Friday, October 5, 2012

Wise words... and there is no better time to revisit them!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” ~ Theodore Roosevelt

66 comments:

Jo_in_Vermont said...

Howard is first! He did an excellent job on CBS This Morning, this morning!

Pat said...

Hi Jo,

Sorry I missed him. I've been thinking of him lately, how much he engaged us with his energy, forthright analysis, and honesty.

To think that the party insiders and the media did him so much damage is a lesson in politics, how dangerous it is and how easily good people are undermined and damaged.

Can you elaborate on what he said this morning?

whitznd said...

yes! Report please!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

Pt I can do better than that!
CBS News) Mitt Romney's strong performance against President Obama in Wednesday's debate "did some damage," former Vermont governor and Democratic National Chair Howard Dean admitted Friday on "CBS This Morning." But on some of his positions, Dean added, the Republican nominee came off as "a guy who will say anything to be president of the United States."


"I thought the president did fine," Dean -- who ran for president in 2004 -- said. But, he conceded, "Mitt Romney was very aggressive, and they should have been prepared for that."


Mr. Obama's closest advisers, CBS White House correspondent Bill Plante said earlier in the show, weren't going to change the president's mind on his "real preference... to try to remain low-key." Still, Plante added, some Democrats fault the president for not having foresight that Romney was going to up his aggression. "Presidents are used to deference -- they are not used to people challenging them like that," he said.


Dean said he expects the president to be "much more aggressive" in future debates, but predicted Romney himself will be the source of his own undoing.


"The truth is, he's become totally untethered from everything he said before," Dean said. "He's moved all the way back to the middle from his extreme position in the primary." During the debate, President Obama mocked Romney for backing away from an aspect of his economic plan that would result in $5 trillion in tax cuts, largely for the wealthy.

Adding to his critique of what he considers Romney's lack of straightforwardness with voters, Dean stopped short of calling a Romney "a liar," but said, "he just manages to convince himself that any position is fine at the time...Romney says whatever he has to say and there's no core belief there."



"This final apology for the '47 percent' remark," Dean continued, "it really does look like a guy who will say anything to be president of the United States."



Dean also defended a less-than-eloquent comment by the vice president Thursday, when he told a Council Bluffs, Iowa crowd, "Yes we do" want a trillion dollar tax hike -- the result of allowing the Bush-era tax cuts to expire for Americans making over $250,000 a year. Dean said the attention drawn to the remark is nothing more than out-of-context "media hand-wringing."

Jo_in_Vermont said...

sheesh! PAT! and Barb! I cleaned my keyboard but some keys are still sticking!

Pat said...

Thanks, Jo. That's our Howard, straight and upfront, and able to see a variety of consequences. He's a gifted man and we still need him.

whitznd said...

Thanks so much, Jo! Yep, that's our Howard! Always the truth. Yes Pat, we do still need him!

Pat said...

This from my daughter-in-law, Julie. I think her comments are some of the best I have read. I asked her permission to post them.

"No doubt that any informed viewers would not be impressed with Romney last night, even if disappointed with Obama for not calling him out on the lies. I suspect he was advised to not engage Romney on the bait and no doubt, had Obama brought up Romney’s personal taxes, the 47%, or Bain, Romney would have had some snarky response that would have made Obama look like an ass or as an angry Malcolm X. I think Obama could have still done better, and I‘m not sure that his softer approach is what the masses seem to want – Americans don’t seem to respect intellectuals, they respect witty zingers, even when they come in the form of bold-faced lies. Sadly, as we saw in 2010, people seem not to care overly much about facts and are lazy in their political awareness and participation and vote emotion over policy. Like others have said, I agree that Obama won for substance and Romney won for dominating the conversation. Obama’s body language was terrible last night.



In fairness, it is pretty damn hard to debate someone that won’t stick with a position. You could see the frustration in Obama. I could win a debate if I could just talk out of my ass (pardon the crudeness) for 90 minutes, too. The Republican Party has already sold their party’s minions on the notion that Fact Checkers are part of the liberal machine and can’t be trusted, so I guess Romney wasn’t fearing the “morning after” too much – although he did say some things last night that should have pissed off his base (although, his base never liked him anyway). Let’s hope the swing voters and independents are not as stupid….but, given 2010, I am cynical about that. And frankly, I’m more worried about the House and Senate races than I am about the presidential."



-Julie

puddle said...



We're about ready for our first hard frost this weekend (20's), but snow's a ways away.

Am heart glad about the unemployment!!! And that it's so good! Seems like going over the numbers is so huge (from the eights to the sevens!) Just one more to go before the election.

Listening to bits of Obama's speeches yesterday: he truly does NOT do confrontation well. And I'm *glad* he didn't try during the debates. Less grating at a rally where everyone supports him. Mitt would have chowed down on it. . . .

puddle said...

Trooth is, I was WAY more worried about those numbers than the debate performance. So now I can relax and have a terrific weekend.

With only one week to go till the "magic meeting" for lunch with Ms. Shirlee and her Amazing Daughter!!! Wish the rest of ya'll were so close we could ALL do it!

And *love* these little nodes and eddies that Howard's created in all of our lives. . . .

puddle said...

Like to invite anyone who thinks that the job numbers, *four years* after becoming in charge are not "good enough" to take a look where we were those same four years after the 1929 Stock Market/economy crash. . . .



****************************************
New Right Wingnut Theory just crossed my facebook page: the Gubbmint cooked the books to make the Prez look good. . . .

http://www.businessinsider.com/jack-welch-obama-jobs-report-numbers-romney-2012-10

http://www.businessinsider.com/goldman-drops-the-neutron-bomb-on-people-who-think-the-unemployment-rate-was-cooked-2012-10?utm_source=sailthrusuggest&utm_medium=rightrail&utm_term&utm_content&utm_campaign=recirc

puddle said...

Nate, while urging caution:

To the extent there was a tempting nugget of information, it was from the Ipsos online tracking poll. That survey broke out results from interviews that it conducted after the debate, and found Mr. Romney trailing Mr. Obama, 43 percent to 48 percent, among those voters.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/05/oct-4-too-soon-to-gauge-impact-of-debate-on-polls/

puddle said...

Mitt Romney went from 46-51 unfavorable before the debate to 51-49 favorable after the debate. But he gained exactly nothing from independents and almost nothing from Democrats. His favorable numbers went up because Republicans loved his aggressive approach.

Obama's overall favorable numbers remained unchanged at 56-44. His numbers with Democrats also remained unchanged at 90-10. But he flipped a 46-54 deficit with independents to a 54-46 positive rating. The post-debate sample included fewer Democrats than the pre-debate sample, which helps explain why Obama's overall rating remained constant even as he did so well with independents.

Again, this is a single poll. But if these numbers hold up in other polls, it tells us that Obama actually won the debate with people in the middle who are what we call persuadable voters. It could be that people recognized that Romney was more aggressive and therefore assume he won the debate, but they weren't personally impressed. Republicans loved the debate because Romney got to use a bunch of their crazy talking points without the usual contradiction. It made them feel good to watch someone get away with that for a change and also to see someone be rude, arrogant and condescending to the president they love to hate. There's a real benefit to this for Romney. He energized his own troops. He gave them hope. He gave them a reason to keep working. He pulled a lot of people out of their apathetic stupor. Riling up the troops is important and will deliver votes to Romney. But it comes at a cost, too.

http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2012/10/4/19619/0039

Shirlee in NC said...

Just back from an afternoon walk and stops down Elm Street.

I love all the comments. I thought President Obama seemed quiet, but then thought NO--he is just letting Romney
hang himself. Which I think he did.

And Yep. one week from now Brenda and I will be on the road to W.VA--and ready for the Magic Meeting with Puddle.
If you all came we could have Meet-Up 3.0!

Amazing Daughter bringing in dinner tonight. As usual.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

Dear Ladies please read this piece about how Obama's debate performance was misread - there are some excellent observations - and analogies!

http://www.politicususa.com/obamas-critics-misread-president-obama-fail-understand-debate-strategy.html

Jo_in_Vermont said...

oh and please read the comments below the piece as well if you have time!

puddle said...

Pretty good read, Jo. About what I'd felt. And the first of the numbers coming in seem to show the same.

I remember during the convention that lots of peeps were disappointed at how subdued he was, and wanted a barn burner like Clinton's. . . . And it turned out they'd done *extensive* focus groups on that very subject, and he'd tested much better subdued. . . . And they went with their numbers instead of their guts. . . .

Mitt's got lotsa ol' Bush advisers, and it worked wit da boy wonder, so Howcum it don't work with the Robotron?. . . . . Obama's guys are *science* guys, and so far it's worked for them, long run, even if it seems to miss the rah-rah moments. . . .

Jo_in_Vermont said...

you have that right puddle! you and I and a few others were sayng this the night of the debate - including all of the ladies here.

I am a little concerned as you are about the increase in turn out now that things have ramped up - but you know they were going to find some way to do that in this last month, most likely wih Palin-like attacks to bring out every hater possible.

but I do really think that our peeps are going to turn out and the indies and those repubs who really do care about this country will turn out for him as well.

puddle said...

One thing I've learned about THIS election season, at least. Is overall, nationwide polls don't mean jack shoot. There are states where he's going to win 60, 70%, and same for Mitt. Averaging those in with states that are closer, and who have the electoral votes is crazy. And if you just look at battleground states, the polls for Obama are MUCH better than overall nationwide ones. . . . And I love Nate for doing the work. . . .

puddle said...

Pat, up at baby. . . .

If you find a revised version you like better, let know, and I'll replace it.

puddle said...

And I left a k out of your name, which blogger interface has been refusing to let me fix. Will, as soon's I can get back on.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

I've been thinking about changing to a different blog format but I haven't had the time to poke around to see my options. I would like to be able to add live links automatically - what features would you like and do you know of any good blogs formats, Ladies?

puddle said...

Well, Rich is on Wordpress, which adds live links, and if you're a "owner" (which pretty much everyone IS), you can do "smallish" pictures in the comments. Without TOO much trubble.

That said: I had a HELLISH six weeks getting on at all. So it's got some bugs. Might try it as a parallel to see if everyone can get on.

Becomming an owner or contributor means joining gravatar -- which I've been a member of for years. The sign in is co-equal: you sign into one, you've signed into the other.

Downside, for me, is that I can't get it out of the Narrow Column down the center mode, like I can this one (just scroll up my text/picture size, and it goes nearly full page wide)

Here's a link to the latest thread (where sea has honored you, lol!) ~~ http://fourthwayblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/03/the-real-debate/comment-page-1/#comment-666

Shirlee in NC said...

I am not a super computer person--but would add to Puddle's comments about WordPress. There is a local blog I like--but it's format seems restricted and some of the commenter's talk about
"weird bugs" with WordPress. I basically read and make fairly short comments when some of the far righties get out of control.
The owner taps them down sometimes--but I think likes also to
see how far out they are.

whitznd said...

I'm good with whatever folks decide. Just let me know where you are.

XOXO

Shirlee in NC said...

I love this, Jo--but then I just read, post and click on a link.

I am so glad Puddle and Deaniac are weighing in with their opinions on Rich's blog.

Shirlee in NC said...

sorry, Jo--it is typepad that the local blogger is using. the biggest problem I have with it is that each time you post you need to
decipher the cluster of almost undecipherable letters/ numbers.
Big pain and I think it may stop anybody with eye problems. I usually need to ask for a second or even third set before I can click Post!

puddle said...

Phil's new poem at baby

Pat said...

Hi Friends,

Thank you for posting from Rich's blog, Puddle. I'm glad you are there, and I thought that Deaniac wrote well when he talked of the importance of this election.

When Romney remarked that if he won, the Republicans would be taking back the Executive Branch (not his exact words), it was code in my mind for saying to the right wing, I may be moving to the center, but once I'm in, you'll have the power you want.

This election is about so much more than just the Presidency as Deaniac pointed out. It's the Supreme Court, infrastructure, fairness, separation of church and state, peace versus militarism, and inclusion.

And, thank you, Jo, for this blog. I felt my own reaction to HuJo who once again raised my ire with his remarks. Glad not to be in his purview.

And, thank you, Puddle, for posting my poem. I have been fussing with it for days, and with the revision that in my opinion is more logical, invokes more rhyme, according to David is blander. So, I'll stay with the one you posted.

It's interesting that like the Beat poets said, sometimes "first thought is best thought." Thank you for your generosity.

I like Phil's new poem too. I'll reread it several times.

It's cold here, snowy, overcast, dreary. I want to huddle in with a blanket over my lap.

I read the articles on the billionaires in The New Yorker. There's something so offputting about greed, arrogance, the entitlement that some very rich have. It's as if they are important, better than, because they are rich. Have we reduced humanity to a hoard of things and money?

I'm so hoping that people will not accept and adopt a value system based on money, which Romney represents.

Well, back to my book. Thank you for this forum, Jo, Puddle, Shirlee, Barb, Listener, and all.

Shirlee in NC said...

Now, goodnight folks--by this time next week Puddle and I will have had our Magic Meeting with Brenda making sure we have what we need--or she suspects we want--

Love you all and HD and BO!!!

listener said...

I'm AWOL again. Got calling hours to go to tomorrow out of state. :-(

An old friend died unexpectedly. So sad. He was 71.

And we might get a little snow tomorrow night:

Sunday Night
Overcast with a chance of rain in the evening, then partly cloudy with a chance of SNOW and a chance of rain. Low of 32F. Winds from the NNW at 5 to 10 mph shifting to the WSW after midnight. Chance of precipitation 50%.

I could use a little sunshine. So thanks for the Dean info, Jo!

Back when I can...

Pat said...

Good Morning,

Chill night last night, but sunshine today. Rasmussen poll shows Romney ahead by 2 points, 47-45 on my home page. Just astounding.

Phil's poem is beautiful, provocative, still thinking about it.

I posted my poem on our Storm Mountain Yahoo Group, Puddle, and gave you credit for posting and photo. Many compliments on the photo. People asked where it was taken. Thank you again.

Well, some work to do today.

Shirlee in NC said...

Chillier than I think it needs to be here in GSO--but heading back up during the week. Good day with Brenda--more than good actually!!!!

Stay well, stay warm--I am sorry about the bad news, Listener.

puddle said...

Got on this a.m. for about half and hour but lost my line and haven't been able to get back on, all day! The house is a bit cleaner than it otherwise would have been, and I got more sleep than I need. Hope it HOLDS for a while!!

Pat, this is the URL for the image.

http://www.rockymtnrefl.com/lavetapassautumn.jpg

This will give you the straight website, but don't know if that's the *page*. . . .


http://www.rockymtnrefl.com

We didn't get freezing last night, but did get cold, and has been chilly all day, and a hard frost tonight with a high in the forties tomorrow. . . .

Pat said...

Thanks, Puddle, for the link. I found the photograph. Everyone has commented on it.

Sorry about your line problems. That's so frustrating.

A funny photograph and one of Norman Rockwell's paintings, Thanksgiving, except that Mitt Romney and Ann Romney are serving Big Bird on the platter. I tried to copy it and post it, but I wasn't successful.

Well, good night. Glad you are here.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

Good morning Ladies! This is a great article about how women viewed the debate last week - and SHE knocks it out of the park!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brenda-peterson/mitt-romney_b_1940508.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003#slide=1598379

Shirlee in NC said...

Thanks for the link, Jo--saving it until the afternoon--routine
3 month check with the guy with the knife who worked on my tongue in May. Cold here today-jackets,wind and a few snow flakes :(

Jo_in_Vermont said...

Good luck at the Doc's! Brrr, dress warm for sure! It has been cooler and windy here for the past few days and it looks like 50s will be our high for most of this week. We've had unusually warm weather this fall, but I know it's autumn now that I smell a lot of woodfires in the neighborhood. I love that smell!

Pat said...

Morning Jo and Shirlee,

Thanks for the link, Jo. It was well said, prescient, I hope, and fits my perceptions exactly. I truly wonder if women and men are aware of the repressive attitudes of the republicans and Romney and Ryan. It's time women spoke up, brought their awarenesses and skills to governance in this country. Enough of the alpha male, aggression, repression, dominance. It's a different world and the planet is endangered as are our lives if we don't change our consciousness, values, and behavior.

Some have said, maybe this election will be the people's Road to Damascus. Could be. But, so much destructiveness (does anyone doubt that Romney et. al will privatize our public lands and resources, privatize NPR, etc?) and suffering. Could we listen carefully, think rationally and for the future, Romney should be defeated by huge margins.

Well, Shirlee, hope your doctor's visit goes well and you aren't too tired.

Have a good day, friends.

Oh, Puddle, the photo you posted with my poem was La Veta Pass in Colorado. We nearly bought a home there. It's on the Western slope.

puddle said...

No sleep till five. Think I'll go back to bed. . . .

Pat said...

Sweet sleep, Puddle. How essential it is.

puddle said...

37ยบ and doubt we're making it to the predicted 46ยบ! Rain, but no snow. Didn't freeze last night, spect it will tonight.

Shirlee in NC said...

Puddle--had a key sticking problem on my e-mail to you. Thanks for the link.

Doc is proud of his work. I told him that for the guys in line with knives he would be first--in time priority. He wasn't that pleased when I told him I wanted to run his suggestion about adding Mucinex to my list of meds to my internist before I started. EGOS! Ah!

whitznd said...

good on you Shirlee. It's always good to check with all docs before adding more meds to the mix.

Shirlee in NC said...

It was strange about the Mucinex--we stopped at our local pharmacy--it is non-prescription, but is kept behind the counter and need to show ID before you can purchase it. Apparently the druggies looking for an upper use it to mix with other things to get their high.

That could cause real problems with a
life-long, but controlled, seizure condition I have.



puddle said...

I got your email, Shirlee, stickey keys and all, lol!

Sure don't see why WE shouldn't check what is prescribed before going like little lambs to the slaughter. . . . I keep remembering that giant potassium pill prescribed for me just before I left the hospital last year -- a 13mm pill, when I only had about 5mm opening at the end of my esophagus. I would have been in some major danger if I'd taken them.

You think they'd be *grateful*. . . .

Turns out we were predicted snow this afternoon. If it happened, I sure never saw it. But it's surely *cold* and getting colder. . . . .

Shirlee in NC said...

I think some docs--not all--leave themselves open to potential lawsuits by NOT listening to their patients. Tomorrow I am dealing with the urology group by phone about their next scheduled
"procedure"--ain't gonna happen--too much trouble with the last one.

That incident with the potassium pill seems so scary.

puddle said...

Nite all! Under the wing. . . .

puddle said...

Pat? This it?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151062580458053&set=p.10151062580458053&type=1&ref=nf

Pat said...

You are wonderful,Puddle. Yes, that's it exactly; Norman Rockwell and Big Bird as Turkey dinner.

I'm discouraged, bothered, frazzled over the hyping of this election, the judgments, the duplicity, the aggressiveness. Character matters! Words mean! How the American people can even look at Romney as a viable candidate is disturbing to me. Is this the country I grew up in?

I'm ashamed of Romney's character: a liar, all about money as the only value, aggressive, demeaning. I can't imagine that Americans want someone like that to represent us at home and to the world.

And so I blather on. Overcast here, cold, maybe snow. We may go into Estes for errands and lunch at Smokin' Dave's Barbecue.

Hope you had a good night sleep, Puddle. Thanks for the photo.

puddle said...

Have to Thank Sharon (Specht) who found it on facebook. All I'd been able to get were various cartoons, and that wasn't what you were describing, lol!

Did sleep well: got my feet into boots and all warm about an hour before I went to bed. And they stayed warm all night. The reverse seems also to be true: if I go to bed with cold feet, there's not way to warm them up. All night. If nothing else is wrong, warm feet will let me sleep all the way through.

About Mitt. . . . I've hesitated to bring this one up, because I don't think it's universally true of members, but I have been there, to a degree. . . . http://www.mormonwiki.org/Lying_for_the_Lord#note-6 The whole subject is kind of fascinating for me, because I think we see in *near* history, and while the conflicting artifacts have not yet been disappeared, what likely happened in the early few hundred years of Christianity, Buddhism, and Islam, as well. Save me from anyone's true believers. . . .

The Church has jumped the shark with its missionary program. When *I* was in missionary prep in high school, the idea was to let the potential convert think it through, read, ask, be answered and be *convinced* before baptism. Then it was speeded up, and modeled more on the used car phenom. Was absolutely WOWed recently to discover they now push new investigators to make up their minds in TWO WEEKS!! The new members are then expected to be "supported" by their ward members, and kept from falling away as they learn more. . . .

puddle said...



Mitt Romney has delivered a lot of dishonest speeches in recent months, but Monday’s address on foreign policy may be the most mendacious yet.

It was expected that he would distort President Obama into a caricature of Jimmy Carter. But it was astonishing to watch Romney spin a daydream of himself as some latter-day George Marshall, bringing peace, prosperity, and hope to a chaotic world—this from a man who couldn’t drop in on the London Olympics without alienating our closest ally and turning himself into a transcontinental laughingstock.

To the extent that Romney recited valid criticisms of Obama’s policies, he offered no alternatives. To the extent he spelled out specific steps he would take to deal with one problem or another, he merely recited actions that Obama has already taken.
Advertisement
Click Here!

Let’s go through the text, point by point.


http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2012/10/mitt_romney_foreign_policy_speech_at_the_virginia_military_institute_was_the_most_dishonest_one_he_has_delivered_yet_.html

whitznd said...

that was an excellent article. Romney has no alternate solutions for what he thinks Obama did wrong. AND anything he did suggest, Obama is already doing.

Shirlee in NC said...

I am not sure who is the scariest--Romney or Ryan. I think perhaps Ryan because he is younger and has potentially more time to be around.

He is so unsmiling--and "I Am Right" look--it seems there is no humanity behind the suit/mind.

Shirlee in NC said...

Jo, how is your beautiful kitty doing?
I click the photo quite often to admire
him.

puddle said...

Wonderful rant by a gorgeous woman on the Mitt thread at my dating site:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ohhhh believe me....I GET IT! And because I DO "get it", I will cast my very FIRST vote for a Democrat (Obama) next month.
The most problematic thing for ME with Romney's hatred toward the working class IS...the he (and all Republicans) LUMP everyone together in a big pot and call us all rotten fish.
Just 20 short years ago, I ranked in the TOP 5% of wage earners...and was PAYING....a whopping 51% of my income in Federal Taxes. I also paid 7.65% in Social Security (retirement and HI combined) and my employer....under MY Social Security number, paid another 7.65%. I paid Ohio State taxes...I think it was something ridiculous like...close to 8%, and then I also paid "city income taxes" of 1.5%, for a grand total of about 68% of my "income". What I have not yet stated IS, that I had to work ACTUAL, 85-90 HOURS per WEEK (straight time) and then the portion of that over 40 hours was 1 1/2 time ...except the Sundays and Holidays at double time...which added an additional 30 to 40 hrs of "paid time". So, in order to take home $1000 per week (which in 1985 was a LOT of money). Taking into consideration that my 30 minute per day "lunch" was off the clock (unpaid time) and my driving time, and a little time to throw some laundry into the washer/dryer....IF I managed 5 hrs of sleep...it felt like I was on "vacation".
MANY of my co-workers refused to work overtime because they were happy with the $400 a week pay (approximate net) for working just 40 hrs....and always stated that they weren't going to work any more hours just to give their money to the government....to spend on welfare. Today...these folks draw the SAME pension amount which I do, as that amount is based on 2 hours of their average hourly rate at retirement, times the years of service. (an average would be....$48 (2 hrs)x 30(years)= $1440 per month "pension". It doesn't matter that in my 30 years...I ACTUALLY WORKED almost 50 years worth of hours. And....ya know, I'm perfectly OK with that....because I figure...I got "mine" while I was working.....I earned more than twice as much as "they" did, saved more, and HAD more for those 30 years. I would always say to these guys, that "I WISH they would TAX me $1,000,000 a year....because instead of taking home $100K a year....I'd have been taking $300K per year.

puddle said...

(cont'd)
My point IS....that I was HAPPY....well, maybe not so much "happy" as "content"...that I had the ABILITY to WORK and to earn enough to supply my family with a nice lifestyle.
BEFORE 1987, when Regan eliminated the "consumer interest deduction" (which by the way I personally blame for the 2007 housing crisis) I always figured that I had only 2 choices. I could either give that 68% of my pay to the government in taxes....OR....I could give it to the bank in interest payments, and reduce my AGI at the end of the year....and get a little bit (of MY OWN tax money) back at the end of the year. This did NOT mean that "I DIDN'T pay Income Taxes....it just meant that I might get a little of the $40-50K I'd paid in....back....lowering my "effective tax rate" to a more "reasonable"....40%

ISN'T THIS what ALL businesses DO??? Seriously....ISN'T a corporations GOAL always to take every advantage of the "tax system" to LOWER their adjusted gross income so that THEY pay little...if ANY taxes???? HOW THEN....can Mr. Romney, or any other so called "capitalist" place those people who operate under a "business model" to reduce their own personal tax rates in the SAME KETTLE as they do those who have NEVER worked...because they were "lazy"....or those who were disabled and couldn't work? WHERE IS THE INCENTIVE Mr. Romeny? I WISH you Republicans had TOLD me that my working my butt off DIDN'T COUNT for ANYTHING when I got old.....UNLESS....I had been a banker, or a CEO...who WAS always paying less taxes (by percentage of income) because THEY had access to "write offs" that I never could afford.

I FAITHFULLY voted straight Republican for 42 YEARS!!!! I DRANK the Kool-Aid...and I BELIEVED that capitalism was an honorable economic system which rewarded those who were WILLING to WORK HARD and to take ANY job! Bill Gates was my freaking HERO! I bashed my own Union when they suggested that IF I would stop accepting overtime (which helped the company more than it helped ME) that the company would HAVE to HIRE more workers.

HOW DARE YOU, Mr. Romeny....toss ME into the same bucket of 47% of people who "don't pay income taxes", when ALL I have done my entire life is listen to the Republican propaganda and TRY to emulate YOU!!!!
I am RETIRED...after working my A$$ off for 38 YEARS and YES.....the income taxes that I pay during the year, I get back when I file my returns...so yeah...I pay $0 income taxes....and I'm one of the 47% that YOU and all Republicans have such contempt for...but I USED to be ONE OF YOU. Halleluah....I've seen the light...and I am NO LONGER one of YOU.

I have an ancient T-Shirt.....a pile of crap, and it says....."Your Sh1t is MY bread and butter". I spent 30 YEARS wading in crap, cleaning out sewers, sucking out grease traps in restaurants(and you haven't lived until you've done THAT particularly nasty chore), my face covered in black yuk from grinding and welding on steam lines, carrying cylinders of gas weighing 127 lbs...when I myself weighed only 123 lbs on my shoulder, working in EXTREME heat and cold, working with chemicals that kill people, removing asbestos...etc. HONORABLE WORK Mr. Romney...the KIND that YOU and ANN have NEVER dreamed in your spoiled rotten lives of ever doing...and YOU have the nerve to condescend to ME that "I AM a leech on society"??? You have NEVER done an "honest days work" in your whole life!!!!

puddle said...

(cont'd)

Have you ever heard the old saying...."too many Chiefs and not enough Indians"??? THAT is what a CAPITALIST society was SUPPOSED to be built on! To MAKE a Capitalist society WORK.....it MUST have people who are CONTENT...and COMPETENT to DO THE WORK that you arrogant, lazy slugs are neither capable, or WILLING to do! I NEVER asked to earn as much as a CEO earns...and I NEVER begrudged them the salary they make. But I certainly did NOT expect to hear the regime that *I* voted for...and supported, and defended my whole life to turn around and stab me in the back because I was CONTENT and COMPETENT to keep your freaking toilets working!

WHY should I encourage any one of my grandchildren to follow in MY footsteps and become a journeyman pipefitter/plumber? WHY should I tell them to work hard and do their job WELL....no matter what that job may be? WHY Mr. Romney? When I KNOW....as you have spoken from your own mouth that the ONLY "work" which will be appreciated by YOU and other Republicans are those of White Collar CRIMINALS!

HOW DARE YOU claim to be a Christian (Mormon)? YOU and all other Republicans talking out of both sides of your mouths, pick and choose WHAT parts of the Bible suit your own agenda, but you IGNORE the essence of what it MEANS to BE a Conservative Christian.

puddle said...

Wouldn't it be just SO nice if Ryan lost BOTH the Veep AND his house seat??

puddle said...

Had completely talked myself out of going to town; was just going to make a quick run to the local store. After I was in the car, it hit me, that that was just *crazy* EVERYTHING was going to cost MORE.

So I went to town.

Pretty day, and cold to cool. Never made it over 50ยบ. Lots of trees turned, but still not much red. The Virginia Creeper was, of course, but the Dogwood was kind of muted. A few clumps of ox eye daisies, and banks and banks of lovely blue/lavender autumn asters. And the fields still very very green. I think Ma Nature is confused, lol!

Shirlee in NC said...

That would be the icing on the cake, Puddle.

Thanks so much for the post of the hard working woman--amazing story--fine ending switching from
R. to D.

Pat said...

Estes Park was sunny, warmer. We're in a cloud: chill, gray, wet, dim.

Thanks, Puddle, for the posts. Now Reuters is calling the race a dogfight, and still the constant requests for money.

I have a friend who said she simply can't engage; it's too upsetting. I'm feeling that way too. How, how on earth can anyone think Republicans have anything to offer anyone but their own wealthy, lying, manipulating selves. As David said, they've been lying since Reagan.

Well, off for some popcorn and TV.

puddle said...

She IS amazing, lol! And, really, is gorgeous, too. . . .

puddle said...

Gosh! I've managed to be on almost 12 straight hours without being disconnected, or having to disconnect myself because the line is so low information. *Maybe* they really DID work on it? Blessing in any case. . . .

Got my boots on, so feetsies still warm. Gonna sleep good tonight (sez here).

Jo_in_Vermont said...

New thread!

Shirlee in NC said...

Does anyone here really understand the 'chained CPI' concept?
Have read a couple of articles pulled up on Google--but each seems to have its own interpretation depending on the source, of course :)