"A man walks down the street He says why am I soft in the middle now Why am I soft in the middle The rest of my life is so hard I need a photo-opportunity I want a shot at redemption Don't want to end up a cartoon In a cartoon graveyard…"
Lovely thread for a blue sky day! Thanks, Puddle. Back to 216 after an evening helping the bookstore celebrate their first anniversary. Good time was had by all.
What do we hear from Jo? Love to all Deaniac Bloggers!
My comment should have been on the last thread, about teenagers and smoking. I remember with fondness telling my favorite teacher, a nun, that I was an atheist, and her reply was that she didn't believe all the things the church told her to believe, for instance, the ascension of Mary into heaven. Then she added, stand by what you believe. Now is there any doubt why we teenagers loved the wise and tolerant teacher?!
But I am more and more aware of the powerful impact our cultures have on us. I think maybe that's why many people of our generation now that they are "olding" become such ideologues wherein no real discussion takes place since opinions are hardened and not able to be questioned.
Another thing, Feb. 9 Time has an article about the new 3-D devices for virtual reality coming from Microsoft, Samsung, Oculus Rift, and Sony. Talk about the Star Trek Holodeck! What an amazing change in technology. Instead of reading and translating, there will be the experience itself. For instance, in education, students can wander the moon or Vermeer's studio, a rain forest, or the Civil War, according to Mark Zuckerberg.This technology will come in lenses and headsets.
We are indeed in a time of technological revolution.
No blue sky here today, and I haven't heard from Jo. If I can find her phone number I'll give her a call. We quit our landline, and I had the number there.
Instead of 8-12" of snow we have been having freezing drizzle here today,,, a strange sort of textured drizzle, too. It stuck like glue to the windshield, such that we had to have the defroster on full blast at 76F to get at least 1/3 of the windshield to be clear enough to drive! As it was only 6F out at the time ( ! ), there must have been an inversion layer of warmer air a little above the surface.
I apologize if I was "off putting" in my remarks yesterday. I'm not an atheist; that was my teenage rebellion. I'm probably a doubting believer, a believing doubter, a hopeful skeptic, a skeptical hoper. In any case, there is more than the material, and I know very little.
And as for our technological revolution, I love books in my hand, keeping them visible in my library, and reading.I'm glad the bookstore is successful, Shirlee.
Today, we'll go walking around Lake Estes. The day is supposed to be beautiful. Thoughts and sympathies for those in winter's thrall right now.
hi all - all is okay here, just getting prepared for my next surgery.
PLEASE if you are on facebook, check out my friend's pages, he has a small farm of loving animals and his photos and videos and stories are epic and make the dark days of winter much brighter for many.
they ar3e Barb! he has a new border collie puppy that bonded in one day with a new little bottle lamb, they are so cute together. when a lamb is rejected by it's mom or not doing so well he brings them up to the house and cares for them, bottle feeding every couple of hours and tending to their needs. they wear disposable diapers while in the house and the dogs and people give them lots of attention and love. it is a heartwarming adventure, he is writing a and illustrating children's book about the farm animals and some of his 'friends' have shared the photos and videos with classes of young people who are writing about the adventures - it's special in a way that I can't really describe.
one of the bottle lambs from last year injured her leg so he kept her in the greenhouse while tending her for a few weeks and now she is the star of the show. Sweet Pea had a 'sheepover' where he brought her other bottle lamb buds from last spring up to visit her, the story that unfurled about it was epic!
... Sweet Pea & Friends From Farmer John~ I love this... Sweet Pea shared with a Kindergarten Class as a story writing prompt. Just look at the pictures of the SheepOver, this one even has the disco ball! Sweet Pea will be Skyping with this California kindergarten class as the children's book is being created. Thank you Tracy Harrington East
Pat I was raised Catholic too and certainly did rebel! I left the church in my sophomore year in high school, I couldn't stand the hypocrisy and felt if I was going to have a relationship with God it should be on my own unless and until I found a better group to join.
Great story about the animals and the farmer, Jo Thanks. So many of us grew up on farms or in the country and drifted toward the city --or it moved towards us -- it is good to be reminded of the connection between all creatures. Thank you.
Pat, I thought I must have missed a comment of yours since you wondered if yours had been found off-putting, and I could recall no such post of yours. I reread your post from yesterday and it's still as fine to me as it was then. I really like/d the cut of your wise and tolerant teacher's jib. :-)
I am so eager for tomorrow. I hope hope hope I can leave work a little early (if our volunteer who subs comes in to volunteer!), so that I can attend the Snowflake Bentley Symposium in full instead of having to go half what through, if I have to work the whole shift. We'll see!
One great thing is that my daughter plans to send me flowers at work for the last day. Awww. I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to know, but Bill thought it wise to make sure I wouldn't mind. So thoughtful of her, and I won't be home to receive them anyway, so it makes sense!
One of the houses my Son and DIL will be looking at is up by your supermarket, off Prim Road a bit. Do you happen to know if that's a nice area, as neighborhoods go?
So, Jo, with your surgery on Monday, do you stay in for a day or two or home same day? If you need ANYTHING I could be available any afternoon Tuesday through Friday of that week. Please don't hesitate to call. I will PM my number to you on FB Messaging. XOXOXXX
thank you listener. my niece will bring me and I will be out in a couple of hours if it goes like the last one. with the cold I'll be staying in for a few days other than follow-up appointments. I go for that the day after surgery and then on Friday as well and then again a week after that. he keeps a close eye on any swelling or other problems.
that part of Colchester is very quiet, I never hear of any problems there. I hope they find something they like!
Listener, how kind you are. Thank you. I never know if what I say might be offensive, so I try to be careful.
Jo, you are younger than I am, and I am happy that you had more courage and conviction that I did. I always tried to please people, and yes, the hypocrisy (and that may be true of any established religion) was there, but worst of all was being told what to believe when I didn't.
If Christ was about love and compassion, I saw righteousness and punishment, when seemed to me the opposite of Christ's message.
I do think teenagers rebel naturally and need to. I've been ruminating, and I guess I did my share. It's hard to be parents of teenagers, takes a lot of tolerance, fortitude, and trust.
Windy today, maybe some rain. Weird. Hope your day is good.
Seems to be holding. Mail is *still* downloading. Went out about one ayem Sunday morning. Was out for six hours, came up long enough for me to call the outage in, then gone again until about an hour ago. Promised yesterday ayem. Not. Nancy dropped off groceries at one, and promised to call it in. About an hour later, it rang, and I called her. We were disconnected repeatedly. Finally stayed up long enough for her to tell me that Frontier was claiming unpaid bill. Which isn't true--they disconnect at 5 for unpaid bills. (Used to be they did it then so you'd have to be without a line for at least 12 hours, "to show you"!!! )
Laughing really--just realized that I've entered that age group where your neighbors have your children's phone numbers. . . . and in this case, email addies.
Pat, I was talking not about teens' smoking rebellion, but virtually the whole of the non-Mormon population. A cigarette in hand was pure proof that it was safe to trash the dominate culture, lol! I get the sense, still, that it's likely that in Utah, a much higher percent of the ono-Mormon population smokes than in the rest of the country. Don't know if anyone has done a study though.
Interesting. I realized after I responded that you said it was the non Mormon population. It sounds like there was some real cultural hostility there.
In Samoa, there was a significant Mormon population. My perception was that there was respect for Mormons. Several very good friends were Mormon.
Culture is powerful for us humans. In my hometown, Catholics dominated, and it was only after I left that I realized there were real cultural divisions.
I think because so MUCH is controlled by them, while kind of ignoring the wishes of the rest of the citizens.
One of my favorite teachers in college moved to SLC, and bought into a solidly Mormon neighborhood, and found his kids had no one to play with. Not so much that they were discriminated against, as ignored. The church keeps its members' lives *very* busy, and they don't much associate with non-members. They sold the house and moved to the Avenues, a much more mixed neighborhood, lol!
One of my sisters in law was from Pittsburgh, and she had a very difficult time adapting to SLC Mormons, vs Mormons in "the field."
E.g. -- beer was 3.2%; other alcohol available only in state liquor stores, which closed at five o'clock. . . . Most houses were built without dining rooms--most entertainment is done at church, in the rec hall, so no one invites anyone to dinner, so much as "I'll see you at the ward banquet. . . . So if you're not part of the tribe, you're SOL.
I'M HOME! :-) I'M RETIRED!! :-D And I got to leave the Library an hour and a half early and attend the entire Snowflake Bentley Symposium!!! It was wonderfully done!
I learned more about how snowflakes form, and learned that Wilson "Willy" "Snowflake" Bentley was appreciated by the weather folks in Boston. They sent him the weather map every day, so he could consider it alongside his data from the same day. He sent them his information and so much of what he was researching and discovering became part of early forecasting. Very cool.
Yea for you, Listener. Congratulations! I think of what we say when we sometimes find ourselves freed from something onerous. We say "Thank God, free, free at last" quoting Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. And, when we pass schools during the daytime, we say, Aren't you glad we're not there.
I loved teaching, the kids, my lifelong friends, but I'm done with that.
Hurrah! Vermont Gas Systems has decided not to pursue laying a gas pipeline underneath Lake Champlain and over to New York state. Are you listening, Keystone?
Thanks to you all for all the sweet words on my retirement! I am really looking forward to getting into some sort of rhythm that is home based and gentle. Today wasn't exactly that, as I spent 4 hours battling with my computer and two printers to get a few Valentines made for the grands and the kids! Egads! Next year I'm going to make them with paint and scissors! LOL! But there I was at the post office ten minutes before closing, and I wasn't at the Library working, like I would have been had I not retired. Had it not been for retirement, the Valentines would have been late! :-D
Line is horrible. I get a minute online from start to finish. Usually not time to even load a page without several tries. Can't move the phone company off their dime--still the 16th. . . .
Enjoying full Downton.
Cold as a welldigger's watch. And for the next stretch. Ack.
It's supposed to be about 65 degrees today. While I dislike winter, we will pay for this kind of warming come spring, summer, and fall. I hope we're not in for another drought. Colorado and its volatile weather: 2013 floods, and possibly in 2015, drought.
Barb, I'm sorry to hear you are not sleeping well. I've found that I don't sleep as well anymore, and for me, that's aging, I think. I drink an herbal tea called Sleepy Time, and that may help. I've gong to bed say, at 8 PM and than lain awake for two or three hours. I've also read that a snack before bed can help with sleep. I think seeing a doctor is worth it, since without enough sleep the next day is a drag.
Going down to Loveland and Daz Bog for a poetry session. I've been discouraged lately, maybe needed a break. But, this is my offering for today. Please offer suggestions for improvement if you are so inclined.
Pushed Up from Deepest Ocean We sit in front of the radio Listening to the Hawaiian Hour While outside the sky lours Cantankerous in a gray wool Dufflecoat. The wind nips At the heels of the house. The windows shiver. Only Three more months of ice And winter, then maybe spring While the lucky ones surf The ocean, palm trees humming Along with the ukuleles, waving Grass skirts, hands like flowers, Drums, dancers’ pivoting feet.
Pushed up from deepest ocean Maui, the one who lassoed The sun to protect the earth From burning, who knew That humans needed Paradise. Those blessed, happy ones we Know for a while on the radio Freezing us through story, music, And dance, imagining Paradise In our darkened living room.
Beautiful Pat. Yay for phone line, Puddle. Hope it holds. We much prefer seeing you here on a daily basis.
Dr sez I need to be patient for the full 3 months that I'm healing. I'm sleeping ok, just don't seem to be rested. Burt and I are pushing our getting to bed up earlier by a half hour if I'm not rested enough during the day. Best part of it is he gets up at 8 am instead of 9 am and gets much more done during the day. Especially since he doesn't seem to need a nap any more.
He actually gets down in the basement and sorts through stuff and can get rid of a LOT of paper, old technology books that are no longer relevant, and old equipment. WHOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!! Pretty soon, we'll be able to walk through the basement/garage without having to thread our way through "stuff".
He works on his writing until one of his friends with a penchant for chatting calls, then he puts on his head set and heads for the basement.
Well, I'm heading for a new chapter in my public service arena, I'm going to become the Treasurer for the King County Dems. A position I held for the WA state Progressive Caucus for about 4 years. This will be a much bigger job as the WSPC was a very small caucus and the KCDCC consists of 5 LD's within King County. This one will be a mental challenge as it has not really been properly taken care of for many years. Looking forward to this.
I'm still on the Board of the 46th LD as an AtLarge. No longer going to be doing the refreshments. Unfortunately, no one ran for the position of doing it. I've asked for volunteers at the meetings twice and put an article in the Demogram twice. I'm going to go ahead and do this one last time and get up and make a pretty strong statement that if no one else feels it necessary to have refreshments then they are not going to have any. The stress of doing it is more than I want to bear for a while at least. I wind up in fib when I do it and I can't afford to be doing that.
Good to see you all, my friends. have a wonderful Valentines day. We're taking Kristy and Brenden out for Kristy's birthday tonight. it was actually last Sunday, but she decided she'd rather go out for dinner on a Saturday instead of Sunday.
Pat, here in the throes of the cold, I definitely appreciated your poem. Had to look up the word "lours" as I'd never seen that word for "lowers" (as in a lowering sky). Thank-you!
Barb, I bought a special lightbulb for Bill for Valentine's Day. It was developed by NASA. If you use it for about a half hour before bedtime, it lowers melatonin levels so that you fall asleep more easily and sleep better. He has used it just one night so far, but slept well. http://www.hammacher.com/Product/86494?promo=search
Hearty Congratulations are in order for all Boston kids! It's official, Boston has broken snow records older than 150 years. Now they never have to listen to their parents or even grandparents tell them that it was tougher when they were kids. Rockin' that Record! Yeah!
What a dreary day, and because no poem is ever finished, with your indulgence, here's a revision.
Pulled Up from Deepest Ocean We sit in front of the radio Listening to the Hawaiian Hour While outside the sky lours Cantankerous in a gray wool Dufflecoat. The wind nips At the heels of the house, The windows shivering. Only Three more months of dark And winter, then maybe spring While the lucky ones surf the ocean palm trees humming, waves drumming along with the ukuleles, undulating torsos, hands like flowers, dancers’ pivoting feet.
Pulled up from deepest ocean Maui, the one who lassoed The sun to slow it down To save the earth from burning Used his magic hook to pull Up a continent that broke up Into islands. He knew That humans needed Paradise.
Those blessed, happy islanders We know for a while on the radio Freeing us through story, music, And dance, singing Paradise Into our darkened living room.
hi all!! yes it is a deepfreeze here. cancelled surgery for tomorrow because I woke up coughing and stuffed up and feeling crappy. my brother just stopped by with a few bags of groceries and lots of hugs. <3
listener wouldn't that be that the light bulb increases melatonin? taking melatonin helps you sleep, it's what is in warm milk and turkey that makes you drousy. let me know how it works, I could use some help but don't want to take the supplement.
nice poem Pat, you are so creative with your thoughts and words!
sending blessings to all, especially phone line mercies to puddle, LOL! hope they are fixed real soon. xoxoxo
Hot tea, rest, something to soothe your throat, thoughts your way. Winter and colds seem to go together, and it makes sense to postpone surgery until you feel better.
Yes, today is dreary, cold, and guess that's what makes spring, summer, and fall so spectacular.
Ya, pretty cold here, too. Was under 0 and a windchill of -20º when I went to bed at three. Left both heaters up at full on, and was 61º this ayem. Oven's on--up to 71º now, whew!
Kiddle emailed this ayem--single digits and no elec.
Aw, Jo, I'm so sorry you've had to postpone the surgery, yet applaud you for doing so. Here's hoping you have better weather when the day comes! I'm still available if you need something. ♥
You are correct about the melatonin, Jo. I read the advertisement wrong. It never uses the word "suppresses" rather than the word "increases," but it's blue light that it suppresses, not melatonin.
"Used by NASA to help astronauts sleep in space, this is the light bulb that encourages production of melatonin—the hormone that promotes sleep. Unlike typical light bulbs that emit high levels of short wavelength “blue” light that suppresses melatonin, the NASA light bulb’s patented filter reduces blue light by 50% to facilitate a better night’s sleep. Ideal for use in a nightstand lamp for 30 minutes before you fall asleep, the light bulb helps maintain your body’s natural circadian rhythm so you fall asleep faster and wake up more refreshed. The 12-watt LED produces the same light as a 60-watt incandescent for optimal illumination while reading yet lasts up to 16X longer."
Shirlee, please let us know how you and Brenda fare. I noted in the news tonight that you could get a quarter to half inch of ICE! We have a saying up here, "With ice, all bets are off." That much ice can break trees, cause power outages and other sorts of damage. I hope you can all just stay home and stay snug. ♥
Thanks for asking, Listener. Right now it is 24 degrees with snow predicted for today. I don't function well under fifty degrees --RA plus lifelong wimp with coldweather! So, I don't go out except for doc appts. Not even to the book store. Brenda has a lovely, snug house and doesn't like the cold, but must get out to wiork--and do errands.
I was in New England one summer doing some research and It was too cold for me then. I was in my mid 40's and healthy
Ah, the scourge of cold weather. Boooo! Hope it goes a way soon for my Eastern friends. and Pat too, although she's just a bit east of me. Mid 40s to mid 50s here. I don't do well in the cold either.
Listener, am looking into that light bulb. My two daughters could use it as well. I sleep pretty well when I get myself to bed. Its the getting to bed that's the problem. Seems there is always something else that needs to be done. And after a meeting where I've been going full tilt and need to unwind keeps me up later than I want.
Good to "see" you Jo. Hope the cold doesn't hang on too long. Shirley, stay snug.
Pat, your poetry is always lovely.
I don't have to work today but Burt does so I will use my free time to get some stuff done. Right now, Sandy is bugging me to play laser tag with her. a fun way to wear her out. Shadow has absolutely NO interest.
About six inches of snow here, and more tonight and tomorrow. The temperature about 28 degrees. The sky clears, then clouds, and snow falls, then the pattern continues.
Puddle, I agree, how blessed we are in Obama. For me, the best president in my lifetime. Can you imagine John McCain and Sarah Palin? Huckabee, Santorum, Rand Paul, Rick Perry...?
I can't think of any democrats who stand out other than Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. That says something too.
There seems to be increasing awareness that our democracy is badly broken. I read it in Harpers and other magazines.
Agree about President Obama.. He gets extra points. Because heras a very happy, loving family life.
Thanks for the new thread, Puddle. We have a bright blue sky, 20 degree temps with an inch or soof snow with ice on top. All schools closed, medical offices etc. Opened late. Brenda is home. I thinkt they shut things down because of the cold as much as iceand snow. Cold looks to last most of the week. Stay warm and well, Ladies of The Blog!
72 comments:
Yes, beautiful, intriguing!
Thanks, Puddle.
I think that teenagers rebel and need to. As a Catholic I did. It was a very authoritarian time, the 40s through the 60s.
"A man walks down the street
He says why am I soft in the middle now
Why am I soft in the middle
The rest of my life is so hard
I need a photo-opportunity
I want a shot at redemption
Don't want to end up a cartoon
In a cartoon graveyard…"
~ Paul Simon, "You Can Call Me Al"
I hope I always stay soft in the middle. :-)
Lovely thread for a blue sky day! Thanks, Puddle.
Back to 216 after an evening helping the bookstore
celebrate their first anniversary. Good time was had by all.
What do we hear from Jo? Love to all Deaniac Bloggers!
Good Morning,
Sunny, warm, windy.
My comment should have been on the last thread, about teenagers and smoking. I remember with fondness telling my favorite teacher, a nun, that I was an atheist, and her reply was that she didn't believe all the things the church told her to believe, for instance, the ascension of Mary into heaven. Then she added, stand by what you believe. Now is there any doubt why we teenagers loved the wise and tolerant teacher?!
But I am more and more aware of the powerful impact our cultures have on us. I think maybe that's why many people of our generation now that they are "olding" become such ideologues wherein no real discussion takes place since opinions are hardened and not able to be questioned.
Another thing, Feb. 9 Time has an article about the new 3-D devices for virtual reality coming from Microsoft, Samsung, Oculus Rift, and Sony. Talk about the Star Trek Holodeck! What an amazing change in technology. Instead of reading and translating, there will be the experience itself. For instance, in education, students can wander the moon or Vermeer's studio, a rain forest, or the Civil War, according to Mark Zuckerberg.This technology will come in lenses and headsets.
We are indeed in a time of technological revolution.
Have a really nice day.
correction: should be "this" instead of the wise and tolerant teacher.
Also, I think the correct designation is "Assumption" of Mary into heaven, since she didn't do it herself. Oh well.
No blue sky here today, and I haven't heard from Jo. If I can find her phone number I'll give her a call. We quit our landline, and I had the number there.
Instead of 8-12" of snow we have been having freezing drizzle here today,,, a strange sort of textured drizzle, too. It stuck like glue to the windshield, such that we had to have the defroster on full blast at 76F to get at least 1/3 of the windshield to be clear enough to drive! As it was only 6F out at the time ( ! ), there must have been an inversion layer of warmer air a little above the surface.
Good Morning,
I apologize if I was "off putting" in my remarks yesterday. I'm not an atheist; that was my teenage rebellion. I'm probably a doubting believer, a believing doubter, a hopeful skeptic, a skeptical hoper. In any case, there is more than the material, and I know very little.
And as for our technological revolution, I love books in my hand, keeping them visible in my library, and reading.I'm glad the bookstore is successful, Shirlee.
Today, we'll go walking around Lake Estes. The day is supposed to be beautiful. Thoughts and sympathies for those in winter's thrall right now.
hi all - all is okay here, just getting prepared for my next surgery.
PLEASE if you are on facebook, check out my friend's pages, he has a small farm of loving animals and his photos and videos and stories are epic and make the dark days of winter much brighter for many.
https://www.facebook.com/jcchurchman?fref=ts
Adorableness! Love the animal themes
they ar3e Barb! he has a new border collie puppy that bonded in one day with a new little bottle lamb, they are so cute together. when a lamb is rejected by it's mom or not doing so well he brings them up to the house and cares for them, bottle feeding every couple of hours and tending to their needs. they wear disposable diapers while in the house and the dogs and people give them lots of attention and love. it is a heartwarming adventure, he is writing a and illustrating children's book about the farm animals and some of his 'friends' have shared the photos and videos with classes of young people who are writing about the adventures - it's special in a way that I can't really describe.
one of the bottle lambs from last year injured her leg so he kept her in the greenhouse while tending her for a few weeks and now she is the star of the show. Sweet Pea had a 'sheepover' where he brought her other bottle lamb buds from last spring up to visit her, the story that unfurled about it was epic!
here's the link to Sweet Pea's facebook page, LOL!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Pea-Friends/1604611683095783?ref=br_tf
oh yes, Sweet Pea and Farmer John will be skyping with a kindergarten class in California too! she is quite a star!!
... Sweet Pea & Friends From Farmer John~ I love this... Sweet Pea shared with a Kindergarten Class as a story writing prompt. Just look at the pictures of the SheepOver, this one even has the disco ball! Sweet Pea will be Skyping with this California kindergarten class as the children's book is being created. Thank you Tracy Harrington East
Pat I was raised Catholic too and certainly did rebel! I left the church in my sophomore year in high school, I couldn't stand the hypocrisy and felt if I was going to have a relationship with God it should be on my own unless and until I found a better group to join.
Great story about the animals and the farmer, Jo
Thanks. So many of us grew up on farms or in the country and drifted toward the city --or it moved towards us -- it is good to be reminded of the connection between
all creatures. Thank you.
Hi Jo,
It's good to hear from you, and the animals are delightful.
We'll be thinking of you for your next surgery.
Again, a day you'd think was late April here. Of course there's no global climate change! Right!
A smile for you.
Pat, I thought I must have missed a comment of yours since you wondered if yours had been found off-putting, and I could recall no such post of yours. I reread your post from yesterday and it's still as fine to me as it was then. I really like/d the cut of your wise and tolerant teacher's jib. :-)
I am so eager for tomorrow. I hope hope hope I can leave work a little early (if our volunteer who subs comes in to volunteer!), so that I can attend the Snowflake Bentley Symposium in full instead of having to go half what through, if I have to work the whole shift. We'll see!
One great thing is that my daughter plans to send me flowers at work for the last day. Awww. I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to know, but Bill thought it wise to make sure I wouldn't mind. So thoughtful of her, and I won't be home to receive them anyway, so it makes sense!
* half what through = half way through
Jo!! I love those sheep!!
One of the houses my Son and DIL will be looking at is up by your supermarket, off Prim Road a bit. Do you happen to know if that's a nice area, as neighborhoods go?
So, Jo, with your surgery on Monday, do you stay in for a day or two or home same day? If you need ANYTHING I could be available any afternoon Tuesday through Friday of that week. Please don't hesitate to call. I will PM my number to you on FB Messaging.
XOXOXXX
thank you! the animals are making winter fly right by. I can't wait for spring though, it's COLD here!!
thank you listener. my niece will bring me and I will be out in a couple of hours if it goes like the last one. with the cold I'll be staying in for a few days other than follow-up appointments. I go for that the day after surgery and then on Friday as well and then again a week after that. he keeps a close eye on any swelling or other problems.
that part of Colchester is very quiet, I never hear of any problems there. I hope they find something they like!
Morning friends,
Listener, how kind you are. Thank you. I never know if what I say might be offensive, so I try to be careful.
Jo, you are younger than I am, and I am happy that you had more courage and conviction that I did. I always tried to please people, and yes, the hypocrisy (and that may be true of any established religion) was there, but worst of all was being told what to believe when I didn't.
If Christ was about love and compassion, I saw righteousness and punishment, when seemed to me the opposite of Christ's message.
I do think teenagers rebel naturally and need to. I've been ruminating, and I guess I did my share. It's hard to be parents of teenagers, takes a lot of tolerance, fortitude, and trust.
Windy today, maybe some rain. Weird. Hope your day is good.
Anyone heard from Puddle? Got up late this morning and have to get my act together and get to work.
XOXOXOXOXO
She has not been on since starting this thread. Hmm,not like her--think she is just enjoying her waffles?
Hope so. Is it time to check in with Chuck? Seems she was having some internet issues on the last thread... Hope that is all it is.
Phone problems. Don't know how long this line will hold. Pray.
Thanks for letting us know, Puddle.
Seems to be holding. Mail is *still* downloading. Went out about one ayem Sunday morning. Was out for six hours, came up long enough for me to call the outage in, then gone again until about an hour ago. Promised yesterday ayem. Not. Nancy dropped off groceries at one, and promised to call it in. About an hour later, it rang, and I called her. We were disconnected repeatedly. Finally stayed up long enough for her to tell me that Frontier was claiming unpaid bill. Which isn't true--they disconnect at 5 for unpaid bills. (Used to be they did it then so you'd have to be without a line for at least 12 hours, "to show you"!!! )
Mercury Retrograde ends tomorrow. . . .
Laughing really--just realized that I've entered that age group where your neighbors have your children's phone numbers. . . . and in this case, email addies.
Pat, I was talking not about teens' smoking rebellion, but virtually the whole of the non-Mormon population. A cigarette in hand was pure proof that it was safe to trash the dominate culture, lol! I get the sense, still, that it's likely that in Utah, a much higher percent of the ono-Mormon population smokes than in the rest of the country. Don't know if anyone has done a study though.
lol! dyslectic fingers. . . . ono=non
Good to have you back, Puddle!! Maybe we should all come to W.VA and re-rig those phone lines properly.
Aging Lady Power!!!
Hi Puddle,
Interesting. I realized after I responded that you said it was the non Mormon population. It sounds like there was some real cultural hostility there.
In Samoa, there was a significant Mormon population. My perception was that there was respect for Mormons. Several very good friends were Mormon.
Culture is powerful for us humans. In my hometown, Catholics dominated, and it was only after I left that I realized there were real cultural divisions.
Latest word, it will be fixed on the 16th. . . .
I think because so MUCH is controlled by them, while kind of ignoring the wishes of the rest of the citizens.
One of my favorite teachers in college moved to SLC, and bought into a solidly Mormon neighborhood, and found his kids had no one to play with. Not so much that they were discriminated against, as ignored. The church keeps its members' lives *very* busy, and they don't much associate with non-members. They sold the house and moved to the Avenues, a much more mixed neighborhood, lol!
One of my sisters in law was from Pittsburgh, and she had a very difficult time adapting to SLC Mormons, vs Mormons in "the field."
E.g. -- beer was 3.2%; other alcohol available only in state liquor stores, which closed at five o'clock. . . . Most houses were built without dining rooms--most entertainment is done at church, in the rec hall, so no one invites anyone to dinner, so much as "I'll see you at the ward banquet. . . . So if you're not part of the tribe, you're SOL.
I'M HOME! :-) I'M RETIRED!! :-D And I got to leave the Library an hour and a half early and attend the entire Snowflake Bentley Symposium!!! It was wonderfully done!
I learned more about how snowflakes form, and learned that Wilson "Willy" "Snowflake" Bentley was appreciated by the weather folks in Boston. They sent him the weather map every day, so he could consider it alongside his data from the same day. He sent them his information and so much of what he was researching and discovering became part of early forecasting. Very cool.
{{{ ♥ puddle ♥ }}}
SO glad you're okay. Though I would have been happy to contact Sheriff Puff (Sheriff Chuck being retired these days). I have the number in my iPhone!
Here's the link to my Snowflake Bentley Symposium photos. :-)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153295800946754.1073742029.637766753&type=1&l=1a8e0544f4
listener, so fine!! Am so glad for you!! xox
Good Morning.
Yea for you, Listener. Congratulations! I think of what we say when we sometimes find ourselves freed from something onerous. We say "Thank God, free, free at last" quoting Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. And, when we pass schools during the daytime, we say, Aren't you glad we're not there.
I loved teaching, the kids, my lifelong friends, but I'm done with that.
Have a wonderful day.
Congratulations, Listener!!! You are going to LOVE retirement! Time is the gift we receive then. Have Fun!
Good wishes for Jo today! Love to all.
Ah, Puddle, good to see you again.
Congratulations on your retirement, Listener! May you have many hours of fun doing whatever the heck you WANT to do!
Drs say 3 months for the ablation to heal. in the meantime, I get tired easily. just want to go home and take a nap.
This too, shall pass. And soon, I hope!
XOXOXOXO
Hurrah! Vermont Gas Systems has decided not to pursue laying a gas pipeline underneath Lake Champlain and over to New York state. Are you listening, Keystone?
Hurrah! Vermont Gas Systems has decided not to pursue laying a gas pipeline underneath Lake Champlain and over to New York state. Are you listening, Keystone?
http://digital.vpr.net/post/opponents-celebrate-gas-pipeline-failure?utm_source=Vermont+Public+Radio&utm_campaign=9f32b8755c-The_Frequency_To_PrEview_Audience_2_12_152_12_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_09c24b4034-9f32b8755c-26117497
♥ * ♡ ♥ * ♡ ♥ * ♡ ♥ * ♡ ♥ * ♡ ♥ * ♡
Thanks to you all for all the sweet words on my retirement! I am really looking forward to getting into some sort of rhythm that is home based and gentle. Today wasn't exactly that, as I spent 4 hours battling with my computer and two printers to get a few Valentines made for the grands and the kids! Egads! Next year I'm going to make them with paint and scissors! LOL! But there I was at the post office ten minutes before closing, and I wasn't at the Library working, like I would have been had I not retired. Had it not been for retirement, the Valentines would have been late! :-D
♥ * ♡ ♥ * ♡ ♥ * ♡ ♥ * ♡ ♥ * ♡ ♥ * ♡
Line is horrible. I get a minute online from start to finish. Usually not time to even load a page without several tries. Can't move the phone company off their dime--still the 16th. . . .
Enjoying full Downton.
Cold as a welldigger's watch. And for the next stretch. Ack.
All is quiet on the Western front. Still not getting rested. going to have to call dr today and see what the heck.
Sorry about your phone line, Puddle.
much love and many hugs to all.
Good Morning,
It's supposed to be about 65 degrees today. While I dislike winter, we will pay for this kind of warming come spring, summer, and fall. I hope we're not in for another drought. Colorado and its volatile weather: 2013 floods, and possibly in 2015, drought.
Barb, I'm sorry to hear you are not sleeping well. I've found that I don't sleep as well anymore, and for me, that's aging, I think. I drink an herbal tea called Sleepy Time, and that may help. I've gong to bed say, at 8 PM and than lain awake for two or three hours. I've also read that a snack before bed can help with sleep. I think seeing a doctor is worth it, since without enough sleep the next day is a drag.
Take care, friends.
correction: gone, not gong, but maybe, on the other hand???
Well, the line's been up for a whole half hour. May be that it's been fixed, but not counting on it, lol!
Barb, I know how frustrating it is when our body won't do what we need it to do. And things that have worked in the past fail.
I seem to have a phone line. It dumped me once this afternoon, but no more. Nancy's stayed on it all week, bless her heart.
Hurray for Puddle's repaired phone line!!! And thank yous to all good neighbors. Bah, humbug on all body pain!
Wisdom for the day:). Love to all.
Good Morning,
Going down to Loveland and Daz Bog for a poetry session. I've been discouraged lately, maybe needed a break. But, this is my offering for today. Please offer suggestions for improvement if you are so inclined.
Pushed Up from Deepest Ocean
We sit in front of the radio
Listening to the Hawaiian Hour
While outside the sky lours
Cantankerous in a gray wool
Dufflecoat. The wind nips
At the heels of the house.
The windows shiver. Only
Three more months of ice
And winter, then maybe spring
While the lucky ones surf
The ocean, palm trees humming
Along with the ukuleles, waving
Grass skirts, hands like flowers,
Drums, dancers’ pivoting feet.
Pushed up from deepest ocean
Maui, the one who lassoed
The sun to protect the earth
From burning, who knew
That humans needed Paradise.
Those blessed, happy ones we
Know for a while on the radio
Freezing us through story, music,
And dance, imagining Paradise
In our darkened living room.
Correction: freeing us, not freezing us. Hmmm.
Have a nice day, friends.
Beautiful Pat. Yay for phone line, Puddle. Hope it holds. We much prefer seeing you here on a daily basis.
Dr sez I need to be patient for the full 3 months that I'm healing. I'm sleeping ok, just don't seem to be rested. Burt and I are pushing our getting to bed up earlier by a half hour if I'm not rested enough during the day. Best part of it is he gets up at 8 am instead of 9 am and gets much more done during the day. Especially since he doesn't seem to need a nap any more.
He actually gets down in the basement and sorts through stuff and can get rid of a LOT of paper, old technology books that are no longer relevant, and old equipment. WHOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!! Pretty soon, we'll be able to walk through the basement/garage without having to thread our way through "stuff".
He works on his writing until one of his friends with a penchant for chatting calls, then he puts on his head set and heads for the basement.
Well, I'm heading for a new chapter in my public service arena, I'm going to become the Treasurer for the King County Dems. A position I held for the WA state Progressive Caucus for about 4 years. This will be a much bigger job as the WSPC was a very small caucus and the KCDCC consists of 5 LD's within King County. This one will be a mental challenge as it has not really been properly taken care of for many years. Looking forward to this.
I'm still on the Board of the 46th LD as an AtLarge. No longer going to be doing the refreshments. Unfortunately, no one ran for the position of doing it. I've asked for volunteers at the meetings twice and put an article in the Demogram twice. I'm going to go ahead and do this one last time and get up and make a pretty strong statement that if no one else feels it necessary to have refreshments then they are not going to have any. The stress of doing it is more than I want to bear for a while at least. I wind up in fib when I do it and I can't afford to be doing that.
Good to see you all, my friends. have a wonderful Valentines day. We're taking Kristy and Brenden out for Kristy's birthday tonight. it was actually last Sunday, but she decided she'd rather go out for dinner on a Saturday instead of Sunday.
much love and many hugs to all.
Line not too fixed, alas. Been disconnecting every few minutes all day. Going to call it in *again.*
Pat, here in the throes of the cold, I definitely appreciated your poem. Had to look up the word "lours" as I'd never seen that word for "lowers" (as in a lowering sky). Thank-you!
Barb, I bought a special lightbulb for Bill for Valentine's Day. It was developed by NASA. If you use it for about a half hour before bedtime, it lowers melatonin levels so that you fall asleep more easily and sleep better. He has used it just one night so far, but slept well.
http://www.hammacher.com/Product/86494?promo=search
Hearty Congratulations are in order for all Boston kids! It's official, Boston has broken snow records older than 150 years. Now they never have to listen to their parents or even grandparents tell them that it was tougher when they were kids. Rockin' that Record! Yeah!
Gosh, puddle, first the post and now the phone?
You deserve some serious reinforcements! &$9825;
Oops! Make that: ♡
What a dreary day, and because no poem is ever finished, with your indulgence, here's a revision.
Pulled Up from Deepest Ocean
We sit in front of the radio
Listening to the Hawaiian Hour
While outside the sky lours
Cantankerous in a gray wool
Dufflecoat. The wind nips
At the heels of the house,
The windows shivering. Only
Three more months of dark
And winter, then maybe spring
While the lucky ones surf the ocean
palm trees humming, waves
drumming along with the ukuleles,
undulating torsos, hands like flowers,
dancers’ pivoting feet.
Pulled up from deepest ocean
Maui, the one who lassoed
The sun to slow it down
To save the earth from burning
Used his magic hook to pull
Up a continent that broke up
Into islands. He knew
That humans needed Paradise.
Those blessed, happy islanders
We know for a while on the radio
Freeing us through story, music,
And dance, singing Paradise
Into our darkened living room.
hi all!! yes it is a deepfreeze here. cancelled surgery for tomorrow because I woke up coughing and stuffed up and feeling crappy. my brother just stopped by with a few bags of groceries and lots of hugs. <3
listener wouldn't that be that the light bulb increases melatonin? taking melatonin helps you sleep, it's what is in warm milk and turkey that makes you drousy. let me know how it works, I could use some help but don't want to take the supplement.
nice poem Pat, you are so creative with your thoughts and words!
sending blessings to all, especially phone line mercies to puddle, LOL! hope they are fixed real soon. xoxoxo
Good to hear from you, Jo.
Hot tea, rest, something to soothe your throat, thoughts your way. Winter and colds seem to go together, and it makes sense to postpone surgery until you feel better.
Yes, today is dreary, cold, and guess that's what makes spring, summer, and fall so spectacular.
A smile your way, and yes, blessings to all.
Ya, pretty cold here, too. Was under 0 and a windchill of -20º when I went to bed at three. Left both heaters up at full on, and was 61º this ayem. Oven's on--up to 71º now, whew!
Kiddle emailed this ayem--single digits and no elec.
Aw, Jo, I'm so sorry you've had to postpone the surgery, yet applaud you for doing so. Here's hoping you have better weather when the day comes! I'm still available if you need something. ♥
You are correct about the melatonin, Jo. I read the advertisement wrong. It never uses the word "suppresses" rather than the word "increases," but it's blue light that it suppresses, not melatonin.
"Used by NASA to help astronauts sleep in space, this is the light bulb that encourages production of melatonin—the hormone that promotes sleep. Unlike typical light bulbs that emit high levels of short wavelength “blue” light that suppresses melatonin, the NASA light bulb’s patented filter reduces blue light by 50% to facilitate a better night’s sleep. Ideal for use in a nightstand lamp for 30 minutes before you fall asleep, the light bulb helps maintain your body’s natural circadian rhythm so you fall asleep faster and wake up more refreshed. The 12-watt LED produces the same light as a 60-watt incandescent for optimal illumination while reading yet lasts up to 16X longer."
http://www.hammacher.com/Product/86494?promo=search
2º
Tired of this. Very very very tired.
Wind chill tonight moving into buzzard tomorrow.
So far the water tank, with its own heater, has not frozen, but I have half a bucket of ice in the bathroom tub.
Shirlee, please let us know how you and Brenda fare. I noted in the news tonight that you could get a quarter to half inch of ICE! We have a saying up here, "With ice, all bets are off." That much ice can break trees, cause power outages and other sorts of damage. I hope you can all just stay home and stay snug. ♥
Thanks for asking, Listener. Right now it is 24 degrees with snow predicted for today. I don't function well under fifty degrees --RA plus lifelong wimp with coldweather!
So, I don't go out except for doc appts. Not even to the
book store. Brenda has a lovely, snug house and
doesn't like the cold, but must get out to wiork--and do errands.
I was in New England one summer doing some research
and It was too cold for me then. I was in my mid 40's and healthy
Ah, the scourge of cold weather. Boooo! Hope it goes a way soon for my Eastern friends. and Pat too, although she's just a bit east of me. Mid 40s to mid 50s here. I don't do well in the cold either.
Listener, am looking into that light bulb. My two daughters could use it as well. I sleep pretty well when I get myself to bed. Its the getting to bed that's the problem. Seems there is always something else that needs to be done. And after a meeting where I've been going full tilt and need to unwind keeps me up later than I want.
Good to "see" you Jo. Hope the cold doesn't hang on too long. Shirley, stay snug.
Pat, your poetry is always lovely.
I don't have to work today but Burt does so I will use my free time to get some stuff done. Right now, Sandy is bugging me to play laser tag with her. a fun way to wear her out. Shadow has absolutely NO interest.
Stay safe and warm, all. XOXOXXO
10º and snowing. Gonna snow till tomorrow morning. At least it's snow.
Since this is Presidents' Day, like to say how happy and glad I am to have lived to see this man President. We're luckier than we deserve.
Hi Friends,
About six inches of snow here, and more tonight and tomorrow. The temperature about 28 degrees. The sky clears, then clouds, and snow falls, then the pattern continues.
Puddle, I agree, how blessed we are in Obama. For me, the best president in my lifetime. Can you imagine John McCain and Sarah Palin? Huckabee, Santorum, Rand Paul, Rick Perry...?
I can't think of any democrats who stand out other than Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. That says something too.
There seems to be increasing awareness that our democracy is badly broken. I read it in Harpers and other magazines.
Stay warm. This too will pass.
Cute new thread. . . .
Agree about President Obama.. He gets extra points. Because heras a very happy, loving family life.
Thanks for the new thread, Puddle. We have a bright
blue sky, 20 degree temps with an inch or soof snow
with ice on top. All schools closed, medical offices etc.
Opened late. Brenda is home. I thinkt they shut things
down because of the cold as much as iceand snow.
Cold looks to last most of the week. Stay warm and well,
Ladies of The Blog!
Correction..." he has"
Post a Comment