Saturday, June 27, 2015

67 comments:

Pat said...

Good Morning,

WOW! That will be remembered for a long time. Beautiful day here. What a week for our PREZ! I wonder if future generations will know of the demeaning, lies, obstruction, and racism and hate that he has been subjected to. It feels like the wounds have been opened, and we can't turn away and pretend they didn't happen.

Thank you for the new thread, Puddle. I'm hoping your phone line problems will be solved soon. Your message was hopeful.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

yes, thank you puddle! this has been a big week, I am quite pleased with the SCOTUS right now.

whitznd said...

Yes indeed. A good week for the President. His eulogy was amazing. Burt and I watched it together on Rachel as she got permission to play the entire thing with no commercial breaks on her newscast.

The Pride parades are going to be monumental! So wonderful.

But, on the other hand, 4 black churches, in 4 different states, have been burned in the past 5 days. Sore losers. Like someone losing at chess then dumping the chessboard so no one else can play.

Much love to all of you here.

puddle said...

Phone guy talked to Nancy yesterday--the three of them found three problems, and promised if after last night rains, there were more, they'd be back.

We had 3 1/8 inches!! Bridge has been flooded all day, so we'll see.

listener said...

Welcome back, puddle!!!!

Feel free to use the Rene's Bluebells photo out front. :-)

Shirlee Murphy said...

Hi ladies. Just checking in for Shirlee she was having trouble posting. Hope everyone is well!

Shirlee Murphy said...

Great couple of days we have had....and for some reason my posts
would not stick, Anyway, congrats to everybody. Re pubs are gonna
Be sorry they ever tried call the ACA OBAMACARE--it is now a beloved
term.

Brenda is here keeping her Mom in supplies, updating everything and
fixing dinner! Every aging Mom should be so lucky!!!

puddle said...

every mom, aging or otherwise, should be so lucky! Give her a hug from me!

Been a gloriously chilly day here. POSSIBLE TO BREATHE!! And stuff like that. . . .

Shirlee Murphy said...

Important to do...stuff like that! So happy your phone line is in the
process of..maybe permanent repair. Will give Brenda your hug...
might be over the phone tonight...she is up to her neck in organizing
final preparations for our Fourth of July celebration. A big, big day for
GSO!

Last week was such a wonderful week....it was like "take that, you RW folks!

puddle said...

It *was* a wonderful week! Nasty flag, medical care, and love love love!!

I was 19 when I ran into my first out gay person. And since he was already my friend, and I loved him, that was pretty much it for me. We, as a group, used to hang at the Radio City, because the gay members among us were more comfortable. Gay/lesbian couples came in together, split once in, and rejoined to leave. Radio City closed August of 2009, having lasted 61 years. I 'spect there would have been a good deal of celebration over the weekend. . . .

Shirlee Murphy said...

Growing up and living in rural MIchigan...there were always stories
about "the two old women". or the two "batcns" who had always lived together,
but didn't really get to know openly gay people until I was hiring library clerks
for the art library at MSU. One of the best ever taught me a lot. I was aware
that my toddler grand daughter was not happy with the frilly clothes her Mom
was buying for her...so was not surprised when she found the perfect partner
and is now living happily in Chicago working for Whole Foods.


puddle said...

*This* made me laugh!!

Lee 92: And my Facebook feed looks like a war broke out between the Confederates and a Skittles factory.

whitznd said...

Speaking of Skittles. this link has two videos of Marshawn Lynch, Seahawk that hates the media but loves Skittles. the second video shows him jumping backwards into a vat of skittles. what a cool guy. won't do ads for the big guys, but does one for a local Seattle plumbing company.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/marshawn-lynch-debuts-local-commercial-jumps-into-pool-of-skittles-on-conan/

listener said...

Ahhh, half a moment to pop by and say hallo.

Grands from Maine are here (ages 8 and 5) and they are absolutely wonderful and sweet and so good to each other and utterly exhausting! LOL!! Must go now straight to bed as the younger gets up as early as 5:30am!!! If I could but match their energy, I'd be in heaven! :-)

Pat said...

Good Morning,

It's wonderful that your grands stay and play with you, Listener. Yes, they have so much energy. We are hoping to take one of our grands camping, if we can ever get the RV in shape.

I loved the photo of the tents on the White House lawn for the Girl Scouts to camp over night. It's too bad it rained, but what a great opportunity. Can you picture this in Beijing, Moscow, Britain, France, Brazil? Frankly, I wish the Obama's had another term. I'm so pleased and gratified with what they do, what they bring, how positive and creative they are.

A nice day so far.

whitznd said...

Michelle for President!

Shirlee Murphy said...

THERE YOU GO ALL--BARB HAS THE PERFECT ANSWER!!!

I have one more visit from the physical therapist working on my
shoulder. Then an appointment with my hip surgeon to see what
can be done to stabilize this ancient hip replacement. Hoping for
some therapy or stabilization for that....it is beginning to slip and slide:)

whitznd said...

Hope all goes well with your therapist, Shirlee!

puddle said...

Ah, Mz Shirlee--praying that a good/easy solution can be found for the slipping hip!! xox

Shirlee Murphy said...

Thank you,friends...I have a very good orthopedic surgeon
who basically does hips...but also keeps tabs on any other
joint problems...and makes sure there is good communication
among all parties.

Shirlee Murphy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shirlee Murphy said...

That was my slippery finger --posted twice!

puddle said...

Jurassic Park Jesus: http://s3.media.squarespace.com/production/920827/11462743/_wGr8njEWjtI/TLeM9Wu7kQI/AAAAAAAANes/l4fKPzI5oHw/s400/Stacey%2B.%2Bow%2B.%2Bphoto.jpg

listener said...

No slip sliding away, Shirlee! Hoping all goes well.

whitznd said...

HAHAHAHA, Puddle that is a great cake!

puddle said...

Barb, agree!! Someone at the new forum was using it as an avatar, and I tracked it down. Anything that makes me laugh that hard is worth sharing!!

But yanno? After the laugh, you have to pity people who volunteer not to use their brains, eh? Especially when they're feeling entitled to rule and reign over those of us who do. . . . (In God's name, of course, and Godly, and righteous. . . .)

puddle said...

Dang--second time in a week, a guy friend in his fifties died. What the hell is up? Feeling so sad!

whitznd said...

Oh no, Puddle! so sorry for your loss.

Shirlee Murphy said...

So sorry to hear of the loss of your friends, Puddle. Anytime is tough,
but the 50's--way too young. Love to youxoxo...and all!

listener said...

= ♥ =

Pat said...

Thinking of you all, hoping your day will be pleasant. I'm sorry, Puddle, to hear of your friend's death. I lost a friend this past week as well, someone I went through 12 years of Catholic school with. He became a science and computer teacher, was loved by his students. His down-to-earth personality, his sense of humor, his kindness are with me now as I write this.

I was thinking today, when I can finally accept death, then it won't be so frightening, so grievous, just the way of being. I'm not there yet, but most of my life I took being here for granted, involved with every day happenings. Now, as our generations age, we are looking at the reality of death. Each day is precious; time our greatest gift that we have no control over; and friendships, family, love of nature, home, making something and sharing it the gifts we have.

Glad to be here with you.

puddle said...



all the men i have ever loved
father brothers friends sons lovers

have been passionate
about some thing
most about many

a laser a resister a poem
peace justice joy
a painting a pastime a toy
truth honor dirt loam

a sunset or language
kindness or a child
or children or hope
a bed or a boat

a seed a flower a joke
a dream a road irrational numbers
bumblebees hawks stars hummers

have walked that walk
before talking talk
were real and there
and had something to share

whose eyes knew things
whose minds knew things
whose hands knew things


and
hearts
knew
things



jjl
3/17/2007

Pat said...

Oh Puddle,

Just beautiful, wonderful rhymes, wonderful phrases, and true, true, true.

Thank you.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Ah, Puddle what a way with words, thoughts, love you have.
Thank you!

puddle said...

From Phil--puddle's daughter had a new baby today. And I got to name her!! Joy.

Yes!!

puddle said...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=711404135672996&set=a.170231823123566.59548.100004102484804&type=1&comment_id=711814395631970&ref=notif&notif_t=photo_reply

whitznd said...

Such a lovely poem, Puddle! And congrats on the new baby. I love the pattern on the side. Such joy Phil has brought us over the years with pictures of his wonderful herd and naming them after us Deaniacs.

Happy 4th to all of you. Have a safe holiday. We're going to be doing yard work. Mostly safe, I guess. Will resist the urge to pick up those bags of compost by myself.

XOXOXXOXO

listener said...

We just got home safely! :-)

Wildlife*Biologist*Son makes it home tomorrow from above the Arctic Circle, where several polar bears came into their campsite. =Whew!=

listener said...

Welcome new calfy JOY, daughter of Puddle, namesake of puddle!

puddle said...

*Grandaughter* of puddle, lol! puddle was almost totally black with a small white face blaze.

Shirlee Murphy said...

Hi ladies. Brenda here helping ShirMur with her technology issues! Hope you are well

listener said...

Oh, right! GRAND of puddle! :-)

Hallo all! We slept until 11am, and I am finally coming up for air. We went to a shop in a plaza today for some balsa wood and, just after we found what we needed, the fire alarm went off, so we had to evacuate the shop. Turns out it was an issue in a different shop. So we did another errand and came back and all was resoled by then. Strange feeling to it, though. It's in the 80's here now and we have high hazy sunshine due to wildfires in western Canada. Between that an the record brewing rain next month, we wonder if we'll go broke using solar!

Hurrah for Brenda! What would we all do without her help! We need Shirlee here! Thank-you!! ♥

listener said...

Hmmm. Make that "record breaking rain last month" ~ LOL!


We had 5 inches of rain here this past week!

puddle said...

Hugz, Brenda!!

whitznd said...

Thank you Brenda! We've been missing Shirlee. HOT HOT HOT! Our normally 60 degree bedroom in the basement has climbed to 70 and makes sleeping difficult when one is used to sleeping in the high 50s to low 60s. May have to turn on a fan if it stays and it is supposed to be in the high 80s to low 90s here this week. OY!

Too hot to do anything. But trying to get our back yard into some semblance of order. Trying to put my sprinkler system on for 15 min every other day to keep the ferns looking lush. The lawn is another matter. going to have to work at that one.

Have lots to do this week to get stuff for the annual picnic for the 46th LD Dems on Saturday. I normally have everything done and ready to go into the car by now. Shows how burned out I am for doing this any more. But a commitment is a commitment!

much love to all

Shirlee Murphy said...

Everyone have a Happy Fouth? Plenty of activity here in Greensboro!
Found a wonderful little book at our downtown bookstore--
The Sage of Waterloo. The battle of Waterloo and its aftermath
told by a rabbit--or more rightly a whole colony of rabbits who have
Inhabited the farmstead since the time of the battle. If you like
Hobbits--you will like this!l

Shirlee Murphy said...

Gonna be walk in' the streets of Greensboro for.a while yet!!!!!
Hip doc says the hip has slipped only slightly from the last x-ray
two years ago. He thinks it is the plastic lining inside the part of
the replacement which may be moving a bit. X-rays every six
months....continue with Tylenol for pain, if something stronger
is needed he will prescribe Tramadol(?). Happy day!

Pat said...

Hi friends,

Rain, rain, rain today, tomorrow, yesterday. I can't remember ever having such a rainy summer.

Thoughts for you, Shirlee, hoping that your hip situation can be ameliorated. Glad for Tylenol and other pain reducers, though.

Barb, thank you for your commitments. I understand. We do get burned out. That's why and where other folks need to step up. I remember stepping down off the Library Board in Nederland. A friend didn't want me to do this, but my reasoning was and is, that the more people who participate, the better.

The Fourth was nice. Our son and his family put on a fine celebration: good food, warmth and welcoming, good conversation, good will.

Take care, friends.

listener said...

Welcome Back, Shirlee!! :-)

Our 4th began with bringing our Grands back to Maine, then spending the day on the beach with them. Very sweet indeed, and the waves were much larger than usual owing to the near full moon. As witness:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153742929951754.1073742085.637766753&type=1&l=c25b5ae292

puddle said...

We had rain, and we had cool, and we had fireworks. Blessedly, Beau is NOT an animal that fireworks worry.

Today, not so much good. Hotter, for one, and muggy. (steam?)

Shirlee, glad it's not worse; wish it were better! ♥

Every once in a while I'll remember the night sunlight, on the old blog, was teaching us to make hearts, and how furious that made Robert, lol!

whitznd said...

Puddle - LOL!!!!

I wish Bernie would get a blog going! He had another blowout crowd in Portland Maine! SOOOOOO HAPPY

listener said...

Barb, we could make a blog like this one, and invite the world in. But who would moderate?

listener said...

We all know that making the media mad doesn't work well for Presidential candidates. So Bernie just got a leg up from Hillary...
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7727466

listener said...

puddle...sooo many memories! But that one's a classic! :-D

listener said...

♥ ♡ ♥

puddle said...

Well, blessedly cooler than predicted. But now the A/C is on, and the trip upstairs to turn it off is a place too far. Maybe I'll bake something.

listener said...

Ever creative, puddle! LOL!


I am sure looking forward to it being 13F cooler tomorrow than it was today!!


Grand Ivy, age 7, is here and we will have the fun adventure of getting her hair cut on Thursday, as she is going to donate to Locks of Love. ♡

Pat said...

Hi. More rain. It has rained all day since Monday. I've heard from our Storm Mountain network that all traffic is halted above Drake. Maybe a rock slide. I'm wondering, flooding? This weather is unlike any I've experienced in our 40 plus years in Colorado.

Not much new here, actually am tired of the news, though it goes on and on in clownishness: Lyndsey Graham gave a militaristic speech before the Foreign Relations Committee, insisting we need boots on the ground in Syria. Donald Trump may have illegal workers on his new hotel. China's stock market in shambles, and it goes on.

I just read a short story about settling the West and the hardships and dangers. How much has changed in our lifetimes. In WWII, 50 percent of soldiers didn't have the literacy skills to write a letter home. So I've read. And now, people walk down the street, drive, sit, and text in iphones.

Listener, I'm sure you darling granddaughter will remember her whole life her getting her haircut as an activist to helping others.

What did you bake, Puddle? A smile here.

puddle said...

More roast than bake: meat loaf. Did make some chocolate so I can bake some choc chip cookies, but ran out of energy. Tomorrow, mebbe.

My DIL and granddaughter have both done the Locks/Love thing, several times. Their hair grows much faster than mine, lol! What a lovely thing to do!

listener said...

Some day. 7 year old Grand Ivy donated 10" of her hair to Children With Hair Loss, in honour of 7 yr old Ally! [Turns out Locks of Love reserves the right to sell your hair to fund their work, and she would have none of that.] I was very impressed that her mother suggested that I take Grand Ivy for the cut at my hairdresser. It went great. Then we went to a Fairy House workshop at the Library. If that sounds like a repeat of last week, its almost is. Last Weds I took our two Maine grands to the same hairdresser, where, rather than cuts they got their hair braided, then went to a Fairy House Workshop at a different Library. LOL! Tomorrow we're going to paint in the morning, then decorate today's Fairy Houses in the afternoon before I take her home.

Given that last evening I came down with a very sloppy cold (second one this Summer!!), I think I deserve some sort of medal. I look forward to curling up in a ball tomorrow afternoon and Friday in an effort to get well quick, as we'll have little Grandson here nearly all weekend. Yikes!

Pat, I don't like the sound of all that rain…once the ground is saturated bad things happen. We keep reminding ourselves here that flooding beats drought, but sometimes it really doesn't. Keep us posted.

I haven't even had time to catch the news and am beginning to long for a stretch of boredom.

Everybody take care. Achoo! And off to bed for me.

puddle said...

a poem is...


a wall
a door
a window
a walk
a pillow
a blanket
a sink
a scale
a hand
a heart
a hammer
a nail
a wing
an anchor
a ship,
asail



jjl
12/12/2006

Shirlee Murphy said...

Love your poem, Puddle. Absolutely! Warm, but breezy here. I am hunkered down
inside...resting from last week's session on one of those new high tech x-ray machines
and multiple communication between Caremark who supplies my RA med and RA doc's
office to get OK to refill for three months....seemed almost as though there were bugs
in their fax or whatever lines...finally resolved, but. not until Brenda took them in hand!

Stay well, happy, etc!!!

listener said...

A poem is apparently also

a joy

!!

Shirlee Murphy said...

Good addition, Listener. I am guessing the author will approve!

Pat said...

Yes, I like it, Puddle. I'll reread it.

listener said...

Okay, I'm all eyes….Who has some great idears for treating a mean sinus-y cold? Pat, you must be the expert by now.

I am drinking lots of water, gargling with salt water, and resting. What else helps? I have in the house: Advil, Advil Cold & Sinus (decongestant), Children's Claritin (antihistamine), and Robitussin DM. And I have been eating hot soup. [Note: I am NOT taking the decongestant and antihistamine concurrently…!]

What else helps? Many Thanks!

I let our son and d-i-l know and they've elected to have her sister tend Grandson over the weekend instead of us. I concur and am grateful, even as I'm sad to miss him.

puddle said...

New thread!