We have nasty colds. It's all winter's fault. Fogged over, snow falling, temperature in the 20s. Winter feels like a penance, but life is so easy in comparison to what it must have been a hundred years ago.
A memoir column from this week's Nederland Mountain-Ear, the son of a miner marvels at electricity: no more odors of coal oil or gas, the flick of a switch and light. Yes.
My heart goes out to you, Pat, in the White Desert. I do agree about the relief of this being easier times. But I also recommend a field trip to a year-round Greenhouse! We have one here and they even serve lunch in the Greenhouse, by the indoor waterfall, with green growing things all around. It cheers me up like nothing else, and I save it for when I feel lowest in winter.
Wouldyoubelieve: they sent the bookcases, but forgot to send the shelves? So the cases are being installed, but we can't put books back until later this week. Looks like we won't be opening until a week from tomorrow!
Oh, our poor book-starved patrons. Time to create a book mobile? Or maybe folks could call in their orders and we'll meet them at the door? LOL!
It's a good thing our cards are good at all the nearby libraries too.
One of those memory moments brought to you by the nose happened to me in China, my first summer. We were walking from the guest house at Beidaihe down to the beach, and suddenly! the smell of winters, long long gone: They were heating the water for post beach showers, with *coal*--hadn't smelled it since I was nine or ten, when we, and every house on our block, switched to natural gas furnaces. The old coal rooms, washed and painted became "fruit rooms" where one kept home canned fruit and veggies.
Later that winter, I smelled it all the time: everyone in the city heated and cooked with coal. Never could quite believe how BLACK the water got when you washed anything: hair, you, clothing.
Still the white desert, and even more than the green, I miss the sun. Colorado has 300 days a year of sunshine, and when we have days of no sun, we get cranky.
My grandfather was known as Coal Oil Bill because he cleaned the coal oil lamps in his college dormitory, working his way through medical school.
I never knew him because he died in his early 50s. The x-ray machine that he was using on a woman's broken leg shorted out, and he pushed her away and took the voltage himself.
My mother was at Marygrove College in Detroit and received a telegram telling her to come home immediately as her father was ill. At the train station in Chicago, on the front page of the Tribune was the story of Dr. William LeMire executed by an x-ray machine. She told me she fainted.
Memories, how they reach us from far away and in people we are connected to.
Ohhh, Pat. Your poor dear mother! And your grandfather was a true hero, to save his patient with his life. Too young. Far too young.
If you can't get one of those sun lamps for these dark days, maybe put some twinkle lights up around your living room. We keep our window greens up until Candlemas, and our wreath until the first day of Spring. Next year, we are thinking, we will get an excellent quality artificial tree. We could decorate it for Christmas, then at Epiphany we could redecorate it for Epiphany season with maybe all stars and snowflakes. :-)
Snowed here all day and I had to drive to town and back. What usually takes a half hour was more like an hour and a half! The roads *weren't* that bad, but enough folks were driving 20-25 in 40 and 50 zones that all one could do was be patient.
That's wonderful news of Ally. The caring, the love, the hope, the skill that has gone into so many years of illness, and now she's cancer free, hopefully for the rest of her life.
Thank you for the news. We've still got awful colds here, so am resting a lot, drinking Emergen C with 1000 ml of vitamin C. Snowing again. I thought a few minutes ago, I'm back in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan: dark skies, snow, cold. Oh well.
Awww, Pat, I wish I could make you a pot of tea and cook dinner for you. ♥
Today I had my first Tai Chi session with this new class and it's going to work out nicely. It uses a form that has been altered slightly from the original, to make it a little easier for people who have arthritis. (I don't, but I like the gentleness.) The space we meet in is the nave of a modern little church, with the chairs set to one side. Picture: light wood and white walls, large windows with rounded tops, a simple altar, and views of the mountains beyond. Ahhhhhhhh.
Got down to -9.1F here last night, up to 2F today, currently -8.8F, and we're headed down to -15F tonight. The sun was bright on the sparkly snow all day, and it's was so incredibly beautiful outside!
Ah, Bah Humbug on cold weather! Finally went to the dermatologist yesterday for an outbreak around the outside of my face. Happens every year since I moved away from the warm coastal water! Involves my bad immune system and this time they are suspecting an Infection. Culture will be back on Friday. Until then special shampoo, facial soap, general antibiotic and small dose of cortisone. I feel a bit like Pat --like being back in Michigan! Love you all!
Bright blue, nearly cloudless sky today. Sun makes a difference.
Thank you, Listener. You are a dear.
Shirlee, thoughts your way. I hope the culture shows no infection.
Woke at 2 AM, stuffed up, throat sore, got up at 3:30 AM and slept in my chair in the living room. I feel a little better now. I tell myself, patience, rest, and appreciation for our good lives.
I'm reading a book of autobiographical essays, Animal, Mineral, Radical by BK Loren. She lives in Boulder, Colorado, and I'm enjoying the places she includes in her narrative essays.
I've read that memoir sells more than fiction today, and I'm not surprised. With memoir there's a sense of real, of truth about individual lives that I think our culture craves.
Well, take good care of yourselves. Every day can be a new day.
Today!!! The National Nurse Act of 2015 was introduced by Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-TX) and Rep. Pete King (R-NY) into the 114th Congress!!
If you want to show support, you are invited to call the offices of Eddie Bernice Johnson (202-225-8885) and Pete King (202-225-7896). All you need to say is your name, state, and you are calling to thank Rep. Johnson or King for introducing The National Nurse Act of 2015. All calls are noted and appreciated.
Oh Shirlee, 50s and sunny sounds lovely! I think I'll have to wait a bit longer for that, but the bit more of daylight each day and some incredible sunsets are keeping my spirits up as we get thru this coldest bit of winter.
Glad to hear that Terri is doing so well with her legislation!
"listener--did you get the shingles meds/doctor talk straightened out?"
Thanks for wondering, puddle!!
Not yet. That visit is this Friday at 11:20am. Bill is coming with me. I could really wish she had worded it as: "If it's the right thing to do, I will of course continue to prescribe, but I'd like us to discuss some alternatives." That would be so less tension producing than: "I want you to stop taking the medication; let's discuss alternatives."
I've been doing my homework. I talked with my pharmacist and he says there are three meds used for this and there is (still) no cure. The first one created isn't used much anymore because it only lasts about 5 hours in your body, so you have to take it 4-5 times a day (and night). The one I take lasts 16 hours and the other one is similar. So that means there are only two viable medications and the one I'm taking works fine. He knows of no other alternative…!!
Happy for good news on health problems. Hope you can talk some sense into your doc about the shingles med Listener. Curious as to what the alternatives are? Let us know. There is a collective memory on this blog about aging and its problems that is wonderful in its variety. Good thing we all have different basic problems!!!
Have the book shelves arrived yet, Listener?
Looking forward to Mr. Obama's SOTU-- he is laying out bits and pieces ahead of time. Love to all.
Yay, Barb, and Jo, and Pat!! And fingers crossed for listener and Shirlee!
And Shirlee, you're sure right about the differences!!
Our long range forecast is chilling, but not too froze, lol!
Nancy dropped off a bag of avocados, three hunks of triple creme brie, and two dozen (free range, organic) eggs. Kinda like heaven in this corner of Sugar Grove.
And just now, the sun's out for a minute, in my favorite winter scene: steel blue cloud/sky, sunlight in the middle making the sycamore trunks flame white.
Glad you are all here. Beautiful day, almost 60 degrees, sunny.
Still have a cold, but we'll see. Maybe it will be better tomorrow. I talked to my sister on the phone just now. There's something special about hearing the different perspectives of our experiences. There's a kindness and compassion, I think, that comes with having lived.
Barb!! I'm so happy for you!! {{{ ♥ }}} Here's to a healthy year ahead and an even better year next year! Yeeeaaaahhhhhh!
Thanks for all the kind comments. Everything I'm waiting on happens tomorrow. Bill and I are meeting with my doc at 11:20am. I have no idear how long that will take, as it's a consult. I have printed out a lot of info about recurrent shingles and I hope that helps make my case. If all else fails, I will ask to be referred to a specialist (or two), such as an immunologist (I already have one, but haven't been in years) and if necessary an infectious disease specialist, again. I think if a specialist is willing to agree with what I understand, my family doc will bow to it. But prayers and good vibes are greatly appreciated! I have found no trace of a clue online as to what other alternatives exist. It will be … interesting.
The bookshelves arrive at the Library in the morning and will be installed, hopefully by 1pm, when we staffers are supposed to arrive to put books onto them. Depending on how my doc visit goes, the Library may be the last place I'm going to feel like being. Especially after tonight's annual Library meeting and budget vote. The budget passed, but it was only tonight that I learned the reason that staff didn't get a raise this year. Each year I've been there, staff has received at least a small cost of living raise. This year it's NONE. And why? Because they gave some extra hours to the Head Clerk and she now qualifies for BENEFITS!!! So all the money for staff raises is going to the Annoying Head Clerk! That's the last straw. If I weren't already planning to exit, I'd have been ready tonight. Egad!
I just say my doc and she *is* renewing the anti-viral med, and she is sending me on to an infectious disease specialist. Doctors are scientists and they will feel better if they can have lab confirmation that what I have is shingles (zoster) rather than something else. But neither is she recommending that I allow myself to get a full blown case of shingles just so they can culture it. So we'll see what the specialist recommends. I think it's basically that I'm an unusual case, which makes doctors uncomfortable and greatly curious. I'd rather not become a guinea pig, but if I happen to get a shingles rash, despite best efforts to avoid it, I'll let them culture it. One thing that was interesting is that I completely blanked on having seen the Immunologist again three years ago! I sat there and said I didn't see her then, but my doc read me the immunologist's report! Ha! How does the mind work?
So, there we are. And I'm off to the Library for a physical workout. Heh.
Oh, dear, and LOL! We libruls just got insulted on one of the political threads at my dating site. The insult, new to me, is absolutely delicious!! SCIENCY LIBERALS. How NOT to love such a cognomen?
Asked him if that would make them Cargo Cult Conservatives?
Wouldyoubelieve we arrived at 1pm today to start stocking the new Library shelves with books, but ... there are still no shelves!!? They missed their truck connection in Philly by one hour. The company said they could have them here by Monday…!! Our Director said they could have them here by tomorrow morning, thank-you! So they should arrive in Burlington tonight, then be delivered tomorrow morning at 9:30am. The person who has to install them has to drive up from CT tonight and his company is paying for him to stay overnight tonight. So we are gathering at 11am tomorrow to *finally* stock the shelves (she said, hopefully)!!
Beautiful day here, 60 degrees, sun, and now some wind coming up. Yes, Colorado weather is crazy, Jo.
Listener, I'm glad you will be finishing up at the library. It doesn't sound productive to deny staff cost of living bonuses and to give one member more hours. What are they thinking? And the shelves, well, they'll be there or they won't.
I'm glad that you are assertive, Listener, with respect to shingles. I think I mentioned that I argued with my obstetrician gynecologist about hormone therapy. It made me ill, and she kept insisting. I refused finally and remember the incident as unpleasant. We do need to stand up for our own bodies and what we know of them.
Today, I feel almost human again. This nasty cold may be abating. I wonder what we can do in winter to promote good health. It seems to be a time of greater vulnerability and illness.
Will be starting infusion of a new heavy-duty chemo drug in just a bit that can cause some scary/dangerous infusion reactions. I would gratefully accept any good/positive thoughts and/or prayers that I may come through okay. Please know how much I appreciate them and you.
Don't know this lady--but good thoughts.... Listener, I agree with Pat--something wrong at your library. Is there a board of directors you could appeal to?
Looks to be a lovely blue sky 50 degree temp day! Yahoo, time for a walk down Elm street!
Feeling rested after a good nights sleep. Sleep does wonders for one's body.
One small hiccup. Dr. told me to stay on the blood regulating med (Eliquis, changed from warfarin) for three months and that I didn't need to take the metropolol any more. Boy was she wrong! Thursday night at our meeting, into fib. After about an hour and a half, finally settled down.
Friday morning, after breakfast, fib again so I called to find out if it was ok to take the fast acting metropolol. She said yes, but not to do so yet but to await her call back. Unfortunately she didn't bother to tell the dr that I needed an answer right away as her idea of right away was some six hours later after I called back and complained.
Then she said it was ok to take the 24 hour stuff. When I mentioned that I was told NOT to take it, she checked my chart and said with great surprise, "My! It's completely removed from your chart!" She was surprised as she explained that I would be on it for the same 3 months as the Eliquis.
Fortunately, I get to see the Dr. on Monday so will be able to get to the bottom of the mystery.
Puddle, was Terri Cain that lovely black lady that lived in Japan (I think it was) when we were at the DeanFest in San Diego? If not, I remember posts, but do not actually remember a person as I may not have actually met her. But please send along my best wishes for her.
Nah, that would be Terri MacMillan, lol! Bet you did meet her--she *lives* in San Diego. . . . Slight, brown hair. She blogged over at HEP, early. She has one autistic son, and one adventurer son. She pretty much stopped blogging a few years ago when the cancer (head/neck) became rather time consuming.
And jeepers, Barb--hope you've got the meds issue cleared. That's really scary!
Jo, it's funny how often my brain goes to jc, and heart.
While passing the town cemetery: Grandad: "Hey, maybe we should stop and see where Snowflake Bentley is buried." Grand Ivy: "We're not going to dig him up. We're just going to look at the label."
This is the follow on to a year ago when Grandad mentioned that he'd heard that Snowflkae Bentley is buried in this cemetery, and suggested we stop and have a look. To which Grand Ivy responded, "What do you mean 'have a look'?"
Yikes, Barb. Good for you getting an explanation from your doc. My goodness. I think the only thing we can do is keep a detailed notebook of all our appointments, doctors names and info, and what was decided and why. I'm sending you power vibes for Monday! Remember that it's MLK, Jr. Day.
The Library is all done and ready to open tomorrow!! Wow!
I work 3-8pm on Tuesdays, but tomorrow will be different. We got word tonight that Eldest's wife's grandmother is in the ICU and not expected to live. So change of plans: I will meet Eldest at the airport tomorrow (he is flying out to a TaeKwon Do event) to pick up granddaughter, since her school is closed tomorrow for some reason. It's a bad time for him to be going, but he's a high mucky muck so has to help run the event. He returns next Tuesday.
The Library Director will work in my stead for the first two hours. Then I might need to go in for an hour and a half. If so, Mah*Sweetie will come home early. We'll make it work.
Dang, the only picture I have of the DeanFest does not include a picture of Teri. Lots of the usual suspects though! Such a wonderful weekend. But you didn't manage to get in that picture, Puddle and I know that you and Edwin were there.
Interesting that I seem to go into fib after a nice warm cup of coffee. Or eating. Shoot. I took my readings from this mornings episode (10 min apart, first 168, second 85). As the nurse was looking at them, she said, "Interesting, this looks more like flutter." Sigh, that's where I started out on this wild goose chase. they were going to fix the flutter, but a side affect would be fib.
Oh, well, have to wait for it all to actually heal up now and I should be ok.
So are you snowed in, Listener? or is it just an inconvenience? Glad it seems warmer for you, Puddle.
Looking forward to the SOTU tonight, and I feel confident that the Prez will do us proud with his logic, vision, and honesty.
I saw the photos of the library on your facebook page, Listener. I enjoyed them, glad that everything is up and running, and I share your appreciation of open spaces in libraries.
Barb, thoughts your way, hoping that things stabilize.
We went to the doctor yesterday. These colds have barraged us. I can't ever remember getting up at 2 in the morning to go downstairs and sleep in a chair because of a sore throat and congestion. So we have amoxicillin, hoping that in a few days we'll see improvement. I'm so used to mostly feeling good that I make a very bad patient. But, everything teaches, and it gives me a sense of what all of us humans experience at some point, pain, frustration, and hoping for healing.
Beautiful day today. Have little energy, slept for a good part of it, but did take Molly for her walk.
Just poking around waiting for SOTU. Prez has come up with some good stuff. Free Community College, open internet. I have one grandson whose dearest hope was that President Obama would "wire up the whole country." We may just get it.
Healthy wishes to all especially Barb and Pat just now. Glad your library is back in order, Listener. I am facing unloading three bookcases so the restoration people can replace a window in my bedroom on Thursday. Puddle, that would be on the south side of the building--the one towards the railroad tracks. Apparently the four or so windows on this side need re-restoration. Has been 30 some years since this lovely old building was saved, restored and putti new use. Love it. And you all!
I didn't end up going to work today, so I don't yet know how the new look was received by patrons. I was home taking care of our Vermont granddaughter (age 7) because her school was not in session today, but her mother's grandmother had a major stroke last night and is in the ICU, not expected to live. :-( She is 93 and unconscious, except that she still managed to pull our her IV. I wonder if that was a request. Her living will is to have no major steps taken. DIL says that if her grandmother doesn’t respond in the next two days, they will take her off life support and let her go.
Meanwhile our son (Grand's Daddy) is in Orlando, FL running a TaeKwon Do event. He returns Monday. We expect to have Grand here most of this weekend...unless she has a memorial service to attend.
Grand and I spent some of our day together making lasagna, salad and chocolate chip cookies, for her to take home for dinner. I wanted her to feel empowered, and have a way to do something to help, while she is feeling so sad and helpless about her great grandmother, and her mother's absence. I love that little girl tons!
Barb, that sounds incredibly frustrating…that the treatment plan before now didn't solve what you set out to do. I hope you see more and more improvement now. Please keep us posted as you see changes.
6" of snow could never snow us in, in Vermont. It would take about 3-5ft to keep us home for a day or two. When it snows, the roads are plowed hour by hour and even our driveway gets plowed every time 6" of snow falls. If it's going to be icy, quite often sand and salt are used on the roads before and during storms.
That doesn't mean nothing goes wrong. A heavy snowfall can take down power lines. Icy storms take down trees. And messy roads can lead to accidents if people aren't extra careful. We have a saying here, "With ice, all bets are off." There are times when it just makes sense not to travel for a little while. Yesterday morning, during the storm, a 78 year old woman lost control of her car on an icy stretch of road and crashed head-on into an SUV being driven by a 55 year old man. Both died. The man's 28 year old son survived. It could have gone better, too, as none of them were eating seatbelts!! When I was a chaplain at the medical center, I saw what a difference seatbelts make. No one gets to ride in my car without wearing one.
It is possible to make good choices and "live long and prosper" in Vermont.
A headline I saw this morning says "Obama Gets His Swagger Back." I didn't think he had really lost it, but has learned there is no way to compromise with this bunch of Repubs. So, go for it B.O.!
Nasty skin problem clearing up--special soaps etc. Hope things are stable:) for all! Active day here at 216. Too large and heavy refrigerator is cleaned out by Brenda and taken away by the maintenance man. New smaller one to be delivered this afternoon. Brenda will be back to re-load. Helper Lael will be by soon to help unload about 300 books from cases in the bedroom, fold up the cases and get them out of the way for the window restoration people. Looking forward to the new, non air leaky window. But, will surely be glad when it is done. Stay well and happy, ladies. Love to all.
Wow, Shirlee, that is a big day you're having! We have had a small refrigerator for about 10 years and like it. We also had a big picture window replaced a few years ago and the difference has been amazing! We no longer smell our immediate neighbor's woodsmoke (he never did figure out how to load so it doesn't smolder) and without the draft it's so much warmer in Winter and cooler in Summer. Enjoy! So glad you are feeling better.
I realized last evening that about the time I was picking up our granddaughter yesterday I was also missing my Tai Chi class. It was completely the right thing to do, and it was only my third class, so I should be able to catch up okay. Might get the related DVD, though.
I'm off to the Library tonight to host a talk by two friends who are speaking on their two years as Peace Corps Volunteers in Ghana! This will surely be powerful.
Had I worked at the Library yesterday as usual, given tonight's talk and that I work tomorrow, I would have worked there 11 days in a row. The break yesterday was good in that regard. I can hardly wait to see what it feels like to STOP working there!!
Cold here, about an inch of snow, roads slippery from all the melting and freezing.
I thought Obama's SOTU was terrific, hitting it out of the park. Watching Boehner was awful. His rubbery face emits anger, depression, sourness, obduracy. Ick.
Still have this cold, wake up at 2AM coughing, congested. I think of people who have chronic pain and how brave they must be, and accepting, patient. I can learn this.
I read the February issue of Harpers, an essay by Rebecca Solnit. I had been thinking about WWII and how humanity could have perpetrated such destruction on people, cities, the environment, all the creatures who make up an ecology. She maintains that we are continuing the same destruction against the planet, and I would agree. What are we humans to do? How can we change our mindset of fear, ignorance, aggression?
I think we are in an era of extraordinary change, and many would ignore that, would want to go back to what they see as a better past. Obama said that it would be at our peril if we refuse to recognize it and change ourselves and our policies.
DEBORAH RAWSON MEMORIAL LIBRARY JERICHO AND UNDERHILL
Library Clerk, Part-time, Deborah Rawson Memorial Library
Library Clerk to work at the circulation desk for 14 hours / week, starting in February 2015. 10.00 an hour
Tuesdays 3-8 Thursdays 3-8 Saturdays 10-2
We are looking for a public Library enthusiast who enjoys working with people of all ages, is detail oriented, and likes a variety of tasks. Excellent computer skills required!
Applications are available at the front desk at the library.
64 comments:
Wonderful photo, a laugh here.
We have nasty colds. It's all winter's fault. Fogged over, snow falling, temperature in the 20s. Winter feels like a penance, but life is so easy in comparison to what it must have been a hundred years ago.
A memoir column from this week's Nederland Mountain-Ear, the son of a miner marvels at electricity: no more odors of coal oil or gas, the flick of a switch and light. Yes.
Have a good day, friends.
My heart goes out to you, Pat, in the White Desert. I do agree about the relief of this being easier times. But I also recommend a field trip to a year-round Greenhouse! We have one here and they even serve lunch in the Greenhouse, by the indoor waterfall, with green growing things all around. It cheers me up like nothing else, and I save it for when I feel lowest in winter.
And even amid the White Desert, Dean is First.
Library Update:
Wouldyoubelieve: they sent the bookcases, but forgot to send the shelves? So the cases are being installed, but we can't put books back until later this week. Looks like we won't be opening until a week from tomorrow!
Oh, our poor book-starved patrons. Time to create a book mobile? Or maybe folks could call in their orders and we'll meet them at the door? LOL!
It's a good thing our cards are good at all the nearby libraries too.
One of those memory moments brought to you by the nose happened to me in China, my first summer. We were walking from the guest house at Beidaihe down to the beach, and suddenly! the smell of winters, long long gone: They were heating the water for post beach showers, with *coal*--hadn't smelled it since I was nine or ten, when we, and every house on our block, switched to natural gas furnaces. The old coal rooms, washed and painted became "fruit rooms" where one kept home canned fruit and veggies.
Later that winter, I smelled it all the time: everyone in the city heated and cooked with coal. Never could quite believe how BLACK the water got when you washed anything: hair, you, clothing.
Hi again,
Still the white desert, and even more than the green, I miss the sun. Colorado has 300 days a year of sunshine, and when we have days of no sun, we get cranky.
My grandfather was known as Coal Oil Bill because he cleaned the coal oil lamps in his college dormitory, working his way through medical school.
I never knew him because he died in his early 50s. The x-ray machine that he was using on a woman's broken leg shorted out, and he pushed her away and took the voltage himself.
My mother was at Marygrove College in Detroit and received a telegram telling her to come home immediately as her father was ill. At the train station in Chicago, on the front page of the
Tribune was the story of Dr. William LeMire executed by an x-ray machine. She told me she fainted.
Memories, how they reach us from far away and in people we are connected to.
Ohhh, Pat. Your poor dear mother! And your grandfather was a true hero, to save his patient with his life. Too young. Far too young.
If you can't get one of those sun lamps for these dark days, maybe put some twinkle lights up around your living room. We keep our window greens up until Candlemas, and our wreath until the first day of Spring. Next year, we are thinking, we will get an excellent quality artificial tree. We could decorate it for Christmas, then at Epiphany we could redecorate it for Epiphany season with maybe all stars and snowflakes. :-)
Snowed here all day and I had to drive to town and back. What usually takes a half hour was more like an hour and a half! The roads *weren't* that bad, but enough folks were driving 20-25 in 40 and 50 zones that all one could do was be patient.
A smile here, Listener, for your suggestions. Beautiful.
Well, time to go watch local news and have kitsch for dinner.
Our roads are icy and snow laden, more tomorrow.
That pic out front looks incredibly like Vermont, with Lake Champlain in the background and the Adirondacks of NY beyond. LOL!
listener--this got lost at the bottom of Shirlee's email. Sorry!
Great news at baby
That's wonderful news of Ally. The caring, the love, the hope, the skill that has gone into so many years of illness, and now she's cancer free, hopefully for the rest of her life.
Thank you for the news. We've still got awful colds here, so am resting a lot, drinking Emergen C with 1000 ml of vitamin C. Snowing again. I thought a few minutes ago, I'm back in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan: dark skies, snow, cold. Oh well.
No worries, puddle! She's still in remission. ;-)
Awww, Pat, I wish I could make you a pot of tea and cook dinner for you. ♥
Today I had my first Tai Chi session with this new class and it's going to work out nicely. It uses a form that has been altered slightly from the original, to make it a little easier for people who have arthritis. (I don't, but I like the gentleness.) The space we meet in is the nave of a modern little church, with the chairs set to one side. Picture: light wood and white walls, large windows with rounded tops, a simple altar, and views of the mountains beyond. Ahhhhhhhh.
Got down to -9.1F here last night, up to 2F today, currently -8.8F, and we're headed down to -15F tonight. The sun was bright on the sparkly snow all day, and it's was so incredibly beautiful outside!
listener--did you get the shingles meds/doctor talk straightened out?
Ah, Bah Humbug on cold weather! Finally went to the dermatologist yesterday for an outbreak around the outside of my face. Happens every year since I moved
away from the warm coastal water! Involves my bad immune system and this time they are suspecting an
Infection. Culture will be back on Friday. Until then
special shampoo, facial soap, general antibiotic and
small dose of cortisone. I feel a bit like Pat --like
being back in Michigan! Love you all!
Good Morning,
Bright blue, nearly cloudless sky today. Sun makes a difference.
Thank you, Listener. You are a dear.
Shirlee, thoughts your way. I hope the culture shows no infection.
Woke at 2 AM, stuffed up, throat sore, got up at 3:30 AM and slept in my chair in the living room. I feel a little better now. I tell myself, patience, rest, and appreciation for our good lives.
I'm reading a book of autobiographical essays, Animal, Mineral, Radical by BK Loren. She lives in Boulder, Colorado, and I'm enjoying the places she includes in her narrative essays.
I've read that memoir sells more than fiction today, and I'm not surprised. With memoir there's a sense of real, of truth about individual lives that I think our culture craves.
Well, take good care of yourselves. Every day can be a new day.
Thanks for your wishes , Pat. I guess we must just learn to live with the downsides of our chosen retirement paradises! Get well soon.
Looking forward to 50 degree temps on Friday and Saturday and a walk to the bookstore. Plus, we are supposed to have SUNSHINE!!!!!
Today!!! The National Nurse Act of 2015 was introduced by Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-TX) and Rep. Pete King (R-NY) into the 114th Congress!!
If you want to show support, you are invited to call the offices of Eddie Bernice Johnson (202-225-8885) and Pete King (202-225-7896). All you need to say is your name, state, and you are calling to thank Rep. Johnson or King for introducing The National Nurse Act of 2015. All calls are noted and appreciated.
Oh Shirlee, 50s and sunny sounds lovely! I think I'll have to wait a bit longer for that, but the bit more of daylight each day and some incredible sunsets are keeping my spirits up as we get thru this coldest bit of winter.
Glad to hear that Terri is doing so well with her legislation!
Take care Pat, I hope you feel better soon.
"listener--did you get the shingles meds/doctor talk straightened out?"
Thanks for wondering, puddle!!
Not yet. That visit is this Friday at 11:20am. Bill is coming with me. I could really wish she had worded it as: "If it's the right thing to do, I will of course continue to prescribe, but I'd like us to discuss some alternatives." That would be so less tension producing than: "I want you to stop taking the medication; let's discuss alternatives."
I've been doing my homework. I talked with my pharmacist and he says there are three meds used for this and there is (still) no cure. The first one created isn't used much anymore because it only lasts about 5 hours in your body, so you have to take it 4-5 times a day (and night). The one I take lasts 16 hours and the other one is similar. So that means there are only two viable medications and the one I'm taking works fine. He knows of no other alternative…!!
Surgery a success! I get to quit the metropolol immediately and the Eliquis in about 3 months.
Pretty good energy considering the surgery but a bit tired now.
Good news on Ally!
Sorry for all the cold weather. been moderate here - 40's.
will write more when I'm feeling a bit better.
XOXOXOXOXXOO
Happy for good news on health problems. Hope you can
talk some sense into your doc about the shingles med Listener. Curious as to what the alternatives are? Let
us know. There is a collective memory on this blog about
aging and its problems that is wonderful in its variety.
Good thing we all have different basic problems!!!
Have the book shelves arrived yet, Listener?
Looking forward to Mr. Obama's SOTU-- he is laying out
bits and pieces ahead of time. Love to all.
Yay, Barb, and Jo, and Pat!! And fingers crossed for listener and Shirlee!
And Shirlee, you're sure right about the differences!!
Our long range forecast is chilling, but not too froze, lol!
Nancy dropped off a bag of avocados, three hunks of triple creme brie, and two dozen (free range, organic) eggs. Kinda like heaven in this corner of Sugar Grove.
And just now, the sun's out for a minute, in my favorite winter scene: steel blue cloud/sky, sunlight in the middle making the sycamore trunks flame white.
Here's a TREAT!!!
Hi Friends,
Puddle, is that Phil? Yes, a treat.
Glad your surgery went well, Barb.
Glad you are all here. Beautiful day, almost 60 degrees, sunny.
Still have a cold, but we'll see. Maybe it will be better tomorrow. I talked to my sister on the phone just now. There's something special about hearing the different perspectives of our experiences. There's a kindness and compassion, I think, that comes with having lived.
And so tomorrow, we continue on.
Barb!! I'm so happy for you!! {{{ ♥ }}}
Here's to a healthy year ahead and an even better year next year! Yeeeaaaahhhhhh!
Thanks for all the kind comments. Everything I'm waiting on happens tomorrow. Bill and I are meeting with my doc at 11:20am. I have no idear how long that will take, as it's a consult. I have printed out a lot of info about recurrent shingles and I hope that helps make my case. If all else fails, I will ask to be referred to a specialist (or two), such as an immunologist (I already have one, but haven't been in years) and if necessary an infectious disease specialist, again. I think if a specialist is willing to agree with what I understand, my family doc will bow to it. But prayers and good vibes are greatly appreciated! I have found no trace of a clue online as to what other alternatives exist. It will be … interesting.
The bookshelves arrive at the Library in the morning and will be installed, hopefully by 1pm, when we staffers are supposed to arrive to put books onto them. Depending on how my doc visit goes, the Library may be the last place I'm going to feel like being. Especially after tonight's annual Library meeting and budget vote. The budget passed, but it was only tonight that I learned the reason that staff didn't get a raise this year. Each year I've been there, staff has received at least a small cost of living raise. This year it's NONE. And why? Because they gave some extra hours to the Head Clerk and she now qualifies for BENEFITS!!! So all the money for staff raises is going to the Annoying Head Clerk! That's the last straw. If I weren't already planning to exit, I'd have been ready tonight. Egad!
Pat, yes, that's Phil, today, with his favorite barn kitten.
Love and light your way, tomorrow, listener. It's not much fun seeing docs you have to educate. . . .
The exception I can think of is my own, who asked me to tell her about Achalasia as she'd never seen a case. . . .
Yay Barb! It seems this has been a long time coming for you. xo
Good luck listener - when will your last day at the library be? Not soon enough, eh?!
Puddle that delivery sounds yummy and so good for you! snd sunshine! it is such a gift I the middle of the winter!
Pat your weather is crazy, 60 degrees! It has been sort of crazy here too, I am already looking forward to spring.
Love and light to you all. It seems that many things are moving in the right direction, here's wishes for that to continue. <3
Good question, Jo!
I said ideally end of January, but the Director hasn't even posted the job yet.
Thank you all so much!!
I just say my doc and she *is* renewing the anti-viral med, and she is sending me on to an infectious disease specialist. Doctors are scientists and they will feel better if they can have lab confirmation that what I have is shingles (zoster) rather than something else. But neither is she recommending that I allow myself to get a full blown case of shingles just so they can culture it. So we'll see what the specialist recommends. I think it's basically that I'm an unusual case, which makes doctors uncomfortable and greatly curious. I'd rather not become a guinea pig, but if I happen to get a shingles rash, despite best efforts to avoid it, I'll let them culture it. One thing that was interesting is that I completely blanked on having seen the Immunologist again three years ago! I sat there and said I didn't see her then, but my doc read me the immunologist's report! Ha! How does the mind work?
So, there we are. And I'm off to the Library for a physical workout. Heh.
say = saw
My mind works that way more and more when I am under stress or overwhelmed by people, papers, etc. think it goes with the aging territory :)
Oh, dear, and LOL! We libruls just got insulted on one of the political threads at my dating site. The insult, new to me, is absolutely delicious!! SCIENCY LIBERALS. How NOT to love such a cognomen?
Asked him if that would make them Cargo Cult Conservatives?
Thank-you, dear Shirlee, for helping to restore my self esteem. If I am in *your* company, I am content. ♥
Wouldyoubelieve we arrived at 1pm today to start stocking the new Library shelves with books, but ... there are still no shelves!!? They missed their truck connection in Philly by one hour. The company said they could have them here by Monday…!! Our Director said they could have them here by tomorrow morning, thank-you! So they should arrive in Burlington tonight, then be delivered tomorrow morning at 9:30am. The person who has to install them has to drive up from CT tonight and his company is paying for him to stay overnight tonight. So we are gathering at 11am tomorrow to *finally* stock the shelves (she said, hopefully)!!
Hi Friends,
Beautiful day here, 60 degrees, sun, and now some wind coming up. Yes, Colorado weather is crazy, Jo.
Listener, I'm glad you will be finishing up at the library. It doesn't sound productive to deny staff cost of living bonuses and to give one member more hours. What are they thinking? And the shelves, well, they'll be there or they won't.
I'm glad that you are assertive, Listener, with respect to shingles. I think I mentioned that I argued with my obstetrician gynecologist about hormone therapy. It made me ill, and she kept insisting. I refused finally and remember the incident as unpleasant. We do need to stand up for our own bodies and what we know of them.
Today, I feel almost human again. This nasty cold may be abating. I wonder what we can do in winter to promote good health. It seems to be a time of greater vulnerability and illness.
Well, take care of yourselves.
For those of you who remember tc--
Terri Cain
3 hrs ·
Will be starting infusion of a new heavy-duty chemo drug in just a bit that can cause some scary/dangerous infusion reactions. I would gratefully accept any good/positive thoughts and/or prayers that I may come through okay. Please know how much I appreciate them and you.
Don't know this lady--but good thoughts....
Listener, I agree with Pat--something wrong
at your library. Is there a board of directors
you could appeal to?
Looks to be a lovely blue sky 50 degree temp day!
Yahoo, time for a walk down Elm street!
Love to all!
DOH!! I don't know why I thought of jc when you posted about tc puddle but I will say that I will always miss that sweet woman.
prayers and blessings to tc.
Feeling rested after a good nights sleep. Sleep does wonders for one's body.
One small hiccup. Dr. told me to stay on the blood regulating med (Eliquis, changed from warfarin) for three months and that I didn't need to take the metropolol any more. Boy was she wrong! Thursday night at our meeting, into fib. After about an hour and a half, finally settled down.
Friday morning, after breakfast, fib again so I called to find out if it was ok to take the fast acting metropolol. She said yes, but not to do so yet but to await her call back. Unfortunately she didn't bother to tell the dr that I needed an answer right away as her idea of right away was some six hours later after I called back and complained.
Then she said it was ok to take the 24 hour stuff. When I mentioned that I was told NOT to take it, she checked my chart and said with great surprise, "My! It's completely removed from your chart!" She was surprised as she explained that I would be on it for the same 3 months as the Eliquis.
Fortunately, I get to see the Dr. on Monday so will be able to get to the bottom of the mystery.
Puddle, was Terri Cain that lovely black lady that lived in Japan (I think it was) when we were at the DeanFest in San Diego? If not, I remember posts, but do not actually remember a person as I may not have actually met her. But please send along my best wishes for her.
Much love, my lovelies. XOXO
Nah, that would be Terri MacMillan, lol! Bet you did meet her--she *lives* in San Diego. . . . Slight, brown hair. She blogged over at HEP, early. She has one autistic son, and one adventurer son. She pretty much stopped blogging a few years ago when the cancer (head/neck) became rather time consuming.
And jeepers, Barb--hope you've got the meds issue cleared. That's really scary!
Jo, it's funny how often my brain goes to jc, and heart.
While passing the town cemetery:
Grandad: "Hey, maybe we should stop and see where Snowflake Bentley is buried."
Grand Ivy: "We're not going to dig him up. We're just going to look at the label."
This is the follow on to a year ago when Grandad mentioned that he'd heard that Snowflkae Bentley is buried in this cemetery, and suggested we stop and have a look. To which Grand Ivy responded, "What do you mean 'have a look'?"
Yikes, Barb. Good for you getting an explanation from your doc. My goodness. I think the only thing we can do is keep a detailed notebook of all our appointments, doctors names and info, and what was decided and why. I'm sending you power vibes for Monday! Remember that it's MLK, Jr. Day.
Barb, I was wrong--her hair's almost totally white now. Still tiny though. And a wonderful, if now crooked, grin.
We're up to 3/4" of snow so far and it's coming down fast.
Woke to bright bright sun, and just a skiff of snow making everything sparkle. Not going to make 49º--but warmish feeling.
The Library is all done and ready to open tomorrow!! Wow!
I work 3-8pm on Tuesdays, but tomorrow will be different. We got word tonight that Eldest's wife's grandmother is in the ICU and not expected to live. So change of plans: I will meet Eldest at the airport tomorrow (he is flying out to a TaeKwon Do event) to pick up granddaughter, since her school is closed tomorrow for some reason. It's a bad time for him to be going, but he's a high mucky muck so has to help run the event. He returns next Tuesday.
The Library Director will work in my stead for the first two hours. Then I might need to go in for an hour and a half. If so, Mah*Sweetie will come home early. We'll make it work.
We ended with 6" of snow and it's just about done.
Dang, the only picture I have of the DeanFest does not include a picture of Teri. Lots of the usual suspects though! Such a wonderful weekend. But you didn't manage to get in that picture, Puddle and I know that you and Edwin were there.
Interesting that I seem to go into fib after a nice warm cup of coffee. Or eating. Shoot. I took my readings from this mornings episode (10 min apart, first 168, second 85). As the nurse was looking at them, she said, "Interesting, this looks more like flutter." Sigh, that's where I started out on this wild goose chase. they were going to fix the flutter, but a side affect would be fib.
Oh, well, have to wait for it all to actually heal up now and I should be ok.
So are you snowed in, Listener? or is it just an inconvenience? Glad it seems warmer for you, Puddle.
XOXOXO
Hi Friends,
Looking forward to the SOTU tonight, and I feel confident that the Prez will do us proud with his logic, vision, and honesty.
I saw the photos of the library on your facebook page, Listener. I enjoyed them, glad that everything is up and running, and I share your appreciation of open spaces in libraries.
Barb, thoughts your way, hoping that things stabilize.
We went to the doctor yesterday. These colds have barraged us. I can't ever remember getting up at 2 in the morning to go downstairs and sleep in a chair because of a sore throat and congestion. So we have amoxicillin, hoping that in a few days we'll see improvement. I'm so used to mostly feeling good that I make a very bad patient. But, everything teaches, and it gives me a sense of what all of us humans experience at some point, pain, frustration, and hoping for healing.
Beautiful day today. Have little energy, slept for a good part of it, but did take Molly for her walk.
Just poking around waiting for SOTU. Prez has come up with some good stuff. Free Community College, open internet. I have one grandson whose dearest hope was that President Obama would "wire up the whole country."
We may just get it.
Healthy wishes to all especially Barb and Pat just now.
Glad your library is back in order, Listener. I am facing
unloading three bookcases so the restoration people can replace a window in my bedroom on Thursday.
Puddle, that would be on the south side of the building--the one towards the railroad tracks. Apparently the four or so windows on this side need re-restoration.
Has been 30 some years since this lovely old building
was saved, restored and putti new use. Love it.
And you all!
..ah, 'put to'. Not putti!
I didn't end up going to work today, so I don't yet know how the new look was received by patrons. I was home taking care of our Vermont granddaughter (age 7) because her school was not in session today, but her mother's grandmother had a major stroke last night and is in the ICU, not expected to live. :-( She is 93 and unconscious, except that she still managed to pull our her IV. I wonder if that was a request. Her living will is to have no major steps taken. DIL says that if her grandmother doesn’t respond in the next two days, they will take her off life support and let her go.
Meanwhile our son (Grand's Daddy) is in Orlando, FL running a TaeKwon Do event. He returns Monday. We expect to have Grand here most of this weekend...unless she has a memorial service to attend.
Grand and I spent some of our day together making lasagna, salad and chocolate chip cookies, for her to take home for dinner. I wanted her to feel empowered, and have a way to do something to help, while she is feeling so sad and helpless about her great grandmother, and her mother's absence. I love that little girl tons!
Great speech by our President, as ever!
Barb, that sounds incredibly frustrating…that the treatment plan before now didn't solve what you set out to do. I hope you see more and more improvement now. Please keep us posted as you see changes.
6" of snow could never snow us in, in Vermont. It would take about 3-5ft to keep us home for a day or two. When it snows, the roads are plowed hour by hour and even our driveway gets plowed every time 6" of snow falls. If it's going to be icy, quite often sand and salt are used on the roads before and during storms.
That doesn't mean nothing goes wrong. A heavy snowfall can take down power lines. Icy storms take down trees. And messy roads can lead to accidents if people aren't extra careful. We have a saying here, "With ice, all bets are off." There are times when it just makes sense not to travel for a little while. Yesterday morning, during the storm, a 78 year old woman lost control of her car on an icy stretch of road and crashed head-on into an SUV being driven by a 55 year old man. Both died. The man's 28 year old son survived. It could have gone better, too, as none of them were eating seatbelts!! When I was a chaplain at the medical center, I saw what a difference seatbelts make. No one gets to ride in my car without wearing one.
It is possible to make good choices and "live long and prosper" in Vermont.
How lucky we are to have such an intelligent, caring President. Did anyone else feel a shift at the end to an
inspirational tone? Love this man.
Dang blogger wouldn't let me comment all yesterday!!
Pat and Barb, hope you're both on the healing path.
Hope Shirlee is, too.
And I AM going to make a point to get upstairs and listen to the President! Rather than waiting and looking for the speech in print.
Well *that* should have been posted several hours earlier, lol!
Yep, nothing goes well when you're eating seatbelts. . . .
Shirlee, good to see you here!!
And yep, the Prez was A-1 tonight!!
What a grand and glorious speech. The GOP are going to be fighting against it for the next two years!
It's a shame that the GOP were represented by old sourpuss up there behind the President glowering the whole time.
I am proud of this President and agree with him on everything except the new upcoming trade agreement.
Have a grand day today all. XOXO
A headline I saw this morning says "Obama Gets His Swagger Back." I didn't think he had really lost it, but has learned there is no way to compromise with this bunch of
Repubs. So, go for it B.O.!
Nasty skin problem clearing up--special soaps etc. Hope things are stable:) for all! Active day here at 216. Too
large and heavy refrigerator is cleaned out by Brenda and taken away by the maintenance man. New smaller one to be delivered this afternoon. Brenda will be back to re-load. Helper Lael will be by soon to help unload about 300 books from cases in the bedroom,
fold up the cases and get them out of the way for the
window restoration people. Looking forward to the new, non air leaky window. But, will surely be glad when it is done. Stay well and happy, ladies. Love to all.
Wow, Shirlee, that is a big day you're having! We have had a small refrigerator for about 10 years and like it. We also had a big picture window replaced a few years ago and the difference has been amazing! We no longer smell our immediate neighbor's woodsmoke (he never did figure out how to load so it doesn't smolder) and without the draft it's so much warmer in Winter and cooler in Summer. Enjoy! So glad you are feeling better.
I realized last evening that about the time I was picking up our granddaughter yesterday I was also missing my Tai Chi class. It was completely the right thing to do, and it was only my third class, so I should be able to catch up okay. Might get the related DVD, though.
I'm off to the Library tonight to host a talk by two friends who are speaking on their two years as Peace Corps Volunteers in Ghana! This will surely be powerful.
Had I worked at the Library yesterday as usual, given tonight's talk and that I work tomorrow, I would have worked there 11 days in a row. The break yesterday was good in that regard. I can hardly wait to see what it feels like to STOP working there!!
Hi Friends,
Cold here, about an inch of snow, roads slippery from all the melting and freezing.
I thought Obama's SOTU was terrific, hitting it out of the park. Watching Boehner was awful. His rubbery face emits anger, depression, sourness, obduracy. Ick.
Still have this cold, wake up at 2AM coughing, congested. I think of people who have chronic pain and how brave they must be, and accepting, patient. I can learn this.
I read the February issue of Harpers, an essay by Rebecca Solnit. I had been thinking about WWII and how humanity could have perpetrated such destruction on people, cities, the environment, all the creatures who make up an ecology. She maintains that we are continuing the same destruction against the planet, and I would agree. What are we humans to do? How can we change our mindset of fear, ignorance, aggression?
I think we are in an era of extraordinary change, and many would ignore that, would want to go back to what they see as a better past. Obama said that it would be at our peril if we refuse to recognize it and change ourselves and our policies.
Well, time for dinner and national news.
The job finally got posted!!!
DEBORAH RAWSON MEMORIAL LIBRARY
JERICHO AND UNDERHILL
Library Clerk, Part-time, Deborah Rawson Memorial Library
Library Clerk to work at the circulation desk for 14 hours / week, starting in February 2015. 10.00 an hour
Tuesdays 3-8
Thursdays 3-8
Saturdays 10-2
We are looking for a public Library enthusiast who enjoys working with people of all ages, is detail oriented, and likes a variety of tasks. Excellent computer skills required!
Applications are available at the front desk at the library.
Apply by February 4, 2015.
Questions? Ask Holly! 899-4962
New Thread!!!!
Post a Comment