I had a dream last night that I was living on the third floor of an apartment house and, when I looked out the window one day, there was a long white and blue sign which read, "How have you seen Howard Dean today?" And there, through the window across the way was none other than Howard Dean, sporting a big grin. :-D
What a dream, Listener. I still have the HD papers at the opposite end of my bed. Have not forgotten, had to heal a right bum shoulder first...still not the best. I think I just need to go in there and work a few minutes at a time...as soon as the knee therapists go away...I will give it another try,
Love the new page, Puddle. Thank you.. If doctors still made house calls I wouldn't mine... !!
No hurry whatsoever, Shirlee!! Even when you send them, I won't have time to look them over until Spring, as I have baby quilts to make and need to learn how to use my treadle, too! :-)
A friend of ours, who taught some of ours to sail, was a Dartmouth professor of medicine, and a doctor into the bargain. He had a small practice in addition to teaching, and still made house calls into his late 70's.
HI all! My Mom had a Dr who came to her, whether at home or in assisted living, for the last 4 years of her life. She was a wonderful doc. She worked only with the elderly and she really understood the issues that she faced.
Things are great here - I love my new home, it is perfect for me! I am sick of unpacking, with my back and hand issues it is taking me a long time. I am still purging things, when we started packing several weeks before I moved I wasn't sure where I was moving to and do have to trim down some more!
Love you all! Can't wait for the debate next week!!! xoxoxo
Great to hear from you and so glad for your happiness in your new home.
Yes, looking forward to the debate next week. The meetups are starting here again in Estes Park. Howard Dean's efforts are still here for us. Instead of campaigning for Howard, we'll very likely be campaigning for Bernie.
Ah, so good to hear from Jo....and all. Unpacking can take months...well it did here.
One more visit from a physical therapist on Monday...and I am done...for now! An occupational therapist was here yesterday and neither of us could see why he was here. I have had mobility and function issues for 28 years..since the Beginning of RA and have just learned to adapt. Today is TGIB day!! Only visitor will be Brenda bringing in a Friday night very good pizza.
Need to check out the rapture site...thanks Puddle. Happy day all.
Great post, Puddle! Thanks for keeping this blog fresh!
Hi to all! Jo, so glad you love where you landed. That is wonderful. Shirlee, yay on not needing the PT anymore and you can proceed on your own.
Listener - bizzy bizzy as always. Keeps you young!
Pat, yes, looking forward to the debate. We had originally thought to have only 4 more people besides ourselves, but now we're up to 10. Folks love coming to our house for political stuff!
Soooome day! I subbed at the Library, reminding me how much I always liked the tasks of the job, but always was annoyed by the interpersonal crap. Ha! Much better in small doses.
Bill had his annual checkup today and is doing GREAT!! This is pretty significant as many of his siblings aren't doing so well, generally speaking. (Nothing huge, just not altogether well.) My turn is the 29th.
Barb ~ Ah, the thing is I'm an introverted contemplative, so being bizzy wipes me out. Heh. But Grands keep us young. ;-)
Shirlee ~ Hurrah for your newfound freedom!! :-D
puddle ~ Have FUN! How old are the Grands? Da boy is sure to be delighted!
Pat ~ Hallo! I'm looking forward to this debate, and the commentary later by Colbert and others.
{{{ JO! }}} ~ I am tickled you're liking your place so well~!! Take all the time you need. Enjoy each box of surprises. ♥
Was thinking yesterday that the hospital gowns in Grey's are the same as when my kids were born, fifty years ago. Even the same damn print. . . . My theory has always been that they are *intended* to break your spirit, and make you more amenable to being pushed around against your best interests. Even if you changed nothing but the print--say a nice jungle print or a plaid?
puddle, there have been some innovations in some places in hospital gown fashion. My gynecologist uses a kind that offers better coverage and comes in nice solids and some funky prints. Some now use velcro instead of ties, too. Even so…!
Warm and breezy fall day here. The weather to be sunny and warm all week. Again, when in my lifetime, have we had 80 degree days in October?
Bernie Sanders was in Boulder this past Saturday. Friends attended the rally at the University of Colorado. There were about 9000 people there, and Bernie gave his standard talk about free universities, the environment, inequalities, and the need for infrastructure repair. It was received with enthusiasm.
I do think we hunger for ethics and morality in government and in our dealings with each other. We've gone so far off the balance of opportunities for everyone and fairness.
I went to a poetry workshop at the Daz Bog coffee house in Loveland, and all our poetry was concerned with aging, mortality, those experiences we are having, will have, as we get older. The poems were moving, well done, had distinctive voices, and we shared our lives with each other. This getting older stuff is challenging, but just different from the challenges we had in other stages. We laughed, a few of us have Irish in our ancestry, talked about keeping on, keeping up our spirits, and our feistiness. It was a fun session. It's good to meet with friends, nurturing, inspiring, and a comfort.
Talking with grandson about computers/internet, and he agreed with me about Facebook making a recent change (adding tons of coding) which makes it impossible for me to load *any* facebook pages. And that there's no way to make them give a damn. Haven't been able to load any facebook pages for a couple of months. Therefore, I miss Phil, and others who only hang there.
Then we talked about back in 2003, when I found this wonderful little tiny blindingly fast browser called firebird, which is now dying of jobbathehutness disease. What no one ever involved in computers learns: HOW TO KEEP ONE'S HANDS OFF OF A GOOD THING.
I doubt that cell towers are headed this way--I live in radio-dark WV. Right between the NSA listening devices, and the Greenbank Telescope. No one cares about us.
OK--media question-- I am just now getting acquainted with Facebook. I have a Michigan cousin who has asked me to join LinkedIn. Does that mess up my fairly limited FB contacts or is it complementary?
OMG! Too much to comment on. You're all so busy into your things and I'm happy for that! Jo - YAY for polling places. We are all vote by mail here in WA.
Leaving work early today to go home and get stuff ready for our potluck - debate watch party. going to have two laptops ready for Tweeting!
We watched the debate from home and missed some of the opening statements, so I will want to go back and read those. But I thought that both Bernie and Hillary held their own well. Webb is not my guy. I was more impressed with O'Malley than Chafee, but can't really say why. It wasn't on TV here, as we don't get a CNN channel, so had to live stream it on my Mac. There was a place to vote for who "won" the debate and Bernie got 75% of that vote vs 18% for Hillary and less for the others. That may be a factor of the organised Bernie watch parties, but it still speaks well for Bernie's social media presence. I thought Hillary had good poise, but she didn't impress me with her facts and accomplishments. Bernie did better as the debate progressed and really shined in places. So I am satisfied. I am interested to see the debate that Rachel Maddow moderates. Anderson Cooper did pretty well, given that most debate moderators aren't able to keep a lid on comment length. A lot got discussed for the amount of time. They certainly blew the doors off the Republican debate. (But we knew they would.)
I appreciate your assessment of the debate, Listener, and I concur that there was no comparison between the Republican debates and this Democratic debate. Was the Republican debate even a debate? It was stupid, juvenile, personality driven, and issues were irrelevant.
Yes, Hillary did well, but when it comes to trust, passion, and idealism, Bernie was the clear winner for me. Hillary was so made up, her hair so sculpted, that I was distracted. She's nearly 70 years old, but looked 30 - how much that represents our culture! Not that I would want her to appear less than attractive. But, it's time for a people revolution, and Bernie's passion and integrity are what we need. Jim Webb and Lincoln Chaffey really didn't stand out much, and Martin O'Malley did a good job, but again, wasn't as impressive as the two front runners.
Congratulations, Democrats, for addressing the issues, for civility, for speaking for the people. If we are to stop the deterioration, the takeover of this country from the most powerful, rich, and ideologically driven, we do have to engage the voters, and Bernie certainly made that clear.
So interesting. All news outlets blare the fact that Hillary WON! Hillary was SUPERB! Hillary KILLED it! To bad the polls that those very same outlets said just the opposite with Bernie getting 60 to 80 percent!
Many interesting discussions on FB. One friend, a Hillary supporter, claimed that Bernie was "too angry". I then reminded him that he talked in exactly the same manner at every single dem meeting I've ever seen him at. Is it anger? and should it be? I suspect directed to the inequalities that are happening? What is wrong with that? In which case, I think anger is appropriate. or is it passion? Or a bit of both.
Never ever being negative about Hillary.
He was a bit sheepish in his answer back to me. :o)
Couldn't stream CNN on my I-Pad....so waited for the clips and comments. I sort of wish we could have a Dual Presidency....Bernie for vision and passion, Hillary for toughness. I think Elizabeth Warren embodies both.but we need her in the Senate...especially if Bernie wins.
Lovely walking weather here....expanding the length of my walks...just to see if I can. Interesting street people we have....Including a man in his seventies who is here during the summer....and goes to Florida, Texas and Arizona for the winter. Usual trek says Brenda....other wisdom from B. "make friends with a few...they will keep the ones who only want money away."
Have to say that all things considered, the dems did one whole helluva lot better than the reps. If I wuz a rep, I'd be looking fer a hangin' tree, about now.
HAH! I just got an email from Ben Carson at my work email address! Hope he didn't pay a lot for that list! Actually, I hope he paid a WHOLE lot for that list! I unsubscribed immediately.
He was flogging his newsletter. ACK!!!!
Going to be working with a co-worker today to organize the garage here so we can have some room back there.
Cooling down here...gray and in the sixties ..and damp. Loved the clips from the Dem's debate. Bernie and Hillary would make a great team! And what was up with Lincoln Chaffee? Loved Hilllary's flat NO to his question....she is done explaining, defending...and Bernie just doesn't want to waste any time on that. We have two good ones!!!
Barb, I envy you and your volunteer work. I worked on Howard's campaign in Palacios. And then on President Obama's campaign at our county seat in 2008. Great time.
Bernie Sanders is on Bill Maher tonight. I will report tomorrow. We have a new granddaughter as of yesterday. Mom and baby doing well, father exhausted, hadn't eaten in 14 hours. We are happy and can't wait to visit.
Beautiful fall day here. I'm still dealing with my disorganization and clutter.
Shirlee, so glad you are walking and feeling better.
Winter appears to be a coming in--tomorrow and Sunday, highs in the forties, and lows in the twenties. Pretty though. And truth is I was mighty tired of endless summer.
Everyone sounds good at the same time!! I never take such moments for granted. :-)
{{{ {{ ♥ PAT! ♥ }} }}} Sweet Congratulations on the birth of your new Grand!!! It's always good to hear that mama and baby are well. Poor Daddy, though! Sounds like he truly laboured too.
We're in Maine for Daughter's baby shower. Beautiful drive and we made it to the largest quilt shop in the USA just a half hour before closing. I did the impossible! I chose the fabric for next grandchild's baby quilt before they closed!! This usually takes me about 4 hours!! :-D
Snuggle up, puddle. The Champlain Valley of Vermont is looking at 20's as well and possibly a dusting of snow into the bargain. It's hard to complain, though, as we're the last county in the State waiting for the first frost.
Plus! The big Grand news of the day is that Eldest*Grand, now age 9, just got eyeglasses! She was having horrific headaches (even migraines), so everyone is super relieved that it's not neurological. They really suit her (she is a bibliophile ~ think: Hermione Granger) and now looks more intelligent than ever. She only needs them for reading, but they gave her what is effectively bifocals, with no prescription for the top part, so she won't need to take them off. She doesn't need them for sports or outdoor activities. Oh how times have changed, as she was hoping she would need glasses! :-)
Listener...love the story about the eyeglasses...I always felt the same way But had to wait until my late thirties and studying for my graduate degrees did my dream come true...even if at that time we could barely afford them.
Lovely, lovely weather here now clear skies, sunshine, 70's walkable weather! Totally signed off from this round of Medicare repair! I am always more than glad To have them arrive when I have a problem. But glad when they are finished and I can get my busy life back!:)
Pat--I am finding one way to clear out some things. Offer things you have had and loved to children or grandchildren as birthday or Christmas gifts. Seems daughter No. 2 who spends a lot of time in her car is wishing for more CDs ...I have some that I can now Give up...she seems to be delighted.
Everyone OK out there? Chillier here, but bright blue skies. Had a wonderful afternoon in my neighborhood yesterday. Longer walk, investigating small side streets, visit to the bookstore found Pope Francis ' Encyclical on climate change.' Visited with the Bookman/ owner, stopped to chat with a couple of young street people who have taken me as one of their friends, wanted to see the books I had bought and declared that I had a "good spirit." Perfect Greensboro afternoon.!
Today Brenda arrives with groceries and fixes a fine dinner.
Puddle thought it seemed familiar .....liked it coming from you!
Pat...do you have any contacts with the book dealers you bought from? If so, they would remember the kinds of things you have. I started doing this twenty years ago...when I changed my life. Some of them were rather rare and they gave me a fair price for them. These were book dealers I worked with while buying for the Art Library at MSU. Some very nice, then current, art books I sold to a niece who was studying art. I gave her a price and an installment plan that fit her budget. I am very lucky now to live where we have several independant dealers. I only buy from two --they take good care of their stock and have titles that fit my collection.
Good luck.
Good quote from Argentinian author Borges..."I can go into a library and find a good book and wish I could buy it...even though I already have two copies at home!"
Laughing here, a wonderful quote, Shirlee. Yes, a library is a home, and I and some friends have also bought the same book more than once. I think books have been freedom, adventure, solace, spiritual reconciliation, entertainment, so much in my life and they always will be.
Thank you for your suggestions, Shirlee. I'll look into it. For instance, I have a set of the Great Books of the Western World. Even though at graduation from Michigan, I had student debt, enough so that I couldn't think of joining the Peace Corps, I bought them on time. I think they were $450, a huge sum then. Have I read all of them? No. I've read some. So many books I'd like to pass on to my children, but they have their own tastes and interests.
Gradually though, I do give books away to those who would like them. I also have some books I inherited that are a hundred years old, Shakespeare, for instance. There's a book store in Loveland called Dickens. I went in, but there are books everywhere, so many that I can't imagine they would want more from me.
But, I'll keep thinking about it, and I appreciate your experience.
Pat---advice from daughter Brenda..are there schools or libraries or other institutions who could make use of some of them.
Don't give up on the bookstore in Loveland...they may well want some of them.
Another thought try Googling Amazon, etc and see what prices they are asking for the same titles and editions you have. That might give you a better sense of what you could sell...or not ;)
So many books, so little time... Burt looked at his book and calculated that if he read one a day it would take him many years to get thorough them all. Has that stopped him from buying new ones (or used, as the case may be)? Not a bit! He does manage one or two a week though.
Congratulations to Canada. May we follow suit and elect progressives instead of regressive's!
Barb, I believe I may be akin to your Burt, as I still buy books and love them, even if I can't sit down and read them all. Sigh. I have stopped making margin notes in most of them now, though, so that somebody else can bear to read the book some day and not get distracted by my thoughts and associations as I read. I got into that habit when studying, but it's not very useful otherwise. :-D
As I mentioned, we went to Maine for Daughter's baby shower, then we were home for a day, then I had a meeting in NH yesterday. And today, not surprisingly, I have early cold symptoms. Hoping to nip it in the bud so that new baby granddaughter can come to dinner tomorrow evening, on the day she turns one month old!!! ♡
We saw a lot of snow showers on our trip(s) as well as beautiful trees, with reds persisting far longer than usual. A banner year for Autumn! And when the temps shifted over to cold we saw rainbows everywhere for a day. How can one not welcome snow when it starts with a Rainbow?! (Snowbow?) I felt like a Gilmore Girl, wanting to rush out into it and turn my face upward to welcome the falling snow!
Speaking of which, I don't know if you ever watched the show The Gilmore Girls, which ended abruptly with some issue or other with the writers and executives. Well! There's talk of finally completing the series via four 90-minute TV movies. I hear they will begin production early next year.
A Bunch of Bookies we are!!!!! Has anyone heard from Jo ....and how the unpacking is coming along....and is she loving her new home..and neighbors?
Beautiful blue skies and likely 60's or 70's......just took my morning turn around all the hallways on this floor (twice) in order to keep all parts moving;)!
Seems as though bit by bit we are waking up. This morning an article in our local paper...from a good reporter...she is tired of being treated like a customer or consumer by certain parts of our Rep. run state house. Emphasizes she is a citizen with basic rights...not to be confused/interchangeable with financial transactions. Some rights you have as a citizen...making an appt. with DMV and not just the processing of the document was her example.
We have a really nasty governor..and his retinue...
I see Jo oh FB almost daily, so she is taking a bit of time out to relax and cruise her friends on FB.
Pat, use a sticky note to write your thoughts and when done, you can thumb through your thoughts. When parting with the book, you can remove all the notes. That should be more satisfying than just not making notations.
Good on you, Shirlee! Glad you are keeping moving. I strive for at least 5000 steps a day and make that or more most days.
Listener, Puddle, sounds like winter is trying very hard to push it's way in!
Cold, slimy, muddy, wet day here, but how much we've needed the moisture. The last of the leaves, golden, yellow, red. Winter is on the way.
Thank you again, Shirlee, for your suggestions. About 15 years ago, I attended a multicultural workshop and Alan Lomax, the music historian was there. He gave me a book of his Cantometrics, which the University of Colorado Boulder wanted for its music history library. Your suggestion motivated me to do more of this. I have an extensive library of South Pacific literature. I'll go through it and offer it to the same library. I just need to keep on task.
I'm glad Joe Biden isn't running. Enough is enough. He has served this country most of his adult life and served it well. There is a time to say no and to have a rest from politics.
Lewis Lapham of Harpers magazine has written an article about the money, the bombast, the phoniness, and spectacle of our elections. I have to agree. At least Bernie is telling the truth. Joe Stein of Time Magazine called Bernie an Old Testament Jeremiah, but maybe that's exactly what we need.
Well, off to sit in front of the fire and have a cup of pumpkin tea.
Thanks for your report on Jo, Barb. I think of her often and am glad she seems to have come through some tough times. Her new apartment sounded wonderful.
Pat, I am glad you have a solution for part of your collection and am sure you will think of others. I know it was a relief to me....and Brenda ...when the Book store owner said " in a heartbeat" when I asked him about my collection. He only really knows what I have purchased from him in the last year and a half. Taking the rest on faith, I guess!
Michiganders---one son, one daughter are on the way. Have made it through Michigan AND Ohio! Should be here by dinner time. Dinner is from the Irish Restaurant a block or so away...enjoyed in my apartment. Tomorrow maybe Brenda's good cooking and at her house..
Egg and chicken breast salad SOUNDS delicious, Puddle.
Sunny, 70's day...cooler at night. Love to all........:)!
I am on the mend. After two miserable days with a cold virus, I slept 12 hours last night and this afternoon was able to spend an hour outside putting most of the gardens to bed. It hit 65F and I could not pass up using the warmth to be out there, instead of the 51F predicted for this Saturday. All good. There's something so healing and enriching being out digging in the soil. Ahhhhhhh.
I love, love, love all the book talk here!!! Barb, I'm probably the one who needed the sticky notes idear. It's a good one and I've tried it. But I read too fast for post-its. I often give up on grabbing the pencil and just make a mark in the margin with my thumbnail to let me know this is a key spot to come back to. In fact, I am ONLY doing that anymore, since it won't mean a thing to whomever reads after me, and I can find it easily by holding the book at a certain angle to a light. LOL!
Pat, I rather like the idear of Bernie as an Old Testament Jeremiah. He really is of a deep and abiding quality that is much needed at this time in history in this place. I will get back to volunteering at HQ next week, having needed to decline this week so I wouldn't be bringing this virus into the office. They thanked me. :-)
In the "there's no great loss without some small gain" department, I managed to lose more than a pound in two days from being ill. As I have my 60-year-old checkup a week from today, I am grateful! Ha! I have lost about 8 lbs since August, but it won't count as much more than a pound or two, since I gained a little over the hot summer before I lost some. But! I believe my blood sugar is in a good place because after sleeping for 12 hours, I did not wake up and have to eat right away. In fact, for several reasons I didn't really eat until 3pm today and was fine. And that was after doing 6 miles on the elliptical. So that's good.
I only intended to do 5 miles on the elliptical, but I was reading at the time. :-)
I think Howard got in it to be heard. And he was. When it got bigger than that he, Trippi, NO ONE was prepared. It was different for Obama--he got in it to win. And did. I'm not seeing Sanders with the necessary underpinning. I wish I did.
Rain and snow yesterday. It's supposed to clear today.
I don't like Hillary Clinton. My assessment is that she is more about ambition than anything else; nor do I think she can lead. The health care plan she advocated was evidence of that. I'm disgusted with the Democratic Party for being spineless, for being every bit as money oriented as the Republican Party. When Democrats up for re-election in 2014 didn't support Obama, that did for me. A billion dollars or more spent on fatuous TV ads, lack of effective legislation in Congress, and indifference to the many flaws in our system means they don't get anything from me, at least so far.
For me, Bernie tells the truth, has integrity, has the energy and drive to at the very least say it aloud, the need for re-orientation of our system. If Bernie is not the nominee, I will vote for Hillary, but not with enthusiasm. I resent the fact that both the Democratic Party and the media are taking it as a given that she will be the nominee.
Not committed yet....but reading and listening to all about both candidates. I am wondering if Debbie ...what's her name.. Of the DNC isn't a big part of the problem.
Michiganders arrived yesterday...and Brenda brought in dinner from our local...very good...Irish pub. Took me all my life to discover boxty! Love it. Tonight it is a healthy pizza and cheesecake. The cheesecake shop is just next door to me....part of the same old Group of buildings that made up the original hardware store.
Beautiful blue skies, sunshine and high 70's ...lovely weather.
Puddle, I totally agree. I want Bernie, but I'm afraid that the Clinton/Wasserman-Schultz machine will bury him. We HAVE to get out and talk to people and not just leave it up to his campaign. When I deliver my voter guides tomorrow, I'll include a Bernie flyer.
Clinton picked up a lot of respect amongst Dems and Independents with her cool and calm. Too bad she is so tied to Wall street and so Hawkish!
Pat, I agree with you on the Media. It's disgusting how they fawn on her and Bernie is just a footnote.
In confidence: I dearly love my son who is currently living home for a time. He has a heart of gold and is loved by all his nieces, because he is an adult who will play with them whatever they want to play. :-) My struggle is that he is big on conspiracy theories. Tonight I mentioned my sadness that there is a 200mph hurricane bearing down on Mexico and he said, "Well, that's what happens with geoengineering." If I say I am frustrated about ISIS, he will say, "Well, the USA supplies ISIS with weapons." Sigh. There is always a grain of truth (sometimes more) in what he says. The USA dropped weapons to Syrian rebels and ISIS got them. There are experiments being done on geoengineering, but it's not as if the government has some sinister thing in the works. I think he gives governments way too much credit. But since he is well versed in what he believes, and I am not well versed in my disbelief, it can be pretty tense around here at times. Fortunately, we love each other. In the end he apologises for telling me more than I can handle…which is sort of a back-handed apology. But he sincerely doesn't mean to upset me, and he sincerely believes this stuff. So unless I want to do way more research and study on these topics, I guess I will have to avoid subjects. But who knew that simply wishing Mexico well would lead to a heated discussion about what weather experiments are possible and problematical. I think my chief tension is that any time he mentions these things to his siblings they go ballistic and he's isolated. Any thoughts, ideas, wisdom to share? Thanks!
Barb, I noted that a NPR pundit this evening spoke in terms of "Clinton and Bernie." Immediately I thought of how they used to do that with women...doctors and bishops and so on who were women were referred to by first name "Dr. Susan", while the guys were referred to by last name "Dr. Smith." Why refer to one candidate by last name and the other by first name, in the same sentence?
Quick hello before Good Night. We just watched the Rachel Maddow interview of Hillary Clinton, and Hillary was excellent, did a fine job. Her answers were thoughtful, energetic, displayed a depth and range of knowledge of many issues. Hmmm. I'm glad that we saw this. Maybe, maybe, a Hillary Clinton Presidency would be effective and wise. I'll think on it.
Also, Listener, I have been in the same situation with a child who disagrees vociferously. I'm not sure I have a good answer, but will think on it and get back to you tomorrow.
Y'know I think what sparked me with my son was that I was very open and compassionate and speaking of my concern for the people of Mexico with a Cat 5 bearing down on them. And with no other conversation he said. "Well that's what happens with geoengineering" … which, as I reflect on it, was hard to shift to just then. I find it a struggle to go from heart open to a statement of blame and condemnation…even if it was aimed at the government. I just can't abide a blanket statement of blame without sources that I recognise. And yet, I feel like an idiot. I don't have the time or energy to research this to hold up my end of the argument. I don't want to join the argument. Shouldn't I want to, for the sake of my son?
Hillary is definitely strong, and I do admire her for that. Yet I do not believe she is the President I need. If we want the status quo, we could vote for Hillary. But as I am ready for some serious change, I am voting for and working for Bernie.
Sorry if my last post sounds terse. It's not intended that way. I am multi-tasking. I support you each in discerning who to vote for and casting that very vote. Just saying where I'm coming from.
82 comments:
Dean is First!!
Bernie is Tops!!
puddle is Awesome!
And yes, you can have my Mini Cooper. ♥
Hope everybody here is okay! ♥
I had a dream last night that I was living on the third floor of an apartment house and, when I looked out the window one day, there was a long white and blue sign which read, "How have you seen Howard Dean today?" And there, through the window across the way was none other than Howard Dean, sporting a big grin. :-D
What a dream, Listener. I still have the HD papers at the opposite end of my bed.
Have not forgotten, had to heal a right bum shoulder first...still not the best. I
think I just need to go in there and work a few minutes at a time...as soon as the
knee therapists go away...I will give it another try,
Love the new page, Puddle. Thank you.. If doctors still made house calls I wouldn't
mine... !!
"What if the Rapture has already happened, and the only one missing is one Tibetan hermit?"
http://www.raptureready.com/
As to the Rapture question, I have more faith in God than that.
No hurry whatsoever, Shirlee!! Even when you send them, I won't have time to look them over until Spring, as I have baby quilts to make and need to learn how to use my treadle, too! :-)
A friend of ours, who taught some of ours to sail, was a Dartmouth professor of medicine, and a doctor into the bargain. He had a small practice in addition to teaching, and still made house calls into his late 70's.
And that was only about 10 years ago…still making house calls!
HI all! My Mom had a Dr who came to her, whether at home or in assisted living, for the last 4 years of her life. She was a wonderful doc. She worked only with the elderly and she really understood the issues that she faced.
Things are great here - I love my new home, it is perfect for me! I am sick of unpacking, with my back and hand issues it is taking me a long time. I am still purging things, when we started packing several weeks before I moved I wasn't sure where I was moving to and do have to trim down some more!
Love you all! Can't wait for the debate next week!!! xoxoxo
Hi Jo,
Great to hear from you and so glad for your happiness in your new home.
Yes, looking forward to the debate next week. The meetups are starting here again in Estes Park. Howard Dean's efforts are still here for us. Instead of campaigning for Howard, we'll very likely be campaigning for Bernie.
Hi to Puddle, Listener, Shirlee, and Barb.
Ah, so good to hear from Jo....and all. Unpacking can take months...well it did here.
One more visit from a physical therapist on Monday...and I am done...for now!
An occupational therapist was here yesterday and neither of us could see why
he was here. I have had mobility and function issues for 28 years..since the
Beginning of RA and have just learned to adapt. Today is TGIB day!! Only visitor
will be Brenda bringing in a Friday night very good pizza.
Need to check out the rapture site...thanks Puddle.
Happy day all.
Great post, Puddle! Thanks for keeping this blog fresh!
Hi to all! Jo, so glad you love where you landed. That is wonderful. Shirlee, yay on not needing the PT anymore and you can proceed on your own.
Listener - bizzy bizzy as always. Keeps you young!
Pat, yes, looking forward to the debate. We had originally thought to have only 4 more people besides ourselves, but now we're up to 10. Folks love coming to our house for political stuff!
much love to all XOXO
Ah, Barb, anyone on the right side of the issues would love to go to your house for political stuff!
I just received my approval to be added to the checklist of my new city so I am ready to vote and the polling place is just down the street from me!
Gorgeous warmish fall day here. Kiddle showing up tomorrow with the grands for the day. Should be great fun!
Unholy Moly! Dean Blogger Donna*in*Evanston's red VW was rear-ended by an 18-wheeler, and she lived to tell about it. Her car, not so much. YIKES!!!
Another of my big posts disappeared! That one had a wee note for each of you, too. :-( I'll see if I can recreate it.
Soooome day! I subbed at the Library, reminding me how much I always liked the tasks of the job, but always was annoyed by the interpersonal crap. Ha! Much better in small doses.
Bill had his annual checkup today and is doing GREAT!! This is pretty significant as many of his siblings aren't doing so well, generally speaking. (Nothing huge, just not altogether well.) My turn is the 29th.
Barb ~ Ah, the thing is I'm an introverted contemplative, so being bizzy wipes me out. Heh. But Grands keep us young. ;-)
Shirlee ~ Hurrah for your newfound freedom!! :-D
puddle ~ Have FUN! How old are the Grands? Da boy is sure to be delighted!
Pat ~ Hallo! I'm looking forward to this debate, and the commentary later by Colbert and others.
{{{ JO! }}} ~ I am tickled you're liking your place so well~!! Take all the time you need. Enjoy each box of surprises. ♥
Tonio's 20, Sam is 17. Whew.
Was thinking yesterday that the hospital gowns in Grey's are the same as when my kids were born, fifty years ago. Even the same damn print. . . . My theory has always been that they are *intended* to break your spirit, and make you more amenable to being pushed around against your best interests. Even if you changed nothing but the print--say a nice jungle print or a plaid?
puddle, there have been some innovations in some places in hospital gown fashion. My gynecologist uses a kind that offers better coverage and comes in nice solids and some funky prints. Some now use velcro instead of ties, too. Even so…!
Looks like our first hard frost is in the pipeline: Sat, Oct 18, 53º/29º
Hi friends,
Warm and breezy fall day here. The weather to be sunny and warm all week. Again, when in my lifetime, have we had 80 degree days in October?
Bernie Sanders was in Boulder this past Saturday. Friends attended the rally at the University of Colorado. There were about 9000 people there, and Bernie gave his standard talk about free universities, the environment, inequalities, and the need for infrastructure repair. It was received with enthusiasm.
I do think we hunger for ethics and morality in government and in our dealings with each other. We've gone so far off the balance of opportunities for everyone and fairness.
I went to a poetry workshop at the Daz Bog coffee house in Loveland, and all our poetry was concerned with aging, mortality, those experiences we are having, will have, as we get older. The poems were moving, well done, had distinctive voices, and we shared our lives with each other. This getting older stuff is challenging, but just different from the challenges we had in other stages. We laughed, a few of us have Irish in our ancestry, talked about keeping on, keeping up our spirits, and our feistiness. It was a fun session. It's good to meet with friends, nurturing, inspiring, and a comfort.
Take good care of yourselves.
So good to have you all here. Love Pat's phrase "this getting older stuff."
Great way to put it in perspective..by separating a little?
Lovely sunshine, blue skies after the storm.
Has anyone heard from/ about Phil? I do miss him
and his poetry.
Love to all ....stay well, etc...
Talking with grandson about computers/internet, and he agreed with me about Facebook making a recent change (adding tons of coding) which makes it impossible for me to load *any* facebook pages. And that there's no way to make them give a damn. Haven't been able to load any facebook pages for a couple of months. Therefore, I miss Phil, and others who only hang there.
Then we talked about back in 2003, when I found this wonderful little tiny blindingly fast browser called firebird, which is now dying of jobbathehutness disease. What no one ever involved in computers learns: HOW TO KEEP ONE'S HANDS OFF OF A GOOD THING.
I'm bummed you can't load FB anymore, puddle. That's not fair. You need some cell towers near you.
Phil hasn't posted any poems lately. But I'll keep an eye out for one!
I doubt that cell towers are headed this way--I live in radio-dark WV. Right between the NSA listening devices, and the Greenbank Telescope. No one cares about us.
OK--media question-- I am just now getting acquainted with Facebook.
I have a Michigan cousin who has asked me to join LinkedIn. Does that
mess up my fairly limited FB contacts or is it complementary?
OMG! Too much to comment on. You're all so busy into your things and I'm happy for that! Jo - YAY for polling places. We are all vote by mail here in WA.
Leaving work early today to go home and get stuff ready for our potluck - debate watch party. going to have two laptops ready for Tweeting!
We watched the debate from home and missed some of the opening statements, so I will want to go back and read those. But I thought that both Bernie and Hillary held their own well. Webb is not my guy. I was more impressed with O'Malley than Chafee, but can't really say why. It wasn't on TV here, as we don't get a CNN channel, so had to live stream it on my Mac. There was a place to vote for who "won" the debate and Bernie got 75% of that vote vs 18% for Hillary and less for the others. That may be a factor of the organised Bernie watch parties, but it still speaks well for Bernie's social media presence. I thought Hillary had good poise, but she didn't impress me with her facts and accomplishments. Bernie did better as the debate progressed and really shined in places. So I am satisfied. I am interested to see the debate that Rachel Maddow moderates. Anderson Cooper did pretty well, given that most debate moderators aren't able to keep a lid on comment length. A lot got discussed for the amount of time. They certainly blew the doors off the Republican debate. (But we knew they would.)
Good Morning,
I appreciate your assessment of the debate, Listener, and I concur that there was no comparison between the Republican debates and this Democratic debate. Was the Republican debate even a debate? It was stupid, juvenile, personality driven, and issues were irrelevant.
Yes, Hillary did well, but when it comes to trust, passion, and idealism, Bernie was the clear winner for me. Hillary was so made up, her hair so sculpted, that I was distracted. She's nearly 70 years old, but looked 30 - how much that represents our culture! Not that I would want her to appear less than attractive. But, it's time for a people revolution, and Bernie's passion and integrity are what we need. Jim Webb and Lincoln Chaffey really didn't stand out much, and Martin O'Malley did a good job, but again, wasn't as impressive as the two front runners.
Congratulations, Democrats, for addressing the issues, for civility, for speaking for the people. If we are to stop the deterioration, the takeover of this country from the most powerful, rich, and ideologically driven, we do have to engage the voters, and Bernie certainly made that clear.
I have to concur with both Listener and Pat. Excellent debate
XXOXOXOXO
Well said, Pat!
So interesting. All news outlets blare the fact that Hillary WON! Hillary was SUPERB! Hillary KILLED it! To bad the polls that those very same outlets said just the opposite with Bernie getting 60 to 80 percent!
Many interesting discussions on FB. One friend, a Hillary supporter, claimed that Bernie was "too angry". I then reminded him that he talked in exactly the same manner at every single dem meeting I've ever seen him at. Is it anger? and should it be? I suspect directed to the inequalities that are happening? What is wrong with that? In which case, I think anger is appropriate. or is it passion? Or a bit of both.
Never ever being negative about Hillary.
He was a bit sheepish in his answer back to me. :o)
XOXOXO
Couldn't stream CNN on my I-Pad....so waited for the clips and comments.
I sort of wish we could have a Dual Presidency....Bernie for vision and passion,
Hillary for toughness. I think Elizabeth Warren embodies both.but we need
her in the Senate...especially if Bernie wins.
Lovely walking weather here....expanding the length of my walks...just to
see if I can. Interesting street people we have....Including a man in his seventies
who is here during the summer....and goes to Florida, Texas and Arizona
for the winter. Usual trek says Brenda....other wisdom from B. "make
friends with a few...they will keep the ones who only want money away."
Love to all, have a happy day...stay well, etc...
Have to say that all things considered, the dems did one whole helluva lot better than the reps. If I wuz a rep, I'd be looking fer a hangin' tree, about now.
Quote of the day "Breathe slowly. Not like an anxious hyena." Dr. Thomas, Mayo
Clinic (Grey's Anatomy)
HAH! I just got an email from Ben Carson at my work email address! Hope he didn't pay a lot for that list! Actually, I hope he paid a WHOLE lot for that list! I unsubscribed immediately.
He was flogging his newsletter. ACK!!!!
Going to be working with a co-worker today to organize the garage here so we can have some room back there.
XOXOXOXO Love to all God's Chillins
Cooling down here...gray and in the sixties ..and damp.
Loved the clips from the Dem's debate. Bernie and Hillary
would make a great team! And what was up with Lincoln
Chaffee? Loved Hilllary's flat NO to his question....she is
done explaining,
defending...and Bernie just doesn't want
to waste any time on that. We have two good ones!!!
Barb, I envy you and your volunteer work. I worked on
Howard's campaign in Palacios. And then on President
Obama's campaign at our county seat in 2008. Great time.
Love to all...
Hi Friends,
Bernie Sanders is on Bill Maher tonight. I will report tomorrow. We have a new granddaughter as of yesterday. Mom and baby doing well, father exhausted, hadn't eaten in 14 hours. We are happy and can't wait to visit.
Beautiful fall day here. I'm still dealing with my disorganization and clutter.
Shirlee, so glad you are walking and feeling better.
Love to everyone.
Winter appears to be a coming in--tomorrow and Sunday, highs in the forties, and lows in the twenties. Pretty though. And truth is I was mighty tired of endless summer.
Everyone sounds good at the same time!! I never take such moments for granted. :-)
{{{ {{ ♥ PAT! ♥ }} }}}
Sweet Congratulations on the birth of your new Grand!!! It's always good to hear that mama and baby are well. Poor Daddy, though! Sounds like he truly laboured too.
We're in Maine for Daughter's baby shower. Beautiful drive and we made it to the largest quilt shop in the USA just a half hour before closing. I did the impossible! I chose the fabric for next grandchild's baby quilt before they closed!! This usually takes me about 4 hours!! :-D
Snuggle up, puddle. The Champlain Valley of Vermont is looking at 20's as well and possibly a dusting of snow into the bargain. It's hard to complain, though, as we're the last county in the State waiting for the first frost.
Plus! The big Grand news of the day is that Eldest*Grand, now age 9, just got eyeglasses! She was having horrific headaches (even migraines), so everyone is super relieved that it's not neurological. They really suit her (she is a bibliophile ~ think: Hermione Granger) and now looks more intelligent than ever. She only needs them for reading, but they gave her what is effectively bifocals, with no prescription for the top part, so she won't need to take them off. She doesn't need them for sports or outdoor activities. Oh how times have changed, as she was hoping she would need glasses! :-)
Listener...love the story about the eyeglasses...I always felt the same way
But had to wait until my late thirties and studying for my graduate degrees
did my dream come true...even if at that time we could barely afford them.
Lovely, lovely weather here now clear skies, sunshine, 70's walkable weather!
Totally signed off from this round of Medicare repair! I am always more than glad
To have them arrive when I have a problem. But glad when they are finished and
I can get my busy life back!:)
Pat--I am finding one way to clear out some things. Offer things you have had and
loved to children or grandchildren as birthday or Christmas gifts. Seems daughter No. 2
who spends a lot of time in her car is wishing for more CDs ...I have some that I can now
Give up...she seems to be delighted.
Everyone OK out there? Chillier here, but bright blue skies.
Had a wonderful afternoon in my neighborhood yesterday.
Longer walk, investigating small side streets, visit to the bookstore
found Pope Francis ' Encyclical on climate change.' Visited with the
Bookman/ owner, stopped to chat with a couple of young street people
who have taken me as one of their friends, wanted to see the books
I had bought and declared that I had a "good spirit." Perfect Greensboro
afternoon.!
Today Brenda arrives with groceries and fixes a fine dinner.
Happy day and love to all.
Low last night was 27º and tonight, 25º--
Winter is icumin in. Lhude sing Goddamn, Raineth drop and staineth slop, And how the wind doth ramm! Sing; Goddamn. Skiddeth bus and ...
..Puddle...and I THOUGHT I hated winter!;). Love your description....
Sunny and chilly here...
Love Bernie....giving a donor's chunk of money..not back..but toagood cause
of his choice.
Love to all...stay warm, etc
Hi Friends,
Yes, winter feels exactly that, Puddle.
Shirlee, thanks for your suggestions as I downsize. Yes, special things for family. But what do I do with thousands of books?
Cloudy, but warm, a splash of rain, sunny, now cloudy again. Very strange weather, in the 70s in October.
Well, not much to say, will vacuum, then wash some windows. Do it now while I have the energy.
It was 17F this morning, and I drove to NH for a meeting. I just got in the car and found...a mosquito! LOL!
Heh, Shirlee, tis Ezra rather than me. . . . http://eatapyzch.blogspot.com/2005/11/svmer-is-icumen-in-lhude-sing-cuccu.html
Puddle thought it seemed familiar .....liked it coming from you!
Pat...do you have any contacts with the book dealers you bought from?
If so, they would remember the kinds of things you have. I started doing this
twenty years ago...when I changed my life. Some of them were rather rare
and they gave me a fair price for them. These were book dealers I worked
with while buying for the Art Library at MSU. Some very nice, then current, art
books I sold to a niece who was studying art. I gave her a price and an installment
plan that fit her budget. I am very lucky now to live where we have several
independant dealers. I only buy from two --they take good care of their stock
and have titles that fit my collection.
Good luck.
Good quote from Argentinian author Borges..."I can go into a library and find a
good book and wish I could buy it...even though I already have two copies at home!"
Kindred Spirit!
Laughing here, a wonderful quote, Shirlee. Yes, a library is a home, and I and some friends have also bought the same book more than once. I think books have been freedom, adventure, solace, spiritual reconciliation, entertainment, so much in my life and they always will be.
Thank you for your suggestions, Shirlee. I'll look into it. For instance, I have a set of the Great Books of the Western World. Even though at graduation from Michigan, I had student debt, enough so that I couldn't think of joining the Peace Corps, I bought them on time. I think they were $450, a huge sum then. Have I read all of them? No. I've read some. So many books I'd like to pass on to my children, but they have their own tastes and interests.
Gradually though, I do give books away to those who would like them. I also have some books I inherited that are a hundred years old, Shakespeare, for instance. There's a book store in Loveland called Dickens. I went in, but there are books everywhere, so many that I can't imagine they would want more from me.
But, I'll keep thinking about it, and I appreciate your experience.
Pat---advice from daughter Brenda..are there schools or libraries or
other institutions who could make use of some of them.
Don't give up on the bookstore in Loveland...they may well want some
of them.
Another thought try Googling Amazon, etc and see what prices
they are asking for the same titles and editions you have. That
might give you a better sense of what you could sell...or not ;)
Always happy to answer a book question!
So many books, so little time... Burt looked at his book and calculated that if he read one a day it would take him many years to get thorough them all. Has that stopped him from buying new ones (or used, as the case may be)? Not a bit! He does manage one or two a week though.
Congratulations to Canada. May we follow suit and elect progressives instead of regressive's!
XOXO!!
Barb, I believe I may be akin to your Burt, as I still buy books and love them, even if I can't sit down and read them all. Sigh. I have stopped making margin notes in most of them now, though, so that somebody else can bear to read the book some day and not get distracted by my thoughts and associations as I read. I got into that habit when studying, but it's not very useful otherwise. :-D
As I mentioned, we went to Maine for Daughter's baby shower, then we were home for a day, then I had a meeting in NH yesterday. And today, not surprisingly, I have early cold symptoms. Hoping to nip it in the bud so that new baby granddaughter can come to dinner tomorrow evening, on the day she turns one month old!!! ♡
We saw a lot of snow showers on our trip(s) as well as beautiful trees, with reds persisting far longer than usual. A banner year for Autumn! And when the temps shifted over to cold we saw rainbows everywhere for a day. How can one not welcome snow when it starts with a Rainbow?! (Snowbow?) I felt like a Gilmore Girl, wanting to rush out into it and turn my face upward to welcome the falling snow!
Speaking of which, I don't know if you ever watched the show The Gilmore Girls, which ended abruptly with some issue or other with the writers and executives. Well! There's talk of finally completing the series via four 90-minute TV movies. I hear they will begin production early next year.
A Bunch of Bookies we are!!!!! Has anyone heard from Jo ....and how the
unpacking is coming along....and is she loving her new home..and neighbors?
Beautiful blue skies and likely 60's or 70's......just took my morning turn around all
the hallways on this floor (twice) in order to keep all parts moving;)!
Love to all. Stay well, etc.
So nice about the Canadians waking up!! Gives me hope for us, lol!
bit
Seems as though bit by bit we are waking up.
This morning an article in our local paper...from
a good reporter...she is tired of being treated like
a customer or consumer by certain parts of our Rep.
run state house. Emphasizes she is a citizen with
basic rights...not to be confused/interchangeable
with financial transactions. Some rights you have
as a citizen...making an appt. with DMV and not just
the processing of the document was her example.
We have a really nasty governor..and his retinue...
I see Jo oh FB almost daily, so she is taking a bit of time out to relax and cruise her friends on FB.
Pat, use a sticky note to write your thoughts and when done, you can thumb through your thoughts. When parting with the book, you can remove all the notes. That should be more satisfying than just not making notations.
Good on you, Shirlee! Glad you are keeping moving. I strive for at least 5000 steps a day and make that or more most days.
Listener, Puddle, sounds like winter is trying very hard to push it's way in!
Much love to all
Hi Friends,
Cold, slimy, muddy, wet day here, but how much we've needed the moisture. The last of the leaves, golden, yellow, red. Winter is on the way.
Thank you again, Shirlee, for your suggestions. About 15 years ago, I attended a multicultural workshop and Alan Lomax, the music historian was there. He gave me a book of his Cantometrics, which the University of Colorado Boulder wanted for its music history library. Your suggestion motivated me to do more of this. I have an extensive library of South Pacific literature. I'll go through it and offer it to the same library. I just need to keep on task.
I'm glad Joe Biden isn't running. Enough is enough. He has served this country most of his adult life and served it well. There is a time to say no and to have a rest from politics.
Lewis Lapham of Harpers magazine has written an article about the money, the bombast, the phoniness, and spectacle of our elections. I have to agree. At least Bernie is telling the truth. Joe Stein of Time Magazine called Bernie an Old Testament Jeremiah, but maybe that's exactly what we need.
Well, off to sit in front of the fire and have a cup of pumpkin tea.
Correction: It's Joe Klein, a columnist who writes for Time Magazine.
Thanks for your report on Jo, Barb. I think of her often and am glad she
seems to have come through some tough times. Her new apartment
sounded wonderful.
Pat, I am glad you have a solution for part of your collection and am sure
you will think of others. I know it was a relief to me....and Brenda ...when the
Book store owner said " in a heartbeat" when I asked him about my collection.
He only really knows what I have purchased from him in the last year and a half.
Taking the rest on faith, I guess!
Lovely. Evening, Ladies."
Just made an egg and chicken breast salad. I'm calling it: The Mother and Child Reunion. It was pretty tasteless. . . .
Michiganders---one son, one daughter are on the way.
Have made it through Michigan AND Ohio! Should be here
by dinner time. Dinner is from the Irish Restaurant a block
or so away...enjoyed in my apartment. Tomorrow maybe
Brenda's good cooking and at her house..
Egg and chicken breast salad SOUNDS delicious, Puddle.
Sunny, 70's day...cooler at night. Love to all........:)!
I am on the mend. After two miserable days with a cold virus, I slept 12 hours last night and this afternoon was able to spend an hour outside putting most of the gardens to bed. It hit 65F and I could not pass up using the warmth to be out there, instead of the 51F predicted for this Saturday. All good. There's something so healing and enriching being out digging in the soil. Ahhhhhhh.
How about a little fresh dill and a hit of pickle juice for that salad, puddle? Oh, and a sprinkling of Bell's or Thyme.
I love, love, love all the book talk here!!! Barb, I'm probably the one who needed the sticky notes idear. It's a good one and I've tried it. But I read too fast for post-its. I often give up on grabbing the pencil and just make a mark in the margin with my thumbnail to let me know this is a key spot to come back to. In fact, I am ONLY doing that anymore, since it won't mean a thing to whomever reads after me, and I can find it easily by holding the book at a certain angle to a light. LOL!
Pat, I rather like the idear of Bernie as an Old Testament Jeremiah. He really is of a deep and abiding quality that is much needed at this time in history in this place. I will get back to volunteering at HQ next week, having needed to decline this week so I wouldn't be bringing this virus into the office. They thanked me. :-)
In the "there's no great loss without some small gain" department, I managed to lose more than a pound in two days from being ill. As I have my 60-year-old checkup a week from today, I am grateful! Ha! I have lost about 8 lbs since August, but it won't count as much more than a pound or two, since I gained a little over the hot summer before I lost some. But! I believe my blood sugar is in a good place because after sleeping for 12 hours, I did not wake up and have to eat right away. In fact, for several reasons I didn't really eat until 3pm today and was fine. And that was after doing 6 miles on the elliptical. So that's good.
I only intended to do 5 miles on the elliptical, but I was reading at the time. :-)
This Sanders Campaign article mentions the Dean Campaign! I just wish they hadn't interviewed Trippi.
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/politics/2015/09/11/bernie-sanders-howard-dean/72076972/
I think Howard got in it to be heard. And he was. When it got bigger than that he, Trippi, NO ONE was prepared. It was different for Obama--he got in it to win. And did. I'm not seeing Sanders with the necessary underpinning. I wish I did.
Good Morning,
Rain and snow yesterday. It's supposed to clear today.
I don't like Hillary Clinton. My assessment is that she is more about ambition than anything else; nor do I think she can lead. The health care plan she advocated was evidence of that. I'm disgusted with the Democratic Party for being spineless, for being every bit as money oriented as the Republican Party. When Democrats up for re-election in 2014 didn't support Obama, that did for me. A billion dollars or more spent on fatuous TV ads, lack of effective legislation in Congress, and indifference to the many flaws in our system means they don't get anything from me, at least so far.
For me, Bernie tells the truth, has integrity, has the energy and drive to at the very least say it aloud, the need for re-orientation of our system. If Bernie is not the nominee, I will vote for Hillary, but not with enthusiasm. I resent the fact that both the Democratic Party and the media are taking it as a given that she will be the nominee.
And so much for my opinion! Have a good day.
Not committed yet....but reading and listening to all about
both candidates. I am wondering if Debbie ...what's her name..
Of the DNC isn't a big part of the problem.
Michiganders arrived yesterday...and Brenda brought in dinner
from our local...very good...Irish pub. Took me all my life to
discover boxty! Love it. Tonight it is a healthy pizza and cheesecake.
The cheesecake shop is just next door to me....part of the same old
Group of buildings that made up the original hardware store.
Beautiful blue skies, sunshine and high 70's ...lovely weather.
Get and stay well, Listener.. Love to all!
Puddle, I totally agree. I want Bernie, but I'm afraid that the Clinton/Wasserman-Schultz machine will bury him. We HAVE to get out and talk to people and not just leave it up to his campaign. When I deliver my voter guides tomorrow, I'll include a Bernie flyer.
Clinton picked up a lot of respect amongst Dems and Independents with her cool and calm. Too bad she is so tied to Wall street and so Hawkish!
Pat, I agree with you on the Media. It's disgusting how they fawn on her and Bernie is just a footnote.
Oh, and XOXOXX to all!
In confidence: I dearly love my son who is currently living home for a time. He has a heart of gold and is loved by all his nieces, because he is an adult who will play with them whatever they want to play. :-) My struggle is that he is big on conspiracy theories. Tonight I mentioned my sadness that there is a 200mph hurricane bearing down on Mexico and he said, "Well, that's what happens with geoengineering." If I say I am frustrated about ISIS, he will say, "Well, the USA supplies ISIS with weapons." Sigh. There is always a grain of truth (sometimes more) in what he says. The USA dropped weapons to Syrian rebels and ISIS got them. There are experiments being done on geoengineering, but it's not as if the government has some sinister thing in the works. I think he gives governments way too much credit. But since he is well versed in what he believes, and I am not well versed in my disbelief, it can be pretty tense around here at times. Fortunately, we love each other. In the end he apologises for telling me more than I can handle…which is sort of a back-handed apology. But he sincerely doesn't mean to upset me, and he sincerely believes this stuff. So unless I want to do way more research and study on these topics, I guess I will have to avoid subjects. But who knew that simply wishing Mexico well would lead to a heated discussion about what weather experiments are possible and problematical. I think my chief tension is that any time he mentions these things to his siblings they go ballistic and he's isolated. Any thoughts, ideas, wisdom to share? Thanks!
Barb, I noted that a NPR pundit this evening spoke in terms of "Clinton and Bernie." Immediately I thought of how they used to do that with women...doctors and bishops and so on who were women were referred to by first name "Dr. Susan", while the guys were referred to by last name "Dr. Smith." Why refer to one candidate by last name and the other by first name, in the same sentence?
Quick hello before Good Night. We just watched the Rachel Maddow interview of Hillary Clinton, and Hillary was excellent, did a fine job. Her answers were thoughtful, energetic, displayed a depth and range of knowledge of many issues. Hmmm. I'm glad that we saw this. Maybe, maybe, a Hillary Clinton Presidency would be effective and wise. I'll think on it.
Also, Listener, I have been in the same situation with a child who disagrees vociferously. I'm not sure I have a good answer, but will think on it and get back to you tomorrow.
Night Friends.
Thank-you, Pat. At least love wins still.
New thread!!!
Y'know I think what sparked me with my son was that I was very open and compassionate and speaking of my concern for the people of Mexico with a Cat 5 bearing down on them. And with no other conversation he said. "Well that's what happens with geoengineering" … which, as I reflect on it, was hard to shift to just then. I find it a struggle to go from heart open to a statement of blame and condemnation…even if it was aimed at the government. I just can't abide a blanket statement of blame without sources that I recognise. And yet, I feel like an idiot. I don't have the time or energy to research this to hold up my end of the argument. I don't want to join the argument. Shouldn't I want to, for the sake of my son?
Hillary is definitely strong, and I do admire her for that. Yet I do not believe she is the President I need. If we want the status quo, we could vote for Hillary. But as I am ready for some serious change, I am voting for and working for Bernie.
Can you see this graph?
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12122551_1186850867996240_3144904442291941358_n.jpg?oh=7f0352151a9d6270010d0fc72e63b57f&oe=56CCB738
In 1980, we got Reagan and trickle down economics. How's that working out? The graph says it all. And since the greedy still weren't satisfied, they shipped the work overseas, so they could make things more cheaply and get more profits…while the rest of us had recession. Hillary has donations from Wall Street: Bernie doesn't. If you are fed up with the status quo, vote for Bernie.
Sorry if my last post sounds terse. It's not intended that way. I am multi-tasking. I support you each in discerning who to vote for and casting that very vote. Just saying where I'm coming from.
Post a Comment