Sunday, April 17, 2016

Yes, please


51 comments:

listener said...

Bernie is First!!

Oh, make it so!!!

listener said...

"Three cheers for small libraries!" ~ Shirlee


Huzzah! Huzzah!! Huzzah!!! :-)

listener said...

Is it still snowing, Pat? NO ONE (not even a Vermonter) wants four feet of snow in April! I think four or five months is more than I'd be grateful for too. At some point the flower bulbs emerge and it's so much nicer if you can see them! We had so much snow one April that I decided to clear the area over the bulb garden, and was amazed to find that the plants had sprouted and some were even in blossom ~ even though they were entirely encased in snow! Talk about tenacity! But the poor things were pale green, long and spindly, and weak. They were still quite precious to me.

listener said...

We leave tomorrow for Boston. Well, literally Needham and Natick, MA, to see our son run in the Boston Marathon! He ran it last year in about three hours, and we expect to see him for maybe six seconds as he runs past, giving a swift high five to his two daughters as they also hand him small cups of water. It will be fun to watch with our two Maine Granddaughters, Daughter-in-law (their Mom, running son's wife), Daughter and our Grandson, as well as my Brother, Sister-in-Law and adult Niece! Yayyy!!

puddle said...

A weekend for sons! Mine arrived at 12:03 a.m. Well. . . . he *said* Sunday, but that I wasn't expecting, lol!

Pat said...

Hi Folks,

A smile for you, Puddle. You have great children, as do we all, I think.

Hi listener, yes, it's still coming down. We have over two feet. I just went out and broomed off the car,and it doesn't look like it's going to stop soon. I've never wanted to live in Alaska, and I wonder what it would be like if this snow continued for a week. Oh well.

We have power, heat, communication, light, food. We're good.

I think that there really is a movement for change, and that Bernie is representing it well. The need and passion for change isn't going to go away no matter what the machinations are by the two political parties. I'm hoping that we will have Bernie as President. It seems to me that Hillary simply hasn't been aware that politics old style are not drawing enthusiasm or interest. Times have changed; money in politics is corrupting; and governance is about people and not influence from big money, or at least that's what we're calling for.

I'll keep you updated.

puddle said...

"Three cheers for small libraries!" ~ Shirlee
TEN CHEERS FOR SMALL LIBRARIANS!!

Shirlee Murphy said...

Wow! Thank you, Puddle! Love it. Glad I made Listener happy
also...I did think of her library also.

It is comforting to know your son comes along and does
the needed things for you. Give him a thank you...or a hug
from the two in Greensboro. It is a lovely, sunny day here.
I think we are done with our below 50 temps until next fall!

Happy Sunday....love to all.

puddle said...

Two weeks ago, we had one of those big wind down-bursts, there was a HUGE bang/crack on the front porch, but I could see nothing when I went to look--it was past midnight. Next morning, I noticed my big round thermometer was laying on the porch deck, and the cross brace to which it had formerly been attached was laying on the ground. This end of Beau's cross river cable was attached to it, so I warned Scooter that it needed fixing. I never hook da boy to it since I can't guarantee that he'll come back, but it's sort of the kiddle's dog sitting system. He came back and said: you didn't mention the tree. . . . which had fallen across the cable and pulled the board onto the ground. It's huge, and clear across the river, both sides, so it's embarrassing that I hadn't noticed, lol! My world is really getting tiny.

Nancy got a huge tree across her driveway, same night.

puddle said...

Well, the grand uses of chainsaws in the hands of first born sons, lol! The tree made a fine addition to the fire last night, and ended producing S'mores! Kiddle's still at work, will have lunch and depart sometime early afternoon, with a return scheduled for Mothers' Day. Yay!

Noticed the last couple of times through on Jewel, a fabric used for curtains at Rose Cottage--a buff chintz with roses, a fabric I once owned 10 yards of. Timing's right--1984, year I bought fabric, and year Jewel came out.

Pat, hope your snow's done, and melting, and you are all dug out.

And Shirlee, listener's a pretty small librarian, too, grin. . . .

Shirlee Murphy said...

The more librarians the better...small or tall! Glad your Kiddle is Coming back for Mother's Day.
Lovely day here...aiming to head out for a walk this afternoon. Just now I need my morning nap...
might not need it if I would make myself turn off Netflix, Laurelynn Dossett, Hobbits, etc and get
to sleep!

Happy day to all. Stay well, happy, etc.

whitznd said...

Happy to see a new tradition with Bernie first.

Spent a long time at the LD caucus yesterday 9 a - 10 p doing paperwork, being sgt@arms, being the timer for over 400 30 sec speeches. And ran for national delegate with my lighted Bernie sign. actually managed to get a bunch of votes.

Long, rewarding day.

much love to all

listener said...

We are home from the Boston Marathon where PhD*Son ran the whole race in just 3 hours and 26 seconds! His time last year was about a minute and a half better; but this year was hot and sunny and he got leg and stomach cramps for 7 miles between miles 14 and 21. Plus, his wife and eldest daughter (Eldest*Grand age 9) were at Mass General Hospital all day having Eldest*Grand checked out for possible appendicitis! In the end the docs decided it was a strained abdominal muscle aggravated by a stomach virus. (She does gymnastics and recently had a big meet.) So that was a stressful day on several levels for him and he did great anyway. Impressive!

It was our first time at the Boston Marathon, and we got to spend time with my brother and sister-in-law, our niece, PhD*Son's other daughter (whom I really should name as) Smiley*Grand, age 6, who had a home made sign encouraging Daddy along, and patiently watched for him and put out her hand to have it touched by Daddy as he ran by us with a big smile on for her. :-) Plus Daughter and Baby*Grandson were there as well!! Yayyy!!!

Wild and crazy and a long way to go to see your son for 3-4 seconds. But quite worthwhile! :-)

puddle said...

There's a line in Downton where Mary suggests that Isis is ill because "She probably ate a dead squirrel or something equally foul." Today Beau, on a walk with Cooter, found and chowed down on a dead squirrel. Of course, no one's by way of removing such a trophy from a happy dog's mouth. But it does make you wonder *why* they don't get ill from it. . . . I 'spect he did quite a bit of that during his lost period as a puppy.

listener said...

I tried to post from away but my iPhone got all fussy and wanted my password and danged if I can ever recall those things without looking at my secret list which was here at home. I wanted to say, puddle, that there have been some pretty serious downburst in my neck o' the woods too. and they are amazingly swift at causing damage.

Just learned that our two daughters-in-law who are sisters have a funeral to go to this week, as their beloved Uncle died totally unexpectedly. He was out boing with their Dad and became short of breath. So they stopped to rest, but it wasn't enough. He had a heart attack and died on the trail with their Dad. No hint of a heart issue prior! So I will have VT*Grand here from Wednesday to Saturday as it's school vacation week, so her Mom can go hang out with her Dad and both her parents can go to the services.

I'm going to be T.I.R.E.D. (!!) but I sure am glad to be able to do this for them all. Idears about how to entertain our 8 year old "wild girl" would be appreciated…! XOXOXXX

puddle said...

Downbeats really do equal "a bolt from the blue". . . .

Eight year olds? Can you find a place to chalk a hopscotch? Find a ball and jacks? Jump rope? Audiobooks? Is 8 old enough for A wrinkle in Time?

Yesterday was *definitely* the warmest day of this year.

Join me in praying for New York.

puddle said...

Okay--DOWNBURSTS!

Pat said...

Hi friends,

It's snowing here, big flakes, and we are soooo tired of winter. A few of us who live in the Storm Mountain community met at the post office. We're trying to deal with options for ingress and egress on Big Thompson Canyon as the county repairs the roads which will entail blasting along with widening and paving. We've decided the county needs to provide Chinook helicopters so we can get in and out. Grin.

Listener, what wonderful parents and grandparents you are. All the love and effort, generosity and nurture you give is a grace and blessing.

And so, we go on, all of us. I said a prayer that Bernie would win because I think that we have to have change, and if we don't, it will be at our peril. There was an item on NPR that said scientists are looking at what the earth will be in 10,000 years. We won't be here because if we don't start correcting our problems, the planet won't be inhabitable. So, the passion of a Bernie is really necessary because doing the same things that brought us to this situation won't change if we aren't committed to change.

Well, take good care of yourselves.

puddle said...

Ah, sorry you're not done with the snow yet. I'd hoped by now for sun and melting and little rivulets. . . .

puddle said...

Apr 1995 delegates
1% reporting Votes
Trump (won)
68.6%
774
Kasich
17.8%
201
Cruz
13.6%
154
Dropped out: Carson

listener said...

It doesn't unsettle me if Hillary won in New York tonight. What unsettles me is the Board of Elections confirming that 125,000 voters got purged from the rolls, and that enough of them were in Brooklyn where Bernie and Jane are from that I find myself unable to trust this process. I am tired of power plays and political greed. I am disgusted at vote fiddling and furious at election fraud, and I think incompetence is no excuse whatsoever. My town clerk goes out of her way to make sure anyone who wants to vote can vote. If we cannot have a fair system because power greedy people know how to rig an election, then how can we call this the land of the free?

listener said...

Pat, we really need to send in some helicopters to drop some serious loads of SNOWBGONE!

Pat said...

Hi Friends,

Dreary day here with some snow/rain mix.

I posted this on Facebook.

Here it is:

Some thoughts about the Democratic candidates. My perception is that Hillary is manipulative, calculating, and competent, but how much she has actually achieved for the common good in all her years of service is not that much. Her speeches and comments are cliched, rote, as if she is telling people what she thinks they want to hear. I don't feel that she reads true. Her judgment is faulty, as is everyone's, but hers involves major decisions like the Iraq War, like DOMA, like the repeal of Glass Stiegel, like her health insurance plan that was so private and exclusive, there was no collaboration, and it flopped.

In my opinion, she's the Democrat Nixon, paranoid, certainly skilled, but how ethical? I'll vote for her if she is the nominee, but I don't think the dissatisfaction with our broken system will go away. I think Bernie has ignited a revolution, and it's one we need. I don't think Hillary can be both revolutionary and tied to the benefits and powers of the old system.

Finally, I don't think she has the insight, the profound sense of what our system needs. I think Bernie does have that, but people fear change, and will take the devil they know over the devil they don't know, to quote a cliche.

puddle said...

Well, Sam has decided: she's going to San Diego University. I'd sent her the URL to listener's niece's page, but she was not moved. . . Cooter's comment: New Hampshire's *cold*. . . .

Last couple of days have been scorchers, but today is warm and moderate.

Heartbroken about New York.

listener said...

Purging voter rolls in a Presidential Election year should be illegal! I speak as an Election Official, knowing that voter turnout is greatest when there is a Presidential Election ensuing, and that a large increase in confusion created by a purge is predictable. It would make much more sense to do the purge in a year that does not include large races. Why on Earth would any sane person choose to purge in such a year?! Oh wait, let me guess…

VT*Grand is on the premises. Wish I could stay and converse, but I'd best sleep!

whitznd said...

Regards NY, I read a piece this morning that pointed out every contest that Hillary won was marred by election fraud and/or voter suppression. Not a good way to start an administration.

Purging voter rolls in a Presidential Election year should, indeed, be illegal. What gets me though was how very selective those purges were. GRRRRRRR

Shirlee Murphy said...

I am dis-appointed in NY results also. Hope remaining primaries
are better. However, even if Bernie loses.....he has changed the dialogue
and given ideas for the future for undecideds etc to ponder and make possible
more change in the future.

Warmish, partly cloudy in GSO. Love to all.

puddle said...

Heard my first peeper, finally!! A month late! Nancy's heard some from her tiny crick that runs right next to her house, but I sure haven't. Don't guess we've got snow in the next week. . . .

listener said...

We've been hearing them for a couple weeks!

listener said...

Very good point, Barb!!!

whitznd said...

Yes, Shirlee, Bernie has changed the dialogue. Which is exactly why he is staying through June. He wants every person that supported him to be able to vote for him.

I read a letter to the editor in The Nation magazine yesterday that really gave me pause. Call me a conspiracy theorist but, this person pointed out that the Trump Mania by the media might just be to keep Bernie off the radar so that Hillary could be the focus. Do you remember that Trump met with Bill before he announced that he was running. It could just be a setup to ensure that Hillary is the nom. Only problem is that Trump beats Hillary in every poll. Doesn't seem to be working to well.

Also, read three (3) different articles about Hillary's SuperPac spending over a mill to pay trolls. One paid person said that at first it was just praise Hillary. After about 3 weeks or so, they had to up their game and be more negative against Bernie. A while after that, they were instructed to be even nastier.

This guy, was ok with doing it at first, but since he had a brain, he did some research on Bernie and became a "closet Berner", still did his job, but didn't like it. When they were made to step up the negatives again, he bailed.

Quite frankly, I think it's a collusion between the DNC, HillaryPac and Trump to get her in. So disgusted.

But love you all! XOXO

Shirlee Murphy said...

Sounds nasty. I am beginning to fear Ctuz more than Trump.
Trump is out there--you know what hateful things he plans.
Cruz is devious, sneaky and nasty.

Today is Friday ...and Brenda Day! Will be glad to see her.
She was very busy this week organizing a major fund raiser
for our beautiful restored Carolina Theatre. Major project...
but dinner and theatre tickets were sold out! Packed the house.

You all behave! Still missing Jo.

whitznd said...

Jo is on FB and active as the dickens! Yay Jo!

puddle said...

Barb, I'm not seeing anywhere where Turnip is beating Hill.


Polling Data
Poll Date Sample MoE
Clinton (D)

Trump (R)
Spread
RCP Average 3/24 - 4/14 -- -- 48.8 39.5 Clinton +9.3
NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl 4/10 - 4/14 1000 RV 3.1 50 39 Clinton +11
FOX News 4/11 - 4/13 1021 RV 3.0 48 41 Clinton +7
CBS News 4/8 - 4/12 1098 RV 3.0 50 40 Clinton +10
McClatchy/Marist 3/29 - 3/31 1066 RV 3.0 50 41 Clinton +9
IBD/TIPP 3/28 - 4/2 819 RV 3.5 47 35 Clinton +12
PPP (D) 3/24 - 3/26 1083 RV 3.0 48 41 Clinton +7

All General Election: Trump vs. Clinton Polling Data

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Pat said...

Beautiful day here, temperature in the 70s. Pasque flowers, grape hyacinth, sagebrush buttercups, leaves in buds. So nice.

This was on my homepage last night. Here's the link if interested.
I just read an article entitled, How Hillary Became a Hawk. It's from the NY Times. Here's the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/24/magazine/how-hillary-clinton-became-a-hawk.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=0

This scares me. I don't trust her, feel that there's much we don't know about her, and that White Water and other problems may have had something substantial to be concerned about.

Here's another link an old friend sent. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/20/opinion/no-way-to-elect-a-president.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share
This is an analysis of the primary systems and what is going wrong.

Have a good evening.

puddle said...

If Ken Starr's multi-year $70million goose chase found nothing, I'm willing to let it go. What the Clintons are masters of is exploiting the system as it IS. Perhaps we need to work harder at closing loopholes so no one can exploit them?

Yay for the spring flowers and the warmth!! At last!

Pat said...

Good Morning,

I agree with you Puddle that the Clintons are masters at exploiting the system. It's interesting how power corrupts. I'm furious with the Democrats for imposing Hillary as the nominee via super delegates, via money to organizations to endorse her. We really do need major changes in our systems. The only way I can think of to get them is to participate, and that's where I'm grateful to Bernie and his supporters.

Well, as Thich Nhat Hanh said in one of his retreats, All civilizations fail. I cried. There's an article in Harper's May issue by Andrew Bacevich entitled, "Imperium". If we ever thought we were always the good guys, he looks at our military industrial complex over the last hundred years, and yes we are imperialists. Along with the righteousness, we've acted so that we might be the world's super power. But, it's costing us in many ways, and it probably can't last.




Jo_in_Vermont said...

Thanks for thinking of me Shirlee. I really don't have much to say here anymore.
I will always be thankful for what Howard Dean has done, but I'm not going to be involved in the constant worship of him any more. I think he's a sellout, I am SO disappointed in him, so I'll leave you all to do that without me. frankly it hurt to be shit on here for expressing my honest opinion of him and if any of us can't freely express our opinion I want no part of the conversation.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Oh, Jo....so good to hear from you. I was really wondering
How you are and if you love your new living arrangements.
It sounds a bit like mine ..and I love it more every year.
Always...wishing you well......

Jo_in_Vermont said...

I like my apartment, the building is new and really nice but this place is the most depressing place I have ever lived. I don't know one person who is renewing their lease - problem seems to be mostly management and a couple of people who keep making false complaints about some folks that they don't like, trying to get them excited. very junior highish. I'll have to move soon anyway, I can't afford it on SSI. Maybe the next place will be better. ;-)

Jo_in_Vermont said...

that should be trying to get them evicted, not excited, LOL!

Pat said...

Hi Jo,

I'm sorry that you felt that you were denigrated for expressing your opinion. I think we are all disappointed with Howard Dean. When he lost his bid to be nominee, I grieved. I had so much faith in his energy, his values, his statements.

It's hard to believe that he would be a lobbyist. I'm wondering who and what he is lobbying for. And, that so many prominent Democrats endorsed Hillary before the contests even began is dismaying.

For instance, Planned Parenthood came out for Hillary some months ago. I'm so grateful to Planned Parenthood. In the 60's when we decided we could only support two children, and I couldn't take the birth control pills, Planned Parenthood was affordable and respectful when we inquired into tying tubes or a vasectomy. Would I still support them knowing they had endorsed Hillary? It's problematical in our system with money and influence so all encompassing.

For me, Bernie Sanders has expressed and demonstrated the courage of his convictions. That makes him exemplary.

Anyway, dear Jo, you are a friend and will always be a friend. I hope that your living situation becomes more of what you need and want.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

when peeps here piled on, you all made it clear (except Barb) that you weren't disappointed in Howard, that I was wrong to be so disrespectful of someone that had done so much. I don't happen to think just because someone has done good in the past we should look away when we don't agree with something they are doing. since then it seems that some may have changed their minds, maybe realized that I wasn't posting bs about him. doesn't matter, if people want to have a conversation with me you know where to find me.

as for his lobbying, it's pretty easy to find out what he has been up to. for a number of years he has spent a lot of time in China lobbying for his 'healthcare industry' not sure if he is still traveling there much.

clip... Dean, though he rarely discloses the title during his media appearances, now serves as senior advisor to the law firm Dentons, where he works with the firm’s Public Policy and Regulation practice, a euphemism for Dentons’ lobbying team.

The Dentons Public Policy and Regulation practice lobbies on behalf of a variety of corporate health care interests, including the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, a powerful trade group for drugmakers like Pfizer and Merck.


the majority in PP like Bernie, it's the corporate controlled board that made the decision to back Hillary, that's why he called them and other groups that would normally support him over Hillary 'establishment'. for every group or union that polled their members on who they wanted to support, they ALL chose Bernie. the ones backing Hillary didn't use member input.

Pat said...

Interesting. Thank you for the research, Jo. Again, I apologize for your feeling of being piled on. I think we were all conflicted about Howard Dean, trying to find a way to balance our disappointment and feeling of betrayal with what he had accomplished. Please accept our apologies.

I suspect that Planned Parenthood received a sizable donation as maybe did Emily's list and the National Education Association. The Clintons have indeed worked the system. If they are willing to do that for power, how will they use power?

Reading the article about Hillary in the NY Times, "When Hillary Became a Hawk", my heart plummeted. Someone I respect remarked that if Hillary is elected, we won't see another woman President for 100 years. I think that's just dismay being voiced, but I'm truly concerned about her as the nominee and President.

Thanks for your input, Jo. I remember how much I valued and value your reasoning and perceptions. Take good care of yourself.

listener said...

Hallo! I've missed you all!

I've been swamped with VT*Grand here for four days and three nights, but it went very well ~ our best visit ever, truly!! And her parents were so deeply grateful, as they had a wake and funeral to attend. Then her Dad, our Eldest, had to fly out to Colorado for a TawKwonDo event, while Daughter-in-Law got to spend a day hiking with her Dad. This is significant because just last Saturday her Dad was hiking with his cousin (who's also his best friend), when said cousin had a heart attack and died. I may have mentioned this saying they were biking (?) but Bill had heard "Biking" when our son said they'd been "Hiking." They were at the top of a mountain in NH when it happened!! Her Dad had to RUN DOWN THE MOUNTAIN for help. (No cell phone along!) The cousin was resuscitated in the ambulance but died before they got to the hospital. So sad. He was only 65 and had no hint of an issue prior. So I was quite willing to take care of VT*Grand (age 8) while they dealt with the pain and sorrow. VT*Grand was given the option of going, but decided not to. I am so glad I could take the edge off this time for all of them. I'm exhausted tonight, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Plus today we got to go to Older Grandson's 3rd Birthday party! WHAT FUN!!! He has a new swingset and I got to push him on the swing for something like an hour, while he invited all the adults at the party to come swing on the other swing. It was so sweet. He'd call out, "Mama, your turn!" or "Uncle, your turn!" etc., so each of us got a chance to have one-to-one time with him while he said things like, "I'm flying! Tweet, tweet!" :-D There is nothing so refreshing as the heart of a young child!

listener said...

Dearly beloved blogger tc (Terri Cain) told me several years ago that Howard Dean had sold out and she was disappointed in him to the point of shunning him. I was surprised and skeptical at first, which was simply disbelief, the desire not to let go of the Dream we all shared during the Dean Campaign, y'know? I had answered phones and done mailings at Dean HQ. Only for it to come to this? At first, I told Terri I would need to hear something from Dean as to the why of his choice to take on this lobbying job and exactly what his role is and his views about it. After all, he was (and remains to this day!) a strong supporter of the National Nurse bill…even though we all, including Nurse Teri, are so broken-hearted and disgusted with his lobbying and now his support of Hillary. =Sigh=

Jo, I don't remember piling on you. I'm certain I wouldn't have wanted to hurt you or make you feel you needed to leave this (especially THIS) blog…!!! I don't have a great memory for detail, so I can't recall what was spoken. Please tell me what I said to hurt you this much, because I would like to offer an appropriate apology. Does anyone have access to the related thread?

Can't you forgive us for not being as aware as you may have been at the time? Can you forgive us for being a bit slow to believe our former hero had fallen so far? Can you see that such assertions weren't really about you, but about where we each were in the journey at the time? I hope you can accept our sadness at having effectively driven you away. No one here is mean-spirited and no one here wants you gone. Please mull and see if you can yet find something redeemable in us.

You, dear blog founder, are missed.

Pat said...

Hi Friends,

We've been watching The Story of God on the National Geographic channel, a six part series with Morgan Freeman. It's a traveling quest to learn about the many religions and cultures who have asked the questions about God: who, what, where, why, and the questions we humans have about meaning in our lives, life, death, suffering, hope, virtue.

They have been meticulous in avoiding dogma and proselytizing. They show places in Israel, Peru, Tibet, Egypt, India, etc. all over the world. I'm enjoying it very much.

Thank you, Listener. You have expressed beautifully our love for Jo and each other and regrets for what has caused hurt, but not intentionally so. And Jo, yes, we have missed you on this blog, and we think of you.

So, have a good night folks.

puddle said...

Jo, love and light from here to there! ♥

listener said...

When VT*Grand was here she got talking with me about next weekend when our grandson (her cousin) will be Christened. Her word for a baptism: Bathtism. :-D

puddle said...

New thread!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

listener let it go. no one needs to be forgiven, you were only saying what was in your heart. you can't fix everything and it is not your place to.