Sunday, May 27, 2012

I HAVE A DREAM. . . .

CNN Article: Republican Voters are ‘White, Aging and Dying Off,’ And the Party Could, Too


CNN Runs Article Touting Demise of Republican Party
The End Of Republicans?
What sounds like a progressive dream was prominently featured on CNN this week.  According to an article by CNN writer Halimah Abdullah, Republicans are on their way to an ash heap of history since they are too old, white and out-of-touch.
The story starts with the musings of David Bositis. Bositis is a senior research associate at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, who states:
 ”The Republicans’ problem is their voters are white, aging and dying off.”
Bositis continues:
“There will come a time when they suffer catastrophic losses with the realization of the population changes.”
CNN Runs Article Touting Demise of Republican Party
Going the way of the Dinosaur...
It should be noted that The Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, Bositis’s group, is far from non-partisan.  It openly endorses a progressive agenda items such as single-payer healthcare and Climate Change and their stated mission is to:
“Improve the socioeconomic status of black Americans and other minorities; expand their effective participation in the political and public policy arenas; and promote communications and relationships across racial and ethnic lines to strengthen the nation’s pluralistic society.”
Back to the CNN piece.
CNN Runs Article Touting Demise of Republican Party
CNN headline
Abdullah uses this weeks controversial census data to bolster Bositis’s argument:
“Over the next several generations, the wave of minority voters — who, according to U.S. Census figures released this week, now represent more than half of the nation’s population born in the past year — will become more of a power base.”



MOAR AT THE LINKS. . . .

14 comments:

puddle said...

Howard's da boi!! As always.

I posted the bit from the conserva-site because they had better pics, lol! Also, I thought their defense was, erm, *interesting* -- but do check the original CNN piece.

Seems, to me, like they're knee deep in Da Nile. What think you?

puddle said...

Kiddle's up, had breakfast, did some weedeating, kidnapped the puppy before he finished breakfast, and is now up at the garden with Beau.

The Goobey is madly in lurv wit da kid. A joy to watch. . . .

Stock tank cum water keeper was caulked with silicone yesterday, is curing, and due, soon for a full fill. Life is *good*!!!

Pat said...

Good Morning,

Cooler today, sunny. The wildfire in the Gila National Forest in New Mexico is now 100,000 acres. Wildfires in Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, about 25 miles northwest of the Mackinac Bridge, my old territory.

While the white, aging Republicans are maybe obsolete, they still represent at least 25 % or more of the voters. With 73 million baby boomers, war babies, and depression babies still around, that's a huge portion of the electorate. The statistics are that the whites with a high school education or less support Romney.

We can't take this election for granted. It wouldn't take much to return to the ideological insanity of the Reagan, Bush years. And, when people think they are becoming obsolete, they fight harder than ever.

So, Americans, get involved, participate, talk to your neighbors, contribute whatever you can, and vote.

Jo, glad you are feeling good and able to garden. We're doing that as well. What a pleasure it is to walk, look at, and plant and water.

Puddle, glad your life will be easier with your water tank. We thought of living off the grid at one point, but felt the upkeep with solar panels and generators would be too labor intensive. You have my admiration for your low impact living.

Well, off to water the flower beds. Have a good day.

Shirlee in NC said...

Pat, i found the quote about humans as "being deeply young" very interesting. A lot to mull over.If the Republicans do fade away it won't be soon. It will be very interesting to watch what happens then.
Do they develop and gather more tea party types who seem to be younger, or does the Democratic party become the conservative party and we get a newer, more truly progressive party and not just sit-on-the-behind, complainers?

Pat said...

Hi Shirlee,

Have been having trouble getting into my home page and connecting with Google. Sometimes, it says try again, no server available. I don't know if it's my computer or CenturyLink or Google.

I wonder, too, Shirlee. My parent's Republican party was what I'd call moderate. They were involved in civic affairs and organizations, contributed to the community, and were supportive of public schools, projects such as parks and open space. They were generous.

That's not an attitude I see today among Republicans. The "welfare queens" slogan that Reagan perpetuated, and the distrust of government is destructive of any community dialogue, I think.

I'd like to see a strong Republican Party that represented business, employees, and fiscal responsibility. For instance, our privatizing of prisons is egregious. We've made the government the payer, and provide nothing for the imprisoned in the way of education, skills, job possibilities, or support for people who re-enter society. Our private sector has exploited not only the prisoners, but also the government and tax payers. An honest Republican Party might have some recognition and remedy for the situation. Certainly not the Republican Party we have today.

I doubt that we're going to get anywhere with ideology as governing. Discussion, everyone at the table, evidence, rationality, recognition of long term goals, and pragmatism I think are our best hope, but how do you deal with ideologues and my-way-or-the-highway mentality?

Jo_in_Vermont said...

woo hoo! we had our Vermont City Marathon today - gorgeous weather in the 70s with a light wind and a few puffy clouds. Our governor and the new mayor of Burlington both ran on relay teams - there were more than 8000 runners, the max allowed. the race is said to be one of the most beautiful anywhere - part of it is along Howard's beloved bike path, which has stunning views of the lake and the Adirondack mountains.

I wanted to share this bit about this morning's service for the racers - I wish this would happen everywhere, the inclusiveness is so heartwarming!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

clip... For some participants, the day started with a prayer. Several dozen people, many of them in runners’ garb, attended the service at St. Paul’s Episcopal Cathedral.

The interfaith service’s existence reflects the reality that the cathedral is literally surrounded by the race and associated crowds each marathon morning. The Rev. J. Stannard Baker, who is the cathedral’s deacon, said the choice was made many years ago to dispense with the usual morning services and instead conduct the special service for runners at 7:15 a.m. and then a traditional Episcopal service at 4 p.m.

Sunday morning’s service included elements from multiple religious traditions. These included a Tibetan prayer for motivation, a reading from the Qur’an, the reading from St. Paul, a reading from Isaiah out of Hebrew scripture and a prayer from the Native American Ute tradition.

The blessing at the end of the roughly 20-minute service asked God to “run by our sides” and to “give strength to our steps.”

At 8 a.m., in another St. Paul’s Cathedral tradition, the carillon rang for 10 minutes, an act intended to provide inspiration for the many thousands of runners as they pass by on Battery and Pearl streets, Baker said.

puddle said...

Jo, how absolutely lovely!! VV (Very Vermont)

Da boy, because he left his wallet, had limited funds, and didn't get tomato plants or seeds. I was going to go to town Toodsday and make up the loss. Meanwhile, Scotty mentioned it to Nancy, uproad chicken lady, who mentioned it to our HRG neighbors who were on their way over. So I now have a selection of homegrown starteds and a few storeboughten starteds, lol!

I'm going to get to plant them on my own, as kid is focusing on getting up a FENCE. . . .

Pat said...

Hi Jo,

Thank you for the report on the runners and the service.

Am I mistaken, but didn't private enterprise contribute to the building of the bike path? If so, that's a constructive contribution, and I'd like to see that kind of cooperation. Not so much the naming of stadiums.

Internships in high school can be helpful and motivating when companies provide them.

My experiences with private enterprise were never inspiring, unfortunately: Michigan National Bank, a small jewelry store, a small press, several restaurants.

My experiences with schools and universities seemed to have better and more humane managers. There were rewards for initiative and effort and honest dialogue.

I wonder, when money is the most important value if we are not all diminished by that.

Windy day here.

Shirlee in NC said...

Lovely Sunday in GSO--daughter and I went to a very good Lebanese market near GSO to stock up on soft, healthy foods--hummus, cucumber sauce, etc. I'm scheduled for minor surgery on tongue to remove precancerous spots. Later this week. Easy compared to some of the surgeries I have had on my tongue at MD Anderson in Houston.
Daughter Brenda is an events planner by profession and carries that into keeping an eye on Mom! Much appreciated.

Doc Watson still in critical condition--apparently was responding a little more until some sort of follow up procedure was done yesterday.

Found some treasures at the library today--
including a series of dvds titled--"Community Voices" It is a series with local people who helped some change happen here--including one who was active in supporting the four black students who took on Woolworth's
in the 1960's.

Libraries are public treasures!!!!!

Good night all--sounds like Puddle and her kiddle had a fine time!!!

puddle said...

Not only are libraries public treasures, so are *librarians*!!

Good luck with the surgery. Doesn't sound like much fun, to say the least. But the Lebanese soft food recovery diet sure does, lol!

We used to have a restaurant in DC named Kabul West -- tiny, with all the cooking done by the grannies and aunties, wait staff by the family fellas. Made Afghani food my absolute favorite variation on middle eastern food.

About mid afternoon, kiddle decided to go back yesterday, and the pace of work was stepped up exponentially! By the time he left at 8, I could barely wiggle I was so exhausted!

There is now an enclosed area in the center of the garden for deer sensitive crops. The strawberries are not in that enclosure, nor will the tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini be. Broccoli and green beans will be. Might try Swiss Chard, a beloved veggie of my childhood, lol! I also need to fold and go ahead and get tomato cages -- I've always staked and tied, but last year they got very far ahead of me, and stayed that way, so. . . .

I might have slept like a log last night, but was too tired to remember to take a couple of Tylenol, so woke again and again to hip pain, poo. And was too tired to get up, come down, and get some. I *did* make it up before the puppy, though.

This blog is a blessing, thank you all for being here!

Jo_in_Vermont said...

good morning! Happy Memorial Day!

this blog is just a blog wiithout the blessing of the folks who join here! love you, thank you for being here and sharing your stories and your wisdom.

Best of luck with the surgery Shirlee - it's so sweet that your daughter is there for help and support. We have some wonderful 'kids', for sure!

If anyone knows how to contact maryvb or LindaB please let them lnow about this blog. something tells me they would like to have a conversation again sans seashell. I miss their voices and always love to hear what they're up to.

puddle said...

http://eatapyzch.blogspot.com/2012/05/he-followed-me-home-can-i-keep-him.html

puddle said...

Am tired. Mostly from yesterday, lol! Not done a whole lot today but try and stay cool. Bit of dishes washing, bit of floor evening, bit of water hauling. Mostly just trying to stay cooler than outside. It's *finally* cooler out than in, so the door is now open. Hate that boxed in feeling. . . .

puddle said...

Jo, I don't have vb's email addy, and she's not noticeably on facebook (that I can determine). Linda knows, 'cause I left the URL on facebook, and she said she'd drop by. Guess I could remind her again. She's so danged busy -- she hasn't even been facebooking recently. Heart of a troo Deaniac, lol!