Wednesday, October 10, 2012

This is interesting - it appears that non-religiously affiliiated peeps are busy growing the democratic party!




Culture warriors on the left and right would be wise to carefully examine a new survey from the Pew Research Center showing that a growing number of Americans are moving away from religious labels.
The study, titled "Nones" on the Rise, indicates that 1 in 5 Americans now identifies as "religiously unaffiliated," a group that includes those who say they have no particular religion, as well as atheists and agnostics.
Perhaps more instructive is a close look at the age breakdown: If you're under 30, there's a 1-in-3 chance that religion plays little or no role in your life, according to the survey.
"This finding and the growth of this group has very real political consequences and political implications," says Greg Smith, a senior researcher at the Pew Research Center's Forum on Religion & Public Life and a co-author of the study.
"It's heavily Democratic," he says.
Smith points out that in each of the past three presidential elections, big majorities of the religiously unaffiliated voted for the Democratic candidate. In 2008, as many of the unaffiliated went for Obama as evangelical Christians went for John McCain.  Continued...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2012/10/09/162582670/young-nones-set-to-transform-the-political-landscape?ft=1&f=1014

66 comments:

puddle said...

Howard'd be firstiest, and mostiest! Again!!

puddle said...

The link is interesting: yesterday, elsewhere, was a *huge* discussion that there was no suchofathang as a liberal Christian. Which hinged *totally* on the fact (poster's belief) that NO CHRISTIAN could believe in either abortion or gay marriage. Period. End of discussion.

Several liberal Christians begged to differ, but he was having none of it.

Can see where such nastiness could drive people away. Completely. . . .

puddle said...

Also, very interesting to me on another front, the Wall Street Journal morning radio show this morning was saying, in length and detail, that the "Obama is anti-coal" meme is pretty much a lie. That Romney's statements and ads are LIES. This was *not* the Obama campaign.

That the Obama administration's regulations on coal don't kick in till 2014, 2015, or 2016. . . . That MORE coal is being mined RIGHT NOW than has been so in twenty years or so. It's just NOT being bought in the US, and is going to China. That the reason it's not being bought and used in the US is a glut of natural gas, which prices have fallen 60%.

This was a long segment, and repeated several times the stats, and the guy argued with callers. This was on a WV station. . . . And again, was the WSJ!

whitznd said...

Yes, us here in Washington are fighting like crazy to keep our ports from shipping that coal to China. We do NOT want it traversing our state.

I'll save the article on religion to read a bit later, but its about danged time! On one survey that I take it has a choice of "Humanist", I pick that one.

puddle said...

Given that the righties have decided that everyone is being "cruel" and "deceitful" over Mitt's tax "plans," if you can call them that. . . . THIS is an important read.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/post/misdirection-is-no-substitute-for-basic-math-on-taxes/2012/10/09/a6f6a5b4-124e-11e2-9a39-1f5a7f6fe945_blog.html

And no, I seriously doubt they can be moved off their dime: they've invested blood, money, and at least part of their souls to support this man.

But his operating tactics remind me of something I eschewed about Mormons long ago. When I was in missionary prep in seminary in the fifties, it was expected that getting a convert was going to take about a year, maybe two. Teaching them enough to make an informed and believing decision simply was going to take that much time. Investigators were *encouraged* to question, get their questions answered, and be comfortable with their choices. The conversions were expected to take, and usually did. A really GOOD missionary might get two converts in two or two and a half years.

That has changed. NOW, the idea is to get them to commit post haste, get baptized, and other members will come forward and support them as they finish learning about the church, from within its safe boundaries. From first contact to baptism in two weeks is the desiderata. . . . Difficult questions are, erm, "deflected" for a latter time. The retention rate is now about 30%/ Google "milk not meat" and "lying for the Lord." This methode operandi meshes *perfectly* with Mitt's. But someone might tell him that it's not really working for the Mormons and it doesn't really seem to be working for him. Those willing to stow their brains for a pretty face and a nice meme are really NOT that numerous.


Pat said...

Good Morning,

Puddle, I'm reading Terry Tempest Williams' newest book called, When Women Were birds. I don't know if you are familiar with her, but she is from Utah, raised as a Mormon, but is a dissenting member of the faith. I've read several of her books and heard her speak in Boulder at the University of Colorado.

I think you would enjoy her writing very much, that it would resonate with your own experiences growing up Mormon, and as a writer.

She is also a naturalist, and in her book she talks about her grandmother Mimi and learning about birds. When her mother died, she bequeathed her journals to Terry. I won't tell you more than that except that she says Mormon women were writers, even as children, taught to write, to find their own voices, taught to listen.

I picked this up at the library yesterday. I think you'd enjoy it.

Have a good day, folks.

Shirlee in NC said...

HERE you all are--I was somehow stuck on the old post. Thanks Jo.

Shirlee in NC said...

OK--who do you think would have the last word in this situation? I have an
RA medicine--Imuran. Patient leaflet says "use effective CONTRACEPTION during treatment." If the R's have their way will child bearing women with RA have no access to birth control? Who calls the last shot here--the law or the
medical profession?

puddle said...

Shirlee, my guess, without reading further is that it has the capacity to cause birth defects. There was an acne drug out there a few years ago, Accutane, that caused serious birth defects, so the same warning was given.

I think however, that it is a *warning* not a law.

Here ya go:
Imuran and Pregnancy Category D
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) uses a category system to classify the possible risks to a fetus when a specific medicine is taken during pregnancy. Pregnancy Category D is a classification given to medicines that have been shown to present a risk to the fetus in studies. However, a pregnancy Category D medicine may still be given to a pregnant woman if the healthcare provider believes that the benefits to the mother outweigh the possible risks to the unborn child.
http://arthritis.emedtv.com/imuran/imuran-and-pregnancy.html

Pat, found this: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/05/22/terry-tempest-williams-talks-about-her-new-book-when-women-were-birds.html She does indeed sound like a writer I need to read.

Pat said...

Thanks, Puddle. Yes, That's Terry Tempest Williams. I am almost sure you would find an affinity with her. She speaks and my heart hears her, is refreshed, and I feel authentic.

puddle said...

Have to say, I agree with this:

http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2012/10/10/161148/18

Shirlee in NC said...

Thanks to Pat for the
reading idea and to Puddle for all the links. I will be interested to see if the GSO library has any of her books.

The further information just makes me cringe. HOW did this crude individual get THIS far in anything????

Shirlee in NC said...

I am with Barb in choosing Humanist--
maybe I can hunt up a survey just to make my mark!

puddle said...

Back when I was a member of the Ethical Society, got a couple of tee shirts. My kid wore one to China. . . . DEED NOT CREED. He was twelve, and now at nearly fifty, still remembers how pleased he was to be questioned about it. . . .

Go Humanists!!

puddle said...

Heh! Guess who emailed that he planned to come *this* weekend. I told him what I was doing, and said if he wanted to come anyways, he was welcome. But otherwise, maybe he'd want to come NEXT weekend? Haven't heard back.

whitznd said...

Shirlee, next time I take a survey from that company, I'll send you a link so you can join and take surveys.

puddle said...

Wednesday Night
Clear. Low of 25F with a windchill as low as 16F. Winds from the NW at 10 to 15 mph.

Shirlee in NC said...

Well, Puddle if that was Howard who wants to visit this week-end-we promise we would behave!

Just renewed my lease here--going into the third year at The Lofts--reckon I'll stay for a while!

I guess your weather report means to bring warm clothes:)

Shirlee in NC said...

I would love to have any surveys around. I did a little Googling to see if I could find one. Lots of results of surveys
nothing to fill out.

Love the DEED NOT CREED phrase.

puddle said...

Tickles me to see Romney ads up at Kos. Love to see them wasting money, lol!

Shirlee in NC said...

I am not sure why I am always surprised by Republican hatred--
those on HuffPost seem to be on a rampage because she has--rightly-- claimed some American Indian blood.

Hatred never made the world better for anything or anyone.

Shirlee in NC said...

ah,SHE being Elizabeth
Warren, of course.

sorry.. time for bed.

whitznd said...

Shirlee, I see my two sites are sending me a new survey to take. When I finish the survey, it takes me to the website where you should be able to sign up. I do about one a week for each. One gives you "points" that you can save and then spend (I'm over 2/3rds the way to a nice crisp $100 bill) and the other deposits money directly into your pay pal account. Never much, but it does add up over time. They are fun to take and range over a variety of subjects. It's too late to start on taking them tonight tho.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

Good morning! Elizabeth Warren kicked ole Scotty's butt in the debate last night! there is quite a difference this time from his slide into the seat in 2010. go Elizabeth!

whitznd said...

Oy. It was obviously too late to try to be writing last night. What I meant to say was that once I got to the sites, I'd get a link for you to go to to sign up yourself.

any one can sign up.

Shirlee in NC said...

Hurrah for Elizabeth!!! She is tops. Hope I can remember to watch the VP debate tonight--I LOVE Joe Biden. He has smarts, experience and a world of humanity.

Shirlee in NC said...

Barb--thanks I will sign any survey that comes along. Any time.

puddle said...

Well, we got our freeze last night, but it's been warmer today than in the past week!

I LIKE voting in person. On paper. And knowing the people who are counting the votes. (Though non-paper voting is a choice.) And I like to vote late, so I get a whole day of anticipation, lol! Yeah, I'm a sucker for Christmas, too.

Yes, I like Biden, too. Hope he wipes the floor with the Ayn-Rand Cross Dresser.

Shirlee in NC said...

Yep--Brenda and I both to like to vote on The Day--seems more patriotic--or something. Although I am surely glad that there are other choices out there.

puddle said...

Too much reading today, maybe, but Dear Godde! I am so appalled by the "men" the rePublicans are planning on voting for. And their reasons. I am disturbed that people I otherwise have liked talk/think/feel like this. Ack ick ack!!!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

well I like voting in person too but have had too many days lately that I could not have gotten away for 10 minutes to vote or anything else so decided to make sure that I did vote! If I'm able on 11/6 I will go to the polls to drop off food for the foodshelf and if things are 'really good' I would like to give folks a ride to the polls.

Shirlee in NC said...

Jo--if "food for the foodshelf" means some food for poll workers--I thank You!

I did several elections local and national counting paper ballots in Palacios. I enjoyed it immensely. I got to read the names marked on the ballots, the other volunteers were the recorders. I really, really loved it--but it was a long, long day and we were always grateful for the good souls who brought in food.

Thank you for wherever the food is going.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

I guess you would call it a food bank Shirlee, but here we call them food shleves (think VT is a SMALL state, thus shelf vs bank!!) we collect food for the needy every time the polls are open in Burlington. there are big tables where we drop off food and also big buckets to put $$ donations in. many locals bring in homemade goodies for the poll workers, so everybody wins!

puddle said...

OUR voting place always smells like a banquet. Never determined if they bring it themselves, or others do, but it *always* smells lovely! (We vote in the firehouse/EMT training facility, and it has a terrific kitchen!)

I think Jo said elsewhere that they collect food for food banks on voting day. Isn't that a *great* idea. (And feeding poll workers is too -- my Mom did that for years and years and years!)

Jo_in_Vermont said...

lol~ shleves s/b shelves!!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

you got it, puddle!

Shirlee in NC said...

I intend to watch the VP debate--but I don't know how much of RYAN I can stomach.
I'm counting on Joe to take him to the mat! "Bless his heart"--old Texas all around blessing.

Shirlee in NC said...

I LOVE JOE. I cannot stand the smirky, self righteous Paul Ryan. I realize this is not the way to analyze a debate--but Joe is believable, he's been there and some.

So--that is for the record here--now I can go back and see
what is the word.

The new untested moderator was superb--the old guys can start moving out any day!

Shirlee in NC said...

Now, good night all. Tomorrow, Brenda and I leave about 1 PM --destination a Hampton Inn near Staunton, VA. Purpose--meet Puddle and maybe Kiddle for lunch!!!!!!

puddle said...

Line's been awful today/tonight. As was radio reception, ack.

Still: NO DOUBT JOE WALKED AWAY WITH THE GOLDEN GLOVES!!

The young whipper snapper whipped and snapped, and sounded like a list of talking points!

puddle said...

Bill Maher✔
@billmaher

Hello 9 1 1? There s an old man beating a child on my tv.
~Bill Maher tweet

whitznd said...

I'm waiting for the fact checkers to check in tomorrow

Shirlee in NC said...

Love the Bill Maher!

Pat said...

Good Morning,

I'm glad for Joe Biden's feistiness, his calling out "Malarkey"!

When he countered Ryan's insistence on outlawing abortion except in cases of rape, incest, or the mother's health, Biden reminded him that this was America and we don't impose our beliefs on people and he personally doesn't.

When Biden talked about the GM rescue, and Ryan talked about Romney offering to pay two boys' (who were paralyzed) college educations, I know there must be a name for that rhetorical device. Well, Mr. Romney you'd let 800,00 workers be out of jobs, but we should extoll your paying for college educations for two people when you make 20 million dollars a year and don't give a fig for nearly a million people?

God help us.

Good Morning, folks. The Fern Lake wildfire, about 14 miles from us still out of control, 600 plus acres. What a summer this has been.

puddle said...

You know? The whole of the right wing is *pathetic*. . . . .

http://www.mediaite.com/online/joe-biden-wins-debate-in-cnbc-poll-still-losing-in-fake-breitbart-reported-ap-poll/

puddle said...

Shirlee ~~ traveling mercies!!

Pat, yes, odd and *taxing* summer for you, Phil, and lots of others. ♥

Still feeling very good about what a member of my age cohort did last night. That said, NO, I don't think for a second that Obama would have been allowed to get away with it. HIS street talk would have pushed a whole lot of buttons that do not need pushing. The Irish are part of our honored culture. Black are not yet, but a good stretch. Still, I think there's a good take away for the president if he can see it: humor can take you places that earnestness can not. . . .

puddle said...

BY a good stretch. . . .

puddle said...

Black are not yet, but a good stretch. --> Blacks are not yet, by a good stretch. Proofreaders' Devil, lol!

whitznd said...

Burts take. He'll be writing a piece each day and I can post here if folks are ok with it.

http://nexilist.com/2012/10/12/biden-ryan-debate-thoughts/

Don't know how to make live. :o( Sorry.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

love it! thank you Barb and please thank Burt for me! xo

puddle said...

http://nexilist.com/2012/10/12/biden-ryan-debate-thoughts/

puddle said...

Nicely done, Barb! Hugs for Burt!

This is a beaut!! http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/paul-ryan-debate-joe-biden-13626962

puddle said...

Shirlee and Brenda arrived in Staunton! Already had dinner! I am So excited! Love Deaniac Meetings Up. . . . Thank you again, Howard, for bringing us all together!

puddle said...

http://www.examiner.com/article/fox-news-pushes-conspiracy-theory-that-joe-biden-was-drunk-during-the-debate

They're *really* wanting to say that their guy can be bested by a drunk, eh?

Jo_in_Vermont said...

oh puddle that cracked me up! hahahahaha!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

happy travels Shirley and Brenda! so happy that you all got to meet up! I hope it isn't as cold there as it is here! low 30s tonight here near the lake but other areas are going down into the 20s! there will be frost on the pumpkins tonight!

puddle said...

Nope, meeting is tomorrow!

Kiddle's arriving just now!!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

you know, one of these days I'm gonna try to stop using quite so many exclamation points!!!!!

puddle said...

Lol! I've been working on it for *decades*. . . . !!!!!

listener said...

Thinking of you! Have a crummy cold and am working about double my usual hours this week. Loved ones going downhill fast. Will come by when I can. XOXOXXX

puddle said...

Jo, have a *terrific* time at your reunion tonight!! (!!)

Jo_in_Vermont said...

thank you puddle, I surely will! I am also very excited to have a 'sleepover' with my almost 3 and almost 6 year old neices - YES neices, my younger brother started his family at 44! they are so much fun and we will have a great time! my nephew is only 5 months old and I haven't seen him much so I hope to get some good bonding time with him! the sun is out, I am getting things together and it's going to be a beautiful day!

puddle said...

Ya. We have sun, and it's warming nicely! The littles are always so grand. Alas, none of my grands are little anymore. Have to wait for the ggrands, lol!

Been getting ready for THE luncheon date in stages. Will be leaving sometime within the hour. I am SO excited about meeting DFA's longest time lurker, grin!

Kids out and up cleaning up the garden, and Beau's with him. His visits are such a treat for the Goobey.

puddle said...

Lovely lovely time with Ms Shirlee, and her exceeding sweet dotter. Turns out I've been mispronouncing Mrs. Rowe's wrong for 17 years, lol! It's not Rowe as in row yer boat, but Rowe, as rhymes wit' cow. . . .

I talked too much. I need to get out more, I think. But both are excellent listeners. And I got ma Shirlee hugs. A number in fact. And delivered a few.

I'm SO glad we were able to do this!

puddle said...

New Thread!!

Shirlee in NC said...

Brenda and I are just home a bit ago--and I am just catching up.
It was a wonderful, wonderful luncheon-and yes Brenda is a natural facilitator.

NO--Puddle did NOT talk too much--I could listen to her stories for a long time.

It is a wonderful--about 4 hour-- drive from GSO to Staunton Va. Through the NC Piedmont and gradually into the lovely, ancient Blue Ridge mountains. We had rooms on the front of the hotel--facing directly into the blue ridge--wonderful sunrise.

Everyone behaved in GSO while we were gone seems like!

I am so glad we could do this and feel immensely enriched.