Sunday, August 2, 2015

Because I've been thinking about lions this week. . . .

Ana Julia Torres and Jupiter.

66 comments:

listener said...

DEAN IS FIRST!

listener said...

Gosh, I do not believe I could have been as brave as that woman. Of course, there is a fine line between bravery and folly! Ha!

listener said...

I hope all are well. We have been so thinly stretched and wiped out this week, due to the needs of several adult sons dovetailing. I cleared out a closet tonight, for one son who is back with us temporarily, and tomorrow need to deal with all it's former contents! But I also get to wash the cloth for the new-baby quilt, and get started on it at last, now that the cabinet painting is accomplished! We undercounted so came up short four hinges, but as soon as those hinges arrive, we will put up the last two doors. Meanwhile, a little breathing space. Yeah!

That said, I find that even in "retirement" there is no space and time for oil painting, poetry writing, simply reading, or truly cleaning out the depths of my house. I am coming to the comprehension that I will only accomplish humble things in my life. But they will make an important difference in a few lives.

listener said...

Thank-you, Pat, for your words from camping…especially the part about we humans yet having something to give to the Earth. What a hopeful thought. ♥

listener said...

"I'd say falling off her hours is something her *grandmother* does regularly, lol!"

LOL, puddle!! Amen to that!!

Silly ol' iPhone can't spell "horse" half the time. ;-)

whitznd said...

I suspect that woman had a long and loving relationship with that lion. Yes, Listener, stuff always does have a habit of needing to be done when you'd like to do something else.

Just got to work and am checking in quickly. much love to all

puddle said...

Getting the hang of making choc chip cookies with home made choc chips (made with coconut oil, which melts at very low temps). ONE--keep the chips in the freezer until just before adding to dough. TWO--make both batches at the same time. Put both cookie sheets with 15/each cookies into the oven, and THEN turn the oven on to about 400ยบ. 12 minutes, and out.

I actually make enough dough for a normal 48 cookies. . . . but I hate teeny tiny cookies, lol! So it comes to about two and a half dozen big, solid cookies. Make the dough stiff enough that it holds the melted choc chips in tiny pockets till they cool enough to harden again. Still some loss, but not as much as formerly.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Your cookies sound delicious, Puddle. I have just recently begun to
use coconut oil..so versatile and safe...inside and outside the body.

Listener, Congratulations on all the projects for your family!

It has been beastly hot here-- in the 90's every day and doesn't
begin to cool down in the evening until eight or so. So, of course
I had a dentist appt last week and RA tomorrow.
Must be getting old..loved these temps while
in Texas:). If I remember correctly my man
Wendell Berry will be 81 tomorrow. Happy to share a
a birth year with him!

listener said...

Thanks, Shirlee!

You also share your birth year with my spiritual guide … such a great vintage year for wisdom!

I, too, love coconut oil. What recipe are you using to make your own chocolate chips?

I usually simply use carob chips, since they are naturally sweet without sugar or chocolate.

They are excellent sprinkled on something cold.


puddle said...

A few glubs of coconut oil (maybe half a cup/maybe 3/4 cup?)into small pan. Heat on medium. Heaping tablespoon of raw cacoa powder, cup of Splenda. Stir. Pour into pie plate. Put in freezer. When frozen, turn out onto paper plate and use knife and/or cleaver to break into chunks. That's enough "chips" for two batches of cookies.

puddle said...

Ugg! Just checked the nutrition facts for a carob bar. Glycemic index: 27!! And yes, that's unsweetened. Carob flour is even higher. So guess I won't be using it, lol!

puddle said...

listener, for you: http://www.amazon.com/BulkSupplements-Sucralose-Powder-100-grams/dp/B00CCXMBC8/ref=pd_sim_325_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PD4BRA73SHTC52EJR2D

Just the sweets, none of the bulker.

puddle said...

http://www.amazon.com/BulkSupplements-Sucralose-Powder-100-grams/dp/B00CCXMBC8/ref=pd_sim_325_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0PD4BRA73SHTC52EJR2D

Hope this one takes. . . .

puddle said...

Phone's been out for several hours. Me and thousands of others. Back now. Never any word as to why, lol! Glad to be back.

listener said...

Welcome back! Hope you're still back, puddle. ♥

Too hot and no phone are inconveniences you can live without!

listener said...

I hear you, puddle, about carob. For me it's not a matter of avoiding a rise in blood sugar as avoiding sugar itself, since for me sugar causes cravings for sweets.

Carob is considered a low-calorie, low-fat and low-caffeine alternative to chocolate. Popular forms include carob chips and carob flour. A 2-tablespoon serving of unsweetened carob chips contains about 70 calories, 3.5 grams of fat, 8 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of fiber and 2 grams of protein. Carob is also a valuable source of calcium, according to "The Raw Food Lifestyle" by health educator Ruthann Russo. It provides about 80 milligrams of calcium per serving. In flour form, carob contains about 229 calories and 51 grams of sugar per cup. Consuming carob pulp has links to improved cholesterol levels in adults, due to the fiber content.

The fact that I can eat it without craving more is the biggest reason I prefer it to chocolate a lot of the time.


What is sucralose made of?

listener said...

Meant to mention that another big factor for me is that, unlike chocolate, carob doesn't have caffeine!!

whitznd said...

Actually, chocolate does not have caffeine in it. It has theobromine that has a caffeine like affect of stimulating the heart. But theobromine is not an insect repellant nerve jangler like caffeine is (haha, I drink decaf. this is one lady you do NOT want to see on caffeine!).

Glad phone is back, Puddle! coconut oil is a favorite of mine. I make coconut cake which uses 3/4 lb of butter. I will experiment to see if the coconut oil can be replaced in it. I will also try to use coconut oil to make the buttercream frosting. but not on this one for my party, I'll experiment on a cake that I don't need to make an impression with.

Looking forward to joining friends to watch the Republican Comedy Hour (er, Debate) tomorrow night. Was listening to Tamaron Hall on my way into work this morning and she had a conservative person talking about the debates and he said, "This is a chance for Jeb Bush to show that he has a pulse. So far, he has be campaigning as if he were applying for a Country Club membership." HAHA, I usually do not burst out laughing at the news!

much love to all of my wonderful bloggie family.

puddle said...

sucralose is what makes Splenda sweet, without the bulker (that makes it easy to use a recipe with, lol!).

puddle said...

The Second Best Marigold Hotel arrived today. The rhythm is very different than the first, lol! Watched it three times, and just beginning to "get" it all.

Tomorrow predicted to be both cool and rainy. I can live wit dat!

Shirlee Murphy said...

Thanks for the report on the SBMH! May need to add it to my list;)
Still high 80's..low 90's here....haven't been out except appt with RA.
Her opinion is that there is nothing more that can be done on my bum
shoulder other than a shoulder replacement...and we both know that
ain't gonna happen. Use the ice and heat therapy for pain and the
gentle stretches given by the therapist. It is actually a great relief to
know there is one part of my body that is DONE with the medical
profession. That was such a comfort when I finally realized it. Still
see her every three months for remaining RA damage and blood
work. Everyone watching the Three (ten ring) circus tonight?
Should be good for laughs.... Love to all...


listener said...

Shirlee, I applaud your freedom!

I did NOT watch the GOP Debate…having no stomach for it. Also had our 7 yr old Grand here, and guess what. They earned on Tuesday that when she fell off her horse last Saturday, she *did* break her collarbone!! The doctors are mystified as to why she feels no pain when they press on the bone. So her arm is in a sling for 8 weeks. Sigh.

Must get to sleep to match her energy tomorrow.

Thinking of you all! ♥

puddle said...

Listened to the debate, sort of. Fell asleep a lot. Was kind of impressed they didn't fall into more holes. Nothing new, nothing surprising. This is kind of fun: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2015/aug/06/republican-fox-news-debate-donald-trump-jeb-bush

Odd silence about yesterday being the 70th anniversary of Hiroshima.

Pat said...

Good Morning,

Hot days here, hoping for needed rain.

We watched the debates last night, a kind of duty, but they were awful! I have no respect for any of them. Ideologues, shallow, arrogant, dishonest, ignorant, self serving. If any one were to be elected, I'd say we're doomed. How does this county bring forth such fools?! I'm embarrassed, appalled, and frankly, they are dangerous. Where is the maturity, the knowledge, the articulation of what we are as a country, the needs, the vision for the future?
Since Reagan, we've been on a downward projectory, and only Obama has made improvements, correctives, and set us on a path towards a sustainable future.

I can't say enough awful about them. I won't watch them again. Is there any hope for a country where such juvenile, narcissistic, people pose as responsible politicians?

GRRRRR! Anyway, I hope your day is good.

Pat said...

county should be country.

whitznd said...

Pat, you are SOOOOOOOOOO correct! What a bunch of bazoons. We had a debate watch party complete with soft projectiles for hurling at the TV - which happened quite often. The potluck, at least, was good!


https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1051262134886311&set=a.218881991457667.65795.100000076031164&type=1&comment_id=1051316281547563&offset=0&total_comments=5&ref=notif&notif_t=mentions_comment

At work, will comment more later.

XOXOXO

puddle said...


https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1051262134886311&set=a.218881991457667.65795.100000076031164&type=1&comment_id=1051316281547563&offset=0&total_comments=5&ref=notif&notif_t=mentions_comment

whitznd said...

thank you so much, Puddle. Much appreciated.

puddle said...

Second of two gorgeous days. And no rain despite a 100% and 90% prediction. Tomorrow looks cooler, too.

whitznd said...

WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO Bernie today!!!!!!! Two rallies! One downtown at Westlake Park to talk about SS and Medicare and the other at the U of WA. We, and our friends, are SO excited.

Will report on it tomorrow.

Lovely day to you ladies. XOXOXXO

puddle said...

Today, with a 30% chance of rain, it rains, lol! Poor weather guys! The shame, the shame.

Speaking of shame--am embarrassed to admit that in the Second Best, I didn't catch until the *sixth time through* that the new addition was the ex-pats' club and not the hotel the soon to be brother in law's buddy bought. (red faced)

Shirlee, if that was a spoiler, I apologize. I don't tend to think of that kind of info as a spoiler--but then not much could spoil a good thing for me.

Speaking of which, the old Perry Mason show--I would frustrate the chit out of my then hubby because I could always pick the killer/villain, and he never could. I even told him the trick: pick the one character with NO reason to commit the crime, and a perfect alibi. In the last two minutes, there would be totally new, unheard of information. . . . He could not give up the idea that there should be (but never were) actual *clues*. . . .

Shirlee Murphy said...

Puddle, NOTHING spoils a good book, movie, DVD, audiobook for me.
The ones that catch our fancy are endlessly repeatable! OLP--
Old Librarians Opinion! I have read, re-re read, listened, re-relistened
to Wendell Berry's Port William so much, I have had to replace certain
book titles, and the audiobook books have been taped and re-taped.
They are a light paper box...because Mr. B. Is doing his part to save our
environment...don't think plastic would be approved.

Lovely low 80's and sunny, low humidity..so I had a good walk...
to the bookstore. Love that place. Happy Sunday to all!!!

whitznd said...

Well, the second Bernie event went well! The first, which wasn't really a Bernie event, he was just the keynote speaker at a SS/Medicare event, was hijacked by two women that claimed to be from Black Lives Matter. However, BLM wrote an apology to Seattle and to Bernie for their behavior and stated that they were not representing BLM. This type of behavior does no good for the BLM movement.

We had 15,000 folks there, 12,000 in the stadium and 3,000 outside. However, Portland lapped us. They had 20,000 in their stadium and 6 - 8,000 outside. They had another 10,000 online. I have no numbers for the Seattle online.

Kimmy and Craig were there! They created a website for Engineers for Bernie! Those two rock!

softly raining here, definitely needed. Much love and light to my bloggies.

Pat said...

Great news, Barb. I am hopeful that there is a movement in this country that wants the common good to be the priority of government, that recognizes that money and stuff do not make a life, nor are they worth hostilities and war.

I listened to On Being on NPR last night with Krista Tippet. She broadcast the last interview with John O'Donohue, a former Catholic priest, poet, counselor. Interiority was the subject, coming to terms with our lives, with the invisible, with what we see as our purpose. It was beautifully done.

On Facebook, a writer said that he attended Bernie's event in Portland, would have gone to Hillary's as well, but he couldn't afford the more than $2000.00 for admittance. Somehow, as brilliant as Hillary may be, I don't think she understands what many of us are looking for. It's as if her ambition is much greater than her ability to lead or recognize what it is we need. I'm sorry she's running; I think it's time to let go, do something else. We need a different kind of leadership, a different process than what we've had since Reagan.

Still hot here, plants, bushes wilting. We need rain.

Pat said...

Awfully quiet here. I hope everyone is well, that all is all right.

No rain here other than about a handful of sprinkles. We need the rain. Otherwise, all is well. I'm trying to give away my library. I've spent 30 years gathering books, and now it's time to give them away, but it's hard, hard, hard to part with them. But, book by book, magazine by magazine, and maybe in 30 years....


A smile for you all, missing you.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

Smiling back at you Pat! I am insisting on smiling, crying time is over (I hope). 5 year old grandson was helping me get a few things out of my 'fairy woods' out back tonight and asked - are you going to miss this place Grandma? I said yes and asked him if he was going to miss it - yes, I am! very emphatic. well didn't that just turn on the tears. I've been holding up pretty well but that just caught me. he asked a lot of questions, where will I go, will I live far away? I don't know. I'll come see you if you do!! right now he lives a 5 minute walk from me and I am so going to miss being close by. his older brothers drop in when out for a bike ride. he stays with me a lot.

I am trying to go through, give away, sell and throw away 30+ years of accumulation. I listed my house this week, cash sale, well below market because I only got 30 days extension on my foreclosure - if not sold by 9/11 it will be auctioned and I may lose all of my equity. and I still have no idea where I am going to go.

puddle said...

Jo, I am so sorry. I know this is better than the alternative, but it still sucks.

Thirty-three years ago, I fell in love with a house, we bought it and spent the next ten years rehabbing it. I stripped so much paint, I developed an allergy to methylene chloride. We rewired, re-plastered, stripped layers of flooring. Researched--turned out to be the overseer's house from the Riversdale Plantation. House had termite damage, repaired with a box/trunk from a student [writing still intact on box/wood] at the Wright Brother's preWWI flight school (which operated out of the College Park Airport). The house was on the corner lot of its block, the last four free lots, which were bought by a developer, whose intent was to tear it down, and to build five identical ramblers. He ran out of money before he could destroy it, but had the materials, so slapped a 12x15 extension on the back, sided the whole thing with aluminum siding, and sold it. And secondarily saved it.

House was balloon framed with two story 3"x3"s, and sided with random pattern chestnut grooved siding. We left the original house pretty much as we found it, did most extensive work on the several additions (1910; 1965, 1975). The marriage ended before the rehab did, but the estranged hubby helped till it was finished. My garden, 5'x150 ran along side the long side of the property. Mostly irises, peonies, and day lilies. I had neighbors who made a point of coming by during each flowering season to see, and we often talked, because I was in the garden, working.

He got the 401K, I got the house. I got to live in it, finished, for about a year before I had to sell it: I couldn't find a job, my doll crafting business died in Bush the elder's recession, and I couldn't afford the $1300/month payments. The week we finished it, Josh said: I didn't know it would look like this! I was astonished: that's all I ever saw. . . .

A year later, I'd moved to California, got closure on a twenty year old relationship, moved to the redwoods, got flooded, and returned to Maryland to look for a place in WV. Which I got with the last of the house money. And I'm not sorry. But Lord! I loved that house. Unreasonably. And that garden. That garden. . . .

Which is a very long winded way to say, I know somewhat of the pain you're feeling. And I promise you: good things, many many good things, are yet to come.

xox

listener said...

{{{ <3 JO <3 }}}

Can I lend you two hands next week? And a shoulder?

listener said...

Make that {{{ ♥ JO ♥ }}}

(True Deaniac hearts.)

puddle said...

Sorry to have dropped into the DVD hole. Got two of three Grey's Anatomies. . . . Alas, year two and three. After delaying for six hours, went ahead and fell in. Sunday at six p.m. till Monday at 3:30, sleep break from 3:30 to 7:30, 7:30 till 3:30a.m. Sleep till noon when the planes of the US Navy decided to do some war practice up and down my valley. Noon till about one a.m.

Just to prove the stoopidest woman in America and some brilliant broad both live in this skin, two stories.

#1--It was warm last night when I went to bed, so I ran the A/C all night. It was warmer when I woke up. So I'm fussing around, wondering how I'll get by with another month at least of summer. Finish last night's cold coffee, go to get more, and notice it's very very hottish right around the stove. I'd left the oven on after I took the meat loaf out. . . . WHEW!!!! THE A/C ISN'T BROKEN. MY BRAIN IS.

#2--After the Meredith drowns episode, when they're back at the hospital, and they can't get her heart to start, and can't get her warm, I'm futzinng at the morons because it hasn't occurred to anyone to try warming her blood with the heart/lung machine. Ten minutes ("several hours") later, it does. I know the brilliant surgeons at Grace didn't write the show, but surely they had some medical adviser/s? Sheesh!

Of possible interest: it's downright scary how much of the medical info presented on the show I already know. Guess not for nothing do I own my own Merck's Manual and Physicians' Desk Reference. And heartening to know I do NOT own a DSM. . . .

puddle said...

Hi, listener! Fancy meeting you here, lol!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

good morning ladies! thank you for your thoughts puddle. I do love this house and love being near my family, but the biggest reason that I tried so hard to stay was that I had gotten the mortgage down to be affordable, even when I am collecting my SS - $404/mo for mortgage, taxes and insurance. I will be lucky to find a room to rent for that in this area, more like $1000+ for an apartment of any size. realtor says if someone buys the house as a rental they will charge around $1500/mo. fingers crossed for a good sale.

listener next week is pretty much open except for the overwhelming, ongoing sort and pack. let me know what works for you, I would love to see you!

xoxoxoxoxoxo to all!

Pat said...

Hi Jo, Thoughts for you. It is a heartache, and we will hold you in our awareness and our hearts as you go through this process. Loving a home is central to our lives, I think. I still dream of the home I grew up in which eventually was foreclosed on and auctioned. The memories, though, can never be taken away.

In Michigan and in Colorado, they have apartments that are called Co-op Housing, and I think they are adjusted to our income. It's kind of a special arrangement as I recall a teacher who joined a co-op group. Does Vermont have anything like that? As the teacher was telling me about it, what I do remember is how practical and community oriented it seemed to me.

Anyway, Jo, our love to you. You will find a way that works for you I know.

whitznd said...

{{{ ♥ JO ♥ }}} So sorry to hear of this news. You have us here, and that won't change. Some good advice and suggestions and sympathies from all here. I so treasure this spot of sanity in our world.

Bernie is burning up! Whooo hoooo. surpassed Hil in New Hampshire!

much love to all

Shirlee Murphy said...

Thinking, think of you, Jo.. I think it is hard ..under any circumstances to leave a home you have
loved, lived in, made it home. Best wishes for you. To add to Pat's
suggestion...I know there are programs in TX and NC for very
nice, affordable housing. I have recently visited one with a
friend who lives there. It was a one bedroom, with large
kitchen and very roomy living area. She is a professional
musician...so has several string instruments..and has plenty
of space for them. A large community room which can be
reserved. She loves it...and it and is very happy. She is an active
woman.

I do hope you can find something suitable for YOU!


Jo_in_Vermont said...

hi Pat, thank you! yes we have co-op housing and a lot of 'affordable' housing in the area - many years ago Bernie as mayor made sure that going forward any new housing multi-unit construction in Burlington would include at least 10% affordable units. trouble is there is about a 2 year waiting period. I am on the lists but won't be eligible for quite some time.

puddle said...

Jo, if you can, check in with the Quakers--they have (at least sometimes) interesting living/retirement props going. There's at least one Quaker Deaniac somewhere in Vermont. (Ann? Anne? ???)

Jo_in_Vermont said...

thanks puddle, I will check - I see that there is a Friends group in Burlington. xo

listener said...

Today I went to Bernie's Senate office in Burlington to ask that he cosponsor the National Nurse Act. He cosponsored it so long ago that he was in the House then. It has 20 R and 19 D sponsors in the House now, and 2 D and 1 R in the Senate so far. This bill has been around for 11 years and is still waiting for passage. It's bipartisan and requires NO appropriation. It has the support of nurses organisations all across the country, including the ANA. Why is this still waiting?

The Vermont office is really more about Advocacy than legislation. All the staffers were in a meeting, but one assistant came out and gave me 20 seconds or so. The intern at the desk was nice, and let me walk him through the packet I'd brought. They said they'd get it "into the right hands." We'll see.

Bernie has to be about the busiest person on the planet right now. So I brought a whole packet of info, from a copy of the bill to lists of the cosponsors, to information about the Vermont Legislature passing two Joint Resolutions in support of the National Nurse Act (2008 and 2014), to a list of the nursing organisations in favour, to a one-pager describing the bill, a letter from the Senate sponsor, and a 6-page letter from the National Nurse team to legislators.

Do we also need to go stand in their places and vote for them, or what?

listener said...

Jo, I can do Monday or Thursday, though with Monday looking to be hitting 90, Thursday might be wiser. Let's see how the forecast progresses. I can bring lunch (have kept your choice for sandwich in my iPhone), and we can go watch the water for awhile as a nice break and good place to talk. I am also willing to roll up my sleeves, as it were, and help with some grunt work. See what feels good to you.

More than anything, I can easily imagine how hard it is for you to lose the proximity to your Grands! We share that closeness with our sweet Grands and I know it will be hardest on you and them. But please know that what I have found is that when you can't be so easily near, they love you just as much and appreciate you even a little more. You can work out some special communications, like phone and letters. Grand Ivy told me this week that she "never gets any mail!" so I sent her a package and plan to send her cards, even though she lives less than an hour away. I am also going to get her some cards and stamps with a list of addresses, and let her send her own epistles. Skype might also help. But I know losing that ease is going to give you and them an ache that can only be assuaged by being together. Remember that you have many years ahead together, and at some point they will be able to come to you!

= ♥ Great Big Grammie Hugs ♥ =

puddle said...

Some days I just need to say how much I love you all, and how much you contribute to my life just by being here, hearing and loving each other.

Thank you.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Thank you, Puddle so much for that thought....and thank you for
finding the makings of new threads for us. I

am always grateful to know how every one is doing.

Listener, you are one busy committed lady. I hope Bernie takes
your packet of information and does use it to push the National
Nurse Act through?

Thoughts for Jo finding housing. If anyone can help I think it
may be the Quakers. They are such good people.
Central NC is home to large Quaker and Mennonite populations.
Somehow their presence seems to make the rest of the population
a little kinder... Love to all...stay well.


listener said...

Sanders Shamelessly Pandering to Voters Who Want to Hear Truth

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/sanders-shamelessly-pandering-to-voters-who-want-to-hear-truth


:-D

listener said...

Tune in to Vermont Public Radio at noon or 7pm today as they are discussing Bernie's campaign!

listener said...

For some reason I woke up Friday morning thinking about the train derailment that happened here in Vermont many years ago. I'm sure Jo remembers it too. I remember that my husband and I took our five young children to a company (Digital) sponsored fun day at the local fairgrounds, and all day helicopters kept going overhead. The children thought that was a hoot, but it wasn't long before we heard the reason for all the activity. Heavy rain overnight had washed out a rail bed and the Amtrak Montrealer had plummeted into a ravine. I wondered anew just when that had taken place, and what the retrospective on it turned out to be. So I looked it up and came across this wonderful article, published just last year, on the 30th anniversary of the disaster. The date of the crash was 7 July 1984. Of the 278 people aboard, 5 died and 149 were injured, which is amazing given how terrible the crash was. The accident took place shortly before 7:00am. By 8am, Vermont's Republican Governor, Richard Snelling (Howard Dean was Lt. Gov at the time], arrived on the scene unshaven, and stayed until the last body was found at 1:00am the next day. The retrospective shows that the emergency personnel who came together to rescue the injured and stranded did a truly stellar job, which every survivor on the train echoed. Amazing. This is worth a read:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/loc al/2014/07/15/historic-train-crash-rescue-remember ed/12697769/

listener said...

The National Nurse Packet that I left for Bernie: The rest of the story…

You may recall that upthread I told how I went to Bernie's Senate Office on Wednesday with a packet of information I'd put together about the National Nurse Act, in hopes of connecting with someone who could see if Bernie (who is on the Health Committee in the US Senate!) would sign on as a co-sponsor, as he did back when he was in the US House and the bill was young. I only got to show the packet to an intern, and talk for about 20 seconds with an assistant. They told me that the Burlington office is primarily for local Advocacy and that legislative matters are generally handled in DC. But that they would see that the packet got into the right hands. I left the packet, but also left rather unsatisfied.

Well, guess what. On Thursday, I decided to write a fresh email to Bernie's Health Aide in DC, who had told me back last month that Bernie would "consider my thoughts" if the bill ever made it into the Health Committee. But that hadn't been my question, I explained. I still need to know whether he will co-sponsor. Shortly after I hit "Send" I got an auto-reponder saying that the Aide was not in the office this week as she is in Vermont for meetings { !!! }, but she would check in for her email from time to time. Quick like a bunny I sent another email offering to meet with her while she's in Vermont!! She wrote back soon afterward, saying she was headed back to DC Friday morning, was mostly on the road in Vermont for meetings, but that she had been at the Senate office that morning and was given my packet!!! But she offered to call me this week and asked when is good for me. So it looks like I'll be talking to her on Tuesday!!

I'm still grinning over the odds of that happening!!! Cosmic!

listener said...

Whoops! Let's try that train derailment link again!

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2014/07/15/historic-train-crash-rescue-remembered/12697769/

puddle said...

When one person really really really does her homework, wonderful things happen. . . . Thank you Mz Deaniac for being that person!! xox

Jo_in_Vermont said...

listener I DO remember that very well - we haven't had many tragedies here in my lifetime and it was a real shock yet it was amazing how well they handled the rescue. also have to say that Gov Snelling was more in the mold of old time republicans, who worked with others for the good of the people. as a matter of fact Howard Dean, who stepped into the Gov role when Dick Snelling died unexpectedly, continued on with almost all of his proposals, much to the chagrin of many in the dem party.

update on the house, I had one viewer on Thursday who made me a good offer on Friday - $5k below my asking price with a closing in 2 weeks - it's a cash sale because I have so little time, well below market value but much better than anything that I would most likely get if it goes to auction. I had another viewer yesterday and the realtor will meet with me this morning, he thought I would have another offer, so we can discuss and see where this goes. depending upon whether I get another offer, I think I will accept his but ask for a little more time to get packed up and get out of here. I would only have 2 weeks after the closing and since I won't have any money to facilitate a move - lots of expense involved to sell, clean up and pack 30+ years of my life - it would really make a difference to have an extra week or two. his plan is to rent the house out, he has other rentals nearby, so I think he can afford to give me a little more time. I feel very grateful to have a good offer so quickly, but I still don't have anywhere to go. I think things will work out okay, I hope I don't have to move too far away from my family, but this area has pretty high rents, I have searched for a large area around here, outside the most expensive parts of it and learned that every bit of the affordable and subsidized housing has a 1 to 5 year waiting list. please wish me luck and good judgment!!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

should be: I won't have any money to facilitate a move until after the closing. ;-)

Jo_in_Vermont said...

listener for some reason I can't access that article, page says it may have been moved. seems weird since you just posted it!! I will try to search for it anyway, thanks!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

I want to share a funny 'Bernie' story - I had dinner at my son's house the other night and we were talking about Bernie. my daughter in law said that years ago she was taking a law course at Burlington College. they were talking about politics and a new guy, he had missed the first few classes, comes into the room and sits back and listens for a few minutes as some of the class were bashing Bernie. he says, "excuse me. but I thought you might want to know that Bernie is my father." it was Levi Sanders and his comments shut the conversation down and elicited some apologies. ;-)

Jo_in_Vermont said...

I sold my house this morning. on to the next adventure!!

puddle said...

Jo, the derailment story *good* link is just above my comment. (The first one had an extra space.)

Glad you got a sale. Hope you get the extra time. And traveling mercies!! xox

Shirlee Murphy said...

Congratulations Jo, on selling your house at a price you feel comfortable with.
Packing is a huge job....I hope you can find someone to help....and a place
to live. That seems a long time to wait for affordable housing. Does Bernie
need to put the word out? In both Texas and North Carolina I could have gotten
In within a month....but there would not have been enough room for my books.

You all will appreciate this comment from Brenda...we were discussing the location
of any papers she might need when I die. She had that down pat....and then
added......"could you try and die at the first of the month I can't pack up all these
books if you wait till the end." So the next time I was at the bookstore I asked
the owner if he would be interested in my collection when the time comes.
"In a heartbeat" he said, but added "I don't like to think about it." Good book
dealers love librarians. Bless their hearts.

puddle said...

New thread!