My job was finally posted today! Hurrah!! I WILL get to retire sometime! I'm supposed to be done at the end of January, but applications are being accepted until Feb 4th. Then they will have to interview some, etc.. So I'm guessing I get to work at least through the 7th, maybe the 12th. Sigh. If so, it all goes to my art account, so I can fund painting and more without taxing our household budget. So that's something.
PAT! How long have you had this cold? Any chance it's something that needs and antibiotic? Any chance it's an allergy?
Best night's sleep in at least several nights. Hi Listener. We went to see the doctor and did get antibiotics. They are helping. This is the nastiest cold I think I've ever had.The doctor said that a cold can begin with a virus, but then bacteria makes it worse. Yes, in this case.
Barb, you tell Burt that those are RAT pictures. Which makes them even cuter, in my estimation, lol!
Gray and cold. Getting grayer and colder for the next ten days. Ick!
Speaking of colds and other winter miladies, I have had this very low grade runny nose for about a month. I hardly notice it, except that in the morning I'm so stuffed up that I'm mouth breathing and the whole inside of my mouth is cracked and sore. As soon's I get up, it turns back into post nasal drip. Nothing really to complain of, but weird.
That's how this cold started. I recommend a saline solution spray, which may help clear your sinuses. Making hot tea and breathing in the fumes helps, also gargling with a salt water solution.
It may be allergies, but bacteria can turn it into an infection.
Favorite niece stood in line for hours on Tuesday to get tickets to President Obama's speech in Boise yesterday. Got her boy's to cut school to go, too! Every once in a while I see my parents genes surfacing in the grands, lol!
Wow, it really was bacterial eh, Pat? I'm so glad you're on the mend!
And puddle, that sounds like no fun…saps the strength you usually get sleeping. Nap if you can.
I've had sniffles too. Sometimes I use Children's Claritin to give me a rest from it, especially at night. But pushing the liquids, salt water gargles, and hot steam are also faves of mine.
Yes, being rats does make it cuter. Just want to hold and snuggle them. Take care with those sniffles! Glad Pat is back on the mend and everyone else seems back in good health.
Yay for double paned windows and cutting energy bills. My water bill went up by $100 with the visit of my daughter and grand. Big owie. Interesting that the electricity went down. But then we were mostly not home - running around Seattle.
Woke this morning to major storm warnings--ice/snow. For the next several days.
Three to five inches, so far. This changes regularly, lol! Not going no where, need to go no where, plenty of food. As long as the electric holds, I'll be okay.
Pat, what is the chance of asking Colorado Republican Senator Cory Gardner to co-sponsor the National Nurse Act of 2015? What do you know about him? The idea is to have it be bipartisan in the Senate as it is in the House.
Just ordered Downton Abbey. Should be here on Jan 27, the release date. And yeah, paid for two day shipping, lol!
Been raining pretty steadily for several hours. Beau did NOT like the smell of things when he went out--hesitated a long time at the door. But no ice, so far.
Feeling better every day. It is a joy to feel good!
Howard Dean was on Bill Maher's show last night. He didn't say much, but did argue that "Islamic terrorists" are not Islamic at all, that they want the prestige of Islam, and to give that to them is to comply. He said that they are thugs and assassins and have nothing to do with Islam.
Bill Maher disagreed, but Howard held his ground. He is still so persuasive.
There was a right winger on the panel whose debate tactics were clever. He was a forceful speaker, but did what dishonest debaters do: change the direction of the argument, ignore, make false analogies. Howard laughed a lot, which was effective in debunking the pretentiousness and opacity of the right winger.
Listener, an excellent suggestion which challenges my prejudices. I have to laugh. I distrust, dislike, and am repelled by Cory Gardener. He is a right winger, dishonest, in my perspective, and as David said, there's no way he'd consider doing anything for the common good. And from my perspective, even if he did, I wouldn't want him to get any credit for it. He reminds us of John Edwards, self promoting, dishonest, glib, with no intention whatsoever to serve the common good.
I'm glad for your suggestion because it forces me to examine my own prejudice.
Puddle and Brenda are the two Downton Abbey fans I know. I thought of you both and had to smile at a title I saw in the book store last week--'Beyond Downton Abbey.' It's intent was to remind the reader that there are other Great Houses in England. But, fans of DA--enjoy!
Cold and damp here today--no strolling the street today
Shirlee, listener is too! And Nancy, my egg lady and rescuer. Nancy and I are late, started just last year. I like coming late, so all the DVDs are ready to go, lol!
Pat, from comments on a Kos diary:
Didn't watch but it sounds like (12+ / 0-)
Stephens was employing the "Gish Gallop" style of debate: spew all manner of insanity without allowing interruption, and leave the reality-based participants to try to refute all of this merde in a short time. Modern Rethugs do this all the time. Sorry that Howard Dean wasn't able to shut this twerp up.
Thank-you, Pat! Well, he doesn't sound like a good choice then. Thanks for the helpful info. I knew you'd know and be articulate. ♥
Oh, puddle! Today the WV Nurses Assn said yes to renewing their support for the National Nurse Act. So Nurse Teri asked if they would mind connecting with Sen. Capito (R-WV). So Teri wonders if you'd be willing to write a letter of support, to Sen. Capito. If so, can she send you a template letter that you can copy paste send if you like. Anyone else you know from WV who might be willing to write?
PS: The Democratic Senator who is sponsoring the National Nurse Act doesn't want to introduce it unless there is a Republican co-sponsor. I think that's wise.
Shelley Capito is a piece of chit. She's a Bush wannabe, and I've written to her before, so if she keeps any kind of records, I'd do the cause more harm than good, lol! I, personally, wouldn't want her *near* any piece of legislation I gave a dam about. Jus' me.
I really do hope one half-decent Republican agrees to cosponsor, though, or the bill will die. But I think it's still possible. Congress is so very polarized, but Prevention really *is* bipartisan! It provides more health for the Dems and costs less money for the Repubs.
Sorry, I just have such visceral feelings about the woman. She really does totally creep me out. But evidently there are people she pleases: she keeps getting elected. She's the daughter of a former and I gather popular governor, and I assume she learned to speak out of both sides of her mouth early. If I came into a room where she was, I'd have to leave for fear of actually going over and hanging a punch on her. VERY few people in my life are able to pull my chain like that, lol!
From the comments on an article about her swearing in. . . .
Fred
If you are unsure as to just how poor a governor Arch Moore was, look him up on Wikipedia. As if a career of crime, theft, and corruption weren't enough, his handling of the Buffalo Creek disaster was one of the best examples of political incompetence in the history of the country, not just the state. I doubt we can expect anything better from Shelley.
The most moderate Republican in the Senate -- or as Democrats argue, the only one left -- Collins will be Reid's first target when he needs GOP votes.
During Obama's first term, the Maine Republican broke with her party more often than any of her remaining colleagues, and now that her state -- and the country -- has resoundingly re-elected the president, she has plenty of reasons to continue.
Also noteworthy: Collins is up for re-election in 2014, and Democrats will be eagerly watching for any of her votes or positions they can use to paint her as out of touch with her liberal state.
Lisa Murkowski
The Alaska Republican has been less loyal to party's leaders since she lost her GOP primary race in 2010 but won re-election as a write-in candidate.
Murkowski later broke with the GOP on a series of defining votes, such as the DREAM Act, repealing "don't ask, don't tell" and the Paul Ryan budget. This year, she spoke out on her party's need to stop alienating women voters and made a public showing of support for Democrats against House and Senate Republican leaders on the Violence Against Women Act.
Yesterday a day in gray, the sky like stained sheets, gray land, gray roads, cold, a closet of a day.
This morning, blue skies, temperature at 60 degrees. A nice reprieve for a day or so.
I wish I could have helped with suggestions, Listener, but I don't know of any Republicans anymore other than the two you presented, Puddle. And, we have too many Republican Democrats.
I do have an optimistic feeling that Obama has them on the run: his decision to work with mayors since Congress is defunct; his executive initiatives, his assertive and confident style along with his humor. Go Barack!
Yes, those two are the only reasonable R's that I am aware of as well.
Glad you're feeling better, Pat. Your descriptions of your days is magical.
I posted a really funny video of a cat on FB. Don't know if this link will take it to you. But it is really funny. Probably one of the funniest cat videos around.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152621058525267&set=vb.100267825266&type=2&theater Can someone please make it clickable?
I'm still taking it easy as, although the dr said I can do regular exercise, when I'm out and about, just walking, the area around my heart does ache and they did say it would take about 3 months to heal. Burt is being so good about doing lifting things for me.
Drat. Last night I had a scratchy throat and today I have a potent cold underway. It makes me all the more glad that I soon won't be spending 14 hours per week at the public library next door to the middle school. Ha!
Hello before Good Night. Listener, watch that cold. I have a friend in Melbourne, Australia who seems to have the same cold we do. Scratchy throat, sinuses runneth over, coughs. It's a nasty one. Rest, hot tea, something to diminish mucus and soothe throat, viatmin C, etc.
Just finished watching Elsa and Fred, a movie a friend sent. Shirley McClain is Elsa and Christopher Plummer plays Fred: two older folks in New Orleans finding laughter, affection, and fun in their late 70s and 80s. A good film.
Thank you for the compliment, Barb, and thoughts for you as you heal. Keep us apprised.
Only got about 4" out of the historic blizzard. Which is fine wit' me, lol! Heavy wet and dripping since I got up. Pretty much too wet to stick to power lines, which is also find wit' me.
The nose drip continues--I don't think it's planning on turning into anything else, just staying for a while as is.
listener: C C C C C Only cold I ever managed to kill I got early, right at the sore throat stage, and hit it with 4,000 C every waking hour. Lasted two days instead of the customary 2 weeks.
Glad that you didn't get the full brunt of this storm puddle, I think folks along the coast in MA,NH and NY and parts of southern VT would gladly trade with you! We're only expecting 3 - 5" here in the valley and it's cold so the snow will be light and fluffy. I'm making a big batch of turkey soup and hunkering down anyway, LOL!
Great photo, puddle! How much snow was on the ground there, and where was 'there'?
Eldest made it home from Florida today. His flight through JFK was cancelled so he got rerouted through Reagan in DC. We are so grateful he got back before the storm! Many will not.
We sure know about storms here in New England!
2006: The major northeast cities from Baltimore to Boston received at least a foot of snow, with an all-time largest amount of 26.9 inches (68.3 cm) in New York City, the most since at least 1869, the start of record keeping. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_blizzard_of_2006
1978: Boston received a then-record 27.1 inches (69 cm) of snow; Providence also broke a record, with 27.6 inches (70 cm) of snow;[3] Atlantic City broke an all-time storm accumulation with 20.1 inches (51 cm). Nearly all economic activity was disrupted in the worst-hit areas. The storm killed approximately 100 people in the Northeast and injured around 4,500.[3] The storm also caused over US$520 million (US$1.88 billion in present terms[4]) in damage.[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeastern_United_States_blizzard_of_1978
So, 2006 was record-breaking for NYC, but 1978 in Boston had the higher total.
In the 1978 blizzard, my brother (who retired this month and isn’t going anywhere in this storm!!) got stuck on Route 128 near Needham. He was very lucky that it happened about a mile from his house as the crow flies. So he just left his car there and trudged home. A LOT of people were stranded in their cars overnight, and that's where some died. Very powerful memories from that storm. I think the wind is what really made things hard in 1978, as it was blowing 100mph for a time, causing 5ft snow drifts. Wild! They say this storm could rival that one...!
Figure 1. Manhattan, New York on February 12, 2006, after the heaviest snowfall in recorded history in the city--26.9". Image credit: Wunderphotographer singwood.
We wanted to let you know that your package may not arrive on time due to extreme weather conditions or an unforeseen natural event. Shipping carriers in the area of your delivery address or cities along the delivery route are reporting delivery delays because of these conditions.
UPS will deliver the package as soon as possible. We're very sorry about this unavoidable delay and we appreciate your patience.
Hang in there, Puddle--your DA will be all the more enjoyable! Chilly, blue sky day here. Too cold to walk the street. Good thing my apartment is at the end of a a long hallway and our mailroom is in the basement. Some good walking exercise. Nice bunch of people who live here always helpful for doors, etc.
Do we know how Listener and Jo are faring in this monster storm?
Shirlee I am doing okay, most of the snow stayed south and east of us. It is snowing pretty hard right now but they said only 3 - 5" here, we'll see if they knew what they were talking about as it's supposed to snow until late tonight. Nothing like Long Island is getting though and Boston and areas along the coast got hit pretty hard.
Have I told you all lately how much I love my doctor?! Things are going well, going to go back to ortho since the cortisone didn't help my back and probably will get an MRI and see where to go from here BUT my doc doesn't want me to do surgery but wants me to work with a pain mgmt. group first. That makes me so happy, she has my back, PUN intended!! Cataract surgery for eye #2 is Feb 16, I will be happy to get it done.
this is my doctor's practice, they teach nursing in practice there, it is a great set-up and gives great care. her name is Deb Norton, scroll down to see her smiling face. she is there only a few times per month as she also teaches and does research. the other NPs and docs there are very nice but she is amazing!
Always good to hear about great doc's. Glad you are not getting too much snow, Jo. I am reading 'The Alchemist' just now. When it first came out 25 years ago I remember the students loving it. I was too busy working, etc. I am enchanted by it. It is wonderful to have time to read or listen to audio books. Retirement is beyond wonderful as long as the old body holds out:). Love to all.
"Do we know how Listener and Jo are faring in this monster storm?"
I went to work. And I was coughing so hard that when our Tuesday helper (sometimes a sub) came in, I was able to leave early. Helps!
Jo is right that we were spared so much, here. Most of my family and many beloved friends have been in harm's way all day and I never like that. My sister-in-law lives on Nantucket and has been without power all day. She has kept her fireplace going strong and snuggled with her four cats, but her house is down to about 56F and falling. Let's hope they can get the power back on in a day or so, not days…!
Youngest, in NH, sent a photo of himself after he had been out snowplowing. He had icicles even on his eyelashes!
Our nephew sent us two videos from his street in Charlestown MA. He lives about halfway down the hill on top of which is the Bunker Hill Monument. With the streets closed and unplowed and what looks like more than two feet of snow on the ground, kids were sledding down the (8 blocks?) long hill and he was skiing down! Ha! Hurrah for Boston!
{{{ ♥ JO! ♥ }}} SO happy for you!! And so excited that you'll soon have the second cataract surgery behind you! All with a great med team to assist you. What a comfort that must be! :-)
Got to work and asked the Director where things stand on finding my replacement, and what the timing looks like. So far, no one who has applied seems to her good for the job. Apparently a few more people took applications, though, and we'll see what that means. While the applications need to be in by the 4th, interviews don't happen until the 9th, at staff meeting. She will need me to work until after the new staff member has had a week or so of training. Since I already said I cannot work on Saturday the 14th (Valentine's Day), my last official day might be the 12th.
I have already said I need a day off next week. I was planning to take Tuesday to hand-dip more candles. Then VT*Grand invited us to a school performance on Thursday, so I would need that day off instead. I have to work Saturday the 7th, and I think that will be my last Saturday unless I sometime choose to sub for someone. The sweet thing is that the helper/sub who made it possible for me to go home early tonight might be able to work Thursdays the next two weeks. If so, it means I am just about done working with the difficult head clerk! wOOt! Hoping!!
The Kids and Grands in Maine got 30" of snow (so far!) plus winds of 20-30 with gusts 40-60, so lots of drifting snow! Imagine digging your cars out of waist deep snow TWICE in the same day!!
Sister-in-law's power on Nantucket is back on!! Hallelujah!
I tend to do C through clementines and especially lemon water, though it's also in my vitamins. With this cold I've been drinking a lot of hot water with lots of fresh lemon squeezed in and a good dollop of local honey. The lemon detoxifies the liver. I'm also taking a Zinc capsule every day or two.
I'm doing so much better at home. Something at the Library makes me cough a lot. I wonder if there's some sort of mold or mildew in the heating ducts, though it doesn't smell funny.
Listener, Can you really not retire until a replacement is found? That could go on a long time.
Puddle, I notice a Nurse Practitioner just signed off on one of my med re-fills. I have mixed feelings about both NP's and PA's. If they're working for a practice which uses them to increase the number of patients through the door it can be a problem. I have a PA working with my RA doc who is not fully aware of the Instructions the doc has given me. I may end up changing rheumatologists if this continues. Too stressfull getting this gal to understand the ins and outs I
I get it, Shirlee. I'm a bit distressed that I don't actually get to see my heart dr except for a minute before a planned surgery, or three months after the surgery. In the meantime, I get to see the NP. I'd feel better if I knew a bit more about her credentials.
I totally get it that it frees the dr up so he can do more surgeries, but it does leave one with a slight sense of uneasiness. Guess I just prefer the personal touch.
Yay for JO!!!!!!
I hope all those back east are getting along ok. I have some family in Jersey and i'll find out how they did as soon as i can get back to my Words with Friends.
Shirlee, as there are really only six regular staffers, for me to exit without a replacement would hurt not only the lax director but all my coworkers. On January 3rd, when I gave notice, I did say I could stay a *little* longer than the end of January if needed. At the time the director said that shouldn't be a problem as she anticipated a large slew of applications. So far there are four. Two are high school students, one is a college student taking a leave of absence from school and the fourth is a woman older than I am. Therefore, none of them is likely to stay more than a year or two or maybe three or four in the last case. It takes to years just to learn the job. Hopefully a few more people will emerge. Yet, as far as I know, the job posting only went out in Front Porch Forum, a local email forum shared by our two towns, and posted just the once. So there will be a limit to my generosity. ;-)
Great News!! Our sub will work the 5th and 12th, so my last day is Tuesday the 10th, and tomorrow is my last Thursday working with the head clerk! :-D Plus, the director just told me she got two more applications in. Maybe one will be a good fit. I am invited to the staff meeting on the morning of the 9th, but also don't have to go. The interviewing will be that afternoon.
Like to add, that I love my local nurse practitioners--but they're pretty much a "substitute" for a doctor. I hated the ones associated with the Upper GI guys. They were just messengers, and not very good ones from the ones I was paying big bucks to.
Just ordered from Amazon another five pounds of almond meal, AND a pound of virgin cocoa butter, and a pound of virgin cocoa powder. Am going to try among other things making my own chocolate chips, lol! Food of the Gods, indeed!
Just learned they're closing our local navy base--and converting the division into either a prison or a college. Just signed a petition that it be a college. . . . Going miss the navy peeps, they're nice neighbors.
As for Downton Abbey…I *loved* it at first. But the creator and author, Julian Fellowes, has a mean streak. He has a tendency to stick pins in my favorite characters and does it suddenly and cruelly. The actors are top notch, but I wish someone else was doing at least some of the writing. Would have loved to see what Bob Larbey would have written for it, but this wonderful writer of As Time Goes By died last March 31st at age 79.
Hooray, Listener!!!! You are going to love retirement. Puddle, did you get your Downton Abbey? A young massage therapist who comes every week to work on my stiff neck and shoulders --remains of last year's surgery plus RA damage--had a shipment from Amazon held up in NJ.
But isn't on-line ordering amazing--especially as it gets physically more difficult to get out? Just made for aging bodies!!! Happy day all!
I did get it, just after four yesterday. I'm now, more slowly, working my way through the second time, lol! Didn't get to bed until just about five this morning.
Fellowes has a large streak of sarcastic. It's not a trait I like much. But they are *all* his characters, and his sense of drama is what it is.
He cleaned up so many open ends this year, I had to google to see if there was another season scheduled (there is).
Okay, so things have taken a turn for the BETTER!!
Today I learned that there be at least one if not two viable applicants for the library job I am vacating! :-)
Plus, today was my LAST THURSDAY working a full shift with the head clerk…! :-D All that remains is two Saturday and two Tuesdays. The head clerk doesn't work Saturdays, and leaves two hours after I arrive on Tuesdays. Sweet!!
Another coworker told me some of them have been talking about taking me out for a farewell tea. I was surprised by that…at once a little gratified and a little weary of the idea. I suppose one can't put the kibosh on a kindness like that. Why do I feel a little awkward about it? If it were just the several coworkers I like, it would be a hoot. But add in the leadership and I will feel uncomfortable at best. Oh well. How long can it last, right?
that is awesome listener! I am so happy for you! I think if anyone should feel uncomfortable it should be the leadership and if you attend the tea with the mindset that you will have a blast, you will!
76 comments:
DEAN!!! Because he is sooooo smart!
Very cute, puddle. You do find the funnest stuff! :-D
The Ghana talk was well attended! Hurrah!!
My job was finally posted today! Hurrah!! I WILL get to retire sometime! I'm supposed to be done at the end of January, but applications are being accepted until Feb 4th. Then they will have to interview some, etc.. So I'm guessing I get to work at least through the 7th, maybe the 12th. Sigh. If so, it all goes to my art account, so I can fund painting and more without taxing our household budget. So that's something.
PAT! How long have you had this cold? Any chance it's something that needs and antibiotic? Any chance it's an allergy?
Ah, Burt's favorite little mousy pictures. Thanks for posting it.
Take care all.
XOXOXOXO
Good Morning,
Best night's sleep in at least several nights. Hi Listener. We went to see the doctor and did get antibiotics. They are helping. This is the nastiest cold I think I've ever had.The doctor said that a cold can begin with a virus, but then bacteria makes it worse. Yes, in this case.
So, I may live, and what a joy it is.
Pictures are darling, Puddle.
Another day, and I'm looking forwardto it.
So glad that you are finally feeling better Pat. May this be the only bug you get this winter! xo
Barb, you tell Burt that those are RAT pictures. Which makes them even cuter, in my estimation, lol!
Gray and cold. Getting grayer and colder for the next ten days. Ick!
Speaking of colds and other winter miladies, I have had this very low grade runny nose for about a month. I hardly notice it, except that in the morning I'm so stuffed up that I'm mouth breathing and the whole inside of my mouth is cracked and sore. As soon's I get up, it turns back into post nasal drip. Nothing really to complain of, but weird.
Could that be an allergy, Puddle? I seem to have new runny nose allergies popping up as I get older :)
New double paned window replacement in. Careful,
courteous crew in and out for most of the day. Should cut down on my Duke energy bill! Take Care All!
Hi Puddle,
That's how this cold started. I recommend a saline solution spray, which may help clear your sinuses. Making hot tea and breathing in the fumes helps, also gargling with a salt water solution.
It may be allergies, but bacteria can turn it into an infection.
Favorite niece stood in line for hours on Tuesday to get tickets to President Obama's speech in Boise yesterday. Got her boy's to cut school to go, too! Every once in a while I see my parents genes surfacing in the grands, lol!
Wow, it really was bacterial eh, Pat? I'm so glad you're on the mend!
And puddle, that sounds like no fun…saps the strength you usually get sleeping. Nap if you can.
I've had sniffles too. Sometimes I use Children's Claritin to give me a rest from it, especially at night. But pushing the liquids, salt water gargles, and hot steam are also faves of mine.
Yes, being rats does make it cuter. Just want to hold and snuggle them. Take care with those sniffles! Glad Pat is back on the mend and everyone else seems back in good health.
Yay for double paned windows and cutting energy bills. My water bill went up by $100 with the visit of my daughter and grand. Big owie. Interesting that the electricity went down. But then we were mostly not home - running around Seattle.
Be well, all. XOXOXO
Woke this morning to major storm warnings--ice/snow. For the next several days.
Three to five inches, so far. This changes regularly, lol! Not going no where, need to go no where, plenty of food. As long as the electric holds, I'll be okay.
Barb, how long was the visit?
So far so good, puddle. Batten down the hatches and take it easy. ♥
For once, we are going to get missed by the storm!
Pat, what is the chance of asking Colorado Republican Senator Cory Gardner to co-sponsor the National Nurse Act of 2015? What do you know about him? The idea is to have it be bipartisan in the Senate as it is in the House.
Just ordered Downton Abbey. Should be here on Jan 27, the release date. And yeah, paid for two day shipping, lol!
Been raining pretty steadily for several hours. Beau did NOT like the smell of things when he went out--hesitated a long time at the door. But no ice, so far.
Good Morning,
Feeling better every day. It is a joy to feel good!
Howard Dean was on Bill Maher's show last night. He didn't say much, but did argue that "Islamic terrorists" are not Islamic at all, that they want the prestige of Islam, and to give that to them is to comply. He said that they are thugs and assassins and have nothing to do with Islam.
Bill Maher disagreed, but Howard held his ground. He is still so persuasive.
There was a right winger on the panel whose debate tactics were clever. He was a forceful speaker, but did what dishonest debaters do: change the direction of the argument, ignore, make false analogies. Howard laughed a lot, which was effective in debunking the pretentiousness and opacity of the right winger.
Listener, an excellent suggestion which challenges my prejudices. I have to laugh. I distrust, dislike, and am repelled by Cory Gardener. He is a right winger, dishonest, in my perspective, and as David said, there's no way he'd consider doing anything for the common good. And from my perspective, even if he did, I wouldn't want him to get any credit for it. He reminds us of John Edwards, self promoting, dishonest, glib, with no intention whatsoever to serve the common good.
I'm glad for your suggestion because it forces me to examine my own prejudice.
Have a good day friends.
Puddle and Brenda are the two Downton Abbey fans I know. I thought of you both and had to smile at a title
I saw in the book store last week--'Beyond Downton Abbey.' It's intent was to remind the reader that there are
other Great Houses in England. But, fans of DA--enjoy!
Cold and damp here today--no strolling the street today
Love to all :)
Shirlee, listener is too! And Nancy, my egg lady and rescuer. Nancy and I are late, started just last year. I like coming late, so all the DVDs are ready to go, lol!
Pat, from comments on a Kos diary:
Didn't watch but it sounds like (12+ / 0-)
Stephens was employing the "Gish Gallop" style of debate: spew all manner of insanity without allowing interruption, and leave the reality-based participants to try to refute all of this merde in a short time. Modern Rethugs do this all the time. Sorry that Howard Dean wasn't able to shut this twerp up.
Thank-you, Pat! Well, he doesn't sound like a good choice then. Thanks for the helpful info. I knew you'd know and be articulate. ♥
Oh, puddle! Today the WV Nurses Assn said yes to renewing their support for the National Nurse Act. So Nurse Teri asked if they would mind connecting with Sen. Capito (R-WV). So Teri wonders if you'd be willing to write a letter of support, to Sen. Capito. If so, can she send you a template letter that you can copy paste send if you like. Anyone else you know from WV who might be willing to write?
Senator Capito was House Rep, who previously co-sponsored the National Nurse Act in the House, so this could be a no-brainer!
Sen. Shelley Moore Capito is a woman, and even a grandmother. That explains her support, to some extent.
http://www.contactingthecongress.org/cgi-bin/newmemberbio.cgi?lang=en&member=WVJR&site=ctc2011&address=&city=&state=WV&zipcode=&plusfour=
Wait, let me make that clickable…
http://www.contactingthecongress.org/cgi-bin/newmemberbio.cgi?lang=en&member=WVJR&site=ctc2011&address=&city=&state=WV&zipcode=&plusfour=
PS: The Democratic Senator who is sponsoring the National Nurse Act doesn't want to introduce it unless there is a Republican co-sponsor. I think that's wise.
Shelley Capito is a piece of chit. She's a Bush wannabe, and I've written to her before, so if she keeps any kind of records, I'd do the cause more harm than good, lol! I, personally, wouldn't want her *near* any piece of legislation I gave a dam about. Jus' me.
Oops, guess I am surrounded! Enjoy, all you DA lovers.
I think my problem is that I have way too much Irish in me!
Some *lovely* Irish characters in there, Shirlee. . . .
:-D No worries, puddle. Let it be.
I really do hope one half-decent Republican agrees to cosponsor, though, or the bill will die. But I think it's still possible. Congress is so very polarized, but Prevention really *is* bipartisan! It provides more health for the Dems and costs less money for the Repubs.
Sorry, I just have such visceral feelings about the woman. She really does totally creep me out. But evidently there are people she pleases: she keeps getting elected. She's the daughter of a former and I gather popular governor, and I assume she learned to speak out of both sides of her mouth early. If I came into a room where she was, I'd have to leave for fear of actually going over and hanging a punch on her. VERY few people in my life are able to pull my chain like that, lol!
From the comments on an article about her swearing in. . . .
Fred
If you are unsure as to just how poor a governor Arch Moore was, look him up on Wikipedia. As if a career of crime, theft, and corruption weren't enough, his handling of the Buffalo Creek disaster was one of the best examples of political incompetence in the history of the country, not just the state. I doubt we can expect anything better from Shelley.
January 7, 2015 at 1:30 am |
Yeah, that says it.
Anybody know of a pretty decent Republican Senator?
Susan Collins
The most moderate Republican in the Senate -- or as Democrats argue, the only one left -- Collins will be Reid's first target when he needs GOP votes.
During Obama's first term, the Maine Republican broke with her party more often than any of her remaining colleagues, and now that her state -- and the country -- has resoundingly re-elected the president, she has plenty of reasons to continue.
Also noteworthy: Collins is up for re-election in 2014, and Democrats will be eagerly watching for any of her votes or positions they can use to paint her as out of touch with her liberal state.
Lisa Murkowski
The Alaska Republican has been less loyal to party's leaders since she lost her GOP primary race in 2010 but won re-election as a write-in candidate.
Murkowski later broke with the GOP on a series of defining votes, such as the DREAM Act, repealing "don't ask, don't tell" and the Paul Ryan budget. This year, she spoke out on her party's need to stop alienating women voters and made a public showing of support for Democrats against House and Senate Republican leaders on the Violence Against Women Act.
Thanks, puddle!
I shared your post with Nurse Teri and she said,
"They are both on our list to visit, if we can get appts."
The NN team will be in DC next month.
Good Morning,
Yesterday a day in gray, the sky like stained sheets, gray land, gray roads, cold, a closet of a day.
This morning, blue skies, temperature at 60 degrees. A nice reprieve for a day or so.
I wish I could have helped with suggestions, Listener, but I don't know of any Republicans anymore other than the two you presented, Puddle. And, we have too many Republican Democrats.
I do have an optimistic feeling that Obama has them on the run: his decision to work with mayors since Congress is defunct; his executive initiatives, his assertive and confident style along with his humor. Go Barack!
Have a good day, friends.
Yes, those two are the only reasonable R's that I am aware of as well.
Glad you're feeling better, Pat. Your descriptions of your days is magical.
I posted a really funny video of a cat on FB. Don't know if this link will take it to you. But it is really funny. Probably one of the funniest cat videos around.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152621058525267&set=vb.100267825266&type=2&theater Can someone please make it clickable?
I'm still taking it easy as, although the dr said I can do regular exercise, when I'm out and about, just walking, the area around my heart does ache and they did say it would take about 3 months to heal. Burt is being so good about doing lifting things for me.
XOXOXO to all.
Clickable Cat!
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152621058525267&set=vb.100267825266&type=2&theater
Barb, whose cat is it? I don't understand why it's funny…? Please tell me that's a harness and not only around the poor pussy's neck. =^. .^=
Drat. Last night I had a scratchy throat and today I have a potent cold underway. It makes me all the more glad that I soon won't be spending 14 hours per week at the public library next door to the middle school. Ha!
Hello before Good Night. Listener, watch that cold. I have a friend in Melbourne, Australia who seems to have the same cold we do. Scratchy throat, sinuses runneth over, coughs. It's a nasty one. Rest, hot tea, something to diminish mucus and soothe throat, viatmin C, etc.
Just finished watching Elsa and Fred, a movie a friend sent. Shirley McClain is Elsa and Christopher Plummer plays Fred: two older folks in New Orleans finding laughter, affection, and fun in their late 70s and 80s. A good film.
Thank you for the compliment, Barb, and thoughts for you as you heal. Keep us apprised.
And with that, Good Night friends.
Only got about 4" out of the historic blizzard. Which is fine wit' me, lol! Heavy wet and dripping since I got up. Pretty much too wet to stick to power lines, which is also find wit' me.
The nose drip continues--I don't think it's planning on turning into anything else, just staying for a while as is.
listener: C C C C C Only cold I ever managed to kill I got early, right at the sore throat stage, and hit it with 4,000 C every waking hour. Lasted two days instead of the customary 2 weeks.
February 12, 2006--I was there!!
http://icons.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/s/singwood/33.jpg
Glad that you didn't get the full brunt of this storm puddle, I think folks along the coast in MA,NH and NY and parts of southern VT would gladly trade with you! We're only expecting 3 - 5" here in the valley and it's cold so the snow will be light and fluffy. I'm making a big batch of turkey soup and hunkering down anyway, LOL!
http://www.wcvb.com/weather/major-winter-storm-could-bring-blizzardconditions-to-massachusetts/30904752
Great photo, puddle! How much snow was on the ground there, and where was 'there'?
Eldest made it home from Florida today. His flight through JFK was cancelled so he got rerouted through Reagan in DC. We are so grateful he got back before the storm! Many will not.
We sure know about storms here in New England!
2006: The major northeast cities from Baltimore to Boston received at least a foot of snow, with an all-time largest amount of 26.9 inches (68.3 cm) in New York City, the most since at least 1869, the start of record keeping.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_blizzard_of_2006
1978: Boston received a then-record 27.1 inches (69 cm) of snow; Providence also broke a record, with 27.6 inches (70 cm) of snow;[3] Atlantic City broke an all-time storm accumulation with 20.1 inches (51 cm). Nearly all economic activity was disrupted in the worst-hit areas. The storm killed approximately 100 people in the Northeast and injured around 4,500.[3] The storm also caused over US$520 million (US$1.88 billion in present terms[4]) in damage.[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeastern_United_States_blizzard_of_1978
So, 2006 was record-breaking for NYC, but 1978 in Boston had the higher total.
In the 1978 blizzard, my brother (who retired this month and isn’t going anywhere in this storm!!) got stuck on Route 128 near Needham. He was very lucky that it happened about a mile from his house as the crow flies. So he just left his car there and trudged home. A LOT of people were stranded in their cars overnight, and that's where some died. Very powerful memories from that storm. I think the wind is what really made things hard in 1978, as it was blowing 100mph for a time, causing 5ft snow drifts. Wild! They say this storm could rival that one...!
So, check this out! The 10 Biggest Snowstorms:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/climate-weather/storms/10-biggest-snowstorms.htm#page=7
Whoa! Check out this animation to see the developing storm! (click on the white arrow)
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/wv-animated.gif
Figure 1. Manhattan, New York on February 12, 2006, after the heaviest snowfall in recorded history in the city--26.9". Image credit: Wunderphotographer singwood.
Thanks, puddle! :-D I asked a question on one blog then found the answer on another. ROFL!!
We wanted to let you know that your package may not arrive on time due to extreme weather conditions or an unforeseen natural event. Shipping carriers in the area of your delivery address or cities along the delivery route are reporting delivery delays because of these conditions.
UPS will deliver the package as soon as possible. We're very sorry about this unavoidable delay and we appreciate your patience.
So. No Downton Abbey today. boo hiss shucks
3.3 inches of snow in Newark, NJ
The package left Delaware, yesterday.
Oh well--at least it comes to my porch. . . . So I get *sumpin* for my ten bucks, lol!
Hang in there, Puddle--your DA will be all the more
enjoyable! Chilly, blue sky day here. Too cold to walk
the street. Good thing my apartment is at the end of a
a long hallway and our mailroom is in the basement.
Some good walking exercise. Nice bunch of people
who live here always helpful for doors, etc.
Do we know how Listener and Jo are faring in this
monster storm?
Shirlee I am doing okay, most of the snow stayed south and east of us. It is snowing pretty hard right now but they said only 3 - 5" here, we'll see if they knew what they were talking about as it's supposed to snow until late tonight. Nothing like Long Island is getting though and Boston and areas along the coast got hit pretty hard.
Have I told you all lately how much I love my doctor?! Things are going well, going to go back to ortho since the cortisone didn't help my back and probably will get an MRI and see where to go from here BUT my doc doesn't want me to do surgery but wants me to work with a pain mgmt. group first. That makes me so happy, she has my back, PUN intended!! Cataract surgery for eye #2 is Feb 16, I will be happy to get it done.
Take care all. xoxoxo
this is my doctor's practice, they teach nursing in practice there, it is a great set-up and gives great care. her name is Deb Norton, scroll down to see her smiling face. she is there only a few times per month as she also teaches and does research. the other NPs and docs there are very nice but she is amazing!
http://www.uvm.edu/~cnhs/nursing/?Page=faculty_practice.html
Always good to hear about great doc's. Glad you are not getting too much snow, Jo. I am reading 'The Alchemist'
just now. When it first came out 25 years ago I remember
the students loving it. I was too busy working, etc.
I am enchanted by it. It is wonderful to have time to read or listen to audio books. Retirement is beyond wonderful as long as the old body holds out:). Love to all.
"Do we know how Listener and Jo are faring in this
monster storm?"
I went to work. And I was coughing so hard that when our Tuesday helper (sometimes a sub) came in, I was able to leave early. Helps!
Jo is right that we were spared so much, here. Most of my family and many beloved friends have been in harm's way all day and I never like that. My sister-in-law lives on Nantucket and has been without power all day. She has kept her fireplace going strong and snuggled with her four cats, but her house is down to about 56F and falling. Let's hope they can get the power back on in a day or so, not days…!
Youngest, in NH, sent a photo of himself after he had been out snowplowing. He had icicles even on his eyelashes!
Our nephew sent us two videos from his street in Charlestown MA. He lives about halfway down the hill on top of which is the Bunker Hill Monument. With the streets closed and unplowed and what looks like more than two feet of snow on the ground, kids were sledding down the (8 blocks?) long hill and he was skiing down! Ha! Hurrah for Boston!
Ha! Somehow the word "snowplowing" got in my post and it should have been "snowplowing"!! :-D Funny how that one letter makes such a difference.
{{{ ♥ JO! ♥ }}} SO happy for you!! And so excited that you'll soon have the second cataract surgery behind you! All with a great med team to assist you. What a comfort that must be! :-)
Got to work and asked the Director where things stand on finding my replacement, and what the timing looks like. So far, no one who has applied seems to her good for the job. Apparently a few more people took applications, though, and we'll see what that means. While the applications need to be in by the 4th, interviews don't happen until the 9th, at staff meeting. She will need me to work until after the new staff member has had a week or so of training. Since I already said I cannot work on Saturday the 14th (Valentine's Day), my last official day might be the 12th.
I have already said I need a day off next week. I was planning to take Tuesday to hand-dip more candles. Then VT*Grand invited us to a school performance on Thursday, so I would need that day off instead. I have to work Saturday the 7th, and I think that will be my last Saturday unless I sometime choose to sub for someone. The sweet thing is that the helper/sub who made it possible for me to go home early tonight might be able to work Thursdays the next two weeks. If so, it means I am just about done working with the difficult head clerk! wOOt! Hoping!!
The Kids and Grands in Maine got 30" of snow (so far!) plus winds of 20-30 with gusts 40-60, so lots of drifting snow! Imagine digging your cars out of waist deep snow TWICE in the same day!!
Sister-in-law's power on Nantucket is back on!! Hallelujah!
Thanks for the C support, puddle. :-)
I tend to do C through clementines and especially lemon water, though it's also in my vitamins. With this cold I've been drinking a lot of hot water with lots of fresh lemon squeezed in and a good dollop of local honey. The lemon detoxifies the liver. I'm also taking a Zinc capsule every day or two.
I'm doing so much better at home. Something at the Library makes me cough a lot. I wonder if there's some sort of mold or mildew in the heating ducts, though it doesn't smell funny.
Been trying to post this for a long time. With luck, this time it takes.
I never knew about nurse practitioners until I moved here. Since then, one great one after another. One dud in twenty years. Not bad at all.
I think the single most important place they have it all over doctors (with a few exceptions) is that they listen; they *hear*. . . .
Listener, Can you really not retire until a replacement is found? That could go on a long time.
Puddle, I notice a Nurse Practitioner just signed off on one of my med re-fills. I have mixed feelings about both NP's and PA's. If they're working for a practice which uses them to increase the number of patients through the door it can be a problem. I have a PA working with my RA doc who is not fully aware of the
Instructions the doc has given me. I may end up changing rheumatologists if this continues. Too
stressfull getting this gal to understand the ins and outs
I
Love to all!!!
I get it, Shirlee. I'm a bit distressed that I don't actually get to see my heart dr except for a minute before a planned surgery, or three months after the surgery. In the meantime, I get to see the NP. I'd feel better if I knew a bit more about her credentials.
I totally get it that it frees the dr up so he can do more surgeries, but it does leave one with a slight sense of uneasiness. Guess I just prefer the personal touch.
Yay for JO!!!!!!
I hope all those back east are getting along ok. I have some family in Jersey and i'll find out how they did as soon as i can get back to my Words with Friends.
XOXXOXOXOXO
Shirlee, as there are really only six regular staffers, for me to exit without a replacement would hurt not only the lax director but all my coworkers. On January 3rd, when I gave notice, I did say I could stay a *little* longer than the end of January if needed. At the time the director said that shouldn't be a problem as she anticipated a large slew of applications. So far there are four. Two are high school students, one is a college student taking a leave of absence from school and the fourth is a woman older than I am. Therefore, none of them is likely to stay more than a year or two or maybe three or four in the last case. It takes to years just to learn the job. Hopefully a few more people will emerge. Yet, as far as I know, the job posting only went out in Front Porch Forum, a local email forum shared by our two towns, and posted just the once. So there will be a limit to my generosity. ;-)
Oops! Slip of the digit:
"It takes to years just to learn the job" should read:
It takes TWO years just to learn the job.
THIS JUST IN:
Great News!!
Our sub will work the 5th and 12th, so my last day is Tuesday the 10th, and tomorrow is my last Thursday working with the head clerk! :-D
Plus, the director just told me she got two more applications in. Maybe one will be a good fit.
I am invited to the staff meeting on the morning of the 9th, but also don't have to go. The interviewing will be that afternoon.
I can almost taste it now!
that IS good news, listener!!
Like to add, that I love my local nurse practitioners--but they're pretty much a "substitute" for a doctor. I hated the ones associated with the Upper GI guys. They were just messengers, and not very good ones from the ones I was paying big bucks to.
Just ordered from Amazon another five pounds of almond meal, AND a pound of virgin cocoa butter, and a pound of virgin cocoa powder. Am going to try among other things making my own chocolate chips, lol! Food of the Gods, indeed!
Just learned they're closing our local navy base--and converting the division into either a prison or a college. Just signed a petition that it be a college. . . . Going miss the navy peeps, they're nice neighbors.
If any of you get MSNBC, Howard Dean will be on Last Word tonight!
As for Downton Abbey…I *loved* it at first. But the creator and author, Julian Fellowes, has a mean streak. He has a tendency to stick pins in my favorite characters and does it suddenly and cruelly. The actors are top notch, but I wish someone else was doing at least some of the writing. Would have loved to see what Bob Larbey would have written for it, but this wonderful writer of As Time Goes By died last March 31st at age 79.
Hooray, Listener!!!! You are going to love retirement.
Puddle, did you get your Downton Abbey? A young
massage therapist who comes every week to work on my
stiff neck and shoulders --remains of last year's surgery
plus RA damage--had a shipment from Amazon held up
in NJ.
But isn't on-line ordering amazing--especially as it gets
physically more difficult to get out? Just made for aging bodies!!! Happy day all!
I did get it, just after four yesterday. I'm now, more slowly, working my way through the second time, lol! Didn't get to bed until just about five this morning.
Fellowes has a large streak of sarcastic. It's not a trait I like much. But they are *all* his characters, and his sense of drama is what it is.
He cleaned up so many open ends this year, I had to google to see if there was another season scheduled (there is).
puddle, which Season of Downton Abbey are you watching, the latest?
Okay, so things have taken a turn for the BETTER!!
Today I learned that there be at least one if not two viable applicants for the library job I am vacating! :-)
Plus, today was my LAST THURSDAY working a full shift with the head clerk…! :-D All that remains is two Saturday and two Tuesdays. The head clerk doesn't work Saturdays, and leaves two hours after I arrive on Tuesdays. Sweet!!
Another coworker told me some of them have been talking about taking me out for a farewell tea. I was surprised by that…at once a little gratified and a little weary of the idea. I suppose one can't put the kibosh on a kindness like that. Why do I feel a little awkward about it? If it were just the several coworkers I like, it would be a hoot. But add in the leadership and I will feel uncomfortable at best. Oh well. How long can it last, right?
that is awesome listener! I am so happy for you! I think if anyone should feel uncomfortable it should be the leadership and if you attend the tea with the mindset that you will have a blast, you will!
lovely, listener!!
Yes, it's season five. I was trying not to do a spoiler. . . .
New thread!! No cute animals!!
Post a Comment