Thursday, October 4, 2018

Posted this elsewhere; posting here to keep it.

I used to imagine a couple of hominids walking along the edge of the Olduvai Gorge. The male does something that pisses off the female. She charges him and starts pounding on his chest. He picks her up by the scruff of her neck, drops her in the Gorge, and there go all those combative genes from the female half of the gene pool. Repeat over a couple hundred thousand years, and you've got a female who has learned to charm and wheedle rather than confront.
.
Then the west discovers that the Chinese have gun powder. A bit more refining, and bingo: hand guns. And women are in the street, agitating for education, for votes, the whole megillah.

Sun Tzu recommended that you never surround your enemy completely, that you leave them a way out. With no way out, your enemy fights more fiercely. Men, the worst of them, are at that point now--they're endangered. They *can't* give up, or they "cease to be men". . . . Gonna be a helluva fight.
.
Truth is, I have no good answers. I dream of a prison planet where we could send the pigs, so the rest of us can live in peace.

72 comments:

listener said...

Wow! Something tells me those fiesty genes would regenerate. But, at very least, women became smarter than men. While a boy's braun develops faster, a girl's brain develops faster. She has far more fine motor skills than he at age 2 and 7 and possibly 17. We may not be as physically powerful, but we could outsmart them.

That said, I'm feeling as near as I ever have to just cashing in my political chips. I'm sick of the whole thing. National Nurse can't get a hearing; someone as blatantly unfit as Kavanaugh gets to be a Justice; we have the most disgusting American of all as President. I declare that if the Republicans really are fired up now, and we don't win House and Senate, I have a will to just stop reading the news and go about my life. Spend time with my grandchildren, sit with people seeking spiritual guidance, help a neighbour, read the classics, listen to Mozart. Pray. Just be. It seems to be that that would be just as good a thumbing of my nose at the dictator in chief as any other action I could take.

listener said...

*seems to me, that is

Pat said...

Yes, a heart breaking time. I wondered if the vote for cloture might turn out as a negative vote for confirmation, ending the ongoing turbulence and media attention towards Kavanaugh. He'd be done, out, and a new nominee would be named. I'm hoping that this might be the strategy, but then I've always been optimistic.

What baffles me is how anyone can support Trump, how Republicans have abandoned logic, ethics, fairness, individual responsibility and have followed the nefarious, mean minded, and dishonest maneuverings of McConnell, Trump, members of Trump's cabinet and appointees. How could we be so cruel, so disregardful of facts, of fairness, of the common good? I'm feeling very sad, more than disappointed with humanity. With all the opportunities, resources, education, communication how can we be so ignorant, so biased. Yes, Listener, I'm with you in my frame of mind, but we have to continue, we have to.

listener said...

Sen. Susan Collins is much more moderate and reasonable than most Republicans, and Maine voted for Bernie. So this really hurts.

We need to require that our leadership have psychiatric workups. Just to be considered for the priesthood, I had to have a complete work up. Our leaders affect not just a congregation, but the whole nation. But they get a mental capacity pass.

It’s so sad that she seems to believe what BK has said, vs what he will do going forward.

NOT COOL of her to evoke Merrick Garland.

I am supremely disappointed.

NPR’s Science Friday dealt with the reality of the meaning of presumption of innocence! Legally, it is ONLY related to criminal cases! CBF deserves a presumption of innocence too.

I’m less worried about Roe v Wade (which could largely be mitigated by States if necessary). I am more concerned about the Supremes turning DT into a full fledged dictator. At very least, he is going to be insufferable in his gloating, and right wingers are going to become all the more freely cruel. Today we are entering a new, dark era in our nation’s history.

listener said...

Pat, are you getting snowed on? We have a frost advisory tonight.

When W was doing things like bombing Baghdad, Wil and I wallpapered our guest room and recreated our kitchen. Small potatoes, I know, but it was a way of doing something creative and beautiful while others were bent on destruction. We are about to see an upsurge in freedom of cruelty in our nation, so I plan to be more loving, compassionate and kind to others. The universe needs help with balance.

I am also going to work at the polls. But if the polls do not serve well, that may be my last time. It feels like Democracy has become a joke in our nation. If I could live without social security I would definitely move an hour north into Canada where people are generally kind, polite and open minded.

listener said...

40 years ago tonight, our third child was born. Labor started at 7pm and he was born at home at 8:17pm weighing 10lbs, 2oz. Most of that hour and 17 minutes was spent trying to reach my husband and our childcare person, and the doctor came straight to our house, arriving after the birth...so we know we wouldn't have made it to the hospital. It was a dang good thing my sweet husband had read the Association for Childbirth At Home International manual and has a nearly eidetic memory. Because Shiloh's shoulders got stuck, but Bill knew to change the force of gravity by getting my on my hands and knees (the Gaskin Maneuver), such that his shoulders could rotate, saving Shiloh's life without brain damage. In fact, he's the son with the PhD!

Birthdays are really a bigger deal for the parents. The child doesn't remember the event! Ha!

puddle said...

Nancy picked up my mail today and guess what? Yeppers! Marvelous gift of love from Brande and Shirlee! Wendell Berry, Fidelity; Look and See, disk, about Wendell Berry; Farewell by Horton Foote (who wrote The Trip to Bountiful--which is where my mother lived); and, The Bookman's Tale, Charlie Lovett. Glorious and wonderful. And thank you! Today was *exactly* the day I needed this.

What was NOT in my mail was my request to request an absentee ballot. Damn.

puddle said...

listener, my mom went into labor at 7:30 a.m., I was born at 8:03--when they were prepping her, doc walked by, and said, Get her to the delivery room, that baby's CROWNING. So I grew up thinking I'd have a right easy/fast time. I was in labor for about 22 hours.

listener said...

Well, puddle, my Mom and both sisters had super easy, fast labors. 1-2 hours start to finish. Mine went more like this:

1.) Gestational Diabetes and an 8 hour induced (forced) labor. 8lb, 1 1/2 oz baby.

2.) 18 hour labor, baby posterior (back labor) until just before delivery when she turned. Leboyer bath. 6lb, 5oz baby.

3.) 1 hour, 17 min labor AFTER having gone in and out of (real) labor three times. 5 cm and holding for over a week. 10lb, 2oz baby born at home...stuck shoulders, resolved.

4.) 14 days overdue, at 5cm for nearly the whole two weeks. Water leaked and resealed, fever, mismanaged induced 8-9 hour labor with continuous triple-peaked contractions. (9lb baby, coated in vernix!, with huge placenta.)

5.) 3 hour labor that began at 6cm, and culminated in 10lb, 1oz baby born gently at home. Ahhhhh.

listener said...

Hurrah for the Shirlee books coming TODAY!!!

C'mon absentee ballot!! When does it have to be turned in by? In Vermont it just has to arrive by Election Day. People can even hand carry it to the polls and give it back if they prefer to vote in person after all.

listener said...

Pat, the Cruelty is the point.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/the-cruelty-is-the-point/572104/?utm_medium=social&utm_term=2018-10-03T20%3A43%3A10&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_source=facebook

I once had a conversation with my friend, author and psychiatrist Jerry May, in which he told me about his work, years before, with prisoners who had murdered people. At the time I said it seemed to me a person who could take a life lacked the capacity for empathy and intimacy. Jerry assured me that most of them found the act of murder very intimate indeed. I could never wrap my mind around that until I read this article.

THIS is what we are dealing with in our nation right now.

puddle said...

Has to be *postmarked* no later than election day.

puddle said...

Kiddle just departed after a whirlwind 24 hour visit. Did I mention that I adore this kid? Do. Oh, and I now have an LED, battery powered lamp for electric outages. Birthday present.

listener said...

GOOD KID!!!

And what a useful gift!!!!

More and more, I love that man cub of yours, puddle. He's your Brenda Jane.

listener said...

Dear Friends, if your heart could use an antidote to all the negative human experience we have witnessed recently, I recommend the book The Scent of Water by Elizabeth Goudge. It is set in England in the years after WWII. The protagonist lived in London through the Blitz. She is a woman of the best sort of sensitivity toward others, and a person of faith deeper than she realises.
The author’s utter respect for the dignity of every person, the deep appreciation for beauty, and all offered with superb writing skill, is proving to be exactly what I needed this week to remind my soul of what we can be, and how very much we are not alone. The gorgeous garden descriptions alone make me know I will want to read this again come January. It is a contemplative read. There is much in just a few pages, so one may sip it very slowly as life allows.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/673799.The_Scent_of_Water

listener said...

I went to VT*Grand's soccer game tonight. In 5th grade now, she's a less timid player this year. I even got a photo of her making a kick. To be honest, I despise team sports. There is so much pressure on kids and somebody always has to feel badly about a game's outcome. But her team is actually undefeated this year.

On Sunday, we will go to see VT*Grandson's soccer game. That will consist of a batch of 5 year olds trying to kick a ball. I've never seen children that young play soccer, and wonder how it will seem.

I just want to cuddle them.

Pat said...

Hi Listener, Thank you for the book recommendation. I will put it on my list.
As for team sports, like you, I have little interest in them, but I do think many children enjoy them and learn the skills of working as a team. They can also be a focus for family. My son and daughter-in-law have supported hockey for their girls. Now the oldest is on the University of Colorado hockey team. She had many schools to choose from and chose her home state, and it's a source of enthusiasm and pride for the whole family.

Snowing here and cold. I can barely watch TV news anymore. I truly am revolted by Trump and his cohorts, and his words are more vile as he speaks. How How How did we get so far off our values of civility, integrity, honesty, fairness? I have hope, and I do hope with all my heart that we as a nation share values of responsibility, inclusion, participation, and honesty.

Now, the day begins.

Thankful said...

Agreed that the current state we're in is horrific. I sadly believe it's going to get way worse before it may get better. Hopefully, I'm very wrong.

Love the childbirth stories!

1) walked into ER(10:30pm, reg. desk not open), up to OB, was 10cm! She was face up so I instinctively got on hands and knees (wish doc had suggested that.) She flipped and was born at 12:27am. 8lb 10oz

2) left house about 6:45am and drove to a hospital in the city cuz they allowed midwives. 45 minutes later he was born. Home by 1:15pm. An hour and a half was driving. 8lb 10oz

3) went to hospital as soon as there was the slightest indication of regular labor, about 7am. I never got pains, just a tightening feeling; nurses were amazed. This time only 4cm. Walked around the block for a couple hours with occasional checks. He finally flew out after two pushes at 1:45pm. 8lb 7.5oz

Thx for the book recommendation - will put on list.

Team sports. My limited experience is they can range from very good to very bad in the pressure kind of way. So much depends on the coaches and parents, mostly parents. Community expectation probably play a role in some cases. Kid 3's HS boy's swim team was awesome. Girl's team was vicious. Same wonderful coach, but after she started a swim club at the HS. the parents w/ kids in the local 'prestigious' club were furious. That's when the girls' meets got ugly. While there were a couple families w/ kids on both teams, we boys' parents cheered another teams swimmer when they did really well; girls' parents would boo kids on their own team that had moved to the new club, no matter how they performed.
This situation even got into law suits. Ugh.
Getting too wordy - sorry :)

Puddle, fingers crossed for your form to arrive soon.


listener said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
listener said...

Let me try that again...

What great stories of birth, Thankful! Good for you getting on hands and knees by instinct! Doctors still weren't suggesting hands and knees to Mom in the 80's. It's only recently that they have come around to singing the praises of the "Gaskin Maneuver" as it is known (hippy midwife Ina May Gaskin learned it from midwives in Central America!). She is the one who lectured around the world and educated the doctors.

Amazing to have two babies the same exact same weight, and the other so near to that weight as well. Mine were all over the map: 8lbs, 1 1/2oz; 6lbs, 5oz; 10lbs, 2oz (shoulders); 9lbs even, 10lbs, 1 oz (large head). My Mom told me that on the day I was born she had an OB appt across the street from the hospital, at which they determined that she was in labor (like you, just the tightening, but without pain). They told her to go straight over to the hospital. Next door to the doctor's office was coffee shop, so she stopped there for coffee first! Ha! She checked in at the hospital at 10am and I was bor ten minutes late, at 10:10am (on 10 Sept 1955) weighing 5lbs, 5oz.

listener said...

It feels so iIronic to have spent two hot, humid days outside shoveling dirt and landscaping to make space for placement of our upcoming heat pump condenser. Ha!

During a necessary cool-down break, I watched the Weather Channel to catch up on Hurricane Michael. What a storm!!

It was still strengthening as it made landfall:
Pressure 919mb!! 3rd lowest of any storm to hit the US.
155mph highest-end Cat 4 (in October!)
(Cat 5 begins at 157mph) Gusts to 173mph

There were birds in the eye of the hurricane.
For reference, Wilma holds the record with a pressure of 882. Cat 5 Katrina’s sustained winds hit 185mph, but it's pressure only got down to 922mb.

This one was monster enough! It is the worst storm (first Cat 4) ever to hit the Florida Panhandle. And this storm never cycled or weakened, it just kept getting stronger, even when it met the coastline. Storms are definitely different than they used to be.

Thankful said...

Wow, listener, 10 minutes later! LOL - glad your mom got her cuppa in :) Oops, not that it's important, Miss A was 8lb 8oz. My typo. But yeah, they were all very close. Cool info about Gaskin. I just changed position cuz I was not comfy. Doc was disturbed when I did it, but cool when it worked. This and having walked in 10cm, debating w/ him about episiotomy while pushing... Not literally, but in essence, nurses said later that they'd never seen him show as much respect to a woman giving birth. Guess I freaked him out. :D

Too funny! Spell-checking didn't recognize episiotomy!

Puddle, don't ya just love when studies show what we know?

Thinking of Michael's victims and that the additional downpours don't do too much more to Carolinas. Looks like you'll get some of this rain, too, puddle.

listener said...

Thankful! Rock on!!
“We be of one blood, thou and I!”

With our 4th child I had a mismanaged labour: oral AND IV pitocin ganging up on me together led to unrelenting triple-peaked contractions during the nurses’ shift change (and no meds). So then we’re in delivery I’m hemorrhaging from the rough labour, when the nurse, holding my baby on one arm and a medicine dropper in hand, says, “I’m about to put Silva Nitrate drops into the baby’s eyes,” At which I say, “No you’re not! State law now allows Erythromycin Ophthalmic Ointment, which won’t burn or make his eyes swollen and red.” [And, truth be told, since I did not have a venereal disease, wasn’t even really needed!] The doctor backed me up, as I’d already given him a copy of the law. She protested, “I don’t think we have any in the hospital pharmacy.” At which, having already checked, I informed, “Our pharmacy has it. My husband will get it to use before we leave the hospital.” She put down the medicine dropper.
It took us until three hours after birth to get discharged that day because Bill had to fetch the useless medicine first. But we won and the baby didn’t suffer.

I guess we’ve been ready to stand up to the GOP for a long time, eh?! πŸ˜‰

listener said...

via blogger Liane Allen...
ALERT: The Trump administration has a plan to drastically curtail protests in DC, shutting down space in front of White House, charging massive fees, & banning stages & sound systems for rapid-response demonstrations. Deadline for comments? Monday, Oct 15.

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=NPS-2018-0007-0001

listener said...

On Thursday, I had my annual eye exam, then picked up 7 bags of river rock, weed cloth, and good gloves, then on to get some pound-in edging, compost bags, new composted filter, and a fairy chime for good measure, then stopped two places for groceries. Got home, unloaded all to garage or kitchen and slowly put away the many items I’d brought into the house. Imagine my surprise, nay: shock!, to discover that the single-serving glass soda bottle I’d just carried in from the car, which I had reused for water a few days ago but left in the car drink holder opened, contained both water and a sadly drowned mouse!! !!! Amazing that the sizeable mouse got into the bottle in the first place. But I had clearly been driving all over town all day with it in the drink holder! (No doubt a product of wearing sunglasses everywhere despite the rain because of my dilated eyes.) I tell you, I sat right down and thought long and hard about whether by chance I had mindlessly sipped any of it while driving! But I am sure I did not. =Whew!= Rather, I sipped my fresh, homemade iced coffee, and later bought a small bottle of cold water, as I was hot from lugging the bags of stones in the rain.
I was feeling so sad for the mouse until I recalled that the varmint had somehow gotten INTO my car!

listener said...

composted = composter

puddle said...

Hi, listener, imagine meeting you here.

Lol! Thankful.

whitznd said...

Hi all! What a pleasant surprise seeing Thankful here. In my cleaning things out frenzy, I came across a folder marked "Thankful's Stuff". Sat down and went through it all. ah... memories.

Hope all is well with everyone after the aftermath of Michael. The great PNW varies between cold and bright and cold and overcast. Had to finally turn on the heat. Big plaid flannel shirts not enough sometimes.

The political climate is so distressing. Kanye - WHAT???? OMG. Sometimes we can take joy in the responses of some of the more articulate left wing folks. Michael Eric Dyson on the Ari Melber show was a stunner. WOW! If one of you lovely ladies could make this clickable that would be wonderful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2uTORFcLoI

Much love to all of you.

whitznd said...

if you could leave directions on how to make a link clickable i'll be forever in your debt.

puddle said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2uTORFcLoI

puddle said...

< a href=*>*< /a>
Remove the first space between the bracket and the a; and the second space between the bracket and the slash; replace both * with the link. The second * can be words instead of the link.

listener said...

Here's some foliage for those who cannot get to Vermont this week...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10157614597716754&type=1&l=d508e5eb87

listener said...

I'm just catching that there was a post from puddle and signed by Thankful. Is Thankful visiting in WVA???

We should all go to puddle's for a party!!!


Pat, how are you? Did you get thumped with snow?

A family member from Longmont, Colorado recently went to WA State when her Dad had surgery. It was a successful surgery, but he died a few hours later of septic shock. 😒 So she was in WA for several weeks, with her four siblings arriving from all over the place, and after the services and she went home, she found a heap of snow waiting for her!

Just a side note that this dear man who died was a true Good Samaritan. Did I already tell you about him? After his wife died suddenly, years ago, he became a Deacon in the Roman Catholic Church. He was such a real and good man that, as a member of the Society of St. Vincent, he volunteered to help people in need. The mission of the Society is to help homeless and destitute people become self sustaining. Recently he even had a homeless family of 8 living with him! I am eager to spend time with his NH daughter, and hear more about his deeds. Such a humble man, and so incredibly tall! He was close to 7 ft tall and his wife was not quite 5 ft tall. Yet they were equals. Their 5 children are Salt of the Earth folks, too. ♡

listener said...

I wrote whumped with snow and autoINcorrect wrote thumped with snow. But that works too. Ha!

puddle said...

Na. That lol! Thankful, was me laughing with her at her comment on science proving what we know. . . .

I wish she were here, but she sez her traveling days is done, alas. Truth is, she's done more than her fair share of traveling. So.

listener said...

Ah, I see.

Has Pat been on Facebook the last few days? I’m wondering if her power is out.

Pat said...

Hi Listener and Puddle, Yes, we did get thumped, whumped, about 8 inches of heavy snow, but it's melting fast. I spent an hour and a half yesterday sweeping the snow off the cars and the deck. I haven't been on the blog lately, just tired a lot. I wake up at 2 AM, go downstairs, feed the dog and cat, listen to the BBC and maybe a half hour of NPR, then back to bed for some reading and snoozing. My times are really crazy, but okay. I think that will change as we go. With winter coming on, I need to do various things, have the gas furnaces cleaned, the water solar heater checked, the oil changed on the car, etc., co my energy has gone that way.

I'm glad you're here and thank you for thinking of me. My love to you.

Pat said...

co should be so. Ah, my fingers find their own way on the keys. I was glad to hear from Thankful here as well.

listener said...

That all makes sense, Pat. We are in the pre-season of Preparation for Winter. And there you are, having to tend it all solo.

Take all the time you need (just let us know so we won't call Sheriff Chuck's counterpart in Colorado). πŸ˜†

I find that if I check the news in the middle of the night I have a hard time getting back to sleep. Take care. πŸ’›

listener said...

THIS is Vermont.
And it could be the whole nation.

Political rivals stun voters by playing a duet together at the end of their debate.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lucy-rogers-vermont-political-rivals-stun-voters-with-unexpected-duet-zac-mayo/?fbclid=IwAR1mCF0OTFGRdxDaFqvjtuhhgMrMyXsUdIdeCSPCDAVPAjxW_WY__y_l4Y8

Pat said...

Hi Listener, Puddle, Barb, Thankful, and Brenda Jane,
A beautiful day here, also one of errands: oil change, tire rotation for the car, recycle center, shopping for food, then a hike with the mountain women. Tomorrow I mail my ballot, Hope and prayers for integrity, common sense, for rejecting the craziness we've endured.

Love to you all.

listener said...

I LoveπŸ’š Vermont!

Vermont hits record 92.5 percent voter registration ahead of election
https://vtdigger.org/2018/10/16/vermont-hits-record-92-5-percent-voter-registration-ahead-election/?fbclid=IwAR2LXacCZrjYOa_y06CfoAy_6WIxohpXZB_1K_vqJVXsd8ymHqziTXfXUck

Remember that in Vermont people can register right up through Election Day!

listener said...

On Monday, my Mini Cooper got its snow sneakers on and a spiffy oil change into the bargain.

Welcome SNOW!! ❄️ We are promised only about a week of cold weather before above average temps dominate for November, though. So I'll enjoy any snow we get this week, while we have it. I'll probably plant Spring bulbs after that. Ha!

puddle said...

This is horrific.

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2018/10/an-army-of-mothers-and-their-babies.html

listener said...

And hallo to JO who is often conspicuous by her absence. ♥

listener said...

Has everybody been following the day's news? YIKES!!

As I prepared to leave to go pick up little VT granddaughter, CNN was on air reporting that explosive devices were intercepted by the Secret Service, addressed to the Clintons and the Obamas. And while they were on air reporting that, their fire alarm went off because they had found a possible pipe bomb in their mail room. They are now broadcasting from outside their building. Crazy times! THEN we learned that more pipe bombs had been sent and all of them (including to Soros earlier this week) were sent to people whom DT rails against at his rallies.

So while I'm glad the President and his Press Secretary said many of the right things today, I cannot believe a word of it until I hear what he says at his rally tonight and at future events. I'd also like to hear him actually use the names of those wo were targeted..you know, as if they might actually be human beings and American citizens and public servants.

I'm guessing the perpetrators were not liberal Democrats.

listener said...

"The media also has a responsibility to set a civil tone." ~ DT

Gee, his call for unity didn't last long, did it?

listener said...

Whomever sent the devices cannot spell.

Schultz was spelled Shultz

Brennan was spelled Brenan

Florida was spelled Florids

listener said...

Usually I cannot listen to Chris Cuomo on CNN, as to me he comes across as sensationalist. Not so this evening. His remarks on "Prime Time" at 9pm about this evening's DT Rally in WI were meaningful and worth a listen.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/10/25/suspicious-packages-leaders-trump-closing-argument-sot-vpx-ctn.cnn

puddle said...

What happened to my post and link?

listener said...

Are we losing posts, puddle?

Thankful said...

So, bottom of the 18th, Dodgers win game 3 of WS. 2-1, Boston. Personally, don't root for either team, but would rather have Boston win over LA.

:waving: to whitznd and Pat, et.al.

The mailed bombs make one's head spin. Where we are is scary.

:), yep, puddle, traveling days are done. Have same car you last saw and it's not very reliable these days. I so miss the travelling, yet it's just not in the cards.

Having a pretty nice fall here. Just started a pot of potato soup...

listener said...

This!

Author Jay Panini teaches in Vermont at Middlebury College

“I often think of George Washington's beautiful letter to the Jews of Rhode Island. He wrote the letter on August 18, 1790, after a visit to the Newport congregation, which had fled persecution in Europe. He assured them they would find ‘toleration’ on these shores, liberty for people of all faiths. Religious freedom here was an absolute, he wrote, and all creeds were welcome. He quoted from the Hebrew scriptures, saying that ‘everyone shall sit in safety under his own vine and fig tree, and there shall be none to make him afraid.’”

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/10/27/opinions/americans-wake-up-please-parini/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F>https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/10/27/opinions/americans-wake-up-please-parini/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F

listener said...

✨πŸ’–✨ Thankful! ✨πŸ’–✨

Yes, crazy times. 😳

We need to elect a Congress with backbone.

9 days and counting!

puddle said...

Well the bombs and the synagogue shooting have der turnip's rating down by four points, so even the trumpets listen sometimes. Bodes well for elections, if not for individuals amongst us. Doing ma best to avoid a stroke this week. . . .

listener said...

A gorgeous photo of Zephyr's brand new baby boy, and the details, is at the very bottom of today's main post at Howard Empowered. Scroll down through the pumpkins to get to the Pumpkin. :-) Definitely worth coming by for! Stop in and say hallo, if you like, while you're there.

Get ready to melt!
http://howardempowered.blogspot.com

puddle said...

This:
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-cult-of-trump-2/?fbclid=IwAR0LPWuPWR8A6oLLnm_KsxkxvLxWy-tHW87Nvko3TxlXfS7InqZ91ssGtiw

Pat said...

Hi Friends,
Yesterday 70 degrees, today, 3 inches of snow and in the 30s. More tonight.

Yes, the sadness of hatred and violence. We need to hold Trump and like minded folks accountable for inciting hatred. The latest a promise to take away citizenship for those born in the U.S. of noncitizens. My friend from high school read me the definition of citizenship: to be born in the United States and to be the children of citizens born anywhere else. She also suggested the news media ignore Trump altogether. That would really upset him

Good to be here with you.

Pat said...

Good article, Puddle. Thank you, Listener, but I couldn't pull up the photos.

listener said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
listener said...

This week I heard [on NPR’s Fresh Air https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/2018/10/29/661662001?showDate=2018-10-29 ] that there are people in our country who fear minorities (especially Jews) because they fear that their land and their jobs will be slowly taken by others. Jews are apparently especially scary because they have worked so hard and done so very well. What makes them think the land and jobs are rightfully only theirs is the mystery.

Or is it? Isn’t it what they have been taught? They have been taught to fear the stranger, and taught that only people like themselves have worth. It seems to me a massive inferiority complex passed on generation to generation. What’s more, there are people who grow up and buck those teachings, and others who cannot. Bill says it depends on who gets the good judgment gene. He may have a point. What if it has something to do with the size of a person’s amygdala, thus how much compassion they are actually capable of? That is likely too simplistic, but it offers an idea, a reason to begin to “welcome the stranger” who simply isn’t capable of comprehending compassion. (However, that doesn’t mean giving the “stranger” the keys to the city or the keys to the safe or any leeway at all to be cruel. There should be no tolerance at all for white supremacy. In fact, keeping them from harming others may assist their salvation, in the long run.) It shows a great need for education (over time) through actually meeting some wonderful people who turn out to not be so scary after all.

I was in shock on the weekend, I think. (Breathless...Speechless...) It took me until Monday for the tears to come. What wisdom the Pittsburgh community showed in not meeting DT’s plane, not making way for him. Whenever a President comes to a town it messes up traffic and makes headaches for the locals. How much worse for him to do that in the midst of the funerals. He did so because he didn’t want to inconvenience himself and miss rallies to be there. Even worse, far worse, that he’s been talking out both sides of his mouth, going to the rallies and spewing hatred, even now. He is incapable of compassion.

So here we are 6 days to the Election. I dare to hope.

listener said...

puddle, I just sent you two photos, to use as you like. The first is Zephyr's baby boy!!

Pat, do you mean the howardempowered link or another?

listener said...

Pat, check your FB Messages to see the photo of Zephyr's baby boy! ♡

listener said...

Bill and I had the same thought tonight, Pat. Ignore DT altogether for a time.
Of course, he'd just do something more outlandish to get attention back on himself.

listener said...

Pat, I see you had 70's then 30's. Wow. Is that normal for this time of year, or is it the planet in pain?

Pat said...

Hi Listener,
I saw Zephr's baby photo on my message format in Facebook. Puddle sent it. Thank you. I agree with your analysis of fear of the stranger. I also think maybe the amygdala plays a part. What's evident is the power of fear. I've read that it is our strongest emotion, and Trump knows that as Hitler did (I read that Hitler admitted he used fear to control people). We have to understand what we are feeling and doing, and the media can help us with that if they talk about the power of fear and the (maybe) innate tendency to distrust strangers, to label and categorize them. We are a global world and Trump and other demagogues will continue to deny it and manipulate people to our detriment. Thank you for reporting on how leaders in Pennsylvania responded to Trump's visit. We go on, hoping, listening, participating.

listener said...

✨πŸ’›ShirleeπŸ’›✨

I have just been to an All Saints service at which I spoke the name Shirlee Ann Murphy among those saints who have gone before us in the past year.

Pat said...

Yes, thank you, Listener. My heart is warmed. Bless her and you and all of us.

listener said...

FOUR
O
U
R . . 4

And Counting!!!!

πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€

listener said...

πŸ’¦ 3️⃣
Three!
☘️☘️☘️

listener said...

Well now, how about this?

Supreme Court Won’t Block Climate Lawsuit
https://politicalwire.com/2018/11/03/supreme-court-wont-block-young-peoples-climate-lawsuit/

puddle said...

New thread!