Thursday, June 28, 2012

I actually cried when I heard. Guess I didn't have that much faith in the Supremes, lol!

Supreme Court grants victory to President Obama, upholding constitutionality of 2010 health care law




WASHINGTON – The US Supreme Court Thursday handed President Obama a major victory by upholding the sweeping 2010 healthcare law, declaring that Obama and Congress acted within their powers in requiring most Americans to obtain health insurance.
The ruling reaffirms the most ambitious and controversial undertaking of Obama’s first term: attempting to guarantee that most of the 45 million Americans without insurance will get better access to medical care. Demonstrators supporting the healthcare law exploded in cheers outside the Supreme Court as news of the ruling emerged.
The justices ruled 5-to-4 that Congress acted within its authority to impose an ``individual mandate’’ by using its taxing powers to fashion the enforcement side of the requirement. Under the law, individuals who fail to obtain insurance will be required to pay a tax penalty. The requirement begins in 2014.
Chief Justice John Roberts Jr., an appointee of former President George W. Bush who often has sided with the conservatives on the court in close cases, sided with the more liberal wing this time and proved to be the decisive vote. There is some irony in the turn of events. As a US senator in 2005, Obama voted against Roberts’s confirmation. Now Roberts has handed Obama one of the biggest victories of his political life.
By maintaining the status quo, the Supreme Court has given Republicans in Congress a fresh rallying point, as they have vowed to continue their fight to legislatively repeal the sweeping law. But with the conservative-leaning court affirming the government’s power to intervene aggressively in the national healthcare market, the GOP faces a difficult path.
Obama and his Democratic allies have said they will continue seeking to persuade voters of the virtues of the law during the election season, including popular provisions that bar insurance companies from denying coverage for pre-existing conditions and that require insurers to cover children in family plans until they are 26 years old. The law also includes a massive expansion of the federal Medicaid program, which is expected to add 17 million new people to government-sponsored coverage by 2016, also remains intact.
The victory for Obama and Democrats bucked conventional wisdom and proved the futility of attempting to predict how the Supreme Court will act when fundamental and unprecedented questions about the power of federal government are on the line. Most analysts had anticipated a high-court setback based on the tone of questions during oral arguments and a recent conservative tilt of the court.
Stephen Ryan, head of the government strategies group in the Washington-based law firm of McDermott Will & Emery, said Chief Justice Roberts saved the court from being seen as a politicized body, with a potential trifecta of partisan decisions given decisions in the past 12 years on Bush v. Gore, determining who won the 2000 presidential race, and Citizens United on unlimited political spending by corporations.
“This is the move of a great pol,” Ryan said. “He in effect has taken his branch of government out of being seen as having dumped something ugly in the punch bowl.”
The president fulfilled a longstanding goal of the Democratic Party in 2010 when he pushed through the most sweeping expansion of health care coverage since the federal government established the Medicare insurance program for the elderly in the 1960s. The law included a vast expansion of the federal Medicaid program to include millions of new beneficiaries and set up an array of cost-savings and reforms in federal healthcare programs. Modeled on the landmark healthcare plan passed by former Governor Mitt Romney in Massachusetts, the federal law also calls upon states to establish healthcare exchanges where low-cost and subsidized plans would be offered.
But the political costs were extremely high to both the president and Democrats in Congress. The vastly expanded role of the government in the healthcare market spawned a conservative backlash that spawned the Tea Party movement and helped Republicans win back the House from Democratic control in the 2010 mid-term elections.
Democrats lost 63 House seats and 6 Senate seats that year.
“The long rows of Democratic political dead can rest in peace today that they didn’t die in vain,” Ryan said. Had the ruling struck down all or parts of the law, “the president would have had a real problem dealing with Democratic members watching their colleagues lay down their seats for nothing.”
The negative reaction in 2010 also helped Massachusetts Republican Scott Brown seize the seat left vacant by the death of Senator Edward M. Kennedy, who spent most of his career advocating for better health care coverage and was a crucial backer of the Obama effort until his death in August 2009.
Obama is expected to make a statement about court decision at 12:15 this afternoon.
“The president has one last opportunity to sell this law to the American public today, which he has never done,” Ryan said. “His presidency might ride on his ability to convince people that his policy actually makes sense but they just didn’t know enough about it. That’s his opportunity for this afternoon.”
Polls have shown Americans never fully understood or supported the benefits or costs of the complex law; a narrow majority continues to favor its total repeal. Even Obama has not campaigned aggressively on its passage in his 2012 re-election bid.
The most contentious aspect of the 2010 law is the ``individual mandate.’’ Requiring that most Americans obtain insurance is a critical tradeoff in barring insurance companies from denying benefits for pre-existing conditions and imposing other limits on coverage.
Without forcing healthy people to buy insurance and pay into the pot, not enough premiums will flow into an insurance plan to cover everyone who gets sick. In anticipation of the Supreme Court ruling, insurance companies in recent weeks have been scrambling to explain why they need this provision if they are going to be required to cover all comers, regardless of their medical history or condition.
Without the mandate, individual insurance premiums would rise to the point of becoming prohibitively expensive, and tens of millions more people would remain uninsured – the very problem the law was meant to address, analysts said.
Nationally, the sweeping health reform law is supposed to expand coverage to 30 million people who are currently uninsured by 2016, through a combination of employer-sponsored insurance, Medicaid expansion, private individual plans, and insurance exchanges. It is unclear how many would ultimately be covered without the mandate to buy insurance or pay a penalty starting in 2014.
 http://www.boston.com/politicalintelligence/2012/06/28/supreme-court-grants-victory-president-obama-upholding-constitutionality-healthcare-law/4o5Rwiyv7QhlVPlaSBcmEP/story.html

49 comments:

whitznd said...

WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!!! And...Howard be first along with the SCOTUS today. Well, at least 5 of them.

Anonymous said...

Obama Wins the Battle, Roberts Wins the War

The chief justice’s canny move to uphold the Affordable Care Act while gutting the Commerce Clause.

By Tom Scocca|Posted Thursday, June 28, 2012, at 11:59 AM ET

Read the rest of Slate’s coverage on the Supreme Court upholding the Affordable Care Act.

There were two battles being fought in the Supreme Court over the Affordable Care Act. Chief Justice John Roberts—and Justice Anthony Kennedy—delivered victory to the right in the one that mattered.

Yes, Roberts voted to uphold the individual mandate, joining the court's liberal wing to give President Obama a 5-4 victory on his signature piece of legislation. Right-wing partisans are crying treason; left-wing partisans saw their predictions of a bitter, party-line defeat undone.

But the health care law was, ultimately, a pretext. This was a test case for the long-standing—but previously fringe—campaign to rewrite Congress' regulatory powers under the Commerce Clause.

This is why the challenge to the ACA, and its progress through the courts, came as a surprise to Democrats and to mainstream constitutional scholars: Three years ago, there was no serious doubt that Congress had the power to impose the individual mandate.
snip
The scholars expected to see the court gut existing Commerce Clause precedent and overturn the individual mandate in a partisan decision: Five Republican-appointed justices voting to rewrite doctrine and reject Obamacare; four Democratic-appointed justices dissenting.

Roberts was smarter than that. By ruling that the individual mandate was permissible as a tax, he joined the Democratic appointees to uphold the law—while joining the Republican wing to gut the Commerce Clause (and push back against the necessary-and-proper clause as well). Here's the Chief Justice's opinion (italics in original):

Construing the Commerce Clause to permit Congress to regulate individuals precisely because they are doing nothing would open a new and potentially vast domain to congressional authority. Congress already possesses expansive power to regulate what people do. Upholding the Affordable Care Act under the Commerce Clause would give Congress the same license to regulate what people do not do. The Framers knew the difference between doing something and doing nothing. They gave Congress the power to regulate commerce, not to compel it. Ignoring that distinction would undermine the principle that the Federal Government is a government of limited and enumerated powers. The individual mandate thus cannot be sustained under Congress’s power to “regulate Commerce.”

The business about "new and potentially vast" authority is a fig leaf. This is a substantial rollback of Congress' regulatory powers, and the chief justice knows it. It is what Roberts has been pursuing ever since he signed up with the Federalist Society. In 2005, Sen. Barack Obama spoke in opposition to Roberts' nomination, saying he did not trust his political philosophy on tough questions such as "whether the Commerce Clause empowers Congress to speak on those issues of broad national concern that may be only tangentially related to what is easily defined as interstate commerce." Today, Roberts did what Obama predicted he would do.

Roberts' genius was in pushing this health care decision through without attaching it to the coattails of an ugly, narrow partisan victory. Obama wins on policy, this time. And Roberts rewrites Congress' power to regulate, opening the door for countless future challenges. In the long term, supporters of curtailing the federal government should be glad to have made that trade.
***********
sea, just popping in

puddle said...

I guess the truth is that *they* are nevah going to quit. And why should they? The stakes are *everything*. . . . ALL they money, ALL the POWER. Any time we try to take a break, or a breath, they will advance. The thing *we* have to remember is that is is our LIVES they're playing with. . . . And our lives simply do NOT matter to them. Never have, never will, not in this life. Aside from that, they have enough low-information voters on their side to tip the balance way too often.

Just a list from the top of my head:

War on reproductive rights.
War on Unions.
War on education.
War on voting rights.
War on Clean Air.
War for fracking.
War for drilling.
War against alternative energy.
War on equal pay.
War on minimum wages.

puddle said...

Shirlee, as a long time NPR listener/fan, do you know who Donald McCaig is? He wrote the "Nop" books (which is where I picked him up.). He lives in Highland County.

I've *thought* about dropping by, lol! But don't guess I ever will -- have this thing about bothering people just because they're famous, grin. . . . *Especially* if they're my neighbors. He's a member of his fire department, so maybe he was among those 17 engines that showed up the night of my uproad fire.

I was rereading the Nop books a couple of years ago, and ended up buying/reading virtually everything he's ever written. He's very good.

http://www.amazon.com/An-American-Homeplace-Virginia-Bookshelf/dp/0813917751

puddle said...

And, BTW, found a couple of web pages for Rock of Ages -- really stunning place. I'll do the link here, if you don't object. Let me know.

puddle said...

Lol! Shutting down for the third time today, this guy decided to go for the gold. Tried three times before succeeding. And managed to flip every whistle available. Got a "sign in as owner" alert, which disappeared to an enormous fanfare, and then a couple more sounds I didn't recognize. And then back to: NONE OF THIS EVER HAPPENED. In all took half an hour to shut down. Good he doesn't have far to go. . . .

New Computer has a provisional name, though I've noticed they're like dogs: you *try* and somehow it ends up not fitting, so you keep trying until one takes. Name, so far, is Clementine. . . . My car's named The Beautiful Ludmilla (from a Russian Folk Tale, and my butterflies). Did someone once say you don't own something until it has a name?

Shirlee in NC said...

Have been doing my version of "have to go to town." Mine involves having one of my handy helpers drive me around town and do various errands--health food store, bank, downtown farmers market, etc..
But she also comes home with me and helps take care of things and tidies up.
Don't drive anymore
too short--and too old to learn the curves, hills, narrow streets and faster traffic than Palacios Tx had with wide, flat roads and a limited number of people.

Puddle--my daughter Marla who owns the rock would love to have you post it here--I guarantee!
and I am proud she has done so much with it. So, yep--please go ahead.

I need to go back and re-read the setting up of the new computer episode--but first down to the mail room.

puddle said...

Rock of Ages

Nope, lol!, not setting up the new one yet. Lording will AND the crick. . . . tomorrow. Or at least begin to. New ones are daunting, and new ones with new to me operating systems even more so. The blessing of the process, blood sweat and tears though it is, is the one learns a great deal about what one is doing. . . .

That was just a description of *trying* to reboot this guy.

Shirlee in NC said...

No--I have not heard of Donald McCaig-but after clicking the amazon link think I need to read some of him. Thanks, Puddle.

No mail but the whole trek equals almost a
block of walking which helps with the osteoporosis.

I am actually waiting to see how much this last go-round with the surgeon and the hospital will cost Medicare, MI Blue Cross and me. It costs a ton of money to keep patched together!

Still missing Doc Watson--listening to his music is wonderful--but knowing he is gone leaves an emptiness--for now.

puddle said...

Lording will -- okay: Lord willing. . . . Shows what state MY brain is in, grin.

puddle said...

I know what you mean about that emptiness: Harry made me several tapes of Stained Glass Blue Grass a decade ago. When Red Shipley died five years ago, it just seemed so *wrong* -- still does. Those tapes are my traveling music when I can't get NPR. And I'm dreading the tapes wearing out. They've done several hundred thousand miles with me, lol! Well -- at least a hundred thousand.

Jeepers: he was three years younger than me!

Shirlee in NC said...

Thanks for The Rock link, Puddle--I hadn't looked at the website lately--some great new photos.

I get the first floor suite for those who don't do stairs. The tower room is always Herb and Marla's. It has recently been re- done with new windows, etc.

The house was built by a New Englander who came to quarry limestone in the area. He had a large
family--and workers.
The 3rd floor was originally for some of the workers.
Now--it is a perfect place for all kids--TV', games and all. Our good cooks love the kitchen--but wow can they make a mess--but everybody pitches in and helps clean up. We have had what some southerners call some mighty righteous meals there.It is one of the glues that holds our growing spread apart family together.

And to make this discussion a little broader--it is a big boon to the little town of Marblehead.
Marla is proud of keeping her local taxes paid--even as they both can get frustrated with small town politics.

puddle said...

I thought that no stairs bed was yours, lol! It truly is a remarkable place. And yes, I'll bet it helps the town enormously. And oh yes, on small town politics -- fascinating for an outsider to watch, and figure out. . . .

Shirlee in NC said...

Because of my own interests and beliefs I think the thing I am most proud of is that Marla with her determination and her husband Herb with his expertise have taken an historic home in the town--which had gone from home to inn to an ill-run B&B with nobody really putting
thought, work and love back into it.
They have done all
three and truly made it a wonderful place.

Shirlee in NC said...

Time to head for the
bedroom. Sleep well and stay safe all

puddle said...

The love is *very* evident. Plus is has excellent bones. But that is not accomplished without one helluva LOT of work. I watch my sister with her old stone house, and am in awe of the energy it takes. . . .

This is hers: http://pollyanna-reinvents.blogspot.com/2012/06/broadstone-tour-part-one.html

It helps that she's an antique dealer and has more energy than anyone I know. (She had eleven kids!) She started just yard saling, lol! And teaching herself as she went along.

puddle said...

Prayers, please: the escape artist's been gone for almost two hours. Came close once, and ran again -- I'm trying NOT to make this a game for him. I don't LIKE playing this game. . . .

puddle said...

Boy came home about a half hour after the prayer request. Longest that he's ever stayed away. Guess it might have been sooner if I hadn't gone looking (starting the car is a dog attractant, lol!)(Alas, you can get 'em to come, but refuse to get close enough to grab. . . .) He came up onto the porch, I tossed a dog biscuit near my feet, he came, gobbled it up, and before I could grab him, he rushed by me into the house. Phew!

As I was about to come back and post his return, discovered my phone line was officially OUT. While I was trubbleshooting, da boy went upstairs, and to bed. So I joined him.

Thanks for the prayers, all: they worked, eh?!!

Shirlee in NC said...

Glad your trickster decided to return home, Puddle. It is scary when they get out/away and KNOW they should not.

Any word from Pat, lately--and I am assuming Jo is having
internet connection
bugs keeping her away.

Had a message from daughter Marla about
posting the link here to The Rock. First word--"COOL!" then said as I thought she might--"who knows get a rental from it"--business woman that she now is!

Shirlee in NC said...

Checked out your sister's site--and she surely IS an antiques dealer--and very creative--as you seem to be. I love what she did with the antique organ "with no guts."

Still wondering about Pat. Unusual not to hear from her
for so long.

Pat said...

Hi Shirlee, Puddle, thanks for your
concern. We are good here: the High Park fire is 85% contained,is expected to be 100% by July 1st. We're very lucky.

The Colorado Springs Waldo Canyon fire is still raging, 350+ homes burned, and one person dead, another missing.

Five more spot fires yesterday: one in Masonville, quickly put out, which is only 3 1/2 miles from us, three more on the plains, and one near Grand Junction, on the western divide.

The air is hazy today, probably from Colorado Springs and Boulder. The Flagstaff fire is still burning, and they are worried about the city residents in south Boulder near a couple of government buildings.

I went to our Thursday yoga session with a friend who works with the local fire dept. She is confident that the fire near us is under control, but given the weather conditions it may well burn all summer long. It will take Mother Nature to put it out with rains or snow.

Aside from that, life is good. Friends are so important in our lives. I'm not sure what my life would have been without friendships.

In an article in Newsweek on Title 9, Barack Obama remarks: "I've said that women will shape the destiny of this country, and I mean it. The more confident, empowered women who enter our boardrooms and courtrooms, legislatures, and hospitals, the stronger we become as a country." p. 11, July 2&9 issue.

Yes, Barack Obama, and I salute your wise, your courageous, your brilliant and loving mother. Yes.

And, we can celebrate: The democrats won one this time for the American people. If Justice Roberts is intelligent, fair, really is a judge with judicial temperament and a real intention to rule wisely, we are fortunate.

Not so Thomas, Alito, Scalia, all a disgrace, should never never have been appointed.

But, maybe, just maybe, there is enough common sense, honesty, fairness, and willingness to work for a future that we might have one.

Given the Tea Partyers, the old, entitled, prejudiced, mainly white folks, we have lots of work to do, and some thoughts and prayers would help I think, I hope.

Some thunder here, so will shut down the computer for a bit.

Thank you for being here.

puddle said...

My guess is that Pat's suffering battle fatigue. The news last night was *good* -- they've moved the containment date up again -- from July 15 to July 1! But the smoke is going to continue. Must feel like being under siege.

Lol! at Marla's reaction -- I'd have guessed that's what it would be. I've been dreaming about starting some kind of new group which needs a retreat, grin. . . . Will certainly stay on my radar as a place to *highly* recommend.

Just got a call from the FEDEX guy asking for directions: they've changed us all from Route/Box numbers to Street numbers/Road names, but none of this is yet available to anyone but the Post Office. And the Post Office is eight miles out of his way. The only reason I was off line was I was rebooting this guy. . . . Going to be both a relief and a PITA to have Clementine. The learning curve in the beginning is fairly steep for any new OS. Amazes me in retrospect that I managed to switch back and forth between Edwin's Mac/cable to my XP/dialup with relative ease. Am really glad, too, that this guy gave out NOW and not next winter: I truly don't want Windows 8. . . . Though I 'spect for peeps with cellphones and many other computer accouterments, it wouldn't be that hard.

Thinking about trying to wrassle my bedroom desk downstairs soon (This one, an antique library table from Wyoming I bought from my sister when I was caring for my mum, and dragged home, is scheduled to be the new kitchen table. It's proving too fragile for the weight of the computers. Just need to figure out what to do with the clothes on the upstairs desk, lol! It's become a de facto clothes bench. (Got no chest of drawers up there)(My one single chest of drawers is downstairs by the door -- general storage -- from batteries and envelops to paper to computer supplies.) I also share my bedroom with a passel of craft makings -- I haven't wanted the antique/museum reproduction stuff over in the other storage tower. I envy my sister in that most of the stuff in her crafts room is trim/makings. The bones: the furniture, stays in her back third of the garage, or attic, or basement. My bones: huge tubs of fabric and furs and the like is mostly in the attic of the store room (pull down ladder, so I have to think seriously if I *really* want to find stuff there). If I ever want to get back to making dolls, I need to find a way to reorganize. So *her* reorganization is being somewhere between inspiration and jealousy. . . .

puddle said...

Elle est arrivée!!!

(Clementine)

Shirlee in NC said...

Congratulations on Clementine's safe delivery--NOW the fun begins!!!!

Shirlee in NC said...

Hope Clementine is getting ready to go to work,Pat continues to be as safe as possible from fires and Jo finds a bit of internet hook-up--and anybody else out there--have a Good Night. Taking this old bod to bed with
P.S., W.B. and others. Sleep Tight.

Pat said...

Night Shirlee, thanks for the good wishes.

Yea for Clementine's arrival.

Yes, smoky air makes you tired and lethargic, but we are well. We will be watching a special on the wildfires at 7:30 pm and eating some home made apple pie. It's great that David likes cooking and baking. If it were up to me, I'd live on Lean Cuisines and sandwiches and fruit, oh and beignets and cafe au lait.
Off for a while.

Pat said...

Good Morning,

On my homepage, news report of a state of emergency in West Virginia, electricity outages and downed trees.

Thoughts your way, Puddle. I hope you are okay and there's no damage from the wind.

On NPR this morning, wind damage and power outages from West Virginia, Virginia, Washington DC to Minnesota.

Shirlee in NC said...

Thanks, Pat-but this is worrisome. Surely hope Puddle,her trickster and Clementine are safe.

Shirlee in NC said...

Just talked to my daughter in Cincinnati
and they had a tremendous, "scary" storm through there last night. Looks like a whole swath of the country at weather.com--

Stay safe--missing Jo and Puddle. Get rested Pat--if you can.

Shirlee in NC said...

Off to bed--thinking we may not hear from Puddle for a few days if electricity is out.
I lived in small rural areas both in Michigan and Texas--and it just takes longer to get things repaired. I am glad she stocked up on supplies recently.

Good night all--and any!

Denise said...

Happy July!!

Summer is in full swing up here in the UP. Clapton and I had a perfect drive up, hardly any Saturday traffic and I got a late start out of Chicago. He's having fun chasing the chipmunks, which are way too fast for him, and rolling around in the grass.

I need to go to town for some staples. I'm glad that Pat is safe, as is my good friend in Colorado Springs. Puddle must have a power outage of some sort. I haven't seen her on facebook, either. Come back soon puddle!!

Pat said...

Good Morning Denise and Shirlee,

The High Park fire is 100% contained; the Waldo Canyon fire about 50%. The air still hazy and hot, but everything is better.

Denise, I love the UP, am elated to know that you have a home there and love it too. It's a wonderful place.

I hope Puddle is fine, that electricity returns soon. On NPR, it said it could be as much as a week in rural places. But, we've all been there, and we manage.

I'm glad we're here. Thank you again, Jo, Puddle, Shirlee, Barb, Denise, Listener, for keeping a conversation alive.

I'll check in later.

Shirlee in NC said...

Have a happy vacation, Denise-and Clapton also :)

I am sure Puddle has a power outage from the storm--just wish I knew that she was safe from fallen trees, etc. Not sure where her son lives--but surely he would check on her? It was a tremendous storm with lots of wind--and thus lots of broken limbs and trees down in that part of the country.

Have a good Sunday, all.

Denise said...

I'm watching the McLaughlin Group, I always like that roundtable. Even Pat Buchanan agreed that the recent SCOTUS decision on healthcare pretty much gave Obama his next four years.

I look forward to spending time with my friends on the Fourth of July, and the evening before, near Michigamme for fireworks over the reservoir.

The coffee seems to taste much better up here. Has to be that refreshing and cold artesian well water.

Thank you for the good wishes!!

Anonymous said...

MAGICAL THINKING

Obama Administration’s Plan for Arctic Offshore Drilling Safety: “I Believe There’s Not Going to Be an Oil Spill”

Salazar

**************
from Nation of Change

Sea

Jo_in_Vermont said...

hi to all! my connectivity has been rotten. blessings on you!

too bad sea just lurks and then drops in with anti-Obama stuff. just like on bfa she seems to have no intention of having a real conversation with any of us. poor thing, she's locked in a viscious cycle. and lonely I guess, since she just can't stay away.....

Jo_in_Vermont said...

but nah, she's not lonely, she just keeps on trying to be the center of attention.

Anonymous said...

No, Jo, I come here once every week or two. I don't lurk and I'm not lonely since I have real friends. If you don't like my offerings, delete them.

I'm also on a political blog with the guys. And I belong to a spiritual group of women called "Sisters."

For starters...then there are AA friends, tango friends.

You are determined to make me conform to your thoughts about me. As usual,you are wrong.

You might ask yourself why the guys aren't here...it's not becuz you're all such "strong" women. Think about it.

Sea

now gone for weeks...

Pat said...

Hi Jo,

Glad you are here; sorry about your problems with connecting. We so count on the computers that when we can't get on, it's very frustrating.

We're good here. Another hot day.

I belong to a poets' group. One woman remarked, we get a little weird as we get older, and that seems true to me. In an individualistic society, our personality quirks become stronger as we age, I think.

And so, here's to weirdness, good humor, friendship, and rationality. May we hold onto that.

Well, need to go out and water the struggling trees, bushes, and plants.

Pat said...

Sea, why do you feel it necessary to post abrupt negative comments with no conversation, no rationality, no effort to communicate with people here? What is it you get out of that?

That's what I mean by weirdness, character traits and actions that just don't seem to make any sense, that are not beneficial, not really informative, and just create a feeling of someone showing her dislike for people.

It's not at all about conformity.

And if you are on a blog with HuJo and others of his ilk, well, you have my sympathy. That takes some toughness for all that ranting and prejudice.

Denise said...

Look up John Sass on Facebook. He's self described "old and grumpy". Hu Jo at least has a handle on who he is.

Thank God for small favors he doesn't come here!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

hi Pat! glad the fires are leaving you alone! I think about you every day.

sea I didn't see you cheering for the millions of Americans who will have real healthcare, just another complaint about the outcome. glass-half-empty. or perhaps just empty!

it's really simple Judy. you don't like most of my opinions and I don't like yours. and this is my blog, so deal with it or... whatever.

stick wid da boys, whydoncha?

Jo_in_Vermont said...

hi Denise! happy vacation! xo

Jo_in_Vermont said...

ya I don't miss sea's boys at all. certainly not mean-spirited-Guy.

Denise said...

Thanks Jo, it's heaven. Resting the knee now and enjoying the local peaches. Slurp...I have to say I love Red Haven peaches from Michigan.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

I may be adopting a new kitty, I miss Kayla a bunch and I think I'm ready. take a peek, she sounds like a sweetheart. I've been looking for a kid friendly/dog friendly feline for a while now.

http://www.chittendenhumane.org/pet-adoptions/animal-details?animal_id=820

Shirlee in NC said...

Glad you are able to rest your knee, Denise. Protect, protect, protect--my motto.

Just finished an interesting article about a new biography of President Obama.
The biographer seems to use some element of the theory of chaos in his genealogy of the family. I had not thought of that approach to any life--but yes, I think we may all have a lot of "if that hadn't happened
neither would that."
I guess I don't think it is as unique approach as the author of the article does. I love genealogy--it gives us clues to some parts of ourselves.

Hurrah for Jo connecting to the net today. Still would like to hear from Puddle.

Keep safe from remaining fire and smoke, Pat.

Good Night All

Pat said...

Good Morning,

Hot and dry continues, but the air feels a little clearer.

Thinking of Puddle, hope her electricity resumes soon.

And just a hello and wishing you all a good day.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

new thread!