Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Peace for 12th Night

67 comments:

Shirlee Murphy said...

Oh, lovely Puddle. Thank You. We have bright blue skies here, but COLD...for us.
Baby boy and Mom went home yesterday... Good day.

Thank you all for the Amazon link. Will do some searching there.
I am amazed how quickly things arrive. Brenda ordered two books for
me on Friday evening. ..to arrive today. One actually arrived yesterday!

Thanks to Brenda I have discovered the joy and comfort of Cuddl Duds!

Love to all, stay well, warm, etc

Jo_in_Vermont said...

You are most welcome Shirlee - I am a fool for googling and Amazon. ;-)

Love to you and your new family member!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

oh and Dean is first, although I only say that for what he's done in the past, I'm not really sure what he's up to these days. he backed Hillary early on and I'm still disappointed in that, but will honor him at lest a few more time before I give up on him!

listener said...

I liked the way you expressed that, Jo. I have much the same feeling. But at the 10th year reunion he was so great to hear, so still the same person, and while I don't understand his support of Hillary, I respect him for doing what he said he would. It's just so hard to see him not support Vermont's own Bernie. Sweet that DFA ended up backing Bernie! Balance.

listener said...

♥ Great birdie of Peace, puddle! ♥

Shirlee Murphy said...

Let's not forget that Howard really helped pave the way for our
President Obama's first victory. That was building on the good--

puddle said...

Good friend's beloved in surgery today for mesothelioma. If anyone has a spare thought or prayer, please send them along to Toronto. 18 hour surgery. xox

p.s., his name is Dave, if that helps with the direction.

listener said...

Prayers ensuing, puddle. I'm probably as near as anyone here to Toronto, too. Sounds rough. Asbestos related? Any word on whether it's malignant, or is that what today will discover? My heart is right there with you as you wait, dear friend. ♥ Call me (cell) if you need to talk. XOXOXXX

listener said...

Ah, I just reread that. I first thought you wrote "beloved good friend's in surgery." (I'm still here for you.) ♥

listener said...

Shirley…so true. Howard's 50-State Strategy is what turned the key. I just wish we'd had it a year or two earlier for him. Took it awhile to get revved up. I wish he were running instead of Hillary. Of course, THEN what would a Vermonter do?!?!! LOL!!!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

Light, love and prayers for Dave.

Shirlee I agree, Dean will always have a place in my heart, I liked him as my Governor too for a long time and he did things for national politics that will never be lost, as a candidate and as head of the DNC. I wish that Obama had kept him in that position, but Rahm really didn't like Dr. Dean, so he listened to him and canned him. imo Terry McAuliffe was a terrible head of the DNC and lil miss debby was groomed by Hillary to move on in - what a failure she is!!. please don't get me wrong, I guess there just seem to be a lot of people I would want 'first' on my blog now, because he seems to have done all he wants and has moved on and there are others who are doing the hard work now.

Pat said...

Just a quick hello. I'm enjoying the conversations. Thank you, Puddle, for a beautiful brilliant bird of peace. And yes, Jo, Puddle, Listener, Shirlee, Barb, we still have our Thank you Howard Dean sticker on our Jeep Wrangler. I smile every time I go out into the yard.

Beautiful warm day to day. It's supposed to be colder again tomorrow. I now wear long underwear and several layers of tops. When the air is cold, my nose gets cold, and the rest of me follows. I wish winter lasted only a month or maybe less.

I watched a clip of our Prez talking about Sandy Hook and tears rolled down his face. I wonder what all those frenetic, frantic lunatics think about that. This President is the most ethical, most compassionate, most thoughtful in my lifetime, and I'm grateful. Will we choose a President who matches him in his qualities? I hope so.

I find that as I get older, I enjoy more and more my solitude. But, I'm glad you're all here.

puddle said...

I was, back in the day, very aware that Howard was a good deal to my right politically. What I loved then, and now, is his absolute honesty. I don't expect me to agree with him on many things, I do expect to always be able to honor whatever acts/impulses he acts on. I also agree with him on "party." I worked for and watched Carter come to Washington and he and his crew nearly destroy the party because of unwillingness to understand how it works. Beyond that, they ushered in nearly forty years of rePublican blocking and destruction because of that.

listener said...

Jo, I completely agree with you about our Howard Dean as Governor and candidate!!! And why not have Howard (who brought us together and got us moving) and another (currently working hard) both be First each time? Great idear!!

listener said...

Yes, I hear you, puddle, about the mistakes the Carter administration made. It was too bad, too, because he was so talented and had much to bring to the conversation. But, oh my goodness, DC does not play nice with anyone they don't consider a crony! At least Bernie is already a Senator and has been in the House as well.

puddle said...

Best book I've ever read about how DC politics works (that's the Federal gubmint) is Man of the House by Tip O'Neill. The workings of the Hill is pretty intricate and arcane. Carter's crew busted in, certain of their own perfection, totally unaware of stepping on toes, or any other order of things, and those who normally would have cooperated with him because he was the President stopped doing so.

whitznd said...

I'm still here! Been crazy busy. Moving stuff both at home and at work. I get home so tired I don't even bother to do anything other than stare at the TV during the news, load up the dishwasher then stare at my email. And a tiny bit of FB.

Bed frames came, Mattresses came, Sheets came. Still awaiting the mattress pads and the electric blankets (was going to get electric mattress pads, but Burt decided he'd rather have the blankets) and the Bedspread. We got a split king so that he can adjust his differently than mine as we each have different issues that need to be addressed. (Him, he generally can't sleep so he needs to experiment with it. Me, I have sciatica and knee issues that I'm hoping will be relieved by different elevations.) Requires separate bottom sheets, but top sheets and blankets are king sized. Happy day. I get to use my gorgeous bedroom suite again.

We've moved me into Burt's office and that's working pretty well. nice to be close to Burt in the evening. Now if I can get him to not talk quite so much...

Much love to all of you. hopefully, I'll soon get caught up and can spend some time here.

listener said...

Thanks for the update, Barb! Take all the time you need, too. Rest when you can. Pretty soon you'll be all settled in. I love the idea you had for the bed!! So intelligent and loving to take care of the needs of both while getting to still be together. ♥

Pat said...

Hi Friends,

Snowing like crazy here, and it's nice: quiet, pretty, still. But, we really don't get spring here until April. Long way to go.

Glad for you and Burt, Barb. As exhausting as it can be to move, it's exciting to to be able to create spaces you enjoy. I agree with Listener. Get rest when you can.

Not much news here. We'll attend a meetup in Estes Park on the 14th to prepare for the March 1st caucuses. I'm hoping we'll see some younger folks getting involved. I can barely listen to the news. It just seems frenzied, frantic, and with respect to the Republicans, insane.

And so we go on.

listener said...

We do go on, Pat. We in Vermont are going on tonight despite the fact that "he whose name we do not utter" is speaking in Burlington. All the news outlets are mentioning that he's just a few hundred feet from City Hall where Bernie served as Mayor. What not one has mentioned, that I've heard, is that he is a half block from where Bernie's current campaign office is. I suspect that is being kept close to the vest at the moment for safety reasons, because so many of "do not utter"'s supporters are nearby. It's really kind of creepy. One feels one should go out and wash the sidewalks. Hopefully we'll get some fresh snow soon.

BTW! Our Primary is the same day as your Caucus! I will be working at the polls as always. :-)

listener said...

...........................…….....o …......... o
.........…........*O* ……......\\ .. O .. //
..............."==||==" ...…....\\ .||. //
......…........... || ......…............||
...................//..\\ ........... == \\
.................//....// ............\\ ... \\
...........…...=.....= ….........= ......=
Happy! Happy!! Happy!!! :-D
Today is a FABULOUS day, because Ally has been cancer free for 6 years!! She will turn 9 later this month. ♥ ☆ ♥

listener said...

...................................o …......... o
...................*O* …..........\\ .. O .. //
...….........."==||==" ..…....\\ .||. //
......…........... || ......…..........||
...................//..\\ ......…..... == \\
.................//....// ..............\\ ... \\
...........…...=.....= ...........= ......=

listener said...

Eh, you get the idear. LOL!

Pat said...

Hi Listener,

Just watched Chris Hayes who was reporting in Burlington. Howard was on in a panel. Also, Ben and Jerry. As always, Howard's honesty, modesty, and sense of humor came through along with his analysis. One characteristic about Howard is he is frank in admitting when he has been mistaken. He remarked that he has been predicting that Trump would go down in the polls, and he has been wrong. He also said it's possible (He who shall not be named) would be the Republican nominee. He added that Americans were angry but they are not mean, and they won't elect a mean candidate. We'll see.

As always though, I appreciate Howard and am grateful for his character and efforts.

puddle said...

Cthulhu

listener said...

Yea, verily, puddle: part octopus, part man, and part dragon ~ not so sure about the "man" part. LOL!

listener said...

Pat, thanks for that! Sorry I missed it! :-)

I love Howard's ol' twinkle in the eye. There are times when someone describes him speaking and I can just hear and see him in my mind's eye, twinkle and all. I guess that comes of having had him as my Governor for 12 years before the campaign. He sure is consistent. I do miss his humour!!

Shirlee Murphy said...

Good to hear the reports on Howard..and he is still the same.
Yes, Listener, I still have the DFA papers...and you will get them.
Had to clear out a load of antiquarian book dealer catalogs first.
Found a better place for them than the end of my bed!

A bit wiped out here today..ophthlmologist's appt. yesterday.
Very good, and thorough...but the whole procedure leaves
me done in.

A good day to all, including the amazing little survivor!

Stay well.

whitznd said...

AHHHHHHH I didn't watch all of Chris because I was afraid that he was going to do the entire hour on Trump again. Besides, Burt had a movie he wanted to watch.

What a JERK! trying to throw people out without coats. You're right. People don't like mean people. At least MOST people don't. Not sure of Trump supporters. They appear to be as mean and bullyish as he is. GAK!

Oh well, much love to all you lovely ladies!

listener said...

Mean ol' Rats always sow the seeds of their own destruction.

Ratty (as I shall refer to him hereafter) left with no more, and likely fewer, votes than he arrived with.
He lost the vote of all the people who arrived with an open mind and got turned away, and all who love them.

puddle said...

I usually just think of him as a turnip. Anything brighter than that seems like a compliment. WHO couldn't predict that inviting 20,000 people to a place that holds 1,400 was going to be anything other than a problem?

Shirlee Murphy said...

You have it, Puddle. Turnip he is. Spread the word!

puddle said...

Thinking, for long, that Obama's been a much better President than many have given him credit for: http://www.mahablog.com/2016/01/08/stuff-to-read-66/

listener said...

From politico.com:


Bernie Sanders has soared to a 13-point lead over Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire in a Fox News survey out Friday, nearly a month to the day that primary voters will make their decision at the polls on Feb. 9.
Sanders, who in November held a slim 1-point advantage over Clinton in the same poll (45 percent to 44 percent), this time took 50 percent of the vote to 37 percent for Clinton. Former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley earned 3 percent. Before Friday's poll, the latest CBS News/YouGov survey polling primary voters showed Sanders with a 14-point advantage over Clinton (56 percent to 42 percent) in mid-December.
. . .

The independent Vermont senator drew well with the under-45 crowd, outpolling the former secretary of state 55 percent to 31 percent in that demographic. Among men, Sanders leads by 23 points — 53 percent to 30 percent. He also leads among women, albeit by a smaller margin — 48 percent to 41 percent.


Among those earning $50,000 or less, Sanders outdrew Clinton 59 percent to 33 percent.
The poll, which was conducted via landline and cellphones Jan. 4-7, included 386 Democratic primary voters and has a margin of error of plus or minus 5 points.


http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/poll-sanders-clinton-new-hampshire-217531

Shirlee Murphy said...

Thanks to both Puddle and Listener for the links. A fine antidote to redstate.com which has
an article this morning ..."Is Trump the new JFK?" Heaven help us all!

I check out their headlines under the "know thy enemy theory." Hard on the brain, nerves, etc.
but what a bunch of selfish people. Is that the true difference between Dems and Reps?

It was warm enough yesterday to do my walking stint outside...good to hit the streets again!

Love to all. Happy Sunday!

listener said...

We are having bands of rain, the occasional peek of blue sky, and are under a high wind warning. The rain has returned (our windows on the south side are plastered with wetness), and the wind is picking up. Our lights have flickered a few times. The trees are dancing. Also, a tree was down on Rte 15 a few hours ago, about a half mile from here. Strange weather for January!

listener said...

You're welcome, Shirlee the Brave! ♥

puddle said...

Woke to bright sunshine, and the roof still dripping from the overnight rain. Followed by a cloudy afternoon, and now clearing again. Windy all day. And temps going to do a deep drop tonight. Three snow days on the chart for the next week. None big.

Shirlee Murphy said...

.....and we will be getting the southward end of your weather, Puddle. No snow here,
but maybe NW in the Asheville area. Long range weather forecast does not seem
very far from average..colder, some rain, some sun...so far No Snow!

Activities in this wing of the building normal....young people next door have gone
to the mountains for winter sports, others down the hall were cheering a football
game when I walked down with Brenda. Middle ager above just finished practicing
piano music for the Sunday night service in his Methodist church. Love to hear
him practice....

Love to all.

listener said...

Shirlee, how I wish I had your joie de vive when it comes to near neighbours. It seems to me way deep down I am a hermit. I dislike noises coming from the other side of our duplex…though to be sure no liturgical piano. More like the occasional power tool, a steady bass on the stereo*, and their sliding door. We've had four or five owners there while we've lived here, one with a barking dog (who was too often left out in the cold!) and a child who screamed with delight exactly the way our youngest screamed when injured. (*The stereo, at least, has been negotiated.) But our good, quiet neighbor now lives with his girlfriend and has rented his place out to a single mom and her 20-something son. For some reason that translates to four cars parking on the lawn and trash barrels left out at the driveway all week long sometimes. I miss the quiet, tidy fellow. AND YET, I remind myself that in all the world I live in beautiful Vermont, in a very nice half duplex, with a large yard. One must share the road, as it were.

=Sigh=

puddle said...

Just made an improbably good surimi/pear salad w/dill and sour cream.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

Dean is in a debate with ex Gov Jim Douglas. http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Douglas-Dean-to-square-off-on-4-year-terms-for-6749088.php

Shirlee Murphy said...

Listener..it might seem easier here because the whole complex is owned by an
Investment company which hires a management company who hire an on-site
mamager and a maintenance person. So, with these layers there are rules...
need to be 21 to rent, two people can share an apartment and both are responsible
for rent so both need to have credit, former housing checks etc.

Greg Abbott...gov of TX is an idiot. D kos has his demands up for changes
To the constitution..... basically back to the Confederacy! Idiot.

Love to all, stay well, enjoy what peace and quiet you do have.
Listener..you could always knock on the adjoining wall with a
broom handle and have your honey...bellow "Quiet Down"! ;)

listener said...

Head's Up:

This morning I got a pop-up on my iPhone’s Safari browser, which congratulated me and said I was selected to test the iPhone7 and to click OK to receive a free iPhone6. There was no “No Thanks” button to click, which is a sure sign of a scam. So I called the Apple Store and they told me it is, as suspected, a scam, and told me how to get it off my phone. (You can’t use your browser until you get rid of it.) Here's how:

Go to Settings.
Scroll down and select your browser name, in my case Safari.
Scroll down and select Clear History and Clear Cookies and Data.

That should clear it out. If that doesn’t work, do the procedure again and it should work. If nothing works, take it to an Apple store and they’ll help.

For me, the second time clearing everything worked.

listener said...

LOL, Shirlee! Honey doesn't bellow…ever! :-) He's non-confrontational and soft spoken.

The first fews times it was a really big problem, I emailed the owner. He communicated to them and things changed. I didn't like only connecting to complain, so I asked for an email address of the woman who is renting from the owner. She was fine with me having it. So then I emailed her, and she responded that she was away but would tell her son to turn down the stereo. LOL! The thing is, he works at the local general store, so when I saw him shortly after that, I said to him, "Sorry if I got you in trouble with your Mom." He came out from behind the counter, took me aside and asked what I meant. Apparently she hadn't' said anything to him yet! LOL!!! I think my comment scared the bajeebees out of him and he was relieved to hear it was only about the stereo. :-D Score!

listener said...

puddle, I had to look up "surimi" ~ never heard of it before. I can imagine that combo would work well!


Thanks for the link, Jo!! ♥

puddle said...

Cold day. Most of spent trying to keep/get warm. Ick.

Finished Grey's for the 7th time, and should be ready to start Downton Abbey, but find I'm not.

listener said...

Add a hat, puddle. Makes a great big difference. And snuggy socks and slippers. ♥

Maybe you need something funny to clear your palate? I'm thinking something funnier than As Time Goes By, like maybe Mork and Mindy or perhaps a little Smothers Brothers?

Adventure? Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World has Russell Crowe as Captain Jack Aubry and includes some wonderful footage of the Galapagos Islands! Lots of history (Napoleon's time), humour, swashbuckling, honour, superstition and beauty. Something for everyone (and all the folks in each of us)! :-)

puddle said...

The Hound of the Basketballs dragged me out of bed this morning due to his certainty that the End of the World had arrived and was knocking on the front door, or some such. Once up, too late to go back. Then he went out and peacefully coexisted for a couple of hours and I had to ask him to come back in, which he did gracefully.

puddle said...

So, I'm going with 8 Harry Potter movies. If I can get the paypal page to load--been trying for ten minutes now, lol! HARD TO GIVE MONEY AWAY, IT SEEMS.

puddle said...

Whew! That took and hour and a half to check out. . . . Guess I'm not going to be thinking of ebay as a go to place to look around.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Waiting to watch President Obama destroy the Republicans
with his eloquence! RedState.com calling him "bitter"--fools
they are. So happy Bernie is doing well!

It has been cool,windy and clear here...not possible to walk
in this weather. Whatever weather Puddle gets..slips on down
to Greensboro in a day or two.

Stay warm, well and survive the Repbs response to Mr. Obama's
Words.

Love to all.

Pat said...

I love J. K Rowling. She's a genius, I think, with her wit, imagination, storytelling. I know you'll have a good time, Puddle.

Yes, we're looking forward to the State of the Union tonight. I just read that Bernie is leading by 5 points in Iowa. Should be interesting.

I wear a scarf, long underwear, a turtle neck, a sweater, and sweat pants, plus a headband covering my ears. It helps with the cold.

Today was beautiful: sunny, warm, no wind. Ah, winter. Isn't it about time for spring?

I've read that most of the gun owners and most of the American people are in favor of Obama's executive actions. I notice the Republicans aren't saying much about guns right now.

puddle said...

With David Bowie's death got thinking about Bob Dylan, who was much more formative for me. . . . He's fine. Phew!!

listener, Shirlee, not gonna be wearing a cap, lol! Though I DO remember cutting my hair from about this length to a butch about this time of year, forty years ago--and was stunned at HOW DAMN COLD MY HEAD GOT THAT WINTER!! AM looking at some shearling slippers on Amazon.

puddle said...

Someone: there's a kind of slipper out there that's all soft inside; I mean *really* soft--is it just me who doesn't want soft? I want the floor to be where I expect it, not half an inch below where I think I'm putting my foot. Who would want that, and why?

listener said...

Here's my slippers, puddle. I have these in blue and for some for Daughter in red. Very soft and warm and they are nice to any shape foot. Mine feet are wide width and these work great.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/18664?feat=womens%20slippers-SR0&page=women-s-wicked-good-moccasins

listener said...

Mine feet = My feet

I sound ancient! LOL!


Headed to Maine in the morning for 2-4 days or more. Update when I can. XOXOXXX

listener said...

Slippers PS: These used to have a skinny sole such that one's foot rolled off it! Argh! BUT now they have a fill sole that is very comfy yet firm enough that you can walk outside to get the mail in them. I even forgot I was wearing them and went out to fill the bird feeder in the snow…and they came through that fine! HA!

listener said...

a fill sole = a full sole

Gosh, I'd better stop typing and go pack! LOL!

puddle said...

Oooooh! Those is purty! These are the ones I'm going with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product//B016LCWTXQ/ref=twister_dp_update?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Traveling mercies!!

listener said...

We have a new grandchild!
♡ Jacob MacFarland Schulte ♡
5lbs, 10oz, 19.5" tall
born 14 January 2016, 12:47pm
Jacob is the 16th member of the Vermont tribe
and the first born in Winter.

After a perfect pregnancy with not even any morning sickness,
Daughter went in for her routing doc visit and her BP had skyrocketed (and stayed that way)…!
In the end, Jacob was born by cesarean, 20 days before his due date.

We are so grateful to have both of them here, and together and in love!
Presently we are in Maine taking care of our other two Maine grands so their mother, who is a Labor & Delivery nurse, can stay with Daughter. PhD*Son is flying home from Florida as I type.

We will meet the little guy on Friday. ♡ Hallelujah!

puddle said...

Oh, unutterably lovely, listener!!! Great joy on your head and all your family's heads, and especially on baby Jacob's head!

Shirlee Murphy said...

Are you getting the red slippers, Puddle? They are beautiful!
New baby time all around...happy days.

Good hip news. Ortho has been having me come in every six
months for hip x-rays...because it seemed this 28 year old total
hip replacement was beginning to wear and possibly slip at the ball.
Yesterday's x-rays showed it stable...."come in when needed..."
says this good and kind bone doc.

Gray, a little damp and 40's to 50's. Not bad..compared to MI winters.

Love to all. Stay warm , happy etc.

whitznd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
whitznd said...

Found too many typos so had to correct them all!

Congratulations on the newest grand, Listener. Those Slippers look wonderful, Puddle. They can easily slip off if feet get too warm. Excellent insights as usual, Pat. You're so thoughtful.

We enjoyed the SOTU. Well, except for the smirking monkey behind Obama. And he PRACTICED that face. What a jerk! Definitely NOT a statesman.

We're getting settled into our new bed and I do seem to be sleeping better. Burt is another story. He finds the bed most comfy, but he never has slept well, so it is not the fault of the bed. Room is starting to look lovely as we get pictures and other artwork up. No books will be in the bedroom! They will all be in the office. And the living room. And the dining room. And the kitchen. Uh, ok and the laundry room.

Even getting the office set up nicely. Trying to stash all the junk he has in his drawers is a challenge. I found a lovely box that is entitled, "Controlled Mess" that I'm going to use to sort out the stuff from his desk drawer. Have to pick up a bunch of those Rubbermaid drawer dividers and anything that doesn't fit, will be eliminated. He'll never miss it because he has admitted to me that he has no idea what is in that drawer. (???)

Much love to all of you lovely ladies! XOXO

puddle said...

New thread!

Shirlee Murphy said...

Love the character heading the new thread, Puddle! You always
Find something just right! I am just poking around on the nets...
can''r sleep. Looking forward to getting out and walking tomorrow.

Smirking Monkey is a fine name for what's his name, Barb.
Prez gave us one of his best speeches.....including a plan
for the future. It will be very interesting to see what he takes
up....after he is rested from the Repub Wars.

Love to ll