* Jo, your note to me just made my day. No, my week!
* Pat, how wonderful to have such a worthy turnout in honour of your friend. Life is Indeed precious. I lose sight of that most easily when I am overtired, so need to get more sleep. I'd love to know what quote you framed. Sending gentlenesses your way. ♥
Good Morning, hazy here from all the wildfires in Arizona, Utah, Idaho. Makes it hard to breathe.
Hi listener, Here's the quote from Stephen Jones' The Last Prairie: A Sandhills Journal,publ 2000, Ragged Mountain Press. This from the part called " Four Winds".
I try to think of the winds as celestial music, as a sacred gift. They sculpted these dunes. They bring the rain and snow that nourish the grasses. They generate the lightning that produces cleansing fire. At night they rattle us from sleep, reminding us that we are enveloped in creative energy and that our home planet is spinning toward eternity.
"Hey Girl, choose me, lose choice. - P. Ryan" Towed Banner flies over Paul Ryan's first public event in Lakewood, Colorado
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Tuesday, August 14, 2012
LAKEWOOD: Moments before attendees of Rep. Paul Ryan's rally at Lakewood High School entered the building this morning, ProgressNow Colorado, the state's largest online progressive advocacy organization, flew over the school (and most of the western suburbs of Denver) with a banner reading "Hey Girl, choose me, lose choice. P. Ryan."
ProgressNow Colorado flew this aerial banner to highlight Rep. Ryan's abysmal record on women's issues.
"Rep. Paul Ryan opposes abortion, even in cases of rape and/or incest. He sponsored legislation in Congress that would define a fertilized egg as a person and roll back decades of hard won victories for women's health and reproductive choice," [1] said ProgressNow Colorado executive director Joanne Schwartz. "Colorado voters have rejected a similar measure on our ballot in the last two elections. Many Colorado politicians who made the mistake of supporting the radical 'personhood' abortion bans have either lost their elections, or are attempting to distance themselves from the policy."
"Rep. Ryan might himself be young, but the policies he has championed in Congress are an appalling throwback to the past," said Schwartz. "Paul Ryan is dangerously out of the mainstream when it comes to women's issues. It's absolutely vital that women in Colorado not be fooled by Ryan and understand what he, and Mitt Romney, stand for."
"For Colorado women, the choice is simple," said Schwartz. "Choosing Romney-Ryan could mean losing choice."
Pat that is EXCELLENT! way to go Colorado progressives!
so sad about the fres, the drought s so bad in so many places. my Dad tells me relatives in St Louis say the Miss river is so low barges can't travel as they usually do.
clip... For those who make their living along the Mississippi River, helping ship many of the country’s most vital commodities, this year’s drought has inevitably raised the specter of 1988. That’s when the river got so low that barge traffic came to a standstill — and the industry lost $1 billion. Unfortunately, 2012 could be worse.
Along the 2,500 miles of the Mississippi, America’s most important waterway, signs of the country’s worst drought in 50 years can be found at almost any point. Near Memphis, the river is about 13 ft. below its normal depth, according to the National Weather Service. In Vicksburg, Miss., it’s more than 20 ft. below. Overall, the river is about 13 ft. below normal for this time of year — that’s 55 ft. below last year’s flood levels.
this is bad and if the climate change naysayers get into the WH it will only get worse as they tear down what work has been done - like destroy the farm bill and reduce spending so that more firefighters lose their jobs and more homes and landscape go upin flames.
As a token of my appreciation of having this blog to come to to keep in touch with my bloggie friends, and Burt's appreciation of my political activism, and in light of the fact that a lot of us on here are not in the 1%, we would like to offer a copy of Rare Earths to you at 50% off (postage not included).
We will send you a signed copy, along with a few Rare Earths Business cards to hand out to friends and family, if you will do us the favor of writing a review on Amazon after you read it.
OK--so where is Puddle today? Still line problems???
Listener, that would make a good bumper sticker wouldn't it?
Brenda and I are counting down and packing up to leave on our drive to the mountains on Friday morning. She is charting a route to the loveliest, most scenic and historic areas to our destination(s)! All details under control:) Good Night All---
Thanks, Jo, for the head's up: I was beginning to worry about ya'll, lol!
Just took fifteen minutes to load the main page so I could get here. Line's especially lousy tonight, but it often takes five minutes or so, so I don't tend to do it. Or even think about checking.
We had a most gorgeous storm for hours tonight. The river's sounding very happy about it all. And I'm exhausted, considering I did not one damn thing but struggle with the computer. . . .
I woke up exhaustified from several days with VT*Grand and had to drag myself through the shower and off to work. But! The coworker who can be difficult is away this week and the rest of us had a good time. I worked hard, but it went smoothly. I love it when that happens.
Plus, husband Bill had a banner day! He met with the new boss again and got some solid attaboys, then solved some software issues and figured out some more code for new projects. We are happy campers tonight!
VT*Grand will be away this weekend, so we are going to drive down to Weston VT to see Fiddler on the Roof at the Weston Playhouse! Can't wait!!
All this and the kitties have been happy and healthy all day! Sweet!
Thanks for the new Nate Silver on the other thread, Puddle. Numbers in visual form seem easier to understand --for me.
GSO story. This part of S.Elm is very much its own community- old buildings w. residences above and small businesses on the street level means we get to know our neighbors. Wanted to get out today, but didn't feel like walking far and needed some help opening a small container which I couldn't budge even with my trusty small pliers. Went down to the first floor, across the atrium, out the door and quick turn to the left is a shop. The woman who is the sole employee and I have become good friends.I had a small bottle I REALLY need to have open and could not budge--even with my trusty small pliers. I thought maybe Nikki could open it for me. Walk in and there is the local window washing man who has music playing while he washes windows up and down the street. He was standing just inside trading local stories with Nikki. I handed my bottle to him. He wrenched it open, handed it back and continued on with his stories. It just feels very--neighborly to me. I affectionately call it my "hood"--trying to cultivate a more positive meaning of the term.
Thanks, Puddle--I am adopting 'vim" to mean v&v--vim and vigor! I am waiting now for Rachelle--she who also had car problems-- to return with my clean laundry so I can finish packing. She has plenty of vim-but then she is only 40! She is a charming, intelligent, creative young 'un.
Funny how we use words without thinking about them at all, hunh? Vim all by itself is quite fetching, and you kind of *have* to actually hear it.
Pretty good with the phones today. At least not all that drop out I had yesterday. But still, very far from good. Good being where it just does it's thang, and one doesn't need to pay attention to it. . . .
Can't believe you're almost finished packing!! I never really finish: meaning, once I'm on the way I always remember something I've forgotten. Doesn't matter how many lists I make! Though I'm prolly better than most. When I shut down my house here to go west to take care of my mom for what turned out to be a year (though it was open ended when I left), I was getting ALL kinds of advice from Da Boyz of all stripes. And not ONE mentioned to check the air in the spare. . . . And good I did, cause it was v e r y low. Or not: I never needed it, lol!
And forty is a veritable baby, grin. . . .
Barb, lovely offer. I so truly wish I could bear any longer to read thrillers or mysteries of any kind, 'cause Burt's does sound like a pure winner! Something of my mother's I absolutely did NOT inherit. Even quizzes and games are getting further and further from my ken. Don't know why. Last one I read was The Constant Gardener which was a love/hate thing. Edwin loved 'em, and I finished burning that candle when I was with him.
Seem to be getting some kind of infection in my left jaw/ear. Not hurting yet, but. . . . Think I'll head somewhere tomorrow and get some C and Co-Q10, both of which I seem to be out of. Already double downing on D. Should have said: not hurting *much* yet. Tis kinda achy/tender. . . .
I get the National Nurse e-mails and think Teri should be given the highest award for The Deaniac Who Followed Through!
Of all the people on the original blog who were jokingly pitching for their preferred position in a Dean administration--she was the only one I remember who stated her case and started then to build a following. And has kept it up and is making great progress. A legacy of the campaign!
Yes, I'm on that page and I make a monthly donation to the national nurses. Just because I feel they are so important. It's not much, but I feel every little bit helps.
"And the storekeeper says to all the world, 'Good-night.'"
That’s how a very special children’s book ends. The Storekeeper by Tracy Campbell Pearson tells the story of Lil Desso, who ran the general store here in town for 30 years. It is the longest continuously-running general store in Vermont.
We love Lil, for her amazing kindness, hospitality and generosity. Our family's history was enriched by trips to Desso's in our growing up years: the 15 cents Drawer (from which our pre-Wildlife Biologist brought home plastic purple horses, orange cows, yellow sheep and more; coffee and donuts on the way to work, picking up the mail from our PO Box (even on a Sunday), the children would go there to buy the biggest pumpking that they had; always a Haunted House and Hallowe’en and a Christmas Room; the coveted tin of Christmas cookies given to regular customers; cards send by Lil at birthdays, graduations and other special moments, the reality that it was Lil who knew which families in town needed help at Christmas and took care of that; book signings (including Tracy Campbell Pearson), homemade peach pies, and so much more. We came to love Jericho because we loved Desso's Store, and Lil was the heart of Desso's. We recall how the luminarias around the green on Christmas Eve would choke her up. We recall the time a child came in after school for candy and Lil dialed the child's mom (from memory!) for permission, and that she would let children put toys on layaway to teach them the value of a dollar and hard work. She was in charge of the red fire phone, opened the store in the middle of the night to fuel the fire trucks, then stayed up to cook a meal for the firefighters! Her way of approaching Community was a great role model and teacher. Her legacy is in each one of us, and we are grateful for a life kindly lived. May Lil rest in peace and always be in our hearts. ♥
Oh, Puddle--thanks-- --this brings back such wonderful memories. It was really a diverse, intelligent, witty, and sometimes productively argumentative group. How DO you dig up all this material? Guess you have to save it first:) Thank you, thank you!
32 comments:
Thanks, Jo--looks like Romney has no
place to go but down!!!
Looks like I have some catching up to do!
* I second Shirlee's Drano.
* Jo, your note to me just made my day. No, my week!
* Pat, how wonderful to have such a worthy turnout in honour of your friend. Life is Indeed precious. I lose sight of that most easily when I am overtired, so need to get more sleep. I'd love to know what quote you framed. Sending gentlenesses your way. ♥
Shirlee! I just caught the hilarity in the juxtaposition of "nowhere to go but down" and "Drano."
Now I'm wishing ♥jc♥ were here to make us a bumpersticker:
"Put a little Drano in Romney's drain;
work for Obama."
LOL!
Good Morning, hazy here from all the wildfires in Arizona, Utah, Idaho. Makes it hard to breathe.
Hi listener, Here's the quote from Stephen Jones' The Last Prairie: A Sandhills Journal,publ 2000, Ragged Mountain Press. This from the part called " Four Winds".
I try to think of the winds as
celestial music, as a sacred gift.
They sculpted these dunes.
They bring the rain and snow
that nourish the grasses.
They generate the lightning
that produces cleansing fire.
At night they rattle us from sleep,
reminding us that we are
enveloped in creative energy
and that our home planet is
spinning toward eternity.
There are 62 wildfires burning in the West. Idaho, Washington, Utah, Arizona, etc.
No wonder the haze these past few days.
And political activism in Colorado:
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 11:24:35
Subject: Release: "Hey Girl, choose me, lose choice. - P. Ryan"
ProgressNow Colorado
"Hey Girl, choose me, lose choice. - P. Ryan"
Towed Banner flies over Paul Ryan's first public event in Lakewood,
Colorado
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, August 14, 2012
LAKEWOOD: Moments before attendees of Rep. Paul Ryan's rally at
Lakewood High School entered the building this morning, ProgressNow
Colorado, the state's largest online progressive advocacy
organization, flew over the school (and most of the western suburbs of
Denver) with a banner reading "Hey Girl, choose me, lose choice. P. Ryan."
ProgressNow Colorado flew this aerial banner to highlight Rep.
Ryan's abysmal record on women's issues.
"Rep. Paul Ryan opposes abortion, even in cases of rape and/or incest.
He sponsored legislation in Congress that would define a
fertilized egg as a person and roll back decades of hard won victories
for women's health and reproductive choice," [1] said ProgressNow
Colorado executive director Joanne Schwartz. "Colorado voters have
rejected a similar measure on our ballot in the last two elections.
Many Colorado politicians who made the mistake of supporting the
radical 'personhood' abortion bans have either lost their elections,
or are attempting to distance themselves from the policy."
http://progressnowcolorado.pnstate.org/site/R?i=cpYbquATFElxXMOqDgn9ng
"Rep. Ryan might himself be young, but the policies he has championed
in Congress are an appalling throwback to the past," said Schwartz.
"Paul Ryan is dangerously out of the mainstream when it comes to
women's issues. It's absolutely vital that women in Colorado not be
fooled by Ryan and understand what he, and Mitt Romney, stand for."
"For Colorado women, the choice is simple," said Schwartz. "Choosing
Romney-Ryan could mean losing choice."
© 2005-2011 ProgressNow Colorado. All rights reserved.
ProgressNowColorado.org
Pat that is EXCELLENT! way to go Colorado progressives!
so sad about the fres, the drought s so bad in so many places. my Dad tells me relatives in St Louis say the Miss river is so low barges can't travel as they usually do.
clip... For those who make their living along the Mississippi River, helping ship many of the country’s most vital commodities, this year’s drought has inevitably raised the specter of 1988. That’s when the river got so low that barge traffic came to a standstill — and the industry lost $1 billion. Unfortunately, 2012 could be worse.
Along the 2,500 miles of the Mississippi, America’s most important waterway, signs of the country’s worst drought in 50 years can be found at almost any point. Near Memphis, the river is about 13 ft. below its normal depth, according to the National Weather Service. In Vicksburg, Miss., it’s more than 20 ft. below. Overall, the river is about 13 ft. below normal for this time of year — that’s 55 ft. below last year’s flood levels.
Read more: http://business.time.com/2012/07/30/the-not-so-mighty-mississippi-how-the-rivers-low-water-levels-are-impacting-the-economy/#ixzz23YGnvtDi
this is bad and if the climate change naysayers get into the WH it will only get worse as they tear down what work has been done - like destroy the farm bill and reduce spending so that more firefighters lose their jobs and more homes and landscape go upin flames.
As a token of my appreciation of having this blog to come to to keep in touch with my bloggie friends, and Burt's appreciation of my political activism, and in light of the fact that a lot of us on here are not in the 1%, we would like to offer a copy of Rare Earths to you at 50% off (postage not included).
We will send you a signed copy, along with a few Rare Earths Business cards to hand out to friends and family, if you will do us the favor of writing a review on Amazon after you read it.
Just send me an email, barbara@whitts-end.com
OK--so where is Puddle today? Still line problems???
Listener, that would make a good bumper sticker wouldn't it?
Brenda and I are counting down and packing up to leave on our drive to the mountains on Friday morning. She is charting a route to the loveliest, most scenic and historic
areas to our destination(s)! All details under control:) Good Night
All---
Shirlee puddle has been posting on the back thread - I forgot to post that there was a new one. she did have phone issues this a.m.
your historic trip coming up sounds beautiful - and holistic! should be good for the spirit. xo
Thanks, Jo, for the head's up: I was beginning to worry about ya'll, lol!
Just took fifteen minutes to load the main page so I could get here. Line's especially lousy tonight, but it often takes five minutes or so, so I don't tend to do it. Or even think about checking.
We had a most gorgeous storm for hours tonight. The river's sounding very happy about it all.
And I'm exhausted, considering I did not one damn thing but struggle with the computer. . . .
I actually had a good day. Amazing.
I woke up exhaustified from several days with VT*Grand and had to drag myself through the shower and off to work. But! The coworker who can be difficult is away this week and the rest of us had a good time. I worked hard, but it went smoothly. I love it when that happens.
Plus, husband Bill had a banner day! He met with the new boss again and got some solid attaboys, then solved some software issues and figured out some more code for new projects. We are happy campers tonight!
VT*Grand will be away this weekend, so we are going to drive down to Weston VT to see Fiddler on the Roof at the Weston Playhouse! Can't wait!!
All this and the kitties have been happy and healthy all day! Sweet!
Ahhhh, Pat, what a beautiful quote from Stephen Jones, and how poignant to read with all the fires raging. ♥
Thanks for the new Nate Silver on the other thread, Puddle.
Numbers in visual form seem easier to understand --for me.
GSO story. This part of S.Elm is very much
its own community- old buildings w. residences above and small businesses on the street level means we get to know our neighbors. Wanted to get out today, but didn't feel like walking far and needed some help opening a small container which I couldn't budge even with my trusty small pliers. Went down to the first floor, across the atrium, out the door and quick turn to the left is a shop. The woman who is the sole employee and I have become good friends.I had a small bottle I REALLY need to have open and could not budge--even with my trusty small pliers. I thought maybe Nikki could open it for me. Walk in and there is the local window washing man who has music playing while he washes windows up and down the street. He was standing just inside trading local stories with Nikki. I handed my bottle to him. He wrenched it open, handed it back and continued on with his stories. It just feels very--neighborly to me. I
affectionately call it my "hood"--trying to cultivate a more positive meaning of the term.
Oops--guess I need to go back to bed--didn't do a very good job of editing my last bit--
This is a VERY good explanation of that $716 billion the RR boyz is going to be talking about from this on. . . .
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/08/14/romneys-right-obamacare-cuts-medicare-by-716-billion-heres-how/
Shirlee, *very* nice explication of the the neighborhood, lol! And *nobody* is expected to be up to full vim at 3:20 in the ayEm, eh?
Don't think I've evah asked myself *what* "vim* was before. . . . Though we had a lot of fun with "ept" in college.
Thanks, Puddle--I am
adopting 'vim" to mean v&v--vim and vigor! I am waiting now for Rachelle--she who also had car problems-- to return with my clean laundry so I can finish packing. She has plenty of vim-but then she is only 40! She is a charming, intelligent, creative
young 'un.
Funny how we use words without thinking about them at all, hunh? Vim all by itself is quite fetching, and you kind of *have* to actually hear it.
Pretty good with the phones today. At least not all that drop out I had yesterday. But still, very far from good. Good being where it just does it's thang, and one doesn't need to pay attention to it. . . .
Can't believe you're almost finished packing!! I never really finish: meaning, once I'm on the way I always remember something I've forgotten. Doesn't matter how many lists I make! Though I'm prolly better than most. When I shut down my house here to go west to take care of my mom for what turned out to be a year (though it was open ended when I left), I was getting ALL kinds of advice from Da Boyz of all stripes. And not ONE mentioned to check the air in the spare. . . . And good I did, cause it was v e r y low. Or not: I never needed it, lol!
And forty is a veritable baby, grin. . . .
Barb, lovely offer. I so truly wish I could bear any longer to read thrillers or mysteries of any kind, 'cause Burt's does sound like a pure winner! Something of my mother's I absolutely did NOT inherit. Even quizzes and games are getting further and further from my ken. Don't know why. Last one I read was The Constant Gardener which was a love/hate thing. Edwin loved 'em, and I finished burning that candle when I was with him.
Seem to be getting some kind of infection in my left jaw/ear. Not hurting yet, but. . . . Think I'll head somewhere tomorrow and get some C and Co-Q10, both of which I seem to be out of. Already double downing on D. Should have said: not hurting *much* yet. Tis kinda achy/tender. . . .
I'm sure that puddle already knows this, but ladies would you like to know a good way to connect quickly with a lot of the old deaniacs on facebook?
just search for the national nurse campaign and check out the members! and join while you're there, it's wonderful what they have accomplished!
Zephyr Teachout is another one, lol!
I get the National Nurse e-mails and think Teri should be given the highest award for The Deaniac Who Followed Through!
Of all the people on the original blog
who were jokingly pitching for their preferred position in a Dean administration--she was the only one I remember who stated her case and started then to build a following. And has kept it up and is making great progress. A legacy of the campaign!
Absolutely, Shirlee!
And just for ol' times' sake: http://dean2004.bmgbiz.net/blogadmin.html
Yes, I'm on that page and I make a monthly donation to the national nurses. Just because I feel they are so important. It's not much, but I feel every little bit helps.
Barbara, Shirlee, and Jo...
Well said!!
Teri is amazing and I concur she serves the highest Howardly ever!!!
"And the storekeeper says to all the world, 'Good-night.'"
That’s how a very special children’s book ends. The Storekeeper by Tracy Campbell Pearson tells the story of Lil Desso, who ran the general store here in town for 30 years. It is the longest continuously-running general store in Vermont.
We love Lil, for her amazing kindness, hospitality and generosity. Our family's history was enriched by trips to Desso's in our growing up years: the 15 cents Drawer (from which our pre-Wildlife Biologist brought home plastic purple horses, orange cows, yellow sheep and more; coffee and donuts on the way to work, picking up the mail from our PO Box (even on a Sunday), the children would go there to buy the biggest pumpking that they had; always a Haunted House and Hallowe’en and a Christmas Room; the coveted tin of Christmas cookies given to regular customers; cards send by Lil at birthdays, graduations and other special moments, the reality that it was Lil who knew which families in town needed help at Christmas and took care of that; book signings (including Tracy Campbell Pearson), homemade peach pies, and so much more. We came to love Jericho because we loved Desso's Store, and Lil was the heart of Desso's. We recall how the luminarias around the green on Christmas Eve would choke her up. We recall the time a child came in after school for candy and Lil dialed the child's mom (from memory!) for permission, and that she would let children put toys on layaway to teach them the value of a dollar and hard work. She was in charge of the red fire phone, opened the store in the middle of the night to fuel the fire trucks, then stayed up to cook a meal for the firefighters! Her way of approaching Community was a great role model and teacher. Her legacy is in each one of us, and we are grateful for a life kindly lived. May Lil rest in peace and always be in our hearts. ♥
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/burlingtonfreepress/obituary.aspx?n=lillian-d-desso&pid=159188096#fb
pumpking = pumpkin (or maybe pumpkin king)
Ahem...
serves = deserves
Gosh, I guess I need to go to bed and sleep more too, Shirlee! :-)
Oh, Puddle--thanks-- --this brings back such wonderful memories. It was really a diverse, intelligent, witty, and sometimes productively argumentative group.
How DO you dig up all this material? Guess you have to save it first:)
Thank you, thank you!
Listener--what a wonderful person--I think many small towns at some point had a slightly similar, but probably less energetic and kid friendly person.
Thanks for the history.
new thread!
love the stoties, keep them coming!
Post a Comment