A rainy day here. We must have brought the rain from Louisiana. A 13 hour driving day brought us home, and it's always such a gift to come home.
We picked up Molly Magee and Winter the cat, and all's right with the world as Robert Browning says about Pippa as she passes.
On NPR yesterday (by the way, the news media is atrocious: Fox and others, propaganda, inflammatory assertions, and the constant commercials of buy, buy, buy-it will solve all of life's problems!) Clay Johnson has written a book called The Information Diet: The Case for Conscious Consumption. His premise is that our media is like our junk food: ubiquitous, enticing, deceptive, in fact helping us close our minds to what is real, verifiable, fact. He argues that people read, watch, and listen to what affirms their biases, seeking affirmation rather than confirmation.
This fits with Puddle's post about the brain and conservative thinking.
I'm amazed at how the old blog became that for at least some people, pasting after pasting of propaganda and no analysis nor ability to discuss other perspectives.
I may have said this before that researchers introduced Chinese college students to our commercials and there was no reaction. It took repetition to teach them how to respond. Think of how our propagandizing from news, to opinion, to commercials has changed the human brain.
Worse yet, without ethics, with motivations for profit, influence, and power, think of the major role our media plays in our culture.
It's irresponsible, manipulative, and destructive, in my opinion, in its lack of accountability.
In response to Puddle's post about her SIL and soda in schools. I was SO glad when that ban happened. I hadn't allowed it at home so my kids weren't addicted to it--and didn't expect it.
Another good Nixon decision--when they were trying to cut funding to higher education--he insisted they keep a program for some low income university students. I was a grateful beneficiary of that--although like Puddle had to swallow my pride when I saw it was awarded because of financial circumstances. It was enough for tuition, books, gas from home to the University of Michigan 90 miles away 3 times a week. Money for lodging one night a week also- because it was such a long drive. It was a great relief to my family. My husband's factory wages could go to supporting our 5 kids, etc. When I graduated and began work I dutifully trekked to the administration building at MSU to re-pay. Only to learn, way after the fact, that during that time teachers and librarians were in such short supply that it had been a grant--not a loan. I have always been glad I did re-pay it--maybe helped somebody else.
Maryland had a tuition remission program that covered two of my last three years. Just promise to teach in the school system in Maryland for three years. When I finally got to my first ed class, and realized I wasn't going to be a teacher, and switched to a straight English degree, we had to pay it back before they'd give me my degree, lol!
Pat -- when I showed my Chinese students the American Embassy library films (USIA), they could *never* get them on one viewing. MUCH too fast paced. A friend who teaches Radio/TV/Film at the university level used to show her classes TV commercials from the fifties: average length two minutes. By that time, the average American commercial was ten seconds. She said the kids were majorly uncomfortable after thirty seconds, and were ready to chew off an arm and a leg after two minutes. . . .
Family's gathered around dinner table, when Dad comes in.
Hi Hi Guess what What I have a surprise What surprise Guess We can't guess Daddy, tell us! No Yes! Well. . . PLEASE! Okay It's outside What IS it? Oh, go look Whole family treks out. Shiny new car in driveway. Everyone splits and pets part of the car. Ooohh How shiny this bumper is! How shiny this mirror is! How nicely this door opens! And closes! Get in everybody Every body gets in and bounces on seats Every body gets out and pets the car some more Neighbor comes over and likes the paint color etc etc etc etc etc etc
Good afternoon all! Tomorrow, Burt and I go to our Congressional District Convention to try to get elected to the National Convention.
We are very fortunate to have a benefactor that is willing to cover our airfare with their points if we are selected. However that still leaves our hotel, food and incidentals. I am considering selling/auctioning my 4' X 3' Washington for Dean sign (personally signed by the man himself!) from the visit he made to Seattle when he was running. At that time, he was stunned by the size of the crowds and said to us, in the private meeting, "Wow! Seeing that great crowd of people, this is the first time I actually felt that we could really do this!"
Anyone have any ideas on what I should do? I've reached out to the Backbone Campaign as well as I've been a supporter there ever since the DeanFest in San Diego. Haven't heard back from Bill yet. He did authorize my getting two of those great TShirts for my donation of $15 per month since the website only saw the $15 and not the total of $180 per yr which was over the minimum donation of $50 required to receive a shirt.
Any suggestions are welcome. I realize that most of us Deaniacs aren't flush, so I'm not asking for a handout, but only if you have any ideas on how/where to sell or auction. I'm not good on Ebay and don't personally know anyone that is.
Barb, that's exciting, hope you guys make it!! (And you *deserve it*!! Heck, since it's in NC, we might could even have a mini-DeanFest. . . .
eBay's not a terrific place to sell political memorabilia: as jjem could tell you. Plus, it doesn't sell for what our heart tells us it should. When I was strapped, I checked out the possibility of selling my "unused" tickets to Kennedy's Inaugural Ball, (We did go, just never found anyone to take the tickets off of us, lol!) and was shocked at the asking prices: ten, fifteen bucks. . . . Decided the memories were worth more than that. But the place to offer would seem to be at one of your various political gatherings. Might not hurt to make up a "document" detailing its history, and the conversation -- history helps. Maybe a local bookstore that does political stuff would allow a silent auction? Library? You guys have a newsletter?
Vis a vis what children drink. One fine summer day, Cooter asked for something to drink. Bad mommy, we were out of both juice and milk. I offered him a glass of water. . . . He took it. Inspected it. Smelled it. And finally said: You can *drink* this? He was four years old, and could never remember drinking water, lol! (No pop or Koolaid in our house, evah.) And I felt really bad -- remembered my summers running around/playing outside, and just running a glass of cold tap water, and *how good* that tasted!
Well, the Inaugural Ball tickets have gone up. And I have two. But maybe not: this ticket is for the Mayflower. Mine are for the Armory. . . . (Worker bees Ball, lol!)
Thanks for this link, Puddle, interesting--but see I need to go back to it earlier in the day. Much appreciated.
for Barb--if GSO were closer to Charlotte--you could bring sleeping bags and spread them on my fairly large living room floor! But as I remember Charlotte is at least a two hour drive away--in the far sw corner of the state.
My daughter and I drove there a year or so ago to see Doc Watson.Very glad we did--he has cut his tour schedule way back. He is 89 and a NC icon and national treasure. He used to come to GSO regularly.
This is truly a crude thread, but I admit I can't stop laughing. . . .
Mouse boobs! (8+ / 0-)
Any hate mail week that mentions boobless mice being forced into gay marriage by Vaseline coated leather slaves is definitely above average. Both the top two could be quarterly finalists, IMO.
Progress 365 not just a slogan a goal - 300 progressive seats in the House and 65 progressive seats in the Senate.
by jusjtim35 on Sat May 19, 2012 at 02:51:31 PM EDT
Howdy, ladies! re: this news, I'd be willing to bet a bundle that sea would be screaming entrapment or something and siding with the terrorists. just saying...
Chicago (CNN) -- Three men charged with conspiring to commit domestic terrorism during the NATO summit were plotting to attack President Obama's Chicago campaign headquarters, the Chicago mayor's home and police stations, authorities said Saturday.
A police investigation that began early this month revealed that the three suspects are "self-proclaimed anarchists" and members of the "Black Bloc" group who traveled together from Florida to Chicago to commit violence as a protest against the NATO summit, authorities said in a statement.
Diplomatic marathon: G8 focusing on Greece; NATO, on Afghanistan
"Black Bloc" was the group blamed for violence that occurred in recent "Occupy" protests, such as in Rome last year when anarchists in ski masks torched cars and clashed with police and even other Occupy protesters.
The three men were planning to destroy police cars and attack four Chicago police district stations with destructive devices as a way to undermine police response to other planned actions at the NATO summit, according to a statement by Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez and Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy. Downtown Chicago financial institutions were also among the proposed targets, authorities said.
An Illinois judge set bail at $1.5 million for each of the three suspects: Brian Church, 22, of Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Jared Chase, 27, of Keene, New Hampshire; and Brent Betterly, 24, who told police he resides in Massachusetts, authorities said.
The three men were charged with material support for terrorism, conspiracy to commit terrorism, and possession of explosives or incendiary devices, authorities said. The three men were arrested Wednesday, and charges were announced Saturday, according to authorities.
"The individuals that we have charged in this investigation are not peaceful protesters. They are domestic terrorists who came to Chicago with an anarchist agenda to harm our police officers, intimidate our citizens and to attack their politically motivated targets," said Alvarez.
Barb I have some hotel points you could use. I'll email you, too.
Long day here, kinda of crappy. The morons in the neighborhood retaliated against the gang task force being out last night, making arrests. Red gang signs (tags) everywhere, including my wood fence. So I rented a pressure washer and it looks brand new now. Henry did an awesome job cleaning up the sidewalks, too. The task force is back, setting up cameras and stakeouts. Too much excitement for me!
Ah, D ~~ sorry about your fence. When I lived in a college town, I learned about having to get egg off of your house siding, FAST. If you wait, you end up having to repaint.
new thread - just had to post an image from facebook!
Barb, Aziz has a new blog for Dean2016 - you may find a buyer there or better yet he or someone there may know of some financing to help with your trip so you can KEEP IT!
used a restore point on my 'puter to try to get rid of the crazy cursor problem - it was impossible to type even a few words without it jumping to anywhere, including opening links etc! pita. it worked - YAY!
I think t was due to an update that was confused that I was using a wireless mouse but not the wireless keypad....
20 comments:
Good Morning,
A rainy day here. We must have brought the rain from Louisiana. A 13 hour driving day brought us home, and it's always such a gift to come home.
We picked up Molly Magee and Winter the cat, and all's right with the world as Robert Browning says about Pippa as she passes.
On NPR yesterday (by the way, the news media is atrocious: Fox and others, propaganda, inflammatory assertions, and the constant commercials of buy, buy, buy-it will solve all of life's problems!) Clay Johnson has written a book called The Information Diet: The Case for Conscious Consumption. His premise is that our media is like our junk food: ubiquitous, enticing, deceptive, in fact helping us close our minds to what is real, verifiable, fact. He argues that people read, watch, and listen to what affirms their biases, seeking affirmation rather than confirmation.
This fits with Puddle's post about the brain and conservative thinking.
I'm amazed at how the old blog became that for at least some people, pasting after pasting of propaganda and no analysis nor ability to discuss other perspectives.
I may have said this before that researchers introduced Chinese college students to our commercials and there was no reaction. It took repetition to teach them how to respond. Think of how our propagandizing from news, to opinion, to commercials has changed the human brain.
Worse yet, without ethics, with motivations for profit, influence, and power, think of the major role our media plays in our culture.
It's irresponsible, manipulative, and destructive, in my opinion, in its lack of accountability.
And with that, I'm off for a nap.
I hope today is a good day for all.
In response to Puddle's post about her SIL and soda in schools. I was SO glad when that ban happened. I hadn't allowed it at home so my kids weren't addicted to it--and didn't expect it.
Another good Nixon decision--when they were trying to cut funding to higher education--he insisted they keep a program for some low income university students. I was a grateful beneficiary
of that--although like Puddle had to swallow my pride when
I saw it was awarded because of financial circumstances. It was enough for tuition, books, gas from home to the University of Michigan 90 miles away 3 times a week. Money for lodging
one night a week also- because it was such a long drive.
It was a great relief to my family. My husband's factory wages could go to supporting our 5 kids, etc.
When I graduated and began work I dutifully trekked to the administration building at MSU to re-pay. Only to learn, way after the fact, that during that time teachers and librarians were in such short supply
that it had been a grant--not a loan. I have always been glad I did re-pay it--maybe helped somebody else.
Maryland had a tuition remission program that covered two of my last three years. Just promise to teach in the school system in Maryland for three years. When I finally got to my first ed class, and realized I wasn't going to be a teacher, and switched to a straight English degree, we had to pay it back before they'd give me my degree, lol!
Pat -- when I showed my Chinese students the American Embassy library films (USIA), they could *never* get them on one viewing. MUCH too fast paced. A friend who teaches Radio/TV/Film at the university level used to show her classes TV commercials from the fifties: average length two minutes. By that time, the average American commercial was ten seconds. She said the kids were majorly uncomfortable after thirty seconds, and were ready to chew off an arm and a leg after two minutes. . . .
I'm *sure* we've rewired ourselves.
Car commercial:
Family's gathered around dinner table, when Dad comes in.
Hi
Hi
Guess what
What
I have a surprise
What surprise
Guess
We can't guess Daddy, tell us!
No
Yes!
Well. . .
PLEASE!
Okay It's outside
What IS it?
Oh, go look
Whole family treks out.
Shiny new car in driveway.
Everyone splits and pets part of the car.
Ooohh How shiny this bumper is!
How shiny this mirror is!
How nicely this door opens!
And closes!
Get in everybody
Every body gets in and bounces on seats
Every body gets out and pets the car some more
Neighbor comes over and likes the paint color
etc
etc
etc
etc
etc
etc
Bet the Chinese students would have gotten that one just fine, grin. . . .
Good afternoon all! Tomorrow, Burt and I go to our Congressional District Convention to try to get elected to the National Convention.
We are very fortunate to have a benefactor that is willing to cover our airfare with their points if we are selected. However that still leaves our hotel, food and incidentals. I am considering selling/auctioning my 4' X 3' Washington for Dean sign (personally signed by the man himself!) from the visit he made to Seattle when he was running. At that time, he was stunned by the size of the crowds and said to us, in the private meeting, "Wow! Seeing that great crowd of people, this is the first time I actually felt that we could really do this!"
Anyone have any ideas on what I should do? I've reached out to the Backbone Campaign as well as I've been a supporter there ever since the DeanFest in San Diego. Haven't heard back from Bill yet. He did authorize my getting two of those great TShirts for my donation of $15 per month since the website only saw the $15 and not the total of $180 per yr which was over the minimum donation of $50 required to receive a shirt.
Any suggestions are welcome. I realize that most of us Deaniacs aren't flush, so I'm not asking for a handout, but only if you have any ideas on how/where to sell or auction. I'm not good on Ebay and don't personally know anyone that is.
Hugs to all!
Shirlee, found this, and thought of you, lol!
Your Brain on Politics: The Cognitive Neuroscience of Liberals and Conservatives
Barb, that's exciting, hope you guys make it!! (And you *deserve it*!! Heck, since it's in NC, we might could even have a mini-DeanFest. . . .
eBay's not a terrific place to sell political memorabilia: as jjem could tell you. Plus, it doesn't sell for what our heart tells us it should. When I was strapped, I checked out the possibility of selling my "unused" tickets to Kennedy's Inaugural Ball, (We did go, just never found anyone to take the tickets off of us, lol!) and was shocked at the asking prices: ten, fifteen bucks. . . . Decided the memories were worth more than that. But the place to offer would seem to be at one of your various political gatherings. Might not hurt to make up a "document" detailing its history, and the conversation -- history helps. Maybe a local bookstore that does political stuff would allow a silent auction? Library? You guys have a newsletter?
Okay, I'm out of idears.
Vis a vis what children drink. One fine summer day, Cooter asked for something to drink. Bad mommy, we were out of both juice and milk. I offered him a glass of water. . . . He took it. Inspected it. Smelled it. And finally said: You can *drink* this? He was four years old, and could never remember drinking water, lol! (No pop or Koolaid in our house, evah.) And I felt really bad -- remembered my summers running around/playing outside, and just running a glass of cold tap water, and *how good* that tasted!
Barb -- this is what eBay is now offering. . . .
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=howard%20dean%20political%20memorabilia&_sop=15
Well, the Inaugural Ball tickets have gone up. And I have two. But maybe not: this ticket is for the Mayflower. Mine are for the Armory. . . . (Worker bees Ball, lol!)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-F-Kennedy-Original-Inaugural-Ball-Ticket-/380440550495?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5894061c5f
Thanks for this link, Puddle, interesting--but see I need to go back to it earlier in the day.
Much appreciated.
for Barb--if GSO were closer to Charlotte--you could bring sleeping bags and spread them on my fairly large living room floor!
But as I remember Charlotte is at least a two hour drive away--in the far sw corner of the state.
My daughter and I drove there a year or so ago to see Doc Watson.Very glad we did--he has cut his tour schedule way back. He is 89 and a NC icon and national treasure. He used to come to GSO regularly.
This is truly a crude thread, but I admit I can't stop laughing. . . .
Mouse boobs! (8+ / 0-)
Any hate mail week that mentions boobless mice being forced into gay marriage by Vaseline coated leather slaves is definitely above average. Both the top two could be quarterly finalists, IMO.
Progress 365 not just a slogan a goal - 300 progressive seats in the House and 65 progressive seats in the Senate.
by jusjtim35 on Sat May 19, 2012 at 02:51:31 PM EDT
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/05/19/1092841/-Saturday-hate-mail-a-palooza-Nazi-field-mouses-and-mandatory-gay-marriage-#comments
Howdy, ladies! re: this news, I'd be willing to bet a bundle that sea would be screaming entrapment or something and siding with the terrorists. just saying...
Chicago (CNN) -- Three men charged with conspiring to commit domestic terrorism during the NATO summit were plotting to attack President Obama's Chicago campaign headquarters, the Chicago mayor's home and police stations, authorities said Saturday.
A police investigation that began early this month revealed that the three suspects are "self-proclaimed anarchists" and members of the "Black Bloc" group who traveled together from Florida to Chicago to commit violence as a protest against the NATO summit, authorities said in a statement.
Diplomatic marathon: G8 focusing on Greece; NATO, on Afghanistan
"Black Bloc" was the group blamed for violence that occurred in recent "Occupy" protests, such as in Rome last year when anarchists in ski masks torched cars and clashed with police and even other Occupy protesters.
The three men were planning to destroy police cars and attack four Chicago police district stations with destructive devices as a way to undermine police response to other planned actions at the NATO summit, according to a statement by Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez and Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy. Downtown Chicago financial institutions were also among the proposed targets, authorities said.
An Illinois judge set bail at $1.5 million for each of the three suspects: Brian Church, 22, of Fort Lauderdale, Florida; Jared Chase, 27, of Keene, New Hampshire; and Brent Betterly, 24, who told police he resides in Massachusetts, authorities said.
The three men were charged with material support for terrorism, conspiracy to commit terrorism, and possession of explosives or incendiary devices, authorities said. The three men were arrested Wednesday, and charges were announced Saturday, according to authorities.
"The individuals that we have charged in this investigation are not peaceful protesters. They are domestic terrorists who came to Chicago with an anarchist agenda to harm our police officers, intimidate our citizens and to attack their politically motivated targets," said Alvarez.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/19/us/nato-terror-suspects/index.html?eref=igoogledmn_topstories
Yep. It's a plot. Rahm turned 'em in, I betcha. And, after all. . . . Chicago. Nothing *good* evah happens in Chicago, right?
:^}
Barb I have some hotel points you could use. I'll email you, too.
Long day here, kinda of crappy. The morons in the neighborhood retaliated against the gang task force being out last night, making arrests. Red gang signs (tags) everywhere, including my wood fence. So I rented a pressure washer and it looks brand new now. Henry did an awesome job cleaning up the sidewalks, too. The task force is back, setting up cameras and stakeouts. Too much excitement for me!
Ah, D ~~ sorry about your fence. When I lived in a college town, I learned about having to get egg off of your house siding, FAST. If you wait, you end up having to repaint.
new thread - just had to post an image from facebook!
Barb, Aziz has a new blog for Dean2016 - you may find a buyer there or better yet he or someone there may know of some financing to help with your trip so you can KEEP IT!
http://www.dean2016.com/
used a restore point on my 'puter to try to get rid of the crazy cursor problem - it was impossible to type even a few words without it jumping to anywhere, including opening links etc! pita. it worked - YAY!
I think t was due to an update that was confused that I was using a wireless mouse but not the wireless keypad....
Thanks so much Puddle. Much appreciated and I'll discuss your ideas with Burt.
OOPS Guess it would post if I actually clicked the Publish button. :o)
Post a Comment