Monday, April 25, 2016

Yes. Where?


79 comments:

Shirlee Murphy said...

Oh, Puddle...thank you. Michigan is my home state and it was beautiful
and doing well as long as Democrats held the reins. Once the Republicans
took over it began to crumble quickly......roads, highways, small towns
and this problem is horrible. Gov. Snyder needs to be outed ...one way
or another....and required to drink the poisonous Flint water.

WHY are Republicans so blind and heartless when faced with problems
of their citizens? Pure Evil!

whitznd said...

Agreed, Shirlee! Thank you for this, Puddle.

Stopping by quickly as am a work as usual.

much love to all you fine ladies.

puddle said...

Today the first day the door is closed to keep the cool in. . . .

I'd just be glad if these guys spent some real time in a real jail. Somehow, they seldom seem to, eh?

I think there's something--unfinished?--about the souls of the rich. The Brits did it in India, the Indians did it in India, we've done it here: what IS an "upper class"? What's the point to own a whole lot of stuff if you need to denigrate other humans to justify it to yourself? 'S all krezzy from where I stand.

puddle said...

Just ordered The Raj Quartet. I'd pretty much thought I'd done with reading, lol! And now have committed to 2,000 more pages. Funny, when I first looked, all the prices started in the $30s, so I put it off. When I looked again, it was $9+ so I bit. Got hard cover, with the hope that the print is a bit bigger.

Am starting Jewel for the 8th time--this time from back to front.

Shirlee Murphy said...

From back to front? Now,..now THAT is unique! Maybe an interesting
analysis of how the writer got from There to Here?

Expecting the Floridians this evening on their way to Baltimore to help
the daughter there with her third home birth. After that is done they are
on their way to The Rock and a busy summer.

Do I REALLY Want to vote for Hillary...NO! However, she will be better
than The Strangelings form the other party!

Love to all!

puddle said...

From a thread elsewhere about Jewel. . . . Because it needs repeating, it's that good.

Merrick may be a sadistic asshole, but it looks as if he could be a great wedding planner.

puddle said...

Nixon said: “Be sure to emphasize to all the southerners that Rehnquist is a reactionary bastard, which I hope to Christ he is.”

Wonder what the Turnip or the Cruz missile will nominate after all the good outraged progressives have refused to vote this year?

Nixon's worst appointments didn't happen at all because he faced a Democratic Senate and House. The new rePublican Prez will have no such problem.

Told my son that I'd bitten the bullet and voted for Clinton twice. He said, "Once, '96, because you couldn't have known in '92." But I did know. I knew this:
There is another rule. The public plays no part. The public is the audience; the audience does not write or cast the play. In 1988, the 1992 play was already being cast. Conservative Democrats were holding strategy meetings at the home of party fund-raiser Pamela Harriman. The meetings -- eventually nearly a hundred of them -- were aimed at ending years of populist insurrection within the party. They were regularly moderated by Clark Clifford and Robert Strauss, the Mr. Fixits of the Democratic mainstream. Democratic donors paid $1000 to take part in the sessions and by the time it was all over, Mrs. Harriman had raised about $12 million for her kind of Democrats.

The play was also being cast by a group that called itself the Democratic Leadership Council. Although lacking any official role in the Democratic Party (and often appearing more a Democratic Abandon Ship Council), the DLC claimed it was the voice of mainstream party thought. In fact, it was primarily a lobby for the views of southern and other conservative Democrats, yet so successful was its media manipulation that it managed with impunity to call its think tank the Progressive Policy Institute.

In such places the important Democratic politics of the late 1980s was being made. Clinton may have bored millions of Americans on TV that night, but Clifford, Strauss, Harriman and the DLC found him intensely interesting, extremely intelligent -- an appealing pragmatist, willing to compromise, and fully at home with the policy jargon of the capital. He was not the only horse in their stable -- Pamela Harriman, for example, also liked Al Gore and Jay Rockefeller -- but as good as any they had.

http://prorev.com/wwmessa.htm

puddle said...

Interesting to note that the actor who played Merrick also played Sir Phillip Tapsell on Downton Abbey. Sybille's obstetrician.

Bernie's doing good in Connecticut.

THIS is weird. . . .


Maryland · 95 delegates
0% reporting

Delegates

Votes
Hillary Clinton (won)
46

0.0%
0
Bernie Sanders
17

0.0%

listener said...

I've figured it out. The only way that Hillary can win against Trump is if she has Bernie on the ticket, because the ONLY way I could bring myself to tick the box beside her name is if I'm also ticking Bernie's name. And since Hillary will do literally anything to get elected, she will ask him to be VP.

If that doesn't happen, or if he decides he'd rather not accept (and who could truly blame him?), then Trump will win the election. I would not blame Bernie for refusing. I would not blame Bernie if Trump gets elected. I would blame Hillary, her minions who engaged in election fraud, and the fool headed people who voted for Hillary and for Trump.

Dear God, I cannot stand the thought of Trump as President. I also cannot vote for Hillary.

Bernie eluded today to possibly having Elizabeth Warren as his VP. I wish he'd said that 6 months ago. Might have changed history.

=Sigh=

Pat said...

Early Morning Thoughts:

Hi Listener. How much I'm in sympathy with your feelings. I dreamed of Hillary last night. I'm wondering what it would be to have a personality that polarizes, that brings about dislike and distrust.

I don't think Hillary and Bill differ in their policies, just that Bill is so much more amiable. I read that when Bill decided to run for President, he met the approval of the leaders in the Democratic Party which had moved to the right. He fit their criteria. We were at the NEA convention in Washington DC at the time and I remember that Bill was very congenial. A revolutionary he wasn't.

For what it is worth, we are in a time of enormous change worldwide, and typical of human society, people are afraid, become obdurate, and vote against their own best interests. It's not hard to see how dictators, demagogues, and fascists come to the fore in times of upheaval. When our economy is based on consumerism, then we have instability. Intel is laying off 12,000 workers in the Northwest. That's huge.

The good news is that Bernie and his supporters have changed the dialogue, have brought to consciousness the inadequacy and failures of our systems. That won't go away if we keep it alive. He has already forced the Clinton campaign to the left, and if we stay focused and if she wins, we may be able to make correctives in the system.

Sigh! We worked for Eugene McCarthy, Howard Dean, and others as progressives. It may be that the best we can do is change the dialogue, work towards more Progressive candidates in all areas from towns to counties to states, to the national scene. What I think we have to consider is that the Republicans will further the failures in the system and harm all of us in the long run.

Just some perceptions after a discouraging loss yesterday.

whitznd said...

She'll only stay to the left if we stay engaged and FORCE her to stay to the left. But she'll go to the right as is her wont.

love to all you ladies

Shirlee Murphy said...

Good analysis, Pat. Or summary...and what is up with
Bill's health? He looks terrible.

Brenda andI had a good time with the travelers last
evening. Son-in-law walked over to the Irish pub and
restaurant and carried back our choices. Good time
had by all.

Off to the rheumatologist today...finally.

Love to all...have a good day.

listener said...

As always, a good dialogue here. Thank you all so much for caring and conversing and not attacking one another. It matters.

Bernie is right that he can't do it without We the People standing up for a revolution. It seems to me that between the election fraud and fiddling and the fears of a Trump Presidency, there are not enough people standing up for revolution.

Someone asked me this morning how I could say I won't vote for Hillary with SCOTUS nominations at stake. That really kind of ticked me off, and you know how infrequently that happens. I surprised myself with the intensity of my response:

It's an issue of trust. My vote is worth more to me than voting for the least offensive candidate, especially when my own trustworthy Senator is running. If the party doesn't like that, the problem is with the party not me. I do not trust the Clintons with power, I do not trust that this isn't another stolen election, and at age 60 I no longer expect the best of a broken system. The "party knows best" approach has failed us repeatedly. If I have to hold my nose to vote again, I'm sure to pass out before my hand makes the mark. If the party wants a good vote outcome, give us a good candidate fairly. Bernie has consistently polled strongest against Trump! I don't "get on board"; my vote is my voice, not a rubber stamp. The party had best wake up before it's too late.

I'll leave you with this well written piece from Huffington Post, which gives pause.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/dear-fbi-the-democratic-p_b_9784334.html

puddle said...

I remember reading, many years ago, an article by Margaret Mead about women in combat. That in cultures where it had been tried, where women actually fought and killed (rather than acted as support), they were SO violent and unforgiving, that the men around them were appalled. And put an end to it.

She posited that over time, men had made a game of war--with rules about honor, what you can and can't do, when to stop, etc. Whereas women never had. In nature, a female hunts to feed her family, it is no game. If you trigger a female to fight, she won't quit. And the carnage is huge.

I've wondered if Hillary hasn't been under fire for so long that she's been triggered? She is very unpleasant for me to listen to, gives me the willies, to be honest. And yet I remember that Saul Alinsky, a man I come close to worshiping, adored her.

She's a very different critter from me--I'm neither ambitious nor competitive. Fact is that although I observe, and have for a lifetime, competitiveness, I do not understand it at all. If I've won prizes, and I have, it was pleasing to me as a measure of my succeeding against myself. If I've beaten someone at a game, I've felt badly for the other's losing. I think I must be missing some DNA that everyone else has.

Now I need to go apologize to my grands for the world we're leaving them.

puddle said...

Shirlee, about backwards--I had a teacher in grad school who always did one proof on a MS backwards. He said it allowed him to see actual words. If you read forward in text you know, your eyes, your brain makes it "right" before you can see it. Without context, you can actually see. . . .

When I actually earned my living proofreading, I discovered another brain trick--called a "proofreader's devil". Which is a line of text with more than one error. You discover ONE, and the soul sez GOTCHA! and can see no more. My typists were awful--frequently had three or four errors per line. (before spellcheck) My job was hell.

Next job, they were beginning to get spellcheck, and the typists crowed that I'd be out of a job soon. Except, of course, for things like this: We must check the railroads' right away. [right of way]

listener said...

Bernie is going to stay in the race. At the same time, he is laying off hundreds of staffers.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/28/us/politics/bernie-sanders-campaign.html?_r=0

I've noticed that I'm getting fewer requests for contributions from the Sanders campaign.

I've been trying to get over to Bernie HQ for weeks. Last week I ended up taking care of VT*Grand so her parents could go out of state for a funeral. This week I have her cold. But I *AM* going to get there next week, and here's the really odd thing: Now that the moment has come and passed when we see that Bernie is not likely to be the nominee, I feel freer to go to HQ. Why? It's not that I feared I'd bring bad luck by being there. (It felt that way, but I'm not superstitious.) It's that I was at Dean HQ the day Joe Trippi walked out, and felt the mood shift. I was in the room when Howard Dean announced the end of his candidacy. I think it must have been somewhat traumatic, because I knew on some level that I could not bear to be there if it happened again that way with Bernie. In fact, it would be worse, harder, more wrenching, because, truth be told, Bernie is more ready to be President than Howard was. =Heavy Sigh= It kills me that Dems want the rest of us to "get on board" when we know it's a sinking ship. It's downright insulting, in fact. It's my vote, and it's more sacred than ANY agenda, no matter how noble.

listener said...

Blogger Susan suggests:

"We really need a better system than just two major parties that lock out millions of voters and keep them from having a say in democracy."

I"m all for that! How about a Progressive Party that only takes donations from ordinary citizens?

Pat said...


Good Morning,

I have a cold here as well. It's been a good winter without colds, and now spring brings them. Oh well. Supposedly we could get 10 inches to two feet of snow in the next couple of days.

I was heartened to hear that Bernie's folks will work to shape the agenda at the convention. It tells me what we've recognized: it's about the country, the systems, where we are going, equality, the environment, the people. It's not just about one person being president. It feels so sane.

And yes, I was devastated when Howard Dean dropped out, but bless him, he worked to get Barack Obama elected, and that was essential. Can you imagine what it would have been if we didn't have Obama as President? In fact, I wish he could run for a third term.

Well, here's hoping that somehow we can salvage this country despite the craziness going on. We've been so blessed as a generation. And, I still wish, pray that Bernie will be President, maybe a contested convention?

So we go on.

Pat said...

Hi Puddle,

Your analysis of women warriors was very interesting. Like you, I dislike Hillary, am repelled by how she presents herself, feel that she has sold out to the system. Yet, this is the system we have, and both Hillary and Bill have manipulated it, used it, and have found success. That she would even run for this election I find deaf and blind to what we need. Surely she knows that the system is broken, that both Clintons have way too much baggage to bring about unity, that we need to disown corporate welfare, corporate influence on policies, the inequality, lack of opportunity, the outrageous costs of beyond high school education, the racism and segregation we are still experiencing in this country. Our privatizing of prisons, our incarceration of minor offenders, our constant commercialization of everything, our loss of community, our militarization, so many correctives and repairs are needed. I don't have the sense that Hillary cares or will care, and the whole planet is affected by what we do.

I don't have any answers, and I'm mystified that people could actually support a Trump, a Cruz, a Fiorina, and I worry that if Hillary is the nominee, we are going to lose to Republicans, and I fully understand and sympathize why no one wants to vote for her. It's a real dilemma.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Pat, I agree...it is most unlikely that ago tally ambitious person like
Hillary recognizes that part of herself. So, not surprised. I may have
mentioned my grandson-in-law who has done security for Hillary ...
and she was always trying to bend those rules. Asked for her ID..
standard practice...she would try to charm her way out...
"Come on,guys you know me." Yes, Mrs. Clinton we do..but we must
Still see your ID. That attitude likely pervades....always. Scary.

Thanks for your explanation, Puddle of your back to front reading, watching!

Love to all. Have a happy day.

Shirlee Murphy said...

...oops.. Correction...first line..should be "totally ambitious".... Sorry.

puddle said...

Chilly today--fifties, brrrrrrrrrr!

Two beautiful little vignettes from Jewel. Teddy getting out of bed and shaking his slippers to clear them of scorpions. And many episodes later, Susan getting out of bed, and picking up her slippers from the night table and putting them on, presumably for the same reason.

Studying just before I went to China, I remember being quite stunned to realize that the Opium Wars were fought for the purpose of making the Chinese accept opium trade. By the East India Company. Who was making a bundle of selling Chinese tea to the Brits, but didn't want to pay silver for it. So the East India Company sold opium in China for silver, and then paid the Chinese in silver for the tea.

*These* are the dudes who went to India in 1600, and got the Brit government to support their little wars. . . . And got a whole nation to turn its soul inside out pretending they were doing something wonderful. Ack. Heck, they kept even the missionaries out for 200 years until forced by Parliament to let them in. The missionaries were certainly looked down upon by the rest--the government and the military, but also certainly at least tried to save lives along with souls.

puddle said...

listener, there's a sale on the almond flour I use at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Wellbees-Super-Blanched-Almond-Powder/dp/B00CLLV1BS?ie=UTF8&dpID=51c%2BZvVr2IL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR121%2C160_&refRID=AW65Y947A6Z6M2FKBBHF&ref_=pd_lutyp_rh_bia_6_2

$39 as opposed to $49. Bargain!

Shirlee Murphy said...

Thanks for theTrump link,Puddle. Best to know our enemy

even if he is nothing but a blow-hard who has pawned himself
off to the unwashed masses!

This week someone mentioned to me how "angry" Bernie was.
My feeling is if we care about how things are for the future we
are angry and frustrated! Well, at least I am. Trump is a terror
and Hillary is a known unknown!

Looking forward to Harriet Tubman on our $20. Take that Andy
Jackson! Love to all.

whitznd said...

Just found this: West Virginia

According to the most recent Metro News Poll, Bernie Sanders has a significant lead over rival Hillary Clinton in the Mountain State. Sanders holds a near 2:1 lead (57 percent-to-29 percent) over the former Secretary of State. We predict that Sanders will win the state but the delegates will likely be split evenly between the two candidates.

What say you, Puddle? is that accurate?


for the rest of the article http://highbinder.org/sanders-win-primary-nomination/

puddle said...

Don't know, Barb--that's a February 22 poll. . . . Couldn't find anything more recent. I sure hope so.

listener said...

Thanks for the tip, puddle! I bought some! :-)

listener said...

Yesterday (Friday) was Bill's birthday, so he took the day off from work and we enjoyed several rambles. Today we are headed to Baby Grandson's house for his Christening on Sunday. The entire immediate family is coming (even though most of them are no longer church goers, so that's impressive). I'm reading a reading and leading the Psalm. Bill is reading the second reading. Back Sunday night, but Bill has Monday off too, to recover. Yay! My iPhone has been refusing to let me post (I have to remember a forgotten password!), though I can usually read posts. I'll be thinking of you!

puddle said...

Traveling mercies, listener!

Shirlee Murphy said...

Hope you have a lovely trip, Listener!
Damp, gray and a little windy here...but
Didn't stop a group of younger residents
Headed out in shorts and t-shirts.

I am staying in and catching up on some
reading ....looking forward to TWO whole
weeks with no doc appointments!

Love to all.

puddle said...

Two weeks? Yay!!!

I learned a new verb when I married the first time--local to Pittsburgh/PA. "Doctoring" When one reaches a certain age, they begin doctoring. . . . I laughed then. . . .

Shirlee Murphy said...

Ah, good new word! As in "I am doctoring for....RA, IBS, etc?" Or "...doctoring with ..."
or both? Love new words.

puddle said...

Nope, not transitive, lol! Just doctoring, as in beginning to visit the doctor/s regularly.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Ah, thanks Puddle... ThenI have been doctoring since May 1987 when RA hit.
Surely grateful the university covered all employees and retirees with BCBS.
Probably be living in a tent now,if not!

DNC has sold out to the dark side.

Happy Sunday all...expecting Brenda soon for our weekly Sunday Fun Fest!

puddle said...

Shirlee, how lovely!

I've been doctoring, off and on, since 2001. The heart failure then seems to have been subsumed with other ills. We go on.

Pat, hoping you're not snowed in!

And that listener had a lovely grand christening.

puddle said...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/nyregion/daniel-j-berrigan-defiant-priest-who-preached-pacifism-dies-at-94.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

listener said...

Made it there and back again. Grandson's baptism was the most beautiful and meaningful service I have ever witnessed a church community pull together for the sake of a member. Our family came together sweetly for it too. We are floating!

listener said...

Daughter surprised us by playing her Celtic harp at the start of the service! Then the choir surprised our Daughter with an anthem they'd prepared just for the occasion, to welcome the new little member of the community.

The anthem "I was there to hear your borning cry" made me cry! I made sure to thank choirmaster Tom afterward. (He beamed about it.)


I was there to hear your borning cry
by John Ylvisaker, 1999

"I was there to hear your borning cry,
I'll be there when you are old.
I rejoiced the day you were baptized,
to see your life unfold.
I was there when you were but a child,
with a faith to suit you well;
In a blaze of light you wandered off
to find where demons dwell."

"When you heard the wonder of the Word
I was there to cheer you on;
You were raised to praise the living Lord,
to whom you now belong.
If you find someone to share your time
and you join your hearts as one,
I'll be there to make your verses rhyme
from dusk 'till rising sun."
In the middle ages of your life,
not too old, no longer young,
I'll be there to guide you through the night,
complete what I've begun.
When the evening gently closes in,
and you shut your weary eyes,
I'll be there as I have always been
with just one more surprise."

"I was there to hear your borning cry,
I'll be there when you are old.
I rejoiced the day you were baptized,
to see your life unfold."


Youtube video of a choir singing it, which sounds most like what we heard today!
http://ingeb.org/spiritua/iwasther.html


Youtube video with the composer singing it, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJI3NFT5T_c

listener said...

Oops! Wait, this is the link to the choir singing the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca7EVzLzdTE

Pat said...

Good Morning,

First blue sky in about four days. It's cold, though, and we got about six inches of snow. It's been grim, gray, cabin fever time.

The baptism sounds beautiful, Listener, and how wonderful to have a community come together in joy and in spirit.

Getting older and knowing our bodies decline in health is difficult, but how much that unites us as humans, knowing that each individual's life has trials along the way and how we cope with them. We really are together in our experiences and sharing them. I think it can make us wise and and more loving.

I agree Shirlee, that the DNC has gone to the dark side. I think of all the money that the media gets, the planners, staffers, and other entities in our carnival like elections. What a waste. If Canada can have a six week election season, why can't we have at least an eight week season. We seem to have years of it, and it's not productive.

Well, have a good day, friends.

puddle said...

http://www.salon.com/2016/04/25/maybe_donald_trump_has_really_lost_his_mind_what_if_the_gop_frontrunner_isnt_crazy_but_simply_not_well/

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/5/1/1519169/-What-to-do-when-the-world-is-ending-live-fast-have-sex-early-die-young#comments

Been doing spring cleaning--defrosting a fridge and freezer, mopping a *very* neglected floor. . . . But feeling good enough to DO it--blessing! Anyways, that's a perfect combo, lol!

listener said...

I am all for full power Spring cleaning, and all for a shirt election season!! YEAH!!!

listener said...

Um, make that a SHORT election season. LOL! There are certainly shirts enough! Ha!

Shirlee Murphy said...

So happy you feel well enough to do all that, Puddle!!! Stay well!
We are in a spell of mostly gray, some rainy, muggy weather.
Switching back and forth between a little heat or some a/c!

Strangest election season I ever remember ..with the weirdest
characters on the right.....!

Love to all.

puddle said...

Funny thing about "charm"--Reagan and Clinton both seemingly had it, for large swaths of the population. Whereas, for me, both totally creeped me out. But even if it/they didn't, what kind of qualification is that for President? Shirts, indeed.

puddle said...

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/live-indiana-democratic-primary-exit-poll-analysis/story?id=38843316

Looks like Bernie may have another win on his hands.

listener said...

CNN is reporting that Cruz is dropping out tonight.

listener said...

With 52% reporting, Bernie is now ahead by 5.6%

puddle said...

May 3
Indiana · 83 delegates
61% reporting

Votes
Bernie Sanders
53.1%
219,320
Hillary Clinton
46.9%
194,086

listener said...

With 59% reporting, Bernie is now ahead by 5.8%.

listener said...

Whoa! Thanks, puddle! Where are you getting your results?

With 61% reporting, Bernie is now ahead by 6.1%.

This has been a steady upward trend all evening! May it continue!!

listener said...

Whoa! According to CNN:

With 60% reporting, Bernie is now ahead by 6.6%.

listener said...

With 68% reporting, Bernie is still ahead by 6.6%.

listener said...

With 92.9% reporting, Bernie is ahead by 5.4%.

Can anyone explain to me why they show Bernie with 42 delegates and Hillary with 43?

listener said...

With 95.7% reporting, Bernie is ahead by 5%.

listener said...

I hadn't thought of this, but Cruz dropping out turns out to be good for Bernie. Here's why:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abramson/5-reasons-bernie-sanders-wins-big-with-cruz-dropout_b_9834348.html

puddle said...

Because SUPERDELEGATES?

whitznd said...

If Bernie gets in, hopefully, he'll get rid of the superdelegates. they, along with DWS are despicable.

puddle said...

When I was in college, the elder sister of my best friend, perhaps the brightest woman I have ever known, gave me a copy of Brideshead Revisited with instructions to read it, as it was the best thing ever written in the English language. Never did. After just having watched the first episode of the DVD, I'd have to agree.

listener said...

puddle, apparently Cruz's peeps are more likely to vote for Bernie than Trump.

listener said...

With 99.9% reporting, Bernie has won Indiana by 5.4%.

So naturally Bernie got 44 delegates and Hillary got 45..?

What don't I understand?

There are 3 more to award. I sure hope that Bernie gets all three!!!

whitznd said...

Like Ron Paul said, the elections are rigged.

puddle said...

Beastly cold here today. Hard rain just before dawn, river well over bridge now, and loud. To bed at 5:30 in aid of finishing Brideshead. Funny, I got reinterested in Brideshead because the actors in Jewel commentaries were raving about it. They were right.

They used huge chunks of Waugh's directly into the narration, so in many ways one can hear the voice of the book. Necessary and wise I think.

And this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2042161/Downton-Abbey-v-Brideshead-Castle-Howard-list-worlds-10-greatest-mansions.html

The rains and flooding prevented Nancy from bringing home the mountains newest member--a Labradoodle named Meg.

listener said...

I just heard from National Nurse Teri that Rachel Maddow is interviewing Bernie tomorrow in Vermont, 9pm ET/6pm PT. So interesting! I was at Bernie HQ briefly today and overheard; "Actually, I don't think we need to schedule an entire hour just for an interview." I wonder if it was related! :-) I was there today to get some Bernie buttons that I'd promised to a blogger, plus I brought the staff and interns a box of chocolate fudge from Snowflake Chocolates. I wanted to bake them cookies or something, but ran out of time. Next time! :-)

listener said...

"FBI officials overseeing the probe now expect to complete their work in the next few weeks and then turn over the findings to the Justice Department, which will make a final decision on whether to bring charges against anyone."
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/05/politics/fbi-interviews-huma-abedin-clinton-aide/index.html

whitznd said...

Obama's Justice Dept will protect Hillary, much to progressives chagrin. I'm afraid that nothing will happen. This is going to really be an uphill battle. But people need to stay engaged after the election if we are to make a difference in how the Democratic Party sees itself. I, for one, will be totally engaged. We have a strong leader here in WA that will keep us together.

puddle said...

River's down, even with the bridge deck. Many clogged culverts. Earlier, saw a Great Blue Heron wading just next to the slab (where we pushed a piece of the old bridge). Always unexpected, always glorious.

listener said...

Rachel Maddow interviewed Bernie Sanders in Burlington, Vermont this evening. :-)

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/sanders-condemns-disruptions-ok-with-protest-681128003895

puddle said...

Looks like the Justice Department is not going to have to make any decisions.

US officials who have been briefed on the investigation say that the FBI has found no evidence that Hillary Clinton broke the law with her private email server.

http://www.politicususa.com/2016/05/05/email-scandal-crushed-fbi-finds-evidence-clinton-broke-law-private-email.html

listener said...

Ohhhhh, puddle. God give me strength.

I keep thinking of how this world sees us choosing between Trump or Clinton while we have this marvelously honest and good man right there to choose. We look like total idiots to the world…and maybe, as a nation, we are. That is so disheartening.

We need an Independent Party. Or better, no parties at all. Just vote without "helps." Parties are the bane of free elections.

And bad as the Parties are, Congress is worse, if only because the Parties push their crap every 2 and 4 years, while Congress is a continuous complex mess. Argh!

So, anybody got anything cheerful?

puddle said...

Waugh. . .to know and love one other human being is the root of all wisdom.

puddle said...

I sometimes feel like I need to apologize to my grands for the world they're getting. . . . But--when I was born, black and white were still segregated in the armed forces. It was still illegal for blacks and whites to marry in many states. Gays took their lives in their hands to come out, and were subject to blackmail if they didn't. Doctors studied black men with syphilis rather than treated. Orphan trains were within my mother's life (Edwin's mother was sent on one.) Blacks could hardly vote in the South. That year was the first year of the forty hour week. At 25, Medicare was established.

I thought Reagan would end us. He didn't. I thought W would end us. He didn't.

Much to hope for, much to be glad for, much to work for.

Pat said...

Good Morning,

We've had some beautiful sunny days here, but today through Monday should be a return to rain and cold. OK.

Puddle, I appreciate your thoughts, but reading a 2003 Progressive Magazine, humans have caused so much damage, violence, and mayhem throughout the world, and I just wonder, when, when, will we recognize that causing suffering through greed, anger, aggression affects everyone including the earth. An article about Bolivia and how native (Mestizo) miners died from silica poisoning as they were forced to mine tin which went to Europe and WWI; Iraq and the British installed monarchy, then the CIA deposition of the ruling party and Saddam Hussein's prohibition against labor unions, and it goes on and on.

We've equated politics with Hollywood and reality shows, and now we have Trump. It shouldn't be a surprise, I guess. I agree with you that there has been progress in many areas, and so we keep on trying. In 1968, I had to resign my teaching job because I was pregnant, though they let me substitute up until a week before my son's birth. Women couldn't get credit cards on their own. We wore dresses and heels to work, and to it was.

Well, have a good day.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Thanks for your perspectives . Laura Bush says she will not be supporting
or voting forTrump...is the first time I could ever stand the words coming out offer
mouth!

I am off to the bookstore this afternoon for an author reading. Daughter Dana's favorite
NC author reading from a novel about her childhood. Good chance to pick up a
signed edition for a gift for her. Plus, hang out with other bookies fora while....
..good times! Happy Saturday, all!

puddle said...

Nancy came down and cleared the culverts earlier, first cleaning flood of the season so lots of branches, etc. Including a beaver's dam (poor fella). Cool and sunny.

Made a huge batch of the vanilla cranberry cookies this morning (4 a.m.)-- heaven!

Kiddle canceled trip because of the rain, encouraged by his mother. Thought was there: it's enough.

Agree, Pat: humans are the most destructive species ever. I usually feel that bears would be better caretakers. But heck, even cockroaches would be. I think Mother must think of us as fleas, to be shaken off. We truly need to learn how to control the rogues rather than emulate them. . . .

Pat said...

Hi friends,

A two hour electrical outage here with thunderstorms, hail, lightning. Life simply stops without electricity, it seems.

We went into Estes Park and they had celebrations planned all day: duck races, many bands, farmer's market, sales from all the stores, but the day was cold, rainy, and it's likely the events didn't take place. Too bad.

I checked out E.O. Wilson's newest book entitled Half Earth wherein he says in order to preserve the planet and ourselves, we have to dedicate half of earth's surface to nature and ecological systems.

I have hopes, Puddle, that we can evolve, take responsibility for ourselves, our earth. Well, time to sleep. Take good care of yourselves.

listener said...

Well, now here's an encouraging word…

Maine Democratic Convention the first to abolish Superdelegates!
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13179464_10154588767616754_6025010509214659946_n.jpg?oh=f774748fdba09ecd5cdce311375bd27e&oe=57DF0C3D

listener said...

Happy Mother's Day!! You are all so wonderful. Here's a little trip to the garden center. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154588763086754.1073742203.637766753&type=1&l=3d406da2d4

puddle said...

New thread!