First pic is from the first movie, where his cousin gets the pig's tail. Second, from fourth, when he sees the inside of the tent, and says, "I love magic!"
Nice photo comparison of Harry (Dan Radcliffe) then and now! :-)
I'm exhausted today, as I'm sorting through mounds of papers from 10-20 years ago, and there is much evidence of the intensity of the ordination process I was in, and the depth of the companioning I did of others, the many workshops I organized, and more and more. I had forgotten so much of it. Reattaching must take energy.
Well, got the new A1c--not good: 7. Highest yet. 68, 63, 64, 70. So much for lo carb bread, noodles, bagels, rolls, et al.! *That* was an experiment that failed, big time. Back to almond flour. Love it, but cannot get a good roll or bread--no samiches. And no tuna salad. Ah, well. I CAN make killer brownies and excellent choc chip cookies.
Yes, I think calling up memories does take a lot of energy!
Bummer, puddle! I know you're careful with sweeteners. Do you need to take insulin, or is switching back to almond flour likely to get you back to pre-diabetic levels? Why no tuna salad? What are your favorite sandwiches? Are there any fillings that work well on lettuce? (You don't have to make a salad, you can roll things up in lettuce leaves.)
Almond flour ought to get me back to low or pre-diabetic levels (Lord willing and the crick don't rise), it was pretty much what dropped it from 68 to 63. But I was hoping for more--somewhere in the fives. Having it jump that much with just the one trial was disappointing, to say the least.
For me, tuna salad will always be with macaroni. I was tolerating it with the lo carb noodles, but clearly. . . . fav samiches are grilled cheese, and roast beef on a roll, cream cheese and olive on rye, and lox and cream cheese on a bagel. . . .
I'm on no meds yet, and since it's just one point over treatment, they're going to wait for the next test to see what I can do.
I see. Well, at least you know what has to happen. Maybe once you've been in the clear awhile you can have the occasional grilled cheese. Meanwhile the rest can be rolled in lettuce. Throw in some caraway seeds with the cream cheese and olive.
I think I'm right behind you. I don't eat sandwiches anymore, but I may have to give up my English muffins.
Sorry to hear your tests weren't what you hoped for, Puddle. But, happy happy to know you can have chocolate!
Love the new images for this thread!
( I am happy you can have chocolate because I now can tolerate only a tiny bit every few months. Bladder irritant. Bah,). So when I really want some, but can't I will think of you!
Listener...I think the Michiganders are totally fed up with their R. Gov. He has made moves that degrade the whole beautiful state. They may be cleaning house. We will see.
Beautiful spring day here. I've put the screens in the doors so we can get a breeze.
Thank you, Listener, for posting the Mary Oliver "Wild Geese". It's a perfect poem in my perception.
Shirley, thoughts your way. To be human is to know sadness, loss, as well as joy and love.
Puddle, I just read an article that said the blood sugar level has been lowered since 1997, from 9.7 to 7.0 in 2003, and consequently 22 percent of the adult population was diagnosed with diabetes. The article was critical in the sense that it meant more people were having to use drugs.
Don't be discouraged. Keep on doing the good things that work for you.
Life is good here. I'm still involved with "getting rid of". I think for some reason I thought I'd live forever to read all the books, dream all the dreams, and life would continue on an adventurous path. I think the path now is more introspective, more whole in knowing that there are stages and realizations about our lives, what it is like to be the human species on this planet.
sorry, Howard is not first here any longer - he has had thousands of firsts but imo he has lost the right for that sign of respect here. please post it on your own blog listener. I may not post here very often but I still have a right to my opinion and I think I made that clear a few weeks ago.
Thank you, Jo. So good to hear from you. I think of you often in your community...and hope you are happy In your apartment. I love mine and its surroundings railroads, fire engines, street musicians and all!
Jo, I think many use it as a "traditional" opening. No one here's been tougher on Howard than listener.
I'm not nearly as angry at him as you two are. But I also was not as close to the core as ya'll--he was never my governor, and till Oct 03, he'd barely touched my consciousness. But his politics then as now are a good deal to my right. Bernie is, and always has been, much closer to the place my heart dwells.
Hope you are well, I know you're missed here.
Thanks Pat for the head's up on the numbers. Gonna check around, and mebbe feel better, eh>
Thanks, puddle. Yes, it was a hat tip to the old days, not a salute to the new. Sorry to offend, Jo. I seem to have missed or forgotten your need for no Dean firsties from here on. Got it now. Is there a way to keep the tradition, such as saying Bloggers are First? Or?
I'm feeling a little sad tonight. Monday is my spiritual guides peer group meeting in NH and I was hoping to meet afterward with my spiritual guide, one to one, as we often have these last 12 years. However, today he sent word that he is close to a diagnosis which is likely to be life changing. He will relate more on Monday, but as he is 81 years old, has long had diabetes, and fell down a flight of stairs last year, anything's possible. I'd appreciate some good vibes this weekend, and for him as well. His name is Frank. Thanks, all. ♥
Thoughts and a prayer your way for your spiritual guide, Listener. Sadness is something we all know and understand. As Thich Nhat Hanh would say, be with your sadness, recognize and experience it and hold and comfort yourself as you a child.
Nice day again. We went down to get our mail. They are taking part of the mountain down to expand the highway. The flaggers are very considerate, letting us return as quickly as they can. This will last for weeks, I think.
Here's hoping that Bernie will win big the coming caucuses and primaries. We need a visionary, an idealist, an ethical person to help us through the anger, fear, and enormous changes in the U.S. and on the planet.
Thanks, Puddle. Her experience seems pretty typical. Mirrors most of what I have picked up from fb groups focusing on natural control of IC. I am not sure one is ever cured...because it seems to be linked to autoimmune problems....it is always there in the background...waiting to bite! Thanks so much, Puddle.
It looks like Brenda and I may be walking to the theater in the rain. Radiant Ubundant is by Preston Lane...who was here when you and your honey were here and Lauralyn Dossett who is now Associate Producer at the theater. LD also composes the music if any is used.
One main difference between T voters and Bernie voters is that T voters are angry and afraid (pessimistic) which causes them to be reactive, mean and self-focused, while Bernie voters are more likely to be angry and courageous (optimistic), which causes them to be pro-active, kind and outwardly-focused.
Primary Day in NC tomorrow. A driver helper will get me to the polling place...and a kind lady will come out with ballot. Going for Bernie here.....Hillary's last twisted version of Nancy Reagan's Stand on AIDS did it! Tired of trying to decipher what she really means.
We loved the performance....art history prof. meets mountain people painting to express their religious beliefs....excellent!
The news is that my spiritual guide has Alzheimer's and is ceasing all guidance. An emotional meeting, as he has been part of the group for nearly two decades.
Another guide I have long treasured as a friend is willing to be my guide, so I will be okay in this. Of course, there is yet a lot to process.
What is amazing to me is that the only hesitation this lovely woman had about being my guide is that, as her spiritual guide is 85 and ailing, she will soon be in a similar situation….and she had been thinking of asking me to be her guide. We decided that having been in this peer group together for 18 years, we will meet one to one and take turns being each other's guide. Authors Jerry May and Tilden Edwards of the Shalem Institute did the same, so there is a worthy precedent. Plus we have both completed programs at Shalem, so we are very much on the same page. We have been spiritual friends before now, and this is just perfect timing. I'd wince at this concept for many guides I know, but this is a uniquely suited situation. Plus, we have other peers if we (or one of us) begin to feel something needs processing.
At our polling place, I have been the person who brings the ballot outside, as we have one citizen who is weak and on oxygen, for whom it would be a great effort to come all the way into the building. I love doing that!! :-)
BTW, I made it there and back again, despite freezing rain, plus pouring rain AND huge snowflakes coming down together at times! In fact, part way home I realised I could take my Mini out of Green mode and put it into Sport mode, to have dynamic traction control and more pep if needed. My Mini never slipped at all, despite not having snows on, and I still arrived home having gotten 45mpg! I'm impressed and pleased!
A cold and very windy day here. Spring has run away, is hiding.
We watched a movie entitled Max, last night. It was about a combat dog whose manager was shot and who went to live with the soldier's family. The movie was filmed in North Carolina, and the scenery was just gorgeous. The movie was fun and very well produced with lots of action, an evil villain (a soldier who was selling arms to militants and the dog seemed to know it) and three teenagers who become heroes along with the dog Max.
Tonight results should come in for the candidates. Here's hoping for Bernie's success.
I a feeling nervous as the first returns come in. If HRC is the nominee, we will lose the nation to Bozo. I cannot abide that!! I cannot!!! W was bad enough!!!!! Arrrrgggghhhhhhhhh!!!!
Oh, please oh please, could the rural parts of the midwestern states turn the tide as votes get reported? Or is all lost?
I'm feeling the same way, Listener. We just turned off the TV, can't stand it anymore. Maybe, maybe Illinois and Missouri will come through. I just don't understand the American people. Well, tomorrow might bring better news.
Well, I'm just plain feeling sad about the results tonight. Mind you, I am not at all disappointed in Bernie Sanders. But I am quite disappointed in Americans this season.
Shirlee, I'm sorry your county went for HRC, but at least it didn't go for the Bozo!
All I have to say is Hillary ....better beat whichever ugly R. turns up in November. A big question is WHY are so many citizens drawn to these ugly creatures?
President Obama is doing his job...naming his choice fo S.C. today. If the Senate does refuse to do their part in the process It will be on their heads,
We had a complicated ballot here in NC...reviewing that carefully and then getting togged up, driven the short few blocks to my polling place ...signing papers...marking the ballot, reviewing it...done tuckered me out!
Cold, cold day here. It was 22 F. when we got up. So sorry Bernie lost last night, but I agree, Shirley, vote democratic. Anything's better than the GOP. Still, I wish I could like Hillary. They say she's bright, but I find her speeches cliched, disingenuous, a list of pronouncements. I gather she's done good things, but I just don't find character that I'm hoping for. I don't know, it may be just personality. She's certainly worked hard all her life. As Secretary of State she traveled more miles than anyone who held that position previously. I did read that the White House kept strong checks on her, and may be there was a reason for it.
I think John Kerry has been brilliant and equally hard working.
Well, we'll see. I just wonder at the American people. Are we really as unintelligent, as clueless, as amoral as those who say they support Trump? We can't have a representative democracy without an educated populace, and I wonder, are we now just rabble who vote on emotion, who don't read, analyze, seek to understand the issues, demand character? I just don't know.
Don't think it'll happen, but fun to think about: What if the Garland offer is only good until November 10? When Bernie/Hill win, and the Senate changes hands? Then he could nominate some hairy badass librul, and the new Senate could finish the process. I also have a sense that Ginsburg is waiting to retire, *safely*--so there's that.
Meanwhile, for the rest of the election season, the Publicans can be seen bragging on being the Do Nothings. . . . Gotta love it! Talk about cranky five year olds smearing raspberry ice cream in their hair. . . .
Is St. Patrick's Day really just beginning? Hard to believe with so much blarney and malarky going on in Congress. We need St. Patrick to come and drive out the snakes! ;-) Good thing we have Bernie O'Sanders!
Love your description of Repubs, Puddle! St. Patrick's Day is in full swing in downtown GSO. McCoul's Restaurant and Pub in sight from my apartment has flags flying and live music. Will go on all day and into the night! Love it.
I have a new massage therapist for my neck and upper shoulder. Very good and explains carefully. Strange, strange thing..when I heard him coming down the hall with Brenda I could have sworn it was one of my uncles. His voice has that somewhat gravelly sound as theirs did. In addition.... he also looks like them.. Well sure enough he is Scotch Irish.....but there are a lot of those in this area, but I've never met quite such a match. Happy St. Patrick's Day! Love to all.
First thought was "Better Irish uncles than Norwegian uncles," lol! Which isn't strictly true--had one Norwegian uncle I adored. Something I noticed growing up about the Norwegian world view: seems they're sad that the world isn't better, and sigh. . . . I've wondered if Edwin and I weren't so good together because we're both half Norwegian.
Bright, windy, cooler day here. With snow predicted for the first day of spring!!
Shirlee! I'm Scotch Irish too! I haven't heard that term in a long while. My Dad's family left Scotland and sojourned in Ireland for some years before coming to New England. But, oh my goodness, they would never admit it! I only found out at an uncle's funeral when I wore the family tartan and a distant cousin related the tale. My Mom's family was 110% Irish Roman Catholic, and that you may tie to! Ha!
We have about 8 inches of snow and it's still snowing. The snow is light, not moisture heavy, but it is winter again.
A smile, I'm Scotch Irish as well: Shea, Scanlon, and McDonald. Great Grandmother Irish, Great Grandfather Scots. Guess we're a pack.
I just skimmed the latest Colorado Review, and frankly, I'm bewildered. The poetry has no resonance whatsoever with me. Aren't the arts supposed to be communication? empathy? insight? story? musicality? spirituality? but the poetry, to me, is gobbledegook, obscure, self-indulgent, non-communicative, without structure, reason, theme, or even ordinary comprehensibility. I give up! Maybe it's like abstract expressionism, discordant music, the photographs of art works that Harpers Magazine publishes. I just don't get it.
And so, another day of winter. I'm at the point, I guess, I don't care who wins the presidency, as long as it's not Republicans. I think maybe our politics reflects the discord, the incomprehensiblity of the arts.
We need the moisture, so no complaints about the snow.
Cool, bright, windy. Tired of windy. Might be time for peepers--usually they get snowed on the first week. Ma Nature's tricky that way. Have had a couple of flies this week. Always spiders first, then dinner (flies).
listener, the "solution" posited in the yahoo article is someone's nightmare. But is never gonna happen: Publicans are NOT gamblers. They haven't, for the most part, yet admitted that the turnip is a problem they've been creating for 40 years. They seem still committed to more of the same: drumming up hate. Thing is: You can't kill hate with hate--the only thing that'll work is love, and love is not in them.
Still cold here,though the skies are blue and clear. I listened to NPR last night, American Routes, and I was enthralled for two hours. Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Judy Collins, Joan Biaz, Pete Seeger, Dan Rush, Ledbelly, wonderfully produced the signature songs that so infused the 60s. The idealism, the energy, the alternate life styles, the activism, what a time of music, collaboration, and enthusiasm that was. This is the kind of light and energy that Bernie Sanders brings, I think. And, it is needed, so needed.
Hillary and Bill have used the system in their success politically, economically, socially, and I don't fault them for that. A politician has to be able to manipulate the system that is, but we don't need that now; in fact, it represents much that we find corrupt, ineffective, destructive. We do need a Bernie revolution, though I wonder, it it possible? I think of Eugene McCarthy, Robert Kennedy, George McGovern, Al Gore, Howard Dean, all in their own way idealists, representing a departure from the old, the decaying, the mistaken, the corrupt, and yet, and yet, we weren't able to get the powers of the Democratic Party and the people behind them.
Well, have a good day. Off to a poetry reading at the Loveland Museum.
And here's a poem in draft for today's reading. Not sure about this.
Wolves and Children
“In the wild a wolf is considered to be an adult Around 2.5 to 3.5 years of age. At this age the young Adult wolves are typically observed, “leaving home,” Striking out to find their own territory and mate.” From W.O.L.F., summer 2014, p. 17 “Sasha and Pax Break Up”
Let’s see, 18 divided by 3 Equals 6, 6 years for each one Of yours when you announced You were leaving to live on your own.
OK, that’s right, we understood. We’d done the same ourselves. What we didn’t think about Is that you’d never come back.
And we hadn’t either except For visits, infrequent and short And so it seems the world and we Are destined to move away and out.
And those years we were together Growing years affectionate and fraught Our vortex like spirals, always Always moving in opposition.
Even wolves are individuals, Having the need and impetus to leave To move away, to be on their own Nature seems to have decreed.
Like the stars that now Are speeding farther apart Until someday there’s only dark No stars, no children, no life.
Do you suppose the herding tribes Knew what we have only begun To see, opposing spirals everywhere On fabric, yurts, carved into rock
That life is always circling out However close we try to hold, and keep, to make now a forever. What we’re learning from the wolves.
My concern about online voting is that someone could pose as someone else to vote more than once. It's all too easy when you can't be seen. I imagine that when "they" finally have all of us using devices that respond to a fingerprint, then they'll be able to do large-scale online voting. https://www.verifiedvoting.org/resources/internet-voting/vote-online/
Thank you, Listener, for your comments, your ideas, and your participation. I will think about your offering, and maybe another poem will come forth. I'm aware of the Akashic (spell?) records wherein everything about the universe is recorded, lasts forever in universal memory. As a former Catholic, I have ingrained skepticism and am slow to accept new beliefs, but I'm grateful for them. I would love to understand more, and I'll keep trying.
And this from Wikipedia: The akashic record is like an immense photographic film, registering all the desires and earth experiences of our planet. Those who perceive it will see pictured thereon: The life experiences of every human being since time began, the reactions to experience of the entire animal kingdom, the aggregation of the thought-forms of a karmic nature (based on desire) of every human unit throughout time. Herein lies the great deception of the records. Only a trained occultist can distinguish between actual experience and those astral pictures created by imagination and keen desire.
AWWWW folks. Went to the Bernie rally. at work now, but will post links to some pictures. Used my lighted Bernie sign and in every panorama picture they took, my sign stood out. couldn't read it, but it stood out!
Browser kept crashing yesterday, so multiple system restores later, somehow ended up on double day time savings. Twas lovely--fully light at 8 pm, lol! Didn't pick up on it till I went to bed, and the bedside clock was an hour earlier. . . .
Other night on over-night radio was a fella who called in convinced, among other things, that his sciatica was injected by aliens. . . . Doesn't escape notice that these people vote.
I have to laugh. I'm curious, curious about ESP, those huge designs in the Peruvian desert, crop circles, all the weird and wacky hypotheses that are out there. I'd love to have ESP, but I do think that those we care about, with whom we in are in contact, intuition often operates in surprising ways. Sometimes I think of someone I haven't seen in years, and lo and behold, I hear from that person. Weird.
In the National Parks Conservation magazine is a photo of the Lassen desert in California near Riverside and Sacramento. The sky is the darkest sky in the continental US as to having the least amount of artificial light, and oh, the stars, stars so multitudinous they can't be counted. How vast this universe is, and I know almost nothing. A smile for you, my friends.
Nazca Lines from Wikipedia: The Nazca Lines /ˈnæzkə/ are a series of ancient geoglyphs located in the Nazca Desert[citation needed] in southern Peru. They were designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994. The high, arid plateau stretches more than 80 km (50 mi) between the towns of Nazca and Palpa on the Pampas de Jumana about 400 km south of Lima. Although some local geoglyphs resemble Paracas motifs, scholars believe the Nazca Lines were created by the Nazca culture between 500 B.C.E. and 500 C.E..[1] The hundreds of individual figures range in complexity from simple lines to stylized hummingbirds, spiders, monkeys, fish, sharks, orcas, and lizards.
I was actually referring mainly to the wisdom of Rilke, who asserted that God is our heir, who receives all we are and do and will give it back to us through all eternity. I was musing over that recently, and shared it with my (now former) spiritual guide who has been given the diagnosis of Alzheimer's. He wrote back that it was a true encouragement for the days ahead. See what you think. It's as if Rilke tapped into the akashic concept lang syne.
YOU INHERIT THE GREEN Rainer Maria Rilke Translated by Joanna Macy and Anita Barrows
And you inherit the green of varnished gardens and the motionless blue of fallen skies, dew of a thousand dawns, countless summers the sun sang, and springtimes to break your heart like a young woman’s letters.
You inherit the autumns, folded like festive clothing in the memories of poets; and all the winters, like abandoned fields, bequeath you their quietness. You inherit Venice, Kazan, and Rome;
Florence will be yours, and Pisa’s cathedral, Moscow with bells like memories, and the Troiska convent, and that monastery whose maze of tunnels lies swallowed under Kiev’s gardens.
Sound will be yours, of string and brass and reed, and sometimes the songs will seem to come from inside of you.
For your sake poets sequester themselves, gather images to church the mind, journey forth, ripening with metaphor, and all their lives they are so alone... And painters paint their pictures only that the world, so transient as you have made it, can be given back to you, to last forever.
All becomes eternal. See: In the Mona Lisa some woman has long since ripened like wine, and the enduring feminine is held there through all the ages.
Those who create are like you. They long for the eternal. They say, Stone, be forever! And that means: be yours.
And lovers also gather your inheritance. They are the poets of one brief hour. They kiss an expressionless mouth into a smile as if creating it anew, more beautiful.
Awakening desire, they make a place where pain can enter; that’s how growing happens. They bring suffering along with their laughter, and longings that had slept and now awaken to weep in a strangers arms.
They let the riddles pile up and then they die the way animals die, without making sense of it. But maybe in those who come after, their green life will ripen; it’s then that you will inherit the love to which they gave themselves so blindly, as in a sleep.
Thus the overflow from things pours into you. Just as a fountain’s higher basins spill down like strands of loosened hair into the lowest vessel, so streams the fullness into you, when things and thoughts cannot contain it.
Barb, what a fabulous rally! Bernie's speech in Seattle is the BEST I've noted from him. He is getting better and better at this!! He was on message, relatively succinct, clear, and we'll phrased, yet you could tell he wasn't just giving a speech but was speaking from the heart. I loved the part about not judging by what the media says but by what our hearts and minds tell us. He is so deeply honest that he hasn't feign false faith, yet from the perspective of someone who has a theology background, he is the most faithful of the lot of them. His heart and message have to be resonating with all people of real faith. As the theologian Karl Rahner said, there are some in whom Christ is implicit if not explicit. ;-)
Bright spring sun this morning. Off to Estes Park for a new watch battery. For two days, I've been timeless.
Thank you, Listener. I love Rilke. I'm thinking of his "Archaic Torso of Apollo" wherein he says, "You must change your life." I think of that often, and the poem you posted is so musical, so beautiful, that knowing so much is lost, it's persuasive that nothing ever is and comes back to us.
It's the musical poets I love best: Yeats, Dylan Thomas, Rilke, e.e. cummings, Leonard Cohen, Gary Snyder, etc. I also love Robert Frost, much of his poetry raw, conversational, but embodying metaphors that stay in the mind.
Well, have a nice day today. Tomorrow we are supposed to get snow. Oh well.
If you really want to know where I have been... Google Explosion in Grennsboro.....aroundthecorner from the Lofts whereIlive...so everybody was evacuated.....bigsecurityman carried me down the stairs, waited outside with other folks, finally called Brenda and had a good night's sleep and good care with her. Came home yesterday. Still weary. Love to all.
Yep! Still weary today.....bout recovering ;). I feel so sorry for the owner of the lovely old Biltmore hotel. Brenda says he had just updated rooms and the facade. I truly hope Duke Energy gets the bill for this!
Ohhhh myyyyy, Shirlee!! I just saw the video online of the explosion and was amazed as a car had just passed that spot when it happened. I'm so glad no one was injured, though it sounds like it was a huge inconvenience for a lot of people, and especially for the hotel. Hurrah for Brenda and for things getting resolved. Take it easy for a day or two. ♥
Glad you are all right, Shirlee, and glad no one was hurt. But, it takes a lot out of us when something like that happens. It also takes some time for normalcy to return.
70 comments:
First pic is from the first movie, where his cousin gets the pig's tail. Second, from fourth, when he sees the inside of the tent, and says, "I love magic!"
love love love that little boy!
Nice photo comparison of Harry (Dan Radcliffe) then and now! :-)
I'm exhausted today, as I'm sorting through mounds of papers from 10-20 years ago, and there is much evidence of the intensity of the ordination process I was in, and the depth of the companioning I did of others, the many workshops I organized, and more and more. I had forgotten so much of it. Reattaching must take energy.
Well, got the new A1c--not good: 7. Highest yet. 68, 63, 64, 70. So much for lo carb bread, noodles, bagels, rolls, et al.! *That* was an experiment that failed, big time. Back to almond flour. Love it, but cannot get a good roll or bread--no samiches. And no tuna salad. Ah, well. I CAN make killer brownies and excellent choc chip cookies.
Yes, I think calling up memories does take a lot of energy!
Bummer, puddle! I know you're careful with sweeteners. Do you need to take insulin, or is switching back to almond flour likely to get you back to pre-diabetic levels? Why no tuna salad? What are your favorite sandwiches? Are there any fillings that work well on lettuce? (You don't have to make a salad, you can roll things up in lettuce leaves.)
Almond flour ought to get me back to low or pre-diabetic levels (Lord willing and the crick don't rise), it was pretty much what dropped it from 68 to 63. But I was hoping for more--somewhere in the fives. Having it jump that much with just the one trial was disappointing, to say the least.
For me, tuna salad will always be with macaroni. I was tolerating it with the lo carb noodles, but clearly. . . . fav samiches are grilled cheese, and roast beef on a roll, cream cheese and olive on rye, and lox and cream cheese on a bagel. . . .
I'm on no meds yet, and since it's just one point over treatment, they're going to wait for the next test to see what I can do.
I see. Well, at least you know what has to happen. Maybe once you've been in the clear awhile you can have the occasional grilled cheese. Meanwhile the rest can be rolled in lettuce. Throw in some caraway seeds with the cream cheese and olive.
I think I'm right behind you. I don't eat sandwiches anymore, but I may have to give up my English muffins.
PS: Ohhh, you meant tuna-macaroni salad, didn't you? I thought you meant just tuna and mayo. :-D
Sorry to hear your tests weren't what you hoped for, Puddle.
But, happy happy to know you can have chocolate!
Love the new images for this thread!
( I am happy you can have chocolate because I now
can tolerate only a tiny bit every few months. Bladder
irritant. Bah,). So when I really want some, but can't
I will think of you!
Listener...I think the Michiganders are totally fed up with
their R. Gov. He has made moves that degrade the whole
beautiful state. They may be cleaning house. We will see.
Love to all...
Hi Y'all,
Beautiful spring day here. I've put the screens in the doors so we can get a breeze.
Thank you, Listener, for posting the Mary Oliver "Wild Geese". It's a perfect poem in my perception.
Shirley, thoughts your way. To be human is to know sadness, loss, as well as joy and love.
Puddle, I just read an article that said the blood sugar level has been lowered since 1997, from 9.7 to 7.0 in 2003, and consequently 22 percent of the adult population was diagnosed with diabetes. The article was critical in the sense that it meant more people were having to use drugs.
Don't be discouraged. Keep on doing the good things that work for you.
Life is good here. I'm still involved with "getting rid of". I think for some reason I thought I'd live forever to read all the books, dream all the dreams, and life would continue on an adventurous path. I think the path now is more introspective, more whole in knowing that there are stages and realizations about our lives, what it is like to be the human species on this planet.
But, spring, ah spring. Today is a delight.
sorry, Howard is not first here any longer - he has had thousands of firsts but imo he has lost the right for that sign of respect here. please post it on your own blog listener. I may not post here very often but I still have a right to my opinion and I think I made that clear a few weeks ago.
love and prayers to Shirlee and family.
Thank you, Jo. So good to hear from you. I think of
you often in your community...and hope you are happy
In your apartment. I love mine and its surroundings
railroads, fire engines, street musicians and all!
Jo, I think many use it as a "traditional" opening. No one here's been tougher on Howard than listener.
I'm not nearly as angry at him as you two are. But I also was not as close to the core as ya'll--he was never my governor, and till Oct 03, he'd barely touched my consciousness. But his politics then as now are a good deal to my right. Bernie is, and always has been, much closer to the place my heart dwells.
Hope you are well, I know you're missed here.
Thanks Pat for the head's up on the numbers. Gonna check around, and mebbe feel better, eh>
Thanks, puddle. Yes, it was a hat tip to the old days, not a salute to the new. Sorry to offend, Jo. I seem to have missed or forgotten your need for no Dean firsties from here on. Got it now. Is there a way to keep the tradition, such as saying Bloggers are First? Or?
I'm feeling a little sad tonight. Monday is my spiritual guides peer group meeting in NH and I was hoping to meet afterward with my spiritual guide, one to one, as we often have these last 12 years. However, today he sent word that he is close to a diagnosis which is likely to be life changing. He will relate more on Monday, but as he is 81 years old, has long had diabetes, and fell down a flight of stairs last year, anything's possible. I'd appreciate some good vibes this weekend, and for him as well. His name is Frank. Thanks, all. ♥
listener, will do.
Shirlee--http://hubpages.com/health/UTI-Symptoms-but-no-Bacteria-My-Experience Have no idea if this applies, but it's interesting.
Nice day here. Just set my clock forward for tomorrow.
Good news is that tomorrow, it will still be light at 7:30!
Hi friends,
Thoughts and a prayer your way for your spiritual guide, Listener. Sadness is something we all know and understand. As Thich Nhat Hanh would say, be with your sadness, recognize and experience it and hold and comfort yourself as you a child.
Nice day again. We went down to get our mail. They are taking part of the mountain down to expand the highway. The flaggers are very considerate, letting us return as quickly as they can. This will last for weeks, I think.
Here's hoping that Bernie will win big the coming caucuses and primaries. We need a visionary, an idealist, an ethical person to help us through the anger, fear, and enormous changes in the U.S. and on the planet.
Sleep well, friends..
Thanks, Puddle. Her experience seems pretty typical.
Mirrors most of what I have picked up from fb groups
focusing on natural control of IC. I am not sure one is
ever cured...because it seems to be linked to autoimmune
problems....it is always there in the background...waiting
to bite! Thanks so much, Puddle.
It looks like Brenda and I may be walking to the
theater in the rain. Radiant Ubundant is by Preston
Lane...who was here when you and your honey were here
and Lauralyn Dossett who is now Associate Producer
at the theater. LD also composes the music if any is
used.
Best wishes, happy Sunday to all!
Redundant I seem to be today! Sorry.
Never redundant! Have a grand time at the theatre. Raining here, also. But nicely--sweet spring rain.
It is indeed a fascinating article!
One main difference between T voters and Bernie voters is that T voters are angry and afraid (pessimistic) which causes them to be reactive, mean and self-focused, while Bernie voters are more likely to be angry and courageous (optimistic), which causes them to be pro-active, kind and outwardly-focused.
Primary Day in NC tomorrow. A driver helper will get me to the
polling place...and a kind lady will come out with ballot.
Going for Bernie here.....Hillary's last twisted version of Nancy Reagan's
Stand on AIDS did it! Tired of trying to decipher what she really means.
We loved the performance....art history prof. meets mountain people
painting to express their religious beliefs....excellent!
Thanks for the prayers.
The news is that my spiritual guide has Alzheimer's and is ceasing all guidance. An emotional meeting, as he has been part of the group for nearly two decades.
Another guide I have long treasured as a friend is willing to be my guide, so I will be okay in this. Of course, there is yet a lot to process.
What is amazing to me is that the only hesitation this lovely woman had about being my guide is that, as her spiritual guide is 85 and ailing, she will soon be in a similar situation….and she had been thinking of asking me to be her guide. We decided that having been in this peer group together for 18 years, we will meet one to one and take turns being each other's guide. Authors Jerry May and Tilden Edwards of the Shalem Institute did the same, so there is a worthy precedent. Plus we have both completed programs at Shalem, so we are very much on the same page. We have been spiritual friends before now, and this is just perfect timing. I'd wince at this concept for many guides I know, but this is a uniquely suited situation. Plus, we have other peers if we (or one of us) begin to feel something needs processing.
Go Shirlee Go!
At our polling place, I have been the person who brings the ballot outside, as we have one citizen who is weak and on oxygen, for whom it would be a great effort to come all the way into the building. I love doing that!! :-)
BTW, I made it there and back again, despite freezing rain, plus pouring rain AND huge snowflakes coming down together at times! In fact, part way home I realised I could take my Mini out of Green mode and put it into Sport mode, to have dynamic traction control and more pep if needed. My Mini never slipped at all, despite not having snows on, and I still arrived home having gotten 45mpg! I'm impressed and pleased!
Glad you're home safe, sorry the news wasn't better, glad it wasn't worse.
That says it, puddle. Exactly.
Hi friends,
A cold and very windy day here. Spring has run away, is hiding.
We watched a movie entitled Max, last night. It was about a combat dog whose manager was shot and who went to live with the soldier's family. The movie was filmed in North Carolina, and the scenery was just gorgeous. The movie was fun and very well produced with lots of action, an evil villain (a soldier who was selling arms to militants and the dog seemed to know it) and three teenagers who become heroes along with the dog Max.
Tonight results should come in for the candidates. Here's hoping for Bernie's success.
I a feeling nervous as the first returns come in. If HRC is the nominee, we will lose the nation to Bozo. I cannot abide that!! I cannot!!! W was bad enough!!!!! Arrrrgggghhhhhhhhh!!!!
Oh, please oh please, could the rural parts of the midwestern states turn the tide as votes get reported? Or is all lost?
I'm feeling the same way, Listener. We just turned off the TV, can't stand it anymore. Maybe, maybe Illinois and Missouri will come through. I just don't understand the American people. Well, tomorrow might bring better news.
Well, I'm just plain feeling sad about the results tonight. Mind you, I am not at all disappointed in Bernie Sanders. But I am quite disappointed in Americans this season.
Shirlee, I'm sorry your county went for HRC, but at least it didn't go for the Bozo!
Incase you hadn't had the heart to look:
HRC came out ahead in all 5 states tonight.
=Heavy Sigh=
Yeah, I did. Alas. But two can get recounts, they're that close.
All I have to say is Hillary ....better beat whichever ugly R.
turns up in November. A big question is WHY are so many
citizens drawn to these ugly creatures?
President Obama is doing his job...naming his choice fo S.C.
today. If the Senate does refuse to do their part in the process
It will be on their heads,
We had a complicated ballot here in NC...reviewing that carefully
and then getting togged up, driven the short few blocks to my polling
place ...signing papers...marking the ballot, reviewing it...done
tuckered me out!
Love to all...happy sunny day!
Hi,
Cold, cold day here. It was 22 F. when we got up. So sorry Bernie lost last night, but I agree, Shirley, vote democratic. Anything's better than the GOP. Still, I wish I could like Hillary. They say she's bright, but I find her speeches cliched, disingenuous, a list of pronouncements. I gather she's done good things, but I just don't find character that I'm hoping for. I don't know, it may be just personality. She's certainly worked hard all her life. As Secretary of State she traveled more miles than anyone who held that position previously. I did read that the White House kept strong checks on her, and may be there was a reason for it.
I think John Kerry has been brilliant and equally hard working.
Well, we'll see. I just wonder at the American people. Are we really as unintelligent, as clueless, as amoral as those who say they support Trump? We can't have a representative democracy without an educated populace, and I wonder, are we now just rabble who vote on emotion, who don't read, analyze, seek to understand the issues, demand character? I just don't know.
Well, off soon to walk Molly.
Don't think it'll happen, but fun to think about: What if the Garland offer is only good until November 10? When Bernie/Hill win, and the Senate changes hands? Then he could nominate some hairy badass librul, and the new Senate could finish the process. I also have a sense that Ginsburg is waiting to retire, *safely*--so there's that.
Meanwhile, for the rest of the election season, the Publicans can be seen bragging on being the Do Nothings. . . . Gotta love it! Talk about cranky five year olds smearing raspberry ice cream in their hair. . . .
Is St. Patrick's Day really just beginning? Hard to believe with so much blarney and malarky going on in Congress.
We need St. Patrick to come and drive out the snakes! ;-) Good thing we have Bernie O'Sanders!
Love your description of Repubs, Puddle!
St. Patrick's Day is in full swing in downtown GSO.
McCoul's Restaurant and Pub in sight from my apartment
has flags flying and live music. Will go on all day and
into the night! Love it.
I have a new massage therapist for my neck and upper shoulder.
Very good and explains carefully. Strange, strange thing..when I
heard him coming down the hall with Brenda I could have sworn it
was one of my uncles. His voice has that somewhat gravelly sound
as theirs did. In addition.... he also looks like them.. Well sure enough
he is Scotch Irish.....but there are a lot of those in this area, but I've
never met quite such a match. Happy St. Patrick's Day! Love to all.
First thought was "Better Irish uncles than Norwegian uncles," lol! Which isn't strictly true--had one Norwegian uncle I adored. Something I noticed growing up about the Norwegian world view: seems they're sad that the world isn't better, and sigh. . . . I've wondered if Edwin and I weren't so good together because we're both half Norwegian.
Bright, windy, cooler day here. With snow predicted for the first day of spring!!
Shirlee! I'm Scotch Irish too! I haven't heard that term in a long while. My Dad's family left Scotland and sojourned in Ireland for some years before coming to New England. But, oh my goodness, they would never admit it! I only found out at an uncle's funeral when I wore the family tartan and a distant cousin related the tale. My Mom's family was 110% Irish Roman Catholic, and that you may tie to! Ha!
We have about 8 inches of snow and it's still snowing. The snow is light, not moisture heavy, but it is winter again.
A smile, I'm Scotch Irish as well: Shea, Scanlon, and McDonald. Great Grandmother Irish, Great Grandfather Scots. Guess we're a pack.
I just skimmed the latest Colorado Review, and frankly, I'm bewildered. The poetry has no resonance whatsoever with me. Aren't the arts supposed to be communication? empathy? insight? story? musicality? spirituality? but the poetry, to me, is gobbledegook, obscure, self-indulgent, non-communicative, without structure, reason, theme, or even ordinary comprehensibility. I give up! Maybe it's like abstract expressionism, discordant music, the photographs of art works that Harpers Magazine publishes. I just don't get it.
And so, another day of winter. I'm at the point, I guess, I don't care who wins the presidency, as long as it's not Republicans. I think maybe our politics reflects the discord, the incomprehensiblity of the arts.
We need the moisture, so no complaints about the snow.
Cool, bright, windy. Tired of windy. Might be time for peepers--usually they get snowed on the first week. Ma Nature's tricky that way. Have had a couple of flies this week. Always spiders first, then dinner (flies).
This may be the year we get both an early Spring and a late Winter. Heh.
At least 8" of snow enters the soil at a respectable rate, not like 8" of rain would have.
We did not get "up to 2" of snow" overnight as predicted. All we got were some random snowflakes while the sun was out.
.WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EDT
SUNDAY...
* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW.
* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 8 INCHES.
listener, the "solution" posited in the yahoo article is someone's nightmare. But is never gonna happen: Publicans are NOT gamblers. They haven't, for the most part, yet admitted that the turnip is a problem they've been creating for 40 years. They seem still committed to more of the same: drumming up hate. Thing is: You can't kill hate with hate--the only thing that'll work is love, and love is not in them.
Good Morning,
Still cold here,though the skies are blue and clear. I listened to NPR last night, American Routes, and I was enthralled for two hours. Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Judy Collins, Joan Biaz, Pete Seeger, Dan Rush, Ledbelly, wonderfully produced the signature songs that so infused the 60s. The idealism, the energy, the alternate life styles, the activism, what a time of music, collaboration, and enthusiasm that was. This is the kind of light and energy that Bernie Sanders brings, I think. And, it is needed, so needed.
Hillary and Bill have used the system in their success politically, economically, socially, and I don't fault them for that. A politician has to be able to manipulate the system that is, but we don't need that now; in fact, it represents much that we find corrupt, ineffective, destructive. We do need a Bernie revolution, though I wonder, it it possible? I think of Eugene McCarthy, Robert Kennedy, George McGovern, Al Gore, Howard Dean, all in their own way idealists, representing a departure from the old, the decaying, the mistaken, the corrupt, and yet, and yet, we weren't able to get the powers of the Democratic Party and the people behind them.
Well, have a good day. Off to a poetry reading at the Loveland Museum.
Bloody cold and damp here also, Puddle. No snow just damp and chilly.
Turned my heat back on this morning.
? From the two in GSO.....if we can safely bank on-line...and we do.
Why can't we vote on line? Has any group explored this as an option?
Love to all....stay well.
And here's a poem in draft for today's reading. Not sure about this.
Wolves and Children
“In the wild a wolf is considered to be an adult
Around 2.5 to 3.5 years of age. At this age the young
Adult wolves are typically observed, “leaving home,”
Striking out to find their own territory and mate.”
From W.O.L.F., summer 2014, p. 17 “Sasha and Pax Break Up”
Let’s see, 18 divided by 3
Equals 6, 6 years for each one
Of yours when you announced
You were leaving to live on your own.
OK, that’s right, we understood.
We’d done the same ourselves.
What we didn’t think about
Is that you’d never come back.
And we hadn’t either except
For visits, infrequent and short
And so it seems the world and we
Are destined to move away and out.
And those years we were together
Growing years affectionate and fraught
Our vortex like spirals, always
Always moving in opposition.
Even wolves are individuals,
Having the need and impetus to leave
To move away, to be on their own
Nature seems to have decreed.
Like the stars that now
Are speeding farther apart
Until someday there’s only dark
No stars, no children, no life.
Do you suppose the herding tribes
Knew what we have only begun
To see, opposing spirals everywhere
On fabric, yurts, carved into rock
That life is always circling out
However close we try to hold,
and keep, to make now a forever.
What we’re learning from the wolves.
lovely conflux of image, Pat.
Got only about an inch of snow--appropriate somehow for the first day of spring.
My concern about online voting is that someone could pose as someone else to vote more than once. It's all too easy when you can't be seen. I imagine that when "they" finally have all of us using devices that respond to a fingerprint, then they'll be able to do large-scale online voting. https://www.verifiedvoting.org/resources/internet-voting/vote-online/
What a beautiful juxtaposition of images, Pat!
I especially appreciate the idear of the wildness of spirit
in both child and wolf.
Of course, all that spirals outward also spirals inward.
Nothing is static; nothing is ever lost, only allowed to progress.
All that exists will ever be remembered in Holy Memory, for all eternity.
The infinite is naturally both infinitely great and infinitely little.
As we move on into Holy Week.
Peace be with you.
Thank you, Listener, for your comments, your ideas, and your participation. I will think about your offering, and maybe another poem will come forth. I'm aware of the Akashic (spell?) records wherein everything about the universe is recorded, lasts forever in universal memory. As a former Catholic, I have ingrained skepticism and am slow to accept new beliefs, but I'm grateful for them. I would love to understand more, and I'll keep trying.
Thank you again for your generous sharing.
And this from Wikipedia: The akashic record is like an immense photographic film, registering all the desires and earth experiences of our planet. Those who perceive it will see pictured thereon: The life experiences of every human being since time began, the reactions to experience of the entire animal kingdom, the aggregation of the thought-forms of a karmic nature (based on desire) of every human unit throughout time. Herein lies the great deception of the records. Only a trained occultist can distinguish between actual experience and those astral pictures created by imagination and keen desire.
AWWWW folks. Went to the Bernie rally. at work now, but will post links to some pictures. Used my lighted Bernie sign and in every panorama picture they took, my sign stood out. couldn't read it, but it stood out!
Browser kept crashing yesterday, so multiple system restores later, somehow ended up on double day time savings. Twas lovely--fully light at 8 pm, lol! Didn't pick up on it till I went to bed, and the bedside clock was an hour earlier. . . .
Other night on over-night radio was a fella who called in convinced, among other things, that his sciatica was injected by aliens. . . . Doesn't escape notice that these people vote.
Hi again,
I have to laugh. I'm curious, curious about ESP, those huge designs in the Peruvian desert, crop circles, all the weird and wacky hypotheses that are out there. I'd love to have ESP, but I do think that those we care about, with whom we in are in contact, intuition often operates in surprising ways. Sometimes I think of someone I haven't seen in years, and lo and behold, I hear from that person. Weird.
In the National Parks Conservation magazine is a photo of the Lassen desert in California near Riverside and Sacramento. The sky is the darkest sky in the continental US as to having the least amount of artificial light, and oh, the stars, stars so multitudinous they can't be counted. How vast this universe is, and I know almost nothing. A smile for you, my friends.
Nazca Lines from Wikipedia: The Nazca Lines /ˈnæzkə/ are a series of ancient geoglyphs located in the Nazca Desert[citation needed] in southern Peru. They were designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994. The high, arid plateau stretches more than 80 km (50 mi) between the towns of Nazca and Palpa on the Pampas de Jumana about 400 km south of Lima. Although some local geoglyphs resemble Paracas motifs, scholars believe the Nazca Lines were created by the Nazca culture between 500 B.C.E. and 500 C.E..[1] The hundreds of individual figures range in complexity from simple lines to stylized hummingbirds, spiders, monkeys, fish, sharks, orcas, and lizards.
Ah, Pat, that is so interesting!!
I was actually referring mainly to the wisdom of Rilke, who asserted that God is our heir, who receives all we are and do and will give it back to us through all eternity. I was musing over that recently, and shared it with my (now former) spiritual guide who has been given the diagnosis of Alzheimer's. He wrote back that it was a true encouragement for the days ahead. See what you think. It's as if Rilke tapped into the akashic concept lang syne.
YOU INHERIT THE GREEN
Rainer Maria Rilke
Translated by Joanna Macy and Anita Barrows
And you inherit the green
of varnished gardens
and the motionless blue of fallen skies,
dew of a thousand dawns, countless summers
the sun sang, and springtimes to break your heart
like a young woman’s letters.
You inherit the autumns, folded like festive clothing
in the memories of poets; and all the winters,
like abandoned fields, bequeath you their quietness.
You inherit Venice, Kazan, and Rome;
Florence will be yours, and Pisa’s cathedral,
Moscow with bells like memories,
and the Troiska convent, and that monastery
whose maze of tunnels lies swallowed under Kiev’s gardens.
Sound will be yours, of string and brass and reed,
and sometimes the songs will seem to come from inside of you.
For your sake poets sequester themselves,
gather images to church the mind,
journey forth, ripening with metaphor,
and all their lives they are so alone...
And painters paint their pictures only
that the world, so transient as you have made it,
can be given back to you,
to last forever.
All becomes eternal. See: In the Mona Lisa
some woman has long since ripened like wine,
and the enduring feminine is held there
through all the ages.
Those who create are like you.
They long for the eternal.
They say, Stone, be forever!
And that means: be yours.
And lovers also gather your inheritance.
They are the poets of one brief hour.
They kiss an expressionless mouth into a smile
as if creating it anew, more beautiful.
Awakening desire, they make a place
where pain can enter;
that’s how growing happens.
They bring suffering along with their laughter,
and longings that had slept and now awaken
to weep in a strangers arms.
They let the riddles pile up and then they die
the way animals die, without making sense of it.
But maybe in those who come after,
their green life will ripen;
it’s then that you will inherit the love
to which they gave themselves so blindly, as in a sleep.
Thus the overflow from things
pours into you.
Just as a fountain’s higher basins
spill down like strands of loosened hair
into the lowest vessel,
so streams the fullness into you,
when things and thoughts cannot contain it.
Barb, what a fabulous rally! Bernie's speech in Seattle is the BEST I've noted from him. He is getting better and better at this!! He was on message, relatively succinct, clear, and we'll phrased, yet you could tell he wasn't just giving a speech but was speaking from the heart. I loved the part about not judging by what the media says but by what our hearts and minds tell us. He is so deeply honest that he hasn't feign false faith, yet from the perspective of someone who has a theology background, he is the most faithful of the lot of them. His heart and message have to be resonating with all people of real faith. As the theologian Karl Rahner said, there are some in whom Christ is implicit if not explicit. ;-)
we'll = well
Foolish Apple nearly always transposes well to we'll…and it's really annoying!
Ah, thank you so much for the Rilke. Do love him.
Good Morning,
Bright spring sun this morning. Off to Estes Park for a new watch battery. For two days, I've been timeless.
Thank you, Listener. I love Rilke. I'm thinking of his "Archaic Torso of Apollo" wherein he says, "You must change your life." I think of that often, and the poem you posted is so musical, so beautiful, that knowing so much is lost, it's persuasive that nothing ever is and comes back to us.
It's the musical poets I love best: Yeats, Dylan Thomas, Rilke, e.e. cummings, Leonard Cohen, Gary Snyder, etc. I also love Robert Frost, much of his poetry raw, conversational, but embodying metaphors that stay in the mind.
Well, have a nice day today. Tomorrow we are supposed to get snow. Oh well.
If you really want to know where I have been... Google Explosion in Grennsboro.....aroundthecorner
from the Lofts whereIlive...so everybody was evacuated.....bigsecurityman carried me down the stairs,
waited outside with other folks, finally called Brenda and had a good night's sleep and good care
with her. Came home yesterday. Still weary. Love to all.
Jeepers, Shirlee, that was WAY more exciting than anyone needs! I'd be totally pooped out, too.
Yep! Still weary today.....bout recovering ;). I feel so sorry for the owner of the lovely
old Biltmore hotel. Brenda says he had just updated rooms and the facade. I truly
hope Duke Energy gets the bill for this!
Ohhhh myyyyy, Shirlee!! I just saw the video online of the explosion and was amazed as a car had just passed that spot when it happened. I'm so glad no one was injured, though it sounds like it was a huge inconvenience for a lot of people, and especially for the hotel. Hurrah for Brenda and for things getting resolved. Take it easy for a day or two. ♥
Glad you are all right, Shirlee, and glad no one was hurt. But, it takes a lot out of us when something like that happens. It also takes some time for normalcy to return.
New thread!
Post a Comment