Wow, that's a far piece! First fella I ever fell in love with was from Charleston. I was nine. And, shiest person you can imagine, asked him to marry me (he could juggle!). Broke my heart when he married my cousin four years later. . . .
We had VT*Grand here overnight and all day long, and into this evening when we met up with her parents at the big Champlain Valley Fair.
Grandad to VT*Grand: Did you like your floaty board that Auntie gave you for an early birthday present? VT*Grand: (brightening right up): Yeah!! I did!! Grandad: Did you know that Auntie is also your Godmother? VT*Grand: Mmm, hmmm! Grandad: A Godmother is kind of like having an extra mother, not your real mother but a special mother. VT*Grand: Yeah, a *Fairy* Godmother! Grandad: Exactly!
VT*Grand says that when she grows up and has twins named Grace and Carl, we can come and visit them. She plans to call them Gracie and Carlie. She turns 5 on Saturday. :-)
VT*Grand also says that one time she ate ice cream and instead of it going into her stomach it went into her arm and made her booboo feel better.
I took out previous because I forgot to put the www in front of the links - if someone could please make them live?
Hi Puddle, Burt finally put aside his two paying jobs (you know, the ones that pay the rent) and decided to write on his sequels this morning. Poor guy, they are in his head and trying to get out. The one job he has started out at 20 hrs a month, and then the guy wanted this added and that added and another thing added and he spends almost 40 hours a month. (of course, the pay is the same, so in effect, cutting his hourly in half) He made a decision to not write 25 blog entries a month and focus on only one every week day and leave his weekends alone. That will cut it down to about 30 hrs a month. Burt doesn't mind as we really like the guy and there is no reason he has to have Burt doing this except to help us out. But he does need to write his own stuff as well.
His blog is on radiation and the Fukishima incident and how it is impacting the world, especially the west coast over here.
His articles are on www.Nucleotidings.com, the links are on www.Radiationrelations.com and his geiger counter readings (yeah, the guy bought Burt a geiger counter) is www.Geigerthis.com
Puddle or Jo, can you please make the links live for me?
As to the book sales, about as good as can be expected for not being able to take the time to get it advertised as much as we should. And my offer to my bloggie friends here is for the book at half price. Just email me at barbara@whitts-end.com. And, BTW, you are the ONLY ones to ever get this offer.
What follows href= is the actual link. What comes between the >< is what will show up on the page. I usually just put the link in both places, since I personally don't like to click on blind links. Usually, lol! I generally link baby as a blind link. . . .
will that code open the link in a new tab? I hate it when my links open up over what I'm looking at. DFA had an option to open in new window, or new tab, or just where you were.
You mean that nucleotidings came from the quilters blog? How interesting is that.
Back in GSO looking over Elm Street--all seems in order :)
We had a wonderful trip--drove north on the west side of the blue ridge mountains and came back through them in W.Va/VA--some beautiful, beautiful scenery--and a couple of mighty tunnels I had never been through. Brenda and I both thought the link about the fruits of Obama's first term achievements was very accurate. Traveling through what were undoubtedly part of FDR's work programs made the predicted future of President Obama's seem very likely. I think I will stick with the guy.
Glad you're home, and have *direct* access to us/and vice versa, lol! Tell Brenda that she's welcome any time though.
I lived for a while when my kids were small in Greenbelt, Maryland -- one of a handful of WPA project cities. Lovely place, and the elementary school was covered with art from the era -- http://livingnewdeal.berkeley.edu/projects/city-of-greenbelt-greenbelt-md/ It now seems to be a community center.
Barb, if you right click on a link, you have the option of opening in a new tab or window. I don't know how to change Blogger.com software to make it automatically do so.
Hey! I lived on the Army Base of Ft. Meade and we'd go into Greenbelt all the time to go to the BurgerKing there. Small world. Kids were in elementary school.
Heh, me and my next door neighbor used to drive up to Ft. Meade to go horseback riding! (She was a Navy wife, and would shop after at the PX.) Maybe I saw you in the parking lot, lol!
No, but mine did contract work at NSA. Hers was a dentist, lol! Mine said the scariest moment of his life was coming into NSA, stopping at the guard house to present credentials, being asked what was on the passenger seat, telling them "a solder gun," and suddenly being surrounded by guys with assault riffles pointed at his head. When it was done, they suggested that *next* time he say: Soldering IRON. . . . Maybe your guy was one of those with the guns?
NSA was the most krezzy *paranoid* crew I've ever dealt with.
Puddle, Burt worked on John Paul Jones Hill NSA listening post in Guantanamo when we were stationed there. He was inside the fence with the guards (and guard dogs) all around.
We wound up with one of those guard dogs because he'd lick anyone to death before he'd attack them. He fell in love with my son and they were inseparable.
Can't believe all the military connections you and I have.
Jo! thanks for mentioning Burt's book on FB! I was SO excited to see it there. He just getting set to release his non-fiction book on Cognitive Biases. A quick reference book aimed at progressives to help them identify underhanded mind tricks the right try to play on them. And good for use in daily life.
Right now, we are sending it out gratis to all our favorite candidates as Burt's contribution to the political discourse. The ones that have received it so far are delighted with it. I should send one to Marcia. She's having quite a battle up there. I have her address from the Christmas card list so I'll send one along.
Ah, in answer to the question about my husband being one of those with the guns. No, he was one of the ones being guarded. I loved the area up there, it was so beautiful.
HAHA, just remembered the day that there was a deer on one of the embankments that had been shot but was still able to move around. They shut down all access roads to NSA for HOURS until they were able to get to the deer and kill it so it could be removed. Never did find out who shot it. It would have been really stupid of him to come forward to try to get the dear as guns were not allowed anywhere near NSA.
Barb, that's wonderful that Burt has a book on Cognitive Biases. A needed contribution.
I am heart sick at the lies, the manipulation, the values of money, power, status, and the total lack of ethics, fairness, honesty, vision.
My sense is that this has come about since Reagan, used by the corporations, playing to the evangelical right, a consumer society, with money being the only value. It's gotten steadily worse, and I really don't know what to do about it.
On NPR this morning, the manager of Romney's campaign was interviewed by Steve Inskeep. When Inskeep told him that the allegations that Obama had changed Welfare so that there was no work requirement was a lie, was a Pants on Fire judgment, the man insisted that Obama had changed Welfare that way. When Inskeep asked him why they continued to run an ad that was deceptive, the man said that Obama had changed Welfare that way.
Dear Heaven, how did dishonesty, propaganda, power with no principles become the predominant mode in our media?
Yes, they get one line to use and they answer EVERY question with the same line.
He will be releasing Cognitive Biases shortly to the general public, but for now, he's just giving it away to our candidates in the hopes that it will help them
Barb--that is a very much needed book your husband is writing-- good for him.
Recouping from travels here and waiting for expected rain from Isaac. This old building can spring a few leaks here and there during a heavy down pour.
I was so glad that all my young 'uns and their spouses could be at The Rock at the end of the week--getting harder to do that--as Puddle pointed out.
Interesting how many common ties this small group has.
Wondering how I'm going to *make* it to the election. I'm finding the rePublicans so revolting and nauseating this year, already just want to bury my head under a stack of pillows. They remind me of nothing so much as a basket full of snakes.
Barb, have a friend who was at Guantanamo when her kids were small. She came out when the baby was crying, and was making pinching motions with his hands. (Still in diapers, not much language.) She gathered that a land crab has pinched him. She said they were huge. . . .
Thanks for the link to Greenbelt Md, Puddle. I only hope that we can get back to the same care for the whole country that FDR had--not holding my breath.
When I bought my place, the original loans were constructed so they couldn't be paid off. You had to finance through a second loan. The original monthly payments were about $2.65/month if I recall correctly. It really kept the total cost of the townhouses down. When the original loans were paid off, and they could be financed in a more regular way, the prices doubled and tripled almost overnight.
I'm with you, Puddle. I can't stomach the Republicans. Husband is a history buff, taping the convention. Mostly white folks there, occasionally Asian or Latino spotted.
The theme is Obama's words taken out of context, "You didn't build that yourself." which was infrastructure. But, all the speakers and the video vignettes are using it.
The dishonesty! It's an insult not only to President Obama, but also to all the American people. To take words out of context, to fabricate a different meaning, and then direct all the speeches to this. I don't know that it gets more awful than that. I simply can't watch or listen to them.
Today's surprise was that the Primary was just for state-wide races. The local races will be added come November. So I won't see my name on the ballot until November 6th. The interesting thing is that this means my name WILL be on the ballot in November...!
Home now and all settled in.
Today went great, though I had a low-grade headache throughout. But I got to count the vote, validate all three checklists, sign off on both voting machines, and even got to bring home a copy of the printouts!
Most interesting news of the day: about 17% of voters voted. 80% of those who voted were Democrats. If that happens in November I will definitely get elected.
We are likely to have a much greater turnout in November, of course.
Sweetest moment of the day: The Justice of the Peace whom I admire most in town mentioned that she has three wedding ceremonies she’d be happy to give me copies of. That was a nice vote of confidence.
Well Puddle, that DOES help explain why they are trying to win at all costs to their karma by telling repeated lies and not blinking when confronted about them.
I think so too, Puddle, the most important of our lifetimes. If we've been undone by the Reagan tenure and legacy, Obama has begun to turn that around. A Romney Presidency will put us right back there, and we may not be able to turn around
Sometimes I wonder if humankind doesn't have to face the worst consequences before change is accepted and supported. It's as if people have forgotten it was the Bush Presidency that brought us to a crisis.
The concern I have is the myth that business people are capable, that they will bring us out of our problems, totally disregarding the fact that Romney made millions off companies that had borrowed money and then went bankrupt. Business people care about one thing: money. Not people, not the environment, not sustaining the planet, not the needy, not opportunities for others. (Not all business people of course).
Will people vote for Romney because of a myth of confidence???
After all, Nixon, one of the most unpleasant, conniving politicians was elected.
So, yes, I'm worried. The stupid, stupid Lefties have done as much damage if not more than the Republicans. It's hard to believe that Liberals, Democrats, Progressives could be so stupid, but my thought is that they've never had much to do with real politics, have spent their time ranting and being righteous.
Let's hope that Obama can reach the younger folks. It's my generation that's the problem: Right Wingers and Left Wingers, make no sense whatsoever when it comes to real governance.
Anyway, I"m worried too.
Another wildfire in Larimer County near the Wyoming border.
Thanks, Puddle for the link--the R's if this is true seem to be out of their (blank) minds--but the last comment on that post does give one pause. By 2016--it will be Ryan and the ME generation.
What a bunch of hateful people. I found Eisenhower--my first time to vote--both boring and distasteful--I chose Harry. But I don't think even E. distrusted/disliked the American people as a whole.
I think if the Republicans win this one ("win"), they'll do so much damage that there'll be no way out but revolt/revolution. And the amount of blood/pain in that option makes me very sad. . . .
I'm with Pat in hoping the kids can pull this off. . . .
One of the 4 over the air (only free tv for me, haven't paid for cable or other means for 3 decades) PBS stations in NE Florida ran Humbert Humphrey and the Art of the Possible on Monday night. Both LBJ and Tricky Dick suffered by comparison to the last great Liberal leader.
It closed with Humphrey at a desk expounding on each phrase of the Preamble. Great, great lecture.
Tonight at 11 PM PBS runs Nixon's the One, How Tricky Dick stole the 60's and changed America forever. Title suggests a real slant, doesn't it. I will stay up for it.
Made it through 4 hours of PBS coverage of the GOP lie fest last night - up for another one this evening. Taking notes for some extended commentary here when I can get back to it.
As he put it, the grossest statements of illogic, fallacy, bragging, oh, did you know that FDR all by himself won WWII? And then the blowsy, gooey, sickening sentimental puerile declarations of patriotism. And of course, the out of context statement that You didn't do it by yourself, over and over repetition. Just sickening.
I think if the Republicans have any credit due them, it's they've contributed overwhelmingly to the dumbing down of this country.
I look at these faces, (when I go downstairs and catch some glimpses) and wonder, how, how, how can anyone believe such claptrap???
SO glad I haven't a TV, or I know I'd be tempted to peek. The facebook reporting is bad enough, lol! Not to mention gushing relatives who find it fine and more. . . .
“The Republican Party has set out at its 2012 convention in search of the Event Horizon of utter bullshit. It has sought to see precisely how many lies, evasions, elusions, and undigestible chunks of utter gobbledegook the political media can swallow before it finally gags twice and falls over dead”
Whew!!! Just read the reporting from your link, Puddle. I, too, am very glad I don't have a television--I would have broken glass and leaking whatever throughout the apartment and probably get thrown out of The Lofts.
Conventions always seem a bit full of overgrown rhetoric--I was totally embarrassed by John Kerry's childish "reporting for duty" response in 2004. But this year's Repubs are C-R-A-Z-I-E!!!
About the Romney/Ryan/Republican lies: I remember the end of the debate in 1984, when Reagan got off onto the Ventura Highway, and couldn't get back, thinking: THERE, it's been seen, it can't be denied! Pretty obviously and clearly Early Alzheimer's behavior. . . . And millions of people SAW it. . . . Even my hunny who was Chinese, and whose English was still pretty marginal at that point, *got it*. . . .
Boy, was I wrong, eh? I'll *never* underestimate again how much can be *ignored* or deleted or simply never seen by a brain which wishes a different outcome. . . . That there is a goodly percentage of the population that will poke out its own eyes before being made to see what it does not wish to see.
And, yes, I especially wish to *include* those doing the lying in the first place.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Looks like me and his kid are the only ones who remember, lol!
Just when the Alzheimer's began can never be known. But while the line between mere forgetfulness and the beginning of Alzheimer's can be fuzzy, a matter of gradation, Mr. Reagan's four main White House doctors say they saw no evidence that he had cross. . . .
Think that's one thing Ryan and Romney have in common: neither is ready for prime time. Romney's been shielded by his money his whole like, and Ryan's never been a big enough fish to get the idea that people are actually going to expect you to tell the truth. . . . Both of them, I think, are victims of years of having lied to *themselves* first. . . .
I had an exhausting day at work (school is back in session and the kids come over after school)!!!
Best part of the day was hearing that my dearest friend, who has breast cancer, found a truly stellar surgeon who is intelligent and understanding, kind and thorough! Such relief!
Imagine! Health care the way it ought to be! Check this out:
When they were trying to locate the full pathology report which neither [my primary care doctor] nor I have, I said I was sorry it wasn't there and he put his hand up and said, "You have nothing to apologize for. You have plenty enough to think about with what you're dealing with right now. *We* handle the paperwork. That's not your worry." In fact, because I had signed a release for all my records, they were able to have the full pathology report faxed and in hand within five minutes! At another time he said, "You've just been dumped off in a minefield. It's our job to get you through it safely step by step." . . . He escorted us to the door and said, "Go out, have some lunch. When you're talking it over this afternoon if each of you remembers something I said differently, don't argue about it, just call the office. Somebody will explain it to you once again." Very humorous and kind.
The office even has a person called a “breast health navigator” who helps coordinate all the various appointments and specialists. I feel immensely relieved! ♥
What are Romney's positions? by Xantar on Fri Aug 31st, 2012 at 12:33:15 AM EST [ Parent | Reply to This | ]
* [new] Rated R (none / 0) For the poor: Missionary For the rich: 69 by Oscar In Louisville on Fri Aug 31st, 2012 at 08:14:18 AM EST ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ It's prolly funnier if you know Oscar's a truly born-again preacherman. . . .
66 comments:
Stole that. But didn't steal *this*:
HOWARD IS NUMBER ONE. ALWAYS.
This is stolen, too, from Tom Bearse over at Rich's place:
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/march_april_2012/features/the_incomplete_greatness_of_ba035754.php
It's a beaut!
Have made it safe and sound to Charleston WV!
shirmur says. " yes puddle, we are still planning a trip to see you this fall! Can't wait!"
Love the mountains! Thanks!
Can't wait, either!!
Wow, that's a far piece! First fella I ever fell in love with was from Charleston. I was nine. And, shiest person you can imagine, asked him to marry me (he could juggle!). Broke my heart when he married my cousin four years later. . . .
HAHAHAHA!!!! Good one!
Hi, Barb! How's book sales going? Is it about time to start editing the sequel?
We had VT*Grand here overnight and all day long, and into this evening when we met up with her parents at the big Champlain Valley Fair.
Grandad to VT*Grand: Did you like your floaty board that Auntie gave you for an early birthday present?
VT*Grand: (brightening right up): Yeah!! I did!!
Grandad: Did you know that Auntie is also your Godmother?
VT*Grand: Mmm, hmmm!
Grandad: A Godmother is kind of like having an extra mother, not your real mother but a special mother.
VT*Grand: Yeah, a *Fairy* Godmother!
Grandad: Exactly!
VT*Grand says that when she grows up and has twins named Grace and Carl, we can come and visit them. She plans to call them Gracie and Carlie. She turns 5 on Saturday. :-)
VT*Grand also says that one time she ate ice cream and instead of it going into her stomach it went into her arm and made her booboo feel better.
My dear friend who has breast cancer responded:
"I'm going to get me some ice cream!"
:-)
I took out previous because I forgot to put the www in front of the links - if someone could please make them live?
Hi Puddle, Burt finally put aside his two paying jobs (you know, the ones that pay the rent) and decided to write on his sequels this morning. Poor guy, they are in his head and trying to get out. The one job he has started out at 20 hrs a month, and then the guy wanted this added and that added and another thing added and he spends almost 40 hours a month. (of course, the pay is the same, so in effect, cutting his hourly in half) He made a decision to not write 25 blog entries a month and focus on only one every week day and leave his weekends alone. That will cut it down to about 30 hrs a month. Burt doesn't mind as we really like the guy and there is no reason he has to have Burt doing this except to help us out. But he does need to write his own stuff as well.
His blog is on radiation and the Fukishima incident and how it is impacting the world, especially the west coast over here.
His articles are on www.Nucleotidings.com, the links are on www.Radiationrelations.com and his geiger counter readings (yeah, the guy bought Burt a geiger counter) is www.Geigerthis.com
Puddle or Jo, can you please make the links live for me?
As to the book sales, about as good as can be expected for not being able to take the time to get it advertised as much as we should. And my offer to my bloggie friends here is for the book at half price. Just email me at barbara@whitts-end.com. And, BTW, you are the ONLY ones to ever get this offer.
XOXO to all
Here you go:
www.Radiationrelations.com
www.Geigerthis.com
Making links live =
<*a href= link or some words you want go here*> LINK <*/*a>
minus the *s
What follows href= is the actual link. What comes between the >< is what will show up on the page. I usually just put the link in both places, since I personally don't like to click on blind links. Usually, lol! I generally link baby as a blind link. . . .
baby
http://nucleotidings.com/
And interesting. . . . this is from the Japanese quilter's blog that Susan from HEP got me hooked on:
Started following more for an inside view of life in Japan post Fukishima, now follow mostly because I just love her. Ah, internets. . . .
Have NO idear why that didn't show up:
http://tttl1998.blogspot.com/2012/08/playground.html
will that code open the link in a new tab? I hate it when my links open up over what I'm looking at. DFA had an option to open in new window, or new tab, or just where you were.
You mean that nucleotidings came from the quilters blog? How interesting is that.
And thanks so much for the assist!
I'll practice
ah, ok I see now that I posted. I'll send that one along to Burt.
Back in GSO looking over Elm Street--all seems in order :)
We had a wonderful trip--drove north on the west side of the blue ridge mountains and came back through them in W.Va/VA--some beautiful, beautiful scenery--and a couple of mighty tunnels I had never been through. Brenda and I both thought the link about the fruits of Obama's first term achievements was very accurate. Traveling through what were undoubtedly part of FDR's work programs made
the predicted future
of President Obama's seem very likely.
I think I will stick with the guy.
Glad you're home, and have *direct* access to us/and vice versa, lol! Tell Brenda that she's welcome any time though.
I lived for a while when my kids were small in Greenbelt, Maryland -- one of a handful of WPA project cities. Lovely place, and the elementary school was covered with art from the era -- http://livingnewdeal.berkeley.edu/projects/city-of-greenbelt-greenbelt-md/ It now seems to be a community center.
Barb, if you right click on a link, you have the option of opening in a new tab or window. I don't know how to change Blogger.com software to make it automatically do so.
AH! Great, thanks. I'll do that in the future.
Hey! I lived on the Army Base of Ft. Meade and we'd go into Greenbelt all the time to go to the BurgerKing there. Small world. Kids were in elementary school.
Heh, me and my next door neighbor used to drive up to Ft. Meade to go horseback riding! (She was a Navy wife, and would shop after at the PX.) Maybe I saw you in the parking lot, lol!
Did her husband work at NSA? My husband did. Which is why, as a Marine, he was stationed at an Army base. I think '69 - '71 or there abouts
No, but mine did contract work at NSA. Hers was a dentist, lol! Mine said the scariest moment of his life was coming into NSA, stopping at the guard house to present credentials, being asked what was on the passenger seat, telling them "a solder gun," and suddenly being surrounded by guys with assault riffles pointed at his head. When it was done, they suggested that *next* time he say: Soldering IRON. . . . Maybe your guy was one of those with the guns?
NSA was the most krezzy *paranoid* crew I've ever dealt with.
We also have Marine Guards at our little NSA listening post up the road here, even though it's "officially* a Navy Base, lol!
Forty nine years. . . .
I have a dream. . . .
listener's BIG DAY!! Voting mercies!!
Puddle, Burt worked on John Paul Jones Hill NSA listening post in Guantanamo when we were stationed there. He was inside the fence with the guards (and guard dogs) all around.
We wound up with one of those guard dogs because he'd lick anyone to death before he'd attack them. He fell in love with my son and they were inseparable.
Can't believe all the military connections you and I have.
Jo! thanks for mentioning Burt's book on FB! I was SO excited to see it there. He just getting set to release his non-fiction book on Cognitive Biases. A quick reference book aimed at progressives to help them identify underhanded mind tricks the right try to play on them. And good for use in daily life.
Right now, we are sending it out gratis to all our favorite candidates as Burt's contribution to the political discourse. The ones that have received it so far are delighted with it. I should send one to Marcia. She's having quite a battle up there. I have her address from the Christmas card list so I'll send one along.
Mucho hugs to all!
Ah, in answer to the question about my husband being one of those with the guns. No, he was one of the ones being guarded. I loved the area up there, it was so beautiful.
HAHA, just remembered the day that there was a deer on one of the embankments that had been shot but was still able to move around. They shut down all access roads to NSA for HOURS until they were able to get to the deer and kill it so it could be removed. Never did find out who shot it. It would have been really stupid of him to come forward to try to get the dear as guns were not allowed anywhere near NSA.
Quick drop in, to say Hello.
Barb, that's wonderful that Burt has a book on Cognitive Biases. A needed contribution.
I am heart sick at the lies, the manipulation, the values of money, power, status, and the total lack of ethics, fairness, honesty, vision.
My sense is that this has come about since Reagan, used by the corporations, playing to the evangelical right, a consumer society, with money being the only value. It's gotten steadily worse, and I really don't know what to do about it.
On NPR this morning, the manager of Romney's campaign was interviewed by Steve Inskeep. When Inskeep told him that the allegations that Obama had changed Welfare so that there was no work requirement was a lie, was a Pants on Fire judgment, the man insisted that Obama had changed Welfare that way. When Inskeep asked him why they continued to run an ad that was deceptive, the man said that Obama had changed Welfare that way.
Dear Heaven, how did dishonesty, propaganda, power with no principles become the predominant mode in our media?
So, yes, Burt's book is very much needed.
Busy here, but glad you are all communicating.
Prior post deleted because of typo.
Yes, they get one line to use and they answer EVERY question with the same line.
He will be releasing Cognitive Biases shortly to the general public, but for now, he's just giving it away to our candidates in the hopes that it will help them
Barb--that is a very much needed book your husband is writing--
good for him.
Recouping from travels here and waiting for expected rain from Isaac. This old building can spring a few leaks here and there during a heavy down pour.
I was so glad that all my young 'uns and their spouses could be at The Rock at the end of the week--getting harder to do that--as Puddle pointed out.
Interesting how many common ties this small group has.
Back to my book--
Wondering how I'm going to *make* it to the election. I'm finding the rePublicans so revolting and nauseating this year, already just want to bury my head under a stack of pillows. They remind me of nothing so much as a basket full of snakes.
Barb, have a friend who was at Guantanamo when her kids were small. She came out when the baby was crying, and was making pinching motions with his hands. (Still in diapers, not much language.) She gathered that a land crab has pinched him. She said they were huge. . . .
And, ya, her hubby was there because of NSA, also why she is here -- Navy, and then after retirement, the facility here.
Thanks for the link to Greenbelt Md, Puddle. I only hope that we can get back to the same care for the whole country that FDR had--not holding my breath.
When I bought my place, the original loans were constructed so they couldn't be paid off. You had to finance through a second loan. The original monthly payments were about $2.65/month if I recall correctly. It really kept the total cost of the townhouses down. When the original loans were paid off, and they could be financed in a more regular way, the prices doubled and tripled almost overnight.
I'm with you, Puddle. I can't stomach the Republicans. Husband is a history buff, taping the convention. Mostly white folks there, occasionally Asian or Latino spotted.
The theme is Obama's words taken out of context, "You didn't build that yourself." which was infrastructure. But, all the speakers and the video vignettes are using it.
The dishonesty! It's an insult not only to President Obama, but also to all the American people. To take words out of context, to fabricate a different meaning, and then direct all the speeches to this. I don't know that it gets more awful than that. I simply can't watch or listen to them.
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/304929_518959454788274_704063645_n.jpg
Today's surprise was that the Primary was just for state-wide races. The local races will be added come November. So I won't see my name on the ballot until November 6th. The interesting thing is that this means my name WILL be on the ballot in November...!
Home now and all settled in.
Today went great, though I had a low-grade headache throughout. But I got to count the vote, validate all three checklists, sign off on both voting machines, and even got to bring home a copy of the printouts!
Most interesting news of the day: about 17% of voters voted. 80% of those who voted were Democrats. If that happens in November I will definitely get elected.
We are likely to have a much greater turnout in November, of course.
Sweetest moment of the day: The Justice of the Peace whom I admire most in town mentioned that she has three wedding ceremonies she’d be happy to give me copies of. That was a nice vote of confidence.
listener this is all sooooo exciting! I may just have to find me a man so that you can marry us! lol!
YAY!!! Listner!
Lol! Jo, I was just thinking something very similar. . . .
Well, THis made me laugh!
Well Puddle, that DOES help explain why they are trying to win at all costs to their karma by telling repeated lies and not blinking when confronted about them.
I really am beginning to think that this is the most important election of our lifetimes. . . .
But what most voters don't know is the way Mitt Romney actually made his fortune: by borrowing vast sums of money that other people were forced to pay back. This is the plain, stark reality that has somehow eluded America's top political journalists for two consecutive presidential campaigns: Mitt Romney is one of the greatest and most irresponsible debt creators of all time. In the past few decades, in fact, Romney has piled more debt onto more unsuspecting companies, written more gigantic checks that other people have to cover, than perhaps all but a handful of people on planet Earth.
Morning,
I think so too, Puddle, the most important of our lifetimes. If we've been undone by the Reagan tenure and legacy, Obama has begun to turn that around. A Romney Presidency will put us right back there, and we may not be able to turn around
Sometimes I wonder if humankind doesn't have to face the worst consequences before change is accepted and supported. It's as if people have forgotten it was the Bush Presidency that brought us to a crisis.
The concern I have is the myth that business people are capable, that they will bring us out of our problems, totally disregarding the fact that Romney made millions off companies that had borrowed money and then went bankrupt. Business people care about one thing: money. Not people, not the environment, not sustaining the planet, not the needy, not opportunities for others. (Not all business people of course).
Will people vote for Romney because of a myth of confidence???
After all, Nixon, one of the most unpleasant, conniving politicians was elected.
So, yes, I'm worried. The stupid, stupid Lefties have done as much damage if not more than the Republicans. It's hard to believe that Liberals, Democrats, Progressives could be so stupid, but my thought is that they've never had much to do with real politics, have spent their time ranting and being righteous.
Let's hope that Obama can reach the younger folks. It's my generation that's the problem: Right Wingers and Left Wingers, make no sense whatsoever when it comes to real governance.
Anyway, I"m worried too.
Another wildfire in Larimer County near the Wyoming border.
I was writing my post as you were posting yours. Thank you for the good information, Puddle.
Thanks, Puddle for the link--the R's if this is true seem to be out of their (blank) minds--but the last comment on that post does give one pause. By 2016--it will be Ryan and the ME generation.
What a bunch of hateful people. I found Eisenhower--my first time to vote--both boring and distasteful--I chose Harry. But I don't think even E. distrusted/disliked the American people as a whole.
So--now Listener has more time to campaign--hurrah!
I think if the Republicans win this one ("win"), they'll do so much damage that there'll be no way out but revolt/revolution. And the amount of blood/pain in that option makes me very sad. . . .
I'm with Pat in hoping the kids can pull this off. . . .
One of the 4 over the air (only free tv for me, haven't paid for cable or other means for 3 decades) PBS stations in NE Florida ran Humbert Humphrey and the Art of the Possible on Monday night. Both LBJ and Tricky Dick suffered by comparison to the last great Liberal leader.
It closed with Humphrey at a desk expounding on each phrase of the Preamble. Great, great lecture.
Tonight at 11 PM PBS runs Nixon's the One, How Tricky Dick stole the 60's and changed America forever. Title suggests a real slant, doesn't it. I will stay up for it.
Made it through 4 hours of PBS coverage of the GOP lie fest last night - up for another one this evening. Taking notes for some extended commentary here when I can get back to it.
Hi again,
Good to hear your voice, Publius.
Husband is watching the GOP Lie Fest.
As he put it, the grossest statements of illogic, fallacy, bragging, oh, did you know that FDR all by himself won WWII? And then the blowsy, gooey, sickening sentimental puerile declarations of patriotism. And of course, the out of context statement that You didn't do it by yourself, over and over repetition. Just sickening.
I think if the Republicans have any credit due them, it's they've contributed overwhelmingly to the dumbing down of this country.
I look at these faces, (when I go downstairs and catch some glimpses) and wonder, how, how, how can anyone believe such claptrap???
Well, back at trying to unclog the sink.
SO glad I haven't a TV, or I know I'd be tempted to peek. The facebook reporting is bad enough, lol! Not to mention gushing relatives who find it fine and more. . . .
LINK
“The Republican Party has set out at its 2012 convention in search of the Event Horizon of utter bullshit. It has sought to see precisely how many lies, evasions, elusions, and undigestible chunks of utter gobbledegook the political media can swallow before it finally gags twice and falls over dead”
Whew!!! Just read the reporting from your link, Puddle. I, too, am very glad I don't have a television--I would have broken glass and leaking whatever throughout the apartment and probably get thrown out of The Lofts.
Conventions always seem a bit full of overgrown rhetoric--I was totally embarrassed by John Kerry's childish "reporting for duty" response in 2004. But this year's Repubs are
C-R-A-Z-I-E!!!
About the Romney/Ryan/Republican lies: I remember the end of the debate in 1984, when Reagan got off onto the Ventura Highway, and couldn't get back, thinking: THERE, it's been seen, it can't be denied! Pretty obviously and clearly Early Alzheimer's behavior. . . . And millions of people SAW it. . . . Even my hunny who was Chinese, and whose English was still pretty marginal at that point, *got it*. . . .
Boy, was I wrong, eh? I'll *never* underestimate again how much can be *ignored* or deleted or simply never seen by a brain which wishes a different outcome. . . . That there is a goodly percentage of the population that will poke out its own eyes before being made to see what it does not wish to see.
And, yes, I especially wish to *include* those doing the lying in the first place.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Looks like me and his kid are the only ones who remember, lol!
ME
His kid
the debate transcript
pyzch: Oldest President, Ever. . . .
eatapyzch.blogspot.com
Just when the Alzheimer's began can never be known. But while the line between mere forgetfulness and the beginning of Alzheimer's can be fuzzy, a matter of gradation, Mr. Reagan's four main White House doctors say they saw no evidence that he had cross. . . .
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/08/30/1125935/-LYIN-RYAN-ALL-THE-MEDIA-PUSHBACK?detail=hide
I can't activate this, but I received this from Daily KOS, Chris Bowers, 25 journalists criticize Ryan for Lyin'
Think that's one thing Ryan and Romney have in common: neither is ready for prime time. Romney's been shielded by his money his whole like, and Ryan's never been a big enough fish to get the idea that people are actually going to expect you to tell the truth. . . . Both of them, I think, are victims of years of having lied to *themselves* first. . . .
I had an exhausting day at work (school is back in session and the kids come over after school)!!!
Best part of the day was hearing that my dearest friend, who has breast cancer, found a truly stellar surgeon who is intelligent and understanding, kind and thorough! Such relief!
Imagine! Health care the way it ought to be! Check this out:
When they were trying to locate the full pathology report which neither [my primary care doctor] nor I have, I said I was sorry it wasn't there and he put his hand up and said, "You have nothing to apologize for. You have plenty enough to think about with what you're dealing with right now. *We* handle the paperwork. That's not your worry." In fact, because I had signed a release for all my records, they were able to have the full pathology report faxed and in hand within five minutes! At another time he said, "You've just been dumped off in a minefield. It's our job to get you through it safely step by step." . . . He escorted us to the door and said, "Go out, have some lunch. When you're talking it over this afternoon if each of you remembers something I said differently, don't argue about it, just call the office. Somebody will explain it to you once again." Very humorous and kind.
The office even has a person called a “breast health navigator” who helps coordinate all the various appointments and specialists. I feel immensely relieved! ♥
From Booman's Convention thread:
* [new] Re: Convention Thread (none / 0)
Speaking of diametrically opposed...
What are Romney's positions?
by Xantar on Fri Aug 31st, 2012 at 12:33:15 AM EST
[ Parent | Reply to This | ]
* [new] Rated R (none / 0)
For the poor: Missionary
For the rich: 69
by Oscar In Louisville on Fri Aug 31st, 2012 at 08:14:18 AM EST
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's prolly funnier if you know Oscar's a truly born-again preacherman. . . .
roflsh! that's Oscar - love his sense of humor. always liked the cartoons that he would post. please send him my best wishes!
looks like it's time for a new thread - will put one up soon!
new thread!
Post a Comment