I love it, a Donald Trump cat. Laughing here. I'm listening to A Prairie Home companion with Garrison Keillor, and he's definitely the Mark Twain of our times, I think.
A sullen, cold day today. We have a new coffee maker which will allow us to make all kinds of coffee, just exactly David's kind of machine.
I'll give some feedback from our Meetup on Thursday soon.
Thanks, Puddle, for your creativity and sense of humor.
We made it home safely from Maine, where we got to hold and enjoy our new Grandbaby, delight in our Daughter's deep joy, and play fun games with our Maine granddaughters. I also made several meals, including one to leave for tonight, for when Daughter and Grandbaby went home from the hospital! We are soooo happy they are home!! No more heel pricks for the little guy!
We have had snow this morning, Puddle! Light and wet.and almost gone now. Snow has never added joy to my life...even as a Michigander! I could never get warm enough....and a great hindrance to getting errands done or just driving home. Happy to be in a low-no snow belt area of the U.S.!
I am happy you could spend time with your new Grandbaby, Listener. Always fun. Brenda coaxed some more photos from our new Michiganders family. Babies grow so fast in their first few weeks. Expecting another ggrand in May to join the family in Baltimore. We do expand!
I forgot all about Downton Abbey being on at the same time as the debate. (Brilliant move there, Dems.) So I all wait and watch the debate at 11pm, since I can sleep in tomorrow.
I watched Downton Abbey, then joined the debate half way through. Five minutes into the second half and I feel like if Sen. Clinton is the next President, I'll need to simply give up on politics. Just forget it. I'll turn my caring energies to my grandchildren and help prepare them to take on the concerns of this country when their adulthood comes. I am ready to give up on my own generation's ability to bring needed change. =Sigh=
We watched the "debates". Sorry, but they weren't debates. A debate focuses on an issue, presents different perspectives, and allows for argumentation and rebuttal. At last night's session, it was more stump speeches: individual candidates were asked questions, and they replied allowing for another candidate to give his/her perspective and then the moderator asked a different question of another candidate. That is not a debate.
On the whole it was tedious. I hope that Bernie Sanders can be more flexible instead of giving the same stump speech over and over about the billionaires. I'd like to see more candor from Hillary. To me, Martin O'Malley (spell?) was the most moderate, presenting ongoing evidence of his ability to bring people together. Who knows what the polls will bring.
Also, what happens to the insurance companies and all their employees when there is a single payer, not-for-profit system? Reagan pushed us to the right giving corporations and private enterprise way too much power. There's a definite push to the left, a needed corrective, but if it's too extreme and too fast, what happens to the system? I think Obama's incrementalism has served us well. I think that the best system incorporates socialism, that is, resources provided by government for all the people, and enterprise that brings innovation, employment, and energy to the economic system. That was not addressed at all, and I wonder how the American people will judge a single payer system if that isn't addressed.
I wish Obama had a third term. His intelligence, vision, and self control, and broad perspective has served us well. On the whole last night, I didn't really learn anything new, found the format superficial and unsatisfying, and though any one of the candidates would be miles better than the Republicans, I didn't feel very optimistic.
Need something to inspire you about the possibilities politically? (I sure did!) Well, here it is. This was live-streamed at 1pm yesterday (same day as the "debate"/forum!), but you can watch it today too. It is all about MLK, Jr's true message, and about Bernie's message now.
well, haven't stopped laughing at that danged cat!
Pat had a very good description of the debate on FB and I must say, I agree totally with her. Bernie basically gave his stump speech, but it was important to give it there because they don't know him well yet.
But he has to stop sounding like a broken record. His message IS important, but, had he spent another 15 seconds talking about how he actually marched with Dr. MLK. I think it would have gone a LOT further with the black caucus! His history is not to be pushed aside.
I got really tired of Hillary's expression of, "Well, you know..." with those eyes partially closed looking like she was looking down her nose at us. Just left a bad taste in my mouth. I do not like being condescended to by anyone. and she was definitely condescending!
O'Malley was well I did this and I did that but he actually didn't do any of it all that well. He talks through a perpetual smile and it's hard to take him seriously.
David Frum said that the only thing O'Malley forgot was to bring his guitar to the podium. Cracked up when I read it along with all the other takes from other media folks on the debate.
My friend's beloved, Dave, came home from the hospital, a week early. For perspective, the only other case has been there for 2 1/2 months. . . . Thanks for the love and prayers.
Shirlee, that "odd feeling" makes sense. It isn't arrogant at all. It is a slow and sensible reckoning with reality. The older we get the more people our age pass on. As my soon to be 90 year old friend Penny once said, "Honey, it don't get any better."
So happy for your friend and her sweetie, Puddle. Modern med improves...and we are all.. mostly...better for it! I agree with your friend, Listener...it might not get better physically, but emotionally I feel much freer. Maybe because there are things I can't do...so don't worry about it. It either doesn't get done or someone else can do it! Always had a latent streak of laziness in me..now I can indulge :)???
Tired, tired of the cold though. Love this old building and my corner apartment, but that means there are some leaks around the edges!
The Repub candidates just get more and more arrogant and hateful! Bah, Humbug!
Love to all of you, though. I look forward every morning to activities, opinions, etc. Take care, stay warm!
Hey puddle, Mary Land was asking for you on FB, so I explained about your dailup not meshing with FB's last "upgrade" and told her I'd let you know she was asking for you.
She responded: "Thank you June!!! I really miss her. Even though I have never met her personally, she has really touched my life. She is an incredibly sweet and genuine spirit!!"
Shirlee, do stay as snug as you can. I know well that feeling of having had enough of the cold. It happens most every year here when we're in the midst of an extended cold snap. Have Brenda bring you a little pot of crocuses in blossom. Works wonders!
listener, thanks for the leg-work!! Mary's a close to best friend of Bobbye, Beau's former Mum. I've felt great warmth from her for long.
Shirlee, the coldest house I ever lived in was a full brick built in 1963. Brick, 4 inches of air, and wall board. It just radiated cold into the living space. Our bedroom, worst of all, had three outside walls--brrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Talked to Nancy this a.m.--we're all getting ready for the coming storm. Snow plow already has chains on, and she's first on the list. Seems it's going to be between one foot and three. The cites can't agree. . . .
Beginning to snow here in Greensboro....my weekly helper for cleaning and laundry came in today rather than tomorrow. She has become a dear friend and not only a helper.
Already have Windows plugged, may need to re-check. Interesting about your sixties brick house, Puddle.
We have lost an ancient willow oak....the city was taking it down today. It had begun to split and had a large canopy. Not wanting to take a chance because it stood in the yard of the home of our early Governor Morehead. The house itself is on the National Historic Register and the experts thought it might fall on the house and damage it as well as taking out the power lines for a major portion of the city. Good caretakers.
The primer snow has arrived. About half an inch. Today really much warmer, though still cold. And right now ALL my heaters are working. The newest one's been crapping out off and on (which made for one very cold bathroom today, as one MUST protect the faucet on the water tank. . . .), but the two in my living space are running at half power, and I'm warmer than I have been in days with both running full and an oven boost.
Been thinking: I want conservatives like those on The West Wing, instead of The Three Stooges. . . .
Shirlee, your stories about Greensboro make me feel warm toward the city, and like I wouldn't mind seeing it some day. :-) That's saying a lot because I do not especially like to travel. (I like to be places, but wish I could just beam or tesser in!)
Happy to pass messages as needed, puddle. :-)
You two stay snug down there! I don't like thinking of you being cold. Hunker down and enjoy the beauty of the snowfall. And puddle, if you have to take the heat from your bathroom pipes, be sure to remember to leave the faucet running at a good trickle so it doesn't freeze up. Everybody take care!
Can't do that listener: it's 110 gallon stock tank, with a pipe and faucet added, outside the kitchen door. Water goes into a bucket, and bucket is carried to water keeper under kitchen sink. If the pipe/faucet freezes. the potentiality for a burst that deposits 110 gallons of water onto a wood floor with no drain. . . . Just occurred to me that I prolly need to get a kerosene heater backup in case of electric outtage during very cold weather. . . .
Interesting, how we all are dealing with, protecting ourselves and enjoying cold winter weather....or not!
Listener, Greensboro is wonderful city...not too large..just under 300, 000 I think...but large enough to have a good percentage of people who care about it...and seem to elect mostly pretty good local council members etc.
Settled in 1808 we benefit... I think..from early Quaker and Moravian settlements in the area. The east-west railroad line across the state comes through here with Amtrak connections and a fine small regional airport. Five colleges, a law school and a university keep the place lively. Three live theaters, a fine historical museum and public library keep us literate and entertained. Well, I could go on...and on..but I have a political question for all here. My son-in-law....a standard Republican..appalled by what is happening asked if I thought Bernie could handle international affairs. Any good answers here?
Wow. 300,000?!! Vermont's largest city has just over 42,000. :-D
Shirlee, tell your son this: While others may have more foreign policy experience than Bernie, he is the candidate who said NO to going into Iraq and was very clear on why. His clarity and honesty more than make up for inexperience. He'll have advisors for that. But what other nations need from him and what we need from him is someone who thinks clearly under pressure and who is honest and thoughtful. I'd feel safe with him having access to the nuclear codes and button, y'know?
Thinking of you as up to 30" of snow is headed your way in a good old fashioned Vermont-style blizzard. What heat will you have if the power goes out? Remember that a good layer of snow adds insulation on your roof and around your foundation. Helps. Sending love and hoping you aren't knocked out of communication for too long. XOXOXXX
Dear Mid-Atlantic of these United States of America.
I think we all knew it could happen. Every year when you pack up your well tanned family and head back home from our tiny piece of paradise, you look back and see us raking up our leaves and putting our snow shovels by the door. You always sigh, knowing that we will be dealing with winter in a far different way than you will. With lobster traps on your roof and pine cones in your carry ons, you think of us with with warm memories of fantastic sunsets, thick accents and great clam chowder. You talk to the family about coming back next year and enjoying all that Maine has to offer. Down deep, you feel sorry for us. You know that we will be moving snowbanks, raking our roof, smashing ice dams off the shingles and stoking the wood stove with the dollar bills that you left behind. Listen, this storm is going to miss us. This is not typical and we want to share a little advice of how to make it through an epic "snow event" unscathed. We want you to come back next year. Here are a few tips. 1. Don't panic. It's just frozen rain. It does go away so don't try to move too much at one time. 2. Don't shovel too early and don't wait too long. Pace yourself. Go out every few hours and move a little at a time. It can hurt your back, arms and legs. You always wonder why we all walk funny. It is not because of the clam chowder. 3. Heart attacks in big snow storms are rather common. Help out your neighbor who is older, out of shape or that has known health problems. Helping them move some snow (better yet, let your offspring do it) is better than calling EMS while you are doing CPR. Seriously. 4. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy all the bread on the shelves. As a lifelong Mainer, I recommend cereal. No better reason has ever been invented to eat Golden Crisp, Honeycomb or Captain Crunch (don't get the peanut butter flavored. That stuff sucks). You will need milk and of course a bowl and spoon. You probably already have that in the house. I have lived for several weeks on only Rice Crispies and Snickers. 5. Get some batteries and flashlights that work. Nothing is worse than going through the junk drawer and finding only 1 D battery when you need two. LED flashlights are awesome, cheap and last and last. You might need one to find the cereal. 6. Charge your Cellphone. If you have a generator, you need gas. You look stupid trying to start a generator with no gas in it. Don't ask me how I know. Do not run the generator inside a basement or garage. Yes, people do that. Usually only one time. 7. Toilets flush without electricity. If you fill your tub with water, you can use it for all kinds of things, including flushing the toilet. Also, to wash cereal bowls. 8. Fill your car up with gas. If you get stuck somewhere and have to run the car, make sure you clean out around the tail pipe and do not fall asleep with the car running. We need you to come back next summer to buy more lobster and lobster traps. Pine cones are free. Most of all, take care of each other. Be nice and invite neighbors to hole up at one location. Hide expensive things, but help them. (that's the cop talking). You will be fine. We drink lots of coffee and complain when we get hit like this storm. It works ok. It makes us grouchy but that's why you come here in the summer. To hear stories from grumpy Mainers who sell lobster traps. Now, you will have some of your own to share with us when you get back. Be safe and well and if you have any Cap'n Crunch left after the storm. It keeps very well. Bring it up this summer. The men and women of the Bangor Police Department are rooting for you. You got this. We will be here!
I'll add: If you have a cell phone, charge it and leave it charged.
100 gallons of propane was just delivered day before yesterday. 30" of snow *would* insulate my foundations, if I had any. Don't--I'm four feet off the ground, on poles; will help with the roof. I'm not really much worried--not due to be all that cold any ways, so. . .
My eight Harry Potter movies arrived yesterday, and my meds, and another dozen eggs: good to go.
We started with the snow yesterday...changing to wintry mix today-- and through tomorrow. Brenda came by last night instead of our usual Friday get together...brought important things like shortbread cookies and White chocolate bars! Freezer already full of her good cooking!
We do not get this kind of weather too often...so most folks don't know how to drive in it. That means everything closes down..including doc's offices and the roads get sprayed ahead of the storm with brine.
Brenda was wondering also about what Puddle would do if her power is out. I allowed as how Puddle has been in her beloved spot for a number of years and likely has an alternative heat/energy plan. Would be glad to hear from her though. Stay warm and well, all.
To bed this a.m. after 5 (five) Harry Potters. Woke at 3:30 when son called, and was surprised not to find me on line. We talked snow, and visits, and Harry Potter for a while. Then got up and let Mr. Beau go play in the snow. About five inches by dusk. Well and warm, and decidedly well fed and feeling loved here.
43 comments:
I love it, a Donald Trump cat. Laughing here. I'm listening to A Prairie Home companion with Garrison Keillor, and he's definitely the Mark Twain of our times, I think.
A sullen, cold day today. We have a new coffee maker which will allow us to make all kinds of coffee, just exactly David's kind of machine.
I'll give some feedback from our Meetup on Thursday soon.
Thanks, Puddle, for your creativity and sense of humor.
I tried to respond to this on the way home tonight, using my iPhone, but it wouldn't take. I was simply going to message:
Yeeeeaaaaaggghhhhhhh!!!
We made it home safely from Maine, where we got to hold and enjoy our new Grandbaby, delight in our Daughter's deep joy, and play fun games with our Maine granddaughters. I also made several meals, including one to leave for tonight, for when Daughter and Grandbaby went home from the hospital! We are soooo happy they are home!! No more heel pricks for the little guy!
Chilly/gloomy today, snow tomorrow, frigid--13º--Monday.
We have had snow this morning, Puddle! Light and wet.and almost gone now.
Snow has never added joy to my life...even as a Michigander! I could never
get warm enough....and a great hindrance to getting errands done or just driving
home. Happy to be in a low-no snow belt area of the U.S.!
I am happy you could spend time with your new Grandbaby, Listener. Always
fun. Brenda coaxed some more photos from our new Michiganders family.
Babies grow so fast in their first few weeks. Expecting another ggrand in May
to join the family in Baltimore. We do expand!
Love to all, stay warm.....
There's a Dem debate tonight, in South Carolina. Anybody going to watch?
Howard is in Asia, but maybe he'll watch by satellite.
I forgot all about Downton Abbey being on at the same time as the debate. (Brilliant move there, Dems.) So I all wait and watch the debate at 11pm, since I can sleep in tomorrow.
* I all = I will
I watched Downton Abbey, then joined the debate half way through. Five minutes into the second half and I feel like if Sen. Clinton is the next President, I'll need to simply give up on politics. Just forget it. I'll turn my caring energies to my grandchildren and help prepare them to take on the concerns of this country when their adulthood comes. I am ready to give up on my own generation's ability to bring needed change. =Sigh=
Good Morning,
We watched the "debates". Sorry, but they weren't debates. A debate focuses on an issue, presents different perspectives, and allows for argumentation and rebuttal. At last night's session, it was more stump speeches: individual candidates were asked questions, and they replied allowing for another candidate to give his/her perspective and then the moderator asked a different question of another candidate. That is not a debate.
On the whole it was tedious. I hope that Bernie Sanders can be more flexible instead of giving the same stump speech over and over about the billionaires. I'd like to see more candor from Hillary. To me, Martin O'Malley (spell?) was the most moderate, presenting ongoing evidence of his ability to bring people together. Who knows what the polls will bring.
Also, what happens to the insurance companies and all their employees when there is a single payer, not-for-profit system? Reagan pushed us to the right giving corporations and private enterprise way too much power. There's a definite push to the left, a needed corrective, but if it's too extreme and too fast, what happens to the system? I think Obama's incrementalism has served us well. I think that the best system incorporates socialism, that is, resources provided by government for all the people, and enterprise that brings innovation, employment, and energy to the economic system. That was not addressed at all, and I wonder how the American people will judge a single payer system if that isn't addressed.
I wish Obama had a third term. His intelligence, vision, and self control, and broad perspective has served us well. On the whole last night, I didn't really learn anything new, found the format superficial and unsatisfying, and though any one of the candidates would be miles better than the Republicans, I didn't feel very optimistic.
We'll see.
Wishing Obama had a third term also, but watching how much
It aged him...who could wish that? Now, maybe Michelle...?.? ?!
Wanting some one who could just give Paul Ryan a good slap across his
smirking face! I know....violence not good, but there are times :)
Need something to inspire you about the possibilities politically? (I sure did!) Well, here it is. This was live-streamed at 1pm yesterday (same day as the "debate"/forum!), but you can watch it today too. It is all about MLK, Jr's true message, and about Bernie's message now.
https://berniesanders.com/live-discussion-the-legacy-of-dr-king/?123
9º, cold, bright, windy. Wooooooooooh!!!
well, haven't stopped laughing at that danged cat!
Pat had a very good description of the debate on FB and I must say, I agree totally with her. Bernie basically gave his stump speech, but it was important to give it there because they don't know him well yet.
But he has to stop sounding like a broken record. His message IS important, but, had he spent another 15 seconds talking about how he actually marched with Dr. MLK. I think it would have gone a LOT further with the black caucus! His history is not to be pushed aside.
I got really tired of Hillary's expression of, "Well, you know..." with those eyes partially closed looking like she was looking down her nose at us. Just left a bad taste in my mouth. I do not like being condescended to by anyone. and she was definitely condescending!
O'Malley was well I did this and I did that but he actually didn't do any of it all that well. He talks through a perpetual smile and it's hard to take him seriously.
David Frum said that the only thing O'Malley forgot was to bring his guitar to the podium. Cracked up when I read it along with all the other takes from other media folks on the debate.
anyway, my take.
much love to all.
I want great musicians who aren't much older than I am to stop dying.
...or any of your peers! I feel sometimes that the world is
thinning out.....and I could be next! Odd feeling..or arrogant?
Bright blue skies and mighty cold for us.down to 14 degrees last
night. Way too cold to walk my favorite routes.
Take care all!
My friend's beloved, Dave, came home from the hospital, a week early. For perspective, the only other case has been there for 2 1/2 months. . . . Thanks for the love and prayers.
Hi Friends,
Beautiful beautiful day with sun, melting, and clear skies.
I'm glad for your friend's beloved returning home, Puddle.
Thank you, Barb, for the compliments on the description of the debate. We are in agreement.
Not too much to say, just glad to be here with you all.
Shirlee, that "odd feeling" makes sense. It isn't arrogant at all. It is a slow and sensible reckoning with reality. The older we get the more people our age pass on. As my soon to be 90 year old friend Penny once said, "Honey, it don't get any better."
puddle, I'm deeply heart glad for Dave and his sweetie!!! And you, too. ♥
So happy for your friend and her sweetie, Puddle. Modern med improves...and we are all..
mostly...better for it! I agree with your friend, Listener...it might not get better physically,
but emotionally I feel much freer. Maybe because there are things I can't do...so don't
worry about it. It either doesn't get done or someone else can do it! Always had a
latent streak of laziness in me..now I can indulge :)???
Tired, tired of the cold though. Love this old building and my corner apartment,
but that means there are some leaks around the edges!
The Repub candidates just get more and more arrogant and hateful! Bah, Humbug!
Love to all of you, though. I look forward every morning to activities, opinions, etc.
Take care, stay warm!
Hey puddle, Mary Land was asking for you on FB, so I explained about your dailup not meshing with FB's last "upgrade" and told her I'd let you know she was asking for you.
She responded:
"Thank you June!!! I really miss her. Even though I have never met her personally, she has really touched my life. She is an incredibly sweet and genuine spirit!!"
Then Phil chimed in with:
"I send love, too."
Bobbye Anne and Scott Douglass also say Hey.
And me? I concur with all of them...and I have met you, too. :-)
Shirlee, do stay as snug as you can. I know well that feeling of having had enough of the cold. It happens most every year here when we're in the midst of an extended cold snap. Have Brenda bring you a little pot of crocuses in blossom. Works wonders!
PS: Sounds like some weather-stripping around your windows would also help. Meanwhile, try laying scarfs on your windowsills, to blocks the drafts.
listener, thanks for the leg-work!! Mary's a close to best friend of Bobbye, Beau's former Mum. I've felt great warmth from her for long.
Shirlee, the coldest house I ever lived in was a full brick built in 1963. Brick, 4 inches of air, and wall board. It just radiated cold into the living space. Our bedroom, worst of all, had three outside walls--brrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Talked to Nancy this a.m.--we're all getting ready for the coming storm. Snow plow already has chains on, and she's first on the list. Seems it's going to be between one foot and three. The cites can't agree. . . .
Beginning to snow here in Greensboro....my weekly helper for cleaning and laundry
came in today rather than tomorrow. She has become a dear friend and not only a helper.
Already have Windows plugged, may need to re-check. Interesting about your sixties
brick house, Puddle.
We have lost an ancient willow oak....the city was taking it down today. It had begun to split
and had a large canopy. Not wanting to take a chance because it stood in the yard of the home
of our early Governor Morehead. The house itself is on the National Historic Register and the
experts thought it might fall on the house and damage it as well as taking out the power lines
for a major portion of the city. Good caretakers.
Stay warm, well etc. Love to all.
The primer snow has arrived. About half an inch. Today really much warmer, though still cold. And right now ALL my heaters are working. The newest one's been crapping out off and on (which made for one very cold bathroom today, as one MUST protect the faucet on the water tank. . . .), but the two in my living space are running at half power, and I'm warmer than I have been in days with both running full and an oven boost.
Been thinking: I want conservatives like those on The West Wing, instead of The Three Stooges. . . .
Shirlee, your stories about Greensboro make me feel warm toward the city, and like I wouldn't mind seeing it some day. :-) That's saying a lot because I do not especially like to travel. (I like to be places, but wish I could just beam or tesser in!)
Happy to pass messages as needed, puddle. :-)
You two stay snug down there! I don't like thinking of you being cold. Hunker down and enjoy the beauty of the snowfall. And puddle, if you have to take the heat from your bathroom pipes, be sure to remember to leave the faucet running at a good trickle so it doesn't freeze up. Everybody take care!
BTW, we won't have the stats sufficient to know for sure about the storm's strength and direction until sometime on Thursday. Soon!
Can't do that listener: it's 110 gallon stock tank, with a pipe and faucet added, outside the kitchen door. Water goes into a bucket, and bucket is carried to water keeper under kitchen sink. If the pipe/faucet freezes. the potentiality for a burst that deposits 110 gallons of water onto a wood floor with no drain. . . . Just occurred to me that I prolly need to get a kerosene heater backup in case of electric outtage during very cold weather. . . .
Interesting, how we all are dealing with, protecting ourselves and enjoying
cold winter weather....or not!
Listener, Greensboro is wonderful city...not too large..just under 300, 000
I think...but large enough to have a good percentage of people who care about
it...and seem to elect mostly pretty good local council members etc.
Settled in 1808 we benefit... I think..from early Quaker and Moravian settlements
in the area. The east-west railroad line across the state comes through here with Amtrak
connections and a fine small regional airport. Five colleges, a law school and a university
keep the place lively. Three live theaters, a fine historical museum and
public library keep us literate and entertained. Well, I could go on...and on..but I have a
political question for all here. My son-in-law....a standard Republican..appalled by what
is happening asked if I thought Bernie could handle international affairs. Any good answers here?
Take care, stay warm, well etc. Love to all.
a gift from the past - Wendell: http://billmoyers.com/segment/wendell-berry-on-his-hopes-for-humanity/
Ah, thank you, Jo!
Wow. 300,000?!! Vermont's largest city has just over 42,000. :-D
Shirlee, tell your son this: While others may have more foreign policy experience than Bernie, he is the candidate who said NO to going into Iraq and was very clear on why. His clarity and honesty more than make up for inexperience. He'll have advisors for that. But what other nations need from him and what we need from him is someone who thinks clearly under pressure and who is honest and thoughtful. I'd feel safe with him having access to the nuclear codes and button, y'know?
{{{ ♥ puddle ♥ }}}
Thinking of you as up to 30" of snow is headed your way in a good old fashioned Vermont-style blizzard. What heat will you have if the power goes out? Remember that a good layer of snow adds insulation on your roof and around your foundation. Helps. Sending love and hoping you aren't knocked out of communication for too long. XOXOXXX
From the Bangor, Maine Police Department:
Dear Mid-Atlantic of these United States of America.
I think we all knew it could happen. Every year when you pack up your well tanned family and head back home from our tiny piece of paradise, you look back and see us raking up our leaves and putting our snow shovels by the door. You always sigh, knowing that we will be dealing with winter in a far different way than you will.
With lobster traps on your roof and pine cones in your carry ons, you think of us with with warm memories of fantastic sunsets, thick accents and great clam chowder. You talk to the family about coming back next year and enjoying all that Maine has to offer.
Down deep, you feel sorry for us. You know that we will be moving snowbanks, raking our roof, smashing ice dams off the shingles and stoking the wood stove with the dollar bills that you left behind.
Listen, this storm is going to miss us. This is not typical and we want to share a little advice of how to make it through an epic "snow event" unscathed. We want you to come back next year. Here are a few tips.
1. Don't panic. It's just frozen rain. It does go away so don't try to move too much at one time.
2. Don't shovel too early and don't wait too long. Pace yourself. Go out every few hours and move a little at a time. It can hurt your back, arms and legs. You always wonder why we all walk funny. It is not because of the clam chowder.
3. Heart attacks in big snow storms are rather common. Help out your neighbor who is older, out of shape or that has known health problems. Helping them move some snow (better yet, let your offspring do it) is better than calling EMS while you are doing CPR. Seriously.
4. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy all the bread on the shelves. As a lifelong Mainer, I recommend cereal. No better reason has ever been invented to eat Golden Crisp, Honeycomb or Captain Crunch (don't get the peanut butter flavored. That stuff sucks). You will need milk and of course a bowl and spoon. You probably already have that in the house. I have lived for several weeks on only Rice Crispies and Snickers.
5. Get some batteries and flashlights that work. Nothing is worse than going through the junk drawer and finding only 1 D battery when you need two. LED flashlights are awesome, cheap and last and last. You might need one to find the cereal.
6. Charge your Cellphone. If you have a generator, you need gas. You look stupid trying to start a generator with no gas in it. Don't ask me how I know. Do not run the generator inside a basement or garage. Yes, people do that. Usually only one time.
7. Toilets flush without electricity. If you fill your tub with water, you can use it for all kinds of things, including flushing the toilet. Also, to wash cereal bowls.
8. Fill your car up with gas. If you get stuck somewhere and have to run the car, make sure you clean out around the tail pipe and do not fall asleep with the car running. We need you to come back next summer to buy more lobster and lobster traps. Pine cones are free.
Most of all, take care of each other. Be nice and invite neighbors to hole up at one location. Hide expensive things, but help them. (that's the cop talking).
You will be fine. We drink lots of coffee and complain when we get hit like this storm. It works ok. It makes us grouchy but that's why you come here in the summer. To hear stories from grumpy Mainers who sell lobster traps. Now, you will have some of your own to share with us when you get back.
Be safe and well and if you have any Cap'n Crunch left after the storm. It keeps very well. Bring it up this summer.
The men and women of the Bangor Police Department are rooting for you. You got this.
We will be here!
I'll add: If you have a cell phone, charge it and leave it charged.
100 gallons of propane was just delivered day before yesterday. 30" of snow *would* insulate my foundations, if I had any. Don't--I'm four feet off the ground, on poles; will help with the roof. I'm not really much worried--not due to be all that cold any ways, so. . .
My eight Harry Potter movies arrived yesterday, and my meds, and another dozen eggs: good to go.
We started with the snow yesterday...changing to wintry mix today--
and through tomorrow. Brenda came by last night instead of our usual
Friday get together...brought important things like shortbread cookies and
White chocolate bars! Freezer already full of her good cooking!
We do not get this kind of weather too often...so most folks don't know
how to drive in it. That means everything closes down..including doc's
offices and the roads get sprayed ahead of the storm with brine.
Brenda was wondering also about what Puddle would do if her power is out.
I allowed as how Puddle has been in her beloved spot for a number of years
and likely has an alternative heat/energy plan. Would be glad to hear from
her though. Stay warm and well, all.
To bed this a.m. after 5 (five) Harry Potters. Woke at 3:30 when son called, and was surprised not to find me on line. We talked snow, and visits, and Harry Potter for a while. Then got up and let Mr. Beau go play in the snow. About five inches by dusk. Well and warm, and decidedly well fed and feeling loved here.
To bed at NINE ayem. . . .
yay Zephyr!
http://www.thenation.com/article/countering-citizens-united-with-a-dose-of-zephyr-teachout/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
New shiny fresh snowy thread!
Post a Comment