Oh my, Puddle.....you do bring back memories of Christmas on the Texas Gulf Coast. It wasn't this elegant...but the skies were blue, the weather was warm...70's.....and so NO snow or ice. Loved it.
But, love it here...sun trying to break through..in the sixties AND Brenda arriving at 2:00 with food and goodies. Then again tomorrow. Merry Christmas.
Heat's been off for 24 hours here! Lots of rain, river sheeting over the bridge at noon. Bet we'd have a foot of snow if it had been cold, lol! Feeling sweet and peaceful here with my boon companion.
The Dead By Rupert Brooke These hearts were woven of human joys and cares, Washed marvellously with sorrow, swift to mirth. The years had given them kindness. Dawn was theirs, And sunset, and the colours of the earth. These had seen movement, and heard music; known Slumber and waking; loved; gone proudly friended; Felt the quick stir of wonder; sat alone; Touched flowers and furs and cheeks. All this is ended.
There are waters blown by changing winds to laughter And lit by the rich skies, all day. And after, Frost, with a gesture, stays the waves that dance And wandering loveliness. He leaves a white Unbroken glory, a gathered radiance, A width, a shining peace, under the night.
Thank you, Puddle, for the beautiful, stunning poem by Rupert Brooke. I'll read it again.
And from me, a small offering: Happy Christmas friends.
A small offering:
Christmas Morning Looking Out at Storm Mountain
Oh rest, Sweet Buddha along the top of the mountain as if peace were possible and we might dream of stars and translucent skies that life was forever a grace beautiful and full and love was never lost.
Have a happy visit, Puddle. Lovely afternoon with Brenda yesterday....when she was leaving we walked down to the next block together. There was a full moon with a skim of clouds. I think she finally got a clear shot. It was 70's and just lovely. Happy Day all.
Company sneaked away before seven this morning. The intent was not to wake me, but it didn't work. Seems they didn't see me waving from the porch, though. Lovely, swift, productive visit.
Funny: gave my granddaughter a really nice, pink handled tool kit. Turns out, so did her dad, for her birthday, earlier this year. Great minds. . . . I suggested that two might not be bad: one for the dorm room and one for the car. He agreed.
Don't know how well we know her, but certainly we parent the same, lol! I sent him out into the world with knowledge of how to do laundry and a copy of The Joy of Cooking, grin.
The Joy of Cooking was a treasure for me...not known in my family as a joyful cook. Four of my five are excellent cooks. They are the ones always hanging out in our kitchen making sure I was doing things right..finally turned a lot of It over to them ...and let them have at it.
Gray and damp in GSO today...good day to stay inside and peruse some new books--Wendell Berry and J.R.R. Tolkien.
Beautiful, sunny, cloudless day, and the temperature is 40 degrees. We are basking in the warmth. It has been cold here, in the single digits and teens, and I wear a hat band, a scarf, three layers of clothes. I don't think I would ever like living in Siberia or Alaska. I'm glad to hear that Christmas holidays were good. Somehow this year has been less festive and less cheerful, in my opinion, than others, but one person has died, another has cancer, another is in the hospital with pneumonia, and that casts a pall, brings sadness with it. But, everyone made the efforts, and the food and conversation was good.
This is the year to continue to simplify, order clutter, and think each day is new and I will appreciate it.
hi Ladies! all is well here at Great Cedars. I am enjoying my birdfeeders, they have been filled the last 2 days, the dear souls must know that a bad storm is coming.
I saw this quote on my community forum and must share it here, with you lovers of books!
In the case of good books, the point is not how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you. -Mortimer J. Adler, philosopher, educator, and author (28 Dec 1902-2001)
Not the phone again! Argh!! We hates it when the phone is fritzy, we does! Hoping they set you to rights swiftly (for a change)!
17F and fine snow falling, with sleet and freezing rain promised for Tuesday. Bill and Son each feel compelled to go in to work, one early morning and the other mid-morning, and home similarly later on. Sigh. As for me, I'm waiting until Wednesday to go to the post office. Not only don't I want to drive in it, I don't want to ask truckers to drive in it either.
Ah, yes! Colder weather here also....gray, rainy, drippy low 60's. I am so happy to be retired....especially when a day like this turns up. No need to get out in the damp and drip.
Good to see all here...even our Jo!
Our family is waiting for a baby boy...due the 31. He needs to hurry...his slim Mama is ALL baby now!
Ah, everyone still celebrating or re-couping from Yuletide festivities? Rainy and flood watch here. Brenda's sources say our ground is so saturated that we have lost some large trees. GSO prides itself on taking good care of our greenery.
Waiting now for the young therapist who comes and takes the wretched kinks out of my neck and upper back. Neck kink left from surgery two years ago...back is mostly RA related. It does help for most of a week...and I get a good nap out of it!!!
Glad for your therapist. Pain is all encompassing. It's so hard to concentrate on anything else when we are in pain.
It's been cold here in the single digits. We stopped at a store in Estes Park, and the owner said that we've been having humidity like they do in Chicago - 70%, 50%. No wonder it's been so frigid. We're used to a dry cold here.
I'm sorry to hear of the loss of trees, and 13 states affected by flooding. Climate change is certainly with us. I'm hoping we can work to stabilize it with our use of renewables, recycling, protecting habitat for birds, insects, fish, animals, and all others that make this planet livable. I read somewhere, oh, I know, it was E.O.Wison's The Meaning of Human Existence, that we haven't taken into account how much we depend on all life for our own lives.
Well, quiet day here, wishing you all a Happy New Year.
Been really enjoying the Seattle background shots in Grey's. Also wonderful to know that even if it's been raining, you can sit on a metal park bench without getting your bum wet. Wonderful place, Seattle.
Happy Baby Boy Due Date! I wonder what the REAL date is! :-) Will he be a tax deduction or a firecracker? ;-)
Daughter in Maine has less than 5 weeks to go, officially.
♡ Hurrah for baby boys! ♡
We had family over on Wednesday night, so my day was filled with cleaning and cooking and prep, and it was all totally worth it! We got to see VT*Grandson and Littlest Granddaughter!!! :-D
Got all my Thank-yous written, and tomorrow is my personal Boxing Day. Nice to end the year with everything done…
╰☆╮Dean blogger Maura posted tonight about an idea she tried this past year. Write down one happy thing a day, put it in a jar, and read all of the papers next New Year's Eve. Wouldn't that have been a marvelous way to spend this evening? She said last year they only managed to find time to do it 55 days, but 55 happy memories from the past year sounds good, and there were some they would have forgotten about. I think it sounds like a pretty easy way to journal! Actually, you can include anything you think you'd like to remember or reflect on at the close of the year. I suppose it doesn't even have to be a happy item; it could be about something or someone who is important to you this year. I'm going to do it in 2016. Who's with me? ╰☆╮
Baby boy arrived 2:40 AM Jan.l. He is fine and healthy but had to arrive via Emergency C-section for his Mom. I have a grandson b. 1973 New Years Day....and he is delighted to have someone share his day!
I haven't checked the outside temp...but seems in the 60's....and we have some people from the complex celebrating in the swimming pool! Seems a bit chilly to me for that...ah, youth.
That pool is just below the floor to ceiling sliding windows and balcony in my 2nd floor apartment. It still gets lots of use on lol days! Especially week-ends and evenings in any good weather. 30 and 40 year olds mostly often with a 60's couple. Roberto is a jazz musician who plays with his Band in local downtown restaurants, etc. On swimming days he seems to be the Papa sitting on the edge of the pool either or answering questions from some other musicians who live here.
They do seem to have a lot of fun....Brenda and I enjoy them.
New baby, Mom, Dad and all the rest of the family are happy tonight...new baby came through fine....the cord was wrapped around his neck three times, hence the c-section. Love to all.
When my second was born, they said the same. I watched as they threw the cord out (baby was on my tummy, and they were throwing the cord up on him)--must have been eight or nine feet of cord. Universe knew he needed a lot of room to run, grin.
We went out to see the new Star Wars movie tonight (because Son really wanted to go and we didn't want him to have to go alone.) Hadn't seen one since the first one, and feel I hadn't missed anything. LOL.
Seeing all the characters so old makes me feel a bit old myself. I have to say I thought the years were kindest to Luke...who looked fairly wimpy in the first movie. ;-)
Lots of blast blast blast and, really, (not a spoiler as it's in all the media and trailers) a big version of the Death Star is the best they could come up with? I guess they were too bent on destruction to be creative. ;-) I liked seeing the Tie Fighters again. Zippy, like my Mini. :-)
I liked the new female lead character most, I think.
╰☆♡☆╮Sweet Congratulations, Shirlee!! ╰☆♡☆╮ Does the little guy have a name yet? How big was he? What a relief that he came through fine!! Poor Mama, but lucky too. So, was he born on New Year's Day, then? Around what time? Did he get to be first?
Listener. 2:40 AM Jan. 1.....8 lbs 12 oz. 21.5 in. long.. Brady Cole Adrion. First baby for my youngest gdaughter and her husband. She is my son's daughter. One of his sons lost a baby at birth a year or so ago. So, happy it did not happen again....son and wife are very loving and doting gparents.
Thanks for asking...
Lovely sunny day here....down to the book store to find the baby's first book!
Ohhh, how sweet! A big boy for sure, and I love his name!!
Very relieved for you all that this one made it. =Whew!= Heartbroken over the one that got away…especially hard when you've carried a baby to full term, too. Hoping they have a beautiful experience yet. <3
I got a cd of lullabies by Laurelynn Dossett....a very good regional musician and composer, and a small mostly bright color picture book with minimal text about a small boy and his cat. Nothing important just the idea of a book...they will go into a very small canvas book bag that has "Read To Me" on the front. Start 'em right is my motto!
Lovely, Shirlee!! Remembering back--Goodnight Moon was the winner from the first's childhood. The second was neither a reader, nor listener. . . . He couldn't even sit still long enough to watch a TV commercial until he was eight. Only book I know for sure he ever read was The Catcher in the Rye. . . . (We were in China, no TV, and I think he was just enormously in need of English from someone other than his mother.)
One of my favourite wordless books is Deep in the Forest by Brinton Turkle. It's the Goldilocks and the Three Bears story turned inside out and makes much more sense. And the artistry is wonderful!
In the story a little bear cub is shown with her mother and two playful siblings. In the next scene a human family who lives in the woods goes out for a morning walk while their porridge cools. They leave the door ajar and the little bear cub slips in, following the scent of food. She does the usual bit and the littlest bowl falls and breaks. She flees the table and explores the various chairs, playing pony-ride on the little rocker until it tips over and breaks. While the family is near to returning, he goes to explore the bedroom. When he hears them returning, he hides in the bedclothes of the littlest bed.
The parents and their blonde-haired young daughter return and discover the carnage. As the parents puzzle over the mess on the table, the little girl finds her broken bowl and sobs. As the parents pick up the toppled chairs, the little girl finds her broken rocker and wails. Next they go into the bedroom. As the parents note the featherbed all torn up, and the big bed all amiss, the little girl's eyes widen as she sees…. peeking out from under her sheets …. a bear!
Suddenly everyone is chasing the bear out with a broom!! The cub gets away, and the little girl silently watches the cub slip away and doesn't tell her parents.
The last scene is the little cub returning home and she "does-noses" with her mother, while her two siblings tussle nearby. :-)
Thanks, Puddle. Brenda picked the little bag and contents up and will get it in the mail. Local branch of post office very near her house. I am still looking for children's books which depict mixed race families. The Civil Rights Museum is herein GSO. Their gift shop did not have any thing for mixed race children...several nice things for black children. The manager said he would put a word in the ears ..of the board...I guess. We do have a new generation of mixed race kids who need both sides of their history...my two ggrandaughters in Baltimore need these...so I keep looking...besides it is fun! Sleep well all.
congratulations Shirlee! here are a few books to look over, titles to give your book people to look for. I just googled on Amazon and it looks like a few good ones here.
On the list that Jo sent I like that first Mem Fox book and the Global Babies book is fabulous! Highly recommended! There is also a Mothers and Babies book of the same ilk, basically showing that around the world there are many styles of parenting.
The hat the baby on the Global Babies book is wearing? I have one just like it, I found at a local market near Kun Ming, and brought it home with me. The little silver ornies across the front are tiny Buddhas holding lotuses.
It is frigid out and our parking lot is a sheet of ice - came home from the grocery store about 6 pm last night and almost fell several times. The guy doing the salting has not done a thing since the snow began, this better change before someone gets hurt!! People can't get out of our underground parking garage because the lazy (expletive here) can't get off his ass to salt it. Trouble is he's the brother in law of the building owner and he is lazy, I'm not surprised that he is shirking this new duty of his. end of rant, LOL!!
Glad you got reset, puddle. Exciting season, so far, eh?
Root*Center*Son has us watching the movie trilogy The Librarian. Ever seen it? It's all action and humor, steeped in artifacts, facts, some magic and interesting plot twists. It's a little like National Treasure but a LOT more creative and fun. :-) Apparently after the trilogy did so well, they made a TV series out of it, which has just completed its 2nd season with a 3rd in the works. Well acted, and the main characters are likable. After all, two of them are Jane Curtain and Bob Newhart! Ha!
= JO!= Is there anyone else to contact about the ice? What about a call to the Champlain Valley Agency on Aging? Perhaps if they knew of the situation they could contact certain officials who could lean on the owner? They are all about seniors not falling down!!
(802) 865-0360 Hours are 8:30-4:30 M-F Keep us posted!
8 degrees and sunny, up much from well below zero this morning.
listener they are working on it - still some debate re: who does it, mgmt co or owner. I emailed the property manager and they got someone right on it and said that if it got slippery out there again to call them or their answering svc immediately. I think the dolt who lives here and was supposed to do it plans to do it when he wants, not when it's needed so I don't think they'll be using his svcs at all. thank you for your concern and for the number, I will hold onto it!!
being a new building and the unusual situation with mgmt. co/owner there may be a few things that have to be worked out as we go along. I think they've got the plowing and salting figured out. ;-)
Thanks, Puddle. Brenda picked the little bag and contents up and will get it in the mail. Local branch of post office very near her house. I am still looking for children's books which depict mixed race families. The Civil Rights Museum is herein GSO. Their gift shop did not have any thing for mixed race children...several nice things for black children. The manager said he would put a word in the ears ..of the board...I guess. We do have a new generation of mixed race kids who need both sides of their history...my two ggrandaughters in Baltimore need these...so I keep looking...besides it is fun! Sleep well all.
69 comments:
DEAN!
Headed to family time! May not be able to post again until Sunday…we'll see.
But do, all, have a lovely time welcoming Christmas! ☆
Oh my, Puddle.....you do bring back memories of
Christmas on the Texas Gulf Coast. It wasn't this
elegant...but the skies were blue, the weather was
warm...70's.....and so NO snow or ice. Loved it.
But, love it here...sun trying to break through..in the
sixties AND Brenda arriving at 2:00 with food and
goodies. Then again tomorrow. Merry Christmas.
Heat's been off for 24 hours here! Lots of rain, river sheeting over the bridge at noon. Bet we'd have a foot of snow if it had been cold, lol! Feeling sweet and peaceful here with my boon companion.
A gift--just because it's so lovely.
The Dead
By Rupert Brooke
These hearts were woven of human joys and cares,
Washed marvellously with sorrow, swift to mirth.
The years had given them kindness. Dawn was theirs,
And sunset, and the colours of the earth.
These had seen movement, and heard music; known
Slumber and waking; loved; gone proudly friended;
Felt the quick stir of wonder; sat alone;
Touched flowers and furs and cheeks. All this is ended.
There are waters blown by changing winds to laughter
And lit by the rich skies, all day. And after,
Frost, with a gesture, stays the waves that dance
And wandering loveliness. He leaves a white
Unbroken glory, a gathered radiance,
A width, a shining peace, under the night.
A smile here. Glad for peace and sweetness. Glad for sun and 60 degree temperatures. Merry Christmas dear friends.
Yes, yes......thank you all for your talents, wisdom,
and kindness. Thank you Puddle, for new, always
appropriate graphics....and many other things!
We are back to sunshine and high 60's...love it.
Brenda back this afternoon to continue the festivities!
Happy, happy day to all!
Happy Christmas friends.
Thank you, Puddle, for the beautiful, stunning poem by Rupert Brooke. I'll read it again.
And from me, a small offering:
Happy Christmas friends.
A small offering:
Christmas Morning Looking Out at Storm Mountain
Oh rest, Sweet Buddha
along the top of the mountain
as if peace were possible
and we might dream
of stars and translucent skies
that life was forever a grace
beautiful and full
and love was never lost.
There was this morning
angels!
What are angels
anyway?
Just feathers
and sky
and beauty
and hope.
Lovely warm quiet day. Kiddle and father coming tomorrow, and staying overnight.
Warm, gray, river running at 95% of culverts. Family on the way. Life is good.
Have a happy visit, Puddle. Lovely afternoon with
Brenda yesterday....when she was leaving we walked
down to the next block together. There was a full moon
with a skim of clouds. I think she finally got a clear shot.
It was 70's and just lovely. Happy Day all.
☆ Christmastide Greetings, dear ones! We made it home safely, after a very sweet Christmas Eve and Day in Maine! More when I can. ☆
Company sneaked away before seven this morning. The intent was not to wake me, but it didn't work. Seems they didn't see me waving from the porch, though. Lovely, swift, productive visit.
Funny: gave my granddaughter a really nice, pink handled tool kit. Turns out, so did her dad, for her birthday, earlier this year. Great minds. . . . I suggested that two might not be bad: one for the dorm room and one for the car. He agreed.
Sweet that you both know her so well…!
Don't know how well we know her, but certainly we parent the same, lol! I sent him out into the world with knowledge of how to do laundry and a copy of The Joy of Cooking, grin.
The Joy of Cooking was a treasure for me...not known
in my family as a joyful cook. Four of my five are excellent
cooks. They are the ones always hanging out in our kitchen
making sure I was doing things right..finally turned a lot of
It over to them ...and let them have at it.
Gray and damp in GSO today...good day to stay inside
and peruse some new books--Wendell Berry and
J.R.R. Tolkien.
Love to all....enjoy this peaceful week.
Hi Friends,
Beautiful, sunny, cloudless day, and the temperature is 40 degrees. We are basking in the warmth. It has been cold here, in the single digits and teens, and I wear a hat band, a scarf, three layers of clothes. I don't think I would ever like living in Siberia or Alaska.
I'm glad to hear that Christmas holidays were good. Somehow this year has been less festive and less cheerful, in my opinion, than others, but one person has died, another has cancer, another is in the hospital with pneumonia, and that casts a pall, brings sadness with it. But, everyone made the efforts, and the food and conversation was good.
This is the year to continue to simplify, order clutter, and think each day is new and I will appreciate it.
My love to you all and good wishes for 2016.
hi Ladies! all is well here at Great Cedars. I am enjoying my birdfeeders, they have been filled the last 2 days, the dear souls must know that a bad storm is coming.
I saw this quote on my community forum and must share it here, with you lovers of books!
In the case of good books, the point is not how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you. -Mortimer J. Adler, philosopher, educator, and author (28 Dec 1902-2001)
Love you all! It makes me very happy that we are all here together. <3
It's great to hear from you, Jo.
Love to you.
Bill and I got engaged 43 years ago tonight. :-)
Cool to cold today, after 72º yesterday. Phone's been acting up since yesterday. Called in. Repair promised sometime in the next 4 days. fun
Not the phone again! Argh!! We hates it when the phone is fritzy, we does! Hoping they set you to rights swiftly (for a change)!
17F and fine snow falling, with sleet and freezing rain promised for Tuesday. Bill and Son each feel compelled to go in to work, one early morning and the other mid-morning, and home similarly later on. Sigh. As for me, I'm waiting until Wednesday to go to the post office. Not only don't I want to drive in it, I don't want to ask truckers to drive in it either.
Everybody take care! ♥
Ah, yes! Colder weather here also....gray, rainy, drippy low 60's.
I am so happy to be retired....especially when a day like this
turns up. No need to get out in the damp and drip.
Good to see all here...even our Jo!
Our family is waiting for a baby boy...due the 31.
He needs to hurry...his slim Mama is ALL baby now!
Love to all, stay warm!
Ah, everyone still celebrating or re-couping from
Yuletide festivities? Rainy and flood watch here.
Brenda's sources say our ground is so saturated
that we have lost some large trees. GSO prides
itself on taking good care of our greenery.
Waiting now for the young therapist who comes
and takes the wretched kinks out of my neck and
upper back. Neck kink left from surgery two years
ago...back is mostly RA related. It does help for
most of a week...and I get a good nap out of it!!!
Love to all, stay well, warm etc.!
Hi Shirlee,
Glad for your therapist. Pain is all encompassing. It's so hard to concentrate on anything else when we are in pain.
It's been cold here in the single digits. We stopped at a store in Estes Park, and the owner said that we've been having humidity like they do in Chicago - 70%, 50%. No wonder it's been so frigid. We're used to a dry cold here.
I'm sorry to hear of the loss of trees, and 13 states affected by flooding. Climate change is certainly with us. I'm hoping we can work to stabilize it with our use of renewables, recycling, protecting habitat for birds, insects, fish, animals, and all others that make this planet livable. I read somewhere, oh, I know, it was E.O.Wison's The Meaning of Human Existence, that we haven't taken into account how much we depend on all life for our own lives.
Well, quiet day here, wishing you all a Happy New Year.
Should be E.O Wilson.
Phone line seems a bit better today--at least *some* pages are loading. May be it's fixed?
Good luck with that grandbaby's arrival, Shirlee!
That interdependency thing does seem to be a hard one for much of the human race to grok.
Been really enjoying the Seattle background shots in Grey's. Also wonderful to know that even if it's been raining, you can sit on a metal park bench without getting your bum wet. Wonderful place, Seattle.
Happy Baby Boy Due Date! I wonder what the REAL date is! :-) Will he be a tax deduction or a firecracker? ;-)
Daughter in Maine has less than 5 weeks to go, officially.
♡ Hurrah for baby boys! ♡
We had family over on Wednesday night, so my day was filled with cleaning and cooking and prep, and it was all totally worth it! We got to see VT*Grandson and Littlest Granddaughter!!! :-D
Got all my Thank-yous written, and tomorrow is my personal Boxing Day. Nice to end the year with everything done…
…well, excepting for baby boy's baby quilt. ;-)
Dank, dim, cool day to go out on.
Happy New Year!!
Happy Happy New Year from the East coast! We already got into the New Year and it looks all shiny and good! ♡
╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮
╰☆╮ It's 2016 and Dean is still First! ╰☆╮
╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮╰☆╮
I removed my first artistic attempt. LOL!
╰☆╮Dean blogger Maura posted tonight about an idea she tried this past year. Write down one happy thing a day, put it in a jar, and read all of the papers next New Year's Eve. Wouldn't that have been a marvelous way to spend this evening? She said last year they only managed to find time to do it 55 days, but 55 happy memories from the past year sounds good, and there were some they would have forgotten about. I think it sounds like a pretty easy way to journal! Actually, you can include anything you think you'd like to remember or reflect on at the close of the year. I suppose it doesn't even have to be a happy item; it could be about something or someone who is important to you this year. I'm going to do it in 2016. Who's with me? ╰☆╮
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Listener we often do that for Thanksgiving.
Baby boy arrived 2:40 AM Jan.l. He is fine and healthy but had to arrive
via Emergency C-section for his Mom. I have a grandson b. 1973 New
Years Day....and he is delighted to have someone share his day!
I haven't checked the outside temp...but seems
in the 60's....and we have some people from
the complex celebrating in the swimming
pool! Seems a bit chilly to me for that...ah,
youth.
Happy New Year all.
Checked temp.it is in the fifties! Not sure if the folks in the pool were sobering up
..or what....
Maybe wanting to be able to brag about swimming outside on the first day of the year. I remember that pool from the cast party, lol!
Sunny right now in the middle of clouds all around the edges. 34º!
That pool is just below the floor to ceiling sliding windows
and balcony in my 2nd floor apartment. It still gets lots of
use on lol days! Especially week-ends and evenings in
any good weather. 30 and 40 year olds mostly often with
a 60's couple. Roberto is a jazz musician who plays with his
Band in local downtown restaurants, etc. On swimming days
he seems to be the Papa sitting on the edge of the pool either
or answering questions from some other musicians who live here.
They do seem to have a lot of fun....Brenda and I enjoy them.
New baby, Mom, Dad and all the rest of the family are happy
tonight...new baby came through fine....the cord was wrapped
around his neck three times, hence the c-section.
Love to all.
When my second was born, they said the same. I watched as they threw the cord out (baby was on my tummy, and they were throwing the cord up on him)--must have been eight or nine feet of cord. Universe knew he needed a lot of room to run, grin.
We went out to see the new Star Wars movie tonight (because Son really wanted to go and we didn't want him to have to go alone.) Hadn't seen one since the first one, and feel I hadn't missed anything. LOL.
Seeing all the characters so old makes me feel a bit old myself. I have to say I thought the years were kindest to Luke...who looked fairly wimpy in the first movie. ;-)
Lots of blast blast blast and, really, (not a spoiler as it's in all the media and trailers) a big version of the Death Star is the best they could come up with? I guess they were too bent on destruction to be creative. ;-) I liked seeing the Tie Fighters again. Zippy, like my Mini. :-)
I liked the new female lead character most, I think.
╰☆♡☆╮Sweet Congratulations, Shirlee!! ╰☆♡☆╮
Does the little guy have a name yet? How big was he? What a relief that he came through fine!! Poor Mama, but lucky too.
So, was he born on New Year's Day, then? Around what time? Did he get to be first?
So happy for you all!! =♡=
Listener. 2:40 AM Jan. 1.....8 lbs 12 oz. 21.5 in. long.. Brady Cole Adrion.
First baby for my youngest gdaughter and her husband. She is my son's
daughter. One of his sons lost a baby at birth a year or so ago. So, happy
it did not happen again....son and wife are very loving and doting gparents.
Thanks for asking...
Lovely sunny day here....down to the book store to find the baby's first book!
Love you all....stay well.
Ohhh, how sweet! A big boy for sure, and I love his name!!
Very relieved for you all that this one made it. =Whew!= Heartbroken over the one that got away…especially hard when you've carried a baby to full term, too. Hoping they have a beautiful experience yet. <3
♡
What book did you chose? :-)
I got a cd of lullabies by Laurelynn Dossett....a very good regional
musician and composer, and a small mostly bright color picture book
with minimal text about a small boy and his cat. Nothing important
just the idea of a book...they will go into a very small canvas book bag
that has "Read To Me" on the front. Start 'em right is my motto!
Lovely, Shirlee!! Remembering back--Goodnight Moon was the winner from the first's childhood. The second was neither a reader, nor listener. . . . He couldn't even sit still long enough to watch a TV commercial until he was eight. Only book I know for sure he ever read was The Catcher in the Rye. . . . (We were in China, no TV, and I think he was just enormously in need of English from someone other than his mother.)
One of my favourite wordless books is Deep in the Forest by Brinton Turkle. It's the Goldilocks and the Three Bears story turned inside out and makes much more sense. And the artistry is wonderful!
In the story a little bear cub is shown with her mother and two playful siblings. In the next scene a human family who lives in the woods goes out for a morning walk while their porridge cools. They leave the door ajar and the little bear cub slips in, following the scent of food. She does the usual bit and the littlest bowl falls and breaks. She flees the table and explores the various chairs, playing pony-ride on the little rocker until it tips over and breaks. While the family is near to returning, he goes to explore the bedroom. When he hears them returning, he hides in the bedclothes of the littlest bed.
The parents and their blonde-haired young daughter return and discover the carnage. As the parents puzzle over the mess on the table, the little girl finds her broken bowl and sobs. As the parents pick up the toppled chairs, the little girl finds her broken rocker and wails. Next they go into the bedroom. As the parents note the featherbed all torn up, and the big bed all amiss, the little girl's eyes widen as she sees…. peeking out from under her sheets …. a bear!
Suddenly everyone is chasing the bear out with a broom!! The cub gets away, and the little girl silently watches the cub slip away and doesn't tell her parents.
The last scene is the little cub returning home and she "does-noses" with her mother, while her two siblings tussle nearby. :-)
Thanks, Puddle. Brenda picked the little bag and contents up
and will get it in the mail. Local branch of post office very near her
house. I am still looking for children's books which depict mixed race
families. The Civil Rights Museum is herein GSO. Their gift shop
did not have any thing for mixed race children...several nice things
for black children. The manager said he would put a word in the ears
..of the board...I guess. We do have a new generation of mixed race
kids who need both sides of their history...my two ggrandaughters in
Baltimore need these...so I keep looking...besides it is fun!
Sleep well all.
yay for Ally!
congratulations Shirlee! here are a few books to look over, titles to give your book people to look for. I just googled on Amazon and it looks like a few good ones here.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=multicultural+children%27s+books
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=multicultural+children%27s+books
What a lovely looking list, Jo! Thank you.
Sorry about the confusion. The little bear cub is a "she." I wrote "he" in one sentence by mistake.
On the list that Jo sent I like that first Mem Fox book and the Global Babies book is fabulous! Highly recommended! There is also a Mothers and Babies book of the same ilk, basically showing that around the world there are many styles of parenting.
The hat the baby on the Global Babies book is wearing? I have one just like it, I found at a local market near Kun Ming, and brought it home with me. The little silver ornies across the front are tiny Buddhas holding lotuses.
I love knowing that about the hat, puddle!! ♡
We had a very congenial snowfall on Sunday. Just 2" of good powder, with no real wind and no snow squalls, despite predictions. Pretty, though.
Yes, very cool about the hat!
It is frigid out and our parking lot is a sheet of ice - came home from the grocery store about 6 pm last night and almost fell several times. The guy doing the salting has not done a thing since the snow began, this better change before someone gets hurt!! People can't get out of our underground parking garage because the lazy (expletive here) can't get off his ass to salt it. Trouble is he's the brother in law of the building owner and he is lazy, I'm not surprised that he is shirking this new duty of his. end of rant, LOL!!
Very cold. And snowy (but only a little)(but more than last time). Blew the electric, between two heaters and a crockpot. Reset.
Glad you got reset, puddle. Exciting season, so far, eh?
Root*Center*Son has us watching the movie trilogy The Librarian. Ever seen it? It's all action and humor, steeped in artifacts, facts, some magic and interesting plot twists. It's a little like National Treasure but a LOT more creative and fun. :-) Apparently after the trilogy did so well, they made a TV series out of it, which has just completed its 2nd season with a 3rd in the works. Well acted, and the main characters are likable. After all, two of them are Jane Curtain and Bob Newhart! Ha!
19º
= JO!= Is there anyone else to contact about the ice? What about a call to the Champlain Valley Agency on Aging? Perhaps if they knew of the situation they could contact certain officials who could lean on the owner? They are all about seniors not falling down!!
(802) 865-0360 Hours are 8:30-4:30 M-F
Keep us posted!
13º
Shiny new Twelfth Night Thread!
8 degrees and sunny, up much from well below zero this morning.
listener they are working on it - still some debate re: who does it, mgmt co or owner. I emailed the property manager and they got someone right on it and said that if it got slippery out there again to call them or their answering svc immediately. I think the dolt who lives here and was supposed to do it plans to do it when he wants, not when it's needed so I don't think they'll be using his svcs at all. thank you for your concern and for the number, I will hold onto it!!
being a new building and the unusual situation with mgmt. co/owner there may be a few things that have to be worked out as we go along. I think they've got the plowing and salting figured out. ;-)
Thanks, Puddle. Brenda picked the little bag and contents up
and will get it in the mail. Local branch of post office very near her
house. I am still looking for children's books which depict mixed race
families. The Civil Rights Museum is herein GSO. Their gift shop
did not have any thing for mixed race children...several nice things
for black children. The manager said he would put a word in the ears
..of the board...I guess. We do have a new generation of mixed race
kids who need both sides of their history...my two ggrandaughters in
Baltimore need these...so I keep looking...besides it is fun!
Sleep well all.
Post a Comment