No worries on my account, puddle, I've already read the synopses of the whole season. I wasn't going to invest in it this time if Julian Fellowes was going to make another disaster happen. I think it'll be okay. Maybe he got enough letters. Ha!
Another gray day. I love the graphic and caption. How true, and it's so great to see a compliment praising this man we are so blessed to have as President. And, yes, Howard Dean was a major force in electing Obama. Thank you Howard.
Thanks, Listener, for sharing your stories. I've felt that people can make people sick when they treat them carelessly, manipulate so that people are uneasy and feel unappreciated. It's good to be able to avoid that in our lives when we can.
I think we've finally gotten over these colds. I'm very aware of my breathing, take walks saying, in out in out as I breathe and release. Aware of my breath, I think, will help me prevent colds.
Am still working on clutter and too many books, too much stuff. How did I let that happen?!
Sunny and bloody cold today. Colder tonight. Not loving winter.
Shirlee--I think I missed the girl gene that likes to shop. I've never liked it. So the 'nets have proved lovely for me: lets me pick it up and put it down when I wish. . . .
Ah, when will spring come? I'm ready to be finished with winter: colorless, cold, dim light, the sounds of wind.
The birds on the deck help a bit as they chase one another from the feeder, but come back and back, and the ebert squirrel who takes his turn. The birds wait for him to finish.
Again, congratulations on your retirement, Listener. I'm still amazed at having time, having the freedom to choose my own efforts, to the gift of silence and contemplation.
Our culture is such a work/commerce oriented culture that it feels somewhat illicit to be able to live without working for some organization. How did we become this way?
The Grandmother of two of our daughters-in-law (they are sisters) died overnight. She was 93. She was also, therefore, the Great Grandmother of three of our four Grands. I'm trying to think of some kindness we can do for them all. Ideas?
So sorry I didn't get back here to tell you that the special person whose birthday was yesterday turned 8 whole years old…and was ALLY!!!
We heard that her Auntie made her a pink nightgown for Christmas, so for her birthday made a matching nightgown for her 18" doll. So I went poking about in the little local toy shop and came out with pink winter boots, pink polka dotted shoes and white bunny slippers with pink ears ~ all for Ally's 18" doll! ♥ Got that mailed the other day and she will have opened them by now. :-)
Ah, February!! My favorite month of the year. Only good can come in a month with a heart in the middle. I admit to being a loon, but it's always been for me the beginning of spring. Same irony, trait, makes summer solstice the beginning of winter, lol! As soon as we begin to lose light, I feel winter in the wings.
A bit the same here, Puddle! My sofa is going to the repair shop this week so daughter Brenda offered me Her guest bedroom..and house until the sofa is repaired. I have been really cranky dealing with winter, doctors and major work around the apartment. If I had no place to rest except my bed I would be unbearable. So, here I am being cooked for and all my books, CDs, etc needed to get through the night put together in her guest bedroom. Every aging Mom should be so lucky!!!! Love you all!
Yes, you must be a wonderful parent as well as a person,Shirlee. That goes for Puddle, Jo, Listener, and Barb as well. I can't think of any greater affirmation than for adult children to want to be with us, to offer their help, and to enjoy our company. It's beautiful.
Nice day here too. I'm calling this year, The Year of Getting Rid Of. Clothes I haven't worn in years, books I won't reread or look at for reference, papers, kitchen stuff, whatever I don't cherish, use, or appreciate is going to Good Will, the library, the thrift shop for the medical center, and friends who may want something.
Feel energized. In Buddhism, attachment is a source of sorrow. Boy, am I ever attached to things. So, onward.
Home at last. Whirlwind trip to Colorado Springs for son's 50th. his kids threw him a surprise birthday party and I was the biggest surprise. What fun it was. But I'm getting too old for those kind of quick hops, they wear me out.
Good news all around from my blog family. Such lovely thoughtful ladies. I feel privileged to be here with you all.
Barb, what a wonderful surprise you must have been! And there's nothing like seeing an adult child on their birthday!! After all, you brought him into the world. ♥
Y'know what's funny, Pat. One of ours recently told us not to think of taking care of his child on weekends as "helping" them out. We were told it's actually a bit of work for them sometimes to coordinate with us. (If they would only ever once plan ahead…) Good thing we're not really doing this for the parents, but for the Grand, eh?
I hope to soon begin a year of sorting out and passing along, too. We also plan to make a list of key items we'd like to bequeath to our kids and grands, and specifically what to whom, for certain items. I expect it will be daunting but very worthwhile.
PUNXSUTAWNEY PHIL SEES SHADOW; PREDICTS SIX MORE WEEKS OF WINTER Huh? Looks like the Inner Circle forgot to check the weather report, as it's pouring rain in Punxsutawney this morning. http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6592542
Aha! "In reality, Phil's prediction is decided ahead of time by the group on Gobbler's Knob, the tiny hill in the town for which he's named about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. "Records going back to 1887 show Phil has now predicted more winter 102 times while forecasting an early spring just 17 times. There are no records for the remaining years."
The reality: Punxsutawney is under a Winter Storm Warning, and the morning commute is expected to be graced with 6-10" of snow!
But take heart. In 2013, Puxsutawney Phil's Inner Circle predicted an early Spring which wasn't. :-D
Apparently Punxsutawney had a mix of rain and snow today, but definitely no sun. As a friend said, if Phil saw a shadow it must have been from all the cameras. LOL!
A beautiful day today, predicted to be in the 40s and 50s. Whether the groundhog predicts six more weeks or not, I think we always have six more weeks. That would be about mid March. Now ten more weeks would be distressing.
Listener, I think our children's lives are so much busier, so much more scheduled than I remember ours being. In many ways, our lives were simpler. We didn't travel two hours a day to get to and return from work. Child care was $25.00 a week, not $200.00. We, as teachers, were out of school often by 4 PM. There wasn't as much entertainment or social activity diverting our attention.
Also, I think that as grandparents, we look forward to being in our grandchildren's lives, and yet, so much activity is organized for them. The old ideas we had, I had, of walks in the woods, picnics, camping, have to compete with hockey, soccer, school activities. I grew up in a large extended family and went to my grandmother's house for lunch from school once a week. Every holiday, we were with family. I'm not sure that prevails today.
And in gratitude, when we were evacuated in September of 2013 because of the floods, our oldest son was in Fort Collins to pick us up. He and his wife made us feel so welcome, so appreciated, that when we returned home, I missed them. I will always be grateful.
Also, we are in an age of individualism in comparison to the 40s through the 60s. I think that in a given family, some personalities don't mesh very well. That's always been true, but more so now than ever, I think. How to get along with a personality that we clash with, that's the dilemma. My thought is that life is short, carefulness of speech, acceptance of different values, modes of interaction, and appreciation can help.
Just some thoughts I've been worrying about for a while.
Have a nice day even if it's raining, snowing, drizzling. Stay warm.
STUFF! For the last year or so when gift time comes around Brenda and I have scoured my cupboards for appropriate things for her sibs. I have a family of cooks and small business folks. They seem to enjoy them-- sometimes for usefulness, sometimes for the memories of good meals and good times together and with friends.
WHAT A DAY!!! Beginning with a 7:30 call from FedEx telling me my almond meal has arrived, but the roads are too icy, and they want an alternative address to deliver to. Told them to leave it at the post office. So I'll get it Friday, when Nancy gets the mail.
Pat, I quite agree with you about our children's lives being way too busy. Most of the time it now requires two parental incomes to afford to bring up a family. Or, at very least, it requires sacrifice and creativity. It was admittedly a bit easier when we made the choice to live on one income and home school. We chose not to get into busy lifestyles that erode family time. But I really do understand that many have real needs and preferences that cause them to choose a different path than we chose. I have great empathy for their struggles. We first offered to have Grand here on the weekends because they were overwhelmed. They are fairing better these days, by and large, but we still have Grand here overnight sometimes, especially when Son is away for an event and DIL needs to work. It just seemed a little odd for them to now say we aren't "helping" if it means they are a bit inconvenienced, especially as they are the ones who moved 20 min further away last Summer! Ha! And if they ask we certainly drive all the way to pick her up. But we just deal with it, so they don't decide we shouldn't have Grand here sometimes. We have a really special bond with her.
Awww, puddle, I'm sad you have to wait even longer for delivery of the long-awaited, expeditedly-shipped Almond Meal! I sure hope your shipping cost got refunded!!
I didn't really pay extra, but since it was bought and shipped by Honeyville, I did have to pay something for shipping. I get amused that the private delivery companies are as often as they can finding excuses to drop their stuff at the gubmint run shipping company (yes, UPS does it too, not quite as much as FedEx). But waffles for breakfast would have been nice. . . .
Yes, there is. At least as far as Amazon is concerned. But both FedEx and UPS have for long acted as the sign-off for drivers who don't wish to come to this end of the county.
And vis a vis the Republicans' endless screaming that anything a private concern does is better than anything a gubmint concern does, it's pretty damn funny.
We do, thanks! I love our USPS system. Our local postman walking the streets on his route looks out for everyone--especially if he knows the resident has physical problems. He is so good that when the local P.O. Wanted to put him on another route the residents got up a petition to keep him here, sent it off, and we kept him! Have a happy day!
Warmer (much) today, and lots of sun/shadow. Still lots of compressed snow (ice) on the road, and near the house. Doesn't seem to bother Beau, but I'm certain it'd dump me.
We had a few inches of snow overnight and tonight will have some more. Then we're to have a few more inches on Friday and I believe some more on Sunday. But sometimes the snow is sunlit with blue shadows, and sometimes the full moon is out. And today it got over 20F and the roof dripped a little. I love the quiet this time of year, and the clarity of the air. It always amazes me that when it's way below zero the snow crystals are too cold to stick to each other, so when the wind blows and they fly off branches, they fall down as individual crystals! It's delightful to watch that happen against a deep blue sky on a sunny day.
Ah, Shirlee, I like the cut of your postman's job. :-) We all need to be that sort of person who looks out for others and cares. How lovely that the folks on his route claimed him as their own and he kept his route!
And even beyond that, Puddle. My mailbox in the mailroom ison the upper tier. I can reach it and he noticed it was a stretch so he started putting a rubber band around my mail so it doesn't slip to the floor. He also decided that when I have a package he drops it at my apartment door. Needless to say he got a package of goodies at Christmas time. For which I had a thank you note!
About six times through Downton. A bit pissed that the season's so short. Not nine whole hours!! Thinking back to The Waltons, when a season was 22 shows. . . .
Cold today. Warmer tomorrow. Ready for winter to leave altogether.
Yes, they make the season's shorter and shorter. Don't know the why or wherefore of the reasoning. Seems one just gets really into it and then it's gone for a long time.
Our internet was down for the entire evening last night and I used the time to catch up on my bookwork.
It's been very mild here and all the lily types, bleeding hearts are starting to peek up. I hope that it doesn't get a cold snap.
Jo, did you catch the recent story of Sophie Fellows, the 9 year old violinist in Burlington who was diagnosed with a large brain tumor? During the holiday concert in Dec she felt sick and had to leave. Her doc found the tumor and she was rushed to Boston. So her wonderful violin teacher brought musicians to Boston so Sophie could finish the concert the day before her 7 hour surgery. (There was a real concern she would never be able to play again.) It turned out that Sophie's tumor was Benign!! She is back to playing the violin. Today was her first lesson again since surgery and a few hours after the lesson her teacher learned that she herself has a large tumor. I learned this from a friend this afternoon, as the teacher also taught my friends' children. The tumor is in her leg.
Then I got a text from my husband telling me that is boss' wife was just diagnosed with a large tumor. Yes, same woman…!
Well, no almond meal. Nancy couldn't navigate the sea of ice, and nothing I did ameliorated it. (Just sat on top, and the wind moved it around.) So the next plan includes giving it a day to warm up (tomorrow) and crampons. And Sunday. So buttered cauliflower rather than brownies and waffles. . . . Good thing I *really* love cauliflower, lol!
70 degrees, sunny, and windy today. You'd think it was May. Weird weather as I've never before experienced: one day, cold, snowing, about 26 degrees; the next day 55 degrees, overcast; today, well, as I've mentioned. When in my lifetime have I experienced 70 degree weather in February?!
Yes, Puddle, I think those waffles will be memorable!
On Bill Maher last night, a British researcher on drug addiction. We've assumed that the substance itself caused addiction, but scientists have found that it's lifestyles that cause addictions, and our war on drugs is making the situation worse. Portugal had high rates of drug addiction. Instead of punishment, incarceration, deprivation, they subsidized jobs, housing, food, and education, and the addiction rates went down 50%. I think our problems as humans are often that we don't examine our assumptions, and continue, consequently, practices that make things worse.
It seems, from the researcher's perspective that when our lives are bleak, deprived, oppressive, we turn to those substances that make us feel better, even if they cause us harm.
I'm also thinking of smoking, and it has been reduced to 20% of the population; whereas it was over 50% in the 50s. As a teenager, smoking was cool. It certainly was pleasurable. But, knowing, as they did, the harm it caused, and the refusal to acknowledge it, many suffered and died. It seems that substances are very much connected to our social lives.
I forgot to include the research done on rats. They were placed in cages, given ordinary water and heroin laced water. They chose the heroin water when there was nothing by isolation and a cage. Given rats in groups, food, playthings, they ignored the heroin water and drank the ordinary water. That was the basis for the change in process with respect to treatment of addicts in Portugal.
Pat, in SLC, when I was growing up, I think *every* non-Mormon of age smoked. I always thought it was a way of declaring that *they* were NOT Mormons--a smoke signal, if you will.
49 comments:
Guv Howard Dean and Pres Barack Obama are FIRST!
No worries on my account, puddle, I've already read the synopses of the whole season. I wasn't going to invest in it this time if Julian Fellowes was going to make another disaster happen. I think it'll be okay. Maybe he got enough letters. Ha!
What a wonderful new start! Love this man and HD--whose campaign paved the way for BO. Deaniacs to the
Rescue!!!
Today is a very special day! It's someone really sweet's birthday! Can you guess?
Hi,
Another gray day. I love the graphic and caption. How true, and it's so great to see a compliment praising this man we are so blessed to have as President. And, yes, Howard Dean was a major force in electing Obama. Thank you Howard.
Thanks, Listener, for sharing your stories. I've felt that people can make people sick when they treat them carelessly, manipulate so that people are uneasy and feel unappreciated. It's good to be able to avoid that in our lives when we can.
I think we've finally gotten over these colds. I'm very aware of my breathing, take walks saying, in out in out as I breathe and release. Aware of my breath, I think, will help me prevent colds.
Am still working on clutter and too many books, too much stuff. How did I let that happen?!
Well, take good care of yourselves.
Sunny and bloody cold today. Colder tonight. Not loving winter.
Shirlee--I think I missed the girl gene that likes to shop. I've never liked it. So the 'nets have proved lovely for me: lets me pick it up and put it down when I wish. . . .
A Good Morning.
Ah, when will spring come? I'm ready to be finished with winter: colorless, cold, dim light, the sounds of wind.
The birds on the deck help a bit as they chase one another from the feeder, but come back and back, and the ebert squirrel who takes his turn. The birds wait for him to finish.
Again, congratulations on your retirement, Listener. I'm still amazed at having time, having the freedom to choose my own efforts, to the gift of silence and contemplation.
Our culture is such a work/commerce oriented culture that it feels somewhat illicit to be able to live without working for some organization. How did we become this way?
Well, enjoy your day.
The Grandmother of two of our daughters-in-law (they are sisters) died overnight. She was 93. She was also, therefore, the Great Grandmother of three of our four Grands. I'm trying to think of some kindness we can do for them all. Ideas?
So sorry I didn't get back here to tell you that the special person whose birthday was yesterday turned 8 whole years old…and was ALLY!!!
We heard that her Auntie made her a pink nightgown for Christmas, so for her birthday made a matching nightgown for her 18" doll. So I went poking about in the little local toy shop and came out with pink winter boots, pink polka dotted shoes and white bunny slippers with pink ears ~ all for Ally's 18" doll! ♥ Got that mailed the other day and she will have opened them by now. :-)
listener, that's lovely!! You are such a dear!
That's so thoughtful and kind, Listener. A smile here.
Some blue sky, amazing how cheering that is.
Just to clarify, it was the Auntie who made both Ally's nightgown and her doll's nightgown. All I did was send the fun footwear. :-)
Clear here --still nice. Not everyone would realize that a little girl's doll needs nice footwear!
Ah, February!! My favorite month of the year. Only good can come in a month with a heart in the middle. I admit to being a loon, but it's always been for me the beginning of spring. Same irony, trait, makes summer solstice the beginning of winter, lol! As soon as we begin to lose light, I feel winter in the wings.
A bit the same here, Puddle! My sofa is going to the repair shop this week so daughter Brenda offered me
Her guest bedroom..and house until the sofa is repaired.
I have been really cranky dealing with winter, doctors
and major work around the apartment. If I had no place to rest except my bed I would be unbearable. So, here I am
being cooked for and all my books, CDs, etc needed to get through the night put together in her guest bedroom.
Every aging Mom should be so lucky!!!! Love you all!
Hi Friends,
Yes, you must be a wonderful parent as well as a person,Shirlee. That goes for Puddle, Jo, Listener, and Barb as well. I can't think of any greater affirmation than for adult children to want to be with us, to offer their help, and to enjoy our company. It's beautiful.
Nice day here too. I'm calling this year, The Year of Getting Rid Of. Clothes I haven't worn in years, books I won't reread or look at for reference, papers, kitchen stuff, whatever I don't cherish, use, or appreciate is going to Good Will, the library, the thrift shop for the medical center, and friends who may want something.
Feel energized. In Buddhism, attachment is a source of sorrow. Boy, am I ever attached to things. So, onward.
I'm glad you are here.
Home at last. Whirlwind trip to Colorado Springs for son's 50th. his kids threw him a surprise birthday party and I was the biggest surprise. What fun it was. But I'm getting too old for those kind of quick hops, they wear me out.
Good news all around from my blog family. Such lovely thoughtful ladies. I feel privileged to be here with you all.
XOXOXO
Barb, what a wonderful surprise you must have been! And there's nothing like seeing an adult child on their birthday!! After all, you brought him into the world. ♥
Y'know what's funny, Pat. One of ours recently told us not to think of taking care of his child on weekends as "helping" them out. We were told it's actually a bit of work for them sometimes to coordinate with us. (If they would only ever once plan ahead…) Good thing we're not really doing this for the parents, but for the Grand, eh?
I hope to soon begin a year of sorting out and passing along, too. We also plan to make a list of key items we'd like to bequeath to our kids and grands, and specifically what to whom, for certain items. I expect it will be daunting but very worthwhile.
PUNXSUTAWNEY PHIL SEES SHADOW; PREDICTS SIX MORE WEEKS OF WINTER
Huh? Looks like the Inner Circle forgot to check the weather report, as it's pouring rain in Punxsutawney this morning.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/02/punxsutawney-phil-groundhogs-day_n_6592542.html
PUNXSUTAWNEY PHIL SEES SHADOW; PREDICTS SIX MORE WEEKS OF WINTER
Huh? Looks like the Inner Circle forgot to check the weather report, as it's pouring rain in Punxsutawney this morning.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6592542
Aha!
"In reality, Phil's prediction is decided ahead of time by the group on Gobbler's Knob, the tiny hill in the town for which he's named about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.
"Records going back to 1887 show Phil has now predicted more winter 102 times while forecasting an early spring just 17 times. There are no records for the remaining years."
The reality:
Punxsutawney is under a Winter Storm Warning, and the morning commute is expected to be graced with 6-10" of snow!
But take heart. In 2013, Puxsutawney Phil's Inner Circle predicted an early Spring which wasn't. :-D
Apparently Punxsutawney had a mix of rain and snow today, but definitely no sun. As a friend said, if Phil saw a shadow it must have been from all the cameras. LOL!
A beautiful day today, predicted to be in the 40s and 50s. Whether the groundhog predicts six more weeks or not, I think we always have six more weeks. That would be about mid March. Now ten more weeks would be distressing.
Listener, I think our children's lives are so much busier, so much more scheduled than I remember ours being. In many ways, our lives were simpler. We didn't travel two hours a day to get to and return from work. Child care was $25.00 a week, not $200.00. We, as teachers, were out of school often by 4 PM. There wasn't as much entertainment or social activity diverting our attention.
Also, I think that as grandparents, we look forward to being in our grandchildren's lives, and yet, so much activity is organized for them. The old ideas we had, I had, of walks in the woods, picnics, camping, have to compete with hockey, soccer, school activities. I grew up in a large extended family and went to my grandmother's house for lunch from school once a week. Every holiday, we were with family. I'm not sure that prevails today.
And in gratitude, when we were evacuated in September of 2013 because of the floods, our oldest son was in Fort Collins to pick us up. He and his wife made us feel so welcome, so appreciated, that when we returned home, I missed them. I will always be grateful.
Also, we are in an age of individualism in comparison to the 40s through the 60s. I think that in a given family, some personalities don't mesh very well. That's always been true, but more so now than ever, I think. How to get along with a personality that we clash with, that's the dilemma. My thought is that life is short, carefulness of speech, acceptance of different values, modes of interaction, and appreciation can help.
Just some thoughts I've been worrying about for a while.
Have a nice day even if it's raining, snowing, drizzling. Stay warm.
STUFF! For the last year or so when gift time comes
around Brenda and I have scoured my cupboards for
appropriate things for her sibs. I have a family of cooks and small business folks. They seem to enjoy them-- sometimes for usefulness, sometimes for the memories
of good meals and good times together and with friends.
This cold weather can go away, anytime!
WHAT A DAY!!! Beginning with a 7:30 call from FedEx telling me my almond meal has arrived, but the roads are too icy, and they want an alternative address to deliver to. Told them to leave it at the post office. So I'll get it Friday, when Nancy gets the mail.
Sun, clouds, cold and LOTS of wind!
And Navy jets dashing up and down the valley.
jeepers
Pat, I quite agree with you about our children's lives being way too busy. Most of the time it now requires two parental incomes to afford to bring up a family. Or, at very least, it requires sacrifice and creativity. It was admittedly a bit easier when we made the choice to live on one income and home school. We chose not to get into busy lifestyles that erode family time. But I really do understand that many have real needs and preferences that cause them to choose a different path than we chose. I have great empathy for their struggles. We first offered to have Grand here on the weekends because they were overwhelmed. They are fairing better these days, by and large, but we still have Grand here overnight sometimes, especially when Son is away for an event and DIL needs to work. It just seemed a little odd for them to now say we aren't "helping" if it means they are a bit inconvenienced, especially as they are the ones who moved 20 min further away last Summer! Ha! And if they ask we certainly drive all the way to pick her up. But we just deal with it, so they don't decide we shouldn't have Grand here sometimes. We have a really special bond with her.
Note:
* I wrote "faring" and it got autocorrected to "fairing". Sheesh!
Awww, puddle, I'm sad you have to wait even longer for delivery of the long-awaited, expeditedly-shipped Almond Meal! I sure hope your shipping cost got refunded!!
I didn't really pay extra, but since it was bought and shipped by Honeyville, I did have to pay something for shipping. I get amused that the private delivery companies are as often as they can finding excuses to drop their stuff at the gubmint run shipping company (yes, UPS does it too, not quite as much as FedEx). But waffles for breakfast would have been nice. . . .
I thought I read that USPS has contract with Fed-EX and UPS to do ground delivery after flight from other locations.
Tired, tired of this cold weather--although tucked up at Brenda's. Off to dermo doc today to let him see my
improved skin! Stay warm, folks!!!!!
Yes, there is. At least as far as Amazon is concerned. But both FedEx and UPS have for long acted as the sign-off for drivers who don't wish to come to this end of the county.
And vis a vis the Republicans' endless screaming that anything a private concern does is better than anything a gubmint concern does, it's pretty damn funny.
UPS have used the post office for long acted as the
Nope, lol, can't fix it. You get the idea. I hope.
We do, thanks! I love our USPS system. Our local postman walking the streets on his route looks out for
everyone--especially if he knows the resident has
physical problems. He is so good that when the local
P.O. Wanted to put him on another route the residents got up a petition to keep him here, sent it off, and we kept him! Have a happy day!
Warmer (much) today, and lots of sun/shadow. Still lots of compressed snow (ice) on the road, and near the house. Doesn't seem to bother Beau, but I'm certain it'd dump me.
We had a few inches of snow overnight and tonight will have some more. Then we're to have a few more inches on Friday and I believe some more on Sunday. But sometimes the snow is sunlit with blue shadows, and sometimes the full moon is out. And today it got over 20F and the roof dripped a little. I love the quiet this time of year, and the clarity of the air. It always amazes me that when it's way below zero the snow crystals are too cold to stick to each other, so when the wind blows and they fly off branches, they fall down as individual crystals! It's delightful to watch that happen against a deep blue sky on a sunny day.
Ah, Shirlee, I like the cut of your postman's job. :-) We all need to be that sort of person who looks out for others and cares. How lovely that the folks on his route claimed him as their own and he kept his route!
And even beyond that, Puddle. My mailbox in the mailroom ison the upper tier. I can reach it and he noticed it was a stretch so he started putting a rubber band
around my mail so it doesn't slip to the floor. He also
decided that when I have a package he drops it at
my apartment door. Needless to say he got a package of goodies at Christmas time. For which I had a thank you note!
About six times through Downton. A bit pissed that the season's so short. Not nine whole hours!! Thinking back to The Waltons, when a season was 22 shows. . . .
Cold today. Warmer tomorrow. Ready for winter to leave altogether.
Did the recount--it is a bit more than nine and a half hours. Still, not much for a year's wait. . . .
I agree, puddle. Now West Wing, that had 22 episodes in a season!
Take heart! On Thursday, I heard the Chickadees singing their Spring song for the first time this year. The Wheel Turns.
Yes, they make the season's shorter and shorter. Don't know the why or wherefore of the reasoning. Seems one just gets really into it and then it's gone for a long time.
Our internet was down for the entire evening last night and I used the time to catch up on my bookwork.
It's been very mild here and all the lily types, bleeding hearts are starting to peek up. I hope that it doesn't get a cold snap.
Much love to all. XOXO
Jo, did you catch the recent story of Sophie Fellows, the 9 year old violinist in Burlington who was diagnosed with a large brain tumor? During the holiday concert in Dec she felt sick and had to leave. Her doc found the tumor and she was rushed to Boston. So her wonderful violin teacher brought musicians to Boston so Sophie could finish the concert the day before her 7 hour surgery. (There was a real concern she would never be able to play again.) It turned out that Sophie's tumor was Benign!! She is back to playing the violin. Today was her first lesson again since surgery and a few hours after the lesson her teacher learned that she herself has a large tumor. I learned this from a friend this afternoon, as the teacher also taught my friends' children. The tumor is in her leg.
Then I got a text from my husband telling me that is boss' wife was just diagnosed with a large tumor. Yes, same woman…!
Small world!
http://www.wcax.com/story/28039498/colchester-girl-plans-thank-you-concert-after-life-saving-brain-surgery
is boss' wife = his boss' wife
Well, no almond meal. Nancy couldn't navigate the sea of ice, and nothing I did ameliorated it. (Just sat on top, and the wind moved it around.) So the next plan includes giving it a day to warm up (tomorrow) and crampons. And Sunday. So buttered cauliflower rather than brownies and waffles. . . . Good thing I *really* love cauliflower, lol!
Awww, jeepers! Those waffles are going to taste like the best ever by the time you finally get them!
You are going to LOVE your waffles!!! Waiting makes the heart grow fonder--old line can apply to anything!
I am headed back to my apartment today. Sofa repaired--fixed something they didn't do before--no charge.
First year anniversary party tonight at the book store--live music, food, door prizes etc. a bit warmer today. :)
Love to all--everyone behave!!!
Hi Y'All,
70 degrees, sunny, and windy today. You'd think it was May. Weird weather as I've never before experienced: one day, cold, snowing, about 26 degrees; the next day 55 degrees, overcast; today, well, as I've mentioned. When in my lifetime have I experienced 70 degree weather in February?!
Yes, Puddle, I think those waffles will be memorable!
On Bill Maher last night, a British researcher on drug addiction. We've assumed that the substance itself caused addiction, but scientists have found that it's lifestyles that cause addictions, and our war on drugs is making the situation worse. Portugal had high rates of drug addiction. Instead of punishment, incarceration, deprivation, they subsidized jobs, housing, food, and education, and the addiction rates went down 50%. I think our problems as humans are often that we don't examine our assumptions, and continue, consequently, practices that make things worse.
It seems, from the researcher's perspective that when our lives are bleak, deprived, oppressive, we turn to those substances that make us feel better, even if they cause us harm.
I'm also thinking of smoking, and it has been reduced to 20% of the population; whereas it was over 50% in the 50s. As a teenager, smoking was cool. It certainly was pleasurable. But, knowing, as they did, the harm it caused, and the refusal to acknowledge it, many suffered and died. It seems that substances are very much connected to our social lives.
Anyway, beautiful day here.
I forgot to include the research done on rats. They were placed in cages, given ordinary water and heroin laced water. They chose the heroin water when there was nothing by isolation and a cage. Given rats in groups, food, playthings, they ignored the heroin water and drank the ordinary water. That was the basis for the change in process with respect to treatment of addicts in Portugal.
Pat, in SLC, when I was growing up, I think *every* non-Mormon of age smoked. I always thought it was a way of declaring that *they* were NOT Mormons--a smoke signal, if you will.
BTW, classy new thread!!
Post a Comment