I wish I had a solution for you. For the past month, I have had it as well, have been gasping for days. Yesterday we went to the Farmers' Market in Estes Park, and the first booth had organic solutions for almost everything from age spots to aches, to sinus and chest congestion. I bought Breathe Easy Oil from Taspens.com, an organic and holistic wellness family company from Conifer, Colorado. It's a concoction of eucalyptus oil, sunflower oil, ravensara oil, and peppermint oil. I don't know yet if it makes much of a difference, though this morning, I'm breathing easier.
I've tried all the remedies I know: cough syrup that's supposed to reduce mucous in throat, nose, and bronchial tubes, pills, saline sprays, Neti pots. I just don't know, Listener. I'm about at the end of my patience. Oh, at night, I use Vick's vaporub for nose and chest and a heating pad. My thoughts are, you and I are sensitive as to what's in the air. Here we're getting particulates from the wildfires in Canada. Maybe you are too. That means, our systems overproduce mucous, which blocks easy breathing.
I'll let you know if there's relief from Breathe Easy Oil. Their website is www.Taspens.com. Their phone is Lisa and & Andrew 303-505-0026.
Keep on trying and let me know what works. I really really am discomfited by this.
Other than that, we're supposed to get some sun for three days, but I don't know. It rained this morning.
so sorry that you ladies aren't feeling well. Pat the Vaporub on your chest is great - I would also put it on your neck from the base of your ears forward to cover your throat - but I wouldn't put it in your nose. it is too harsh and I know people who have made their conditions worse because their nose is constantly irritated by it. try just breathing it in from the open jar, much gentler and has the same effect. also you might want to consider buying some of those paper face masks to wear at night and times when the smoke seems worse. and lastly I would drink lots of water and peppermint tea - the tea not only helps with congestion it actually helps with pain. love you, hope you feel better soon!
Thank you, Jo. Good advice, and I'll follow it. I tried peppermint tea last night because of the organic oils I bought, and yes, it helps. Today I took a Zyrtec, a recommendation from a teacher friend. I've been afraid to try anything too strong, but we'll see. I'm at the point that I just want it to go away. Gasping, I'm useless for anything that involves physical exertion such as cleaning or even concentrating on reading. I do take Molly for a 20 to 30 minute walk every day, and somehow I feel better after that.
I'll let you know, Jo and Listener, how things go. Thank you for your caring and commiseration.
And now, sunshine. An aspen I thought was dead has come back to life with all the rain, and mariposa lilies are everywhere. They are white petaled, about three large petals with yellow pollen and stamens. Just so beautiful.
Pat this may sound contrary and might not be much fun when you are doing it, but if you have a period when you aren't feeling so bad try some breathing exercises. take a 'fairly' deep breath - don't try too hard - and hold it for a few seconds then release it as slowly as you can. keep doing this for maybe 5 to 10 times, trying to take a bit deeper breath each time and trying to release it more slowly if you can. you may cough some while doing this (that's good, it's your lungs trying to clear themselves and open up!) but I have found if I do this a few times a day it begins to get air deeper into my lungs and after a bit my breathing gets easier and the gasping goes away.
Jo..sometime in my life I have done this breathing exercise. Would it also be a relaxation technique? Have tried several things to de-stress. You are a fount of health care wisdom! Thank you..and again for setting up this wonderful site!
Oh, my---just in time for the bookies in Greensboro who are celebrating The Year of Melville at the bookstore! Weekly readings, discussions, tapes on the floor indicating the length of two types of whale. It is a long , narrow building from street to alley. It is a dedicated group so I assume they are correct.
Thanks, Jo. I will do this. When we returned from Inner Mongolia, Peoples Republic of China, I had asthma. The soft coal smoke in the air was probably what caused it. I spent several years here doing yoga, deep breathing, and finally, I was free of it. I'll do the deep breathing again. So far today has been one of my best days in weeks. To be able to breathe freely is a wonderful gift. I won't take it for granted again.
Beautiful sunny, warm day here. Everything is blooming.
Pat! I'm so sad you're still dealing with this! ♥ Yes, we have the smoke too, though so far we can't smell it. We've had that scenario before and if it happens that will be the day I finally go out and buy an air conditioner.
I'm eager to hear how the oil concoction works for you Pat. How is it administered?
Unaccountably, my sinuses suddenly shifted overnight from constantly blowing my nose to not really needing to much…! My throat felt awful when I woke up, but no fever. It's been okay most of the day, but now it hurts again. A couple times I have coughed up a small dollop of yellow crud. At least it's not green like last time.
Jo, I promise not to get together if I might be contagious on Weds. We could always wait one week. No one needs this stuff!
The oil concoction is in a small bottle, about two inches tall, a half inch in diameter. It has a revolving ball at the top. You just either use your fingers or roll it on your throat, chest, under your nose, above your nose. So far, it makes a difference. I've used it about five times today, and my breathing is free-er. I'll let you know tomorrow if I think it is worth having.
While we're not seeing smoke here, our radio and tv stations have issued an advisory because of the particulates in the air.
Maybe some cough syrup for your throat? Take care.
Thanks, Pat. It sounds promising. Fingers, toes and heart crossed!
I have Robitussin DM extra strength, both the day kind and the night kind! Today I have had a LOT less congestion so am coughing less. That's good because my throat does NOT like me coughing.
We can see a definite haze here, all the mountains are faded out, and the sky is not the right colour. Here's where to see the air quality for your area. (ANY area…just type your zip code.
Thanks for the links, Listener. I checked them. When we came to Colorado in 1971, we noticed the air over the reservoir in Nederland. It became darker every year, the smog coming up from Boulder. I think it's true to say that the air has deteriorated over the country.
I'm having some peppermint tea right now, and it's soothing. Jo suggested it, and I tried it last night because of the peppermint oil in the solution I purchased. Also, I heat up the water and breathe in the steam as it boils. I take the steam into my throat. It seems to help.
I have a sense that if we've been affected by bad air, the sensitivity remains. But, there is a solution, I'm convinced. It's just finding it.
I feel much better this morning, no gasping. Either Zyrtec and the oil from Taspen's works or I'm getting rid of this on my own. Anyway, good night sleep, no gasping. I think what started this was thicker, more profuse pine pollen than I've ever seen before. It was everywhere, still is on our deck and porch.
So off to Daz Bog for a poetry reading. I've been unable to write anything for months, so I'm taking something old. Here it is if you are interested.
Meadow Walk
In the morning early I go meadow walking gazing at grasses and wildflowers talking to myself.
I say things like thank you to no one I can see but merely feel the beauty of an amazing variety
because of sun and for just this summer enough rain. Can anything ever be enough I wonder. We are such a vain
species with unlimited appetites for more, more, more of everything: land, money, love power, things, status, food,
beauty, fame, pleasure. This meadow I call mine is merely lent to me to walk in for a while. Actually,
it owns me as I roam and talk wondering, stopping here and there, paying attention to, pulling up the thin, seed-full cheat grass.
What is it the meadow teaches? The Flax sways in morning sun hundreds of blue eyes eyeing me from the ground beneath my feet.
Purple Larkspur gather in groups as if meeting for morning coffee. Blue Penstemon declare a whole slope their territory, while Loco
weed, though poisonous to horses, basks in its fuchsia glow. Pink Primroses, wild Geraniums, white Mouse Ear chickweed, rare Wild Iris and tall
single yellow flower Salsify mingle among the random grasses. Birds chirp and trill continuously it seems in summer celebration.
The aspens I've planted, I admit, now that they may not make it. I realize the meadow will know. I no longer believe I can force
anything to grow. How was it that I came to think I could? I cannot change anyone, least of all a meadow. Rejoice
in what you feel, in being, I think the meadow sings as grasses hum in a morning wind that just now came up.
What part do I play in this meadow world as I walk and stop and look, talking to myself?
Some bird on my front porch is kicking up a fuss (Beau woke and ambled over to the door). I 'spect a Carolina Wren, just cause they're so talky. And I know it's not a Phoebe (who can mistake Phoebe talk?).
Ahhhhh, Pat. Thank you for the meadow walk. Your part was apparently to notice, appreciate and share the meadow, which may be why the meadow called to you and revealed some of its beauty to you. Our yard is such wonderfully imperfect grass that it grows Indian Paintbrush and Clover and more. It looks so much like a meadow between mowings that we always let it grow as long as we dare… having to balance beauty with safety what with the ticks everywhere.
I am delighted to hear that you are on the mend!! I can imagine using the oil, but for some reason peppermint tea gives me wicked indigestion. But I too am improving. I can breathe okay and don't need pain meds. But when I blow my nose or cough I'm surprised at what I can produce. Still, a little better each day.
Not this coming week, but the following, I plan to get back over to Bernie HQ to help out. I've been busy with Grands and in the coming week I'll be priming and painting Youngest's kitchen cabinets in the new house. I sure hope these 80's cool down a bit!
Thank you Listener, and Puddle for commenting on "Meadow Walk". The group at Daz Bog, 8 of us, was helpful and affirming. There were some good suggestions I will work with. I have been reading poetry in the American Poetry Review and the New Yorker. I read a poem, then read it again, and then again and say HUH?! We discussed the obscurity, the inaccessibility, the lack of music, theme, image in so much poetry. It feels so academic, so unwilling to invite the reader in.
Our session was the opposite: kind, helpful, humble, cooperative. I guess I don't care if my poetry is published. The joy is in the doing, and if someone is moved by it, appreciates it, or makes suggestions, that's the reward. Creativity is life and a motive for life, I think.
I'm glad you are feeling better too, Listener. A woman who works at our post office said that the air from Canada has been a big factor for allergies, plus there's an allergy called Pine Pollen Allergy. She said her eyes are affected by it, stinging, reddening, itching.
Traditional Medicinals Tea has a Breathe Easy Tea with eucalyptus, magnolia blossoms, licorice root, fennel fruit and Bi Yan Pian and extract made from Magnolia flower, Siler root, Forsythia fruit, and others. At the Farmers' Market, there was a booth with herbal teas, but I didn't stop. Next time I will.
Also, there's a plant known as Wooly Mullein or Miner's Candle. It's a tall stalk, the top covered by small yellow flowers, and the leaves as big as your hand, soft as velvet. We have lots of them here. They are considered an invasive species, but I like them. Meadow larks perch on them. Also, crushed and boiled, they are good for lungs, bronchial tubes. In a mixture of mint and sage, boiled, they can help with allergies, lung, throat, nasal, and bronchial.
I have hope that we can catch these infections and treat them.
yes, lovely poem Pat. I wish I had your way with words!
if you decide to use the mullein be prepared, I have had tea blends with it before and it is a strong expectorant, it made me cough really hard but cleared my lungs quite effectively. I was given the tea by a friend so I am not sure how strong it was but it scared me when I first started coughing, it took my breath away for a bit. if you read up on it the plant and flowers are used for a wide variety of healing!
Thanks Jo, for the caution on mullein. In a newspaper article in the Mountain-Ear from Nederland, a herbalist writes that it's important to learn how to work with herbs and it's necessary to get advice from an expert.
A nice day here, some clouds, but cool and sunny.
Can it really be almost mid July already? Wow, time seems to race by.
My difficulty is that herbal compounds usually make me break out in a stomach rash! The first time it ever happened was when a friend gave me some of a wonderful herbal compound she used regularly, which she bought from Canada. The next week, I was at the doctor with a rash and, despite my never having used herbs like that before, and despite him being my doctor for about 20 years, he asked, "Have you been using any herbal compounds lately?" Wow! Spot on!! I've tried others since, but I seem to be very sensitive to herbs. I do better taking them one at a time and in small quantities.
We took a hazy cruise on Lake Champlain tonight. Here's my photo album…
Jo, I am doing a bit better each day, so I am encouraged. We'll see how tomorrow goes, but so far so good. I don't cough or need to blow my nose frequently anymore. But when I do, you really know it. We'll see what makes sense. My energy is returning, though, and that's the best sign.
puddle, with humidity that high, it might as well be raining, eh? It's like swimming in soup. Ours is at 98% presently, so we're kind of in the same soup. ;-)
Hi Listener, I'm glad you are feeling better. I'm convinced that air particulates have something to do with sinus/nasal/throat conditions. I'm also glad you know your own body so well. I think each of us has to know our own bodies, and they are individual indeed.
Jo, thank you for the deep breathing instructions. I've been doing that, and it makes a difference. With deep breaths, I don't feel that glitch in my throat that makes me think I"m not getting enough air. I intend to practice deep breathing every day.
We went for a hike yesterday up Storm Mountain Road. We took a road called Elk Way, and on the return from a loop went west instead of east. We realized our mistake about a mile and a half later, and returned and took the right road. All in all we probably walked 4 or 5 miles. It's been a while since we did that.
I think the air is getting better, but who's to say? Three years ago when Colorado had the High Park fire, the air was polluted all winter. Still, what a gift to feel good, to have energy, to not focus on sinuses and breathing.
Thank you for your photo album, Listener. I'll look at it right now.
I enjoyed your photos, Listener. They remind me of living near Little Bay de Noc in Michigan. The water is a constant presence, the wind, the waves, the scents, the colors, the sense of a vast world. Thank you.
Have the best doc appt ever, Puddle!!! Supposed to be in 90's here For the next 10 days! That rules out my usual strolls up and down Elm St... unless I wait until evening...at low energy time! Love to all.
Whoo hoo! I love it when the results are good! I have been concerned about your lack of energy, puddle, so I'm delighted there may be a simple fix, especially in Summer.
I have until October to whip myself into shape, before my physical. Argh. I need more time on the elliptical, but it's been so hot and humid. I have a love/hate relationship with air conditioners, but breathing is something I definitely love.
listener butterflies are my friend as well - they usually can't hit the veins in my arms so go to the back of my hands. good luck with the A-1C!
listener I thought we had moved lunch to next week - I am still feeling crappy and have a lot of appointments and other things going on this week so it would work a lot better for me. please let me know if Wed the 22nd still works for you. glad that you are feeling better and glad that you were able to get a bit of a rest from all those times chasing Grands, they do wear us out at times, eh?! hope the new homeowners are settling in well!
stay cool Shirlee! it is 80s and 90s here and humid which I don't handle too well. So very grateful that my so Derek and his boy Noah installed my air conditioners for me last Friday!
Pat I am glad that you are feeling better!! isn't it amazing how simple breathing exercises can make such a difference?! I wish I could go for long nature walks without pain, I keep pushing myself but don't get very far. I'm starting PT tomorrow with the guy that helped me after my hip replacement, I hope he can help with the pain so that I can do more.
{{{ ♥ JO! ♥ }}} I am so sad you aren't feeling too good! :-(
Funny that a half hour ago I sent you a PM on FB about switching to next week. I guess we're on the same page!! See what you think about 1:30am Weds the 22nd or anytime on Thursday or Friday. I have your menu choice in my iPhone, so no worries there. :-)
Today was a rough day in which at least 5 areas of my life suddenly turned up overwhelming. But here at the end of the day two large concerns got largely taken care of:
There is a person who sometimes rides with me when I go to NH for meetings. I used to always make the journey alone and the quiet was very grounding for me. When we ride together (to the same meeting) it is sometimes a little nice to have a travel companion, but most of the time I long for the quiet. She has a medical issue that makes it hard (though not impossible) for her to drive, so I usually feel guilty declining to bring her. However, I also meet with my spiritual guide every other month, and I kind of need to be alone afterward to take it in. Also, I used to be able to stop and eat, but she has dietary issues. I am the person who calls the meetings and I sent out the meeting reminder this morning saying I wasn't sure yet whether I was coming. Not ten minutes later she wrote to the group saying she very much needs to come and present to the group this time, but is waiting to hear whether I am going "but no pressure." I had gently written to her last month saying that sometimes I will need to drive alone and she had seemed fine with it. So I was sitting here today actually considering taking a year off from offering guidance so that I wouldn't have this conflict! Instead I responded saying that I am not able to give her a ride this month. Freedom!
I also had to decide to bite the bullet and tell my son and d-i-l that I unable to use the product they bought for refinishing their kitchen cabinets. I offered to paint some trim work in a room or two, and got asked to degloss, prime and paint with a special topcoat all their kitchen cabinets. I read up on the product and the chemicals in the deglosser and topcoat are really bad. Tonight they agreed to go with primer and paint! Yay!! I am hopeful of finding a less noxious deglosser, but if not my son says he will do that part. (It requires mask and goggles and you can't use a fan for extra ventilation.) He shouldn't do it either as he tends to asthma. We'll see. I"m going to go visit the paint guru at the local hardware store. She's amazing!!
Anyway, I'm off to sleep. Tomorrow…miles to go. XOXOXXX
whoee, lots going on! Seems that most are doing better, so sorry for those that are not so much. Feeling overwhelmed myself and strongly considering letting the treasure position go. just do NOT have the time and then feel guilty when I don't get the stuff done.
Other than that, all is pretty much well.
Glad to have you ladies here. will chat more when I can.
Agree Barb, Listener, Jo...just need to let go of things we have always done. Sorry you are not feeling well, Jo...Puddle, happy For your good news, but do take care.
Waiting for massage therapist for neck..and just wish all these auto Immune conditions would calm down...especially the bladder..then I would feel like new--maybe? Good to have this group with so much in common...politics, aging, etc.:)
Anybody else have to prove they are not a robot...AND identify foods before your post will stick? Love to all.
Shirlee, the capcha shows up on my page, but I can just ignore it. The one about finding pics of sushi broke me up. I've looked for ways to get it off the page, and can't find how. Sorry about that.
As awful as the weather has been--heated, muggy--for whatever reasons, it's been a FINE year for Luna Moths. Four so far. I can go years between seeing even one, so astonishing!
I think as long as you're signed into your google account, it can be ignored. I'd like it GONE, but haven't figured out how to do that, lol! Another place jc was priceless: tech how-to.
So I went looking to see if I could get rid of CAPTCHA and it appears that this is part of the Google+ privacy requirements. Not a problem since it isn't active but definitely a pain in the butt. ;-)
Jo, thank you!! Maybe it will protect old threads? I was stunned when I finally discovered the amount of spam on years old threads--thousands of comments!
Pluto was still classified as a planet when the probe left Earth. Now we have the binary dwarf-planet system of Pluto and Charon.
This deserves to be noted:
"'We have completed the initial reconnaissance of the Solar System, an endeavour started under President Kennedy more than 50 years ago and continuing to today under President Obama,' said the mission's chief scientist Alan Stern."
Fifty one years ago (in one minute more) I was made mother.
Evanescence of Pain, Persistence of Joy
Eight months disgorging my guts in public places; three with a numb thigh, and heavy corset in heated weather; 22 and one half hours of labor; thinking I'd likely not do this again
Waffles on this mother's day morning Watching him work, sweating a little muttering under his breath as we carry a wall back into a small room
Remembering the look of wonder: at one, holding a dandelion's white head, and blowing -- the flower's children sent forth to the next greening, growing, flowering
And the one who came after, quick and bright and hot. Rushing into the split between today and forever as if there were not midnight, no dawn Blood and tears, and doing it again and again
Fathers both, now, and I am grown old mourning what I can no longer persuade my body to do; things left undone And the bright nodding heads of their children dreaming not quite yet of their children
All of us ~~ link after link, that moves the gears of time forward. Life seems like this: Stopping in the middle of the poem to make chicken salad. And just now the raucous joyful spring song of a Carolina Wren breaks the peace with joy
Oohhh! Lovely, this should be published, Puddle. It's wonderful: birth, nature, growth, making breakfast, relationships, the carrying on of the generations. Wonderful. Thank you.
If I seem AWOL, it's because I am renovating the kitchen cabinets for our youngest and his bride, so they can move in on August 1st! [She has just entered her 3rd trimester of pregnancy and they have a 2 year old.] They know I am doing the cabinets, but what they don't know is that we plan to paint the walls downstairs too. They bought the house nearly a month ago and planned to have more done by now. They bought the paint and supplies, but some unexpected things came up (an exterior wall had rot and had to be rebuilt...). Now they can’t much be up here until it’s move-in day. So we are going to throw our hearts into it and surprise them. :-) Today I deglossed all the cabinet doors, then went over and deglossed the framework. On Thursday, it’s two coats of primer on the framework, then on Friday two coats of paint. That will give it plenty of time to cure before they come to live. Meanwhile, I will begin priming the cabinets, then paint them, and Bill will install the new hardware, so we can take the doors over and hang them as they are completed.
Talked with the kiddle tonight--he said his birthdays always made him want to call his parents (I used to do this, too, lol!) He said when he read the poem, first stanza, he thought--gee, haven't I paid her back by now?--and finishing felt it was satisfactorily resolved.
Got my thyroid meds. Also got my blood work--Fasting blood sugars are down from 168 to 121. A1c down from 6.8 to 6.5. Totally through low carb dieting/supplements. No prescription meds, so far. No needles in my near future!!!
Congratulation on your good tests, Puddle. ONE of the joys of growing older! Your Kiddle is a Keeper!!! Recouping here from trip to Winston-Salem to Surgeon. Easy to system to deal with Wake Baptist Med Center, best and kindest of surgeons. So can not figure out why both Brenda I get wiped out. Was glad to have him stretch check up times from every three to every four months! I think it must be the half hour to forty five minutes freeway drive. Old timer here-- I have NEVER been fond of the interstate freeways from the time they began building them! I regret the damage done to nature and civilization. Love you all...
That is wonderful puddle! Good job! I am doing better, this new doc is great but still taking meds and some insulin - fasting bs down to 71 - 95 with the meds and getting better all of the time, hope to drop the insulin dose soon.
Shirlee glad that you are being well cared for! I hate interstate highways too, I always take the 'back way' unless it's a real long haul.
Such a lovely poem, Puddle. on and off. my computer at home was hit by the crystalwall virus and the lousy hackers want $500 to fix it. Unfortunately for them, my computer guys can fix it. unfortunately for ME, it won't be done for a day or two :( not easy to get on here at work.
Jo: Excellent!!! I am delighted to have gotten this far without meds, but I certainly wouldn't be adverse to the pills. Needles, though: WHOLE DIFFERENT BALL PARK. Both my new caregivers were startled that I'd never needle pricked. . . they're both diabetic. My bloodwork was excellent enough that the Nurse Practitioner reversed herself on "needing" carbs, lol!
Checking my bloodwork, my chloride is way down. The nets tell me possible cause is anxiety. (hyperventilating) You think the threat of withholding meds until blood work is done might cause anxiety? May be that I'm not going to need the inhalers. Will see.
Took my thyroid almost as soon as I woke, but no diuretics and am seeing NO evidence of foot/ankle swelling today. Very good sign.
That is great puddle! Just so ya know, I hated the thought of needles, I have enough trouble when they draw my blood but the needles aren't bad. the insulin comes in a pen and you just dial a dose. needles are very thin and pretty much painless.
sticking my fingers to test twice a day hurts more than the insulin shots. my grandmother who lived with us when I was growing up had type 1, had to get shots and if they weren't calculated right her bs would drop like a rocket, very scary. I have to take mine at bedtime and at first I was very scared about it dropping too low while I was sleeping and just maybe not ever waking up! not so scared of that now but I do test as soon as I wake up. ;-)
Barb that is a pain about your computer!! Glad to hear that you are thinking of giving up the accounts for the group, I know that has been a real headache for you!
Bernie is going to be in Phoenix and they have had to (once again) get a larger venue for the crowd! sounds like that might happen in Dallas too - if he's doing that in red states things are really moving fast!
More people have contributed to our campaign than to any other candidate running for president, Democrat or Republican.
That is truly remarkable, and I am humbled by this support. But I will be frank: it may not matter in the end unless we get organized now.
On the evening of July 29, we will kick off building the organization that will take back our country from the billionaire class — and I’m going to speak directly by video to this unprecedented gathering.
People will gather at more than 1,000 homes, restaurants, and other locations across the country for our first ever national organizing meeting, including this event close to you:
I've enjoyed the conversations vicariously. I'm glad, Puddle, that your tests have shown improvement and good health, glad Shirlee, that your surgeon is amenable to your needs, and I understand the feelings about the Interstate Highway. Me too. And Jo, glad you are coping with the testing morning and night. I think as we get older we are more aware of our bodies than ever before, how intricate, complicated, and vulnerable they are. Greater appreciation and patience are probably two virtues that come out of this.
Barb, sorry for your computer problems, and yes, sometimes we need for ourselves to set a limit on what we will do for an organization.
Listerner, what great parents you are to give all that energy and skill to your son and his wife's new home. That's wonderful. And yes, even here in the Storm Mountain area, a sign for Bernie already. Of all the candidates, he's the only one who doesn't have a super pac. I hope people will notice that.
Meanwhile another day here, sun then some rain showers. The meadows are dancing with golden asters, Indian Blankets (yellow/orange petals with a red center) and Mariposa lilies. It's gorgous. Have a good day, friends.
So good to hear from you all. We seem to be hanging in there. One thing I have had to learn is NEEDLES. My RA med Humira is now a weekly dose. It just goes under the skin.for a few years I was doing B-12 injections which need to go straight into the muscle. The Humira is one of the newer ones created from live cells. Caremark through the ACA must now offer that at a steeply discounted price. I pay $5.00 for four doses...which would otherwise cost $1600. !!!!
Oh, I've had needles, lol! For a while during my forties, ultra sound, blood draw, return for fertility drug injection in the afternoon, three out of every four weeks. At one point so large a dose it had to be divided, so two shots to da bum. It was actually then that I became aware that I was allergic to adhesive tape. . . .
Plus I'm a five gallon blood donor. With hiding veins. One time after they'd given up an sent for the supervisor, she suggested I just go home, I said, Hell no. You can't stick me a dozen times and send me home. I'D DONATING, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! They found one, and I gave.
My fave needle story was post op, at a teaching hospital, and they sent in the med students (who need practice, right?) Hi, I'm John, a first year medical student, and. . . Fail. Hi, I'm Judy, a second year medical student, and. . . Hi, I'm Jake, a third year medical student. . . . And then they sent for the blood tech, a small Hispanic lady, who started looking, and swearing under her breath: They KNOW they're no supposed to do that, they're supposed to leave me ONE vein!!!! She ended up getting the blood, one drop at a time from pricking the end of every finger. An hour later, another lab worker came back, they'd lost my blood and needed to do it again. I started to sob, and my roommate started hollering at him: Do you *know* what you've DONE to this lady???? They skipped the blood draw for the day.
And agree with Jo--the finger sticks are infinitely more painful than injections or draws. I used to watch Rick manage his *very unstable* blood sugars. He tested ten or twelve times a day, and injected almost that much. All of his fingertips had a polka dot look to them. But he was like my mom--he used the medicine to counteract what he ate, rather than using what he ate to control the blood sugars.
Speaking of which, I think I've nearly perfected my choc chip volcano cookies!! Secret is to keep the chocolate chunks (made from coconut oil, raw cacao and Splenda) in the freezer until the very last minute. And start with a preheated oven. That way, the dough gets partially cooked just as the chips are turning liquid, and makes little pockets, so most of the chocolate stays IN the cookies, rather than melts onto the cookie sheet. Helps, too, if the dough is just a little stiff so it holds the pockets better.
oh puddle I knew that you have had your share of needles - but I'm sure I don't know nearly how much! I mentioned them because I wasn't sure if you had ever tried the very fine needles that they use on the pens.
I knew you were being loving! Only pen needle I've ever had was the epi-pen, which thankfully, I never had to use. Finally, being needle phobic, I think I've almost enjoyed telling the stories better than living through them, lol! My mom discovered when I was about ten that I did better if she wasn't there: had to be a BIG girl. . . .
I'd always kind carried a subliminal guilt--if I weighed less, they could find the vein easier. With Achalasia however, that was put to rest--I was so thin they were calling me fragile. And they *still* couldn't find the veins!
66 comments:
Dean and Moby are First!
Moby's descendent spotted down under:
http://www.weather.com/series/crazimals/video/extremely-rare-white-humpback-whale-spotted-in-new-zealand
The funny thing is that I was coming here to post about the whale when I saw the new thread!!!!! Awesome.
Hi Listener,
I wish I had a solution for you. For the past month, I have had it as well, have been gasping for days. Yesterday we went to the Farmers' Market in Estes Park, and the first booth had organic solutions for almost everything from age spots to aches, to sinus and chest congestion. I bought Breathe Easy Oil from Taspens.com, an organic and holistic wellness family company from Conifer, Colorado. It's a concoction of eucalyptus oil, sunflower oil, ravensara oil, and peppermint oil. I don't know yet if it makes much of a difference, though this morning, I'm breathing easier.
I've tried all the remedies I know: cough syrup that's supposed to reduce mucous in throat, nose, and bronchial tubes, pills, saline sprays, Neti pots. I just don't know, Listener. I'm about at the end of my patience. Oh, at night, I use Vick's vaporub for nose and chest and a heating pad. My thoughts are, you and I are sensitive as to what's in the air. Here we're getting particulates from the wildfires in Canada. Maybe you are too. That means, our systems overproduce mucous, which blocks easy breathing.
I'll let you know if there's relief from Breathe Easy Oil. Their website is www.Taspens.com. Their phone is Lisa and & Andrew 303-505-0026.
Keep on trying and let me know what works. I really really am discomfited by this.
Other than that, we're supposed to get some sun for three days, but I don't know. It rained this morning.
so sorry that you ladies aren't feeling well. Pat the Vaporub on your chest is great - I would also put it on your neck from the base of your ears forward to cover your throat - but I wouldn't put it in your nose. it is too harsh and I know people who have made their conditions worse because their nose is constantly irritated by it. try just breathing it in from the open jar, much gentler and has the same effect. also you might want to consider buying some of those paper face masks to wear at night and times when the smoke seems worse. and lastly I would drink lots of water and peppermint tea - the tea not only helps with congestion it actually helps with pain. love you, hope you feel better soon!
Thank you, Jo. Good advice, and I'll follow it. I tried peppermint tea last night because of the organic oils I bought, and yes, it helps. Today I took a Zyrtec, a recommendation from a teacher friend. I've been afraid to try anything too strong, but we'll see. I'm at the point that I just want it to go away. Gasping, I'm useless for anything that involves physical exertion such as cleaning or even concentrating on reading. I do take Molly for a 20 to 30 minute walk every day, and somehow I feel better after that.
I'll let you know, Jo and Listener, how things go. Thank you for your caring and commiseration.
And now, sunshine. An aspen I thought was dead has come back to life with all the rain, and mariposa lilies are everywhere. They are white petaled, about three large petals with yellow pollen and stamens. Just so beautiful.
Pat this may sound contrary and might not be much fun when you are doing it, but if you have a period when you aren't feeling so bad try some breathing exercises. take a 'fairly' deep breath - don't try too hard - and hold it for a few seconds then release it as slowly as you can. keep doing this for maybe 5 to 10 times, trying to take a bit deeper breath each time and trying to release it more slowly if you can. you may cough some while doing this (that's good, it's your lungs trying to clear themselves and open up!) but I have found if I do this a few times a day it begins to get air deeper into my lungs and after a bit my breathing gets easier and the gasping goes away.
Jo..sometime in my life I have done this breathing exercise.
Would it also be a relaxation technique? Have tried several
things to de-stress. You are a fount of health care wisdom!
Thank you..and again for setting up this wonderful site!
Oh, my---just in time for the bookies in Greensboro
who are celebrating The Year of Melville at the bookstore!
Weekly readings, discussions, tapes on the floor indicating
the length of two types of whale. It is a long , narrow building
from street to alley. It is a dedicated group so I assume they
are correct.
This is really worthwhile to pass along to any woman of childbearing age, or anyone who knows someone who is. http://www.wired.com/2014/04/missing-microbes-antibiotic-resistance-birth/
Thanks, Jo. I will do this. When we returned from Inner Mongolia, Peoples Republic of China, I had asthma. The soft coal smoke in the air was probably what caused it. I spent several years here doing yoga, deep breathing, and finally, I was free of it. I'll do the deep breathing again. So far today has been one of my best days in weeks. To be able to breathe freely is a wonderful gift. I won't take it for granted again.
Beautiful sunny, warm day here. Everything is blooming.
Pat! I'm so sad you're still dealing with this! ♥
Yes, we have the smoke too, though so far we can't smell it. We've had that scenario before and if it happens that will be the day I finally go out and buy an air conditioner.
I'm eager to hear how the oil concoction works for you Pat. How is it administered?
Unaccountably, my sinuses suddenly shifted overnight from constantly blowing my nose to not really needing to much…! My throat felt awful when I woke up, but no fever. It's been okay most of the day, but now it hurts again. A couple times I have coughed up a small dollop of yellow crud. At least it's not green like last time.
Jo, I promise not to get together if I might be contagious on Weds. We could always wait one week. No one needs this stuff!
Hi listener,
The oil concoction is in a small bottle, about two inches tall, a half inch in diameter. It has a revolving ball at the top. You just either use your fingers or roll it on your throat, chest, under your nose, above your nose. So far, it makes a difference. I've used it about five times today, and my breathing is free-er. I'll let you know tomorrow if I think it is worth having.
While we're not seeing smoke here, our radio and tv stations have issued an advisory because of the particulates in the air.
Maybe some cough syrup for your throat? Take care.
Thanks, Pat. It sounds promising. Fingers, toes and heart crossed!
I have Robitussin DM extra strength, both the day kind and the night kind! Today I have had a LOT less congestion so am coughing less. That's good because my throat does NOT like me coughing.
We can see a definite haze here, all the mountains are faded out, and the sky is not the right colour. Here's where to see the air quality for your area. (ANY area…just type your zip code.
http://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_state&stateid=6&mapcenter=0&tabs=0
My zip is 05465. As you can see it's been rough here. It's supposed to be better tomorrow, though!
Ah, here's the link to see the whole country at once, as regards air quality. Yikes!
http://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.mapcenter&mapcenter=1
Thanks for the links, Listener. I checked them. When we came to Colorado in 1971, we noticed the air over the reservoir in Nederland. It became darker every year, the smog coming up from Boulder. I think it's true to say that the air has deteriorated over the country.
I'm having some peppermint tea right now, and it's soothing. Jo suggested it, and I tried it last night because of the peppermint oil in the solution I purchased. Also, I heat up the water and breathe in the steam as it boils. I take the steam into my throat. It seems to help.
I have a sense that if we've been affected by bad air, the sensitivity remains. But, there is a solution, I'm convinced. It's just finding it.
Well off to drink my tea and soon bed.
Good Morning,
I feel much better this morning, no gasping. Either Zyrtec and the oil from Taspen's works or I'm getting rid of this on my own. Anyway, good night sleep, no gasping. I think what started this was thicker, more profuse pine pollen than I've ever seen before. It was everywhere, still is on our deck and porch.
So off to Daz Bog for a poetry reading. I've been unable to write anything for months, so I'm taking something old. Here it is if you are interested.
Meadow Walk
In the morning early
I go meadow walking
gazing at grasses and wildflowers
talking to myself.
I say things like thank you
to no one I can see but
merely feel the beauty
of an amazing variety
because of sun and for
just this summer enough rain.
Can anything ever be enough
I wonder. We are such a vain
species with unlimited appetites
for more, more, more of
everything: land, money, love
power, things, status, food,
beauty, fame, pleasure.
This meadow I call mine is
merely lent to me to walk in
for a while. Actually,
it owns me as I roam and talk
wondering, stopping here and there,
paying attention to, pulling up
the thin, seed-full cheat grass.
What is it the meadow teaches?
The Flax sways in morning sun
hundreds of blue eyes eyeing me
from the ground beneath my feet.
Purple Larkspur gather in groups
as if meeting for morning coffee.
Blue Penstemon declare a whole
slope their territory, while Loco
weed, though poisonous to horses,
basks in its fuchsia glow. Pink Primroses,
wild Geraniums, white Mouse Ear
chickweed, rare Wild Iris and tall
single yellow flower Salsify mingle
among the random grasses.
Birds chirp and trill continuously
it seems in summer celebration.
The aspens I've planted, I admit,
now that they may not make it.
I realize the meadow will know.
I no longer believe I can force
anything to grow. How was it
that I came to think I could?
I cannot change anyone, least
of all a meadow. Rejoice
in what you feel, in being,
I think the meadow sings
as grasses hum in a morning
wind that just now came up.
What part do I play
in this meadow world as I
walk and stop and look,
talking to myself?
Pat, that is lovely!! Glad you're beginning to feel better!
Coolish this morning, hope it stays that way!
Some bird on my front porch is kicking up a fuss (Beau woke and ambled over to the door). I 'spect a Carolina Wren, just cause they're so talky. And I know it's not a Phoebe (who can mistake Phoebe talk?).
Ahhhhh, Pat. Thank you for the meadow walk. Your part was apparently to notice, appreciate and share the meadow, which may be why the meadow called to you and revealed some of its beauty to you. Our yard is such wonderfully imperfect grass that it grows Indian Paintbrush and Clover and more. It looks so much like a meadow between mowings that we always let it grow as long as we dare… having to balance beauty with safety what with the ticks everywhere.
I am delighted to hear that you are on the mend!! I can imagine using the oil, but for some reason peppermint tea gives me wicked indigestion. But I too am improving. I can breathe okay and don't need pain meds. But when I blow my nose or cough I'm surprised at what I can produce. Still, a little better each day.
Not this coming week, but the following, I plan to get back over to Bernie HQ to help out. I've been busy with Grands and in the coming week I'll be priming and painting Youngest's kitchen cabinets in the new house. I sure hope these 80's cool down a bit!
Thank you Listener, and Puddle for commenting on "Meadow Walk". The group at Daz Bog, 8 of us, was helpful and affirming. There were some good suggestions I will work with. I have been reading poetry in the American Poetry Review and the New Yorker. I read a poem, then read it again, and then again and say HUH?! We discussed the obscurity, the inaccessibility, the lack of music, theme, image in so much poetry. It feels so academic, so unwilling to invite the reader in.
Our session was the opposite: kind, helpful, humble, cooperative. I guess I don't care if my poetry is published. The joy is in the doing, and if someone is moved by it, appreciates it, or makes suggestions, that's the reward. Creativity is life and a motive for life, I think.
I'm glad you are feeling better too, Listener. A woman who works at our post office said that the air from Canada has been a big factor for allergies, plus there's an allergy called Pine Pollen Allergy. She said her eyes are affected by it, stinging, reddening, itching.
Traditional Medicinals Tea has a Breathe Easy Tea with eucalyptus, magnolia blossoms, licorice root, fennel fruit and Bi Yan Pian and extract made from Magnolia flower, Siler root, Forsythia fruit, and others. At the Farmers' Market, there was a booth with herbal teas, but I didn't stop. Next time I will.
Also, there's a plant known as Wooly Mullein or Miner's Candle. It's a tall stalk, the top covered by small yellow flowers, and the leaves as big as your hand, soft as velvet. We have lots of them here. They are considered an invasive species, but I like them. Meadow larks perch on them. Also, crushed and boiled, they are good for lungs, bronchial tubes. In a mixture of mint and sage, boiled, they can help with allergies, lung, throat, nasal, and bronchial.
I have hope that we can catch these infections and treat them.
Well, take care. It's good to be here with you.
yes, lovely poem Pat. I wish I had your way with words!
if you decide to use the mullein be prepared, I have had tea blends with it before and it is a strong expectorant, it made me cough really hard but cleared my lungs quite effectively. I was given the tea by a friend so I am not sure how strong it was but it scared me when I first started coughing, it took my breath away for a bit. if you read up on it the plant and flowers are used for a wide variety of healing!
Good Morning,
Thanks Jo, for the caution on mullein. In a newspaper article in the Mountain-Ear from Nederland, a herbalist writes that it's important to learn how to work with herbs and it's necessary to get advice from an expert.
A nice day here, some clouds, but cool and sunny.
Can it really be almost mid July already? Wow, time seems to race by.
Hope your day is good.
Humidity 99% and it's not raining.
My difficulty is that herbal compounds usually make me break out in a stomach rash! The first time it ever happened was when a friend gave me some of a wonderful herbal compound she used regularly, which she bought from Canada. The next week, I was at the doctor with a rash and, despite my never having used herbs like that before, and despite him being my doctor for about 20 years, he asked, "Have you been using any herbal compounds lately?" Wow! Spot on!! I've tried others since, but I seem to be very sensitive to herbs. I do better taking them one at a time and in small quantities.
We took a hazy cruise on Lake Champlain tonight. Here's my photo album…
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153765664146754.1073742089.637766753&type=1&l=c4135f0791
Jo, I am doing a bit better each day, so I am encouraged. We'll see how tomorrow goes, but so far so good. I don't cough or need to blow my nose frequently anymore. But when I do, you really know it. We'll see what makes sense. My energy is returning, though, and that's the best sign.
puddle, with humidity that high, it might as well be raining, eh? It's like swimming in soup. Ours is at 98% presently, so we're kind of in the same soup. ;-)
Hi Listener, I'm glad you are feeling better. I'm convinced that air particulates have something to do with sinus/nasal/throat conditions. I'm also glad you know your own body so well. I think each of us has to know our own bodies, and they are individual indeed.
Jo, thank you for the deep breathing instructions. I've been doing that, and it makes a difference. With deep breaths, I don't feel that glitch in my throat that makes me think I"m not getting enough air. I intend to practice deep breathing every day.
We went for a hike yesterday up Storm Mountain Road. We took a road called Elk Way, and on the return from a loop went west instead of east. We realized our mistake about a mile and a half later, and returned and took the right road. All in all we probably walked 4 or 5 miles. It's been a while since we did that.
I think the air is getting better, but who's to say? Three years ago when Colorado had the High Park fire, the air was polluted all winter. Still, what a gift to feel good, to have energy, to not focus on sinuses and breathing.
Thank you for your photo album, Listener. I'll look at it right now.
I enjoyed your photos, Listener. They remind me of living near Little Bay de Noc in Michigan. The water is a constant presence, the wind, the waves, the scents, the colors, the sense of a vast world. Thank you.
Chilly this morning--not yet 70º and not predicted to make it to 80º! Yay!!
Doc apt. for blood work in a bit. Keeping fingers crossed for a good A1c. . . .
Will think of you today, Puddle. Hope all goes well. Fingers crossed here.
Have the best doc appt ever, Puddle!!! Supposed to be in 90's here
For the next 10 days! That rules out my usual strolls up and down Elm
St... unless I wait until evening...at low energy time! Love to all.
The good news is, I've lost 7 pounds since September! No problem with the blood draw: she used a butterfly. (Blessed butterflies!)
O2 down, so she's getting me some inhalers. Which should help with the energy thing.
Now just waiting for the results of the bloodwork.
Whoo hoo! I love it when the results are good! I have been concerned about your lack of energy, puddle, so I'm delighted there may be a simple fix, especially in Summer.
I have until October to whip myself into shape, before my physical. Argh. I need more time on the elliptical, but it's been so hot and humid. I have a love/hate relationship with air conditioners, but breathing is something I definitely love.
listener butterflies are my friend as well - they usually can't hit the veins in my arms so go to the back of my hands. good luck with the A-1C!
listener I thought we had moved lunch to next week - I am still feeling crappy and have a lot of appointments and other things going on this week so it would work a lot better for me. please let me know if Wed the 22nd still works for you. glad that you are feeling better and glad that you were able to get a bit of a rest from all those times chasing Grands, they do wear us out at times, eh?! hope the new homeowners are settling in well!
stay cool Shirlee! it is 80s and 90s here and humid which I don't handle too well. So very grateful that my so Derek and his boy Noah installed my air conditioners for me last Friday!
Pat I am glad that you are feeling better!! isn't it amazing how simple breathing exercises can make such a difference?! I wish I could go for long nature walks without pain, I keep pushing myself but don't get very far. I'm starting PT tomorrow with the guy that helped me after my hip replacement, I hope he can help with the pain so that I can do more.
{{{ ♥ JO! ♥ }}} I am so sad you aren't feeling too good! :-(
Funny that a half hour ago I sent you a PM on FB about switching to next week. I guess we're on the same page!! See what you think about 1:30am Weds the 22nd or anytime on Thursday or Friday. I have your menu choice in my iPhone, so no worries there. :-)
Today was a rough day in which at least 5 areas of my life suddenly turned up overwhelming. But here at the end of the day two large concerns got largely taken care of:
There is a person who sometimes rides with me when I go to NH for meetings. I used to always make the journey alone and the quiet was very grounding for me. When we ride together (to the same meeting) it is sometimes a little nice to have a travel companion, but most of the time I long for the quiet. She has a medical issue that makes it hard (though not impossible) for her to drive, so I usually feel guilty declining to bring her. However, I also meet with my spiritual guide every other month, and I kind of need to be alone afterward to take it in. Also, I used to be able to stop and eat, but she has dietary issues. I am the person who calls the meetings and I sent out the meeting reminder this morning saying I wasn't sure yet whether I was coming. Not ten minutes later she wrote to the group saying she very much needs to come and present to the group this time, but is waiting to hear whether I am going "but no pressure." I had gently written to her last month saying that sometimes I will need to drive alone and she had seemed fine with it. So I was sitting here today actually considering taking a year off from offering guidance so that I wouldn't have this conflict! Instead I responded saying that I am not able to give her a ride this month. Freedom!
I also had to decide to bite the bullet and tell my son and d-i-l that I unable to use the product they bought for refinishing their kitchen cabinets. I offered to paint some trim work in a room or two, and got asked to degloss, prime and paint with a special topcoat all their kitchen cabinets. I read up on the product and the chemicals in the deglosser and topcoat are really bad. Tonight they agreed to go with primer and paint! Yay!! I am hopeful of finding a less noxious deglosser, but if not my son says he will do that part. (It requires mask and goggles and you can't use a fan for extra ventilation.) He shouldn't do it either as he tends to asthma. We'll see. I"m going to go visit the paint guru at the local hardware store. She's amazing!!
Anyway, I'm off to sleep. Tomorrow…miles to go. XOXOXXX
Extra fine sandpaper makes a pretty good deglosser. . . .
whoee, lots going on! Seems that most are doing better, so sorry for those that are not so much. Feeling overwhelmed myself and strongly considering letting the treasure position go. just do NOT have the time and then feel guilty when I don't get the stuff done.
Other than that, all is pretty much well.
Glad to have you ladies here. will chat more when I can.
XOXO
Agree Barb, Listener, Jo...just need to let go of things we have
always done. Sorry you are not feeling well, Jo...Puddle, happy
For your good news, but do take care.
Waiting for massage therapist for neck..and just wish all these auto
Immune conditions would calm down...especially the bladder..then
I would feel like new--maybe? Good to have this group with so
much in common...politics, aging, etc.:)
Anybody else have to prove they are not a robot...AND identify foods
before your post will stick? Love to all.
Shirlee, the capcha shows up on my page, but I can just ignore it. The one about finding pics of sushi broke me up. I've looked for ways to get it off the page, and can't find how. Sorry about that.
As awful as the weather has been--heated, muggy--for whatever reasons, it's been a FINE year for Luna Moths. Four so far. I can go years between seeing even one, so astonishing!
Let me see if I can just ignore! Thanks Puddle.
Well, that is that-- seems to have worked! Love you....
I think as long as you're signed into your google account, it can be ignored. I'd like it GONE, but haven't figured out how to do that, lol! Another place jc was priceless: tech how-to.
So I went looking to see if I could get rid of CAPTCHA and it appears that this is part of the Google+ privacy requirements. Not a problem since it isn't active but definitely a pain in the butt. ;-)
Jo, thank you!! Maybe it will protect old threads? I was stunned when I finally discovered the amount of spam on years old threads--thousands of comments!
Pluto Mission a SUCCESS!!!
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/14/us/nasa-new-horizons-pluto-flyby/index.html
Pluto was still classified as a planet when the probe left Earth. Now we have the binary dwarf-planet system of Pluto and Charon.
This deserves to be noted:
"'We have completed the initial reconnaissance of the Solar System, an endeavour started under President Kennedy more than 50 years ago and continuing to today under President Obama,' said the mission's chief scientist Alan Stern."
Awesome!! And to think, I saw both ends of this!
Fifty one years ago (in one minute more) I was made mother.
Evanescence of Pain, Persistence of Joy
Eight months disgorging my guts
in public places;
three with a numb thigh, and heavy
corset in heated weather;
22 and one half hours of labor;
thinking I'd likely not do this again
Waffles on this mother's day morning
Watching him work, sweating a little
muttering under his breath as we
carry a wall back into a small room
Remembering the look of wonder: at one, holding
a dandelion's white head, and blowing --
the flower's children sent forth to the
next greening, growing, flowering
And the one who came after, quick and bright
and hot. Rushing into the split between today
and forever as if there were not midnight, no dawn
Blood and tears, and doing it again and again
Fathers both, now, and I am grown old
mourning what I can no longer persuade
my body to do; things left undone
And the bright nodding heads of their children
dreaming not quite yet of their children
All of us ~~ link after link, that moves the gears
of time forward. Life seems like this: Stopping in
the middle of the poem to make chicken salad.
And just now the raucous joyful
spring song of a Carolina Wren breaks the peace
with joy
jjl
8 May 2011
Oohhh! Lovely, this should be published, Puddle. It's wonderful: birth, nature, growth, making breakfast, relationships, the carrying on of the generations. Wonderful. Thank you.
Yes, yes...wonderful...and SO just right!
If I seem AWOL, it's because I am renovating the kitchen cabinets for our youngest and his bride, so they can move in on August 1st! [She has just entered her 3rd trimester of pregnancy and they have a 2 year old.] They know I am doing the cabinets, but what they don't know is that we plan to paint the walls downstairs too. They bought the house nearly a month ago and planned to have more done by now. They bought the paint and supplies, but some unexpected things came up (an exterior wall had rot and had to be rebuilt...). Now they can’t much be up here until it’s move-in day. So we are going to throw our hearts into it and surprise them. :-) Today I deglossed all the cabinet doors, then went over and deglossed the framework. On Thursday, it’s two coats of primer on the framework, then on Friday two coats of paint. That will give it plenty of time to cure before they come to live. Meanwhile, I will begin priming the cabinets, then paint them, and Bill will install the new hardware, so we can take the doors over and hang them as they are completed.
Talked with the kiddle tonight--he said his birthdays always made him want to call his parents (I used to do this, too, lol!) He said when he read the poem, first stanza, he thought--gee, haven't I paid her back by now?--and finishing felt it was satisfactorily resolved.
Thanks for the positive words everyone!!
Got my thyroid meds. Also got my blood work--Fasting blood sugars are down from 168 to 121. A1c down from 6.8 to 6.5. Totally through low carb dieting/supplements. No prescription meds, so far. No needles in my near future!!!
Upshot: Happy Camper here!
Congratulation on your good tests, Puddle. ONE of the joys of growing
older! Your Kiddle is a Keeper!!! Recouping here from trip to Winston-Salem to
Surgeon. Easy to system to deal with Wake Baptist Med Center, best and kindest
of surgeons. So can not figure out why both Brenda I get wiped out. Was glad to have
him stretch check up times from every three to every four months! I think it must be
the half hour to forty five minutes freeway drive. Old timer here-- I have NEVER been
fond of the interstate freeways from the time they began building them! I regret
the damage done to nature and civilization. Love you all...
That is wonderful puddle! Good job! I am doing better, this new doc is great but still taking meds and some insulin - fasting bs down to 71 - 95 with the meds and getting better all of the time, hope to drop the insulin dose soon.
Shirlee glad that you are being well cared for! I hate interstate highways too, I always take the 'back way' unless it's a real long haul.
xoxoxo to all!
Such a lovely poem, Puddle. on and off. my computer at home was hit by the crystalwall virus and the lousy hackers want $500 to fix it. Unfortunately for them, my computer guys can fix it. unfortunately for ME, it won't be done for a day or two :( not easy to get on here at work.
much love to all!
Jo: Excellent!!! I am delighted to have gotten this far without meds, but I certainly wouldn't be adverse to the pills. Needles, though: WHOLE DIFFERENT BALL PARK. Both my new caregivers were startled that I'd never needle pricked. . . they're both diabetic. My bloodwork was excellent enough that the Nurse Practitioner reversed herself on "needing" carbs, lol!
Checking my bloodwork, my chloride is way down. The nets tell me possible cause is anxiety. (hyperventilating) You think the threat of withholding meds until blood work is done might cause anxiety? May be that I'm not going to need the inhalers. Will see.
Took my thyroid almost as soon as I woke, but no diuretics and am seeing NO evidence of foot/ankle swelling today. Very good sign.
That is great puddle! Just so ya know, I hated the thought of needles, I have enough trouble when they draw my blood but the needles aren't bad. the insulin comes in a pen and you just dial a dose. needles are very thin and pretty much painless.
sticking my fingers to test twice a day hurts more than the insulin shots. my grandmother who lived with us when I was growing up had type 1, had to get shots and if they weren't calculated right her bs would drop like a rocket, very scary. I have to take mine at bedtime and at first I was very scared about it dropping too low while I was sleeping and just maybe not ever waking up! not so scared of that now but I do test as soon as I wake up. ;-)
Barb that is a pain about your computer!! Glad to hear that you are thinking of giving up the accounts for the group, I know that has been a real headache for you!
Bernie is going to be in Phoenix and they have had to (once again) get a larger venue for the crowd! sounds like that might happen in Dallas too - if he's doing that in red states things are really moving fast!
Bernie wrote today:
I have some exciting news,
More people have contributed to our campaign than to any other candidate running for president, Democrat or Republican.
That is truly remarkable, and I am humbled by this support. But I will be frank: it may not matter in the end unless we get organized now.
On the evening of July 29, we will kick off building the organization that will take back our country from the billionaire class — and I’m going to speak directly by video to this unprecedented gathering.
People will gather at more than 1,000 homes, restaurants, and other locations across the country for our first ever national organizing meeting, including this event close to you:
https://go.berniesanders.com/page/event/search_simple
Good Morning,
I've enjoyed the conversations vicariously. I'm glad, Puddle, that your tests have shown improvement and good health, glad Shirlee, that your surgeon is amenable to your needs, and I understand the feelings about the Interstate Highway. Me too. And Jo, glad you are coping with the testing morning and night. I think as we get older we are more aware of our bodies than ever before, how intricate, complicated, and vulnerable they are. Greater appreciation and patience are probably two virtues that come out of this.
Barb, sorry for your computer problems, and yes, sometimes we need for ourselves to set a limit on what we will do for an organization.
Listerner, what great parents you are to give all that energy and skill to your son and his wife's new home. That's wonderful. And yes, even here in the Storm Mountain area, a sign for Bernie already. Of all the candidates, he's the only one who doesn't have a super pac. I hope people will notice that.
Meanwhile another day here, sun then some rain showers. The meadows are dancing with golden asters, Indian Blankets (yellow/orange petals with a red center) and Mariposa lilies. It's gorgous. Have a good day, friends.
So good to hear from you all. We seem to be hanging in there.
One thing I have had to learn is NEEDLES. My RA med Humira
is now a weekly dose. It just goes under the skin.for a few years I
was doing B-12 injections which need to go straight into the muscle.
The Humira is one of the newer ones created from live cells. Caremark
through the ACA must now offer that at a steeply discounted price.
I pay $5.00 for four doses...which would otherwise cost $1600. !!!!
THANK YOU, President Obama!!!!!!!
Oh, I've had needles, lol! For a while during my forties, ultra sound, blood draw, return for fertility drug injection in the afternoon, three out of every four weeks. At one point so large a dose it had to be divided, so two shots to da bum. It was actually then that I became aware that I was allergic to adhesive tape. . . .
Plus I'm a five gallon blood donor. With hiding veins. One time after they'd given up an sent for the supervisor, she suggested I just go home, I said, Hell no. You can't stick me a dozen times and send me home. I'D DONATING, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! They found one, and I gave.
My fave needle story was post op, at a teaching hospital, and they sent in the med students (who need practice, right?) Hi, I'm John, a first year medical student, and. . . Fail. Hi, I'm Judy, a second year medical student, and. . . Hi, I'm Jake, a third year medical student. . . . And then they sent for the blood tech, a small Hispanic lady, who started looking, and swearing under her breath: They KNOW they're no supposed to do that, they're supposed to leave me ONE vein!!!! She ended up getting the blood, one drop at a time from pricking the end of every finger. An hour later, another lab worker came back, they'd lost my blood and needed to do it again. I started to sob, and my roommate started hollering at him: Do you *know* what you've DONE to this lady???? They skipped the blood draw for the day.
And agree with Jo--the finger sticks are infinitely more painful than injections or draws. I used to watch Rick manage his *very unstable* blood sugars. He tested ten or twelve times a day, and injected almost that much. All of his fingertips had a polka dot look to them. But he was like my mom--he used the medicine to counteract what he ate, rather than using what he ate to control the blood sugars.
Speaking of which, I think I've nearly perfected my choc chip volcano cookies!! Secret is to keep the chocolate chunks (made from coconut oil, raw cacao and Splenda) in the freezer until the very last minute. And start with a preheated oven. That way, the dough gets partially cooked just as the chips are turning liquid, and makes little pockets, so most of the chocolate stays IN the cookies, rather than melts onto the cookie sheet. Helps, too, if the dough is just a little stiff so it holds the pockets better.
oh puddle I knew that you have had your share of needles - but I'm sure I don't know nearly how much! I mentioned them because I wasn't sure if you had ever tried the very fine needles that they use on the pens.
THAT is a lot of needle work Puddle!
I knew you were being loving! Only pen needle I've ever had was the epi-pen, which thankfully, I never had to use. Finally, being needle phobic, I think I've almost enjoyed telling the stories better than living through them, lol! My mom discovered when I was about ten that I did better if she wasn't there: had to be a BIG girl. . . .
I'd always kind carried a subliminal guilt--if I weighed less, they could find the vein easier. With Achalasia however, that was put to rest--I was so thin they were calling me fragile. And they *still* couldn't find the veins!
AND. . . . new thread (which Shirlee found on her own!)
Post a Comment