Thursday, March 12, 2015


68 comments:

listener said...

The unclothed Emperor is an Elephant who makes the President look all the more wise and Dean all the more wonderful!

listener said...

Now to respond to the latter part of the last thread:


Wow, puddle, keep us updated on the culverts!

Wouldyoubelieve we had the first spider here last week and the first fly yesterday!? I couldn't believe it myself!!

whitznd said...

Excellent! Howard was on Lawrence O'Donnell again tonight. Still looking mighty fine. AND sticking up for Hillary. Lawrence seems to have it in for her. Although he may just be trying to show how good of a lawyer he is. Just makes him look strident and irrelevant in my eyes.

hmmmm going to have to go back to the old thread to see whats with the culverts...

listener said...

As for liking to be surprised by something in a show I've seen several times, I mean "surprise" in a very positive sense, not startled. You are quite observant! I do know the painting you speak of in Lionel's apartment.. We had one like it in a house we once rented furnished, for a year. Powerful!

I love the references you noted. Have you noticed the episode in which Jean and Lionel are in the kitchen, he is looking for sausages in the refrigerator and happens to leave it open as he walks away. But two moments later, though no one has moved, it is closed. Ha!

I also notice how the tiles in the kitchen change, and the location of the telephone. :-) I'm pretty sure they use more than one townhouse set for filming. Toward the end of the series you may notice that the headboard of the master bed changes for a time. I read online that it was because the original got broken (during a scene, I think) and was out for repairs! :-D

whitznd said...

Ok, culverts seem to be running.

Thanks for the info on Quicken. I'll go check it out. I have looked at about a half dzn links so far and none of them do any good. If this one works, I'll let you know!

Great cartoon. too true.

listener said...

"Did you notice that the Della Francesca angel was a different picture in the Kemal Pamuke scene and the later ones with the art expert who hits on Cora?"

I had not. Guess it's been too long for me between the episodes with Mr. Pamuke and the later episodes with the man smitten with Cora. :-)

I'll be watching much more closely next time!

listener said...

Pat, the paintings shown partially in my most recent link are not my own but my mother's. I wish I had half her talent, and she had so little opportunity to use hers.

listener said...

The two deleted messages on the end of the last thread were mine…inadvertently posted there thinking I was posting here. So I moved them here.

listener said...

Barb, any luck yet with the Quicken files?

puddle said...

I had noticed the tiles in the kitchen, lol! And that bed actually changes *several* times. . . .

The fan board is trying--the poor fans in Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec trying to talk about the episodes without leaving spoilers for the Americans and others who've not yet seen them. . . . There's even a spoiler thread for just spoilers.

puddle said...

My first fly is usually about three days behind my first spider, grin.

listener said...

This is rather fun and surprising. Enjoy!

if yuo can raed tihs, you hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.
Can you raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!


(Note: the word "rscheearch" is incorrect. It should be more like: "rseearechr".)

puddle said...

Well, you could just remove the "a" before it, and it'd work, lol!

Our brains are amazing. I always wonder why the Republicans refuse to use them?

puddle said...

Culverts running at about 60/70%. Sunny, and rain this afternoon. Still plenty of snow to melt. But not enough for a flood.

whitznd said...

No, Listener. No luck with quicken. the link you gave is, indeed, one that I've used. I'm going to give them a call next. This is most frustrating.

XOXO to you all. Busy day today, Techie coming in to load software on our computers so that we can view one of our facilities remotely.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Thanks for that last sentence, Puddle! Some among us
--me--would turn into worriers if just left with the 60-70
percent statement! Maybe, maybe we are through
the worst of our winters!

Have I mentioned how much I love the Bed Wedge which
lets me put the head of my bed at any angle? I am sleeping longer and feel more rested. Whew! Another
problem of aging solved!

It was warm enough yesterday to venture out for a walk-- one errand, and a stop at the bookstore. Found
a nice used copy of Carlos Fuentes "The Old Gringo."

Rain expected this afternoon ..and Brenda bringing in
Friday evening dinner! Love to all!




puddle said...

Eye/ear of the beholder, lol! Even with the deck is a distress signal for Nancy, good news for me. Sheeting over the bridge means, to me: walkable; to Nancy, undrivable. 60/70% would be good news for both of us, grin. Luckily, my son is more in my camp than Nancy's.

I want, in my life struggling, to learn those lessons that are there to be learned, but not *more*. . . . A cat jumping on a hot stove will learn not only not to sit on a hot stove, but not on a cold one, either. Even if not doing so will deny access to the only window. Our emergency techs here were spoiled by the flood of '85. Which was awful, without doubt. Catch is, it was 20" of rain in 12 hours. Now they flinch at a projected 2". . . .

puddle said...

OT--

Fred Kaplan’s assessment from earlier this week: “It is a useful thing when a political party reveals itself as utterly unsuited for national leadership.”

Don't think we could have paid enough money to do to the Republicans what they just outright volunteered to do to themselves, lol!

Shirlee Murphy said...

Just reading the headlines from newspapers around the
U.S. Yep, the Rule the World My Way Party just pulled their own plug. Down the drains with the flood waters!

Stupid is as Stupid Does-- or whatever the old saying is!

listener said...

Any Mac users here? I have an Entourage question:
Somehow in the blink of an eye today I managed to drop my compose window from where it was docked into my mail Inbox. I see no up/down arrow that I might shift to reveal it again. Also, for some reason I now have to double click on everything to open it, and just resting my cursor on a message no longer opens it. Ideas?

puddle said...

Don't have a Mac I use, but this looked like a good site. It's huge, but maybe with search terms?

http://www.christianboyce.com/blog/OLD_boyceblog_files/category-tips.html

Pat said...

Good Morning. This rotten cold seems to be diminishing. What a difference feeling good makes!

A poem to share. My gratitude to Colorado Life Magazine for publishing it.

Reminder

A startle of blue
on my pine woods
walk, a squawk
from the unmelodious
Stellar Jay reminding
me I'm an intruder
as I search for
Pasque flowers
to photograph,
harbingers of
returning moisture
and light in this
uncertain spring,
yesterday summer,
today brings snow.

Over there pushing
through twigs,
needles and duff,
lavender petals
like birds' beaks
reaching up.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Lovely poem, Pat. Thank you. No Mac user here, Listener. Two daughters talked me into an Apple I-pad,
best choice in the computer world I have ever made!

Rainy,a bit chilly here today--this might be a perfect
Netflix day! Take care all.

whitznd said...

Alas, not a Mac user. Finally got my Quicken/QuickBooks issue taken care of. I called support and they logged into my computer, took the offending files and will return them to me in the proper format in 24 - 48 hours. YAY!!!!!

Lovely poem, Pat.

Shirley, glad you like your iPad.

A lovely day to all.

puddle said...

Culverts running full all day, pretty much. Snow on the far side pretty much gone. More on this side, of course, but certainly not enough to cause flooding.

Bright warm spring day. Burst of song at dusk from the North Carolina Wren. Found myself listening for the peepers. No peepers yet.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

puddle that sounds downright heavenly! yay for you!

Barb so happy that is resolved - thank you for all you do!

looking at colder here and a few new inches of snow tonight. not bad though, the below zero temps have left us!

Pat said...

Good Morning. Sunny, temperature at 70 degrees. I have the screen door open to bring in the fresh air.

I've noticed that Facebook has taken on some of the characteristics of a blog. Interesting. People will communicate. As with friends selected, there seems to be shared values and perspectives. Very affirming.

Enjoy today.

puddle said...

About 50º sunny and windy. Snow piles (plowing aftermath) shrinking. With Pat on the screen door, lol!

puddle said...

Lol! First fly today! Mother stays consistent in her rounds.

puddle said...

Just here to say that chocolate making is soooooooooooooooo easy. Whack 2 oz off the the raw cocoa butter slab. Put in small sauce pan, put pan in oven, at about 300º till melted. Measure 1/2 cup raw cocoa powder, and a cup of splenda. Add glug of coconut oil (1/4 cup?), and dry ingredients. Stir. Add tsp vanilla. Pour into pie pan, put pie pan in freezer. Done

This is not calories free, but it IS virtually carb free. I usually split it 50/50 eating and choc chunks for cookies. The raw cocoa has TONS more nutrients than the refined stuff.

Still almost impossible for me to believe that these cookies are so GOOD for you!!

listener said...

Boston has busted the old snowiest Winter record!

108.6" so far!!


And I am headed to NH today for two meetings. Didn't sleep well last night, so it promises to be a loooonnnngggg day. Please send Traveling Mercies vibes! ♥

Pat said...

Good Morning,

Yes, traveling mercies your way, Listener.

Another beautiful day, hangin' onto that screen door, Puddle. A grin here.

puddle said...

Gorgeous here--nearly 70º!! Sunny, warm breezy, very blue skies. Bet there's peepers tonight!! Puppy's been out all day, lol! No great longing to come back in; no great need.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Lovely here in GSO also. Went out for a walk down the street to make sure everyone is behaving themselves!
Two more lovely days predicted then colder and rain!

listener said...

I drove to and from NH today for meetings. I presented at a meeting of my peer group of spiritual guides, then met one to one with my spiritual guide for the first time since October! (It's been that kind of Winter, especially in NH.) So it was a very worthwhile day from start to finish. Another member of the peer group rode down and back with me. She is a college professor and one of the things we talked about was writing. When she heard I have an unpublished book, which is primarily unpublished because it has a lot of quotes which would need permissions, she told me that most quotes only need footnotes. I'm not so sure, but she has offered to look at what I've got and assess how much I might need to amend if at all. I think I'll take her up on that!

listener said...

Thank-you, Pat! Worked GREAT!! ♥ I am quite tired now, but given that I slept very little last night, the fact that I made it down and back with only a 9 minute power nap before the drive back is almost miraculous! You vibe well!! :-)

puddle said...

No peepers. . . .

whitznd said...

Happy day to all! Looks like good things are happening even as some await more "weather".

I wrote the Chair and 1st Vice Chair last night and told them the shambles of everything I was given and that it was going to be a while before everything was in good working order. Told them of the more urgent need to have 2014 - 15 records and not so much 2008 - 2013. Plus requested to purchase a copy of QuickBooks to be the property of KCDCC and travel from treasurer to treasurer rather than have folks use their own that someone else might not be using.

Good news is that QuickBooks logged onto my computer and took the two offending files and will have them converted to the proper format either later today or tomorrow at no cost. YAY!

Take care all and I hope that good weather holds for a little bit for you.

XOXOXOXO

Shirlee Murphy said...

Another lovely day here in GSO--but a No Burn alert is out
because humidity is low.

Glad you have been able to straighten out the records, Barb!

Happy St. Patrick''s Day to all from your official on-line
Irishwoman!!! Love you all.

Puddle, is it too cold or wet for your peepers? Or are they just being coy:)?

puddle said...

I don't think it's cold or damp that keeps them quiet--the tradition (lol!) is that they start peeping, and within a week, we have a last snow, and they peep right through it. Always think about the poor lil wet and nekkid guys out there, calling for sex . . . .

Have a bit of Irish in my family tree, and my half birthday's tomorrow, so St. Patrick's day was always my special personal holiday, grin.

whitznd said...

Happy St Paddy's to you Puddle and Shirlee!

And all of you! XOXO

listener said...

I've had th' luck o' th' Irish today, truly. First rain of th' season this morning! I was running about 10 minutes late to Tai Chi class, but walked in just in time for th' preliminaries to end and class to begin. After class I bought groceries and just as I came up our driveway th' rain began to change over to snow. Snug at home now for th' rest of th' day, with some good Irish food and a special dessert t' make. ♧

listener said...

♧ As for me, I'm 1/2 Irish, as my Mom was 100% Irish. Her 87th birthday would have been yesterday and she always celebrated for two days! :-) ♧

puddle said...

Late life revelations--I always thought I was half Norwegian, since my grandfather was 100%, and my grandmother was from Norway. But turns out from continuing research that she was likely Laplander (Sami). Which would be confirmed by my sister's DNA map, which has us at only 10% Norwegian. . . .

I DO know the Brit line includes a grandfather who was part of the Royal Guard (those bearskin hat fellas). Handwritten diaries.

Feel a certain sympathy with Elizabeth Warren's claim of an Indian grandmother somewhere. Grew up with the same claim, and it felt real to me. Was a true joy when one of my nephews finally fully identified her, and gave her a name! Maybe when Warren runs for President she can hire a genealogical researcher to do the same for her. . .

Change of subject--I wonder if the right hasn't finally immunized Hillary? LOOK AT WHAT BILLARY HAS DONE *NOW*!!!! To the point where they're just the little boy who cried wolf once too often. There may be not one thing they can bring against her. [No, not fond of the idea of another Clinton--but when I look at what the R's are running, I'll swallow.]

Shirlee Murphy said...

Well, if I am not the official Irish woman blogger, I'll
bet'cha I AM the oldest here! Happy day, dug out
Irish music CDs and listened to my favorites, went
across the street for a hair trim-- it is getting thin and
fly away. Walk on down to the bookstore to check out
the action!

Hope your peepers come soon, Puddle. Then we know
Spring is surely here! Sleep well, all!

puddle said...

Oh, I'd say you were the official Irish blogger, Shirlee--How could ya miss with a name like Murphy?

listener said...

♧ Mrs. Murphy ♧

listener said...

Vermonter may run Hilary Clinton's campaign

http://www.wcax.com/story/28545329/vermonter-may-run-hillary-clinton-campaign

Note that Zephyr Teachout gets a mention!

listener said...

It's too mean!

There's a storm level Aurora tonight and it's SNOWING here!
At one point it was technically possible to see it as far south as the White House!
http://www.softservenews.com/Aurora.htm

puddle said...

No peepers. Much much cooler today!! But bright. Not going to be tropical again for at least 10 days. But no buzzards in there either. Spring!!

whitznd said...

Sound like a great pick for Hillary! I hope that Zephyre runs again!

take care all.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Thanks, Puddle--I will restore my crown! Listener, the
Vermonters must be doing something right for Hillary--
the RW replies after the article are nasty!

One more warm day here and back to non-walking weather! Good thing this old building has long hallways--
Bad weather I can get my walking in right here!

Love to all!

puddle said...

Bright, warmish (50º) day here. No peepers, heck!

But Nancy made the trip to Harrisonburg today, and I have much wonderful brie and many avocados! Life is good, eh?

listener said...

Fresh avocados! Mmmm!

Today I had a lovely lunch with a dear friend 20 years my senior. She is from Argentina and has made such a good life here in the States, with five sons and five grands. I love her dearly.

On the way to my haircut, my car started to make a flapping sound on the passenger side of the engine. It came and went, and I could find nothing obviously amiss in the engine, so in the end I left it at the Mini dealer to be serviced, and Bill drove me home, and then he cooked dinner!

puddle said...

Saw this and thought about you, listener!

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/baby/news/20150317/breast-fed-babies-may-be-smarter-richer-adults-study-suggests

listener said...

My Mini is in the shop to have a few minor issues looked at, and I just got a call telling me they need to replace the whole transmission. So, no Mini for a week. :-( Good thing it's all under warranty. (It only has 20,000 miles on it.) I am glad the small issues surfaced (tire pressure light; a flapping sound upon startup), as the issue with the axle that derailed me awhile back was resurfacing and could have been extremely dangerous very soon, especially on the interstate. We were planning to drive it to Boston and back this weekend!

listener said...

Thanks for the link, puddle! While I agree that the information needn't place shoulds or guilt on parents, the reality is that it's true. The reason breastfed babies have higher IQs is likely linked to the development of the mouth (breastfeeding is a more complex motion than sucking on a bottle), development of the eyes (a newborn baby who is breastfeeding is the perfect distance from the mother's face to see her clearly), the switching from side to side develops a baby's eyes and brain sides evenly (as opposed to a bottle fed baby whose parent favors their own handedness in holding the baby for a bottle), and the interaction with the mother gives the baby more relating to a human being than a propped up bottle can offer. And those are just the mechanics. A mother who always holds her bottle-fed baby during feedings, and changes the side the baby is held on, and uses a specially designed bottle nipple can regain many of these benefits. THEN we begin to talk about how breastmilk adapts to the needs of the baby (thicker or thinner milk, adding needed antibodies so the baby doesn't get as sick), contains perfect nutrition and more, well, small wonder! And I can even attest that as I look upon my Grands, I see the IQ differences based on nurturance of all sorts.

listener said...

15 hours until Spring!

puddle said...

2"-4" snow between 3 a.m. and 2 p.m. First time the last spring snow arrived *before* the peepers, lol!

listener said...

I guess the peepers are on strike until better weather!

Pat said...

Good Morning,

Nice day here today after gloomy cold and clouds and some snow yesterday.

Now with our communications technology we get news of the world daily. Maybe it's time for some planetary regulations, instead of nations states'. How hard is it for humans to get along? You'd think we could have learned by now.

I'm glad Netanyahu's words are coming back to him. In some respects it gives us more leeway with respect to diplomacy. We cast the only veto in support of Israel in the last UN event. We may not have to do that again. It had to do with a Palestinian State, and Israel didn't want it then. We'll see.

In the April Harpers an interesting article on Arctic melting by Gretel Ehrlich, "Rotten Ice" more melting than ever before in recorded history. She wonders if in our carelessness we aren't heading towards extinction of the human race. Harpers is a good magazine, lots of substantive articles and good writers.

Well, have a good day, friends.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Thanks, Pat. Your. Reviews and comments on information out there are always interesting and helpful, thank you.

A bit of a gray day here, but Brenda brought in dinner!

Love to all.

puddle said...

Just under an inch of snow, rained away before noon. Cool and gloomy.

Pat said...

Hi Friends,

Thank you for the compliment, Shirlee.

A nice day today. It does make a difference, the fresh air, the sun, the warmer temperatures.

We've had two power outages in the last couple of days. I remember living in Nederland in the 70s, and power outages while not frequent, occurred several times in the winter months. Now, they are infrequent, but what a difference they make. We are so used to light, heat, phone, media, refrigerator, stove, etc. It feels like a kind of stagnant world where we can't do anything. How used to ongoing electricity we have become.

And tonight, Bill Maher in his comedy and satire. Actually given the volatility of politics and the world, satire just can't live up to the extremes we hear about every day.

Take care. Hope the peepers arrive soon, Puddle.

And, Listener, your photos on Facebook are appreciated. Also, hope your book can be published.

listener said...

Proud Mom Alert!
Wildlife*Biologist*Son (Shiloh) is quoted on page 19. :-)

National Fish and Wildlife Foundation 2014 Annual Report
http://www.nfwf.org/whoweare/mediacenter/Documents/2014-nfwf-annual-report.pdf

listener said...

Pat, thanks for the encouragement.

IF the book is such that it COULD be published, there's still the real issue of getting it published. As it is a book with a very small readership base, I think that would be an uphill battle.

That is, of course, IF the friend who can tell me what's what actually follows through. She has a good heart, but her feet don't always follow. We'll see.

puddle said...

Been a very sleepy week for me. Don't know why. Keep falling asleep at the computer.

First full day of spring was lovely!!

puddle said...

New thread!