Sunday, April 29, 2012

DO YOU REMEMBER...?

... when we shared a turkey sandwich with the Gov and raised a ton of money for the campaign?  remember the bats...!

What are some your favorite memories of the past 9 years on Blog For America? 

Lead on, Dean people!

22 comments:

Jo_in_Vermont said...

yes, indeed, Howard is first!

Pat said...

Morning Jo,

You are pretty firsty yourself!

Beautiful day here. Interesting, I won't forget this day either. It seems like a new direction.

Paat

Shirlee in NC said...

Oh, yes--I remember the several "lunch with Howard" sessions.
I did eat at my computer--following the discussions. It is one of my fondest memories. I also remember Puddle and Edwin's courtship and cherished it. For some reason I can't get on baby this morning. But know you are in our thoughts.

Shirlee in NC said...

And who remembers when
in the heat of of Howard's campaign the bloggers were jokingly deciding which spot in the Dean administration they would like to have? And, Terri (sp?) our blogging nurse decided she would like to be the nation's chief nurse.
It has been fascinating to watch and read about how well plan is--marching right along. Phil can still give her a double or even a triple Howardly!!!!

puddle said...

I remember some *super* trolls, lol! Some from my time (Crayon comes to mind -- who followed me over to baby for a couple of years after he got banned -- even when he just lurked I knew he was there: he worked for the World Bank in Alexandria, and used his work computer. I could "see" the hits in my stats. And then he posted from home, and I located his home computer in Wheaton, MD. . . .) and some of the other trolls surfaced when I reread old threads from before my blogging time. Some of them were very bright and articulate, grin.

puddle said...

I used to laugh that Edwin had such a hard time ever introducing me as Julie. He'd kind of gulp and swallow before spitting it out. He clearly always thought of me as puddle. Don't think he ever once called me Julie to my face, lol!

puddle said...

For the past month about, I've been saving a number of the last threads at BFA. Some were SO dismal that I didn't wish to have a record; some I missed. For six months, my life has been regulated in large part by the need to get to the computer in time to refresh before the thread change. Sorta like Phil yesterday. So I'm feeling a good bit of "at loose ends" right now -- don't *have to get up* or I'll miss the overnighter; or wait to go gardening, or I'll miss the last couple of hours of the day thread. Or stay up later than I want so I don't miss the end of the evening thread. This has been magnified over the past month.

At any rate, naming the threads that I did save, was kind of fun. (Too lazy really to give date/time -- not the kind of typing that I like to do, especially since windows won't let you do slashes. . . . So this morning I got a screen capture of the folder, which caught most of it. Will put it up at baby later this afternoon. Maybe ya'll will remember some of 'um just by their new names. . . .

Shirlee in NC said...

Yes--I am still checking into dfa-and it is a shock. One gets trained--I suppose :)--Really wonder what the problem was--financing, motivation, Puritopians?

Off to one f the several GSO library branches this afternoon with my daughter. Great library system--central library and a branch for each community/neighborhood--with holdings tailored to the population and pick up and returns interchangeable among branches.

Understand about men and names--same experience!

puddle said...

But I think always, always I'll remember the people: how wonderfully helpful everyone was. Ask a question about virtually anything, and *someone* would jump in with the info, or leads, or stories.

I personally am especially indebted to Mainefem, jc, and Renee. I was nearly brand new to both computers and the internets, and those three jumped in continually and continuously to help me out. I'm thinking of that right now, because jc walked me through how to make a live link (via private email), so I am able to do this:

[which is a test, lol!][but if you want to, the list is up at baby, and it wouldn't hurt to light a link for Ally either, even though there really isn't an update at this moment]

Ally update at baby:
baby

Ally's Candle Page

puddle said...

Shirlee, I think with Charles' exit, the last desire/belief that they could *control* the cats left. They let it drift till it became an election year again (the time of the last putsch), took a look, and decided they didn't want their name involved with the wrangling. Or with the Puritopian drivel. AS TPM pointed out, even the professional progs are getting their ducks in a row for this one. And I think it's painfully clear that the Three Musketeers were going to keep it up till da cow (bells) came home. Prolly financially they really *aren't* doing well enough to hire a moderator, and they've never trusted us enough to start a trusted user status so bloggers can help -- like at Kos and Booman. AND, they *may* really think that Facebook and twitter are any kind of substitute for what they starved to death.

Pat said...

Hi Jo, Puddle, Shirlee,

Just back from a walk with Molly Magee. I was thinking that it may take some time for the blog to catch on. Frankly, we've been in conflict mode for so long with the incessant criticism of Obama that to create a new mode will be an effort.

I don't know how old bfa became the anti-Obama blog, but it did. There were few threads that didn't have something negative pasted about him. I don't even remember George W. getting that kind of daily thrashing.

My thought is that the fiercest critics weren't progressive at all, rather reactionaries who ironically did little or nothing when it came to Dean's campaign. Oh, the irony.

Well, a calm here, but I have to admit I was addicted to blogging. How easy it is to have that happen, maybe represents a huge need to communicate.

Well, just some thoughts, and now off for some catch-up on email.

Pat

Shirlee in NC said...

Puddle, thanks for the explanation of why--and now we go on and create something new. I will re-read your saved threads.
And check on Ally--she is such a cutie.

I have a new treasure trove of dvds, audiobooks and books from the Hemphill Branch Library in GSO--a wonderfully diverse collection which seems to match the clientele and the surrounding community.
The library also serves as a small art gallery with murals and sculptures.

I am happy to have this peaceful place to come to--and do miss the old blog--but the aptly named TM's were finally very stressful to me.
I think Howard would be happy we are here!
and good to see you here, Pat..

Anonymous said...

Ok, I see the plug was actually pulled, on 29th, I suppose.

The 29th of April 2012, I didn't even turn on a PC. I gave the WC my farewell shots on Thursday 4/26.

Thank you Jo for setting this meeting place up.

Anonymous said...

But to answer the question at the lead:
My favorite times on BFA/WC were the real time commentaries and repartee during events as the unfolded -
election nights, Congressional votes on Heath care and Climate Protection, debates, and State of Union/Other Addresses to Congress

puddle said...

Hi, publius ~~ Nope. Ended at midnight on the 28th. Sunday didn't even get a midnight stub. . . .

And, yes!, thank you, Jo!!

I'd kinda been saying goodbye all month. Which turns out not to have been quite long enough, lol!

Woohoo! I just discovered you can make the comment box BIGGER! Drag the lower right hand corner down and to the right! Saves that "crampy" feeling you get in the tiny boxes!! Yay. Hope it holds after a submission.

puddle said...

Didn't hold, dang it. But better than nothing, maybe? Easy enough to do!

Ah, publius, I agree about the real time convo/commentary: jumpin! I used to try Kos on those nights/days, too: but not the same. *Knowing* people who are commenting is important, somehow. And it really does take a good bit of time TO know others -- on line or in real life I guess.

This has been less like a long term relationship ending than going to work and finding your whole department has been pink slipped.

Jo_in_Vermont said...

pink slipped - that's what we were! ouch. it's stil sinking in for me.

thank you for your thanks - I am happy to do this and thanks puddle for offering to put up some posts. I have been feeling crappy for days and have had no energy to do much of anything. just part of the healing process I'm sure but it was 26 degrees this morning and I'm betting the cold has something to do with the way I feel. looking for sunshine and 50's today so maybe I'll thaw out!

puddle said...

DFA is looking for a new "media manager" -- is that Linsey's job? Should be easy -- they've no longer *got* any media. Sob. It still floors me that anyone thinks that facebook is equal and/or a substitute of any kind for the blog. As Mainefem would say: chat room.

No, it's not: http://democracyforamerica.com/activities/651-jobs-at-dfa-new-media-manager
And boy, are they clueless. Would be funny if it weren't so sad. Let's put the old dog to sleep so we can get a new puppy. Which we'll neglect like we did the old dog. . . . Something about a short attention span?

Pat said...

Morning to you,

I guess for me favorite memories were when the blog had many members and was more positive in nature.

When the bashing started, and probably that was during the presidential debates, there seemed to be a fracturing, and language became harsher.

I enjoyed the jokes, the graphics, the personal narratives, the experiences, the analyses, the poetry. It was vibrant and inclusive.

I still think the Great American but maybe that couldn't occur with an organization that was mainly a political support effort.

Beautiful skies here today, but cool. Still need water.

Pat

Pat said...

Sorry should read, The Great American Conversation.

Mind gaps, I guess.

Pat said...

Just a bit of Politics: When our Gov. Hickenlooper spoke in favor of bills, they were blocked. When he didn't speak out, they passed. He's a Democrat, and the Republicans opposed anything he was for.

A new book by a Brookings Inst. fellow and an Enterprise. Inst. fellow is entitled, It's Worse Than You Think, about Congress and the polarization. Both blame the Republicans.

It may shed some light on Obama's strategies.

Just some political folderol for this morning.

puddle said...

New Thread!!
(carrying over Pat's last comment, and then off to the doc's.)