Shirlee, our five were similar to your girls, in a way. Our first two (brother and sister) are polar opposites, and our last two (brother) were polar opposites, and the son smack dab in the middle got along with everybody. LOL!
Good Morning! Later today I am headed to Burlington to oppose the proposed 14 story building. Currently the tallest building in Vermont is 8 stories. With the people of the city (my son and his wife included) upset, all but one member of the City Council keep approving the plan. Moreover, the taxpayers will be expected to pay for part of the (commercial!) construction! We will be granted 2min each to speak. Please send good vibes!
Good vibes your way,Listener....had the same thing happen in GSO just before I moved here. Some outside company wanted to build a a huge multi-story commercial building on this end of town...with three storey old brick buildings....enough fuss and they cut it down to five or six.....and is mostly empty except for a restaurant and patio on the street level. Fortunately a street level city parking lot is next to it. That gives a bit more feeling of open space.
Thanks for the new thread, Puddle...indeed Dumping Trump! LOve to all. Happy day.
We had that cool spell here, also....I actually was able to get out and walk ..and visit the bookstore. Not TOO bad yesterday....had an appointment with My primary care doc to review results of a bone density test...and what can be done. Gang at The Rock are posting photos and news....place is over run with babies and small children....fancy that!
Warmer today, but not insufferable--'tis August, after all, ne?
Finished Rome, X 12, and doing I, Claudius, prolly X 15. Just ordered The Piano, The English Patient, Out of Africa, and Grey's Anatomy, season 12. So shall be good for a while. Keep thinking I should redo West Wing, but the thought of *more* politics right now is just a bit much.
Hallo at last!! So much has happened in the last day or so. Italy's 6.2 and now Myanmar/Burma's 6.8! So tragic. My heart is with them.
I've been having a lot of fun with VT*Grand in this last week before school starts up again. Her birthday falls on the second day of school. (I sure wish they'd start schools AFTER Labor Day, as they used to!)
Did you all watch Bernie live tonight with his Our Revolution talk? I had the link all ready to watch, but family arrived just then and I didn't get to it until 9:45pm. Fortunately, it can still be seen here: https://ourrevolution.com
Yes, we had a house full for the speeches. It was great. A lot of them want to come back to watch Michael Moore's Where to Invade Next. We'll do that about the middle of September.
thanks for the link, Listener. I'm sharing it on FB for those friends that didn't get to see it. Such as Reed Webster.
I haven't had chance to listen to Bernie's speech yet, and I've only heard a rumble or two in the press. What I did hear was Bernie saying he does not like big contributions but it's up to the Our Revolution board. No insider info here anymore. Once I have chance to read reports and hear Bernie's speech, I'll be better able to comment.
That dear woman is still working hard to get the National Nurse Act (H.R.379) passed! Today I called the office of Rep. Upton (R-MI) to ask that he call a hearing on the bill soon. I said I’m a grandmother of six concerned about the future, and I am a *Vermonter* asking “Pretty please with *Michigan* Maple Syrup on top!” That got a warm laugh from his aide. ☺ Tomorrow I am going to call the office of Senator Alexander (R-TN) office to ask that he hotline the bill (known in the Senate at S.1205). (That would get it through the works super fast!)
If any of you would like to make a call in support of the National Nurse Act, here are the particulars. If you do make a call or two, please email and let Teri know. teri at national nurse.org Thank-you! ♥
Representative John Upton: 202-225-3761 Hello, My name is ___________________. I would like to leave this message for Congressman Upton. I am calling to request Congressman Upton schedule a hearing and mark up for H.R. 379, The National Nurse Act as soon as possible. This bill has strong bipartisan support in the House; it is endorsed by several nursing organizations including American Nurses Association-Michigan, that join the now 119 organizations in support. The Case Management Society of America also has endorsed. We all would like to see this bill passed this session. Thank you for taking this important message to Congressman Upton.
Senator Lamar Alexander: 202-224-4944
Hello, My name is ___________________. I would like to leave this message for Senator Alexander. I am calling to urge Senator Alexander to hot line S. 1205, The National Nurse Act of 2015 this September when the Senate resumes session. This bill has strong bipartisan support in the Senate as does its companion bill in the House, H.R. 379. It is endorsed by several major nursing organizations including the American Nurses Association; there are currently 119 organizations in support. We all would like to see this bill passed this session. Thank you for passing this message along to Senator Alexander and his HELP Committee staff.
TALKING POINTS Just in case:
1. Bill is simple, non controversial, no funds required for its implementation.
2. Designates the Chief Nurse Officer of the Public Health Service as the Nat. Nurse for Public Health. Goal is to elevate and enhance position of CNO to bring visibility to the critical role nursing occupies in promoting, protecting, and advancing the nation’s health.
3. Rise in chronic preventable conditions are bankrupting our health care dollars; with Zika virus and opioid addiction on the rise, it is critical that we have a recognizable public health nurse leader to guide the 3.4 million nurses who are poised to lead a national movement towards improved public health.
4. 119 supporting bodies support the bill, including the American Nurses Association, National Black Nurses Association, ANA-Michigan (Rep. Upton represents the 6th Congressional District of Michigan), Population Health Alliance, the Prevention Institute, etc..
5. H.R. 379 currently has 87 co sponsors- 44 Republicans and 43 Democrats. There is an identical companion bill in the Senate (S. 1205) that also has strong bipartisan support. The bill has had two successful Congressional briefings.
So, how is everyone today? As I said, I haven't yet had chance to listen to Bernie's speech and check out what the media is saying about some of the Our Revolution staffers walking out. I hope to do so this weekend!! But just as I thought I was going to have free time, I got a call from VT*Grand's Mom begging for "Grammie to the Rescue!" as she got a new job but has to start immediately and school doesn't start until Wednesday. We are leaving on Thursday for 5 days, so that doesn't give me much free time at home. But it's all for good reasons and I'm excited about being able to have all this extra time with VT*Grand as she begins third grade.
Just checkin' out Assange's location--still at the Ecuadorian Embassy. Hope they're charging him rent, lol! Saw that Alex Jones is running with it, which is good: all Jones fans are already Trumpettes. And he only goes with stuff that sounds/is insane to the rest of us.
Well, yep...could never keep up with Listener! Maybe once upon a time...no more.
Temps up again here..as of yesterday....higher today. Expecting Brenda soon for her Friday visit...bearing dinner, etc.
I did read about two board members of Our Revolution resigning....it seemed to me That it was something they all could work out...if the movement is that important.
You and me both, Shirlee! I can't keep up with me either! LOL!
But it was a good day. About to have two days ALONE with my Sweetie. Then a few more days with VT*Grand, a brief visit with our 3 year old Grandson and his little sister, who turns ONE next month, then clean, do laundry and pack, then birthday party for VT*Grand, then leave (Thursday morning) for Maine...stopping at the Puzzle Store in NH, then overnight with Daughter and baby Grandson (7months), as well as Son, DIL, Eldest Granddaughter (10) and her younger sister, who just turned 7years...during which time I will tend Grandson while Daughter and my Sweetie do more wallpapering. Then! On Friday, at last we blast north to Camden, Maine for two nights in a B&B to walk the streets again, enjoy the Schooner Festival and (most of all!) hear Paul Stookey sing live! Whoo hoo! Might be a little more wallpapering on the way back through, but we'll see.
I will be soon far behind in blogs and gardening and much more by the time we return. But I think it will be worth it.
Yes, the film was beautiful, Puddle, as was the book. I bought poetry by the author, and he's very good.
A beautiful day here, did the laundry at 7 AM and hung it on the line. Still going through books to give away. I call it Book-By-Book in my mind, touching them, occasionally skimming a passage, how much I've loved having them, reading them, learning, feeling accompanied by story tellers, poets, philosophers, travelers, wise people who had so much to share.
I found this on Facebook, a celebration of Flag Day in American Samoa. It reminds me of what it was like to be there. Flag Day is celebrated every April when Samoa became part of the USA as a territory. Sili Kerisiano from Fagasa speaks. He was our boss when we were in Faleasao Village. Here's the URL if interested https://www.facebook.com/americansamoatravel/
I am so happy you are enjoying your books as you pass them on, Pat!
We have had tremendously hot weather here.and just now a big old thunderstorm passing through...that should cool it down a bit...maybe!
Thanks, Puddle form reporting your viewing.....just reminded me how much I liked The English Patient when I watched it while still in Texas. Will add it to my Netflix list again.
I missed so much culture-wise in the 90's--starting a new business, mother in law arriving from China, marriage busting up, brief sojourn in the redwoods, return, and housebuilding, taking care of me mum. Pleasure to have the technology to play catch up.
For me it was mid 80's to mid 90's, Puddle....RA hits like a bomb, divorce, death of a dearly beloved, Death of both parents, early retirement, move from MI toTX......feel very lucky to be here in NC near Brenda. ...in GSO....where the local book dealer will walk a purchase from his shop to my apartment if either the weather or my body is nor co-operating. Life is interesting!
We're actually going to have 70s on Monday...?!?!!! I've forgotten how to dress for that! Ha!
Bill and I did *NOT* like the movie The English Patient. Didn't like how it began, didn't like the infidelity, didn't like the pace or the sadness in it. Ah well. I've never been partial to the desert, and need good scenery to truly love a film. The music was good, though.
They said we'd have 70s this week. Does that really have to begin with the middle of the night?! 74F at 1:30am makes for lousy sleeping weather! Did I mention the humidity is 81% with a dew point of 67? :-p
I can understand being partial to certain scenery, lol! When I came east, it took near twenty years to get used to not being able to see because there was always some green stuff blocking your view, grin.
Ah, that green stuff...have a good and lovely plenty of it here in Greensboro....named not for its greenery...but for General Nathaniel Greene...Revolutioary war hero. He was General Washington's second in command and helped win the war by enticing the British through the hills and greenery! His statue stands proudly on a corner just a block and a half away. I sometimes wander over there just to see him!
Ah! The innertubes!! Went looking for this poem, written about 8 years into my sojourn into green. Gave google only one line, in quotes. And got ONE response--my poem. From a 1969 copy of the Calvert Review, stored on the 'nets!
In Maryland
the green rejoices violently in every unplanned wood, on any drive the road-side grass leaps lion like, and even summer storms rage chartreuse against the sky. All the green, grown jungle, assaults my desert eye: I battle emerald, kelly, sea, and pea, and hurt for home where green is grown on purpose, for the gentle stretch of sage that leaves the sky an open blue and the sun free to fire itself quietly to glory in the evening.
Julia Douglass
Later, at a party, met the editor who was responsible for getting it in. She said she fought like hell for it--no one else in the room had a clue what it was about. Her name was Mara, and she was from Israel. . . .
The land that broke the plowshares of those whose vision dictated:
THE DESERT SHALL BLOSSOM AS THE ROSE. They bent their backs to hoes, named their river Jordan and only a sense of becoming saved them from calling that shrunken salt ocean The Dead Sea.
So they irrigated the earth with water and prayer, planted the crops for the crickets, and surviving that plague: the valley blossomed into ten acre blocks set with four square reason against the mountains’ rhyme.
And the City with its senses full of time endures . . .
II
GREAT SALT LAKE
The lake, whose surface will hold no image, with no sense of season, endures better.
Each winter with no ice forming, each spring with no renewing, every summer of necessary salt.
Each autumn the sea gulls rise from the flats to search for the crickets who have been a hundred years returning. The brine shrimp go about their small business aeons on end
waiting for the oceans’ return.
III
WALKING WEST
I will walk West from Salt Lake City to the flats, gulls and incipient sea for I am no longer wind and water but body and bone standing alone in a naked sun,
casting a shadow I cannot see for the light.
And with no knowing I what must be known, I would regain my sand and stone, rejoin the bleached coyote bones and being lonely for all white reasons, wait out this birth of a season of salt.
It happened!!!! The heat broke and it actually was in the 70s today, and a bit windy, and the humidity dropped!! It's AMAZING!!! I actually got some gardens weeded today, while VT*Grand recreated her Fairy House. AND!!!! She found two Monarch caterpillars on the wild Milkweed we left growing in the flower garden, and they were right next to her Fairy House! We are so excited!!! We have them in jars with Milkweed leaves to eat (changed daily) and cheesecloth over the opening. One is likely to make its chrysalis in the next day or so and the other by the weekend. VT*Grand is taking one home. :-)
Everyone accounted for! So good to hear from Jo...and know she is safe and doing well..except for sore hands...sure understand that.
Three month check with RA doc...will be starting a new med for very severe osteoporosis ....I was mightily inclined to say NO...but she assured me she has seen NO side effects from it....so will give it a Go,
We have light rain here ..and expected to get worse as Hurricane Hermione moves up the coast. Moved out Of the gulf, crossed Florida and on its way here. We sometimes get hurricane damage if that happens....and Laurelyn Dosset has a song documenting one which caused both her beloved river and herself to cry "Buckets of Blue." Take care all.
What a fool and embarrassment Trump is.....can't we just lock him up in one of his towers?
HAHAHA!! That's me. I sign onto my work computer with a work address now. That was about 5 years ago before my hairline started receding and my hair was nice and purple.
Cooled to the low 80's here after the rain.....ah, had a good walk, and stopped at the book store. Nothing more healing than being surrounded by many, many books seated in their comfortable event area in the back...good place to hang out, rest up, watch folks ponder which books to buy, or just sitting and reading.
We've had perfect weather for the Windjammer Festival, though I think the crews would like a tad more wind. It's doable, though. Excellent sunshine! All this and we got to hear Noel Paul Stookey (of Peter, Paul and Mary fame) tonight at the Camden (Maine) Opera House. Fabulous!!
Hot and dry weather continues here. I'm glad the hurricane has been downgraded. We are certainly seeing weather events all over the world. About 30 years ago, Denver was getting earthquakes. They figured it was because they were dumping waste water deep into the ground. Now Oklahoma has shut down 50 or was it 30? waste water wells. You'd think somehow the experience of Denver would have brought knowledge, but guess not.
Quiet here, still giving away books. There's a kind of freedom that comes with giving things away, and I don't have any regrets. I'm grateful for all the wonderful books I've known in my lifetime. In a sense books are like people: we read of their thoughts, experiences, imagination, and we interact with them. It's also very comfortable because we can choose how much time we spend, don't have to argue or conform, an individual experience with people, I think.
Well, take good care of yourselves. Happy Labor Day, a day without labor!
59 comments:
Anybody but Dump Truck is FIRST!!!
Egads, puddle, out of the frying pan and into the fire with that photo! Ewwwwww!!! Ew! Ew!! Ew!!!
LOL!
Shirlee, our five were similar to your girls, in a way. Our first two (brother and sister) are polar opposites, and our last two (brother) were polar opposites, and the son smack dab in the middle got along with everybody. LOL!
Saul Alinsky said that making your opponent an object of ridicule is one of an organizer's most powerful weapons. . . . Seems to work here.
Good Morning!
Later today I am headed to Burlington to oppose the proposed 14 story building. Currently the tallest building in Vermont is 8 stories. With the people of the city (my son and his wife included) upset, all but one member of the City Council keep approving the plan. Moreover, the taxpayers will be expected to pay for part of the (commercial!) construction! We will be granted 2min each to speak. Please send good vibes!
Ah, I see there is method in the madness.
Good vibes your way,Listener....had the same thing happen in GSO
just before I moved here. Some outside company wanted to build a
a huge multi-story commercial building on this end of town...with three
storey old brick buildings....enough fuss and they cut it down to five or
six.....and is mostly empty except for a restaurant and patio on the street
level. Fortunately a street level city parking lot is next to it. That gives
a bit more feeling of open space.
Thanks for the new thread, Puddle...indeed Dumping Trump!
LOve to all. Happy day.
HAHAHA! Good one, Puddle. I love the statement the Parks Dept put out about the statue!
Good vibes your way, Listener.
"NYC Parks stands firmly against any unpermitted erection in city parks, no matter how small."
Officials with a sense of humor.....worl can't be all bad!
Wonderfully moderate day here-->high, low seventies. Looks like tomorrow's good, too, before a return to summer. A/C hasn't been on for 48 hours.
Don't give up! VT*Grand on the premises until tomorrow evening. See you then! Meanwhile, prayers for Italy! http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37171953
We had that cool spell here, also....I actually was able to get out and walk
..and visit the bookstore. Not TOO bad yesterday....had an appointment with
My primary care doc to review results of a bone density test...and what
can be done. Gang at The Rock are posting photos and news....place is
over run with babies and small children....fancy that!
Love to all.
Warmer today, but not insufferable--'tis August, after all, ne?
Finished Rome, X 12, and doing I, Claudius, prolly X 15. Just ordered The Piano, The English Patient, Out of Africa, and Grey's Anatomy, season 12. So shall be good for a while. Keep thinking I should redo West Wing, but the thought of *more* politics right now is just a bit much.
Hallo at last!! So much has happened in the last day or so. Italy's 6.2 and now Myanmar/Burma's 6.8! So tragic. My heart is with them.
I've been having a lot of fun with VT*Grand in this last week before school starts up again. Her birthday falls on the second day of school. (I sure wish they'd start schools AFTER Labor Day, as they used to!)
Did you all watch Bernie live tonight with his Our Revolution talk? I had the link all ready to watch, but family arrived just then and I didn't get to it until 9:45pm. Fortunately, it can still be seen here:
https://ourrevolution.com
Yes, we had a house full for the speeches. It was great. A lot of them want to come back to watch Michael Moore's Where to Invade Next. We'll do that about the middle of September.
thanks for the link, Listener. I'm sharing it on FB for those friends that didn't get to see it. Such as Reed Webster.
Barb, listener, I was a little concerned about this: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/25/us/politics/bernie-sanders-our-revolution-group.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1 Any comments? Insider info?
I haven't had chance to listen to Bernie's speech yet, and I've only heard a rumble or two in the press. What I did hear was Bernie saying he does not like big contributions but it's up to the Our Revolution board. No insider info here anymore. Once I have chance to read reports and hear Bernie's speech, I'll be better able to comment.
National Nurse Teri is First!
That dear woman is still working hard to get the National Nurse Act (H.R.379) passed! Today I called the office of Rep. Upton (R-MI) to ask that he call a hearing on the bill soon. I said I’m a grandmother of six concerned about the future, and I am a *Vermonter* asking “Pretty please with *Michigan* Maple Syrup on top!” That got a warm laugh from his aide. ☺
Tomorrow I am going to call the office of Senator Alexander (R-TN) office to ask that he hotline the bill (known in the Senate at S.1205). (That would get it through the works super fast!)
If any of you would like to make a call in support of the National Nurse Act, here are the particulars. If you do make a call or two, please email and let Teri know. teri at national nurse.org Thank-you! ♥
Representative John Upton: 202-225-3761
Hello, My name is ___________________. I would like to leave this message for Congressman Upton. I am calling to request Congressman Upton schedule a hearing and mark up for H.R. 379, The National Nurse Act as soon as possible. This bill has strong bipartisan support in the House; it is endorsed by several nursing organizations including American Nurses Association-Michigan, that join the now 119 organizations in support. The Case Management Society of America also has endorsed. We all would like to see this bill passed this session. Thank you for taking this important message to Congressman Upton.
Senator Lamar Alexander: 202-224-4944
Hello, My name is ___________________. I would like to leave this message for Senator Alexander. I am calling to urge Senator Alexander to hot line S. 1205, The National Nurse Act of 2015 this September when the Senate resumes session. This bill has strong bipartisan support in the Senate as does its companion bill in the House, H.R. 379. It is endorsed by several major nursing organizations including the American Nurses Association; there are currently 119 organizations in support. We all would like to see this bill passed this session. Thank you for passing this message along to Senator Alexander and his HELP Committee staff.
TALKING POINTS Just in case:
1. Bill is simple, non controversial, no funds required for its implementation.
2. Designates the Chief Nurse Officer of the Public Health Service as the Nat. Nurse for Public Health. Goal is to elevate and enhance position of CNO to bring visibility to the critical role nursing occupies in promoting, protecting, and advancing the nation’s health.
3. Rise in chronic preventable conditions are bankrupting our health care dollars; with Zika virus and opioid addiction on the rise, it is critical that we have a recognizable public health nurse leader to guide the 3.4 million nurses who are poised to lead a national movement towards improved public health.
4. 119 supporting bodies support the bill, including the American Nurses Association, National Black Nurses Association, ANA-Michigan (Rep. Upton represents the 6th Congressional District of Michigan), Population Health Alliance, the Prevention Institute, etc..
5. H.R. 379 currently has 87 co sponsors- 44 Republicans and 43 Democrats. There is an identical companion bill in the Senate (S. 1205) that also has strong bipartisan support. The bill has had two successful Congressional briefings.
So, how is everyone today? As I said, I haven't yet had chance to listen to Bernie's speech and check out what the media is saying about some of the Our Revolution staffers walking out. I hope to do so this weekend!!
But just as I thought I was going to have free time, I got a call from VT*Grand's Mom begging for "Grammie to the Rescue!" as she got a new job but has to start immediately and school doesn't start until Wednesday. We are leaving on Thursday for 5 days, so that doesn't give me much free time at home. But it's all for good reasons and I'm excited about being able to have all this extra time with VT*Grand as she begins third grade.
listener, thee's plate runneth over, and down the table legs, lol! Glad you're enjoying it, and able. . . .
Hot returned today, with nobs on. A/C got turned on before dawn, and has been running since.
Assange is like the neighborhood kid who used to love to stick sticks in bicycle spokes and dump the other kids on the asphalt. Lovely critter, that.
Just checkin' out Assange's location--still at the Ecuadorian Embassy. Hope they're charging him rent, lol! Saw that Alex Jones is running with it, which is good: all Jones fans are already Trumpettes. And he only goes with stuff that sounds/is insane to the rest of us.
puddle... ♥
Well, yep...could never keep up with Listener! Maybe once upon a time...no more.
Temps up again here..as of yesterday....higher today. Expecting Brenda soon for
her Friday visit...bearing dinner, etc.
I did read about two board members of Our Revolution resigning....it seemed to me
That it was something they all could work out...if the movement is that important.
Just my take....
Love to all
Hi friends,
Still busy here, the weather cooler and some rain. Am really tired of politics, utterly nauseated with Trump. Will touch base again soon. Take care.
You and me both, Shirlee! I can't keep up with me either! LOL!
But it was a good day. About to have two days ALONE with my Sweetie. Then a few more days with VT*Grand, a brief visit with our 3 year old Grandson and his little sister, who turns ONE next month, then clean, do laundry and pack, then birthday party for VT*Grand, then leave (Thursday morning) for Maine...stopping at the Puzzle Store in NH, then overnight with Daughter and baby Grandson (7months), as well as Son, DIL, Eldest Granddaughter (10) and her younger sister, who just turned 7years...during which time I will tend Grandson while Daughter and my Sweetie do more wallpapering. Then! On Friday, at last we blast north to Camden, Maine for two nights in a B&B to walk the streets again, enjoy the Schooner Festival and (most of all!) hear Paul Stookey sing live! Whoo hoo! Might be a little more wallpapering on the way back through, but we'll see.
I will be soon far behind in blogs and gardening and much more by the time we return. But I think it will be worth it.
Just about three quarters the way through the second time for The English Patient. What an utterly lovely film! And Voldemort makes a fine hero!
Hi Friends,
Yes, the film was beautiful, Puddle, as was the book. I bought poetry by the author, and he's very good.
A beautiful day here, did the laundry at 7 AM and hung it on the line. Still going through books to give away. I call it Book-By-Book in my mind, touching them, occasionally skimming a passage, how much I've loved having them, reading them, learning, feeling accompanied by story tellers, poets, philosophers, travelers, wise people who had so much to share.
I found this on Facebook, a celebration of Flag Day in American Samoa. It reminds me of what it was like to be there. Flag Day is celebrated every April when Samoa became part of the USA as a territory. Sili Kerisiano from Fagasa speaks. He was our boss when we were in Faleasao Village. Here's the URL if interested https://www.facebook.com/americansamoatravel/
I am so happy you are enjoying your books as you pass them on, Pat!
We have had tremendously hot weather here.and just now a big old thunderstorm
passing through...that should cool it down a bit...maybe!
Thanks, Puddle form reporting your viewing.....just reminded me how much
I liked The English Patient when I watched it while still in Texas. Will
add it to my Netflix list again.
Love to all..stay cool, warm, well, ;)
Check this out! The marine biologist who spotted rare Blue Whales off the NH coast is our niece!! :-)
http://www.wmur.com/escape-outside/rare-blue-whales-spotted-on-nh-coast/41398994
I missed so much culture-wise in the 90's--starting a new business, mother in law arriving from China, marriage busting up, brief sojourn in the redwoods, return, and housebuilding, taking care of me mum. Pleasure to have the technology to play catch up.
For me it was mid 80's to mid 90's, Puddle....RA hits like a bomb, divorce, death of a dearly beloved,
Death of both parents, early retirement, move from MI toTX......feel very lucky to be here in NC near
Brenda. ...in GSO....where the local book dealer will walk a purchase from his shop to my apartment
if either the weather or my body is nor co-operating. Life is interesting!
We're actually going to have 70s on Monday...?!?!!! I've forgotten how to dress for that! Ha!
Bill and I did *NOT* like the movie The English Patient. Didn't like how it began, didn't like the infidelity, didn't like the pace or the sadness in it. Ah well. I've never been partial to the desert, and need good scenery to truly love a film. The music was good, though.
here's the score: I never cried during The English Patient, cried throughout Out of Africa, and only cried at the end of The Piano.
And I wish I could write a poem about Harvey Keitel naked.
They said we'd have 70s this week.
Does that really have to begin with the middle of the night?! 74F at 1:30am makes for lousy sleeping weather! Did I mention the humidity is 81% with a dew point of 67? :-p
I can understand being partial to certain scenery, lol! When I came east, it took near twenty years to get used to not being able to see because there was always some green stuff blocking your view, grin.
Ah, that green stuff...have a good and lovely plenty of it
here in Greensboro....named not for its greenery...but for
General Nathaniel Greene...Revolutioary war hero.
He was General Washington's second in command and
helped win the war by enticing the British through the hills
and greenery! His statue stands proudly on a corner just
a block and a half away. I sometimes wander over there
just to see him!
Happy day to all!
Ah! The innertubes!! Went looking for this poem, written about 8 years into my sojourn into green. Gave google only one line, in quotes. And got ONE response--my poem. From a 1969 copy of the Calvert Review, stored on the 'nets!
In Maryland
the green rejoices violently
in every unplanned wood,
on any drive the road-side grass
leaps lion like,
and even summer storms
rage chartreuse against the sky.
All the green, grown jungle,
assaults my desert eye:
I battle emerald,
kelly, sea, and pea,
and hurt for home
where green is grown on purpose,
for the gentle stretch of sage
that leaves the sky an open blue
and the sun free to fire itself
quietly to glory in the evening.
Julia Douglass
Later, at a party, met the editor who was responsible for getting it in. She said she fought like hell for it--no one else in the room had a clue what it was about. Her name was Mara, and she was from Israel. . . .
Children of a Season of Salt
I
SALT LAKE CITY
We were born in a city
descended from desert
stolen from salt.
The land that broke the plowshares
of those whose vision dictated:
THE DESERT SHALL BLOSSOM AS THE ROSE.
They bent their backs to hoes,
named their river Jordan
and only a sense of becoming
saved them from calling
that shrunken salt ocean
The Dead Sea.
So they irrigated the earth
with water and prayer,
planted the crops for the crickets,
and surviving that plague:
the valley blossomed
into ten acre blocks
set with four square reason
against the mountains’ rhyme.
And the City
with its senses full of time
endures . . .
II
GREAT SALT LAKE
The lake, whose surface will hold no image,
with no sense of season,
endures better.
Each winter with no ice forming,
each spring with no renewing,
every summer of necessary salt.
Each autumn
the sea gulls rise
from the flats
to search for the crickets
who have been a hundred years returning.
The brine shrimp
go about their small business
aeons on end
waiting for the oceans’ return.
III
WALKING WEST
I will walk West from Salt Lake City
to the flats, gulls and incipient sea
for I am no longer
wind and water
but body and bone
standing alone in a naked sun,
casting a shadow
I cannot see for the light.
And with no knowing
I what must be known,
I would regain
my sand and stone,
rejoin the bleached coyote bones
and being lonely for all white reasons,
wait out this birth
of a season of salt.
Julia Douglass
OoooOoOOOoooh! The last surely owes a debt of gratitude to TS Eliot. All unaware, indeed, but there, eh?
OHHH! lOVELY, Thank you, Puddle. I'll reread these beautiful, sensory, image rich, and longing-full poems.
Rain clouds overhead and thunder, so will turn off the computer.
What wonderful images, Puddle...and what it was like for you. Thank you!
It happened!!!! The heat broke and it actually was in the 70s today, and a bit windy, and the humidity dropped!! It's AMAZING!!! I actually got some gardens weeded today, while VT*Grand recreated her Fairy House. AND!!!!
She found two Monarch caterpillars on the wild Milkweed we left growing in the flower garden, and they were right next to her Fairy House! We are so excited!!! We have them in jars with Milkweed leaves to eat (changed daily) and cheesecloth over the opening. One is likely to make its chrysalis in the next day or so and the other by the weekend. VT*Grand is taking one home. :-)
wOOt on the goggled poem. puddle!
I will catch up with these when I am alone and rested...soon I hope. ♥
HELLO!!! Yes it is me, posting from the laundry room at Great Cedars!!! Hands are bad so this will be quick.
My love to everyone here. Lovely poems puddle, thank you for sharing.
XOXOXOXOXOXO
YAY JO!!!! So good to see you.
Loverly poetry, Puddle!
Glad the heat broke, Listner.
Hope it's cool for you, Shirlee
and hope the storm doesn't last too long, Pat!
Love to all!!!
Hallo from my crazy busy life!
In 24 hours I will be asleep and about to begin an extra long weekend vacation. I may actually be coherent when I return! :-)
{{{ ♥ JO! ♥ }}}
Everyone accounted for! So good to hear from Jo...and know
she is safe and doing well..except for sore hands...sure understand that.
Three month check with RA doc...will be starting a new med for very
severe osteoporosis ....I was mightily inclined to say NO...but she assured
me she has seen NO side effects from it....so will give it a Go,
Lovely fluffy clouds and blue sky day here .....
Love to all!
Gorgeous today--mid-seventies! Due to remain for a few days, too. Blessed.
We have light rain here ..and expected to get worse as
Hurricane Hermione moves up the coast. Moved out
Of the gulf, crossed Florida and on its way here. We sometimes
get hurricane damage if that happens....and Laurelyn Dosset
has a song documenting one which caused both her beloved
river and herself to cry "Buckets of Blue." Take care all.
What a fool and embarrassment Trump is.....can't we just lock
him up in one of his towers?
Pouring here! thunder, lightening! Hope it clears for Bumbershoot tomorrow!
HAHAHA!! That's me. I sign onto my work computer with a work address now. That was about 5 years ago before my hairline started receding and my hair was nice and purple.
I don't think we hit 70ยบ today. Blue skies and sunny! And the shooters have arrived for the weekend.
Cooled to the low 80's here after the rain.....ah, had a good walk,
and stopped at the book store. Nothing more healing than being
surrounded by many, many books seated in their comfortable
event area in the back...good place to hang out, rest up, watch
folks ponder which books to buy, or just sitting and reading.
Back to hot weather next week!
Love to all .
Nother cool gorgeous sunny non-summer day. In fact, summer only lasts three more weeks. Which is good good good in my book.
We've had perfect weather for the Windjammer Festival, though I think the crews would like a tad more wind. It's doable, though. Excellent sunshine! All this and we got to hear Noel Paul Stookey (of Peter, Paul and Mary fame) tonight at the Camden (Maine) Opera House. Fabulous!!
Good Morning,
Hot and dry weather continues here. I'm glad the hurricane has been downgraded. We are certainly seeing weather events all over the world. About 30 years ago, Denver was getting earthquakes. They figured it was because they were dumping waste water deep into the ground. Now Oklahoma has shut down 50 or was it 30? waste water wells. You'd think somehow the experience of Denver would have brought knowledge, but guess not.
Quiet here, still giving away books. There's a kind of freedom that comes with giving things away, and I don't have any regrets. I'm grateful for all the wonderful books I've known in my lifetime. In a sense books are like people: we read of their thoughts, experiences, imagination, and we interact with them. It's also very comfortable because we can choose how much time we spend, don't have to argue or conform, an individual experience with people, I think.
Well, take good care of yourselves. Happy Labor Day, a day without labor!
Beautiful day here. And the shooter seems to have run out of ammo, so quiet, too.
New thread!!!
Post a Comment