Vermont legislature votes 103-36 to ban hydraulic fracturing
Washington (Platts)--4May2012/104 pm EDT/1704 GMT
The bill also instructs the state Secretary of Natural Resources to update the state's regulations to prohibit injection well operators from accepting waste water from out of state oil and natural gas drilling operations.
The state House of Representatives passed a moratorium on fracking in February, but the state senate earlier this week opted to prohibit the practice all together.
The bill also instructs state Secretary of Natural Resources to prepare a report by January 2016 on the potential impact hydraulic fracturing could have on public health and the environment.
http://www.platts.com/RSSFeedDetailedNews/RSSFeed/NaturalGas/6264761
17 comments:
Howard is first, and so is Jo, and puddle, and Barb, and listener, and Shirlee and Pat. I think, after all of these years putting up with crap at BFA, we deserve that. Would love to see more of our friends post here, but with FB, I can keep in touch there, too.
Blood clots in the legs, or anywhere, can be scary!!! When I walk up and down the aisles of airplanes, sometimes, like today, I get dirty looks cuz the aisles are so narrow (and my hips are no longer, LOL), but it's so important. I worry at times about DVT with all of the flying I do.
I hope everyone's having a good day and have some nice plans for the weekend. I'm working and one of the girls that was going to be a hostess in our exhibit booth had a family emergency, so I will train a new person. We are introducing ourselves into the world of Neuroscience at the American Psychiatric Association convention. 16,000 attendees!! This is gonna be a big one.
Off to dinner and a huge margarita...
Denise is first too! and thank you so much and yes, we do deserve that. stubborn bunch, weren't we, sticking with it until the end.
or maybe we're krezzy, lol!
didn't Kimmy have a problem with clots when she was pregnant for Mina - associated with flying?
I think it was with the one she lost. But ya, when she flew to DC to "meet Howard." Wish I'd saved those pics. Never imagined DFA would kill it's own archives. . . .
Krugman. . . .
Jo, my dad had a bleeding ulcer in 1964. They were feeding him via IV, which gave him clots. Which caused tremendous pain, and in the end killed him, because he didn't survive the operation to remove them from his lungs. We've come a long long way in the last fifty years. They wouldn't give him blood thinners because of the ulcer. Which they discovered during the autopsy had completely healed.
Wow! Tanner is eight years old today!! w00T!!
"What you hold in your heart, you will see in your world." ~ Ralph Marst
tango
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrDn43rjfXk&feature=fvwrel
Sorry, don't know how to make links hot. ;-(
Thanks, Denise--it is SUCH a relief to cone here and not feel stressed when I leave--partly because I couldn't communicate with you all--and then more and more just reading the constant denigration of people I have come to respect--and one of our best Presidents in my life. I always loved
Puddle's slogan--I LOVE IT WHEN I WAKE UP AND BARACK OBAMA
IS PRESIDENT--I hope I have it right. It always lifted my spirits after reading a thread I felt nagged at, etc.!!
Had a lovely afternoon and evening with two of my daughters--one passing through on her way north and the other lives in GSO. A lively First Friday (of the month) when shops, restaurants are open and lots of people including plenty of young people from the colleges and universities are out and about enjoying lovely downtown GSO!
Healing Vibes especially to Jo.
And maybe we should declare Vermont a multi-star state. Or something--for just going ahead and getting things DONE!
Deaniacs All!
I think the Fracking Legislation in Vermont is a WOW!
What is it about Vermont and its march to a different drum?
Perhaps Ethan Allen escaped mortal death to linger on with the Republic in some telemetric form and inspire defiance in his native state.
My son asked last week if the NFL would last as long as humans remained on earth.
Given our attachment to our own once-upon-a-time, I answered it probably would, just as a citizen of Rome might have replied about the eternity of gladiators in the coliseum.
But, news this week about a pattern of former NFL players' suicides by shooting themselves in chest to preserve their brains for posthumous analysis for TBI does challenge my assumptions about the competition and the business of same.
hi Publius! Vermont has always been ahead of the times - check the link, very interesting.
Did you know.....?
Vermont was the first state to abolish slavery.
In 1777, Vermont became the first state to outlaw slavery. By writing a constitution to outlaw slavery, Vermont allowed runaway slaves to stay in Vermont and allowed no one to own slaves in their state.The U.S. didn't abolish slavery everywhere until aboout 100 years after Vermont outlawed slavery in the state.
Vermont was the first state to give women an opportunity to get better education.
In 1815, Emma Willard founded higher education for women in Middlebury, Vermont.Until this point women had no or barely any opportunities to get an education beyond grammar school.
and...
http://www.virtualvermont.com/history/firsts.html
there are definitely some missing, such as first female governor and some that I vaguelyy recall reeading about from old time but don't remember the facts well enough to state them!
The first time I remarked "What is it about Vermont?" was in the context of re-authorization of IDEA - the Individual with Disabilities Education Act in 2002,3, or 4.
James Jeffords tried to leverage his switch to caucus with Dems and flip the Senate with the assurance that Feds would finally write checks for 40 % of the extra expenses for educating students with disabilities.
Jeffords and Pat Leahy were, I think, the only two Democratic Senators to vote against reauthorization of IDEA, their grounds being that the 40% commitment remained unfulfilled.
HOWARD DEAN - HE WHO IS FIRST - had also announced that the first budget he would sign as Prez would include that 40% federal share.
sheesh! I forgot that we were the first state to designate a day every year to clean up our roadsides and any trash that we could find each spring - and so Green Up Day began in 1970!
Today is Green Up Day so I think it would be good to have a thread about it! Also Vermont helped Alabama to plan and implement their first Green Up Day this year!
Post a Comment