Friday, September 14, 2018

Love this!


73 comments:

puddle said...

Still no rain. Since the forecast has changed so much-- 5" of rain vs 20" or more of rain. Etc. Am staying put. I expect elec outages, phone outages, so don't call Sheriff Chuck!

listener said...

I make no promises about not calling Sheriff Chuck. I'm gonna trust my gut. If you go silent and your phone doesn't respond, and the news about your area seems ultra spooky, I'm going to send in a posse!!

Besides, why should I mind about getting Sheriff Chuck to make a little effort for you? I figure he could use a little excitement anyway. 😉

Did I mention that I still have Sheriff Chuck on speed dial?

(I'll get Kimmy to call too. 😂)

listener said...

We're headed to Maine for the weekend to see those adorable grands!

Then on Monday I drive to and from NH for a Peer Meeting and I'm the Convener.

So if you don't see me here until Tuesday, don't send Sheriff Chuck. 😄

puddle said...

Been amazingly quiet, still here today. Small fine rain. No wind at all.

Culverts running at 10, 20 per cent.

Pat said...

Glad you are all right.

puddle said...

Slow, quiet rain. Cool. River has not risen so far.

puddle said...

Rain seems to have stopped for the moment. Can't hear the river at all. So blessedly, for the moment, nothing's happening, at all.

listener said...

So very good to read your messages, puddle. SOOOOOOOOO good.

HALLO! Made it to Maine and back again. We walked the Marginal Way as the Atlantic was coming to high tide. Captivatingly beautiful, and so amazing to see such calm there knowing what was going on to the south. I have to be up and out early to convene a Peer meeting in NH. So it will be a day or two before I'm conversant around here again. SOON!

puddle said...

Rain seems to have stopped, at least for a while. River's over the bridge, but not by much. Has been higher five or six times this summer. Still have electric and both phones. Life is good.

whitznd said...

HAHAHA love the meme!

listener said...

Got about 4.5hrs of real sleep last night, then had to be up and out early to convene a meeting of Peers, in NH (2.5hrs drive each way). Stopped at the VT border for a late lunch with a friend, then home at dinnertime. I was so exhausted that I came home and took a nap before eating. Tonight....sore throat. Grandson was coming down with something on the weekend. Heh. I'm going to sleep in tomorrow and try not to talk much all day.

listener said...

I very much appreciate the updates puddle. ♥

puddle said...

Still no more rain. River's receding. Quiet as can be. And all utilities working.

Barb, glad you liked it. Me too, lol!

Thankful said...

Happy Birthday, puddle!

puddle said...

We have blue skies, and sunshine. River's running jade, and just barely sheeting over the bridge. Gorgeous day! What a lovely birthday gift from Ma. We had about an inch and a half of rain, in total.

Thanks, Thankful. It was utterly fine talking to you the other day! xox

listener said...

Haha! Joke's on me! I came by to post this (below) and see that puddle was just here!!
(No doubt my call knocked her off Dial Up. Phooey! Sorry about that puddle!!! Here's what I was thinking to post:


I tried to call puddle today to sing her Happy Birthday, but it just rang and rang. I imagine that means her birthday gift from the phone company was no service. 😒🙄☹️

Hopefully she will get to come here soon and read all her birthday messages and know we've been thinking of her on her special day. 🎂🍰🎉🎁🎏🍧

listener said...

✨💖✨ THANKFUL!!! ✨💖✨

I think of you so often!! Rene's Bluebells were their best ever this Summer! 🎏

Pat said...

Happy Birthday Puddle. We are two days apart. Have just spent hours all day dealing with a computer phishing. I've lost my email addresses, am now trying a Gmail address. Will get back to you.

Thankful said...

Happy Birthday to you, Pat!

Wow! Bluebells still going strong! listener, I think of you often as well :)

I tried growing some on the balcony, but they got drowned by the waterfall off the roof; I forgot to pull them back before going out and it rained hard. Haven't planted anything for a couple years now but have an ivy and weird 'tree' from dad's wake... that ivy is going gangbusters - worthy of Wrigley Field!!! Go Cubs!

puddle said...

I think Ken (my new uproad neighbor) must have come down early and cleared the culverts. They're running at about 50%. Warm day.

Feeling very bad for those hardest hit. And enormously grateful it was so good for me. I'm well aware of just how lucky we were, here. And grateful that my clot of neighbors over on Falcon Lane did not have to relive the 85 storm, Juan. Which permanently traumatized them vis a vis hurricanes.

Happy birthday, Pat1 Sorry I missed it. 16th, right?

And go Cubs, indeed, lol!

listener said...

Just learned that the crazy big weed I removed from my garden last week was none other than American Nightshade aka Deadly Nightshade aka Atropic Belladonna. Wow. I'm so glad I was wearing gloves!

listener said...

Aw, do try again, Thankful! They love sun but need good drainage.

So, wow! We have at least 3 September birthdays here, eh?

10th listener
16th Pat
18th puddle

When is everyone else's???

And has anyone heard from Brenda since Florence went through?

listener said...

Pat, check your FB messages. 💗🎂

puddle said...

I've been thinking about her, too. But have another friend in that area who's doing fine. Hardly missed work as a matter of fact. And a five year old who hasn't missed school. So. . . .

Pat said...

Hi Friends, It took three days, but I'm up and running. I clicked on something thinking it was a message from my email and all email stopped. But, I'm back, and I realize how much I depend on the computer and friends. Interesting that we three are all September babies.

Well, I'm pretty tired, so will visit again. I hope Brenda is all right, and so glad that you are, as well, Puddle. I am on Facebook again, Listener. Yea.

See you later.

listener said...

Welcome back, Pat! It's such a THUD feeling when our electronic communication gets compromised. Good for you getting back up and running!! We just can't do without you. Your wisdom and compassion shine in your posts, and I always look forward to your pithy and compelling comments on life and love and the world.

Pat said...

Good Morning, Listener. You are so kind, so giving, we can't do without you, either. I've come to the conclusion that whatever happens teaches. I've learned a little more about computers and my own impatience. My sons and I have communicated more, and we have, I hope, better understanding about who we are and how we perceive events and experiences. I have to smile, my son quoted me, saying, to check perceptions because 90 percent of our perceptions are wrong. I had quoted that to him several weeks ago. It was said by Thich Nhat Hanh, the monk whose retreats I attended seven times. I have to smile because this told that my son listens to me, at least occasionally.

Life is a gift, and when faced with losing all my stored emails from friends, photographs, addresses, a calm ensues. Enjoy today.

Love to you all.

Thankful said...

Will do, come spring, listener :) I'll try a different container for sure. And a belated Happy Birthday to you. (8-6 here)

Yesterday was a miserable, sticky 90 that thankfully blew away overnight to bring an absolutely gorgeous day today. Off to do some laundry and then out for anniversary dinner (10 yrs. yesterday!)

listener said...

Excellent perspective, Pat!


Thay (Thich Nhat Hahn) is so wise. I hope he is faring all right after his terrible stroke last year.

It is said that St. Ignatius was once asked how long it would take him to recover if his Jesuit order was completely dismantled. He replied sadly and a little ashamedly, "Fifteen minutes."


Life itself is indeed a gift. I get glimpses of that when I see a scene that takes my breath away and I have no camera near to hand. That happened today. I was driving home from one town away and the mountains were just a wee bit misty as the light was beginning to fade. It was so compelling and beautiful and I knew I would have to remember it because I could not photograph it while driving. It is in my heart.

You are too. ♡

listener said...

💙💙 HAPPY ANNIVERSARY THANKFUL & SWEETIE!!!! 🎏

WOW! How could it already be 10 whole years?!!?! 😮😍😘
❤️ ❤️ 💛 💛 💚 💚 💙 💙 💜 💜

✨How Absolutely Lovely!!! 💐

🎉 Happy Birthday a tad late, and may this be the best year yet!! 🎂 XOXOXXX


And please oh please do keep coming by to post with us! We are a small community of kind hearted women who are so free to speak about what's happening in our lives, country and world. SUCH a gift! We can always use a little more conversation, and you fit in beautifully.

puddle said...

Happy Anniversary! My, *that* was a ten years that just flew by!

Right chilly today. Got the heat on tonight.

Continue to pray for an early departure by der turnip. Failing that, that I/we just survive.

Thankful said...

Thank youz :) An amazingly fast ten years! I'm thankful to be with him for all the support and tolerance he showed during the way-stressful long-term care giving I was involved in with an aunt, mom in-law, and dad. Inevitably, time flies even when you're not having fun! Twas a rough part of life's journey.

Yes, this is a community of the most kind, wonderful, and thoughtful women I know. Have missed being in touch and will be posting again ;)

Chilly here, too, the last couple evenings, but back to 70's tomorrow.

Loudly echo that wish of an early demise - and of the whole cabal. May it be peaceful turmoil.

listener said...

Thankful, I see we have much catching up to do...! Sending lots of love your way. I'm sad for the struggles in your journey, and relieved for you that you've made it to now. I'm also very grateful for your supportive Sweetie!!!

As to the demise of the most incompetent and infuriating leader this nation has ever had, that may be coming soon. Meanwhile, his Supreme Court nominee has new accusers!

TALKING POINTS MEMO
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/things-moving-very-fast

CNN
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/23/politics/kavanaugh-allegation-second-woman/index.html

listener said...

And this:
https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/1044032678951960576

puddle said...

Today would have been my mother's 101st birthday. An amazing woman, truly.

Pat said...

Hi Friends, It's good to hear from you, Thankful. Hope you will continue to write.

Hi Puddle, an amazing daughter too. A smile here. Thanks for the URLs Listener. It just gets more and more complicated.

Cool, dry, sunny here. I'm working on my library. Trying to choose which books to give away. It's hard, hard, but I want to do this.

Glad you are here. Love to you all. Best to Brenda. I worry with all the flooding.

listener said...

Happy 101st Mom of puddle!! 💖

On this day, 36 years ago, Youngest was born, at home, on a beautiful sunny afternoon, with a tree with red leaves just outside the window. 🍁

Brenda Jane said...

Good morning all! Forgive me, I should have checked in earlier after Hurricane Florence. Greensboro was very lucky, the storm swerved around us. We got a lot of rain, some tree damage etc. I never lost power. The devastation along the coast is massive. Many creeks and rivers have crested at 50-60ft above normal. It will be years before some ppl will return ito "normal" if they do at all.

This is very busy time for me. The Carolina Theatre of Greensboro, where I work, has been going thru a renovation. The deadline is drawing close as we have a wedding in the building on Saturday, October 4th. Yikes! Then we have donor appreciation events, open houses for the public etc. New seats, new carpet, expanded restrooms, updated concessions area, updated dressing rooms! She is a beautiful building and going strong at 91 years!

Pat, Listener and Puddle -- please keep your eyes on your mailbox. A package should arrive late this week, early next! Anticipation is part of the fun!

Talk to you soon.

Brenda

Pat said...

So good to hear from you, Brenda Jane. Glad you are okay, glad that the storm swerved, and 50 to 60 feet above normal, ohhh, sad, how life changes, challenges, and calls us to try to repair, rebuild and care for each other.

Your theater work sounds wonderful, full of activities, connections, and community. Hope all goes well.

Yes, eyes looking out for a package.

Congratulations, Listener, on your youngest's birthday. You do so much good in this world. Have a wonderful day.

listener said...

Hurrah! So good to hear from you, Brenda, especially to hear that all is well in Greensboro!!!

What a wonderful job you have, working at a theatre!! But I can see that it has been a huge lot of work recently. I hope that settles down before too long. What delightful activities to be shepherding!!!

A package! So curious! ♡

listener said...

I can't imagine the devastation the coast of NC must be dealing with...!! I have been there, out on the Outer Banks with my wildlife biologist son, and got some wonderful photography of bird nests, when I accompanied him on his rounds one day. I can't imagine how the towns out there will manage. The birds will be okay. Their lifestyle is so transient, the storm may have drowned some of their predators, and the reformed mudflats will be fresh grounds that they will make good use of. We humans do not recover so easily.

listener said...

I plan to watch the hearing tomorrow. How about others here? If you're watching, come by and blog a bit. I'll do so as well.

listener said...

Christine Blasey Ford went to her grandmother's funeral then took the polygraph test. Wow. I can hardly take in what this woman has been through. The Republicans are doing nothing to help themselves. I think their days are numbered.

Thankful said...

What a credible witness. I was so pained to hear her say she knew it would be bad; it's been worse :(

Hi Pat and Brenda Jane ::waving::

Listener, had a long reply entered and lost it couple days ago. Dang that I only have phone for internet. Helping a friend move this week. Will get back soon.

Happy birthday wishes to puddle's mom (would have been dad's 90th) and listener's youngest!

listener said...

Sen. Lindsey Graham is going on the attack, saying that because Ford doesn't have perfect recall of the location and how she got home that night, etc., that her entire account is in question. Apparently he chooses to remain ignorant of how trauma actually affects humans. People who have been assaulted have clear memory of the assault and fuzzy memory around it. There are neurological reasons for that.


Today is the 15th Anniversary of PhD*Son and his dear Spouse. ♥♥

listener said...

Thankful, I'm sad that happened to you. As for me, though, no worries. I can wait well, while yet eager. You are so kind to help a friend move! ♡

listener said...

It took awhile but I got through and, as the mother of two and grandmother of three in Kennebunk, one of whom is a town selectman, I left a good VoiceMail message for Senator Collins, asking her in her integrity that I value, to please call for an FBI investigation and a polygraph test for Judge Kavanaugh. I said that I have waited to hear the testimony and I am heartsick and my intuition is screaming that we need to take care of this. I hope it helps.

listener said...

Looks like they have the votes.


HEAVY Sigh.

listener said...

Majority of Republicans believe sexual assault should not disqualify a person for the Supreme Court.

https://www.newsweek.com/sexual-assault-should-not-disqualify-kavanaugh-proven-majority-republicans-1141877

listener said...

CNN reports that Sen. Jeff Flake has agreed to send the nomination to the floor provided the floor vote is delayed up to a week to allow for an FBI investigation.

The Committee vote was, predictably, 11Rs yes, 10Ds no.

listener said...

Yale classmate of Kavanaugh disappointed in his "blatant lying."
https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/09/28/lynne-brookes-kavanaugh-classmate-cuomo-cpt-intv-vpx-bts.cnn

listener said...

Had a nice dinner out with Root*Center*Son, celebrating his birthday. #38. Wow. 38 years ago I was living in Virginia. So happy to be in Vermont.

Pat said...

Hi Friends,
Thank you, Listener, for keeping us posted. I'm glad for the delay, hoping that there can be corroboration of Dr. Ward's account. A friend sent me an email with a New York Times article. The Trump Administration is destroying the EPA, has fired 1600 staff, and there are no staff who represent science. Now how could any rational human being do this? I'm hoping that there is outrage and enormous voter turnout, and we can begin to repair, reinvest, reorient this country for the common good and common sense.

Congratulations to you son on his 38th and to his parents.
Hot and dry here today and a cold, drizzley, day yesterday. Ah Winter, not my favorite season. My love to you all.

Pat said...

Whoops, Dr. Ford. Don't know why I confuse her name. But then, I confuse lots of things. A smile here.

puddle said...

This is a beaut! https://jacobinmag.com/2018/09/brett-kavanaugh-banality-elites-meritocracy

listener said...

Pat, as to the anti-science climate in the USA, here are two bright spots:

(1) California is considering opening its own climate change institute and publishing its findings.

(2) Meanwhile, Canadian scientists are returning a favour that US scientists did for them awhile back. During their own conservative government repression of science, prior to Trudeau, they sent their data to the US for publication. Now Canada is receiving data from US scientists and publishing it for them. Don't worry; the research is still taking place.

The backward turn in regulations is definitely not good news, though. Remember in November.

listener said...

Today was VT*Grand's first horse show. She earned 5 ribbons, including one 2nd place, and won Reserve Champion (fancy term for second place) overall, for the day, in her division. She was VERY happy and the rest of us incredibly proud. 😍

Pat said...

Hi Listener, Thank you for the references. That is encouraging. Again, it's astounding the stupidity, the aggression, and the misuse of power in these times. I'm hopeful there is a vigilant and committed citizenry that will vote and we will regain some sanity, some commitment to the common good.

Congratulations to Grand. That's wonderful.

Hope your day is good, friends.

listener said...

A clergy woman I met with today told me of her heartache that so many in her congregation cannot afford healthcare. She would like to see the various church denominations come together to demand a sane healthcare plan for our nation. I wonder why they haven't already. Has anyone heard of something like this happening? Any thoughts?

listener said...

Has everyone seen this?

Every time Ford and Kavanaugh dodged a question, in one chart
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/9/28/17914308/kavanaugh-ford-question-dodge-hearing-chart

listener said...

Today I received the most heartwarming parcel from Brenda Jane!!

I don't want to steal her thunder if others' packages haven't yet arrived.

Let us know when they do and we can share. Soooooo sweet.

💖Shirlee💖 is right here in my house in a way. I love this. Thank you so much Brenda!!! 💝📚🌺

Oh how I wish I could hear Shirlee's views this week! What do you suppose she'd be saying?

listener said...

t's almost as if DT just doesn't get it.

"It's a scary time for young men in America"
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/02/politics/trump-scary-time-for-young-men-metoo/index.html

puddle said...

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/why-i-wouldnt-confirm-brett-kavanaugh/571936/

listener said...

How low can one go? This low:

Trump mocks Christine Blasey Ford's sexual assault testimony at Mississippi rally
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-rally-mississippi-10-02-18/index.html

listener said...

Are you gonna vote?
#Me Too!

Pat said...

Hi Friends,
Brenda Jane's gifts arrived from Shirlee's library. A delight: two books, one by Wendell Berry, the other by Asne Seierstad,The Bookseller of Kabul, and a Woody Guthrie novel on disk. I am smiling. I'm delighted. How thoughtful, how kind.

Thank you Brenda and Shirlee.

puddle said...


This is what you shall do,
--Love the earth and sun and animals,
--despise riches,
--give alms to everyone that asks,
--stand up for the stupid and crazy,
--devote your income and labor to others,
--hate tyrants,
--argue not concerning God,
--have patience and indulgence towards the people,
--take off your hat to nothing known or unknown
or to any man or number of men,
--go freely with powerful uneducated persons and
with the young and with the mothers of families,
--read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life,
--re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book,
--dismiss whatever insults your own soul,

... and your very flesh shall be a great poem


~~ Walt Whitman.

listener said...

Ah, Pat. I too am feeling so enriched by Brenda's thoughtfulness and Shirlee's legacy.

Mine is the Wendell Berry book The Wild Birds, Peter Beagle's The Last Unicorn, and audio CDs of Mark Twain's Best Short Stories, unabridged...!! Even the lovely Appalachia card that accompanied the gifts lifts my soul.

I'm thinking of adding a note about this sweet way of passing books along to the folder of thoughts and ideas and strive plans we are keeping for our children, for when our turn comes.

✨🌹📖😍❤️💙💜💛💚💖📚😘☘️✨

listener said...

Hmmm, the word "strive" should be "service"!

AutoINcorrect sure takes liberties! Ha!

listener said...

Lovely snip of Whitman, puddle. Thanks, we need such wisdom in these days that try the soul.

I especially appreciate the line:

"dismiss whatever insults your own soul"

Yea, verily! I always tell the seekers I meet with to toss out anything I say that does not resonate with their own wisdom. The wisdom they are seeking is already within them when they come to sit with me. My part is to listen for it, and shine a light on it. But I can be mistaken. They will know.

listener said...

This article has so much truth that I am sharing here. I'm not even sure what more there is to say.

The Cruelty is the Point
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/the-cruelty-is-the-point/572104/

I once had a conversation with my friend, author and psychiatrist Jerry May, in which he told me about his work, years before, with prisoners who had murdered people. At the time I said it seemed to me a person who could take a life lacked the capacity for empathy and intimacy. Jerry assured me that most of them found the act of murder very intimate indeed. I could never wrap my mind around that until I read this article.

listener said...

Sen. Pat Leahy has been on Vermont Edition this half hour. He is livid and trying so hard.

"If more information comes forward [about Kavanaugh] even if he's already on the court, I will do all I can to investigate." ~ Pat Leahy

puddle said...

New thread!!