the new house when I was 19, that he refused to have a basement so she couldn't fill it up. He gave her a double garage instead. My favorite disposal was five jars of mincemeat. Same company, but so far apart in time they actually each had a different label.

Shirlee in NC said...

This IS an interesting group of people! Listener I am interested in your buckets of faith comment. Very wise--and interesting. Then why is it so many churches/pastors etc seem to say or imply otherwise?

More questions/comments coming up folks--under the weather with a sore throat etc, need naps between thinking.
Had to cancel an overdue dental cleaning--Aw Gee Whiz.

Talk to you later.

puddle said...

listener, thanks for the observation about faith levels. . . . I agree. I remember my sister in law the summer before she died was angry and exhausted by the well wishers who seemed to imply that her cancer was the result of an insufficiently sunny attitude. . . . Job's comforters, indeed. Old, old problem.

I've wondered sometimes if the question is how we handle stuff rather than how we change stuff. I've also tried to remember that as long as our lives seem to us, that in the greater scheme of things, we are but a glimmer of light on a pond ripple. . . .

Shirlee in NC said...

After most of the day on the sofa and several doses of elderberry syrup I do believe I will survive. At 5:PM today 2,000 people were expected at a Moral Monday--only this time on Wednesday--A block or so away from Brenda's office. This is the group that has been going to the state Capitol to demonstrate. Now the idea seems to be to make it even more local. Marches were planned for several other cities in the state.

Shirlee in NC said...

Ah, sad but not unexpected news. Cinci kids just lost a sister-in-law to cancer. Again a situation where cancer surgery was some years ago and suddenly is back in another area. Good, good people.

puddle said...

Odd. So many of the feared diseases of my childhood long gone--Scarlet Fever, Rheumatic Fever, Whooping Cough, polio, tuberculosis, only to be replaced by this huge wave of cancer. The government and scientists play so fast and loose with what they allow us to eat. All those children who used to shower in the spray from the DDT trucks on hot summer evenings. . . . sigh

listener said...

"we are but a glimmer of light on a pond ripple. . . ."

To quote Lucy Maud Montgomery:
"You forget that a power infinitely great must also be infinitely little."

Shirlee in NC said...

Thank you for the Ally post, Puddle. What a charming little fighter.

puddle said...

Did not sleep good last night. Funny. It's not so different from the whole of my life--I've always had interrupted sleep. But seems like I just used to get up an do something, and soon or late I'd eventually sleep. Last night, just grumped. Still grumpy. Voting. Syria. Women's rights. Too much. Why do we have so much trouble being wholly human?

Pat said...

Hi friends,

Had about three hours of sleep last night and have been a zombie all day. I'm no good when I don't sleep well and for at least six hours. So, you have my sympathy, Puddle. I don't think I could do it.

It's hot here, humid, stuffy. I'm discouraged by being human. I think you characterized it well. Where is the knowledge we should have gained through all our years of history? Why is it so hard to change, to do what makes sense?

Oh well, just saying hello. Hopefully, I'll sleep tonight.

Shirlee in NC said...

Hmmm. Restless night here, also---what is up? Let's hope for better outcomes tonight!!!!

whitznd said...

Wow, that's a majority of us not sleeping well last night. Once I finally DID fall asleep, I slept well, was just a long time getting there. Plus it shortens the amount of sleep I get before I have to get up for work. Will be glad when I can retire. Hopefully tonight better.

Shirlee in NC said...

SO--how was the sleep last night? Better here in GSO.
Brenda and I are getting ready for our Dane who arrives on Sunday. Excited--

whitznd said...

Thanks Shirlee. Last night much better sleep. Fell asleep quickly. Need the catch up. I hate crashing while I'm at work. if I don't get the proper amount of sleep, I have a really hard time focusing and staying awake in the afternoon. Can't go take a nap like I'd like to.

whitznd said...

Looking forward to the report on the Dane visit!

puddle said...

Much better sleeping last night, thank goodness.

Sure hoping that Brer President makes his way through this Syria Patch. Giving me the same kinda tummy aches I used to get when I was a little watching the war refugees on the news reels. . . .

Shirlee in NC said...

Me too, Puddle--but I remember the other crisis in the area that--unless I mis-remember went much better than all predicted. And--I am grateful he had the courage to put everything on the line and go after Saddam Hussein. Maybe S.H. HAD lost his power, but he was always out there taunting us. THAT was frightening to me. The attacks of 9-11 are burned into my soul--as I suppose they are for most of us. If that makes me unredeemable, so be it.

listener said...

Shirlee, I assume you meant Osama bin Laden.


Bill slept poorly the night before last. Last night was my turn. I managed fine today, nonetheless, until late afternoon, then I grew rather intolerant and wasn't suffering fools gladly. When the old navy Volvo wagon came out of the bagel shop and crossed two lanes of traffic to cut me off, I just dealt with it. But when a minute later that same car pulled ahead of me into a shopping parking lot, and I veered over to head down a different lane, the driver suddenly took a sharp left and cut me off again! That time I really laid on the horn!! Someone could get killed with a lunatic like that behind the wheel. He wasn't on a cell phone, either. He simply never bothered to look, and made fast, sudden moves. Nutso!

Home now, and Bill made dinner while I lay on the couch. MUCH better now!!



puddle said...

I think he *did* tread his way through Libya very skillfully. I *try* not to underestimate him.

Shirlee in NC said...

Thanks Listener!!! I realized when I re-read what I had written that the name didn't seem right. Have had a couple of days with allergy- sinus problems. Brain not functioning.

My advice to folks nearing retirement --do it as soon as you can after the notion hits you. Those years of still being in good--at least pre-aging health are...ah, glorious! I retired at 59--and have never regretted it--even though I was leaving my dream job--but twenty three years was enough.

listener said...

Ah, Shirlee ~ That's they way we always heard retirement would be. It's really a comfort to know that some folks are able to live the dream.

I dare say more and more hard-working Americans are not going to be able to retire and also eat. Bill and I are grateful he got work again after being underemployed for too long. If our jobs hold we might be out of debt in time to retire around age 65. We aren't taking that for granted, though! [As Jo is witness. Thinking of you, Jo!! Let me know when you're ready to let me take you out for lunch.]

listener said...

Shirlee, what helps you when you get a sinus flare-up? My DIL has one right now, so we can't go visit until she's feeling better. We have a family joke about Mom making anyone sick a "50 gallon drum of soup". Ha!

listener said...

* we can't go visit our baby Grandson!!

Shirlee in NC said...

Listener, the best combinations I have found are 1) gargling with warm water with a few drops of hydrogen peroxide added, 2) elderberry syrup--to help the immune system, I try to use Natre's Way brand from the local health food store, but there are other good ones out there, 3) plenty of water,
4)rest, 5) patience. My sinus problems are almost always related to spring and fall allergy seasons. My primary care doc has had me on 4 times a day saline nasal spray and 10 mg of Claritin daily for a couple of years as prevention. Ihave also found that just gargling and alternately sniffing warm water will clear out the drainage if I feel it accumulating. Hope this helps. Doc.S

Shirlee in NC said...

Just saw an AP report that Mr. Obama decided to over ride his military advisors and ask for Congressional approval before doing anything withn Syria. Whew--for now!

puddle said...

Whew is right! Brer President, indeed. . . .

listener said...

Thanks for the great idears, Shirlee! If I thought my DIL would want my thoughts on the subject, I'd share them. ;-) We'll see.

listener said...

VT*Grand is here and it's now her birthday! She has had several exciting days with oddly placed naps and has poison ivy on one foot. So bedtime was just finally accomplished. Suuuuuper tired, as I opened the Library this morning!! Hoping we can all sleep past dawn, then have a golden 6th birthday together! She sure is loved!

Shirlee in NC said...

Listener, would giving her one hint at a time be more accepted? If so, I would suggest the sniffing and gargling with warm water first. Wish I had thought of it sooner.
It is easy to do..and free! It also helps to stop of some the problem sooner.

puddle said...

My eldest grand and only grandson just completed his first week of college. Whew.

Shirlee in NC said...

Congratulations--on his way. Where does he go to college?

Our Dane is arriving in the midst of typical GSO afternoon summer showers. Brenda has just headed out to our small airport to collect her. We expect to have a dandy week.

puddle said...

University of Baltimore. Part of the Maryland system. Just a couple of hours from home.

Looks like we'll be getting a cooling trend starting Tuesday. Enjoy your company!

Shirlee in NC said...

Does your grandson live at home then--or on campus. I think if kids have a good first year in moat parts of their life as a college student it is likely they will push on through to their limit.

We had a wonderful evening with Kis --short for Kirsten.
It has been six years since we have seen her and it seems we all pick up our conversations where we left off. Evening was helped along by Brenda planning dinner which included one of her good homemade soups.

Plan for tomorrow is a driving tour of Greensboro and surrounding area and then we go to Brenda's to hang
out and enjoy her house while we continue catching up.

Hope this was a good day for all here!!!

puddle said...

No. He's living on campus. In the heart of Baltimore. Still, it's reasonably close to home if need be. He still feels like such a tiny peanut to me.

Shirlee in NC said...

Isn't that the way it is with grandkids? Somehow, maybe because I didn't have the primary care of my grands there was more to time when they were small to enjoy them.
Guess we can look at it as gaining special friends as they
grow up.

Shirlee in NC said...

We haven't heard from Jo for several days here. Hope she is OK.

puddle said...

I've seen her a bit on facebook. Hoping with you that she's okay.

Quiet, hot day today.

whitznd said...

Glorious Seattle sunshine for the 3rd day of Bumbershoot. Americas largest music festival. Lots of blues, jazz, rock n roll.

Yesterday was Zombies and Eric Burton and the Animals. We were in heaven.

Lots of hip hop going on as well, but our age generally hung out at the blues/jazz/rock n roll stages.

Lots of interesting ethnic foods. Gone are the elephant ears and funnel cakes :o( - I miss them. Oh well, times change and new things come along. We'll see what today brings.

Someone finally got smart and brought in banks of lockers. Burt and I always have so much stuff to bring that it was a blessing to have the locker instead of having to go all the way out to the car to get our jackets for the evening.

Saturday's MainStage event was a Led Zeppelin cover band started by the son of the origin Zep drummer. Pretty good. They opened for Heart.

Heart was excellent as well. Then the cover band came back on and they played 5 Zep top classics with Ann Wilson singing. Whooooooo HOOOOOOOOO!!! brought down the house. Ranks right up there with our top 5 Bumbershoot events.

Hoping all are having a beautiful sunny day. XOXOXO to all

puddle said...

New thread!