Tomorrow I will sub at the Library. Tomorrow night we get COLD and some squalls!! We are told to expect a dusting to 2 inches of snow along with 20-25mph winds greeting us on Friday morning. Of course that's the one morning I must be up and out early and drive an hour to offer spiritual guidance (3 mtgs). And of course my appt to have my snow tires put on isn't until Monday! So I will take the long way 'round and drive with care. I have already found my Winter gloves and will dress for it. I really do welcome Winter!! ❄️
We really thought we'd lose power as the cold front came through because it blinked so many times! We had *serious* thunder, some lightning, the internet cut out, had to recycle our server. W.I.L.D.!!! ⚡️
Sunny, but cooler here...freeze watch and warnings out for tonight and tomorrow morning. Projected estimate for addition to Brenda’s house came back....way out of my price range. So Brenda took pencil and ruler to paper and drew a new plan...involving some work on her second bedroom..expansion...and addition of a bathroom with walk in or roll in shower. Likely to be affordable for me. Just now she is checking with Elder Law folks to see how this would affect both of us in the long term. Wish us luck!
Ding Dong Trump just gets worse and worse...but wonderful to know of Dem victories. We kept our basically progressive City Council here in Greensboro...not a big surprise..they are doing a good job..our female Mayor is especially effective... Love to all.
Not so cold today--made it above freezing. Next week about fifties, with mostly above freezing at night. My heaters handled last night without problems.
Working this weekend on getting a new bathroom sink in place at Root*Center*Son's house. Old pipe has an issue. Hoping we won't need to resort to calling a plumber.
All this and a Silent Aucion to attend for VT*Grandson's pre-school.
We spent the evening with VT*Grand, now age 10. Here are a few priceless moments:
What's new? "There was a car accident in town and traffic was backed up all the way to where the cow lives."
(Grandad is still randomly chuckling.)
Well that will clarify things, seeing as we live in Vermont.
Laughing she adds, for the sake of making it clear:
"The cow that lives in the teal shed." Then she adds,
"Of course there are at least two teal sheds in town."
But wait, there's more:
"My best friend, Addison, was walking on the playground at school, talking to me, and walked right into a pole. "And that's when we realised that we are just alike."
One clever kid, Listener! Waiting for massage therapist and then news for an appointment to get this year old cough looked at...listened to......seems in bronchial area to me...just getting to be a nuisance....Vick’s vapo w. Lavender oil and cough syrup barely keeping it under control.
Windy and cold right now, but supposed to warm to seventy, and tomorrow, snow.
I can hardly listen to the news anymore. We have fallen so far. The last I read on Facebook was that Trump had changed the executive order to ban ivory imports to allowing them. Dear Heaven, what have we done to get such a destructive man and his cohorts as government?!
Meanwhile, I'm doing laundry right now, will hang it on the line, will write in my journal, will vacuum, and so on. Take good care of yourselves. Shirlee, I drink Breathe Easy and Throat Coat Teas from Celestial Seasoning, and that helps. I'm convinced that the pollution in our air, both inside and out, aggravates sinus and bronchial conditions. I also take Celestial Seasoning Sleepy Time Sinus Soother Tea. In addition, I heat up the water and breathe steam for a minute or so. Good luck. Sinus is definitely something that impedes our free breathing.
Thanks for the tips on tea, Pat. I have been using ThroatCoat for sometime.....will have Brenda pick up the Breath Easy also.
Ihave an appointment with the Nurse Practioner who works with my good Primary Care Doc for tomorrow....and see what she has to say. Need to be in shape for my four others and their spouses to be here at Thanksgiving. I think Brenda has some plans putting them to work clearing out some of her things from what is now ....and will be my bedroom. Perhaps it is good for us to have these phases in our lives which require re-evaluation ??? They seem to roll around whether we will or no,
πShirlee, you might want to consider getting a device that super-cleans your air...at least in the bedroom. Friends of ours had terrible inhalant allergies, so got such a device. When we visited, they took us into the room wth the clean air and it was AMAZING how easy it was to breathe in there! I felt like I'd had an elephant sitting on my chest and it had just gotten up and left! Hammacher-Schlemmer surely has a good one.
π puddle, there will be more Grand Moments before long! I am editing 20+ pages of such anecdotes (making a Christmas gift for the kids) and will share some as I get more into it. Or maybe you were referring to the Borowitz quotes? "Wish the dissolution of der Trunip's reign were closer to hand. What a Christmas gift that would be to this land. " Amen, Sistah! , π Pat, you wrote: "Dear Heaven, what have we done to get such a destructive man and his cohorts as government?!" I'd say it's the fault of No Child Left Behind that served to dumb down curricula, and gutted Civics! People know too little about how government works and why careful voting is essential. And we are bearing the consequences of this, and of too few people having too much of the wealth.
I'm on the edge of my seat with my ears pricked up waiting for word on my dearest friend's gallbladder surgery. It was to be at 7:45am and take about an hour, unless the doc found it too complex to do laparoscopically. But even if it were abdominal surgery, shouldn't we have had word by now? I am making the assumption that they aren't allowed to use cell phones until she is out of recovery. Even so! Waiting at a time like this is the pits.
Finally heard on my dearest friend at 6:40pm. They were able to do the surgery laparoscopically, but just barely. Gallbladder was so enlarged it was packed tight! She says she feels like she got run over by a bus. They decided to keep her overnight. Send good vibes/prayers that she can get outta there in the morning! I'm glad she gets to have the good meds tonight, though.
BTW, no one heard a peep all day, not even her children or sister. I haven't yet heard why that was. Maybe no cell phone use allowed in the Recovery area. (But you'd think her DH could have stepped out long enough to call ONE of us to spread the word! I was imagining some pretty awful scenarios 11 hours post op!!) =Whew!=
Here's another GRAND MOMENT, this one about Eldest*Grand from when she was 3 years old. Dad is our Wildlife Biologist and Mom is now a Maternity Nurse. Enjoy!
Dad: I think I did okay on my impromptu physics quiz. Results pending. Mom: Did our daughter administer it? Dad: How did you guess? :) Getting out of the car she suddenly stopped and said, "What holds the ground together?" I asked what she meant and she said, "The ground! Why doesn't it all fall apart?" I replied that gravity holds it together, which ...then required a detailed definition. On a roll, she then asked what snowflakes are made of. When I told her that they are frozen water she just laughed and said, "No silly! Frozen water is ice!" I told her that snowflakes are made of lots of tiny ice crystals. This engendered the response "So you were wrong! They are made of ice, not water!" I tried to defend my position, but I think I lost points for lack of clarity.
Kids are so much ahead of us ...at times....loved your story, Listener.
Saw the nurse practitioner yesterday...she reported results to doc...he ordered a chest x-ray ...reults will be reported on Monday. Also had to do a test for nitrogen oxide in my lungs.. ..on the bad side...put me back on Mucinex for now. See him on Dec. 5. Highlight of the day...young, female radiologist asked if my bra had any metal on it. No...made of lace and elastic.. then AFTER she finished the x-ray she came around pulled my blouse open ...and checked! §§§
How odd, Shirlee! She does sound young and not at all prepared, lol! Good luck with outcomes.
Rain has begun, should be changing to snow soon. Whee!
Kiddle's coming Tuesday, and will be here till Friday, I think. He's at the use/lose it point with vacation hours. His dad doesn't wish to leave his stock market alone that long, poor man.
The temperature about 50 today, some clouds. It's supposed to be warmer on Monday and throughout the week. I don't remember a November like this one with little snow, warm temperatures, and cold nights. Weird.
Thanksgiving will by at my daughter-in-law's parents' house. Our highway will open to all traffic beginning at 4 PM on Wednesday and open until Sunday at 8 PM. There will be long lines and pilot cars because it will be one lane. The papers said expect up to an hour delay.
Lots of news time spent on sexual harassment. Maybe a tipping point?
We went to Maine and back again and had a WONDERFUL time with the Grands!! The older two (ages 11 and 8) are even more graceful than before (was that possible?). The little guy (almost 2), really took a shine to us. That was a total delight to experience!! Lovely. ππ❤️
Sounds like that whopper snapper needs some education, Shirlee. More respect, please...!! Gosh!
puddle, we have only an inch or so of snow up here. Hoping for more (especially now that we're home again! Ha!).
Pat, may your first Thanksgiving since David's death be filled with love, good memories, and some deep down good newness.
We had Thanksgiving at our DIL's parents house a few years ago. Got invited back this year. But we'll be at Root*Center*Son's house this time. In one week we'll have seen all the family; several twice! I love that.
Haha that must be a picture of Trump. My app puts pictures of kittens or cats in it's place. Plus, I have an app (https://purrli.com) that makes my machine gently purr in the background. Very relaxing.
Love to all and I'm so glad I see you on FB. I'm in San Jose now and just got a text from my son and my tix to Colorado Springs for Christmas is BOOKED! YAY! 4 grandkids and spouses and 6 greats, including the first girl.
Nope, no turnip--just a dry exposition of the most foodstamped county in the US being also 99.22% white and 95% Republican.
Just had a long depressing convo with my local postmaster about a package shipped on Oct 30 which still hasn't arrived. . . . Seems there's nothing he can do. So much for tracking numbers, lol!
Hi Barb! Nice to see you here. Sounds like you'll have an extra special Christmas!
We got a heavy-sigh thud feeling today about our Christmas gathering this year. The kids decided to have it on the 30th, and now the main DIL hosting has decided it will have no gifts, and not much else. No traditions from our kids' growing up years at all. She's livid against Christianity and prefers Solstice. So when we hosted a few years ago we included a Solstice poem of welcoming and made sure to have luminaries. When we suggested a theme of The 12 Days of Christmas to make it memorable for the grands, she wrote that the theme will be Simplicity and the kids will have enough festivities before our gathering, so that's not needed.
We're kind of feeling like our needs and traditions are being disrespected (by all three DILs, actually, and our sons don't take a stand). So what can you do? As Bill tends to says, "Our opinion isn't in great demand." Heh. Makes us sad that our grands won't have the benefit of the beautiful traditions we love. Having home schooled and taken a Waldorf approach as well as participated in a faith tradition, we always thought that at least some of the traditions would get passed on.
I sympathize, Listener. I know of several families where the traditions are not observed. It's definitely a different generation with different perspectives. We give our love, our efforts, and our respect, and the grand kids will learn from that and have a relationship with grandparents they love. It's hard though.
What's most important, I think is the ongoing relationships, communication, love, and trust. My thoughts for you.
Well, Brenda and I are not planning for Christmas...yet! We are, however. going to have a whoop-de-doo Thanksgiving with all four of Brenda’s sibs and spouses. Brenda drove over to the area where the lovely house is that they have rented for 5-6. days. Plenty of kitchen room for the several good cooks in the family.
Big day here...physical therapist came in ...made me do all exercises and signed me out. I am a free woman...for now! Encompass is a good company to work with....I.think they are now throughout most of the south.
Good News, Shirlee. Sounds like Thanksgiving will be memorable, and so glad you have regained your freedom. A grin here.
Well, off for some reading in bed. I'm still waking at 2 AM, get up, have a cup of coffee, listen to the BBC, and then try for another hour or two of sleep. It is very weird.
Thanks, Puddle. That's interesting, illuminating. I know of at least several people who have the same sleep patterns, and they are concerned as well. This makes it normal.
Snow coming down here, heavy, fast. I'm glad I went into Estes yesterday to get gas, drop off books at the library, take our new anthology, Mountains, Myths & Memories to MacDonald's Book Shop to see if they were interested in selling it. We call ourselves the Daz Bogians because we meet and have met once a month at the Daz Bog Coffee House for about 8 years. David was going to lay it out and produce the book, but he died before we were ready to start the editing process. Lorrie Wolfe who has her own editing company did all the work. There are 8 of us all from the Front Range, all retired, and it was gratifying to produce.
So, today, a quiet day, maybe some cleaning, some reading.
Mine pattern too for most of my life. But it always felt so normal to me I just noted it, and didn't worry about it, lol! But was delighted to see references to it several years ago.
Kiddle just emailed from Food Lion that there are NO small turkeys unless I want just a breast. So told him to go ahead and get a big one--more left overs/cold cuts. . . . No pies though--being permanently low carb, no flour for crusts. And almond flour crusts are too crumbly to bother with.
On NPR this afternoon, how the sugar industry discarded the research on the dangers of heart disease and stroke. They blamed the fats and ignored the research. I'm glad this is coming out.
Thanks again, Puddle, for your pertinent and interesting links. You could have been a librarian.
I have no problem using almond flour for both pancakes and waffles. Even biscuits. But not pie crust. I have NO issue with gluten, but huge ones with carbs, and this mix is not remotely low carb, lol! But thanks for the try ♥
It's here! With maybe 20 min more effort, my kitchen will be ready for Baking Day!! I am making a Pumpkin pie and an Apple-Cherry pie as well. Then I am cooking the whole meal, a day ahead, with the exception of the mashed potatoes and peas. This way it will be easier to transport on Thursday morning and warm through in our son's oven. Minimal mess there and less to schlep.
We will be spending Thanksgiving at Root*Center*Son's house for the meal midday, then help him decorate his (first ever!) outdoor Christmas tree. In the evening, Eldest and PhD*Son are coming over with our three eldest grands for soup and wheat loaf, then pies and a bonfire!! Whoo hoo! There will be s'mores for those who like them.
Pat, thanks so much for your understanding. Bill's Mom always counseled to "keep the lines of communication open" and that is what we are doing. We are, after all, the "adults" in the situation. (They are in their mid-30's.) Also, we will put up with almost anything to be able to remain close to our grands. You are correct. All six of our grandchildren adore us. So that says a lot of good about what HASN'T been said about us to the children. I am grateful for a good working relationship with all the parents.
Even so, it is hard to feel that one's needs and traditions are not respected. One funny thing is this: The hosts said they did not want to give gifts this year, so advocated for no gifts, even for the children. However, there would be a work-party to stuff art kits for disadvantaged children. Bill and I wrote to applaud the art kits. As for the no gift exchange concept, we said we'd leave that up to the parents to decide, but that we would be bringing gifts for the grands and we hoped that was okay. We also gently suggested a theme for the gathering of "The 12 Days of Christmas" thinking that was a pretty open concept (many see it as secular, though it may not be). We suggested that it might lend meaning to the event and make it more memorable for the children. The response from out DIL was:
"I think the kids will find the party memorable regardless of when or what we are celebrating. It will still have all the feelings of Christmas. The theme is simplicity and the spirit of giving. Grandparents can give gifts whenever is easiest but there’s no reason to wait until the party."
Ha! Never mind that we won't even see half of them until the party, and I'll be darned if I'll give gifts to half in front of the other half! We could send them to put under the various trees, but then we wouldn't get to see them open the gifts, and the little ones would have no clue as to who gave the gift.
Anyway, the funny thing is that this is evolving. Root*Center*Son (who we were told is now co-hosting) responded that he plans to bring gifts for his nieces and nephews and he hopes that is okay. Ha! It was a relief to find we are not alone.
Root*Center*Son told me yesterday that the original hosts (Youngest and his spouse) called to ask him if he'd like to host INSTEAD of them or to co-host and have it at HIS house instead of theirs. He gently said no to the location but agreed to help them out. Ha! The kick is that last Summer when we were all together and the decision was made to have Christmas gathering at their house, most people wanted to have it at Root*Center*Son's house, but Youngest and his spouse had "dibs" on doing it, from the year before.
Doesn't this read like a holiday movie synopsis?! Ha! I wonder how it all turns out!
And oh yes I completely agree about sugar. Do you think it played a role in David's health? Doctors have been focused on cholesterol so much and hardly have fussed about sugar. There is so much room for corruption in capitalism...!
Note that the reason for a "12 Days of Christmas" theme idea is that we aren't gathering until December 30th. Bill and I had begun to imagine ways to use the theme, such as have the children act out the song (it would only take about 15minutes rehearsal). We were also thinking it might be nice to begin a tradition in which the children make an ornament, which then goes home with one of the cousins. Imagine the tree they would have some day, with various ornament made by their cousins! Maybe that will happen yet, but apparently not this time. (We would not have stepped in with those ideas unless it were welcomed.)
It is a great balm that the older three will be with us for Thanksgiving!!
In my family of birth, about five years into my marriage (and the second and third kids had married), second brother's family decided that gifts for everyone was too much, and family voted for drawing names. Among adults and among kids. Mom continued to gift everyone. Christmas dissolved, eventually, into a family party in December. By then the adults in Utah numbered around 10 to 15, and there were 40 grandkids. . . But only 30 plus in Utah. Now the kids' children are struggling to maintain or create their own family traditions.
For me, we just went to his parents Christmas Eve, until my eldest started to worry that Santa wouldn't find him, and we switched to Christmas morning at home, and drove up for Christmas dinner and stayed the night.
When mine were young I seriously tried to interest them in Solstice. . . . They were having none of it: they *liked* Christmas. . .
listener, heart is with you as you and Bill navigate this. xox
Sunny, warm day today, always uplifting. My thoughts are with you Listener and Puddle as you tell the stories of how Christmas was celebrated. We always tried to make it calm and low key since I remembered the tensions of my childhood Christmases. We put up a tree, cooked a turkey, listened to carols, and gave gifts, but we tried to keep it calm and peaceful. I think our children do this much the same way. There was very little religious focus on our Christmases. David was not religious, and I had lost my faith years ago, though I still pray, sill long to know and have a connection with the spiritual.
I think the important thing is our communication, love, and efforts to understand ourselves and each other. Our commercial culture adds to the stress, and how to select and make our way through it without its dominating us for me is the question.
Listener, thank you for your interest in the anthology of poetry, Mountains, Myths & Memories. The MacDonald Book Shop in Estes Park doesn't have the books yet. I will bring them next week.
It is for sale on Amazon. Here is part of the description. Mountains, Myths & Memories is a poetry anthology featuring the work of eight northern Colorado poets. Their work is shaped by, and reflective of, northern Colorado, with its mountains, rivers, and wide-open plains both wild and tilled. But their writing transcends place and taps into the universal experience of people interacting with nature, family, aging, immigration, crossing cultures, and memory in the unique views and language of each writer. Poet Bill Tremblay writes, in his forward to this book, “The pleasure of reading the work of local poets is to experience how they re-invent the language: speaking of childhood games, one poet writes of “palms jaxed with grabbing.” [Claudia Van Gerven] My spell check underlines jaxed, and well it should because it’s a genuine neologism. And then there are simply the lovely thoughts given as image, “wind pushing over grass/as loving hand.” [Jeff Hoffman] Or clever wit regarding a replacement of politicians with dogs, e.g. “a chancellor with a/rotweiler named Angela … There’s room for creativity in the United States …” Indeed. Or nods in the direction of poets who’ve come before, but with a contemporary twist as in “how do I luv thee let me text the ways.” [Shirley Kobar] The local imagination can bring the global horror of war and the terror of refugees fleeing for their lives in a few simple words: “hurry hurry/help her please/oh god/what can we do/get killed/or get in this boat/and drown.” [Caroline N. Orman] So many American families were once immigrants who suffered the trauma of displacement in place and time: “Holding onto the past/holding out for the future/makes the present tense.” [Lorrie Wolfe] And still more turn to the consolations of dawn: “Sky, a gelatinous gray blue/Mountain, aurora gold … maybe/Earth is not yet doomed/In our lifetime.” [Pat Maslowski] Or observe the curiosities of nature, a meeting between groundhog and prairie dog [Gordon Holladay] that ends with an eagle getting a meal. Wit, longing, confusion, tragedy, the tensions and triggering moments of everyday life, the satisfactions of home and family, Mountains, Myths & Memories is a testament to the deep experience of today’s Americans.”
Making almond flour pancakes and biscuits for the dressing tomorrow. . . . Will be chopping celery and onions in a bit. Then frying sausage. Mix it all up and let the flavors blend. Add giblet water tomorrow just before the oven.
Today I baked two pies, Wheatloaf, stuffed Hubbard Squash, a Turkey breast (poor bird! π¦ This may be our last Turkey year), Squash & Sweet Potato Soup, and carrots. Tomorrow we'll warm it all through and have peas and broccoli as well, pies a la mode and possibly s'mores around the bonfire. π₯ Very much looking forward to Thanksgiving Day at Root*Center*Son's house!! Friday marks 6 months since he bought it!
I'm exhaustified!! The only thing keeping me sane right now is that tomorrow the meal and the mess will happen at my son's house and not mine! Ha!
Thank you, Pat...and puddle! I want to get a copy to read but also a copy for a dear friend who just moved to Colorado, whose birthday is week after next! :-)
Fun Fact for Today: One of the oldest spice mixes in the country, Bell’s dates back to 1867, when William F. Bell of Newton, Massachusetts created the blend from an old family recipe. Since then, nothing has changed…and come to think of it, neither has the box. Immediately recognizable with its colorful, (now) vintage looking label, lettering, and hand-drawn turkey, Bell’s is the throwback that never left.
Happy Thanksgiving Day all....yesterday Brenda and I spent w. her four sibs and spouses at a lovely large home my son and his wife rented for the week here in Greensboro. We spent yesterday afternoon and evening there. Done tuckered me out..so today they are coming two by two to visit...and take away some boxes of appropriate family photos etc...which Brenda has already posted on one of our sites. That girl is a planner!
That's so nice! Wish my family had such a person. There are photos (of me) I remember so well from my childhood that someone other than me has custody of. Alas.
My turk's beginning to smell nice. I cook 'em on ultra low (makes for very juicy breast meat) but which takes a long time to reach the off-gassing stage, lol!
Giving the kid all the light to work, so dinner's at six.
I hope you and Kiddle have had a great day. I was tuckered out from yesterday So the gang came two by two today to keep me in shape...one way or another :)...
66 comments:
Change in America for the better is FIRST!
Bernie was awesome on Thursday, lambasting DT and speaking out about what is needed in this country. I love that man!!
One last note before I must sleep.
Tomorrow I will sub at the Library. Tomorrow night we get COLD and some squalls!! We are told to expect a dusting to 2 inches of snow along with 20-25mph winds greeting us on Friday morning. Of course that's the one morning I must be up and out early and drive an hour to offer spiritual guidance (3 mtgs). And of course my appt to have my snow tires put on isn't until Monday! So I will take the long way 'round and drive with care. I have already found my Winter gloves and will dress for it. I really do welcome Winter!! ❄️
Okay, I'm ready!π
My Winter coat is in the dryer.
My Mini Cooper is in the garage. ❄️
We really thought we'd lose power as the cold front came through because it blinked so many times! We had *serious* thunder, some lightning, the internet cut out, had to recycle our server. W.I.L.D.!!! ⚡️
Sunny, but cooler here...freeze watch and warnings out for tonight and
tomorrow morning. Projected estimate for addition to Brenda’s house
came back....way out of my price range. So Brenda took pencil and ruler
to paper and drew a new plan...involving some work on her second
bedroom..expansion...and addition of a bathroom with walk in or roll in
shower. Likely to be affordable for me. Just now she is checking with
Elder Law folks to see how this would affect both of us in the long term.
Wish us luck!
Ding Dong Trump just gets worse and worse...but wonderful to know
of Dem victories. We kept our basically progressive City Council here
in Greensboro...not a big surprise..they are doing a good job..our female
Mayor is especially effective... Love to all.
Sunny, blue, and blistery cold--our high today was 30° and low tonight, 15°.
Ancient Music
Winter is icummen in,
Lhude sing Goddamm.
Raineth drop and staineth slop,
And how the wind doth ramm!
Sing: Goddamm.
Skiddeth bus and sloppeth us,
An ague hath my ham.
Freezeth river, turneth liver,
Damn you, sing: Goddamm.
Goddamm, Goddamm, 'tis why I am, Goddamm,
So 'gainst the winter's balm.
Sing goddamm, damm, sing Goddamm.
Sing goddamm, sing goddamm, DAMM.
``Ezra Pound
It's a little nippy here, too.
It was 18F at 9:30am, got up to 24F and is currently at 19F on the way down to possibly a record low for November 11th.
I got there an back again today with no mishaps. Snow tires will be on come Monday. YEAH!!
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2017/11/why_conservatives_are_more_susceptible_to_believing_in_lies.html?wpsrc=sh_all_dt_fb_ru
Not so cold today--made it above freezing. Next week about fifties, with mostly above freezing at night. My heaters handled last night without problems.
Working this weekend on getting a new bathroom sink in place at Root*Center*Son's house. Old pipe has an issue. Hoping we won't need to resort to calling a plumber.
All this and a Silent Aucion to attend for VT*Grandson's pre-school.
Almost caught up in my class.
Everybody stay snug! ☀️����
☀️ππ
Love the Ancient Music, Puddle!
Brenda is just now home from Sunday trip to
The health food store..etc....
Stay warm, well, etc. ...out of trouble ......
Love to all..... of
Cold day, but not frigid. At least it's seasonal. Hard to believe Thanksgiving is so close. And then Christmas.
Wish the dissolution of der Trunip's reign were closer to hand. What a Christmas gift that would be to this land.
As of today, Roy Moore's competition is four points ahead (from 11 behind). Another gift.
Andy Borowitz had some great moments today:
+ Between today's Roy Moore news and Don Jr news I haven't been this happy since Magic Mueller Monday.
+ One possibly overlooked aspect of the glorious Don Jr news tonight is that Mike Pence has been caught lying about Wikileaks. #DoubleImpeachment
Oct 12, 2016 - Uploaded by ABC15 Arizona
Mike Pence is at a campaign event in North Carolina. He reads Wikileaks John Podesta emails to supporters.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/13/politics/wikileaks-donald-trump-jr-2016-election/index.html
We spent the evening with VT*Grand, now age 10. Here are a few priceless moments:
What's new?
"There was a car accident in town and traffic was backed up all the way to where the cow lives."
(Grandad is still randomly chuckling.)
Well that will clarify things, seeing as we live in Vermont.
Laughing she adds, for the sake of making it clear:
"The cow that lives in the teal shed."
Then she adds,
"Of course there are at least two teal sheds in town."
But wait, there's more:
"My best friend, Addison, was walking on the playground at school, talking to me, and walked right into a pole.
"And that's when we realised that we are just alike."
(Eat your heart out, Lily Tomlin!)
Oh, listener, thank you! I needed that. Really really needed.
One clever kid, Listener! Waiting for massage therapist and then news for an appointment
to get this year old cough looked at...listened to......seems in bronchial area to me...just getting
to be a nuisance....Vick’s vapo w. Lavender oil and cough syrup barely keeping it under control.
Love to all.....
Hi Dear Friends,
Windy and cold right now, but supposed to warm to seventy, and tomorrow, snow.
I can hardly listen to the news anymore. We have fallen so far. The last I read on Facebook was that Trump had changed the executive order to ban ivory imports to allowing them. Dear Heaven, what have we done to get such a destructive man and his cohorts as government?!
Meanwhile, I'm doing laundry right now, will hang it on the line, will write in my journal, will vacuum, and so on. Take good care of yourselves. Shirlee, I drink Breathe Easy and Throat Coat Teas from Celestial Seasoning, and that helps. I'm convinced that the pollution in our air, both inside and out, aggravates sinus and bronchial conditions. I also take Celestial Seasoning Sleepy Time Sinus Soother Tea. In addition, I heat up the water and breathe steam for a minute or so. Good luck. Sinus is definitely something that impedes our free breathing.
Thanks for the tips on tea, Pat. I have been using ThroatCoat
for sometime.....will have Brenda pick up the Breath Easy also.
Ihave an appointment with the Nurse Practioner who works with
my good Primary Care Doc for tomorrow....and see what she has to
say. Need to be in shape for my four others and their spouses to
be here at Thanksgiving. I think Brenda has some plans putting them
to work clearing out some of her things from what is now ....and will
be my bedroom. Perhaps it is good for us to have these phases in our
lives which require re-evaluation ??? They seem to roll around whether
we will or no,
Love to all..
πShirlee, you might want to consider getting a device that super-cleans your air...at least in the bedroom. Friends of ours had terrible inhalant allergies, so got such a device. When we visited, they took us into the room wth the clean air and it was AMAZING how easy it was to breathe in there! I felt like I'd had an elephant sitting on my chest and it had just gotten up and left! Hammacher-Schlemmer surely has a good one.
π puddle, there will be more Grand Moments before long! I am editing 20+ pages of such anecdotes (making a Christmas gift for the kids) and will share some as I get more into it. Or maybe you were referring to the Borowitz quotes? "Wish the dissolution of der Trunip's reign were closer to hand. What a Christmas gift that would be to this land. " Amen, Sistah!
,
π Pat, you wrote: "Dear Heaven, what have we done to get such a destructive man and his cohorts as government?!" I'd say it's the fault of No Child Left Behind that served to dumb down curricula, and gutted Civics! People know too little about how government works and why careful voting is essential. And we are bearing the consequences of this, and of too few people having too much of the wealth.
I'm on the edge of my seat with my ears pricked up waiting for word on my dearest friend's gallbladder surgery. It was to be at 7:45am and take about an hour, unless the doc found it too complex to do laparoscopically. But even if it were abdominal surgery, shouldn't we have had word by now? I am making the assumption that they aren't allowed to use cell phones until she is out of recovery. Even so! Waiting at a time like this is the pits.
Thoughts with you and a prayer. A best friend's husband had heart surgery two days ago, and I'm waiting to hear how he is.
listener, no, it was definitely the grand's story.
Shirlee, I've been using Ivy Extract for breathing--amazing stuff.
Feeling enormously sad. Coming Christmas season perhaps all the public creches need to have baby Jesus wrapped in a Kevlar blanket?
Finally heard on my dearest friend at 6:40pm. They were able to do the surgery laparoscopically, but just barely. Gallbladder was so enlarged it was packed tight! She says she feels like she got run over by a bus. They decided to keep her overnight. Send good vibes/prayers that she can get outta there in the morning! I'm glad she gets to have the good meds tonight, though.
BTW, no one heard a peep all day, not even her children or sister. I haven't yet heard why that was. Maybe no cell phone use allowed in the Recovery area. (But you'd think her DH could have stepped out long enough to call ONE of us to spread the word! I was imagining some pretty awful scenarios 11 hours post op!!) =Whew!=
Thanks for the kindnesses dear friends!! ♥
Here's another GRAND MOMENT, this one about Eldest*Grand from when she was 3 years old. Dad is our Wildlife Biologist and Mom is now a Maternity Nurse. Enjoy!
Dad: I think I did okay on my impromptu physics quiz. Results pending.
Mom: Did our daughter administer it?
Dad: How did you guess? :) Getting out of the car she suddenly stopped and said, "What holds the ground together?" I asked what she meant and she said, "The ground! Why doesn't it all fall apart?" I replied that gravity holds it together, which ...then required a detailed definition. On a roll, she then asked what snowflakes are made of. When I told her that they are frozen water she just laughed and said, "No silly! Frozen water is ice!" I told her that snowflakes are made of lots of tiny ice crystals. This engendered the response "So you were wrong! They are made of ice, not water!" I tried to defend my position, but I think I lost points for lack of clarity.
Kids are so much ahead of us ...at times....loved your story, Listener.
Saw the nurse practitioner yesterday...she reported results
to doc...he ordered a chest x-ray ...reults will be reported on
Monday. Also had to do a test for nitrogen oxide in my lungs..
..on the bad side...put me back on Mucinex for now. See him
on Dec. 5. Highlight of the day...young, female radiologist asked
if my bra had any metal on it. No...made of lace and elastic..
then AFTER she finished the x-ray she came around pulled
my blouse open ...and checked! §§§
Love to all!
How odd, Shirlee! She does sound young and not at all prepared, lol! Good luck with outcomes.
Rain has begun, should be changing to snow soon. Whee!
Kiddle's coming Tuesday, and will be here till Friday, I think. He's at the use/lose it point with vacation hours. His dad doesn't wish to leave his stock market alone that long, poor man.
No snow. Sigh.
The temperature about 50 today, some clouds. It's supposed to be warmer on Monday and throughout the week. I don't remember a November like this one with little snow, warm temperatures, and cold nights. Weird.
Thanksgiving will by at my daughter-in-law's parents' house. Our highway will open to all traffic beginning at 4 PM on Wednesday and open until Sunday at 8 PM. There will be long lines and pilot cars because it will be one lane. The papers said expect up to an hour delay.
Lots of news time spent on sexual harassment. Maybe a tipping point?
Good wishes to all. I think of you.
We went to Maine and back again and had a WONDERFUL time with the Grands!! The older two (ages 11 and 8) are even more graceful than before (was that possible?). The little guy (almost 2), really took a shine to us. That was a total delight to experience!! Lovely. ππ❤️
Sounds like that whopper snapper needs some education, Shirlee. More respect, please...!! Gosh!
puddle, we have only an inch or so of snow up here. Hoping for more (especially now that we're home again! Ha!).
Pat, may your first Thanksgiving since David's death be filled with love, good memories, and some deep down good newness.
We had Thanksgiving at our DIL's parents house a few years ago. Got invited back this year. But we'll be at Root*Center*Son's house this time. In one week we'll have seen all the family; several twice! I love that.
Haha that must be a picture of Trump. My app puts pictures of kittens or cats in it's place. Plus, I have an app (https://purrli.com) that makes my machine gently purr in the background.
Very relaxing.
Love to all and I'm so glad I see you on FB. I'm in San Jose now and just got a text from my son and my tix to Colorado Springs for Christmas is BOOKED! YAY! 4 grandkids and spouses and 6 greats, including the first girl.
Nope, no turnip--just a dry exposition of the most foodstamped county in the US being also 99.22% white and 95% Republican.
Just had a long depressing convo with my local postmaster about a package shipped on Oct 30 which still hasn't arrived. . . . Seems there's nothing he can do. So much for tracking numbers, lol!
We are actually having a SNOW DAY!!! Wow!
I was away over the weekend and didn't even see this coming!
3.5"+ so far and falling. At last!! ❄️☃️
Hi Barb! Nice to see you here. Sounds like you'll have an extra special Christmas!
We got a heavy-sigh thud feeling today about our Christmas gathering this year. The kids decided to have it on the 30th, and now the main DIL hosting has decided it will have no gifts, and not much else. No traditions from our kids' growing up years at all. She's livid against Christianity and prefers Solstice. So when we hosted a few years ago we included a Solstice poem of welcoming and made sure to have luminaries. When we suggested a theme of The 12 Days of Christmas to make it memorable for the grands, she wrote that the theme will be Simplicity and the kids will have enough festivities before our gathering, so that's not needed.
We're kind of feeling like our needs and traditions are being disrespected (by all three DILs, actually, and our sons don't take a stand). So what can you do? As Bill tends to says, "Our opinion isn't in great demand." Heh. Makes us sad that our grands won't have the benefit of the beautiful traditions we love. Having home schooled and taken a Waldorf approach as well as participated in a faith tradition, we always thought that at least some of the traditions would get passed on.
But what can you do?
I sympathize, Listener. I know of several families where the traditions are not observed. It's definitely a different generation with different perspectives. We give our love, our efforts, and our respect, and the grand kids will learn from that and have a relationship with grandparents they love. It's hard though.
What's most important, I think is the ongoing relationships, communication, love, and trust. My thoughts for you.
Well, Brenda and I are not planning for Christmas...yet! We are, however.
going to have a whoop-de-doo Thanksgiving with all four of Brenda’s sibs
and spouses. Brenda drove over to the area where the lovely house is
that they have rented for 5-6. days. Plenty of kitchen room for the several
good cooks in the family.
Big day here...physical therapist came in ...made me do all exercises
and signed me out. I am a free woman...for now! Encompass is a good
company to work with....I.think they are now throughout most of the south.
Love to all!
Good News, Shirlee. Sounds like Thanksgiving will be memorable, and so glad you have regained your freedom. A grin here.
Well, off for some reading in bed. I'm still waking at 2 AM, get up, have a cup of coffee, listen to the BBC, and then try for another hour or two of sleep. It is very weird.
Pat, this should set your heart to ease. . . .
http://www.history.vt.edu/Ekirch/sleepcommentary.html
Thanks, Puddle. That's interesting, illuminating. I know of at least several people who have the same sleep patterns, and they are concerned as well. This makes it normal.
Snow coming down here, heavy, fast. I'm glad I went into Estes yesterday to get gas, drop off books at the library, take our new anthology, Mountains, Myths & Memories to MacDonald's Book Shop to see if they were interested in selling it. We call ourselves the Daz Bogians because we meet and have met once a month at the Daz Bog Coffee House for about 8 years. David was going to lay it out and produce the book, but he died before we were ready to start the editing process. Lorrie Wolfe who has her own editing company did all the work. There are 8 of us all from the Front Range, all retired, and it was gratifying to produce.
So, today, a quiet day, maybe some cleaning, some reading.
Mine pattern too for most of my life. But it always felt so normal to me I just noted it, and didn't worry about it, lol! But was delighted to see references to it several years ago.
Kiddle just emailed from Food Lion that there are NO small turkeys unless I want just a breast. So told him to go ahead and get a big one--more left overs/cold cuts. . . . No pies though--being permanently low carb, no flour for crusts. And almond flour crusts are too crumbly to bother with.
On NPR this afternoon, how the sugar industry discarded the research on the dangers of heart disease and stroke. They blamed the fats and ignored the research. I'm glad this is coming out.
Thanks again, Puddle, for your pertinent and interesting links. You could have been a librarian.
puddle! You might want to get some of this:
Pamela's grain free pancake mix...
https://www.amazon.com/Pamelas-Products-Gluten-Pancake-Grain-Free/dp/B01FUI6F9G/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1511319252&sr=8-3&keywords=pamela%27s+grain+free+pancake+mix
Also, check it out at Thrive Market...less expensive there (everything is) but you have to join...
https://thrivemarket.com/pamelas-grain-free-pancake-mix?utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla&ccode=FIRST3&ccode_force=1&utm_medium=pla&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Shopping_Food_Beverages&utm_content=093709301172&utm_term=google-pla_na&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIprXG9JbR1wIVDJRpCh3yaA1tEAQYASABEgJxd_D_BwE
The stuff is AMAZING!! I can't even get it here now because they sold out so fast!
Also, puddle, try making an apple-cherry crisp! (That works great with the almond flour.)
Pat, can one buy the book online? Or will MacDonald's Book Shop send it if I call? Got number? Will Daz Bog carry it?
I have no problem using almond flour for both pancakes and waffles. Even biscuits. But not pie crust. I have NO issue with gluten, but huge ones with carbs, and this mix is not remotely low carb, lol! But thanks for the try ♥
It's here! With maybe 20 min more effort, my kitchen will be ready for Baking Day!! I am making a Pumpkin pie and an Apple-Cherry pie as well. Then I am cooking the whole meal, a day ahead, with the exception of the mashed potatoes and peas. This way it will be easier to transport on Thursday morning and warm through in our son's oven. Minimal mess there and less to schlep.
We will be spending Thanksgiving at Root*Center*Son's house for the meal midday, then help him decorate his (first ever!) outdoor Christmas tree. In the evening, Eldest and PhD*Son are coming over with our three eldest grands for soup and wheat loaf, then pies and a bonfire!! Whoo hoo! There will be s'mores for those who like them.
I'm pretty excited about it!! ππππ
♥ puddle. Aw, I hadn't checked out the carbs.
Pat, thanks so much for your understanding. Bill's Mom always counseled to "keep the lines of communication open" and that is what we are doing. We are, after all, the "adults" in the situation. (They are in their mid-30's.) Also, we will put up with almost anything to be able to remain close to our grands. You are correct. All six of our grandchildren adore us. So that says a lot of good about what HASN'T been said about us to the children. I am grateful for a good working relationship with all the parents.
Even so, it is hard to feel that one's needs and traditions are not respected. One funny thing is this:
The hosts said they did not want to give gifts this year, so advocated for no gifts, even for the children. However, there would be a work-party to stuff art kits for disadvantaged children. Bill and I wrote to applaud the art kits. As for the no gift exchange concept, we said we'd leave that up to the parents to decide, but that we would be bringing gifts for the grands and we hoped that was okay. We also gently suggested a theme for the gathering of "The 12 Days of Christmas" thinking that was a pretty open concept (many see it as secular, though it may not be). We suggested that it might lend meaning to the event and make it more memorable for the children. The response from out DIL was:
"I think the kids will find the party memorable regardless of when or what we are celebrating. It will still have all the feelings of Christmas. The theme is simplicity and the spirit of giving. Grandparents can give gifts whenever is easiest but there’s no reason to wait until the party."
Ha! Never mind that we won't even see half of them until the party, and I'll be darned if I'll give gifts to half in front of the other half! We could send them to put under the various trees, but then we wouldn't get to see them open the gifts, and the little ones would have no clue as to who gave the gift.
Anyway, the funny thing is that this is evolving. Root*Center*Son (who we were told is now co-hosting) responded that he plans to bring gifts for his nieces and nephews and he hopes that is okay. Ha! It was a relief to find we are not alone.
Root*Center*Son told me yesterday that the original hosts (Youngest and his spouse) called to ask him if he'd like to host INSTEAD of them or to co-host and have it at HIS house instead of theirs. He gently said no to the location but agreed to help them out. Ha! The kick is that last Summer when we were all together and the decision was made to have Christmas gathering at their house, most people wanted to have it at Root*Center*Son's house, but Youngest and his spouse had "dibs" on doing it, from the year before.
Doesn't this read like a holiday movie synopsis?! Ha! I wonder how it all turns out!
And oh yes I completely agree about sugar. Do you think it played a role in David's health? Doctors have been focused on cholesterol so much and hardly have fussed about sugar. There is so much room for corruption in capitalism...!
*our DIL = our DIL
Note that the reason for a "12 Days of Christmas" theme idea is that we aren't gathering until December 30th. Bill and I had begun to imagine ways to use the theme, such as have the children act out the song (it would only take about 15minutes rehearsal). We were also thinking it might be nice to begin a tradition in which the children make an ornament, which then goes home with one of the cousins. Imagine the tree they would have some day, with various ornament made by their cousins! Maybe that will happen yet, but apparently not this time. (We would not have stepped in with those ideas unless it were welcomed.)
It is a great balm that the older three will be with us for Thanksgiving!!
In my family of birth, about five years into my marriage (and the second and third kids had married), second brother's family decided that gifts for everyone was too much, and family voted for drawing names. Among adults and among kids. Mom continued to gift everyone. Christmas dissolved, eventually, into a family party in December. By then the adults in Utah numbered around 10 to 15, and there were 40 grandkids. . . But only 30 plus in Utah. Now the kids' children are struggling to maintain or create their own family traditions.
For me, we just went to his parents Christmas Eve, until my eldest started to worry that Santa wouldn't find him, and we switched to Christmas morning at home, and drove up for Christmas dinner and stayed the night.
When mine were young I seriously tried to interest them in Solstice. . . . They were having none of it: they *liked* Christmas. . .
listener, heart is with you as you and Bill navigate this. xox
Good Morning,
Sunny, warm day today, always uplifting. My thoughts are with you Listener and Puddle as you tell the stories of how Christmas was celebrated. We always tried to make it calm and low key since I remembered the tensions of my childhood Christmases. We put up a tree, cooked a turkey, listened to carols, and gave gifts, but we tried to keep it calm and peaceful. I think our children do this much the same way. There was very little religious focus on our Christmases. David was not religious, and I had lost my faith years ago, though I still pray, sill long to know and have a connection with the spiritual.
I think the important thing is our communication, love, and efforts to understand ourselves and each other. Our commercial culture adds to the stress, and how to select and make our way through it without its dominating us for me is the question.
My thoughts are with you.
Listener, thank you for your interest in the anthology of poetry, Mountains, Myths & Memories. The MacDonald Book Shop in Estes Park doesn't have the books yet. I will bring them next week.
It is for sale on Amazon. Here is part of the description.
Mountains, Myths & Memories is a poetry anthology featuring the work of eight northern Colorado poets. Their work is shaped by, and reflective of, northern Colorado, with its mountains, rivers, and wide-open plains both wild and tilled. But their writing transcends place and taps into the universal experience of people interacting with nature, family, aging, immigration, crossing cultures, and memory in the unique views and language of each writer. Poet Bill Tremblay writes, in his forward to this book, “The pleasure of reading the work of local poets is to experience how they re-invent the language: speaking of childhood games, one poet writes of “palms jaxed with grabbing.” [Claudia Van Gerven] My spell check underlines jaxed, and well it should because it’s a genuine neologism. And then there are simply the lovely thoughts given as image, “wind pushing over grass/as loving hand.” [Jeff Hoffman] Or clever wit regarding a replacement of politicians with dogs, e.g. “a chancellor with a/rotweiler named Angela … There’s room for creativity in the United States …” Indeed. Or nods in the direction of poets who’ve come before, but with a contemporary twist as in “how do I luv thee let me text the ways.” [Shirley Kobar] The local imagination can bring the global horror of war and the terror of refugees fleeing for their lives in a few simple words: “hurry hurry/help her please/oh god/what can we do/get killed/or get in this boat/and drown.” [Caroline N. Orman] So many American families were once immigrants who suffered the trauma of displacement in place and time: “Holding onto the past/holding out for the future/makes the present tense.” [Lorrie Wolfe] And still more turn to the consolations of dawn: “Sky, a gelatinous gray blue/Mountain, aurora gold … maybe/Earth is not yet doomed/In our lifetime.” [Pat Maslowski] Or observe the curiosities of nature, a meeting between groundhog and prairie dog [Gordon Holladay] that ends with an eagle getting a meal. Wit, longing, confusion, tragedy, the tensions and triggering moments of everyday life, the satisfactions of home and family, Mountains, Myths & Memories is a testament to the deep experience of today’s Americans.”
https://www.amazon.com/Mountains-Myths-Memories-anthology-featuring/dp/0999212001
Thanks, Puddle.
I hope tomorrow is pleasant, comfortable, and glad. Happy Thanksgiving.
Making almond flour pancakes and biscuits for the dressing tomorrow. . . . Will be chopping celery and onions in a bit. Then frying sausage. Mix it all up and let the flavors blend. Add giblet water tomorrow just before the oven.
Today I baked two pies, Wheatloaf, stuffed Hubbard Squash, a Turkey breast (poor bird! π¦ This may be our last Turkey year), Squash & Sweet Potato Soup, and carrots. Tomorrow we'll warm it all through and have peas and broccoli as well, pies a la mode and possibly s'mores around the bonfire. π₯ Very much looking forward to Thanksgiving Day at Root*Center*Son's house!! Friday marks 6 months since he bought it!
I'm exhaustified!! The only thing keeping me sane right now is that tomorrow the meal and the mess will happen at my son's house and not mine! Ha!
Thank you, Pat...and puddle! I want to get a copy to read but also a copy for a dear friend who just moved to Colorado, whose birthday is week after next! :-)
π½ HAPPY THANKSGIVING! π¦
Fun Fact for Today:
One of the oldest spice mixes in the country, Bell’s dates back to 1867, when William F. Bell of Newton, Massachusetts created the blend from an old family recipe. Since then, nothing has changed…and come to think of it, neither has the box. Immediately recognizable with its colorful, (now) vintage looking label, lettering, and hand-drawn turkey, Bell’s is the throwback that never left.
https://newengland.com/today/living/new-england-nostalgia/bells-seasoning/
Sounds good!! I could do that---have all the individual spices, at least. . . .
17° this morning. brrrrrrrrrrrr
Turkey's in. All's right wit' da whirld.
Happy Thanksgiving Day all....yesterday Brenda and I spent w. her four sibs and spouses
at a lovely large home my son and his wife rented for the week here in Greensboro. We spent
yesterday afternoon and evening there. Done tuckered me out..so today they are coming
two by two to visit...and take away some boxes of appropriate family photos etc...which Brenda
has already posted on one of our sites. That girl is a planner!
That's so nice! Wish my family had such a person. There are photos (of me) I remember so well from my childhood that someone other than me has custody of. Alas.
My turk's beginning to smell nice. I cook 'em on ultra low (makes for very juicy breast meat) but which takes a long time to reach the off-gassing stage, lol!
Giving the kid all the light to work, so dinner's at six.
New TH-th-th-thread!!
I hope you and Kiddle have had a great day. I was tuckered out from yesterday
So the gang came two by two today to keep me in shape...one way or another :)...
Thanks for the new thread! I
,
Post a Comment