So, I hear that Bernie is considering a 2020 campaign!! He had a meeting about it on Saturday. No decision yet, but he's definitely going to be a player in some capacity. God bless that man!
Hi listener, I left you a message on the last thread. Again, thank you for your thoughts and compassion.
Ah, Trump, is this a punishment we the people have deserved? He's the worst of greed, government by corporation, constant manipulation and attention. We need to turn off the TV, turn off our devices, shut out the noise and recognize the cacophony of a consumer, materialistic society. AARGH!
Bernie might have won the election, and how different our society might be. Go Bernie.
We the People did not create the Electoral College, and the Founders never imagined our current mess. DT is a aberration, a mishap, a flaw in the system. We can do better than this, and I'm sure we will again.
I don't know whether to hope Mueller takes out DT soon, or that it all waits until just before Election Day. If it means we'd get Pence, it needs to happen soon, so Pence can show his true colours before the Election. Otherwise, the closer to the Election, the larger the turnover, I suspect.
Pat ❤️💜💙 Note for you as well, on the last thread. 💙💛💚
Gorgeous blue sky sunny day with no wind and ⚡️blip!⚡️our power went out. Hmmm. It's approximately 90 customers, and the crew is on their way. Our Green Mountain Power crews are top notch.
Can I get GMP to mentor Frontier? Who say they're coming tomorrow morning, and I must be available to let the guy in. In 23 years of major mess-ups from these peeps it has never, not once, been anything inside my house. . . .
"People familiar with the underlying application have portrayed the Republican memo as misleading in part because Steele’s information was insufficient to meet the standard for a FISA warrant.
"They said the application drew on other intelligence material that the Republican memo selectively omits. That other information remains highly sensitive, and releasing it would risk burning other sources and methods of intelligence-gathering about Russia."
Everyone boycotting the Big Speech? We are...no need to have any more bad dreams than necessary! All three keys to the qapartment will be turned in tomorrow!....mine, Brenda’s and Pat’s the good weekly helper ~cleaning lady. DONE!
Off to bed...to listen to an audio book on Lincoln....balm for the soul...what a good man we had ....and lost.....
Hi Friends, I watched the speech last night. It was a performance, orchestrated, manipulated, and predictable. I can see why Republicans thought it was a success: the constant applause, the using people who have been heroic and generous to represent goodness, to elicit emotion, and the sense that Trump is an empty bucket, someone who performs and seeks adulation and control.
I was too tired to watch the Democratic rebuttal, but listened to NPR this morning for some perceptions. Will the constant attention and manipulation, the deceptions, the bragging and misinformation wake up the American people? Ben Franklyn said we have a democracy if we can keep it. I think we have a chance to do that.
It's as if the 24/7 media, the reality shows, the consumer based economics, the lobbying and corporate control of government has resulted in Trump and the the polarization of our country. Can we resist this, demand ethics, authenticity, fairness, a sense of community once again? I hope so.
Shirlee, I'm glad for you that transferring possessions has been carried out and you can relax and enjoy your new apartment.
Pat, I always appreciate your philosophical and compassionately hopeful outlook.
I not only believe we have it in us to recover from this political mess, I believe it will happen sooner than later. For the first time in decades it seems the good and average members of Congress really want the help we can give. I think this Admin has really shaken them. But the pressure on Republicans to be dirty rotten scoundrels is intense. If Mueller has anything that the relatively good members can lean on, it will help. I hope and pray they will have the backbone to Impeach. If not, November is coming.
Thank you, Listener. I appreciate the many offerings you bring from activities, to family, to politics, to hope and insights.
About 6 inches of snow here, but light. I swept the deck, swept the snow off the cars, and now, I'm going to do some reading.
I, too, hope that we can solve this dilemma of a reckless, ideologically driven Republican dominance. It just seems to get worse and worse. Well, day by day, keeping up with the news, responding when we can, and supporting those people who want to represent us, who can represent us, to take the moral and courageous route to better government and fairness. I read that 1/5 of all Americans experience chronic anxiety. That tells me we need to do some real work as to calming, fairness, trust, and peacefulness. I think, Listener, you are a contributor to that. Thank you.
I spent today prepping for tomorrow's Candlemas candle dipping and I'm exhausted!! While I have all the big essentials, (such as altar candle stubs, cans, wick, scissors, etc.), it took awhile to find one or two items I will also need, especially rulers or thin shims that can host a pair of candles as I dip. I have the first three pair half done now, and feel like I could fall asleep sitting up!
So your note was all balm! 💖
I envy you both the snow and the reading. That could be my scene next week, though. 😊
Interesting...must have missed the reason Listener Is melting candles....to make new ones?
Thanks to all for good wishes on the move....room is finished, appropriate boxes of books, etc. off to my nine grandchildren ....all over the country. So far we have made people happy....including an eight year old ggrandson who was eecstatic with a Mexican pottery cat!
You all may enjoy this...the last of the boooks were loaded up and taken to Glenwood Books here in Greensboro. Al Brilliant Is my age running his own shop, writing poetry, selling books in the shop and through Amazon. The last load ...after he had already Bought quite a few while he was at the apartment....After that we just sent a last load over...no charge...do as you please.
He was ecstatic...is listing some on Amazon....just today sold ‘Worlds in Collision’ to someone in Russia.....author was Russian! The right book makes the recipient happy!
P.S. I haven’t forgotten that Trump is a Skunk!
Love to all....
P.P.S....there WAS much more to this post about a local book dealer made happy with the last of my books in the apartment. Or maybe it is still there...let’s see!
Thanks, Puddle....now that you mention it....I think I remember discussing it here...maybe not!
In the low 20’s. here today.....lots of sunshine! Off to the pulmonologist yesterday...hissix weeks was up and this lisinopril cough is better, but not gone....ordered blood test, chest x-ray and cat scan of sinuses...we will see what is what. So happy to have the apartment empty ....and favorite treasures transferred here. All is well...done...finally...etc.
Best of all, I gave my DIL some supplies and she hand-dipped candles with two of our grands today!!!!! I am so happy that this is being passed on to the next generation!!! ♡
Thanks, Listener...for the photos......beautiful candles. Thanks Do you give them as gifts?
Chilly and sleety here today.
Brenda just picked up the new Library of America edition of Wendell Berry’s stories and novels whose settings are all before WWII. Berry did not write them consecutively. Another volume planned for the works taking place from WWII on. Beautiful book....thin, thin paper...made of rayon. W.B. Shelves in my Bedroom were purposely left a little ‘loose’. According to daughter Dana.......she knows her Mom. Good day when a new book gets picked up at the local bookstore!
Thank you, Shirlee! I give a pair each to the priest of the church and their altar guild directress to thank them for the candle stubs they save for me all year. I also decorate their big Paschal candle when they need a new one (which usually works out to every other years). Some are given for a special occasion, but most are given at Easter. Rarely we end up keeping a pair and actually using them ourselves. Ha!
Today, though, elder grandson gave me a pair of candles he helped dip at home!! That sure melted my heart!!! ♡
And I completely agree about a new book coming in!! YES!!!
I recently bought a book of the works of Dionysius. Now to carve out time to dip into it!
Bill and I are beginning to get excited about retirement. It's a few years off yet, but we are doing the necessary planning. One of the things we will both enjoy most is more time to read!!
Today was a huge lot of fun! 9 members of our family gathered at our son's house (which he bought last May) for a Sledding Party!! We kept it simple with Cheese and Fruit and Pizza, then hot chocolate. It would have been nice to end with a bonfire, but the falling snow was getting stronger. So we took a rain check on that part. Actually, rain won't do, so I guess it's a "clear, warm evening" check. Ha!
I completed 30 days of Whole30 yesterday, so I went ahead and had a little pizza. Now back to being careful (especially avoiding sweeteners of all types), until April 5th. I'll have an A1C test that day and I really want to see what the best I can get for that will be, just from eating carefully. I am already promising myself a nice ice cream sundae after the test. Ha! But I'll be careful after that. I don't want to lose the ground I'm gaining, but I also don't want to be so strict about it long-term. Just sensible.
Good Morning, Windy here and cold. Ah winter. Beautiful photos, Listener, of the candles and the sledding. A smile here for your smiles. Thanks for posting.
Shirlee, so glad for you and being settled and receiving Wendel Berry's book A book is a gift opening the road to relationships, experiences, and imagination.
Hi Puddle. Hope all is well. I picture Beau having a wonderful time in the snow.
So, paperwork to do today and gathering tax information. Not much fun.
Pat, I'm thinking of you as you deal with this year's taxes.
We just finished ours this weekend (getting a refund), and realised that once we retire it gets a lot more complicated, with money coming from different funds, plus our business taxes meshing. Bill says he would like an accountant to do our taxes at that point.
I imagine it's more complicated (and one more thing all on you) this year, because of David's death in this tax year. Deep breaths. One form at a time. You'll get there.
The sledding was great fun, but there was one awful moment. I was traipsing back up the hill pulling little granddaughter (2) on a sled, with elder granddaughter (10) pulling her sled, when littlest's brother (4) came barreling down the hill on a big tube sled. Due to the various bumps and curves of the hill, he shifted and was heading straight for us. We did our best to get out of the way, but with the little one behind me on the sled that was a long train to move and he whammed her sled such that she went fling through the air and landed WHUMP in the snow!! She was surprised, not injured (THANK ALL THAT IS HOLY!!!), and her Daddy was near to hand and came to her, and soon she was back on the sled so I could pull her the rest of the way. Kids are rubbery. Gramie is not so rubbery. I felt terrible that I had not been able to get her out of the way in time!!! Moreover, I had a half day of serious self doubt because when I got to the top of the hill one person told me that had we moved to the left instead of the right we would have made it. Another told me that I should have just let his tube hit me because it would have bounced off. I had no prior experience with snow tubes, so didn't know that. The nagging ache in my heart was the giant question WHY didn't I simply place myself in harm's way to protect her??!! That seems the obvious thing now. I suppose it's that elder granddaughter moved first and I went the way she did. We had less than two seconds to act. Even so, it has given me pause.
What has gotten me through it is that littlest granddaughter was completely unscathed by it, once she had some Daddy reassurance to get over her scary surprise.
Dear Listener, Please don't be so hard on yourself. When something happens like that, there's no time for analysis or weighing options. Of course, you would put yourself in front of her to protect her, and she's all right. Things happen, and you are a loving, protective, nurturing Grandmother.
I think we can all remember a time when we and our loved ones were at risk and we acted, and luckily, blessedly, they were all right.
When I was small, I was having a fuss with a neighbor girl, and if I hadn't ducked when she threw the rock, she wouldn't have hit me in the head with it. AFTER, it was clear I should have side stepped. After.
Thanks, folks. As I told the sledding story to a friend today, I realised something additional. I did not have the option of staying in the way of the snow tube. And do you know why? That was my 4 year old grandson barreling toward me. The tube might have bounced off of me, or it might have ejected him, and it might have knocked me over onto my granddaughter..! She was lying down in a plastic sled that was on the ground, so while she flew through the air and plopped into the snow, it wasn't from much height. He was sitting up in the tube and, weighing more, would have had a harder fall anyway. And his personality definitely would not have recovered as quickly from the surprise of a collision. As it turned out, his tube struck the back of her sled, which energy propelled her out of the sled. But neither child was injured, and that's the bottom line.
I appreciate your helping me through this. Gosh, I love those babies!!
And (hush hush for now) those two are going to be joined by a new sibling this Summer! They will learn of it on Valentine's Day! The rest of the family will learn of it after they do. We grandparents have known since just before Christmas. So happy!! 💚💜💛 PS: No word on gender until the birth.
Here's a funny thing. I got a robocall tonight from someplace with a local number, and immediately blocked it. Then I googled the number and it was the Burlington School District. Just as I'm wondering what the Burlington School District would be calling me for, my husband's phone rang from the same number. So he listened to the message and it was to tell us that Burlington schools will close tomorrow at 1:00pm...! As I'm not in the Burlington School District I was mystified. Turns out grandson recently got registered for Kindergarten next year and we were included in his emergency contact list! HAAA! Having home schooled our children K-12, this was the first school call we've ever received! 😄
Wow, home schooling your kids. That's tremendous. I wouldn't have had the patience to do that. You and Bill have devoted much of your life to your children and grandchildren, and I'm full of admiration.
Cloudy but about 50 degrees here today. I'm doing some reading and writing. It took much of a lifetime to accumulate this library, and it will be slow as I give it away. Rereading, skimming, riffing a page or two, a way of saying good-by and thank you.
Heaven help us with this crazy administration. It just gets worser and worser.
Aw, thanks, Pat. No one has enough patience for home schooling. You just deal with this day, this hour, and you learn to give yourself breaks as needed as well as the children. Today is a major Snow Day in the Northeast. Home Schoolers didn't really get a day off during bad weather. But neither were they bored! Of course, there were other days when I declared what amounts to a "snow emergency" and gave us all a day off. Ha!
I pretty much use "Bill" here and "Wil" at the HEP blog, because there is already a Bill there. Plus it's much faster to type than the long standing "Mah*Sweetie.". His actual name is Wilfred, but his family called him Bill.
puddleriver, does Nancy still need to cross the bridge to get to her new house, or is it that she's shopping for you too? I hope the river gets past crest and is going down before she returns. Keep us posted! ♥
Nope, she only needs to cross the bridge if she's bringing me something. The bridge/river and the road were the primary reason she moved. New place has several guys with pickups/plows and she's delighted to be shut of that, as well as the water over the bridge thang. She truly hated/feared being shut in by the water. I never have.
She decided not to go to lunch/shop today, AND the river's down to 2/3 of it's culverts, and no more rain for a bit, so we're good. Bless her heart.
No phone nor Internet for about 3 hours today, and neighbors experiencing the same. Mine came on about 1 PM, though that didn't happen for my neighbors. I spent about two hours trying to trouble shoot, plugging and unplugging things. We think it's all the construction in the Canyon. Supposedly there are crews working on it. I'm not sure why I got mine back before others did. Who Knows? Still, with no communication, at least we have transportation and can drive to a neighbor's house and communicate.
Just wanted to say hello, I'm still here. A grin and gratitude.
Pat, my goodness, yet another strange glitch for you. I think you must have some sort of record this year...! But yes, we can still communicate the GOOD old-fashioned way, and hallelujah for that.
Tonight I learned that two of my cousins (who are sisters) are coming to visit me April 9-11th. SO!! We just snagged tickets to take them to see Celtic Woman while there here. I can't begin to tell you how amazing this is! Early April in Vermont is after maple sugaring and before the cool museums open for the Summer. The one night they'll be here and free is a Tuesday night and just about nothing happens on a Tuesday night (no theatrical plays, etc). But I took a look at the Burlington scene anyway, just to see. And voila! The ONE big thing happening that very night is Celtic Woman. AND!! My cousins and I are linked by my Irish side of the family!!!!! I am so excited that this worked out!! 🍀🍀🍀
Whew. There's an argument going on Phil's facebook, precipitated by a woman who is mad that people who agree with her don't KNOW enough to agree with her. She's REALLY PISSED. Truly odd.
TED talks are so interesting. I am grateful someone thought to create that way of communicating and sharing ideas.
We had a truly dreary weather day, but that's okay. Overnight we got an inch of slushy wet snow glazed with ice. The grayness hung in the air all day, but the temp slowly rose to 43F ~ which it is right now at 9:20pm! Our overnight low is expected to be about 5F, so that's going to mean quite a drop in temperature. But by Wednesday it will be back in the 40's and Thursday as well.
I went out and cleared ice and snow where needed, especially off Bill's car. He has a miserable cold and I didn't want him standing out in freezing temps tomorrow. If I can manage to get through Tuesday afternoon without succumbing to the cold, I will have a week without anyone coming for meetings here. I will have one phone meeting on Friday, but it won't matter if I sound like a frog. I've been taking good care of myself and sleeping in the guest room for a few nights in the fond and vain hope of not catching Bill's cold. We'll see! Ha! We both have it all in perspective: It's NOT the flu!
You ARE a busy lady, Listener......have fun......! Stay well and warm. Here in Greensboro it is 54 degrees just now...expected 37 tonight. This last directly from ALEXA. Christmas gift to Brenda from her sister Dana. Brenda put all my med times on so that ALEXA reminds me...no slip ups! She also turns on equipment, etc. and best of all has the best sound system in her little box I have ever heard.
Day by day we learn what a huge mistake we have in the WhiteHouse!
Mistake is just the *nicest* way to refer to him, lol!
Me, I've resorted to praying the ground breaks away when he walks, he falls in and skins his shin and contracts a flesh-eating bacteria that goes strait to his pancreas and. . . . Or, goes to his left nostril and deforms it so badly that his base is repelled and puts pressure on the House to impeach him. Or. . . .
Wow, Shirlee! How impressive!! I use our Alexa much the same way I used my iPhone: I very much under-use it. I don't ask Alexa the weather or to tell a joke, and definitely don't let it turn on anything in the house. Ha! In fact, unless I want to listen to music, I push the button on top so that's it's OFF and not "listening" to our voices. I always get the creepy feeling that it would be so easy to be hacked and all our personal conversations listened to. But, of course, nobody really cares that much about what we think! LOL! Nonetheless, I ALWAYS have it turned off when someone comes for spiritual guidance...!
A friend of mine turned 75 today. Her family sent out a call for a Card Birthday, and I hope she was inundated with well wishes. I made a card to send, included a long hand-written letter of appreciation for her in it, and sent a pair of hand-dipped Candlemas candles, hand-decorated. She is a retired clergy woman and served for many years at the church that gives me the candle stubs that I made the candles with.
Thanks for posting Arshad's thread, puddle. Arshad is a good soul. Back in the Dean Campaign, I patched a few calls through to him while answering phones. The "march" was brief and poorly attended, except by opposing onlookers. Here's what I wrote on Arshad's thread:
I live a half hour outside of Burlington. A few years ago some white supremacists left a flyer on my lawn. I called the state police and they were interested enough to come by and see the flyer. I let them take it. Turns out it's not illegal to toss a flyer onto someone's lawn. But if you see them do it, you can tell them to take it away, and if they walk on your property unwelcome that's trespassing. If they put it into your mailbox, that's a federal offense. Not too long after that the flyers started showing up in Burlington. Resist.
66 comments:
Mueller is First!
So, I hear that Bernie is considering a 2020 campaign!! He had a meeting about it on Saturday. No decision yet, but he's definitely going to be a player in some capacity. God bless that man!
Also, folks are trying to get Joe Biden to run.
This is just a really nice feel-good story, that happened near me. ENJOY!!
http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Essex-Junction-man-thanking-doctors-who-saved-his-life-at-UVM-game-471162343.html
Hi listener, I left you a message on the last thread. Again, thank you for your thoughts and compassion.
Ah, Trump, is this a punishment we the people have deserved? He's the worst of greed, government by corporation, constant manipulation and attention. We need to turn off the TV, turn off our devices, shut out the noise and recognize the cacophony of a consumer, materialistic society. AARGH!
Bernie might have won the election, and how different our society might be. Go Bernie.
We the People did not create the Electoral College, and the Founders never imagined our current mess. DT is a aberration, a mishap, a flaw in the system. We can do better than this, and I'm sure we will again.
I don't know whether to hope Mueller takes out DT soon, or that it all waits until just before Election Day. If it means we'd get Pence, it needs to happen soon, so Pence can show his true colours before the Election. Otherwise, the closer to the Election, the larger the turnover, I suspect.
Pat ❤️💜💙 Note for you as well, on the last thread. 💙💛💚
Gorgeous blue sky sunny day with no wind and ⚡️blip!⚡️our power went out. Hmmm. It's approximately 90 customers, and the crew is on their way. Our Green Mountain Power crews are top notch.
...aaaaand we're back! 😃👍🏻
Can I get GMP to mentor Frontier? Who say they're coming tomorrow morning, and I must be available to let the guy in. In 23 years of major mess-ups from these peeps it has never, not once, been anything inside my house. . . .
Took him 2 hours to fix da phone.
Yea! You're up and running. Glad it's working.
Love the heading for this new thread, Puddle. I feel safer since you told us you have a
whole file of these . Thanks much.
Apartment emptied....Justin time...no more rent and utilities there.....help here with Brenda
for expenses.
Can I say I detest Trump and his minions more than anything I have met in my life ?!
Love to all
puddle, your phone guy fixed it in two hours? Hey, he's a good one. Keep him on speed dial!
Congratulations Shirlee and Brenda! Well done!!
High Five!! 🖐
They can all do it in that time--*once* they're ordered to arrive. . .
Yeah. When you call, read them the previous dates and outcomes, to cut through the "it might be inside" banter.
THE MEMO
House panel votes to release secret memo critical of FBI
It hints at a new GOP target: deputy attorney general
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/politics/2018/01/29/schiff-gop-house-panel-vote-release-classified-memo-alleging-improper-use-surveillance-russia-probe/7SevbFZxrTE2YXbQ2QHZhM/story.html?et_rid=632732895&s_campaign=todaysheadlines:newsletter
"People familiar with the underlying application have portrayed the Republican memo as misleading in part because Steele’s information was insufficient to meet the standard for a FISA warrant.
"They said the application drew on other intelligence material that the Republican memo selectively omits. That other information remains highly sensitive, and releasing it would risk burning other sources and methods of intelligence-gathering about Russia."
Everyone boycotting the Big Speech? We are...no need to have any more bad dreams
than necessary! All three keys to the qapartment will be turned in tomorrow!....mine,
Brenda’s and Pat’s the good weekly helper ~cleaning lady. DONE!
Off to bed...to listen to an audio book on Lincoln....balm for the soul...what a good man we had
....and lost.....
Love to all.....
So the SOTU speech is about to begin, I'm typing and my left thumb develops a twitch.
Why am I thinking of Shakespeare?
End of an era. May the next be as good, Shirlee! ♥
Once again, der Turnip was too sexy for the truth. . . .
Hi Friends,
I watched the speech last night. It was a performance, orchestrated, manipulated, and predictable. I can see why Republicans thought it was a success: the constant applause, the using people who have been heroic and generous to represent goodness, to elicit emotion, and the sense that Trump is an empty bucket, someone who performs and seeks adulation and control.
I was too tired to watch the Democratic rebuttal, but listened to NPR this morning for some perceptions. Will the constant attention and manipulation, the deceptions, the bragging and misinformation wake up the American people? Ben Franklyn said we have a democracy if we can keep it. I think we have a chance to do that.
It's as if the 24/7 media, the reality shows, the consumer based economics, the lobbying and corporate control of government has resulted in Trump and the the polarization of our country. Can we resist this, demand ethics, authenticity, fairness, a sense of community once again? I hope so.
Shirlee, I'm glad for you that transferring possessions has been carried out and you can relax and enjoy your new apartment.
I like your comment, Puddle.
Didn't get to see the blue blood moon 'cause of the snow (which didn't show), but night before, it was gorgemous as I went to bed.
Here's the link to my Moon photos, puddle. Also on FB, if that's easier.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10156811902291754.1073742520.637766753&type=1&l=ee922689c7
Pat, I always appreciate your philosophical and compassionately hopeful outlook.
I not only believe we have it in us to recover from this political mess, I believe it will happen sooner than later. For the first time in decades it seems the good and average members of Congress really want the help we can give. I think this Admin has really shaken them. But the pressure on Republicans to be dirty rotten scoundrels is intense. If Mueller has anything that the relatively good members can lean on, it will help. I hope and pray they will have the backbone to Impeach. If not, November is coming.
Thank you, Listener. I appreciate the many offerings you bring from activities, to family, to politics, to hope and insights.
About 6 inches of snow here, but light. I swept the deck, swept the snow off the cars, and now, I'm going to do some reading.
I, too, hope that we can solve this dilemma of a reckless, ideologically driven Republican dominance. It just seems to get worse and worse. Well, day by day, keeping up with the news, responding when we can, and supporting those people who want to represent us, who can represent us, to take the moral and courageous route to better government and fairness. I read that 1/5 of all Americans experience chronic anxiety. That tells me we need to do some real work as to calming, fairness, trust, and peacefulness. I think, Listener, you are a contributor to that. Thank you.
I agree, Pat. She is. And so are you.
Wonderfully warm today. Beau's been out for hours. Is happy.
And we have a month with a heart in it!!! &heart;
Thank YOU, Pat! Your note really made my day.
I spent today prepping for tomorrow's Candlemas candle dipping and I'm exhausted!! While I have all the big essentials, (such as altar candle stubs, cans, wick, scissors, etc.), it took awhile to find one or two items I will also need, especially rulers or thin shims that can host a pair of candles as I dip. I have the first three pair half done now, and feel like I could fall asleep sitting up!
So your note was all balm! 💖
I envy you both the snow and the reading. That could be my scene next week, though. 😊
Interesting...must have missed the reason Listener
Is melting candles....to make new ones?
Thanks to all for good wishes on the move....room is
finished, appropriate boxes of books, etc. off to my nine
grandchildren ....all over the country. So far we have
made people happy....including an eight year old ggrandson
who was eecstatic with a Mexican pottery cat!
You all may enjoy this...the last of the boooks were loaded up
and taken to Glenwood Books here in Greensboro. Al Brilliant
Is my age running his own shop, writing poetry, selling books
in the shop and through Amazon. The last load ...after he had already
Bought quite a few while he was at the apartment....After that we just sent
a last load over...no charge...do as you please.
He was ecstatic...is listing some on Amazon....just today sold ‘Worlds in Collision’
to someone in Russia.....author was Russian! The right book makes the recipient
happy!
P.S. I haven’t forgotten that Trump is a Skunk!
Love to all....
P.P.S....there WAS much more to this post about a local
book dealer made happy with the last of my books in the
apartment. Or maybe it is still there...let’s see!
Love to all...
listener is a long time practitioner of Candlemas. . . .
Colder than cold. Dog's having a hard time in the in-house prison, but admits that out is awful.
Dow down 666. . . .
Thanks, Puddle....now that you mention it....I think I remember discussing it here...maybe not!
In the low 20’s. here today.....lots of sunshine! Off to the pulmonologist yesterday...hissix weeks
was up and this lisinopril cough is better, but not gone....ordered blood test, chest x-ray
and cat scan of sinuses...we will see what is what.
So happy to have the apartment empty ....and favorite treasures
transferred here. All is well...done...finally...etc.
Love to all!
Here you go, Shirlee (and all)... a link to my Candlemas album. ENJOY!! (I sure did!!)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10156814671266754.1073742522.637766753&type=1&l=bd0456011b
Best of all, I gave my DIL some supplies and she hand-dipped candles with two of our grands today!!!!!
I am so happy that this is being passed on to the next generation!!! ♡
Thanks, Listener...for the photos......beautiful candles. Thanks
Do you give them as gifts?
Chilly and sleety here today.
Brenda just picked up the new Library of America edition of
Wendell Berry’s stories and novels whose settings are all before
WWII. Berry did not write them consecutively. Another volume
planned for the works taking place from WWII on. Beautiful
book....thin, thin paper...made of rayon. W.B. Shelves in my
Bedroom were purposely left a little ‘loose’. According to daughter
Dana.......she knows her Mom. Good day when a new book
gets picked up at the local bookstore!
Love to all...
Thank you, Shirlee! I give a pair each to the priest of the church and their altar guild directress to thank them for the candle stubs they save for me all year. I also decorate their big Paschal candle when they need a new one (which usually works out to every other years). Some are given for a special occasion, but most are given at Easter. Rarely we end up keeping a pair and actually using them ourselves. Ha!
Today, though, elder grandson gave me a pair of candles he helped dip at home!! That sure melted my heart!!! ♡
And I completely agree about a new book coming in!! YES!!!
I recently bought a book of the works of Dionysius. Now to carve out time to dip into it!
Bill and I are beginning to get excited about retirement. It's a few years off yet, but we are doing the necessary planning.
One of the things we will both enjoy most is more time to read!!
Today was a huge lot of fun! 9 members of our family gathered at our son's house (which he bought last May) for a Sledding Party!! We kept it simple with Cheese and Fruit and Pizza, then hot chocolate. It would have been nice to end with a bonfire, but the falling snow was getting stronger. So we took a rain check on that part. Actually, rain won't do, so I guess it's a "clear, warm evening" check. Ha!
I completed 30 days of Whole30 yesterday, so I went ahead and had a little pizza. Now back to being careful (especially avoiding sweeteners of all types), until April 5th. I'll have an A1C test that day and I really want to see what the best I can get for that will be, just from eating carefully. I am already promising myself a nice ice cream sundae after the test. Ha! But I'll be careful after that. I don't want to lose the ground I'm gaining, but I also don't want to be so strict about it long-term. Just sensible.
So far, so good!
Here is a photo from today of Bill and myself. This is the first time ever that we have ridden a sled alone together! HA!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156824221541754&l=8f5fdf3f30
Good Morning,
Windy here and cold. Ah winter. Beautiful photos, Listener, of the candles and the sledding. A smile here for your smiles. Thanks for posting.
Shirlee, so glad for you and being settled and receiving Wendel Berry's book A book is a gift opening the road to relationships, experiences, and imagination.
Hi Puddle. Hope all is well. I picture Beau having a wonderful time in the snow.
So, paperwork to do today and gathering tax information. Not much fun.
Paul Simon says his upcoming tour will be his last.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/05/entertainment/paul-simon-announces-last-tour-trnd/index.html
So glad we got to see him in concert in Vermont.
Still listening after all these years.
Pat, I'm thinking of you as you deal with this year's taxes.
We just finished ours this weekend (getting a refund), and realised that once we retire it gets a lot more complicated, with money coming from different funds, plus our business taxes meshing. Bill says he would like an accountant to do our taxes at that point.
I imagine it's more complicated (and one more thing all on you) this year, because of David's death in this tax year.
Deep breaths. One form at a time. You'll get there.
The sledding was great fun, but there was one awful moment. I was traipsing back up the hill pulling little granddaughter (2) on a sled, with elder granddaughter (10) pulling her sled, when littlest's brother (4) came barreling down the hill on a big tube sled. Due to the various bumps and curves of the hill, he shifted and was heading straight for us. We did our best to get out of the way, but with the little one behind me on the sled that was a long train to move and he whammed her sled such that she went fling through the air and landed WHUMP in the snow!! She was surprised, not injured (THANK ALL THAT IS HOLY!!!), and her Daddy was near to hand and came to her, and soon she was back on the sled so I could pull her the rest of the way. Kids are rubbery. Gramie is not so rubbery. I felt terrible that I had not been able to get her out of the way in time!!! Moreover, I had a half day of serious self doubt because when I got to the top of the hill one person told me that had we moved to the left instead of the right we would have made it. Another told me that I should have just let his tube hit me because it would have bounced off. I had no prior experience with snow tubes, so didn't know that. The nagging ache in my heart was the giant question WHY didn't I simply place myself in harm's way to protect her??!! That seems the obvious thing now. I suppose it's that elder granddaughter moved first and I went the way she did. We had less than two seconds to act. Even so, it has given me pause.
What has gotten me through it is that littlest granddaughter was completely unscathed by it, once she had some Daddy reassurance to get over her scary surprise.
I think I need a hug.
fling = flying (but either works)
Dear Listener, Please don't be so hard on yourself. When something happens like that, there's no time for analysis or weighing options. Of course, you would put yourself in front of her to protect her, and she's all right. Things happen, and you are a loving, protective, nurturing Grandmother.
I think we can all remember a time when we and our loved ones were at risk and we acted, and luckily, blessedly, they were all right.
Snowing here. Ah winter. I'm ready for spring.
When I was small, I was having a fuss with a neighbor girl, and if I hadn't ducked when she threw the rock, she wouldn't have hit me in the head with it. AFTER, it was clear I should have side stepped. After.
Thanks, folks. As I told the sledding story to a friend today, I realised something additional. I did not have the option of staying in the way of the snow tube. And do you know why? That was my 4 year old grandson barreling toward me. The tube might have bounced off of me, or it might have ejected him, and it might have knocked me over onto my granddaughter..! She was lying down in a plastic sled that was on the ground, so while she flew through the air and plopped into the snow, it wasn't from much height. He was sitting up in the tube and, weighing more, would have had a harder fall anyway. And his personality definitely would not have recovered as quickly from the surprise of a collision. As it turned out, his tube struck the back of her sled, which energy propelled her out of the sled. But neither child was injured, and that's the bottom line.
I appreciate your helping me through this. Gosh, I love those babies!!
And (hush hush for now) those two are going to be joined by a new sibling this Summer! They will learn of it on Valentine's Day! The rest of the family will learn of it after they do. We grandparents have known since just before Christmas. So happy!! 💚💜💛
PS: No word on gender until the birth.
Here's a funny thing. I got a robocall tonight from someplace with a local number, and immediately blocked it. Then I googled the number and it was the Burlington School District. Just as I'm wondering what the Burlington School District would be calling me for, my husband's phone rang from the same number. So he listened to the message and it was to tell us that Burlington schools will close tomorrow at 1:00pm...! As I'm not in the Burlington School District I was mystified. Turns out grandson recently got registered for Kindergarten next year and we were included in his emergency contact list! HAAA! Having home schooled our children K-12, this was the first school call we've ever received! 😄
Wow, home schooling your kids. That's tremendous. I wouldn't have had the patience to do that. You and Bill have devoted much of your life to your children and grandchildren, and I'm full of admiration.
Cloudy but about 50 degrees here today. I'm doing some reading and writing. It took much of a lifetime to accumulate this library, and it will be slow as I give it away. Rereading, skimming, riffing a page or two, a way of saying good-by and thank you.
Heaven help us with this crazy administration. It just gets worser and worser.
Take good care of yourselves.
Democrat Wins Special Election In Missouri District That Went 61% For Trump
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/missouri-special-election_us_5a7a6df2e4b0d0ef3c0a8594
Aw, thanks, Pat. No one has enough patience for home schooling. You just deal with this day, this hour, and you learn to give yourself breaks as needed as well as the children. Today is a major Snow Day in the Northeast. Home Schoolers didn't really get a day off during bad weather. But neither were they bored! Of course, there were other days when I declared what amounts to a "snow emergency" and gave us all a day off. Ha!
listener, been wondering for a bit--what's behind the decision for Bill to become Wil?
I pretty much use "Bill" here and "Wil" at the HEP blog, because there is already a Bill there. Plus it's much faster to type than the long standing "Mah*Sweetie.". His actual name is Wilfred, but his family called him Bill.
Ah. Good thinking, lol!
Had lotsa rain today, and melting, so river's sheeting over bridge. Nancy's shopping, so don't know how she is gonna feel about that. Will see.
puddleriver, does Nancy still need to cross the bridge to get to her new house, or is it that she's shopping for you too? I hope the river gets past crest and is going down before she returns. Keep us posted! ♥
Nope, she only needs to cross the bridge if she's bringing me something. The bridge/river and the road were the primary reason she moved. New place has several guys with pickups/plows and she's delighted to be shut of that, as well as the water over the bridge thang. She truly hated/feared being shut in by the water. I never have.
She decided not to go to lunch/shop today, AND the river's down to 2/3 of it's culverts, and no more rain for a bit, so we're good. Bless her heart.
Glad for you Puddle and Nancy.
No phone nor Internet for about 3 hours today, and neighbors experiencing the same. Mine came on about 1 PM, though that didn't happen for my neighbors. I spent about two hours trying to trouble shoot, plugging and unplugging things. We think it's all the construction in the Canyon. Supposedly there are crews working on it. I'm not sure why I got mine back before others did. Who Knows? Still, with no communication, at least we have transportation and can drive to a neighbor's house and communicate.
Just wanted to say hello, I'm still here. A grin and gratitude.
Oh, so good to hear the river is behaving!!
Pat, my goodness, yet another strange glitch for you. I think you must have some sort of record this year...!
But yes, we can still communicate the GOOD old-fashioned way, and hallelujah for that.
Tonight I learned that two of my cousins (who are sisters) are coming to visit me April 9-11th. SO!! We just snagged tickets to take them to see Celtic Woman while there here. I can't begin to tell you how amazing this is! Early April in Vermont is after maple sugaring and before the cool museums open for the Summer. The one night they'll be here and free is a Tuesday night and just about nothing happens on a Tuesday night (no theatrical plays, etc). But I took a look at the Burlington scene anyway, just to see. And voila! The ONE big thing happening that very night is Celtic Woman. AND!! My cousins and I are linked by my Irish side of the family!!!!! I am so excited that this worked out!! 🍀🍀🍀
there = they're
I must have missed a letter and it autoincorrected
Whew. There's an argument going on Phil's facebook, precipitated by a woman who is mad that people who agree with her don't KNOW enough to agree with her. She's REALLY PISSED. Truly odd.
Still think, after a decade, that this describes the situation better than anything else. . . .
https://palady.wordpress.com/2006/03/22/study-whiny-kids-become-republicans/
Hi Friends,
Sunny today but woke up with the temperature in the single digits.
Sun make such a difference. Listening to the TED hour on NPR right now.
TED talks are so interesting. I am grateful someone thought to create that way of communicating and sharing ideas.
We had a truly dreary weather day, but that's okay. Overnight we got an inch of slushy wet snow glazed with ice. The grayness hung in the air all day, but the temp slowly rose to 43F ~ which it is right now at 9:20pm! Our overnight low is expected to be about 5F, so that's going to mean quite a drop in temperature. But by Wednesday it will be back in the 40's and Thursday as well.
I went out and cleared ice and snow where needed, especially off Bill's car. He has a miserable cold and I didn't want him standing out in freezing temps tomorrow. If I can manage to get through Tuesday afternoon without succumbing to the cold, I will have a week without anyone coming for meetings here. I will have one phone meeting on Friday, but it won't matter if I sound like a frog. I've been taking good care of myself and sleeping in the guest room for a few nights in the fond and vain hope of not catching Bill's cold. We'll see! Ha! We both have it all in perspective: It's NOT the flu!
You ARE a busy lady, Listener......have fun......! Stay well and warm.
Here in Greensboro it is 54 degrees just now...expected 37 tonight.
This last directly from ALEXA. Christmas gift to Brenda from her
sister Dana. Brenda put all my med times on so that ALEXA reminds
me...no slip ups! She also turns on equipment, etc. and best of
all has the best sound system in her little box I have ever heard.
Day by day we learn what a huge mistake we have in the WhiteHouse!
Love to all....
Mistake is just the *nicest* way to refer to him, lol!
Me, I've resorted to praying the ground breaks away when he walks, he falls in and skins his shin and contracts a flesh-eating bacteria that goes strait to his pancreas and. . . . Or, goes to his left nostril and deforms it so badly that his base is repelled and puts pressure on the House to impeach him. Or. . . .
Wow, Shirlee! How impressive!! I use our Alexa much the same way I used my iPhone: I very much under-use it. I don't ask Alexa the weather or to tell a joke, and definitely don't let it turn on anything in the house. Ha! In fact, unless I want to listen to music, I push the button on top so that's it's OFF and not "listening" to our voices. I always get the creepy feeling that it would be so easy to be hacked and all our personal conversations listened to. But, of course, nobody really cares that much about what we think! LOL! Nonetheless, I ALWAYS have it turned off when someone comes for spiritual guidance...!
PS: I didn't even know that Alexa can tell you when it's time to do something. I wouldn't even know how to program it to do that.
A friend of mine turned 75 today. Her family sent out a call for a Card Birthday, and I hope she was inundated with well wishes. I made a card to send, included a long hand-written letter of appreciation for her in it, and sent a pair of hand-dipped Candlemas candles, hand-decorated. She is a retired clergy woman and served for many years at the church that gives me the candle stubs that I made the candles with.
New thread!
PS:
Thanks for posting Arshad's thread, puddle. Arshad is a good soul. Back in the Dean Campaign, I patched a few calls through to him while answering phones.
The "march" was brief and poorly attended, except by opposing onlookers. Here's what I wrote on Arshad's thread:
I live a half hour outside of Burlington. A few years ago some white supremacists left a flyer on my lawn. I called the state police and they were interested enough to come by and see the flyer. I let them take it. Turns out it's not illegal to toss a flyer onto someone's lawn. But if you see them do it, you can tell them to take it away, and if they walk on your property unwelcome that's trespassing. If they put it into your mailbox, that's a federal offense. Not too long after that the flyers started showing up in Burlington. Resist.
There's a New Thread...!
Post a Comment