Ours was a pretty good Labor Day Weekend...including VT*Grand's 6th birthday and two visits with our Grandson. We also watched two movies (Fever Pitch and Ladies in Lavender), and almost got caught up on sleep. We couldn't help noticing all the people who were working on Labor Day, and thanked them where we could.
Ah--wise Mr. Lincoln. I had not heard these words. Thank you, Puddle.
Yesterday we took our Dane on a driving tour of Greensboro to give her a sense of the city and show her the highlights. This morning she is on a walking tour of our downtown. Kis is a mighty walker, runner and traveler. We were at Brenda' s last evening and had more of her good cooking. Tonight we will be here partaking of the best pizza in town!
hi ladies, so nice to know you are always here, sharing your days and your wisdom! I am so happy to see an Ally update, my that child is strong, the universe has a plan for her!
my brothers and I are now at the point where we may need to move our Mom to Respite House. her vitals are pretty good but she is not eating and is now refusing ensure and her meds, all she will take is the morohine for her pain. she has lost 17 pounds in 3 weeks, I think she gave up when she got back from hospital. she is lucid some of the time but in a daze much of it too, she likes talking about the past and she now says that she had a good life. had. this is just so sad. my mother worked hard all of her life and now that she can't care for herself she feels useless. I think she's ready for a rest, she is saying goodbye.
Jo, my heart is with you. ♡ Be assured that it is normal and natural for elders to let go slowly like this. It may not mean she is giving up as much as accepting and moving on. From my chaplain work at the medical center, I can tell you that It is not uncommon for folks facing into their mortality to speak of things that we cannot see, but they apparently see or have access to. Say what you need to say to her, then let her know it's okay if she needs to go. It's amazing how some folks will hang on when loved ones haven't been able to let go yet. May her passing be gentle and beautiful. May your heart be comforted. XOXOXXX
Just had a great last evening with Kis. Dinner on an outdoor patio of a nice restaurant in another restored commercial building in downtown GSO. Entertained by the local street saxophonist. Kis flies home tomorrow--GSO to D.C. and then D.C. to Copenhagen. She lives in Copenhagen. It is hard to believe the 18 year old eager, questioning girl is now 62 and planning on retiring next year--still eager and questioning--and traveling! Stay well all!
That's quite a relationship, Shirlee! She sounds like a truly lovely human being.
I think I'm primed to get ma self to town tomorrow. Need to be, fer sure. It's such a feast, you'd think I'd be eager to go rather than reluctant. . . . avocados, roast beef, coconut and olive oil, chicken, butter, cottage cheese, cheese and mundane but necessary stuff like toilet paper and dog food. Puppy's being patient--has had eggs for breakfast and dinner for two days now.
Thoughts for Jo and her family, hoping for them comfort and peace.
A heat wave here. I go outside to water the trees, and I come in soaked with perspiration. Even walking upstairs, my head is is wet with sweat. I guess I'm glad I don't live in Arizona.
Sleep is so crucial to feeling good, to optimism, to feeling able to cope with what the day brings. Last night was cooler, and today, the difference in my frame of mind from yesterday is the difference between Joe Cloud from the Lil Abner comic strip to Snoopy on top of his doghouse.
That grocery list makes me hungry, Puddle! Kis stopped by this morning for an hour before Brenda took her to our airport. It has been a wonderful few days and am delighted she was able to visit. Daughter Dana from Cinci was so dis-appointed that they were unable to pop down while Kis was here that she is now making plans to visit Kis in Copenhagen and Kis is now excited about that!
Oh my, "the door to the future had not started to shut." What a series of words...meaning worlds. The name Linda Pastan seems familiar--was she a DFA 'er?
Still hot here, lots of clouds, no rain. This weather pattern has lasted for at least two weeks.
I really like Linda Pastan. She's one of my favorite poets. Thanks for posting the poem, Puddle.
That must have been a dynamic writing group with all you creative folks.
Just finished reading Robert Fulghum's What on Earth Have I Done? Short, brilliant, funny, insightful essays on everything from the Unitarian Church creating saints, angels, and an archangel from the parishioners, to getting Germans, The French, and Cretans to work together at a seminar for reconciliation. I really enjoyed it.
Also, I'm glad that the whole world is having to engage in a discussion about Syria. Even Pope Francis (Bill Maher calls him Pope Frank) sent a letter to Putin and the G8 Summit and he is holding a vigil against attacking Syria.
Whatever does happen, I think the focus is an important step.
Well, glad you are here and wishing us all well. Special thoughts to Jo.
Pat, we were part of a small poets group at the University of Maryland. Six or seven of us that got together to read our week's work, and discuss things poetic. Including how/where/when to publish. She was the one that told me that her stuff averaged 37 turndowns for each acceptance. Made me realize that becoming a published poet (book) likely had more to do with secretarial skills than poetic ones. I've always loved her stuff.
Yes, 37 rejections for each acceptance, that's stenography and a tenacity I don't have.
I have several manuscripts, tried three contests, and of course, they weren't winners. I wonder when a contest gets 1200 entries at $25.00 per submission. Yet, they say they don't make any money off contests. I am skeptical, plus, the judges each had 100 manuscripts to read. I can't imagine that a lot of time could be spent on each.
So, I am discouraged, and frankly, poetry isn't about contests in my perception. So, we've decided to create a website for David's photography, our friend's music, and my poetry. We'll have samples, and maybe a book that can be downloaded. David created a DVD called Gaia's Garden. Our friend produced the New Age Mongolian music, and there's some of my poetry. David can copy the DVD's here.
I just read in Robert Fulghum's book, "Don't write to make a living; write to make living worthwhile." That fits my values.
So, enough of contests and endless submissions. I've never wanted fame and fortune even if I had the talent, drive, and luck to attain it. I want to write because I have to, because it brings me joy, and if someone would find something in it of value, I'd be grateful.
I suspect, Puddle, that there are poets, artists of all mediums that don't become well known but who bring joy and wonder to those who are able to find them.
Well, I"m folding. Time to lie down. Night friends.
Pat, I am utterly of the same mind and heart about writing. As witness my thrice rejected 500pp manuscript and a children's book half a drawing away from being offered for publication. We shall see.
Meanwhile, I have learned that a Justice of the Peace in town has needed to resign; so the Dems are looking for someone willing to be appointed by the Governor to fill the vacant two-year term which began Feb. 1st.
After re-reading the JP Handbook, I let the Chair of the Dems know that if they are still looking for someone, I would be willing to have my name considered by next Thursday's caucus.
Truth be told, it would be a simple matter to look at how the town voted and call the person on the list of candidates who got the next most number of votes to see if they are still interested. That would not be me.
It would be a service to the community to have a JP and thus notary on the library staff, though, as folks occasionally stop in looking for a notary, especially when the town offices are closed. Also, I understand that not everyone who ran is willing to officiate at a civil union, and since one cannot discriminate, they simply do no weddings. (In Vermont, a JP is not compelled to officiate at weddings and civil unions. There are other mandatory duties.) I would be willing.
One can always publish their own books very inexpensively thru CreateSpace.com. Only cost is $10 for the ISBN and then you can sell one up thru Amazon. Very rewarding to see your book actually in a book form. Don't get discouraged by other peoples sensibilities, publish for your own, and your friends, pleasure. Can't tell you how pleased we were when we got our first book in hand and it was REAL! One can then progress to getting it set up for digital download. And that is FREE through Amazon. I will be happy to answer questions you might have about the process.
Barb, thank you so much for the information. I think that's what we'll do. Green Fuse Press is publishing one of my manuscripts, a local publisher, but I would very much like to put the other three manuscripts as electronic and print on demand books.
Fantastic Pat. You won't be sorry you did. As an aside, books with graphics aren't as easy as plain print books to translate to electronic versions, but look at how much you will be learning!.
You can use your own artwork for the covers, or you can use their templates. For the 15 volumes that Burt produced for the Stuart C Dodd foundation, he used a template so that all covers were the same. really a nice looking book. check out here: http://www.amazon.com/Techniques-World-Polls-Stuart-Dodd/dp/0615688128/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378502773&sr=1-5&keywords=burt+webb
It is really a good feeling to get your book published and fooey with all those publishers!
thank you again. I've copied your message and the website and will go to it. Yes, I'm just not interested in the Po Biz as it's called, lots of footwork, selling of self, going to all the events. It's not something I want to do or maybe have the energy for. So, I'm encouraged by your comments.
We had to go into Estes today, so have been away from the computer. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
How good to know so many poets, writers and book people! Great blog this is. Lively Friday night in GSO. The student from our several colleges and universities are back. Music, parades, conversations all happening on Elm St. Good to have them back, but good thing I am a night owl myself!
Is there any news about Jo's Mom? Wishing all well.
Today I had a great victory. I finally completed making 6 cards and plodding through all my photography of the past year, selecting 116 photos, and all to donate for use by y alma mater, the Shalem Institute for Spiritual Formation. The cards are set out at events and ALL the money they take in is a donation to Shalem. The photos are used for their website, brochures and mailers. I love doing it, but was seriously delayed by my computer's motherboard frying, then needing a new printer to accommodate my new computer. Accomplished at last and it makes me feel like I have finally recovered from my computer woes at last!! Hallelujah!
Third season of the Waltons has an episode on vanity publishing. I always thought it was krezzy: even then you could just go an get a volume *printed* for a great deal less than vanity published. And they not only do nothing for the extra, they made it harder to get into libraries, etc. because of their imprimatur. I thought I might go that route, printing rather than publishing, when/if I wanted some hard copies. In the event, lost the need. To friends, on threads, and my blog has proved to be about the exposure that I want, and I'm happy with it. But E-printing sure seems like a wonderful innovation, and that's the trooth.
Thank you, I'm so moved, Barb and Burt. It was a long time thinking about this. We definitely need help and answers.
Today, I'm going through poems for Storm Mountain: Where We Are Home, poems and photographs here. I'm going to play with the wordings to see if they communicate, then give them to David to link photographs.
I'll email Burt as soon as we have the manuscript ready to go or before. I've put it off because I have great self doubts at times.
I don't know how to say how grateful for your kindness and generosity I am.
D'y'know what's bothering me in the back of my mind as I hear all the latest rhetoric about Syria? It seems to me the talk has turned to what a bad leader President Obama is and it's been days since I heard anyone comment on what a bad leader President Assad is.
I wonder if to some extent people so don't want to face the reality that Assad has done atrocities, they are pointing the finger at the messenger.
I do not agree with the use of violence. I just wish there were a simple way to disarm Assad. All I can come up with is for the world to band together and arrest him for war crimes. Take him out of commission.
Does anyone know who would be next in command who would then take his place?
I sure don't , Listener. I think you are right, Mr. Obama is trying to work his way through what Puddle terms the Briair Patch--and there doesn't seem to be anyone else out there.
Shirlee, I keep coming back to this: We need to bring the most intelligent and creative minds together...Barack Obama, Desmond Tutu, the Dalai Lama, a general or two, and definitely the best diplomats in the world. What might they come up with if they got together to think outside the box?
I have been reading a lot of poetry lately, and some of it, actually most of it, turns me off. I read the North American Poetry Review, Poetry magazine, and various others, all big time prestigious outlets.
I think it's the "Language Poetry" I find so obscure, narcissistic, opaque, and trivial. I ask myself, why am I reading this?
Concomitantly, why would these organs ever publish anything I write? I don't write that way, read that way, appreciate, actually, I find many incomprehensible. Hence, my discouragement. Do I write anything that anyone would want to read? So, that's my thinking that has made me avoid my own poetry for a while.
About Syria: is there anything that people won't criticize about Barack Obama, who I believe will go down in history as one of our greats?
About Syria, I'm of mixed mind, feel much the way you do about violence begetting more violence, but I'm glad it's going before Congress, that the world is paying attention, and that 80% of Americans oppose attacking Syria. It's a real dilemma, and maybe an attack is necessary. I don't know. I do know that the human species should by now have learned how not to go to war, how not to oppress people, how not to use power for destruction of people, institutions, places.
good morning ladies! thank you for the kind thoughts - and the graphics, listener!
I am okay, very sad, this has been a hard few years for Mom. for now VNA hospice nurses will visit her at the nursing home, I think that is the better option than moving her to the Respite House. she doesn't handle moves well and she yells a lot and would disturb the peace of the others spending their last days there.
I hope you all have a lovely day, thank you for being here! xoxoxo
Thank YOU, JO--for rescuing us and making this place possible. The problems with aging seem to get more com- plicated with every birthday we have. Problems for both the aging and their helpers. Brenda and I are picking our way through our own briar patch. I am thankful that so far my mental ability is OK--mostly:) My mother had Alzheimer's and that was dreadful for everyone. She had always been such a bright, inquisitive, compassionate person--it was hard to see all that slip away.
Listener--thank you for the link from CSM. Why did I feel while reading it a parallel with our way out right-wingers? If they had their way we would all be bound to some version of their religious beliefs and we all know how hard they are trying to hold women back. Given the chance I wonder if they would take away our vote?
It seems to me the talk has turned to what a bad leader President Obama is and it's been days since I heard anyone comment on what a bad leader President Assad is.
Most people know they're both horrible. Dems are fleeing the party.
"...they're both horrible. Dems are fleeing the party"
no solid comment on what she thinks of the situation in Syria, just taking the chance to slam Obama. that is not 'conversation' Judy. that is simply childish behaviour. get over yourself already.
Good to hear your voice, Jo. Thoughts of you, your mom, family.
Had son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter for brunch. My mother would have adored this little girl, bright, energetic, funny, intuitive. We went for a walk. I told her I had talked to the bears and said they weren't allowed to come onto the property while she was here. We had a visit the other night with a big pile of bear poop full of chokecherry seeds. They can't get into the pickle barrel composters, but they roll them around.
Anyway, we watched Argo last night, a superb movie, a nail biter, truly we were on the edge of our seats hoping that the Americans could get out before the Iranians caught them. So well done, the cinematography, the script, the pacing, the plot and acting.
Tonight we'll watch Empire Boardwalk and Newsroom.
I'm with the majority of Americans. Stay out! Don't bomb! We are not the world's policemen. It would make things worse. There is still no proof that Assad is behind this; it could be a false flag. Nobody knows what might happen after the bombs start falling, but I'll go on record as saying that it won't be pretty. This is not about humanitarianism. It's about Iran. Kerry sat during the hearing and said that we have to bomb in order to protect Israel. So that too is out there now. People are waking up. I don't need to slam Obama. He's hurting himself with his war talk, instead of trying to negotiate or just staying out of it. PNAC wants this war. AIPAC is now out of the closet and lobbying furiously for war. I would hope that you ladies here are not in favor of bombing simply becuz your guy is in office.
To quote a minister today:
"There is no political answer to Syria, only a spiritual one." I agree.
And yes, if you read the progressive blogs, many dems are angry with Obama and are saying they won't vote party anymore. Many repugs are saying the same thing. Partisanship appears to be dying and this could lead to an inclusion of more voices in any future debates.
And Jo, even tho you still like dissing me, thank you for letting me speak. Anyone who wishes to join a spirited discussion with Oler, Hu Jo, deaniac etc, let me know so I can send you an invitation.
37.7F here presently. Upper 80's predicted for Wednesday. Low of 28F (first frost!) expected Saturday night. It's sure going to be a weird week for wardrobe!
Had a GREAT day at the Zoo (as you will see eventually)! We decided to go to the Franklin Park Zoo instead of the Stone Zoo because FP has more large beasties, such as giraffes, tigers, a lion and gorillas. The baby gorilla was a big hit with our three granddaughters (hereafter referred to as The Grandies). All four (including Grandson) are the Grands. I most enjoyed the giraffes and the tigers.
When asked what three girl cousins together are called, one of the dads replied "A Triage." LOL!
Not a single person on this blog has advocated violence in Syria. But I will reiterate that when I sat down to think of the short list of bright minds in the world whom I would like to see come together to think outside the box on Syria, I was moved to discover that I would include Barack Obama on that list. I sure wouldn't want to be President. No way to please even most of the people half the time!
Hoping this heat wave will break. I read that it's a high pressure dome 15 miles high. But, enough. I can't remember ever Colorado have such a prolonged heat wave.
Some thoughts about Syria and Obama. Good for the Prez for turning this to Congress. We've had the Unitary Presidency for far too long, since Nixon. War belongs to the decision making in Congress who represent all of us.
Also, an ethical move on Obama's part to make this a world wide focus. David was speculating that if Congress turns down the decision to attack and Obama is gracious and compliant, he will set a precedent for the future. A major step in democracy and recognition of the will of the people. If he doesn't, well, we've got the same old problem and controversy.
But, what do we do internationally with a state that kills its own people with chemical weapons and a Russia that supports that?
What do we do with terrorist factions, with weapons that can destroy huge numbers of people, with greed for oil and commerce?
Thanks to Obama, it's now a public debate where it should always have been. Thanks to the ineptness and ideology of the George W. Bush people who have made the people aware of the consequences of a Unitary Presidency.
All in all, a very interesting and innovative approach, and of course, we don't know what the results will be.
And, shudder, no, I don't want to be on a blog of screaming, castigations, ideology. Been there, done that.
"Give up weapons, Russia urges Syria Russia says it has asked Syria to put its chemical weapons under "international control" and have them destroyed to avoid US military strikes. Give up weapons, Russia urges Syria Russia says it has asked Syria to put its chemical weapons under "international control" and have them destroyed to avoid US military strikes."
Update on Amber. She was able to go home on Saturday with a wheel chair and walker. She needs a lot of help but will still make more progress as time goes on. they are hoping eventually she will be out of the chair but it is so nice for her to be with her family. She was almost excited to be able to wake Alysa up and see her off to school this morning. Thank you all again for all your prayers and good wishes.
Russia Welcomes Kerry Demand on Syria Arms The Russian reaction to Mr. Kerry’s suggestion that Syria surrender its chemical munitions appeared to represent a possible point of..
Funny. I've had the feeling that if Brer President had *wanted* to go into Syria, he would have. . . . Instead, he turned it over to Congress, knowing full well. . . . He doesn't, and has never, given a fig as to the opinions of the peanut gallery. Even when he could run again. I think his subtlety level is way over the heads of most of his critics.
Me too, Puddle. I'm smiling. We are so blessed in having him with his intelligence, ethics, ability to strategize, and now the word is that Syria has agreed to hand over control of its chemical weapons to Russia. Wow.
I've been praying, please help this man change how we think and operate. We can't continue to be the number 1 warrior nation.
Very happy for Amber, Puddle. The best way to recover is to be at home as soon as possible. Medicare Home Health Care is a winner for all involved. I still have a nurse from CareSouth phoning me every few weeks to check. Apparently there is also a provision to arrange short term in home monitoring, re-hab, etc. for a Medicare covered condition, ordered by your doc. This is without having been in hospital or re-hab first. This is a great relief to me--it could mean less worry and disruption in Brenda's life.
Give up weapons, Russia urges Syria Russia says it has asked Syria to put its chemical weapons under "international control" and have them destroyed to avoid US military strikes.
This is not a new problem. In 2004, American librarians recoiled at the FBI's demands to rummage through their patrons' reading habits and use them to infer terroristic intent, and at the FBI's gag orders preventing librarians from telling their patrons when the police had come snooping.
Jessamyn West, a radical librarian, conceived of a brilliant solution, a sign on the wall of her library reading "THE FBI HAS NOT BEEN HERE (watch very closely for the removal of this sign)." After all, she reasoned, if the law prohibited her from telling people that the FBI had been in, that wasn't the same as her not not telling people the FBI hadn't been in, right?
WASHINGTON — President Obama on Monday tentatively embraced a Russian diplomatic proposal to avert a United States military strike on Syria by having international monitors take control of the Syrian government’s chemical weapons. The move added new uncertainty to Mr. Obama’s push to win support among allies, the American public and members of Congress for an attack. live Updates on Syria
5:24 PM Ultranationalist Britons Wage Online Battle for Assad 4:19 PM Obama Open to Russian Proposal as Reid Delays Vote 2:10 PM France Sees No Chemical Attacks in Syria Since Aug. 21
More Updates » Multimedia Hillary Rodham Clinton on Syria
Interactive Graphic: Where Lawmakers Stand on Military Action in Syria Multimedia Feature: The Refugees
Related
News Analysis: Kerry’s Comments on Syria Are a Shift Over Strike (September 10, 2013) Poll Finds Most Americans Oppose Military Strike (September 10, 2013) Sharp Test Among Democrats of Loyalty to a Leader (September 10, 2013)
World Twitter Logo. Connect With Us on Twitter
Follow @nytimesworld for international breaking news and headlines.
Twitter List: Reporters and Editors Enlarge This Image Sergei Ilnitsky/European Pressphoto Agency
The foreign ministers of Syria, Walid Muallem, left, and Russia, Sergey V. Lavrov. Readers’ Comments
Share your thoughts.
Post a Comment » Read All Comments (41) »
In a series of television interviews with six cable and broadcast networks, Mr. Obama capped a remarkable day of presidential lobbying for military action and a dizzying series of developments at home and abroad. Sergey V. Lavrov, the Russian foreign minister, said early Monday that Syria could avoid an attack by putting its chemical weapons in the hands of international monitors and agreeing to ultimately eliminate its massivearsenal of poison gas. It was an idea that was quickly praised by top officials in Syria and among some lawmakers in the United States.
“It’s possible,” Mr. Obama said on CNN of the Russian proposal, “if it’s real.”
I'm excited over Russia's idea that Syria could avoid missile strikes by turning over their chemical weapons to international control. And I'm excited over President Obama welcoming this idea and saying that, if it really happened, he would put on hold plans for missile strikes.
Pat! Did Syria really agree?? That would be such a victory for sanity and well-being in the world!! Got link?
puddle...about the wise librarian...did you know that most libraries (ALL in Vermont) now refuse to keep records of what our patrons have read, so that if the FBI ever does come snooping there is no data to give them? It's surprising how many people come to the library expecting that we keep a record so they'll easily be able to know which books they've read. But when we tell them WHY we don't keep records they are always thoughtful and grateful.
Hot tip: We tell folks they are nonetheless free to develop their own code symbol which they can write or colourise after the "date due" stamp, so if they are wondering if they've read a particular book they can simply glance at the Due Date list in that book and know immediately. :-D
I haven't yet found confirmation that Syria has agreed. One source, PJ Tatler (which does not appear very Obama friendly) says Russia has indicated that Syria is willing.
The article goes on to say that this could amount to Russia assuring the world that Syria has turned the weapons over to Russia. While that is fraught with concern, I say "All hail and welcome" to it. After all, if Syria were to then use chemical weapons again, Syria and Russia would both be proven as liars and the world would swiftly band together against them. If Russia gets the weapons out of Syria and this is confirmed at the independent international level, then we have a new world order! It's win-win.
Ah--here I have been to the dentist and back. Now getting anew set of vertical blinds installed in the living room. The others were damaged when a fireman made a dash to open my balcony door during the fire last spring. They help with the heat and cold with floor to ceiling single pane windows!
Still have all my original choppers and in good shape! Some parts of the old body still work!
Haven't checked the Syria news yet. First things first!
I ran across Maryscott years ago, over at the Kerry site. Love that woman: as tough as they come. . . .
Maryscott O'Connor I have to say, I think the man has played everyone brilliantly. And that includes me. I think people like me had to be just as fooled and play their outraged part for it to work... And, credulous, earnest jackass that I am, I bought it.
hah! I love her too puddle. tough and smart as a whip and a heart of gold. for those who may not know her yewt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryscott_O'Connor
Thank You, thank you Puddle for the link to Maryscott O'Connor. Fine, fine analysis. Looking forward to Mr. Obama's speech tonight. Happy Evening to all!!!
Rania Masri's take on Syria. She's brilliant and not a basher, tho she does talk about Prince Bandar's role in this and the rebels having gas as well. This is the kind of reporting and analysis we need here in the CM. I believe she's Lebanese. She talks, among other things, about what just what one bomb is capable of destroying. It's frightening.
Yes, the videos are horrifying, but while being horrified, it's important to remember that Syria is about oil, pipelines, power struggles, Iran and dominance...not about children. Saving children and saving kittens from subway trains make for easy manipulations of emotions.
If children were that important to the gov't under either party, we'd have gun control, drone warfare would end, head start would be up and running, food stamps for kids would be plentiful, healthcare for children would be free or almost free. One out of 5 children in this "exceptional" country goes to bed hungry. This is neither a children-friendly country nor a senior-friendly country. Unfortunately.
That said, I sincerely hope the bombs don't drop and kill even more children ... or adults.
Now gone again, which I think all of you will appreciate.
This from the NY Times. Reports that our access road is closed, also Highway 34 from Loveland to Estes Park. This is the article. Time to build an ark???
1 Dead as Flash Flooding Hits Parts of Colo. By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Published: September 12, 2013 at 5:18 AM ET
BOULDER, Colo. — Days of heavy rains caused flash flooding in Colorado's Boulder County early Thursday that has flooded streets, triggered mudslides, prompted evacuations, and left one person dead. National Twitter Logo. Connect With Us on Twitter
Follow @NYTNational for breaking news and headlines.
Twitter List: Reporters and Editors
The National Weather Service issued a flash flood emergency for the county and northwest Jefferson County, while a mandatory evacuation order was in effect for the tiny community of Jamestown and the Fourmile area.
"The rains have been sitting over that area," Boulder Office of Emergency Management spokeswoman Gabrielle Boerkircher said.
Hundreds of university students living near a creek in the city of Boulder have also been evacuated.
The Weather Service said that county officials reported some homes had collapsed in Jamestown, where dozens of people live, according to a report by The Denver Post.
Boerkircher told The Associated Press that one person was killed when a structure collapsed in Jamestown, but that she didn't have any other details because rescuers haven't reached the scene. She also couldn't confirm that any other buildings had collapsed.
"There are mudslides prohibiting us from getting to that area," she said.
The office said there have been no other reports of any deaths or injuries.
An evacuation center for the mountain residents has been sent up in nearby Nederland, officials said.
Meanwhile, about 400 students at the University of Colorado housing in Boulder were evacuated and classes canceled Thursday because of the flooding, Boekircher said.
"We've asked people in low-lying areas all through the county to evacuate," said Andrew Barth, another Emergency Management spokesman.
In addition to the two counties where there were flood emergencies, the Weather Service posted flash flood warnings for parts of Broomfield, Adams, Weld, Larimer, and El Paso counties.
Mudslides and rockslides were reported in several areas, with parts of U.S. 6, Boulder Canyon, Colorado 14 and U.S. 287 all reporting problems and temporary blockages during the evening, the Denver Post said. Lefthand Canyon was reported blocked by one of the many slides.
The Weather Service said early Thursday that more than four inches of rain had fallen in some areas since noon Wednesday.
Boulder police dispatchers were receiving calls of flooding basements and homes and of flooded streets and submerged cars. Authorities said the flooding has made many Boulder streets impassable.
Emergency Man
agement Director Mike Chard.said people should avoid creeks and waterways, and not attempt to cross flooded intersections in their cars.
"We're also asking people who are OK to shelter in place Thursday, just because the roads are so bad," Barth said.
As the flooding began Wednesday evening, the city of Erie was the hardest hit in the county with up to a foot of water across Erie Parkway, according to a report by KCNC.
As the rains continued, conditions deteriorated early Thursday across the region.
We just received a reverse 911 call, but we don't live in Big Thompson Canyon, so we're okay. However, both highways 34 and 36 are washed out, and 34 is damaged with a crack down the middle. Our forest access road has been cleared of a big boulder, but the rain can cause more rock and mud slides. For those of us trapped, the sheriff's office said, just stay home.
The flooding is occurring throughout the Front Range, west and east. But, we are safe, our community here in Cedar Park and Cedar Springs is alert and our fire department is ready should we need help. According to the call, this is a 500 year flood.
Update: The Front Range is a mess. Our Governor has declared it a disaster. Estes Park cut off, National Guard called in; Lyons cut off, water and sewer compromised; our bridge still holding, but water running over low spots in road; our dam still holding though some water going over it; Big Thompson Canyon Road impassable; various communities flooded, and rain still pouring down.
We are okay here, but it may be several days before things clear up enough and are repaired to be able to get out.
A 500 year flood - what climate change? This is soscary.
Prayers and blessings to all who are in this amazing flood that you're having Pat. I've been thinking about you and hoping that all would be well with you. I'm also hoping that if you need to be evacuated they have a plan to get you out of there. Love you Pat, take great care.
Kimmy Cash Fairbaugh's first grader fell today from the monkey bars during school recess and broke her left arm pretty badly above the elbow. She's in surgery right now. Prayers and Vibes appreciated!
We have a cousin in Longmont who says the river has cut the town in two. Her husband's sister in South Longmont got an evacuation order and they haven't heard from her since. The sister has a 200lb tortoise that they aren't sure how she could have moved on her own, but they couldn't get to her.
Wild! It sounds exactly like what Vermont had this Summer. And here it was just another 100 yr flood.
Untill the year I got caught in two thousand year floods, I'd always thought that once you'd been through ONE, you were safe for the rest of your life. . . .
Thank You, thank you Puddle for reminding me of W.B's very wise words after 9/11. I was interested also in the comments, especially the last one. Yes, we ARE beginning to take some things back and do them locally. I notice it here in GSO than I did in Palacios. More gardens, farmer's markets etc. We can hope that attitude will work its way up. Perhaps it is in the Occupy and Moral Monday movements. Mr. Berry is a wise and compassionate man and a fine, fine writer in many genres. (Old Librarian's Opinion!)
Good thoughts for Pat for safety--and all in danger's way. I am sorry to hear about Kimmy's daughter. I always enjoyed reading Kimmy's comments on DFA blog. It seemed her life and her personality popped right off the screen!
111 comments:
Hurrah for Howard Dean, Joe Hill and the SEIU, and all!
Beautiful, Puddle. Thank you.
Ours was a pretty good Labor Day Weekend...including VT*Grand's 6th birthday and two visits with our Grandson. We also watched two movies (Fever Pitch and Ladies in Lavender), and almost got caught up on sleep. We couldn't help noticing all the people who were working on Labor Day, and thanked them where we could.
Ah--wise Mr. Lincoln. I had not heard these words. Thank you, Puddle.
Yesterday we took our Dane on a driving tour of Greensboro to give her a sense of the city and show her the highlights. This morning she is on a walking tour of our downtown. Kis is a mighty walker, runner and traveler. We were at Brenda' s last evening and had more of her good cooking. Tonight we will be here partaking of the best pizza in town!
Just making this prettier than it was...
XOX Thinking of you, Jo. XOX
hi ladies, so nice to know you are always here, sharing your days and your wisdom! I am so happy to see an Ally update, my that child is strong, the universe has a plan for her!
my brothers and I are now at the point where we may need to move our Mom to Respite House. her vitals are pretty good but she is not eating and is now refusing ensure and her meds, all she will take is the morohine for her pain. she has lost 17 pounds in 3 weeks, I think she gave up when she got back from hospital. she is lucid some of the time but in a daze much of it too, she likes talking about the past and she now says that she had a good life. had. this is just so sad. my mother worked hard all of her life and now that she can't care for herself she feels useless. I think she's ready for a rest, she is saying goodbye.
Good wishes for you, Jo, during this stressful time. HUG!
Stay strong Jo. Know that we all love you.
Thinking of you Jo, and hoping that you and your whole family will be at peace together.
No easy answers, Jo. Heart hanging with you as you negotiate this.
Jo, my heart is with you. ♡ Be assured that it is normal and natural for elders to let go slowly like this. It may not mean she is giving up as much as accepting and moving on. From my chaplain work at the medical center, I can tell you that It is not uncommon for folks facing into their mortality to speak of things that we cannot see, but they apparently see or have access to. Say what you need to say to her, then let her know it's okay if she needs to go. It's amazing how some folks will hang on when loved ones haven't been able to let go yet. May her passing be gentle and beautiful. May your heart be comforted. XOXOXXX
Avoiding with all my heart, might, mind and soul a trip to town. Today's excuse is that I didn't sleep good again last night (bummer).
Not sleeping is the best excuse, EVER!!!! Take Care!
Just had a great last evening with Kis. Dinner on an outdoor patio of a nice restaurant in another restored
commercial building in downtown GSO. Entertained by the local street saxophonist. Kis flies home tomorrow--GSO to
D.C. and then D.C. to Copenhagen. She lives in Copenhagen. It is hard to believe the 18 year old eager, questioning girl is now 62 and planning on retiring next year--still eager and questioning--and traveling!
Stay well all!
That's quite a relationship, Shirlee! She sounds like a truly lovely human being.
I think I'm primed to get ma self to town tomorrow. Need to be, fer sure. It's such a feast, you'd think I'd be eager to go rather than reluctant. . . . avocados, roast beef, coconut and olive oil, chicken, butter, cottage cheese, cheese and mundane but necessary stuff like toilet paper and dog food. Puppy's being patient--has had eggs for breakfast and dinner for two days now.
Good Morning,
Thoughts for Jo and her family, hoping for them comfort and peace.
A heat wave here. I go outside to water the trees, and I come in soaked with perspiration. Even walking upstairs, my head is is wet with sweat. I guess I'm glad I don't live in Arizona.
Sleep is so crucial to feeling good, to optimism, to feeling able to cope with what the day brings. Last night was cooler, and today, the difference in my frame of mind from yesterday is the difference between Joe Cloud from the Lil Abner comic strip to Snoopy on top of his doghouse.
Have a good day, friends.
That grocery list makes me hungry, Puddle! Kis stopped by this morning for an hour before Brenda took her to our airport. It has been a wonderful few days and am delighted she was able to visit. Daughter Dana from Cinci was so dis-appointed that they were unable to pop down while Kis was here that she is now making plans to visit Kis in Copenhagen and Kis is now excited about that!
Re-discovered an old friend this morning, in aid of looking for something for another friend. . . .
INSOMNIA
Linda Pastan
I remember when my body
was a friend,
when sleep like a good dog
came when summoned.
The door to the future
had not started to shut,
and lying on my back
between cold sheets
did not feel
like a rehearsal.
Now what light is left
comes up-- a stain in the east,
and sleep, reluctant
as a busy doctor,
gives me a little
of its time.
"Insomnia" first appeared in the Virginia Quarterly.
Oh my, "the door to the future had not started to shut."
What a series of words...meaning worlds.
The name Linda Pastan seems familiar--was she a DFA 'er?
Thank you, Puddle.
Nope, she's a friend from my writing group in grad school--70's. She turned 80 last year. Fine, fine poet.
Still hot here, lots of clouds, no rain. This weather pattern has lasted for at least two weeks.
I really like Linda Pastan. She's one of my favorite poets. Thanks for posting the poem, Puddle.
That must have been a dynamic writing group with all you creative folks.
Just finished reading Robert Fulghum's What on Earth Have I Done? Short, brilliant, funny, insightful essays on everything from the Unitarian Church creating saints, angels, and an archangel from the parishioners, to getting Germans, The French, and Cretans to work together at a seminar for reconciliation. I really enjoyed it.
Also, I'm glad that the whole world is having to engage in a discussion about Syria. Even Pope Francis (Bill Maher calls him Pope Frank) sent a letter to Putin and the G8 Summit and he is holding a vigil against attacking Syria.
Whatever does happen, I think the focus is an important step.
Well, glad you are here and wishing us all well. Special thoughts to Jo.
Pat, we were part of a small poets group at the University of Maryland. Six or seven of us that got together to read our week's work, and discuss things poetic. Including how/where/when to publish. She was the one that told me that her stuff averaged 37 turndowns for each acceptance. Made me realize that becoming a published poet (book) likely had more to do with secretarial skills than poetic ones. I've always loved her stuff.
Hi Puddle,
Yes, 37 rejections for each acceptance, that's stenography and a tenacity I don't have.
I have several manuscripts, tried three contests, and of course, they weren't winners. I wonder when a contest gets 1200 entries at $25.00 per submission. Yet, they say they don't make any money off contests. I am skeptical, plus, the judges each had 100 manuscripts to read. I can't imagine that a lot of time could be spent on each.
So, I am discouraged, and frankly, poetry isn't about contests in my perception. So, we've decided to create a website for David's photography, our friend's music, and my poetry. We'll have samples, and maybe a book that can be downloaded. David created a DVD called Gaia's Garden. Our friend produced the New Age Mongolian music, and there's some of my poetry. David can copy the DVD's here.
I just read in Robert Fulghum's book, "Don't write to make a living; write to make living worthwhile." That fits my values.
So, enough of contests and endless submissions. I've never wanted fame and fortune even if I had the talent, drive, and luck to attain it. I want to write because I have to, because it brings me joy, and if someone would find something in it of value, I'd be grateful.
I suspect, Puddle, that there are poets, artists of all mediums that don't become well known but who bring joy and wonder to those who are able to find them.
Well, I"m folding. Time to lie down. Night friends.
Pat, I am utterly of the same mind and heart about writing. As witness my thrice rejected 500pp manuscript and a children's book half a drawing away from being offered for publication. We shall see.
Meanwhile, I have learned that a Justice of the Peace in town has needed to resign; so the Dems are looking for someone willing to be appointed by the Governor to fill the vacant two-year term which began Feb. 1st.
After re-reading the JP Handbook, I let the Chair of the Dems know that if they are still looking for someone, I would be willing to have my name considered by next Thursday's caucus.
Truth be told, it would be a simple matter to look at how the town voted and call the person on the list of candidates who got the next most number of votes to see if they are still interested. That would not be me.
It would be a service to the community to have a JP and thus notary on the library staff, though, as folks occasionally stop in looking for a notary, especially when the town offices are closed. Also, I understand that not everyone who ran is willing to officiate at a civil union, and since one cannot discriminate, they simply do no weddings. (In Vermont, a JP is not compelled to officiate at weddings and civil unions. There are other mandatory duties.) I would be willing.
So, we'll see. Please hold this in the Light.
One can always publish their own books very inexpensively thru CreateSpace.com. Only cost is $10 for the ISBN and then you can sell one up thru Amazon. Very rewarding to see your book actually in a book form. Don't get discouraged by other peoples sensibilities, publish for your own, and your friends, pleasure. Can't tell you how pleased we were when we got our first book in hand and it was REAL! One can then progress to getting it set up for digital download. And that is FREE through Amazon. I will be happy to answer questions you might have about the process.
Always worth a try.
Barb, thank you so much for the information. I think that's what we'll do. Green Fuse Press is publishing one of my manuscripts, a local publisher, but I would very much like to put the other three manuscripts as electronic and print on demand books.
I'll get back to you. Again, thank you.
Fantastic Pat. You won't be sorry you did. As an aside, books with graphics aren't as easy as plain print books to translate to electronic versions, but look at how much you will be learning!.
You can use your own artwork for the covers, or you can use their templates. For the 15 volumes that Burt produced for the Stuart C Dodd foundation, he used a template so that all covers were the same. really a nice looking book. check out here: http://www.amazon.com/Techniques-World-Polls-Stuart-Dodd/dp/0615688128/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378502773&sr=1-5&keywords=burt+webb
It is really a good feeling to get your book published and fooey with all those publishers!
Hi Barb,
thank you again. I've copied your message and the website and will go to it. Yes, I'm just not interested in the Po Biz as it's called, lots of footwork, selling of self, going to all the events. It's not something I want to do or maybe have the energy for. So, I'm encouraged by your comments.
We had to go into Estes today, so have been away from the computer. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
Hi friends, hope all is well with you.
How good to know so many poets, writers and book people!
Great blog this is. Lively Friday night in GSO. The student from our several colleges and universities are back. Music, parades, conversations all happening on Elm St. Good to have them back, but good thing I am a night owl myself!
Is there any news about Jo's Mom? Wishing all well.
XOX Jo & her Mom XOX
Today I had a great victory. I finally completed making 6 cards and plodding through all my photography of the past year, selecting 116 photos, and all to donate for use by y alma mater, the Shalem Institute for Spiritual Formation. The cards are set out at events and ALL the money they take in is a donation to Shalem. The photos are used for their website, brochures and mailers. I love doing it, but was seriously delayed by my computer's motherboard frying, then needing a new printer to accommodate my new computer. Accomplished at last and it makes me feel like I have finally recovered from my computer woes at last!! Hallelujah!
puddle...Did you make it there and back again?
yep
Whew!
Pat, Burt's email is phoenix@eskimp.com, He's the one to direct questions to. He is so excited that you are going to go this way.
As a newbie, he had a lot of questions and no one to ask. So he is happy to guide you through this. It is really easy, but not completely intuitive.
Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress.
Much love and hugs and squeezes to all!
Third season of the Waltons has an episode on vanity publishing. I always thought it was krezzy: even then you could just go an get a volume *printed* for a great deal less than vanity published. And they not only do nothing for the extra, they made it harder to get into libraries, etc. because of their imprimatur. I thought I might go that route, printing rather than publishing, when/if I wanted some hard copies. In the event, lost the need. To friends, on threads, and my blog has proved to be about the exposure that I want, and I'm happy with it. But E-printing sure seems like a wonderful innovation, and that's the trooth.
" I finally completed making 6 cards "
Typo! Should have read 60! LOL!
I want a copy when it's ready to be printed, Pat!
XOXOXXX
Thank you, I'm so moved, Barb and Burt. It was a long time thinking about this. We definitely need help and answers.
Today, I'm going through poems for Storm Mountain: Where We Are Home, poems and photographs here. I'm going to play with the wordings to see if they communicate, then give them to David to link photographs.
I'll email Burt as soon as we have the manuscript ready to go or before. I've put it off because I have great self doubts at times.
I don't know how to say how grateful for your kindness and generosity I am.
Your blog is a work of art, Puddle.
Again, what a delight to be among so many creative people.
Off now for dinner.
Does this link work for you? It's perfect with our recent conversation about frustrations with the publishing world!
https://sphotos-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1238904_648789025140091_1213610772_n.jpg
D'y'know what's bothering me in the back of my mind as I hear all the latest rhetoric about Syria? It seems to me the talk has turned to what a bad leader President Obama is and it's been days since I heard anyone comment on what a bad leader President Assad is.
I wonder if to some extent people so don't want to face the reality that Assad has done atrocities, they are pointing the finger at the messenger.
I do not agree with the use of violence. I just wish there were a simple way to disarm Assad. All I can come up with is for the world to band together and arrest him for war crimes. Take him out of commission.
Does anyone know who would be next in command who would then take his place?
I sure don't , Listener. I think you are right, Mr. Obama is trying to work his way through what Puddle terms the Briair Patch--and there doesn't seem to be anyone else out there.
Shirlee, I keep coming back to this:
We need to bring the most intelligent and creative minds together...Barack Obama, Desmond Tutu, the Dalai Lama, a general or two, and definitely the best diplomats in the world. What might they come up with if they got together to think outside the box?
(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´¸¸.•¨¯`•. Jo ♥
Deaniac Liane posted this thought-provoking link, with regard to the struggle Syrians face:
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2013/0901/As-US-weighs-war-fears-of-power-of-jihadis-in-Syria
The Syrians sound too oppressed and afraid to act.
Great cartoon, listener.
I have been reading a lot of poetry lately, and some of it, actually most of it, turns me off. I read the North American Poetry Review, Poetry magazine, and various others, all big time prestigious outlets.
I think it's the "Language Poetry" I find so obscure, narcissistic, opaque, and trivial. I ask myself, why am I reading this?
Concomitantly, why would these organs ever publish anything I write? I don't write that way, read that way, appreciate, actually, I find many incomprehensible. Hence, my discouragement. Do I write anything that anyone would want to read? So, that's my thinking that has made me avoid my own poetry for a while.
About Syria: is there anything that people won't criticize about Barack Obama, who I believe will go down in history as one of our greats?
About Syria, I'm of mixed mind, feel much the way you do about violence begetting more violence, but I'm glad it's going before Congress, that the world is paying attention, and that 80% of Americans oppose attacking Syria. It's a real dilemma, and maybe an attack is necessary. I don't know. I do know that the human species should by now have learned how not to go to war, how not to oppress people, how not to use power for destruction of people, institutions, places.
So, we'll see.
Good night, folks. A gift to be here.
good morning ladies! thank you for the kind thoughts - and the graphics, listener!
I am okay, very sad, this has been a hard few years for Mom. for now VNA hospice nurses will visit her at the nursing home, I think that is the better option than moving her to the Respite House. she doesn't handle moves well and she yells a lot and would disturb the peace of the others spending their last days there.
I hope you all have a lovely day, thank you for being here! xoxoxo
Thank YOU, JO--for rescuing us and making this place possible. The problems with aging seem to get more com- plicated with every birthday we have. Problems for both the aging and their helpers. Brenda and I are picking our way through our own briar patch. I am thankful that so far my mental ability is OK--mostly:) My mother had Alzheimer's and that was dreadful for everyone. She had always been such a bright, inquisitive, compassionate person--it was hard to see all that slip away.
Listener--thank you for the link from CSM. Why did I feel while reading it a parallel with our way out right-wingers?
If they had their way we would all be bound to some version of their religious beliefs and we all know how hard they are trying to hold women back. Given the chance I wonder if they would take away our vote?
It seems to me the talk has turned to what a bad leader President Obama is and it's been days since I heard anyone comment on what a bad leader President Assad is.
Most people know they're both horrible. Dems are fleeing the party.
"...they're both horrible. Dems are fleeing the party"
no solid comment on what she thinks of the situation in Syria, just taking the chance to slam Obama. that is not 'conversation' Judy. that is simply childish behaviour. get over yourself already.
Thank you, Jo.
Trip to town day before yesterday, the White Snakeroot outshown everything else: piles, and drifts, and clouds of it. Glorious!!
Hi,
Good to hear your voice, Jo. Thoughts of you, your mom, family.
Had son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter for brunch. My mother would have adored this little girl, bright, energetic, funny, intuitive. We went for a walk. I told her I had talked to the bears and said they weren't allowed to come onto the property while she was here. We had a visit the other night with a big pile of bear poop full of chokecherry seeds. They can't get into the pickle barrel composters, but they roll them around.
Anyway, we watched Argo last night, a superb movie, a nail biter, truly we were on the edge of our seats hoping that the Americans could get out before the Iranians caught them. So well done, the cinematography, the script, the pacing, the plot and acting.
Tonight we'll watch Empire Boardwalk and Newsroom.
I'll check in later.
Looks like the Republicans are getting tired of the Heritage Foundation, lol!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/with-new-grass-roots-muscle-heritage-foundation-stirs-the-base-and-alienates-allies/2013/09/04/9319a80a-101a-11e3-bdf6-e4fc677d94a1_story.html
What I think of Syria.
I'm with the majority of Americans. Stay out! Don't bomb! We are not the world's policemen. It would make things worse. There is still no proof that Assad is behind this; it could be a false flag. Nobody knows what might happen after the bombs start falling, but I'll go on record as saying that it won't be pretty. This is not about humanitarianism. It's about Iran. Kerry sat during the hearing and said that we have to bomb in order to protect Israel. So that too is out there now. People are waking up. I don't need to slam Obama. He's hurting himself with his war talk, instead of trying to negotiate or just staying out of it. PNAC wants this war. AIPAC is now out of the closet and lobbying furiously for war. I would hope that you ladies here are not in favor of bombing simply becuz your guy is in office.
To quote a minister today:
"There is no political answer to Syria, only a spiritual one." I agree.
And yes, if you read the progressive blogs, many dems are angry with Obama and are saying they won't vote party anymore. Many repugs are saying the same thing. Partisanship appears to be dying and this could lead to an inclusion of more voices in any future debates.
And Jo, even tho you still like dissing me, thank you for letting me speak. Anyone who wishes to join a spirited discussion with Oler, Hu Jo, deaniac etc, let me know so I can send you an invitation.
My best wishes are with you and your mom, Jo.
37.7F here presently. Upper 80's predicted for Wednesday. Low of 28F (first frost!) expected Saturday night. It's sure going to be a weird week for wardrobe!
Had a GREAT day at the Zoo (as you will see eventually)! We decided to go to the Franklin Park Zoo instead of the Stone Zoo because FP has more large beasties, such as giraffes, tigers, a lion and gorillas. The baby gorilla was a big hit with our three granddaughters (hereafter referred to as The Grandies). All four (including Grandson) are the Grands. I most enjoyed the giraffes and the tigers.
When asked what three girl cousins together are called, one of the dads replied "A Triage." LOL!
./\___/\
(=~_~=)
.*•.¸¸.•*
.¸.•**•.¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
.(“)__(“) (¸.•* (¸.•*¨*•Kitty comforts to you, Jo!♥
(I simply deleted a kitty that didn't post perfectly. ;-) )
Not a single person on this blog has advocated violence in Syria. But I will reiterate that when I sat down to think of the short list of bright minds in the world whom I would like to see come together to think outside the box on Syria, I was moved to discover that I would include Barack Obama on that list. I sure wouldn't want to be President. No way to please even most of the people half the time!
Sweet dreams, all.
Good Morning,
Hoping this heat wave will break. I read that it's a high pressure dome 15 miles high. But, enough. I can't remember ever Colorado have such a prolonged heat wave.
Some thoughts about Syria and Obama. Good for the Prez for turning this to Congress. We've had the Unitary Presidency for far too long, since Nixon. War belongs to the decision making in Congress who represent all of us.
Also, an ethical move on Obama's part to make this a world wide focus. David was speculating that if Congress turns down the decision to attack and Obama is gracious and compliant, he will set a precedent for the future. A major step in democracy and recognition of the will of the people. If he doesn't, well, we've got the same old problem and controversy.
But, what do we do internationally with a state that kills its own people with chemical weapons and a Russia that supports that?
What do we do with terrorist factions, with weapons that can destroy huge numbers of people, with greed for oil and commerce?
Thanks to Obama, it's now a public debate where it should always have been. Thanks to the ineptness and ideology of the George W. Bush people who have made the people aware of the consequences of a Unitary Presidency.
All in all, a very interesting and innovative approach, and of course, we don't know what the results will be.
And, shudder, no, I don't want to be on a blog of screaming, castigations, ideology. Been there, done that.
Proofreading corrections: have should be having, and turned to should be directed to Congress.
Early morning fuzziness.
Have a good day, friends.
Interesting development from BBC News.
"Give up weapons, Russia urges Syria
Russia says it has asked Syria to put its chemical weapons under "international control" and have them destroyed to avoid US military strikes.
Give up weapons, Russia urges Syria
Russia says it has asked Syria to put its chemical weapons under "international control" and have them destroyed to avoid US military strikes."
From Amber's mom:
Update on Amber. She was able to go home on Saturday with a wheel chair and walker. She needs a lot of help but will still make more progress as time goes on. they are hoping eventually she will be out of the chair but it is so nice for her to be with her family. She was almost excited to be able to wake Alysa up and see her off to school this morning. Thank you all again for all your prayers and good wishes.
Good news about Amber. That's heartening.
This from the NY Times
Russia Welcomes Kerry Demand on Syria Arms
The Russian reaction to Mr. Kerry’s suggestion that Syria surrender its chemical munitions appeared to represent a possible point of..
Funny. I've had the feeling that if Brer President had *wanted* to go into Syria, he would have. . . . Instead, he turned it over to Congress, knowing full well. . . . He doesn't, and has never, given a fig as to the opinions of the peanut gallery. Even when he could run again. I think his subtlety level is way over the heads of most of his critics.
Me too, Puddle. I'm smiling. We are so blessed in having him with his intelligence, ethics, ability to strategize, and now the word is that Syria has agreed to hand over control of its chemical weapons to Russia. Wow.
I've been praying, please help this man change how we think and operate. We can't continue to be the number 1 warrior nation.
Very happy for Amber, Puddle. The best way to recover is to be at home as soon as possible. Medicare Home Health Care is a winner for all involved. I still have a nurse from CareSouth phoning me every few weeks to check. Apparently there is also a provision to arrange short term in home monitoring, re-hab, etc. for a Medicare covered condition, ordered by your doc. This is without having been in hospital or re-hab first. This is a great relief to me--it could mean less worry and disruption in Brenda's life.
More news from the BBC
Give up weapons, Russia urges Syria
Russia says it has asked Syria to put its chemical weapons under "international control" and have them destroyed to avoid US military strikes.
With you both Puddle and Pat when thinking/watching/listening to our President. We are very,
very lucky to have him.
Such good news about Amber, Puddle. So glad to hear it.
I concur with our bloggies POV on the POTUS.
LOVE this. . . .
This is not a new problem. In 2004, American librarians recoiled at the FBI's demands to rummage through their patrons' reading habits and use them to infer terroristic intent, and at the FBI's gag orders preventing librarians from telling their patrons when the police had come snooping.
Jessamyn West, a radical librarian, conceived of a brilliant solution, a sign on the wall of her library reading "THE FBI HAS NOT BEEN HERE (watch very closely for the removal of this sign)." After all, she reasoned, if the law prohibited her from telling people that the FBI had been in, that wasn't the same as her not not telling people the FBI hadn't been in, right?
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/09/nsa-sabotage-dead-mans-switch
Wonderful link, Puddle--thanks!
The latest from my homepage
WASHINGTON — President Obama on Monday tentatively embraced a Russian diplomatic proposal to avert a United States military strike on Syria by having international monitors take control of the Syrian government’s chemical weapons. The move added new uncertainty to Mr. Obama’s push to win support among allies, the American public and members of Congress for an attack.
live Updates on Syria
5:24 PM Ultranationalist Britons Wage Online Battle for Assad
4:19 PM Obama Open to Russian Proposal as Reid Delays Vote
2:10 PM France Sees No Chemical Attacks in Syria Since Aug. 21
More Updates »
Multimedia
Hillary Rodham Clinton on Syria
Interactive Graphic: Where Lawmakers Stand on Military Action in Syria
Multimedia Feature: The Refugees
Related
News Analysis: Kerry’s Comments on Syria Are a Shift Over Strike (September 10, 2013)
Poll Finds Most Americans Oppose Military Strike (September 10, 2013)
Sharp Test Among Democrats of Loyalty to a Leader (September 10, 2013)
World Twitter Logo.
Connect With Us on Twitter
Follow @nytimesworld for international breaking news and headlines.
Twitter List: Reporters and Editors
Enlarge This Image
Sergei Ilnitsky/European Pressphoto Agency
The foreign ministers of Syria, Walid Muallem, left, and Russia, Sergey V. Lavrov.
Readers’ Comments
Share your thoughts.
Post a Comment »
Read All Comments (41) »
In a series of television interviews with six cable and broadcast networks, Mr. Obama capped a remarkable day of presidential lobbying for military action and a dizzying series of developments at home and abroad. Sergey V. Lavrov, the Russian foreign minister, said early Monday that Syria could avoid an attack by putting its chemical weapons in the hands of international monitors and agreeing to ultimately eliminate its massivearsenal of poison gas. It was an idea that was quickly praised by top officials in Syria and among some lawmakers in the United States.
“It’s possible,” Mr. Obama said on CNN of the Russian proposal, “if it’s real.”
I'm excited over Russia's idea that Syria could avoid missile strikes by turning over their chemical weapons to international control. And I'm excited over President Obama welcoming this idea and saying that, if it really happened, he would put on hold plans for missile strikes.
C'mon Syria! Don't screw this up!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24026619
Pat! Did Syria really agree?? That would be such a victory for sanity and well-being in the world!! Got link?
puddle...about the wise librarian...did you know that most libraries (ALL in Vermont) now refuse to keep records of what our patrons have read, so that if the FBI ever does come snooping there is no data to give them? It's surprising how many people come to the library expecting that we keep a record so they'll easily be able to know which books they've read. But when we tell them WHY we don't keep records they are always thoughtful and grateful.
Hot tip: We tell folks they are nonetheless free to develop their own code symbol which they can write or colourise after the "date due" stamp, so if they are wondering if they've read a particular book they can simply glance at the Due Date list in that book and know immediately. :-D
I haven't yet found confirmation that Syria has agreed. One source, PJ Tatler (which does not appear very Obama friendly) says Russia has indicated that Syria is willing.
http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2013/09/09/did-syria-agree-to-hand-russia-its-chemical-weapons/
The article goes on to say that this could amount to Russia assuring the world that Syria has turned the weapons over to Russia. While that is fraught with concern, I say "All hail and welcome" to it. After all, if Syria were to then use chemical weapons again, Syria and Russia would both be proven as liars and the world would swiftly band together against them. If Russia gets the weapons out of Syria and this is confirmed at the independent international level, then we have a new world order! It's win-win.
Ah, here's a promising link on Syria!
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/sep/09/syria-welcomes-russian-proposal-destroy-chemical-w/#.Ui4I5k-PyNM.facebook
Ah--here I have been to the dentist and back. Now getting anew set of vertical blinds installed in the living room. The others were damaged when a fireman made a dash to open my balcony door during the fire last spring. They help with the heat and cold with floor to ceiling single pane windows!
Still have all my original choppers and in good shape! Some parts of the old body still work!
Haven't checked the Syria news yet. First things first!
I ran across Maryscott years ago, over at the Kerry site. Love that woman: as tough as they come. . . .
Maryscott O'Connor
I have to say, I think the man has played everyone brilliantly. And that includes me. I think people like me had to be just as fooled and play their outraged part for it to work... And, credulous, earnest jackass that I am, I bought it.
Thank god.
Her link:
http://freakoutnation.blogspot.com/2013/09/president-obamas-brilliant-strategy-no.html?m=1
hah! I love her too puddle. tough and smart as a whip and a heart of gold. for those who may not know her yewt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryscott_O'Connor
I love your characterization of Obama as Brer Rabbit, Puddle. I'm smiling right now as I think of it.
Yes, we've got ourselves someone we need who has and is serving us well.
Heat wave has broken, rain, the scents of earth. A relief.
Super essay. Thank you. Worth rereading. Yes, our Brer Rabbit is brilliant.
Thank You, thank you Puddle for the link to Maryscott O'Connor. Fine, fine analysis. Looking forward to Mr. Obama's speech tonight. Happy Evening to all!!!
While watching Mr. Obama last night I thought "Yes, he IS
Like Brer Rabbit and he is carefully working his way through the briar patch
The videos he suggested watching were horrifying.
Talked to Thankful for hours last night. Things *slowly* clearing for her. As always a nourishing time for both of us.
Rania Masri's take on Syria. She's brilliant and not a basher, tho she does talk about Prince Bandar's role in this and the rebels having gas as well. This is the kind of reporting and analysis we need here in the CM. I believe she's Lebanese. She talks, among other things, about what just what one bomb is capable of destroying. It's frightening.
http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=10703
Yes, the videos are horrifying, but while being horrified, it's important to remember that Syria is about oil, pipelines, power struggles, Iran and dominance...not about children. Saving children and saving kittens from subway trains make for easy manipulations of emotions.
If children were that important to the gov't under either party, we'd have gun control, drone warfare would end, head start would be up and running, food stamps for kids would be plentiful, healthcare for children would be free or almost free. One out of 5 children in this "exceptional" country goes to bed hungry. This is neither a children-friendly country nor a senior-friendly country. Unfortunately.
That said, I sincerely hope the bombs don't drop and kill even more children ... or adults.
Now gone again, which I think all of you will appreciate.
Thank you again, Jo, for letting me opine a bit.
Another hot one. Tomorrow scheduled the same. But cooling on Friday. So tired of hot air.
Kid's coming this weekend, so great working weather.
Good Morning,
This from the NY Times. Reports that our access road is closed, also Highway 34 from Loveland to Estes Park. This is the article. Time to build an ark???
1 Dead as Flash Flooding Hits Parts of Colo.
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: September 12, 2013 at 5:18 AM ET
BOULDER, Colo. — Days of heavy rains caused flash flooding in Colorado's Boulder County early Thursday that has flooded streets, triggered mudslides, prompted evacuations, and left one person dead.
National Twitter Logo.
Connect With Us on Twitter
Follow @NYTNational for breaking news and headlines.
Twitter List: Reporters and Editors
The National Weather Service issued a flash flood emergency for the county and northwest Jefferson County, while a mandatory evacuation order was in effect for the tiny community of Jamestown and the Fourmile area.
"The rains have been sitting over that area," Boulder Office of Emergency Management spokeswoman Gabrielle Boerkircher said.
Hundreds of university students living near a creek in the city of Boulder have also been evacuated.
The Weather Service said that county officials reported some homes had collapsed in Jamestown, where dozens of people live, according to a report by The Denver Post.
Boerkircher told The Associated Press that one person was killed when a structure collapsed in Jamestown, but that she didn't have any other details because rescuers haven't reached the scene. She also couldn't confirm that any other buildings had collapsed.
"There are mudslides prohibiting us from getting to that area," she said.
The office said there have been no other reports of any deaths or injuries.
An evacuation center for the mountain residents has been sent up in nearby Nederland, officials said.
Meanwhile, about 400 students at the University of Colorado housing in Boulder were evacuated and classes canceled Thursday because of the flooding, Boekircher said.
"We've asked people in low-lying areas all through the county to evacuate," said Andrew Barth, another Emergency Management spokesman.
In addition to the two counties where there were flood emergencies, the Weather Service posted flash flood warnings for parts of Broomfield, Adams, Weld, Larimer, and El Paso counties.
Mudslides and rockslides were reported in several areas, with parts of U.S. 6, Boulder Canyon, Colorado 14 and U.S. 287 all reporting problems and temporary blockages during the evening, the Denver Post said. Lefthand Canyon was reported blocked by one of the many slides.
The Weather Service said early Thursday that more than four inches of rain had fallen in some areas since noon Wednesday.
Boulder police dispatchers were receiving calls of flooding basements and homes and of flooded streets and submerged cars. Authorities said the flooding has made many Boulder streets impassable.
Emergency Man
agement Director Mike Chard.said people should avoid creeks and waterways, and not attempt to cross flooded intersections in their cars.
"We're also asking people who are OK to shelter in place Thursday, just because the roads are so bad," Barth said.
As the flooding began Wednesday evening, the city of Erie was the hardest hit in the county with up to a foot of water across Erie Parkway, according to a report by KCNC.
As the rains continued, conditions deteriorated early Thursday across the region.
Good grief, Pat--this sounds dangerous. You are "sheltering in place" as the article instructs? You do have plenty of non-perishable food on hand?
Just checking. :) Take Care!
Hi Shirlee,
We just received a reverse 911 call, but we don't live in Big Thompson Canyon, so we're okay. However, both highways 34 and 36 are washed out, and 34 is damaged with a crack down the middle. Our forest access road has been cleared of a big boulder, but the rain can cause more rock and mud slides. For those of us trapped, the sheriff's office said, just stay home.
The flooding is occurring throughout the Front Range, west and east. But, we are safe, our community here in Cedar Park and Cedar Springs is alert and our fire department is ready should we need help. According to the call, this is a 500 year flood.
I'll keep you apprised.
Take care, Pat. You are in our thoughts.
Pat, take care!
Update: The Front Range is a mess. Our Governor has declared it a disaster. Estes Park cut off, National Guard called in; Lyons cut off, water and sewer compromised; our bridge still holding, but water running over low spots in road; our dam still holding though some water going over it; Big Thompson Canyon Road impassable; various communities flooded, and rain still pouring down.
We are okay here, but it may be several days before things clear up enough and are repaired to be able to get out.
A 500 year flood - what climate change? This is soscary.
Prayers and blessings to all who are in this amazing flood that you're having Pat. I've been thinking about you and hoping that all would be well with you. I'm also hoping that if you need to be evacuated they have a plan to get you out of there. Love you Pat, take great care.
For Shirlee:
http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/214
I read it anyway - it's wonderful puddle, thank you! xo
Tomorrow's high is only 66ยบ--hope they're right! Had a bellyfull of this heat!!
Thank you, Jo, Puddle, Shirlee, friends.
More rain, our driveway several rivulets, but directed towards the meadow. We're safe and hoping others will be too.
Will keep you informed.
Pat
Kimmy Cash Fairbaugh's first grader fell today from the monkey bars during school recess and broke her left arm pretty badly above the elbow. She's in surgery right now. Prayers and Vibes appreciated!
{{{ Pat! }}}
We have a cousin in Longmont who says the river has cut the town in two. Her husband's sister in South Longmont got an evacuation order and they haven't heard from her since. The sister has a 200lb tortoise that they aren't sure how she could have moved on her own, but they couldn't get to her.
Wild! It sounds exactly like what Vermont had this Summer. And here it was just another 100 yr flood.
SO glad you're safe! XOXOXXX
Untill the year I got caught in two thousand year floods, I'd always thought that once you'd been through ONE, you were safe for the rest of your life. . . .
Thank You, thank you Puddle for reminding me of W.B's very wise words after 9/11. I was interested also in the comments, especially the last one. Yes, we ARE beginning to take some things back and do them locally. I notice it here in GSO than I did in Palacios. More gardens, farmer's markets etc. We can hope that attitude will work its way up.
Perhaps it is in the Occupy and Moral Monday movements. Mr. Berry is a wise and compassionate man and a fine, fine writer in many genres. (Old Librarian's
Opinion!)
Good thoughts for Pat for safety--and all in danger's way.
I am sorry to hear about Kimmy's daughter. I always enjoyed reading Kimmy's comments on DFA blog. It seemed her life and her personality popped right off the screen!
Love you all, stay safe and well.
Here's a good link to news about the Colorado flooding:
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2520
thanks for the heads-up about Mina, poor little thing! pls let Kimmy and Craig know that I am sending love and light, they must be freaking out.
or is that Delilah?
Delilah.
Done, Jo! Helluva break.
Cousin Kath in Longmont, CO sent along this video of the town's flooding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HShXhJMQdA
It looks just like Vermont did a few months ago!
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/VideoNetwork/921847598001/Northern-Vermont-suffers-heavy-flooding
New thread!
Post a Comment