Oh, my--how comfortable he looks! Maybe we need to take lessons.
Wondering why my bed felt more than comfortable this morning, I was wide awake, but it was still too dark outside. Finally my med timer rang and it was 10:00 AM and darkish because another rainy, slushy, snowy storm was moving in!!! Stay warm and safe all. Healthy also!
This nasty cold has returned. Unbelievable! The doc prescribed a refill for the antibiotics, so we had it refilled, but it is the worst cold I think I've ever had: cough, sinus, sore throat, headache. Ah, there must be some reason we humans get colds, but what that is I can't imagine. So, hunkering down for a while.
Watched Netanyahu's speech. Talk about Jingoism! He never mentioned that Eisenhower and Churchill agreed to overthrow the Prime Minister of Iran in 1953 when he nationalized the British-Iran oil company because the Brits wouldn't let him audit the books or change the conditions for exploiting their oil reserves. Netanyahu presented Iran as the enemy and asked for more sanctions, more rules, and getting rid of all nuclear reactors even for domestic energy purposes. We know how well punishment, exclusion, and threats work, don't we. The Treaty of Versailles, the Cuba sanctions for 50 years. What a brazen effort to undo the ongoing negotiations!
We got about ten inches. Snowed most of the day. Hard, crisp snow. Minus zero temps and windchills tonight. swept a path across the porch from door to stairs. Da boy seems like frolicking in the snow.
Yes, Pat! I read one of Netanyahu's books some years ago and have never trusted him since. He is all about annihilating Palestinians and Iranians. And he's mean about it. Anything he says that smacks of diplomacy is just smoke and mirrors. And now that he's in power again, he isn't even trying all that hard to pretend to be a good guy. He seems to me just a cleaned up version of Ariel Sharon. Very scary. Please understand, I am not anti-Semitic. My own brother is Jewish, as is my daughter's best friend, and I love them both. I am all for Israel being safe. But I am NOT for giving Israel vast fundage with no requirement of responsibility. And as an American I am more than annoyed (really kind of pissed off, and you know I don't say that often!), that he came and spoke to Congress without it being an invitation from the President. He should have backed out as soon as he heard it was an end-run on the part of Republicans, but instead the tiger simply showed his stripes. I hope Democrats really took notice!!
Shirlee! I love the thought of you having it warm enough for a walk to the bookshop!! :-D
We all need some sunshine and warmth, especially Pat so she can get well and stay well, and puddle so she can get out and about again one of these days.
I could use some too. It hasn't been as snowy here as there, but it has gotten cold again for a day or so (expecting -11F tonight), and MY congestion has returned as well, Pat! Just today I realized my eyes were feeling irritated and a little swollen again, so I called the doc and was told to go ahead and fill the refill on the antibiotic-cortisone drops he prescribed two weeks ago today. So, 9 more days of it for me. I hope it works this time. It may be that instead gf going to my eye doc I should have gone to my primary and gotten an oral antibiotic to treat my whole body at once. Who knew? I'll see if I can do some intensive home remedies along with the drops. Hoping!
But with Spring on the way, the days lengthening, and the sun getting warmer, Spring is going to win, and we just might too! ♥
Hi Listener, yes, use all the home remedies. I gargled with salt water, and that helped somewhat. Talk about a mucous production factory! Yes, a long winter.
I agree with you entirely, Listener, about Netanyahu. Boehner inviting him to undermine, sabotage, the ongoing negotiations is a disgrace. I wrote a letter to the editor, but haven't decided to submit it yet. I'm glad that Netanyahu didn't fool everybody.
We should have some sunshine and warmer temperatures here beginning tomorrow.
Take care. I agree, it's great that it was nice enough for you, Shirlee, to walk to the bookstore.
Well, Iam happy my small jaunt to the bookstore made You happy, Listener and Pat. I found a Wendell Berry book of essays I realized Ididn't have a da nice volume on the historic architecture of the North Carolina Piedmont.
Now, I hope you both can shake off this nasty bug!!
puddle, up here the National Weather Service folks are saying that the season HAS indeed shifted! Warmer temps a-coming in. Callooh! Callay!
We had a good day. In the morning Mah*Sweetie and Root*Center*Son got the rest of the snow off our garage roof, because the roof had begun to leak in 4 places. Good now. They also went over to the next house and got snow off a neighbor's sunroom roof for the same reason. In the afternoon we all went bowling with Eldest and VT*Grand. Fun! Then we came home and watched the movie Dave. :-)
Yep, in the fifties projected for the Greensboro area for the next few days! About time. Are you able to get out now, Puddle or do you still have piles of the stuff?
Have fun with your family, Listemer.
Just in case it cheers anyone's day-- It was warm enough yesterday that I was able to get out and walk with stops in two of my favorite places--a shop which does a very nice job of framing photos, etc. and, of course, the book store which was VERY busy!
Yes, Shirlee, it cheers me immensely…much like hearing that the Ruby-Throateds or Monarchs have been sighted and are headed my way. :-) Sunshine here at the moment and 32F!
I am not getting over this viral cold thing. It might be bacterial, though I'm functional. But my right eye still weeps between applications of the prescription eye drops, though it feels great for a few hours each time I use the drops. I suspect that the eye isn't the root of the issue. I will have to be all the more diligent to rest this week. Hard, when I want to play! Ha!
Hi Friends, A beautiful day today and yesterday, temperatures in the 50s and lots of sun and melting.
Listener, you may want to see your family physician. We're slowly getting over this virus, but the coughing, mucous, lack of energy, sometimes headaches and sore throats continues. It's as I've said the nastiest cold I think I've ever had. I've heard that it's pretty common around the country. I do think the Amoxicillin is helping.
Just finished reading an article in the March 9th New yorker, "Break-In at Y-12" by Eric Schlosser. It's about the Dorothy Day inspired Ploughshares group who break into nuclear facilities to demonstrate the vulnerability, the danger, and the immorality of nuclear weapons. At least 25 countries in the world have weapons grade nuclear materials, and the security is lax, sometimes not at all. It is a well written, disturbing article, and I hope it will get the attention of politicians and citizens.
So glad to see some nicer weather for some of you folks. I know that you are tired of snow and rain.
hope colds are finally on the mend. Wasted too much time trying to get my new prescription service up and running. seems that it doesn't recognize me although I've obviously signed in before as I have a password and login recorded in my password log. sigh. love bureaucracy.
Thanks, Barb--it is so nice to have the worst over here in NC! Now come the rains-- but that is fine with it comes 50-60 degree weather.
I am off in a bit to try out a 3 position chair for my perch in the living room. I have a lovely, but 20 year old sofa that has been repaired, but much too firm. Will give it to someone younger who needs a sofa and doesn't have hip problems :) Good health to all!
Whew! Nancy woke worried (neighbors, too). Bright sunny day here, still lotsa snow to go, and rain and more warm. She's worried and some others are worried. So I need some prayers that will calm their worries.
WV has a long and honored history of putting trailer parks next to rivers. Floods cause many problems in such situations. Rescuers are used to cleaning up in such situations. It is difficult to dissuade them that you have thought about this, and planned for it.
Example: Hurricane Isobel in 2003, delivered 12" of rain in 24 hours. I spent the night in my car parked a bit up my hill. When I walked back in in the morning, the water was right at my second step, with four steps above that to my house floor. A FEMA trailer sits 2' above ground. I'm 4' 10" above ground level. 1/2" of rain is predicted. 10" of heavy wet snow remains (yielding about 2" to 4" of water).
I honor Nancy's worry. I love her for worrying. I love the other neighbors who are worrying, but I simply can't worry myself into leaving for a week, which is what they wish.
SO. The car is gone (garage picked it up). If I have to walk up hill to Nancy's, sobeit. I am asking for prayers to calm the worriers before they give themselves strokes worrying about me.
And I'll continue to read as many weather predictions as I can to see if I can scare myself into leaving.
Will send calming thoughts to your worriers, Puddle--they sound a bit like the folks on the Texas Coast who packed up and hit the road WAY ahead of time. There is a time to stay and a time to go.
63º and the river hasn't really risen higher than it was this a.m. I think perhaps the ground wasn't as sodden as it appeared--rather: it was frozen, and now it's thawing, at least some of the snow melt is sinking in.
But I have been worried all day about my worriers. I think if I'm going to be allowed to stay here, I might need a small "hermitage" on the bluff above the river. Maybe about the size of a walk in closet? With heat/water/light/secure (against mice) storage. Just knowing I had a safe place to go in a disaster might could sooth furrowed brows.
puddle that would probably be a good idea. folks who love you would probably feel a lot better and with the crazy weather we get now you just might have no warning some time. be safe! xo
Thanks for checking in as often as you can, puddle. I definitely have Sheriff Chuck on speed dial, even though it's no longer Chuck, and it's not even Sheriff Puff anymore. I've dubbed the new guy Sheriff HatTrick. ;-)
Hat Trick is a term in Soccer used when a player has a goal, an assist and a fight all In one game. We're focused on ASSIST here. :-) It's a wordplay on the new sheriff Donald Hedrick's last name. ;-) Nice that they all keep the same phone number. Ha!
Good morning all! The back of winter has been broken here in Vermont! It's still cool but I do believe that the negative numbers are behind us!
listener I had never heard that meaning of hat trick! in hockey and soccer I have always known a hat trick to be 3 goals in one game by a single player. can't say as I have ever seen a fight in a soccer match, this must be the European futbol meaning of it! Hagrid would be a good name for puddle's sheriff, I loved that character in the books - stern but caring!
:-) Jo, I had to look it up, which reveals my lack of sports prowess, so don't judge by what *I* wrote. Ha! I only added the definition because when I looked it up I discovered that the urban definition of a hat trick is to have sex with three partners in the same day (!!!), and I didn't want to possibly malign our good Sheriff! :-D
And, yes, yes, yes, it is WARM in Vermont today!!! It is already 47F at my house, which is 8 degrees warmer than predicted for this hour. We might break 50F this afternoon!!!
The morning sun bright on snow drift remnants showed a winter wind had howled (not today) there in the bean field. White proof, still, where it had piled. New Spring sun growing stronger like a baby deer. Look now as shadows lengthen. It was today The fawn has lost her spots.
Nice,Phil. A moment caught. It reminds me of the fawns that visited our meadow a few days ago.
About the Republican Senators' letter to Iran. I am shocked, stunned, worried. How is this not treason to interfere with negotiations the Constitution gives as perogative and responsibility to the President, to side with our enemies, and to threaten to invalidate the agreement? I can't think of a more egregious act in my lifetime.
My sense is that there is a Republican coup taking place, all the way from the "Birthers'" lies, to obstruction, to denigration, to Obama doesn't love America, to inviting Netanyahu to speak without informing the President.
Our democracy is in great danger, I think. What can we do?
Pat, it seems more and more to me that about a third of us are terrified all the time and can only view the world through that lens. I 'spect it's always been so. Of that third, a third to a half are just batshit krezzy (teahaddists). The teapotty types have just learned about politics (sort of), but really mostly have only the power to block, not to achieve their goals. As Dems, there's damn little we can do except keep on trying to get our guys in. We have to offer the indies something sane to vote for. . . .
I like the vision of all the greenie types, but they have such a huge time giving up enough to even manage to schedule a meeting, much less win an election. Ego?
I think all we can do is make sure the children actually get educated and equipped with visionary genes. . . . I suppose there could be something in the techie bag of tricks that would make that easier, but all I'm seeing currently is expansion of what can be classified as selfies.
Hi Puddle, I understand your perspective and mostly I've shared it, but this particular act by Republican Senators is the most egregious in my lifetime.
There is the Logan Act which prohibits anyone from interfering with ongoing negotiations regarding foreign countries. It was established in 1799 and updated about 50 years later. It has seldom been used, but it is clear that no one may interfere with the President's ability and responsibility to negotiate foreign policy.
I went to wethepeople.gov and found three petitions concerning this. They are Most Recent Petitions See All
begin a Justice Department investigation of Congressman Boehner for illegal activities under the Logan Act. File charges against the Senators who sent a letter to Iran. Address and prosecute the clear violation of the Logan Act by the Republican senators' March 9th open letter to Iran.
Puddle, I think we have to do something. From the beginning lies of the Birthers to the calculated takeover of Congress, we are faced with a real possibility of losing this democracy. If there are no consequences from such arrogance, hostility, and undermining, it will continue. Something in me is pleading, Howard Dean, we need you.
Thanks, Puddle. Only 1/3 of the American electorate voted in the last election. We have Republican thugs in control of Congress. The Koch Brothers, Scaife, Adelston, Carl Rove, and right wing zealots are undermining this country. What to do?
Speak out, read, discuss, be present. I don't think we can afford not to. The privatization of prisons, profiting off the military; our biggest corporations in overseas banks, and the list goes on. We have to do what we can, and I hope we will.
The temp hit 49F here today, and 50F in Burlington! It sure has cheered up folks. :-)
I started an oil painting today. It is going to be a closeup of Irises: dark purple, yellow and light purple against a mottled gray background. I got the background done and have a fan on it to dry it ASAP so I can get going on the flower petals. It feels so good to be messing about with oils again!! I use the water-soluble oils.
I'm so glad to be slowly getting better today. It makes everything more bearable.
I've had an odd stretch of ordering mishaps, and keep thinking of you, puddle, and your long wait for shipped goods. It seems like just about everything I've ordered in the last month had to be sent back, from clothing (too baggy for the size), to blank cards and envelopes (I've ordered a dozen times before but this time ordered all in the wrong size!*), to a camera, and even an apron I bought locally for painting isn't working out (the upper strap circles behind the neck and latches, but it bugs the back of my neck). But here's one good thing. The zoom on my old camera (Sony Cybershot H20) has seen better days, so I ordered a newer version of the same camera, the H90. It arrived today and I immediately got it fired up and took comparison photos with the old and the new. To my surprise the old won hands down! So I am sending back the H90 and ordered a new H20. :-) AND! Since I found a "new, but box was opened" H20 on Ebay I ordered that! It's so great because it's $489 from the camera store, but just $150 on Ebay (trusted seller). Then I ordered a second one from another trusted Ebay seller for just $130 new, to give Youngest and his wife before the new baby comes, as their previous camera has gone missing. I'm excited about this! Here is the link to a few comparison photos showing the difference between the two cameras:
* Meant to incude that what messed me up in ordering was a combination of it being a whole year since I'd last ordered, and the fact that while the cards are size A2 from the store, my computer calls them size A5. Weird.
Got a decent over the bridge event happening now. Nothing in the breathtaking or even anxiety making range. Don't think I mentioned that when the garage came to get the car, it couldn't be moved because it was frozen into the ground. That had to go back and get a strap the tow it out (and then drive it away). Water not yet over that parking space.
Stayed in the fifties overnight, so substantial melt going on. Still a lot to be melted, but misty rather than sun so far, so that slows it a bit.
Monday, I had five different weather sites up, and the amount of rain we got (Nancy's rain gauge) is almost a perfect match for what I was seeing. MUCH below what Nancy was listening to. A third of an inch vs one to two inches.
Saw Howard on Lawrence O'Donnell the other night. He sure looked in fine form. Being his usual straight up talk and not being coy. Love the man!
Struggled for days trying to get the Quicken files from KCDCC to open in QuickBooks which is my preferred program. Still no luck. going to try here at work as it may be a more powerful computer than my older laptop...
Hope everyone is feeling better and the weather is improving.
Barb! How cool to have a Howard Dean sighting! I wish I got alerts when he's going to be on TV. I always seem to miss him. But National Nurse Teri got to have breakfast with him last week, and she concurs with you that he's looking fine. She said he's headed soon to Vietnam and South Africa. Did he mention on the show what he's doing as he travels these days?
Ah, beloved puddle, thanks for the update! Lawdamussy, in all my days here in the Winter Wonderland of Vermont, I have never heard of a car freezing to the ground! Had it sunk into the soil a bit before the hard freeze?
No painting today, though, as the background is still drying. So I did some preliminary sketching and that felt really good. Meanwhile my irises are beginning to wane, so it's a good thing I took a heap of photos of them. I still appreciate having the curling up irises here, though, as the exact tone of them when the sunlight is on them, and the particular veining would be hard to discern in the photos, as compared with the real thing.
I think more that it's been sitting in the same place for months. . . . I tend to think of my parking spaces, like the road, as being un muddable, but clearly not, lol!
Starting Downton for about the 22nd time. Found a fan board and have signed up twice, but the activating email refuses to come, and without it, I can't even tell them I have a problem, so guess I'm a permanent lurker there.
I'm impressed you can watch Downton (or anything) that many times. The only show I've come close to that with is As Time Goes By, and I'd say it's more like a dozen times. :-) We have to give ourselves a year or so between, sometimes, so that maybe we can forget some of the dialogue and be surprised by something the next time we watch it. We do this with certain movies too. :-)
The outcry over the letter to Iran continues. Rachelle Maddow addressed it for the past two nights. Some of the senators say it was "cheeky" a joke, others are hawkish. Even McCain said maybe it shouldn't have been written. Others, including the author, say it was meant to undermine the President and negotiations, which is the truth. I do hope for lots of attention and outrage because it is outrageous, treason in my mind.
Listener, your paintings are beautiful. How wonderful to have such talent and effort. I admire talents and creativity, so necessary for life, for optimism, for contributions.
Glad you are feeling better. We too, but it's still there. What a year of colds!
I think I mentioned that there are no spoilers for me in life/TV/games. I don't *like* uncertainty, not knowing, fear. Partly, since I was never allowed to watch scary shows/movies as a kid, I think I missed getting the adrenaline addiction this culture adores. Frisson holds no charm for me.
As a theatre major in college, I loved sitting on the front row, to the side, so I could look back into the wings and see the elves working to run the show. I love discovering how things work. And how they don't.
Just discovered that Alastair Bruce, the historical adviser, played the role of the Lord Chancellor (who announces the girls for presentation). Then I noticed him as one of the officers when Matthew's general visited Downton as a nursing home. So then googled, and discovered that he's played one tiny role in each series. This time through, noticed that Tom was in the kitchen when Sybil was getting cooking lessons. Earlier discoveries were that the dog had changed sex between the first series and the rest. Turns out that the first dog was known in the script as Pharaoh, and didn't get along with the castle owners' dog. That both dogs' names were tribute to the actual owners of "Downton" whose actual Count was part of the Tutankhamen tomb explorations. Usually by about time 8 I'm noticing discontinuities, lol! This time, with Downton, only more and more the care that's gone into *every detail* at every level. . . . Take that back: this time through series five, the age of Marigold jumps around wildly. The first scene at the Drewes looks to have been the last one shot, judging by her age. The problem, of course is how MUCH babies change in any six month period. . . . The other is the timing of the Beer Hall putsch, where Gregson is killed took place in October of 1923, and by autumn of 1924, he has a 10 month old daughter. . . . who appears to be 15 months old. Also, from Sybil's death to the cricket match is only a couple of months, and no one's still in mourning or even half mourning. . . .
Next time you watch As Time Goes By, notice the African Warrior drawing in the vestibule of Lionel's apartment. There are also paintings in The Horse's Mouth I'd give the world to own.
Because I watch on the computer, sometimes it's just running in the background, and I'm listening as I'm doing other things, and switch back for favorite scenes. Because I watch alone, I can go back multiple times to catch a detail, which you really can't do with a partner, lol! Did you notice that the Della Francesca angel was a different picture in the Kemal Pamuke scene and the later ones with the art expert who hits on Cora?
grin
This is the dollmaker who seriously considered sewing chest hairs on her first commercial Santa, so they could peep out between the button closings on his red long johns. . . . The long johns were made from red wool socks, and the buttons were tiny jingle bells. . . .
Series four begins with Anna offering Mary a lavender shawl, which times it at six months--the first possible date for half mourning for a widow. Which also tells you that we're into the 20th century, as earlier, it would have been a year. The fact that Mary wanted the black one also tells us she wasn't nearly ready to move on.
Only been able to spot one scene where those evening gloves' hands were tucked into the sleeve to eat. (one opens the buttons on the wrist, and tucks the hands into the upper part of the glove)
Yeah: a lover of Trivial Pursuit. And a winner. Elmo Lincoln played the first screen Tarzan.
River running jade and just under the lip of the bridge. Nancy said the down river side looked like they were all going full steam! Lost a LOT of snow pack today. Big patches of bare ground visible. First sign of spring last night: the first spider! Scheduled peeper appearance is about March 20. And usually, one last snow the week of the peepers.
60 comments:
And Howard is so much more alert than that sweet doggie.
My cousin rescues Greyhounds and has 3 or 4 of them right now. They are as spoiled as can be.
Oh, my--how comfortable he looks! Maybe we need to take lessons.
Wondering why my bed felt more than comfortable this morning, I was wide awake, but it was still too dark
outside. Finally my med timer rang and it was 10:00 AM
and darkish because another rainy, slushy, snowy storm
was moving in!!! Stay warm and safe all. Healthy also!
Hi Friends,
This nasty cold has returned. Unbelievable! The doc prescribed a refill for the antibiotics, so we had it refilled, but it is the worst cold I think I've ever had: cough, sinus, sore throat, headache. Ah, there must be some reason we humans get colds, but what that is I can't imagine. So, hunkering down for a while.
Watched Netanyahu's speech. Talk about Jingoism! He never mentioned that Eisenhower and Churchill agreed to overthrow the Prime Minister of Iran in 1953 when he nationalized the British-Iran oil company because the Brits wouldn't let him audit the books or change the conditions for exploiting their oil reserves. Netanyahu presented Iran as the enemy and asked for more sanctions, more rules, and getting rid of all nuclear reactors even for domestic energy purposes. We know how well punishment, exclusion, and threats work, don't we. The Treaty of Versailles, the Cuba sanctions for 50 years. What a brazen effort to undo the ongoing negotiations!
Well, have a good day.
We got about ten inches. Snowed most of the day. Hard, crisp snow. Minus zero temps and windchills tonight. swept a path across the porch from door to stairs. Da boy seems like frolicking in the snow.
Yes, Pat! I read one of Netanyahu's books some years ago and have never trusted him since. He is all about annihilating Palestinians and Iranians. And he's mean about it. Anything he says that smacks of diplomacy is just smoke and mirrors. And now that he's in power again, he isn't even trying all that hard to pretend to be a good guy. He seems to me just a cleaned up version of Ariel Sharon. Very scary. Please understand, I am not anti-Semitic. My own brother is Jewish, as is my daughter's best friend, and I love them both. I am all for Israel being safe. But I am NOT for giving Israel vast fundage with no requirement of responsibility. And as an American I am more than annoyed (really kind of pissed off, and you know I don't say that often!), that he came and spoke to Congress without it being an invitation from the President. He should have backed out as soon as he heard it was an end-run on the part of Republicans, but instead the tiger simply showed his stripes. I hope Democrats really took notice!!
Shirlee! I love the thought of you having it warm enough for a walk to the bookshop!! :-D
We all need some sunshine and warmth, especially Pat so she can get well and stay well, and puddle so she can get out and about again one of these days.
I could use some too. It hasn't been as snowy here as there, but it has gotten cold again for a day or so (expecting -11F tonight), and MY congestion has returned as well, Pat! Just today I realized my eyes were feeling irritated and a little swollen again, so I called the doc and was told to go ahead and fill the refill on the antibiotic-cortisone drops he prescribed two weeks ago today. So, 9 more days of it for me. I hope it works this time. It may be that instead gf going to my eye doc I should have gone to my primary and gotten an oral antibiotic to treat my whole body at once. Who knew? I'll see if I can do some intensive home remedies along with the drops. Hoping!
But with Spring on the way, the days lengthening, and the sun getting warmer, Spring is going to win, and we just might too! ♥
How's Jo tonight, I wonder? Once I'm less germy, Jo, and you're up to it, I still want to take you to lunch!
:-)
Hi Listener, yes, use all the home remedies. I gargled with salt water, and that helped somewhat. Talk about a mucous production factory! Yes, a long winter.
I agree with you entirely, Listener, about Netanyahu. Boehner inviting him to undermine, sabotage, the ongoing negotiations is a disgrace. I wrote a letter to the editor, but haven't decided to submit it yet. I'm glad that Netanyahu didn't fool everybody.
We should have some sunshine and warmer temperatures here beginning tomorrow.
Take care. I agree, it's great that it was nice enough for you, Shirlee, to walk to the bookstore.
Be well.
Well, Iam happy my small jaunt to the bookstore made
You happy, Listener and Pat. I found a Wendell Berry book of essays I realized Ididn't have a da nice volume on the historic architecture of the North Carolina Piedmont.
Now, I hope you both can shake off this nasty bug!!
Things one had suspected: West Virginia has most deer-vehicle collisions.
Looking at the extended forecast--Starting tomorrow, not one single day with 32º or below on it for the next 10 days!! And not two weeks till spring.
Snow's drifted and thick, but it'll be going, eh?
puddle, up here the National Weather Service folks are saying that the season HAS indeed shifted! Warmer temps a-coming in. Callooh! Callay!
We had a good day. In the morning Mah*Sweetie and Root*Center*Son got the rest of the snow off our garage roof, because the roof had begun to leak in 4 places. Good now. They also went over to the next house and got snow off a neighbor's sunroom roof for the same reason. In the afternoon we all went bowling with Eldest and VT*Grand. Fun! Then we came home and watched the movie Dave. :-)
Yep, in the fifties projected for the Greensboro area for the
next few days! About time. Are you able to get out now, Puddle or do you still have piles of the stuff?
Have fun with your family, Listemer.
Just in case it cheers anyone's day-- It was warm enough
yesterday that I was able to get out and walk with stops in two of my favorite places--a shop which does a very nice
job of framing photos, etc. and, of course, the book store which was VERY busy!
Past and Listener over the nasty colds?
Yes, Shirlee, it cheers me immensely…much like hearing that the Ruby-Throateds or Monarchs have been sighted and are headed my way. :-) Sunshine here at the moment and 32F!
I am not getting over this viral cold thing. It might be bacterial, though I'm functional. But my right eye still weeps between applications of the prescription eye drops, though it feels great for a few hours each time I use the drops. I suspect that the eye isn't the root of the issue. I will have to be all the more diligent to rest this week. Hard, when I want to play! Ha!
Hi Friends,
A beautiful day today and yesterday, temperatures in the 50s and lots of sun and melting.
Listener, you may want to see your family physician. We're slowly getting over this virus, but the coughing, mucous, lack of energy, sometimes headaches and sore throats continues. It's as I've said the nastiest cold I think I've ever had. I've heard that it's pretty common around the country. I do think the Amoxicillin is helping.
Just finished reading an article in the March 9th New yorker, "Break-In at Y-12" by Eric Schlosser. It's about the Dorothy Day inspired Ploughshares group who break into nuclear facilities to demonstrate the vulnerability, the danger, and the immorality of nuclear weapons. At least 25 countries in the world have weapons grade nuclear materials, and the security is lax, sometimes not at all. It is a well written, disturbing article, and I hope it will get the attention of politicians and citizens.
Anyway, off for a short walk with Molly.
Gorgeous day! 60º with lots of sun and very blue skies. Wonderful. Hard to keep da boi in, lol! Lotsa snow melt, river's risin'. . . .
So glad to see some nicer weather for some of you folks. I know that you are tired of snow and rain.
hope colds are finally on the mend. Wasted too much time trying to get my new prescription service up and running. seems that it doesn't recognize me although I've obviously signed in before as I have a password and login recorded in my password log. sigh. love bureaucracy.
hoping for nicer weather for you all. XOXOXO
Thanks, Barb--it is so nice to have the worst over here
in NC! Now come the rains-- but that is fine with it
comes 50-60 degree weather.
I am off in a bit to try out a 3 position chair for my perch
in the living room. I have a lovely, but 20 year old sofa
that has been repaired, but much too firm. Will give it to
someone younger who needs a sofa and doesn't have
hip problems :) Good health to all!
Whew! Nancy woke worried (neighbors, too). Bright sunny day here, still lotsa snow to go, and rain and more warm. She's worried and some others are worried. So I need some prayers that will calm their worries.
WV has a long and honored history of putting trailer parks next to rivers. Floods cause many problems in such situations. Rescuers are used to cleaning up in such situations. It is difficult to dissuade them that you have thought about this, and planned for it.
Example: Hurricane Isobel in 2003, delivered 12" of rain in 24 hours. I spent the night in my car parked a bit up my hill. When I walked back in in the morning, the water was right at my second step, with four steps above that to my house floor. A FEMA trailer sits 2' above ground. I'm 4' 10" above ground level. 1/2" of rain is predicted. 10" of heavy wet snow remains (yielding about 2" to 4" of water).
I honor Nancy's worry. I love her for worrying. I love the other neighbors who are worrying, but I simply can't worry myself into leaving for a week, which is what they wish.
SO. The car is gone (garage picked it up). If I have to walk up hill to Nancy's, sobeit. I am asking for prayers to calm the worriers before they give themselves strokes worrying about me.
And I'll continue to read as many weather predictions as I can to see if I can scare myself into leaving.
I just *can't* get scared.
Nighttime Precip. Amount (inches) Mon .01-.10 Tues .11-.24
Woden's day .01-.10 Thor's day NONE Fri .11-.24
Will send calming thoughts to your worriers, Puddle--they sound a bit like the folks on the Texas Coast who packed up and hit the road WAY ahead of time. There is a time to stay and a time to go.
I'll be thinking of you. You have lots of experience, good sense, and understanding. I know that you will be okay. Keep us informed.
63º and the river hasn't really risen higher than it was this a.m. I think perhaps the ground wasn't as sodden as it appeared--rather: it was frozen, and now it's thawing, at least some of the snow melt is sinking in.
But I have been worried all day about my worriers. I think if I'm going to be allowed to stay here, I might need a small "hermitage" on the bluff above the river. Maybe about the size of a walk in closet? With heat/water/light/secure (against mice) storage. Just knowing I had a safe place to go in a disaster might could sooth furrowed brows.
puddle that would probably be a good idea. folks who love you would probably feel a lot better and with the crazy weather we get now you just might have no warning some time. be safe! xo
Thanks for checking in as often as you can, puddle.
I definitely have Sheriff Chuck on speed dial, even though it's no longer Chuck, and it's not even Sheriff Puff anymore. I've dubbed the new guy Sheriff HatTrick. ;-)
Hat Trick is a term in Soccer used when a player has a goal, an assist and a fight all
In one game. We're focused on ASSIST here. :-) It's a wordplay on the new sheriff Donald Hedrick's last name. ;-)
Nice that they all keep the same phone number. Ha!
Or we could call him Sheriff Hagrid. ;-)
Good morning all! The back of winter has been broken here in Vermont! It's still cool but I do believe that the negative numbers are behind us!
listener I had never heard that meaning of hat trick! in hockey and soccer I have always known a hat trick to be 3 goals in one game by a single player. can't say as I have ever seen a fight in a soccer match, this must be the European futbol meaning of it! Hagrid would be a good name for puddle's sheriff, I loved that character in the books - stern but caring!
:-) Jo, I had to look it up, which reveals my lack of sports prowess, so don't judge by what *I* wrote. Ha! I only added the definition because when I looked it up I discovered that the urban definition of a hat trick is to have sex with three partners in the same day (!!!), and I didn't want to possibly malign our good Sheriff! :-D
And, yes, yes, yes, it is WARM in Vermont today!!! It is already 47F at my house, which is 8 degrees warmer than predicted for this hour. We might break 50F this afternoon!!!
And, dare I say, I believe I am starting to be on the mend! Sending warm wellness wishes your way, Pat!!! ♥
Phil Specht
8 March at 19:05 ·
The Fawn Fields of Spring
The morning sun
bright on snow drift remnants
showed a winter wind had howled
(not today) there in the bean field.
White proof, still, where it had piled.
New Spring sun growing stronger
like a baby deer.
Look now as shadows lengthen.
It was today
The fawn has lost her spots.
A hat-trick or hat trick in sports is the achievement of a positive feat three times or more during a game, or other achievements based on threes.
Nice,Phil. A moment caught. It reminds me of the fawns that visited our meadow a few days ago.
About the Republican Senators' letter to Iran. I am shocked, stunned, worried. How is this not treason to interfere with negotiations the Constitution gives as perogative and responsibility to the President, to side with our enemies, and to threaten to invalidate the agreement? I can't think of a more egregious act in my lifetime.
My sense is that there is a Republican coup taking place, all the way from the "Birthers'" lies, to obstruction, to denigration, to Obama doesn't love America, to inviting Netanyahu to speak without informing the President.
Our democracy is in great danger, I think. What can we do?
Pat, it seems more and more to me that about a third of us are terrified all the time and can only view the world through that lens. I 'spect it's always been so. Of that third, a third to a half are just batshit krezzy (teahaddists). The teapotty types have just learned about politics (sort of), but really mostly have only the power to block, not to achieve their goals. As Dems, there's damn little we can do except keep on trying to get our guys in. We have to offer the indies something sane to vote for. . . .
I like the vision of all the greenie types, but they have such a huge time giving up enough to even manage to schedule a meeting, much less win an election. Ego?
I think all we can do is make sure the children actually get educated and equipped with visionary genes. . . . I suppose there could be something in the techie bag of tricks that would make that easier, but all I'm seeing currently is expansion of what can be classified as selfies.
Hi Puddle, I understand your perspective and mostly I've shared it, but this particular act by Republican Senators is the most egregious in my lifetime.
There is the Logan Act which prohibits anyone from interfering with ongoing negotiations regarding foreign countries. It was established in 1799 and updated about 50 years later. It has seldom been used, but it is clear that no one may interfere with the President's ability and responsibility to negotiate foreign policy.
I went to wethepeople.gov and found three petitions concerning this. They are Most Recent Petitions
See All
begin a Justice Department investigation of Congressman Boehner for illegal activities under the Logan Act.
File charges against the Senators who sent a letter to Iran.
Address and prosecute the clear violation of the Logan Act by the Republican senators' March 9th open letter to Iran.
Puddle, I think we have to do something. From the beginning lies of the Birthers to the calculated takeover of Congress, we are faced with a real possibility of losing this democracy. If there are no consequences from such arrogance, hostility, and undermining, it will continue. Something in me is pleading, Howard Dean, we need you.
Pat, I think this may put your heart to ease. Brilliant!
http://thedailybanter.com/2015/03/white-house-wont-pursue-gop-senators-iran-letter-logan-act-violation/
Thanks, Puddle. Only 1/3 of the American electorate voted in the last election. We have Republican thugs in control of Congress. The Koch Brothers, Scaife, Adelston, Carl Rove, and right wing zealots are undermining this country. What to do?
Speak out, read, discuss, be present. I don't think we can afford not to. The privatization of prisons, profiting off the military; our biggest corporations in overseas banks, and the list goes on. We have to do what we can, and I hope we will.
And so we go on.
The temp hit 49F here today, and 50F in Burlington! It sure has cheered up folks. :-)
I started an oil painting today. It is going to be a closeup of Irises: dark purple, yellow and light purple against a mottled gray background. I got the background done and have a fan on it to dry it ASAP so I can get going on the flower petals. It feels so good to be messing about with oils again!! I use the water-soluble oils.
I'm so glad to be slowly getting better today. It makes everything more bearable.
I've had an odd stretch of ordering mishaps, and keep thinking of you, puddle, and your long wait for shipped goods. It seems like just about everything I've ordered in the last month had to be sent back, from clothing (too baggy for the size), to blank cards and envelopes (I've ordered a dozen times before but this time ordered all in the wrong size!*), to a camera, and even an apron I bought locally for painting isn't working out (the upper strap circles behind the neck and latches, but it bugs the back of my neck).
But here's one good thing. The zoom on my old camera (Sony Cybershot H20) has seen better days, so I ordered a newer version of the same camera, the H90. It arrived today and I immediately got it fired up and took comparison photos with the old and the new. To my surprise the old won hands down! So I am sending back the H90 and ordered a new H20. :-) AND! Since I found a "new, but box was opened" H20 on Ebay I ordered that! It's so great because it's $489 from the camera store, but just $150 on Ebay (trusted seller). Then I ordered a second one from another trusted Ebay seller for just $130 new, to give Youngest and his wife before the new baby comes, as their previous camera has gone missing. I'm excited about this! Here is the link to a few comparison photos showing the difference between the two cameras:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153377210641754&type=1&l=cfda9a9c12
And now I must get to sleep so I can paint some more tomorrow! Yeah!! :-D
* Meant to incude that what messed me up in ordering was a combination of it being a whole year since I'd last ordered, and the fact that while the cards are size A2 from the store, my computer calls them size A5. Weird.
*include
Warmish, little rain, not too much snow melt. River didn't make it over the bridge until dusk. And not much then.
Feeling loved is having out of state friends with your sheriff's phone number on their speeddialers. ♥
Got a decent over the bridge event happening now. Nothing in the breathtaking or even anxiety making range. Don't think I mentioned that when the garage came to get the car, it couldn't be moved because it was frozen into the ground. That had to go back and get a strap the tow it out (and then drive it away). Water not yet over that parking space.
Stayed in the fifties overnight, so substantial melt going on. Still a lot to be melted, but misty rather than sun so far, so that slows it a bit.
Monday, I had five different weather sites up, and the amount of rain we got (Nancy's rain gauge) is almost a perfect match for what I was seeing. MUCH below what Nancy was listening to. A third of an inch vs one to two inches.
Saw Howard on Lawrence O'Donnell the other night. He sure looked in fine form. Being his usual straight up talk and not being coy. Love the man!
Struggled for days trying to get the Quicken files from KCDCC to open in QuickBooks which is my preferred program. Still no luck. going to try here at work as it may be a more powerful computer than my older laptop...
Hope everyone is feeling better and the weather is improving.
XOXOXO
Barb! How cool to have a Howard Dean sighting! I wish I got alerts when he's going to be on TV. I always seem to miss him. But National Nurse Teri got to have breakfast with him last week, and she concurs with you that he's looking fine. She said he's headed soon to Vietnam and South Africa. Did he mention on the show what he's doing as he travels these days?
Ah, beloved puddle, thanks for the update! Lawdamussy, in all my days here in the Winter Wonderland of Vermont, I have never heard of a car freezing to the ground! Had it sunk into the soil a bit before the hard freeze?
I believe I am still improving, health-wise!
No painting today, though, as the background is still drying. So I did some preliminary sketching and that felt really good. Meanwhile my irises are beginning to wane, so it's a good thing I took a heap of photos of them. I still appreciate having the curling up irises here, though, as the exact tone of them when the sunlight is on them, and the particular veining would be hard to discern in the photos, as compared with the real thing.
I think more that it's been sitting in the same place for months. . . . I tend to think of my parking spaces, like the road, as being un muddable, but clearly not, lol!
Starting Downton for about the 22nd time. Found a fan board and have signed up twice, but the activating email refuses to come, and without it, I can't even tell them I have a problem, so guess I'm a permanent lurker there.
I'm impressed you can watch Downton (or anything) that many times. The only show I've come close to that with is As Time Goes By, and I'd say it's more like a dozen times. :-) We have to give ourselves a year or so between, sometimes, so that maybe we can forget some of the dialogue and be surprised by something the next time we watch it. We do this with certain movies too. :-)
Good Morning,
The outcry over the letter to Iran continues. Rachelle Maddow addressed it for the past two nights. Some of the senators say it was "cheeky" a joke, others are hawkish. Even McCain said maybe it shouldn't have been written. Others, including the author, say it was meant to undermine the President and negotiations, which is the truth. I do hope for lots of attention and outrage because it is outrageous, treason in my mind.
Listener, your paintings are beautiful. How wonderful to have such talent and effort. I admire talents and creativity, so necessary for life, for optimism, for contributions.
Glad you are feeling better. We too, but it's still there. What a year of colds!
Have a good day.
I think I mentioned that there are no spoilers for me in life/TV/games. I don't *like* uncertainty, not knowing, fear. Partly, since I was never allowed to watch scary shows/movies as a kid, I think I missed getting the adrenaline addiction this culture adores. Frisson holds no charm for me.
As a theatre major in college, I loved sitting on the front row, to the side, so I could look back into the wings and see the elves working to run the show. I love discovering how things work. And how they don't.
Just discovered that Alastair Bruce, the historical adviser, played the role of the Lord Chancellor (who announces the girls for presentation). Then I noticed him as one of the officers when Matthew's general visited Downton as a nursing home. So then googled, and discovered that he's played one tiny role in each series. This time through, noticed that Tom was in the kitchen when Sybil was getting cooking lessons. Earlier discoveries were that the dog had changed sex between the first series and the rest. Turns out that the first dog was known in the script as Pharaoh, and didn't get along with the castle owners' dog. That both dogs' names were tribute to the actual owners of "Downton" whose actual Count was part of the Tutankhamen tomb explorations. Usually by about time 8 I'm noticing discontinuities, lol! This time, with Downton, only more and more the care that's gone into *every detail* at every level. . . . Take that back: this time through series five, the age of Marigold jumps around wildly. The first scene at the Drewes looks to have been the last one shot, judging by her age. The problem, of course is how MUCH babies change in any six month period. . . . The other is the timing of the Beer Hall putsch, where Gregson is killed took place in October of 1923, and by autumn of 1924, he has a 10 month old daughter. . . . who appears to be 15 months old. Also, from Sybil's death to the cricket match is only a couple of months, and no one's still in mourning or even half mourning. . . .
Next time you watch As Time Goes By, notice the African Warrior drawing in the vestibule of Lionel's apartment. There are also paintings in The Horse's Mouth I'd give the world to own.
Because I watch on the computer, sometimes it's just running in the background, and I'm listening as I'm doing other things, and switch back for favorite scenes. Because I watch alone, I can go back multiple times to catch a detail, which you really can't do with a partner, lol! Did you notice that the Della Francesca angel was a different picture in the Kemal Pamuke scene and the later ones with the art expert who hits on Cora?
grin
This is the dollmaker who seriously considered sewing chest hairs on her first commercial Santa, so they could peep out between the button closings on his red long johns. . . . The long johns were made from red wool socks, and the buttons were tiny jingle bells. . . .
Series four begins with Anna offering Mary a lavender shawl, which times it at six months--the first possible date for half mourning for a widow. Which also tells you that we're into the 20th century, as earlier, it would have been a year. The fact that Mary wanted the black one also tells us she wasn't nearly ready to move on.
Only been able to spot one scene where those evening gloves' hands were tucked into the sleeve to eat. (one opens the buttons on the wrist, and tucks the hands into the upper part of the glove)
Yeah: a lover of Trivial Pursuit. And a winner. Elmo Lincoln played the first screen Tarzan.
Love your attention to detail, Puddle! Glad Pat and Listener are feeling better.
Lucky Teri! Jealous!
Still struggling with trying to get the KCDCC files open. don't know how they expect me to keep books if I don't have a working file.
Take care all. XOXO
here's some info on the quicken to quickbooks conversion tool Barb - hope this helps.
http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/Support/Articles/HOW16287
River running jade and just under the lip of the bridge. Nancy said the down river side looked like they were all going full steam! Lost a LOT of snow pack today. Big patches of bare ground visible. First sign of spring last night: the first spider! Scheduled peeper appearance is about March 20. And usually, one last snow the week of the peepers.
Culverts going full steam.
New thread!!
Post a Comment