Oh those Scientists. And my kid is one of them. Here's what he recently wrote in response to someone expressing concern that the Caravan might include some unsavory types.
"There may be some violent people mixed in. Human nature being what it is there would likely be in any group of 100,000 people. Just check out Boston on any Friday night. But as I stated, there is a process for vetting applicants. Will some get through who shouldn't? Probably. But we will also be helping thousands of families in desperate need. I don't buy into this culture of cowardice and cruelty that is promoted by the president and his followers. Maybe these people are trying to come to the US because we are constantly saying it's the greatest country in the world. Cowering behind walls and troops doesn't seem all that great. Being strong enough to lift up people in need seems a little greater."
ALLY UPDATE! NOTE: Ally will turn 12 in late January
Ally’s Mom writes:
We made another trip to NYC this past week. Medically Ally had a "light" schedule. We had a blood draw in the morning, and then a meeting with her long term follow up care doctor. This doctor is pleased with Ally's growth and weight gain. She follows her own growing curve, but she is still making progress on it. In the afternoon we walked to another building and Ally completed her neurological testing. The doctor that completed this testing was very impressed with Ally. There was one test, in particular, that he made sure to mention to us, that he couldn't remember any other kid scoring so highly on. We will have a phone conference with him at some point in the future to go over test results. On our walk back from that appointment her long term follow up care doctor called us. One of her hormone levels is elevated, indicating that her ovaries are damaged. They want us back in February to do more testing and see if we need to start some medication that will "trick" her body into thinking it is going through puberty. We knew this was coming, and this latest blood test tells us it is time to start dealing with it. We managed to get the appointment for February vacation, and are hoping to add some fun things to that trip. On a fun note we got to see the world premier of the new Grinch movie, and meet Benedict Cumberbatch (the voice of the Grinch, aka Dr. Strange, aka Sherlock (from the PBS show)). It was AWESOME!!! He was so nice. We also got to see the Broadway show, School of Rock. Ally LOVED it! It was a great experience. Thanks for sticking with us all of these years!
I know today Shirlee is kicking around and making sure all of her friends and family have voted. She will haunt those that haven’t!! Wishing you all the best with your local elections and hoping with all my might that the Blue Wave covers us all! I’ll check back in later tonight.
I'm not actually unhappy. We got the blue wave. We didn't get a tsunami, but I wasn't really expecting one. What we got was a really good staging area for 2020, lots of new troops, and a pretty effective tourniquet.
SUCH a good result in the House!! I'm still sad about the Senate, but as Pat said, DT hasn't taken fully taken hold. And as puddle said, we have a tourniquet on things now.
And I saw a headline today that Mueller is writing his final analysis!!!!
Very thankful for the House win; the Governor and AG wins are equally important. We kept our Dem. Rep! Yay! This district has flip-flopped almost every election so it's significant that he was re-elected.
So glad for you Puddle, wonderful kid. So good to hear from Ally's Mom. You are in our hearts.
Yes, the election turned out well, a good beginning.
Seven inches of fluffy snow here, cold, in the teens, so I've been sweeping the deck and shoveling. Yes, winter's here.
It's difficult to watch the news. Way too much Trump and his egregious sayings and doings. Hopefully, as the Dems take over the house, we'll hear some positive actions and statements.
Ahhhh, so nice to pop by and see posts from puddle, Thankful and Pat!
I've been thinking about you, Pat. Bill and I spent the weekend cleaning out the garage so my Mini could have shelter in tomorrow's snow, plus a trip to NH to go to a really wonderful Dollhouse Store for lighting supplies and a wee Christmas tree, etc., for VT*Grand's dollhouse, and we got some supplies for the mid-Dec family Christmas gathering, and got the Christmas lights all up outside (though not yet turned on), got reflectors out so the plow guy knows where to be careful, plus we got some gifts started, and lots more. As we tucked the house in for Winter, and knowing puddle's Good Kid was doing the same there, I thought of how much work it can be; so I thought of you, having so much to do on your own. Have you had some good help? Pacing yourself okay? We felt all weekend that there was far more to do than we had time for, but we didn't take many breaks and got it done.
I mentioned the plow guy. Guess what! The neighbourhood association voted this week to go with another plow guy, who will cost twice as much but has promise of coming reliably and NOT skipping the area in front of the garages, NOT backing into folks' bushes and LIGHTED Christmas trees!!, and NOT driving across folks' lawns. HURRAH!!!!
And did you all hear that SINENA HAS WON THE SENATE SEAT IN ARIZONA, AND MCSALLY HAS CONCEDED!?!! This means the Senate count is now 48 - 51 with FL left to count. IF we get Florida, we will be at the SAME number in the Senate as before the election, and way ahead in the House. If FL goes to the Rs, then at worst we lost ONE Senate seat. Let that sink in.
ROFLMAO! Reflectors for the plow guy :) When we moved into new house in Feb '92, kid3 was not yet 4. Previous owners had plower, we were gonna shovel ourselves out.
Kid3 thought those reflector 'swords' were cool ... thus, 'Touche' right through my radiator!
One of many difficult parental moments when one can't smile but is busting one's guts ;D
...back to the news. Yay, AZ. Repeat, Yay, AZ! It's so demoralizing to hear that orange pustule's utterances. His dis on steroids of our beloved Veterans makes me nauseous. (must stop here or I'll say bad words.)
Needing another laugh?! Another best kid3 story is when he came home via front door- unusual, kids came in through side door...
Poor kid was near tears, no, near sobbing. I knelt down, hugged him, and naturally asked, what's wrong? He said his 'friends: had called him a lesbian! I started laughing, really laughing... Kid3 was undone... til I told him what ignoramuses his so-called friends were - that lesbians were girls with girls.
Thankful, it sure sounds like you showed your children how to really laugh though life, and gave them the gift of perspective. Awesome.
:-D Cannot help wondering what was deleted! LOL!
The best part is that we only got about 2" of snow. So no plowing needed. YET. Another storm is due Thurs-Fri and promises to bring more like 6" of snow. YEAH! (Hey, if you're going to have snow, might as well make it worthwhile!)
"His dis on steroids of our beloved Veterans makes me nauseous. (must stop here or I'll say bad words.)"
I hear you!! That and him blaming the California wildfires on Forestry and threatening to withhold federal aid while people are displaced or dead AND the cause of the fires is actually Global Warming!!!
What I'm liking for right now is that the gubmint's gone home. And when they come back, it'll be a new one. Won't have to watch Ryan's smarmy mug no mo! Yeah, will still have to do Yertle. But mebbe not so much.
LOL, 'twas not much... another story, but about kid2.
Fire comments were horrid. Glad he was smacked down on those so quickly.
Yes, thank the universe that Ryan will be gone soon. I think there's still some in session time left and that there's still potential for lame-duck shenanigans; hoping they restrain themselves (sigh.)
Only had a bit of snow here Friday. Likely a couple/three weeks til real snow hits us. Gotta step up the search for new boots :)
In an email from Nancy, today: Glad that trip is done. H'burg was a madhouse - especially Walmart. The aisles were teaming with people; and 'stockers' too, cause they were having a hard time keeping up with the emptying shelves. The milk and bread sections were a special little hell-wing of the main madhouse...'nuff said.
The frustration of Nancy the Valiant underscores for me that it's a good thing I've never shopped in a Walmart.
I wonder if part of the reason the shelves were going bare was the impending storm. Stay snug, puddle, as I see you make get some icing. Reason to sing the praises of your Good Kid again...!
So I'm hearing that Jeff Flake and others were pressing for a bill that would protect Mueller, but the Senate leadership wouldn't hear of it. So now those Senators and the Dems are considering tacking it onto the must-pass budget bill that keeps the gov't open. It will be an interesting Lame Duck session, that's for sure!
We got 2" of wet snow that quickly froze solid. It's 9F here right now, on the way down to 6F. Then on Friday I'm expecting another 4-8" of snow. It's so pretty.
Thanks for the update, Listener. I'm glad that the senators are starting to fight. We have a long way to go to repair the damage the orange haired buffoon has wrought. It does seem that he's getting backlash for his egregious behavior and talk. What a low point he's brought us to.
Thank you for asking about how winter maintenance is going. So far, okay. I'm learning as I go, and I'm trying to deal with anxiety. I pause and breathe and tell myself that of course, things go wrong, and they can be fixed. I pray for courage, calm, and patience. And so we go on. Love to you, dear friends.
Last night at 8:59pm, I got a text from Eldest*Grand's iPad. It was the message: "I have a surprise for you." Then "Do you want to hear about it now, or wait until you come?"
I said "Oh my! I would love to hear about it now (but is it too late for a conversation?)." "I will tell you now." Then she went on to tell me that she is getting her hair dyed blue today "just some streaks." THEN I discovered it was Younger*Sister*Grand telling me this with Eldest*Grand's iPad. So I had to ask her what her bedtime is these days. She said reading time at 8:30pm with lights out at 9:00pm. Heh. So I said I wouldn't want us to be banned from texting because it's after hours. Younger wanted so much to tell me more. She wanted to tell me all about the movie she watched with the princess with the blue-streaked hair. We left it that she'll tell me another time and we said goodnight. She kept talking a little more, but I did not respond. *That* was hard! I have so been on grandchild deprivation for three weeks that I could have gone into slumber party mode.
But! Today my DIL (the girls' Mama) messaged me and thanked me for how I handled it. !!! I was pretty sure that Mama checks the girls' messages. We had a nice conversation too. So that's a twofer! I'm so glad this happened now, as we'll be with them for Thanksgiving. 🙂
BTW, Eldest gets her blue streaks on Saturday. Bill and I will likely watch the related Disney movie, Descendants, so we'll be "conversant" when we see the girls. 😀
Thankful! Watch for a package. It was Jo's idear and I joined in. Should arrive Wednesday. The day before Thanksgiving seems the perfect day to give Thankful a gift! 💙🎁 ENJOY!!!
Yes, glad it's melting, puddle. I don't mind snow much, but icy is least fave. We had a touch of snow a week ago Friday; didn't stick much. Yesterday was the first measurable snow but only about an inch here. Some still on grass.
Will keep a watch out listener & Jo. Love the grand story!
Wow! A little package arrived a bit ago... Jo,and co-conspirator listener, what a treasure. Just Wow! (I sent an email to you, listener... please forward to Jo as I'm not sure the addie I have I'd current.)
Gotta share what arrived... a tee that says
KINDNESS IS FREE sprinkle THAT STUFF EVERYWHERE
soft poly, heather blue with white lettering; wish I could replicate the fonts - trust me, it's pretty awesome.
Mia Love lost in Utah, *by provisional ballots*! Depriving the republicans of the only black they have in the House. Which got me to thinking--if I gave a party and only white people showed up, if I went to church and only straight people showed up, and if I went to vote and everyone in my party was pretty much white and straight and male~~then I'd have to think I was not in the right place. Heck, my Meeting in Berkeley was about 20% Buddhists, lol!
Awww, I sent along to Jo your sweet message, with the account of the package's arrival, Thankful; and now we three are ALL thankful!!! 😘👍 We were even thanking each other! 🤗
So glad you love the tee Thankful. Every time I think of kindness, acts of love, I think of you and your reminding us that kindness is free. I spend a lot of time thinking of kindness these days, I spend a lot of time looking for good news. <3
Ahhh, yes, Jo. I concur. I keep thinking of Lucy Maud Montgomery (author of the Anne of Green Gables series), writing during WWI that "the dead are fighting with us." I would venture to say it appears they pulled some strings in high places. ;-)
Got an apple and a cherry pie baked today. :-)
Happy Thanksgiving, every one of you!!! &heartsl I'll check in as I am able.
Did everybody tune in to watch NASA's Mars InSight Robot land just now? VERY COOL!!! Talk about the ultimate Go Live event! What a joy to watch pandemonium break out in the Jet Propulsion Lab when their years of hard effort turned out to be perfectly successful!!
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow. I feel my fate in what I cannot fear. I learn by going where I have to go.
We think by feeling. What is there to know? I hear my being dance from ear to ear. I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
Of those so close beside me, which are you? God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there, And learn by going where I have to go.
Light takes the Tree; but who can tell us how? The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair; I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
Great Nature has another thing to do To you and me; so take the lively air, And, lovely, learn by going where to go.
This shaking keeps me steady. I should know. What falls away is always. And is near. I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow. I learn by going where I have to go.
I love this poem by Roethke. Good Morning. Cold here but some blue sky. It's good to hear your, Jo. Yes, kindness is free and essential. A smile here. Love to you all.
I was referring to when the new House is ... in order.
Laying low these last few days. Saturday night I had a scratchy throat. Sunday I got a low grade fever, body aches and swollen glands. The fever has been down for days, but the throat is still swollen and uncomfortable, I have a dry cough and occasionally cough up some interesting looking crud. After some research I have discovered that I have all the symptoms of acute bronchitis. I've never had it before, so it's been a learning curve. I cancelled all commitments for the week and we'll see how this trends. I sure hope it's a LOT better by next week as I have 6 guidance meetings, a hair appointment, two lunches with friends and a grandchild day planned!! Argh!!
I am sleeping a lot, eating well, drowning in fluids and taking expectorant and pain killer as needed. Rev up the prayers and send me some healing vibes! Thank you!! 💖
Prayers and concerns your way. Yes, rest, lots of liquids, breathing in steam froma cup of tea, whatever works. It is the cold and flu season. Yes, nasal mist, netty cups, whatever clears your sinuses and throat.
You give so much. We appreciate your kindness, love, and efforts.
Today, I took Winter the crabby cat in for thyroid surgery. He's lot half his weight. I will pick him up tomorrow. Yes, prayers for a kitty as well. a smile here.
My throat looks somewhat better today and I am breathing easier. It seems I have “got de turn.” ⛄️
* * *
Went out to measure the snow (my first time outside in days) and got a little carried away. I took photos of the Christmas trees, then I did a little shoveling. Shouldn't have. Exhausted now and my breathing took a little hit. Phooey. I just want to get back to doing stuff. Patience needed. 🎄
And the verdict is: It snowed all day, but allegedly we got only 1" more. So I suspect it compacted down a bit. I believe we got at least 2", so I'm claiming 14" so far. Still snowing. 🌨❄️
✨ A special blessing on Crabby Cat! 😼 Being ill myself this week I totally understand the crabby part!! I hope it's all good news tomorrow!!! ☀️
So, with Michael Cohen giving 70 hours of testimony to Mueller, and DT canceling his meeting with Putin, it seems we are very close to the end of the story. Hoping we can have our nation back on the right track before long!!!!
Julie Li A friend of mine asked me once if I thought cafe au lait was the answer to race relations in the US? Truth is, I'd never thought about it. On thinking, I told her, mebbe. She and I had been hired during an upgrade at the NASA library--they'd decided to hire only college grads. She was very dark, but peeps nonethless mixed us up because we were both new hires.
She told me that when she was younger, her husband died, leaving her with three small children and no income. It had been a hard time in her life and she doubted she'd have survived if not for the assistance of the neighborhood store owner who was very good to her and the kids. She ended up living with him, and they were planning on getting married, but she was afraid to tell her family because he was white. Would I be her maid of honor at their wedding? I told her I thought she should tell her family, but if she wasn't ready yet, then sure, I'd be glad to.
In the event, none of that was true. She'd was married and had three kids, but her husband hadn't died. The weeks long story was a test, and I'd passed. But it ruined the friendship.
I wondered then, and I wonder now if honesty and friendship is possible in this country between races? James Baldwin contended, and I believe him, that the oppressed know the oppressor infinitely better than the reverse. It's a matter of life and death for them.
Of course, there IS inequity of education between races. Affirmative action attempts to remedy that. Is it working? One can pray so.
As an aside, and make of it what you will--for years I was a doll maker. One of a kind, original, artist's dolls. Mostly Santas and antique looking Fathers Christmas. Early, I decided to make ethnic Santas/Gift Givers--made African and NOL father Christmases, Jewish gift givers, Italian Befanas, Russian Babushkas, even a Chinese Santa. Never sold one single black doll to an African American. They were all bought by white southerners. Most of the other ethnics went to collectors, except for the Hanukkah Harrys who pretty much went to mixed Jewish/Christian homes.
RIP Richard Stuart clergy person, psychologist, spiritual guide, NH State Representative, friend [whom I met when I was 15 and rediscovered when my children were half grown], peer, mentor, bright light, compassionate soul. Dick truly lived until he died. On November 21st, he was at the US-Mexico border protesting in support of migrants. He and his dear wife Ruth then flew to DC for Thanksgiving with their daughter; but on the eve of Thanksgiving, when Dick got a pain in his back that he was experiencing checked out, he ended up having unexpected bypass surgery at Johns Hopkins. He was in good spirits after surgery, too. Then silence for a week and this news. I am stunned and heartbroken and moved and will always have a hole in my life. So many vital memories. So much to mull. ✨
Hi Listener and Puddle. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, Listener. I don't think there's anything harder than losing those we love, have learned from, who have been an essential part of our life. I think memory of those we love is part of what we know as eternity.
Puddle, what a creative soul you are and what variety of experiences you've had in your life. It's sad when there's so much skepticism and cynicism that artifice becomes a test of friendship. I'm sure that your loyalty and integrity might have helped your friend as she continued on.
Cold here, but not much snow. Winter the crabby cat seems to be doing well. He sleeps a lot, eats some, and sits on my lap several times a day, He had a large tumor on his thyroid, so they operated on him, removing it. He's seventeen years old, white hair, pink ears, pink nose, blue eyes that look into my eyes. I think he's very intelligent. Thank you for asking. I pray he'll recover.
✨🕯✨ Lo! It's Advent! ✨🕯✨ Instead of attending Anima's farewell concert last evening, or participating in a church service today, or getting a Christmas tree or digging out decorations, I am still at home, sick and laying low. But Advent came anyway. 💜 And I am grateful. So, I am playing Anima and Loreena McKennitt music and hoping for an afternoon thunderstorm. Remember to open your Advent calendars!
Winter Cat is 84 in human years. I hope he recovers well, too. At very least he will be healing instead of being more and more ill, and he will know he was well cared for and loved.
I agree that there is a real chance that puddle's response to the woman who mistrusted will have had a lasting effect. And puddle, your bearing of that ache of broken trust (or trust that wasn't given at the first) is part of mending the cloth of humanity.
And, hmmm, writing that just answered one of my deepest struggles in life..! I bear the ache of broken trust in a former guidance relationship. Until I wrote that, I hadn't fully seen the bearing of it as a means of the mending of something even larger than what was broken. This helps more than I can express.
74 comments:
https://www.nrdc.org/experts/david-b-goldstein/radical-optimism-climate-ipcc-report-15-degrees?
Andrew C. White
Final Cook House ratings.
There are 3 Democratic seats that are toss-up or worse. There are 47 Republican seats toss-up or worse.
If every Lean/Likely/Solid race were to break as expected, Dems would need to win just 8 of 30 Toss Ups (27%) to win the majority.
By contrast, Republicans would need to win 23 of 30 Toss Ups (77%) to keep theirs. Not impossible, but difficult.
Oh those Scientists. And my kid is one of them. Here's what he recently wrote in response to someone expressing concern that the Caravan might include some unsavory types.
"There may be some violent people mixed in. Human nature being what it is there would likely be in any group of 100,000 people. Just check out Boston on any Friday night. But as I stated, there is a process for vetting applicants. Will some get through who shouldn't? Probably. But we will also be helping thousands of families in desperate need. I don't buy into this culture of cowardice and cruelty that is promoted by the president and his followers. Maybe these people are trying to come to the US because we are constantly saying it's the greatest country in the world. Cowering behind walls and troops doesn't seem all that great. Being strong enough to lift up people in need seems a little greater."
ALLY UPDATE!
NOTE: Ally will turn 12 in late January
Ally’s Mom writes:
We made another trip to NYC this past week. Medically Ally had a "light" schedule. We had a blood draw in the morning, and then a meeting with her long term follow up care doctor. This doctor is pleased with Ally's growth and weight gain. She follows her own growing curve, but she is still making progress on it. In the afternoon we walked to another building and Ally completed her neurological testing. The doctor that completed this testing was very impressed with Ally. There was one test, in particular, that he made sure to mention to us, that he couldn't remember any other kid scoring so highly on. We will have a phone conference with him at some point in the future to go over test results. On our walk back from that appointment her long term follow up care doctor called us. One of her hormone levels is elevated, indicating that her ovaries are damaged. They want us back in February to do more testing and see if we need to start some medication that will "trick" her body into thinking it is going through puberty. We knew this was coming, and this latest blood test tells us it is time to start dealing with it. We managed to get the appointment for February vacation, and are hoping to add some fun things to that trip.
On a fun note we got to see the world premier of the new Grinch movie, and meet Benedict Cumberbatch (the voice of the Grinch, aka Dr. Strange, aka Sherlock (from the PBS show)). It was AWESOME!!! He was so nice. We also got to see the Broadway show, School of Rock. Ally LOVED it! It was a great experience.
Thanks for sticking with us all of these years!
It’s finally the day!!
🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊
Hello Ladies!
I know today Shirlee is kicking around and making sure all of her friends and family have voted. She will haunt those that haven’t!! Wishing you all the best with your local elections and hoping with all my might that the Blue Wave covers us all! I’ll check back in later tonight.
Love and good wishes,
Brenda
Hi Brenda!
Thanks for the update, listener.
I'm not actually unhappy. We got the blue wave. We didn't get a tsunami, but I wasn't really expecting one. What we got was a really good staging area for 2020, lots of new troops, and a pretty effective tourniquet.
Yes, Yes, Yes, a good start. The demagoguery of Trump hasn't taken over totally.
Thanks, friends for the updates and comments.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-democrats-took-the-house-on-election-night
Hi Brenda Jane! Hallo all!
SUCH a good result in the House!! I'm still sad about the Senate, but as Pat said, DT hasn't taken fully taken hold. And as puddle said, we have a tourniquet on things now.
And I saw a headline today that Mueller is writing his final analysis!!!!
I love the thought of Shirlee stirring things up. Good to have a friend in high places. ;-)
Main line repaired. Repair guy assures me it should hold for a while. Pray it does.
YAY!!!! 🙏🙏🙏
Kiddle's here, buttoning me up for winter. Can feel the difference already. Blessed boy he is.
Good Kid! ~ for whom we are all most grateful!!! 💛👍🏻
:) buttoned up for winter. What a good kid!
Very thankful for the House win; the Governor and AG wins are equally important. We kept our Dem. Rep! Yay! This district has flip-flopped almost every election so it's significant that he was re-elected.
Thx for the Ally update.
Hi Friends,
So glad for you Puddle, wonderful kid. So good to hear from Ally's Mom. You are in our hearts.
Yes, the election turned out well, a good beginning.
Seven inches of fluffy snow here, cold, in the teens, so I've been sweeping the deck and shoveling. Yes, winter's here.
It's difficult to watch the news. Way too much Trump and his egregious sayings and doings. Hopefully, as the Dems take over the house, we'll hear some positive actions and statements.
Love to you all.
Ahhhh, so nice to pop by and see posts from puddle, Thankful and Pat!
I've been thinking about you, Pat. Bill and I spent the weekend cleaning out the garage so my Mini could have shelter in tomorrow's snow, plus a trip to NH to go to a really wonderful Dollhouse Store for lighting supplies and a wee Christmas tree, etc., for VT*Grand's dollhouse, and we got some supplies for the mid-Dec family Christmas gathering, and got the Christmas lights all up outside (though not yet turned on), got reflectors out so the plow guy knows where to be careful, plus we got some gifts started, and lots more. As we tucked the house in for Winter, and knowing puddle's Good Kid was doing the same there, I thought of how much work it can be; so I thought of you, having so much to do on your own. Have you had some good help? Pacing yourself okay? We felt all weekend that there was far more to do than we had time for, but we didn't take many breaks and got it done.
I mentioned the plow guy. Guess what! The neighbourhood association voted this week to go with another plow guy, who will cost twice as much but has promise of coming reliably and NOT skipping the area in front of the garages, NOT backing into folks' bushes and LIGHTED Christmas trees!!, and NOT driving across folks' lawns. HURRAH!!!!
And did you all hear that SINENA HAS WON THE SENATE SEAT IN ARIZONA, AND MCSALLY HAS CONCEDED!?!!
This means the Senate count is now 48 - 51 with FL left to count. IF we get Florida, we will be at the SAME number in the Senate as before the election, and way ahead in the House. If FL goes to the Rs, then at worst we lost ONE Senate seat. Let that sink in.
ROFLMAO! Reflectors for the plow guy :) When we moved into new house in Feb '92, kid3 was not yet 4. Previous owners had plower, we were gonna shovel ourselves out.
Kid3 thought those reflector 'swords' were cool ... thus, 'Touche' right through my radiator!
One of many difficult parental moments when one can't smile but is busting one's guts ;D
...back to the news. Yay, AZ. Repeat, Yay, AZ! It's so demoralizing to hear that orange pustule's utterances. His dis on steroids of our beloved Veterans makes me nauseous. (must stop here or I'll say bad words.)
Needing another laugh?! Another best kid3 story is when he came home via front door- unusual, kids came in through side door...
Poor kid was near tears, no, near sobbing. I knelt down, hugged him, and naturally asked, what's wrong? He said his 'friends: had called him a lesbian! I started laughing, really laughing... Kid3 was undone... til I told him what ignoramuses his so-called friends were - that lesbians were girls with girls.
What an awesome moment...
YES YES YES YES X gazillion :D
Thankful, it sure sounds like you showed your children how to really laugh though life, and gave them the gift of perspective.
Awesome.
:-D Cannot help wondering what was deleted! LOL!
The best part is that we only got about 2" of snow. So no plowing needed.
YET. Another storm is due Thurs-Fri and promises to bring more like 6" of snow. YEAH!
(Hey, if you're going to have snow, might as well make it worthwhile!)
"His dis on steroids of our beloved Veterans makes me nauseous. (must stop here or I'll say bad words.)"
I hear you!! That and him blaming the California wildfires on Forestry and threatening to withhold federal aid while people are displaced or dead AND the cause of the fires is actually Global Warming!!!
What I'm liking for right now is that the gubmint's gone home. And when they come back, it'll be a new one. Won't have to watch Ryan's smarmy mug no mo! Yeah, will still have to do Yertle. But mebbe not so much.
www.washingtonpost.com/politics/five-days-of-fury-inside-trumps-paris-temper-election-woes-and-staff-upheaval/2018/11/13/e90b7cba-e69e-11e8-a939-9469f1166f9d_story.html
LOL, 'twas not much... another story, but about kid2.
Fire comments were horrid. Glad he was smacked down on those so quickly.
Yes, thank the universe that Ryan will be gone soon. I think there's still some in session time left and that there's still potential for lame-duck shenanigans; hoping they restrain themselves (sigh.)
Only had a bit of snow here Friday. Likely a couple/three weeks til real snow hits us. Gotta step up the search for new boots :)
In an email from Nancy, today:
Glad that trip is done. H'burg was a madhouse - especially Walmart. The aisles were teaming with people; and 'stockers' too, cause they were having a hard time keeping up with the emptying shelves. The milk and bread sections were a special little hell-wing of the main madhouse...'nuff said.
The frustration of Nancy the Valiant underscores for me that it's a good thing I've never shopped in a Walmart.
I wonder if part of the reason the shelves were going bare was the impending storm. Stay snug, puddle, as I see you make get some icing. Reason to sing the praises of your Good Kid again...!
So I'm hearing that Jeff Flake and others were pressing for a bill that would protect Mueller, but the Senate leadership wouldn't hear of it. So now those Senators and the Dems are considering tacking it onto the must-pass budget bill that keeps the gov't open. It will be an interesting Lame Duck session, that's for sure!
We got 2" of wet snow that quickly froze solid. It's 9F here right now, on the way down to 6F. Then on Friday I'm expecting another 4-8" of snow. It's so pretty.
Thanks for the update, Listener. I'm glad that the senators are starting to fight. We have a long way to go to repair the damage the orange haired buffoon has wrought. It does seem that he's getting backlash for his egregious behavior and talk. What a low point he's brought us to.
Thank you for asking about how winter maintenance is going. So far, okay. I'm learning as I go, and I'm trying to deal with anxiety. I pause and breathe and tell myself that of course, things go wrong, and they can be fixed. I pray for courage, calm, and patience. And so we go on. Love to you, dear friends.
Ohhh, I have to tell you this! 😀
Last night at 8:59pm, I got a text from Eldest*Grand's iPad. It was the message: "I have a surprise for you." Then "Do you want to hear about it now, or wait until you come?"
I said "Oh my! I would love to hear about it now (but is it too late for a conversation?)."
"I will tell you now."
Then she went on to tell me that she is getting her hair dyed blue today "just some streaks."
THEN I discovered it was Younger*Sister*Grand telling me this with Eldest*Grand's iPad. So I had to ask her what her bedtime is these days. She said reading time at 8:30pm with lights out at 9:00pm.
Heh. So I said I wouldn't want us to be banned from texting because it's after hours.
Younger wanted so much to tell me more. She wanted to tell me all about the movie she watched with the princess with the blue-streaked hair. We left it that she'll tell me another time and we said goodnight.
She kept talking a little more, but I did not respond. *That* was hard! I have so been on grandchild deprivation for three weeks that I could have gone into slumber party mode.
But! Today my DIL (the girls' Mama) messaged me and thanked me for how I handled it. !!! I was pretty sure that Mama checks the girls' messages. We had a nice conversation too. So that's a twofer! I'm so glad this happened now, as we'll be with them for Thanksgiving. 🙂
BTW, Eldest gets her blue streaks on Saturday. Bill and I will likely watch the related Disney movie, Descendants, so we'll be "conversant" when we see the girls. 😀
I love being a Gramie!!!!
I should have mentioned that Younger is 9 and Eldest is 12. 💘💗
Thankful! Watch for a package. It was Jo's idear and I joined in. Should arrive Wednesday. The day before Thanksgiving seems the perfect day to give Thankful a gift! 💙🎁 ENJOY!!!
The voter wave wasn’t only blue, it was progressive too.
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/15/opinions/midterm-elections-ballot-initiatives-progressive-victories-jean-pierre/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F
DT and Mueller, this week...
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/16/politics/donald-trump-robert-mueller-investigation/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F
In the end, only about an inch. But my, what a HEAVY inch. About a third ice/freezing rain. And, blessedly, melting.
Well, I'm so glad THAT's melting! Ugh!
I think we have about 9.5" or more. We stopped measuring it when it kept stopping and starting.
VT*Grand (age 11) on the premises! Having a blast! Better go sleep though. LOL!
{{{Pat}}}
Yes, glad it's melting, puddle. I don't mind snow much, but icy is least fave. We had a touch of snow a week ago Friday; didn't stick much. Yesterday was the first measurable snow but only about an inch here. Some still on grass.
Will keep a watch out listener & Jo. Love the grand story!
VT*Grand (age 11) was here today and *gasp!* she is now the same height as me! She has grown 4" taller since last May...!!!
And did I mention that the reason she doesn't fit into my shoes is that her feet are two sizes LARGER than mine?
HOW DID ALL THAT HAPPEN?!! Ha!
Hi Listener,
I enjoy your Grandparent chronicles. You bring us recognition and joy.
♡ PAT! ♡
I should have more after Thanksgiving, as we're expecting to see all 7 of our biological grands!! :-D
Wow! A little package arrived a bit ago... Jo,and co-conspirator listener, what a treasure. Just Wow! (I sent an email to you, listener... please forward to Jo as I'm not sure the addie I have I'd current.)
Gotta share what arrived... a tee that says
KINDNESS IS FREE
sprinkle
THAT STUFF
EVERYWHERE
soft poly, heather blue with white lettering; wish I could replicate the fonts - trust me, it's pretty awesome.
And it's 37° today, but it's *not* coming off.
Happy Thanksgiving it is.
What a wondrous community this is.
Mia Love lost in Utah, *by provisional ballots*! Depriving the republicans of the only black they have in the House. Which got me to thinking--if I gave a party and only white people showed up, if I went to church and only straight people showed up, and if I went to vote and everyone in my party was pretty much white and straight and male~~then I'd have to think I was not in the right place. Heck, my Meeting in Berkeley was about 20% Buddhists, lol!
Awww, I sent along to Jo your sweet message, with the account of the package's arrival, Thankful; and now we three are ALL thankful!!! 😘👍 We were even thanking each other! 🤗
Here's the link to the tee, folks! ENJOY!!
https://www.amazon.com/Kindness-Sprinkle-Everywhere-T-Shirt-Heather/dp/B075ZTWTTS/ref=sr_1_12?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1542785978&sr=1-12&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=Kindness+is+free+tee
Jo picked the shirt and the color and completely agree!! XOXOXOX
Hahaaa, that should have read "*I* completely agree" !!
So glad you love the tee Thankful. Every time I think of kindness, acts of love, I think of you and your reminding us that kindness is free. I spend a lot of time thinking of kindness these days, I spend a lot of time looking for good news. <3
P.S. My addy is jopoquette27ATgmailDOTcom
BTW I do think that Shirlee and Edwin and JC and many others of our dear departed would be thrilled with the midterm election results. :-)
Ahhh, yes, Jo. I concur. I keep thinking of Lucy Maud Montgomery (author of the Anne of Green Gables series), writing during WWI that "the dead are fighting with us." I would venture to say it appears they pulled some strings in high places. ;-)
Got an apple and a cherry pie baked today. :-)
Happy Thanksgiving, every one of you!!! &heartsl I'll check in as I am able.
That should be...
♥
Happy Thanksgiving dear friends.
I love Advent and Christmastide. I look forward to it every year. So I’m trying not to wish it away in favour of getting to January 20th.
Did everybody tune in to watch NASA's Mars InSight Robot land just now? VERY COOL!!! Talk about the ultimate Go Live event! What a joy to watch pandemonium break out in the Jet Propulsion Lab when their years of hard effort turned out to be perfectly successful!!
What happens on January 20th?
The Waking
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I have to go.
We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
Of those so close beside me, which are you?
God bless the Ground! I shall walk softly there,
And learn by going where I have to go.
Light takes the Tree; but who can tell us how?
The lowly worm climbs up a winding stair;
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
Great Nature has another thing to do
To you and me; so take the lively air,
And, lovely, learn by going where to go.
This shaking keeps me steady. I should know.
What falls away is always. And is near.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I learn by going where I have to go.
~~Theodore Roethke, 1908 - 1963
I love this poem by Roethke. Good Morning. Cold here but some blue sky.
It's good to hear your, Jo. Yes, kindness is free and essential. A smile here.
Love to you all.
Just realized that Roethke was born a year before my father, and died a year before him. Young.
Lovely poem.
I was referring to when the new House is ... in order.
Laying low these last few days. Saturday night I had a scratchy throat. Sunday I got a low grade fever, body aches and swollen glands. The fever has been down for days, but the throat is still swollen and uncomfortable, I have a dry cough and occasionally cough up some interesting looking crud. After some research I have discovered that I have all the symptoms of acute bronchitis. I've never had it before, so it's been a learning curve. I cancelled all commitments for the week and we'll see how this trends. I sure hope it's a LOT better by next week as I have 6 guidance meetings, a hair appointment, two lunches with friends and a grandchild day planned!! Argh!!
I am sleeping a lot, eating well, drowning in fluids and taking expectorant and pain killer as needed. Rev up the prayers and send me some healing vibes! Thank you!! 💖
Hi Listener,
Prayers and concerns your way. Yes, rest, lots of liquids, breathing in steam froma cup of tea, whatever works. It is the cold and flu season. Yes, nasal mist, netty cups, whatever clears your sinuses and throat.
You give so much. We appreciate your kindness, love, and efforts.
Today, I took Winter the crabby cat in for thyroid surgery. He's lot half his weight. I will pick him up tomorrow. Yes, prayers for a kitty as well. a smile here.
OIC~~ New House is sworn in on January 3, so no much waiting. Huzzah!
And prayers for all who are ill. And special blessings on crabby cat!
My throat looks somewhat better today and I am breathing easier. It seems I have “got de turn.” ⛄️
* * *
Went out to measure the snow (my first time outside in days) and got a little carried away. I took photos of the Christmas trees, then I did a little shoveling. Shouldn't have. Exhausted now and my breathing took a little hit. Phooey. I just want to get back to doing stuff. Patience needed. 🎄
And the verdict is: It snowed all day, but allegedly we got only 1" more. So I suspect it compacted down a bit. I believe we got at least 2", so I'm claiming 14" so far. Still snowing. 🌨❄️
✨ A special blessing on Crabby Cat! 😼 Being ill myself this week I totally understand the crabby part!! I hope it's all good news tomorrow!!! ☀️
So, with Michael Cohen giving 70 hours of testimony to Mueller, and DT canceling his meeting with Putin, it seems we are very close to the end of the story. Hoping we can have our nation back on the right track before long!!!!
Facebook response to this https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/11/30/white-liberals-dumb-themselves-down-when-they-speak-black-people-new-study-contends
Julie Li
A friend of mine asked me once if I thought cafe au lait was the answer to race relations in the US? Truth is, I'd never thought about it. On thinking, I told her, mebbe. She and I had been hired during an upgrade at the NASA library--they'd decided to hire only college grads. She was very dark, but peeps nonethless mixed us up because we were both new hires.
She told me that when she was younger, her husband died, leaving her with three small children and no income. It had been a hard time in her life and she doubted she'd have survived if not for the assistance of the neighborhood store owner who was very good to her and the kids. She ended up living with him, and they were planning on getting married, but she was afraid to tell her family because he was white. Would I be her maid of honor at their wedding? I told her I thought she should tell her family, but if she wasn't ready yet, then sure, I'd be glad to.
In the event, none of that was true. She'd was married and had three kids, but her husband hadn't died. The weeks long story was a test, and I'd passed. But it ruined the friendship.
I wondered then, and I wonder now if honesty and friendship is possible in this country between races? James Baldwin contended, and I believe him, that the oppressed know the oppressor infinitely better than the reverse. It's a matter of life and death for them.
Of course, there IS inequity of education between races. Affirmative action attempts to remedy that. Is it working? One can pray so.
As an aside, and make of it what you will--for years I was a doll maker. One of a kind, original, artist's dolls. Mostly Santas and antique looking Fathers Christmas. Early, I decided to make ethnic Santas/Gift Givers--made African and NOL father Christmases, Jewish gift givers, Italian Befanas, Russian Babushkas, even a Chinese Santa. Never sold one single black doll to an African American. They were all bought by white southerners. Most of the other ethnics went to collectors, except for the Hanukkah Harrys who pretty much went to mixed Jewish/Christian homes.
Carry on.
RIP Richard Stuart
clergy person, psychologist, spiritual guide, NH State Representative, friend [whom I met when I was 15 and rediscovered when my children were half grown], peer, mentor, bright light, compassionate soul.
Dick truly lived until he died. On November 21st, he was at the US-Mexico border protesting in support of migrants. He and his dear wife Ruth then flew to DC for Thanksgiving with their daughter; but on the eve of Thanksgiving, when Dick got a pain in his back that he was experiencing checked out, he ended up having unexpected bypass surgery at Johns Hopkins. He was in good spirits after surgery, too. Then silence for a week and this news. I am stunned and heartbroken and moved and will always have a hole in my life. So many vital memories. So much to mull. ✨
Ah, puddle. I guess what I make of it is mostly that trust takes a long time to build where it has been flouted for generations.
How did it go for Crabby Cat at the Vet?
Are we ready for Advent?
Are we beyond ready for Mueller?
Hi Listener and Puddle. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, Listener. I don't think there's anything harder than losing those we love, have learned from, who have been an essential part of our life. I think memory of those we love is part of what we know as eternity.
Puddle, what a creative soul you are and what variety of experiences you've had in your life. It's sad when there's so much skepticism and cynicism that artifice becomes a test of friendship. I'm sure that your loyalty and integrity might have helped your friend as she continued on.
Cold here, but not much snow. Winter the crabby cat seems to be doing well. He sleeps a lot, eats some, and sits on my lap several times a day, He had a large tumor on his thyroid, so they operated on him, removing it. He's seventeen years old, white hair, pink ears, pink nose, blue eyes that look into my eyes. I think he's very intelligent. Thank you for asking. I pray he'll recover.
✨🕯✨ Lo! It's Advent! ✨🕯✨
Instead of attending Anima's farewell concert last evening, or participating in a church service today, or getting a Christmas tree or digging out decorations, I am still at home, sick and laying low. But Advent came anyway. 💜 And I am grateful. So, I am playing Anima and Loreena McKennitt music and hoping for an afternoon thunderstorm.
Remember to open your Advent calendars!
Winter Cat is 84 in human years. I hope he recovers well, too. At very least he will be healing instead of being more and more ill, and he will know he was well cared for and loved.
I agree that there is a real chance that puddle's response to the woman who mistrusted will have had a lasting effect. And puddle, your bearing of that ache of broken trust (or trust that wasn't given at the first) is part of mending the cloth of humanity.
And, hmmm, writing that just answered one of my deepest struggles in life..! I bear the ache of broken trust in a former guidance relationship. Until I wrote that, I hadn't fully seen the bearing of it as a means of the mending of something even larger than what was broken. This helps more than I can express.
I appreciate your thoughts, Listener. Thank you.
Bernie/Beto 2020
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/03/bernie-sanders-2020-president-senator-mulls-second-white-house-run
At last my body is coming out of
the 9 Day swollen glands
& chest cough virus!
Whoo hoo!
Yea for you. So glad you are feeling better.
New thread!
Post a Comment