What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from. ~~ TS Eliot
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
BACK TO THE FUTURE
Gov. Howard Dean
Washington, D.C. (February 21, 2003)
[Chants from back of the room]
First let me thank my wonderful and loyal advance team. Don't they deserve a hand?
[cheers]
And did you all like the maple syrup and the cheese and all that stuff?
What I want to know... is why in the world the Democratic party leadership is supporting the president's unilateral attack on Iraq?
[cheers, applause].
What I want to know... is why are Democratic party leaders supporting tax cuts? The question is not how big the tax cut should be, the question should be: can we afford a tax cut at all with the largest deficit in the history of this country.?
[cheers, applause]
What I want to know... is why we're fighting in Congress about the Patient's Bill of Rights when the Democratic party ought to be standing up for health care for every single American man, woman, and child in this country?
[cheers, applause]
What I want to know... is why our folks are voting for the president's No Child Left Behind bill that leaves every child behind, every teacher behind, every school board behind, and every property tax payer behind?
[cheers, applause]
[Audience member: "We want to know too."]
I'm Howard Dean and I'm here to represent the Democratic wing of the Democratic party.
memories...
http://mydd.com/2006/6/29/the-journey-with-trippi-dean-and-dfa
Dean 2016!
http://www.dean2016.com/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

21 comments:
Howard is of course first!
a precient blogger re: what kind of candidate we'll see in 2008...
... I think history is foreshadowed though...there are warnings but often only in the rear view mirror. In the wake of Vietnam in Watergate the moment was right for Carter in '76. In 1992 there was a recession, and Bill Clinton was the only Democrat with a strong economic message. In the wake of Iraq there was an opening for an outsider, antiwar candidate like Dean in 2004. What are the lessons for 2008? All I know is that the candidate who emerges to challenge the frontrunner must have a strong message -- not necessarily the most "liberal" but strong. I don't think any of there are there yet. Neither are the American people...yet.
by howardpark 2006-06-29 06:04PM | 0 recs
thanks again puddle! I've saved the whole thing with comments as a word doc. ;)
Thanks for this thread, Jo. After reading Puddle's link to Jerome Armstrong--I have been hankering for a taste of the old times.
Off to a doc--talk to you all later.
Still grieving here in NC!
grieving with you Shirlee.
news from Bernie:
Student Loans: Senate Republicans blocked a bill to keep college loan rates at 3.4 percent. Sen. Bernie Sanders said that's bad news for students coming out of college trying to start careers in a tough economy, The Associated Press reported. Every Senate Democrat and independents Sanders and Joe Lieberman voted for the bill, The Nation blogged.
Austerity Backlash: Sen. Sanders proposed job-creating investments in roads and bridges to bolster the U.S. economy during a discussion with "Viewpoint" host Eliot Spitzer on what the U.S. can learn from the rejection of austerity measures in Sunday's European elections.
Domestic Violence: A House bill on domestic violence would take work on immigrant cases away from the Vermont Service Center in St. Albans. Sen. Sanders accused House Republicans of "petty partisanship" for the provision aimed at Sen. Patrick Leahy, the Burlington Free Press reported.
Prize Fund: There are more efficient ways than patent monopolies to finance drug research. Sen. Sanders is proposing one such mechanism, a prize system, be adopted to support research on AIDS drugs, economist Dean Baker blogged on nationofchange.org
http://www.sanders.senate.gov/
WOOT! yay Shirlee - the vote in NC prompted him to do this!!!!!
Obama tells ABC he supports gay marriage; first president to do so
clip... WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama has told an ABC interviewer he supports gay marriage, first president to take that position.
Earlier: Mounting pressure for him to express support
President Barack Obama faced mounting pressure Wednesday to express support for same-sex marriage after a setback for gay-rights advocates in North Carolina.
Republicans there turned out in force Tuesday night to vote to strengthen the state’s gay marriage ban. The passage of the state constitutional amendment, by a whopping 61 percent of the vote, proves that the topic remains a powerful election-year wedge issue despite tough economic times. It also illustrates the risks for the president as Democrats press him to do what no other has before: back gay marriage.
http://www.freep.com/article/20120509/NEWS07/120509039/Obama-same-sex-marriage-North-Carolina?odyssey=nav%7Chead
--- that isn't a freeper site, it's the Detroit Free Press, freep.com, lol!
the article is confusing - a ways in it says that he does not support it, but I think it's lazy journalism - I think that they used copy from the last few days for background but didn't bother to edit it with the news that he now supports gay marriage.
Oops! Everything old is new again. Got left on the old thread. . . .
Delete
Blogger puddle said...
Gee, hadn't check Aziz's site in *years*!! Nice to see it still going strong.
May 9, 2012 12:54 PM
Blogger puddle said...
Greece just got enough votes for the Nazi Party that they're now in the gubbmint. . . . Scare enough people badly enough, and The Krezzy emerges: they'll go looking for someone *else* to blame.
It wouldn't be *me* not paying attention to that voting thang for decades that got us Wall Street deregulation, it would be Jews/Banksters. It wouldn't be *me* treating my wife like a piece of chit that threatens my marriage, it would be *them*. . . . It wouldn't be *me* they don't like -- they're just shooting the messenger. . . .
Be afraid of the fearful: they have your name on a bullet.
May 9, 2012 1:51 PM
Jo, I didn't see where he didn't support it. I did see where Romney didn't. And some history.
I'm wondering, too: NC for years has lured fairly high tech businesses there with tax breaks and promises of an educated work force. It may be hard to continue to do that if THIS is any indication. . . .
puddle it was this...
... Yet, Obama appeared ready to add his voice to this week’s debate in a Wednesday afternoon interview with ABC News that the White House hastily arranged. He was expected to be pressed in the interview on his views on gay marriage.
Obama backs many gay rights; he does not support gay marriage but says his personal views are evolving.
Jo, I see, lol! By the time I clicked the story, it had been revised: that's not there any more.
Prolly your copy is sticking in your cache. Try a control-5 forced refresh.
My copy goes: He *had* --
And, damn!, I checked again, and the story has changed yet *again*. . . .
Guess if your name is "freep" you don't understand that you are supposed to *give notice* if you change something after the publication. VERY Newspeak moment, grin. . . .
Thanks Puddle and Jo-
You are exactly right.In recent years NC has built a climate for highly trained professionals in all fields. Business leaders were rightly concerned about the ability to continue recruiting these people if the Amendment passed.
I think President Obama played his cards just right here. If he had supported gay marriage before the election there would have been an even larger pro amendment
vote. Those voters would have been livid. They still will not like his position but some of them will accept the majority/minority argument.. I have two good African-American friends both of whom are quite committed to their church. And they understood immediately what was at stake. Both voted against it.
And as if on cue as I am typing I hear chanting. About 100 students from one of the colleges are coming up Elm Street
"Gay,Straight,Black,
White--Marriage is a
Civil Right." I love college students.
And this place to come to.
A China moment.
A friend had checked out some books at the School Library. She got a call from the librarian asking her to bring them back. When she asked why, she was told "Because the facts in those books are no longer true." (One of the early leaders had been *reevaluated* and was being rehabbed.)
for your vewing pleasure... Vermont Public TV has done a series of interviews with ex-gov's. this one of Howard just aired last week. 56 minutes and 44seconds of Howard! ;)
http://video.vpt.org/video/2231768300/
I'm still tired but have been able to do a little more each day. today I've been removing house plants from a bakers rack in the living room so that I can move it outdoors. watering and feeding them, deciding what can go out now and what has to wait for warmer weather. I picked some of my favorite lilacs and the kitchen smells lovely! these particulr blooms have usually 3 heads of lilac bunched together on the stem and such strong scent that it keeps me awake if I have them in the bedroom - kind of like some lilies are for me.
my soul right now is more soothed than it has been in a long time. I have missed gardening so much and frankly haven't been good to my house plants for months now either. the last time I could really garden was August of 2009, so I am looking forward to this season with excitement!
Jo, I remember those lilacs from my childhood. I need to plant some here: I do love them!
I know what you mean about neglecting one's life: I'm just coming back to myself, and am stunned by the things I've let go. I think it's a survival tactic: you just don't see what you can do nothing about. Less pain that way.
LOVE your marchers, Shirlee -- sounds like they're on the right track. Think the antis may have *galvanized* the pros. Which I'm sure wasn't their intention, lol!
You know, in the long run, this vote may be a good thing: it got the President out in front (and that needs coupling with Romney's gay adviser quitting because he was gagged).
And I'll give it to him: for a politician to do that just before an election takes guts. Period. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know much about politics. I put it right up there with his risking his political career on the bin Laden go-for. Takes the kind of courage I haven't seen in a President for a very long time.
Been one beautiful, peaceful, serene day. And still, I kinda miss the kids, even if their absence has gifted me with the quiet.
I'm working with Jack Kruse's Leptin Reset. Which is a weird program, but addresses exactly my life with food. Listening to neurosurgeons ramble kind of makes for headaches, but he's got the science down pat, and I believe him. He sort of stumbled on a theory I'd had to wait fifty years to have the medical profession pick up on. AND with a solution. But it's going to be an exceedingly odd eight weeks coming up, lol! Have actually been doing the basic for two weeks with no success, so rereading, *got* the obvious (should have been obvious) -- NOTHING (with calories) BETWEEN MEALS means no creamer in your coffee. . . . So biting the bullet and going black coffee with Splenda. Which is likely to be harder than anything I've ever done in my life. . . . I gave up sugar in my coffee thirty years ago, but I can't do black: the acid/bitter is just too much for ma taste buds, so much as I doubt Splenda, that's where I'm going.
Why am I doing this? Well, after six months in starvation mode, the weight is laying itself on ma bones. I figure I've just about peaked what I can handle without knee pain. It *has* to stop. Actually, it *has* stopped -- I need to back track about 15 pounds, and I've seriously plateaued.
Sobering the body's ability to have it's way with you: was reading about the Minnesota Starvation Experiment. (WWII) The guys, 36 of them, had their diets adjusted so the calorie deficit would amount to a 25% weight loss over six months. As they ate less, they adjusted down. *EVERYONE* plateaued at five months, and one guy even *gained* weight the last month, on starvation rations! ALL of them had regained it all plus 10% in the next six months. Took them two more years of just normal eating to come back down to their original weight. According to conventional wisdom (that it takes a 3,500 calorie deficit to equal losing one pound) the guys *should* have been losing five pounds a week throughout. They didn't. They lost about a pound and a half a week. So so much for what *doctors* know about anything, lol!
Jo, got a post scheduled to go in the a.m. ~~ if you have a burning concern, feel free to put it back in draft.
Night all, under the wing, next to the heart. . . .
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/05/10/1090322/-Me-Obama-and-the-Born-Agains#comments
Post a Comment